Author Topic: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts! (1973-77...more stories to come)  (Read 7591 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts! (1973-76...more stories to come)
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2023, 11:03:17 AM »
re: Aerosmith - what a crazy story. Talk about jumping through hoops to get to a gig. Wow. The GF wasn't worth it. ha ha ha. Forgetting the bleacher ticket though...you got LUCKY.
Yes, most definitely a crazy day/night with lots of repercussions :mehlin!

re: McCartney and Wings - man, I didn't really get into the Beatles until a couple years ago (knew the hits, but didn't do the deep dive). So I'm jealous you got peak McCartney. I've actually yet to check out his Wings material. I plan to this year.

This was a top 50 show for me (going on 800 next week with AB)! Like I said, EVERYTHING about this concert was top notch! PM really hit a homerun with this tour! As far as Wings go, they had a great run of albums from Band on The Run through Back to the Egg. :corn

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2023, 05:56:06 PM »
The next 3 concerts upcoming were all in the summer of 1976 and all 3 were outside stadium shows (Yes/Frampton, Kiss/etc & Jethro Tull). NONE were great experiences for different reasons and the stories will bear that out....coming soon...

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2023, 09:31:51 PM »
Show # / Group(s) / Date / Venue / Entry / # shows for year
1   Led Zeppelin 7/29/73  Madison Square Garden  F
2   Elton John / The Sutherland Brothers & Quiver  9/23/73  Madison Square Garden F
3   Emerson, Lake & Palmer / Stray Dog  12/18/73  Madison Square Garden F   (3)
4   Grand Funk Railroad  4/22/74  Madison Square Garden H
5   Mott The Hoople / Queen  5/11/74  Uris Theater L   
6   The WHO / Montrose  6/14/74  Madison Square Garden F    
7   Yes / Gryphon  11/20/74  Madison Square Garden F    
8   Elton John / Kiki Dee (John Lennon appearance11/28/74  Madison Square Garden  L    (5)
9   Led Zeppelin  2/7/75  Madison Square Garden F
10 Queen / Argent / Kansas 2/21/75  The Capitol Theater  P/L   
11 Jethro Tull / Carmen  3/7/75  Madison Square Garden F   
12 Alice Cooper / Suzi Quatro  5/5/75  Madison Square Garden F
13 Bad Company / Maggie Bell  5/30/75  Madison Square Garden F   
14 Chicago / The Beach Boys  6/14/75  Madison Square Garden F   
15 Pink Floyd 6/15/75  Roosevelt Stadium P   
16 The Rolling Stones 6/27/75  Madison Square Garden F   
17 Aerosmith / Ted Nugent  8/29/75  Wollman Rink (Central Park) P   
18 Black Sabbath / Aerosmith 12/3/75  Madison Square Garden  F
19 KISS / Blue Oyster Cult / Leslie West Band  12/31/75 Nassau Coliseum  S   (11)
20 Queen / The Cate Brothers  2/6/76  Beacon Theater P
21 Queen  2/7/76  Beacon Theater S   
22 The WHO / The Steve Gibbons Band  3/11/76  Madison Square Garden  F
23 David Bowie  3/26/76  Madison Square Garden F   
24 Bad Company / Kansas  4/5/76  Madison Square Garden F
25 Genesis  4/9/76  Beacon Theater (early show) S/H   
26 Aerosmith / Ted Nugent  5/10/76  Madison Square Garden  F   
27 Paul McCartney & Wings  5/25/76 Madison Square Garden F
28 Yes / Peter Frampton / Gary Wright  6/12/76  JFK Stadium P   
29 KISS / J. Geils Band / Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band  7/10/76  Roosevelt Stadium  P
30 Jethro Tull / Robin Trower  7/23/76  Shea Stadium  P
31 Elton John / Billy Connolly (comedian8/11/76  Madison Square Garden P   
32 Elton John  8/13/76  Madison Square Garden F
33 Elton John  8/17/76  Madison Square Garden F   
34 Billy Joel 10/2/76  The Capitol Theater H   
35 Peter Frampton  10/8/76  Madison Square Garden S/G
36 Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band  10/30/76  The Palladium H
37 The Bee Gees / Tavares Brothers  12/2/76  Madison Square Garden S/G   
38 Black Sabbath / Ted Nugent  12/6/76  Madison Square Garden F
39 Aerosmith / Rick Derringer  12/16/76  Madison Square Garden P   (20)

28  Yes / Peter Frampton / Gary Wright  6/12/76  JFK Stadium
The 2nd longest concert day of my life (only to be topped in 1980 which went much better).

It was really difficult for me to purposely NOT ATTEND a concert that some of my “crew” were planning on going to. MOST of the time I was really glad I went. Some of the time, regardless of the quality of the band or concert itself, I wish I hadn’t. This was one of those times.

A few weeks earlier, a bunch of guys at our schoolyard had a handful of tickets for the Yes concert in Philadelphia and were looking for takers. Not scalping or anything, just looking for people to make a day of it, and they had obviously bought too many tickets. I mean, Yes WAS playing in our hometown only a few days after the Philly show, but the allure of A) a road trip, B) a Saturday “all day” concert, C) the hottest performer at the time in Peter Frampton also on the bill & D) the upcoming Yes show in Jersey City was on a Thursday night & school night, was hard to resist. So, me and two of my same aged 16 yr old buddies bought the tickets and secured plans for the ride with some of the older guys who had cars. All in, we had two cars going carrying 10 of us in total. We decided to meet at the schoolyard at 10am on the day of the show and trek down to Philly for the 4pm show. Seemed a little early to me, but I wasn’t driving, and they figured the earlier we got there, the earlier the partying could start. It was the beginning of a VERY LONG & arduous day!

The drive down was pretty seamless until we actually got to Philly. Even at around noon, the 3-5 mile area around JFK stadium was in gridlock! Both cars decided to park about a mile away instead of dealing with the horde of people and traffic trying to get to the stadium parking. We just parked on some side street, all got out of the car (food & drink in 3 BIG coolers in tow) and just decided to hang out and party there. We weren’t the only ones, and the neighborhood people did not look so happy. We were playing loud music on boom boxes, smoking pot and drinking beer but not once did police bother us. They probably couldn’t get there! At one point I went to take a piss way down the end of the block, across the street in a small sandlot baseball field, and saw a guy with his girl, right there, humping in the grass! :omg: All I could think of was, “this is my woodstock”!  :metal

At around 3pm, all liquored up and buzzing nicely, we decided to make the long walk to JFK stadium :facepalm:. We were in a steady stream of thousands of people hoofing it. SO many girls, wearing basically nothing too :P, as it was a REALLY HOT day! We all figured “they’re here for Frampton”! By the time we got to the stadium, the lines getting into the place were massively long. We didn’t wait. I don’t want to admit that we were all pretty much assholes, but we were :loser:. We all walked about two thirds up the line and just cut in. We got yelled at, threatened, etc. but the guys I was with could care less. All part of being 16-18, arrogant and fearless. By now, between the heat, the drinking, the walk and being high, I was completely exhausted. Even with cutting the line, it took a while to finally get in and we all at once headed to the bathrooms. I can still feel the relief!  :biggrin:

Once we entered the stands, it really did seem like Woodstock! I had NEVER seen so many people in one place in my life! :omg: I had been to two outdoor concerts (one at the 10 thousand Wollman Rink & once at Roosevelt Stadium in JC which had about 40 thousand) but THIS was something completely different. There had to be 100 thousand people here! AT LEAST! Just a sea of humanity that was incredibly amazing to me. :o We all had agreed to meet back at the car after the show in case we got split up, which was inevitable. Myself and Scott wound up going off on our own, not purposely, it just happened. After a few minutes, Gary Wright came on stage. He played for about a half hour and the two songs I knew by him were performed really well. Not that I could see him or his band that well, as we were pretty far back. At one point, Scott, who had taken a hit of mescaline just before we entered (I never understood taking hard drugs, I mean, how high do you have to be? ::)) wanted to go down to the field, which I was somehow able to talk him out of…for a while. There were so many people on the field, there was no way of staying together. As we walked around, we bumped into my buddy Mike who stayed with us. That was great for me because as soon as Frampton came on stage, I couldn’t find Scott. He was just “gone”! Mike and I found a decent place to stand in the stands and watched Frampton from a decent sightline. This is where things got crazy….

During Frampton’ set (which was basically his “alive” album in full and VERY enjoyable :tup), the girls were going crazy. There were these two girls who were right next to us dancing and singing…oh and jumping up and down and all over the two of us ;D. The fact that they were both “stacked” and bra-less made us VERY HAPPY :hefdaddy! During one of his love songs, we partnered up and started making out with these two very “motivated” girls (who were at least 2 or 3 years older than we were and pretty “tanked up” themselves). Things were REALLY going well, and we’re goin’ at it like nobody else was there. Hands everywhere without a care as the music continues. The next thing I knew, I get a hard punch to the side of my head, and I’m knocked down a row or two. As I shake my head clear, I see two guys jumping on Mike and throwing fists. I jumped in and just started hauling punches. Before you knew it, it was a melee with about twenty people involved :omg:. I can’t even remember how many punches I got hit with, but it was a pretty good ass whoopin’ I took, even though I was really no worse for wear. As the pile continued to fight, I was able to pull Mike away and split as we watched the huge brawl continue. It was kind of funny actually watching about twenty people fighting for who knows what reason. I had a bloody nose and I could feel a knot on my eye, but Mike got it worse, although we didn’t immediately know it. We went two sections further away and went back down the long flight of stairs to pick up the show where we left off. Frampton by now was starting the great, “Do You Feel, Like We Do” and all was right again until Mike started throwing up. Now, we both just figured the fight brought up the beer we had been drinking, but looking back and knowing what we know, he probably had a concussion. He said he WAS kicked in the head a couple of times during the fight. The good thing was that two very cool people let us sit in their spots on the bench in the row. That worked out as we stayed there the rest of the show!

As the hot day turned into dusk, Frampton ended his set and the place was insane! I think even the old school proggers enjoyed his performance :justjen. I know Mike & I did (well, we saw most of it). As nighttime approached it started getting cooler and by now, we were starting to feel it. Between our high wearing off and the ass kicking we took starting to kick in, we were freezing and, in some pain, not to mention, FRIGIN’ EXHAUSTED! I remember thinking, I just wanted to go home and get in the shower, but Yes wasn’t even on stage yet. Finally, the stadium lights go out and Yes arrives to a thunderous greeting. The show was awesome and took my mind off the cool night air and pounding head and face. The band, while still pretty far away, played masterfully and looked great. The staging and lighting was awesome as were the multiple laser effects they used. They closed their set with “Ritual” which was really mind blowing. Of course, they came back and played “Roundabout” which had the whole stadium in a frenzy. Once that ended, Mike and I decided that was enough and we started to leave. While we were walking towards the exit, they came back for another encore, “I’m Down” by the Beatles, which Mike wanted to go back inside, but I talked him out of it. We just listened as we walked away from the stadium on the long walk to the cars.

The walk seemed to take forever because we actually went too far. :facepalm: We had no real idea where the cars were! We wound up making our way back, walking up and down three or four blocks before I finally saw the sandlot park from earlier. By the time we got there, some of our group was already back and everyone seemed a bit grumpy. It was just too long of a day. Not everyone arrived as of yet, but we had a driver and 5 of us climbed in his car and took off. Didn’t make much sense waiting. The next night I found out that the other driver and a crew including Scott didn’t get home until 5am because they all had trouble finding the car! It was a really good concert, but honestly not worth everything we dealt with! I had a shiner and headache the next day, and a good story to tell my friends for days!

29  KISS / J. Geils Band / Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band  7/10/76  Roosevelt Stadium

A month later, I was back at an outside stadium show! :facepalm: We had a bunch of us going as Kiss were now pretty popular with most in our group, especially after I told everyone how great they were on NYE last year. About 8 of us purchased tickets for the show, and on a HOT Saturday night, after a good helping of beer, headed down route 440 to the stadium*
*fun fact. Many years later, after the stadium was long torn down, two of my buddies, now married with kids, both bought condos in the exact area where they saw this show with me!

The show started at 7:30 with a band we didn’t know at all, so we just hung outside, running into many high school friends, and just listening to the music while getting high. I was “free” tonight (and the rest of the week) as my family had driven to upstate NY for the week to visit my stepdad’ family. :tup Once the first band ended, we went inside. We went to the field area but stayed pretty far back to just relax and enjoy the night. Next up was Bob Seger, who I had heard of but didn’t know any songs by. He and the Silver Bullet Band were great rockers and little did I know that he would explode onto the bigtime scene soon enough. :hat After their performance, I thought Kiss would be next. Nope! Next was the J.Geils band. Another band who I had heard of but didn’t know any songs by. They were very energetic, but I wasn’t as impressed with them as I was with Seger. By now, I just wanted Kiss! :corn   

Finally, Kiss, in all their explosive glory, hit the stage. Smoke, bombs, flash pots, LET’S GO! :metal :metal :metal Their latest album, “Destroyer” had been out a few months and was generally received by most of us as a really good one! A nice follow up to the great “live” album with some really great rockers. They opened the show with the opening pair from the album, and the place went crazy! It was another great spectacle by Kiss, and even then I thought, “what they may lack in musical originality, they more than make up for in performance & theatrics”! This band kicked ASS on stage, there was no doubting that! The set ended with “Flaming Youth” which I thought was cool at the time, but in the many years that followed, the fact that I got to see this very rarely played track meant something to me. An incredible 4 song encore followed, closing with everybody’s rockin’ mantra at the time, “Rock and Roll All Night”!

On the long walk back from the concert, everyone was in agreement that Kiss was a fantastic live band! The staging, the blood, the fire, the lights, ON TOP of some really rockin’ songs! What more could you ask for? :hefdaddy

30  Jethro Tull / Robin Trower  7/23/76  Shea Stadium

Another damn outdoor show, and unfortunately, the weather REALLY spoiled the fun for this one. :tdwn This was supposed to be a pretty special show for me. I was seeing a band I had really grown to like, had seen them before and loved it AND the show was at MY TEAM’ stadium! I had been to the big shea MANY times for Mets & Jets games, but now I’d be there for a rock show.

4 of my concert buddies and I arrived at the stadium late and missed the opening act, Rory Gallagher, who I knew nothing about. The big problem was the damn rain, which at times was annoying >:( and at others a downright deluge! :censored None of us brought umbrellas or ponchos (oh no, we were too cool “stupid” for that and we were soaked before we even got to our seats (which weren’t that great, but not horrible). We actually got to our soggy seats as Robin Trower was on stage. I found his guitar playing decent, but a couple of my buddies were big fans and loved his performance which we all witnessed through the raindrops. There was no sense worrying about trying to stay out of the rain as we were already drenched. I bought a Mets hat to try and avoid some of the rain, but my shorts, sneakers and newly purchased Jethro Tull shirt were drenched. I got up and watched the last half of Trower’ set from the concession area, chomping on hot dogs and pretzels. Since we were late getting started there was no drinking. Just some joints to keep us warm. Once Trower finished, we all just walked around the promenade to try and dry out.

The wait was excruciatingly long, but Jethro Tull finally bounded on stage. Between the crowd & the jets constantly flying overhead, it was a noisy evening for sure! The best thing was the two huge screens that televised close ups of the band on stage! Mostly, the screen image was of Ian Anderson who did his best to entertain the wet crowd. While the set was great and the performance matching, between the rain, the jet noise and the obvious fact that J-Tull was NOT made to be a stadium act, the night was not as good as hoped. I also bitched and moaned on the way to the 7 train, that this was THE LAST stadium show I’ll ever see. That was a lie………… :facepalm:

Next up 3 PHENOMENAL Elton shows at MSG....

Online Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2023, 10:17:01 AM »
So I have to ask - was the brawl due to the fact you were getting down with some dudes' GFs, or was it one of those roving, random brawls? I ask, because I've been involved in both myself, when I was single. LOL. It's too bad it broke out. Your 16 year old self hooking up with willing gals who were a few years older? Score!  :lol As for me, I deserved the first brawl. Pretty much same scenario as you. I was 23, at a concert, and got a nice neck massage from the chest of a very willing 20-something that turned into a bit more for a few minutes...until her boyfriend came back. I deserved it though, I knew it would lead to trouble and started goin' on with her anyway. ha ha ha. Thankfully, no shiner for me, despite punches being thrown. But security tossed them out (I got lucky not to be - they turned their back and I split for the bathroom. Then found an empty seat in another section).

The other brawl was at old Yankee Stadium. Right field near the pole. 1997. Red Sox fans givin' lip after they went up 4-0 in a game, and everyone just started throwin' hands. I got clocked a few times, and dished out some good ones too. Must have been 40 of us involved. My buddies and I ended up splitting before they ended up arresting a bunch of folks. No idea who started it. All I remember is that I just got punched by a dude in a Red Sox shirt. The fucker spilled my beer and that set me off, so I returned the favor. Ah, to be young again. :lol

Sounds like the KISS gig was a good time. I think that's the problem for me and KISS. I'm not a fan, but I think it's more because I never saw them in their prime. They were very much a spectacle act. If you SAW it, it was amazing. If you just listen to the tunes, with no imagery, it just never did anything for me. But I *get* the enjoyment perspective of those who dig them.

As for YES, I've seen them, but I guess they just aren't for me. The hits are fine enough, but I'm not "prog" enough for their music, I think.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2023, 10:33:16 AM »
So I have to ask - was the brawl due to the fact you were getting down with some dudes' GFs, or was it one of those roving, random brawls? I ask, because I've been involved in both myself, when I was single. LOL. It's too bad it broke out. Your 16 year old self hooking up with willing gals who were a few years older? Score!  :lol As for me, I deserved the first brawl. Pretty much same scenario as you. I was 23, at a concert, and got a nice neck massage from the chest of a very willing 20-something that turned into a bit more for a few minutes...until her boyfriend came back. I deserved it though, I knew it would lead to trouble and started goin' on with her anyway. ha ha ha. Thankfully, no shiner for me, despite punches being thrown. But security tossed them out (I got lucky not to be - they turned their back and I split for the bathroom. Then found an empty seat in another section).

I've ALWAYS assumed THAT was the reason, but I didn't stick around to ask :mehlin

The other brawl was at old Yankee Stadium. Right field near the pole. 1997. Red Sox fans givin' lip after they went up 4-0 in a game, and everyone just started throwin' hands. I got clocked a few times, and dished out some good ones too. Must have been 40 of us involved. My buddies and I ended up splitting before they ended up arresting a bunch of folks. No idea who started it. All I remember is that I just got punched by a dude in a Red Sox shirt. The fucker spilled my beer and that set me off, so I returned the favor. Ah, to be young again. :lol

Yeah, I've seen many fights at ballgames over the years, especially at yankee/redsox games (both in NY & Boston)! Never been in one though! But, they're fun to watch! :corn

Sounds like the KISS gig was a good time. I think that's the problem for me and KISS. I'm not a fan, but I think it's more because I never saw them in their prime. They were very much a spectacle act. If you SAW it, it was amazing. If you just listen to the tunes, with no imagery, it just never did anything for me. But I *get* the enjoyment perspective of those who dig them.

That's IT, in a nutshell. :metal

As for YES, I've seen them, but I guess they just aren't for me. The hits are fine enough, but I'm not "prog" enough for their music, I think.

Yes is a band you either love or don't care for at all. At least that's how it was for my large group of friends.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2023, 06:32:50 PM »
2   Elton John / The Sutherland Brothers & Quiver  9/23/73  Madison Square Garden F
8   Elton John / Kiki Dee (John Lennon appearance11/28/74  Madison Square Garden  L    (5)
19 KISS / Blue Oyster Cult / Leslie West Band  12/31/75 Nassau Coliseum  S   (11)
29 KISS / J. Geils Band / Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band  7/10/76  Roosevelt Stadium  P
35 Peter Frampton  10/8/76  Madison Square Garden P/G
37 The Bee Gees / Tavares Brothers  12/2/76  Madison Square Garden P/G   
39 Aerosmith / Rick Derringer  12/16/76  Madison Square Garden F   (20)

31  Elton John / Billy Connolly (comedian)  8/11/76  Madison Square Garden    

I had purchased tickets for a few shows already, but NOT YET on DAY OF SALE! The morning of Monday, May 24th started out as any other school day. Wake up, take a shower and eat some breakfast before heading off to school. I was already pretty excited as I was planning on seeing PMac & Wings the next night, but when the radio DJ said that Elton John tickets would be going on sale at 10am for shows in August at MSG, I went into panic mode! Why? No idea! It’s not like I wouldn’t get into the show without a ticket, but something stirred in me that I “must” get tickets. I didn’t know how much this show would in time, “mean” to me.

I hurried off to school and found my best friend (and fellow Elton music lover) Mike to let him know. Our buddy Tony was there as well and he was also very interested. The problem was that neither Mike nor Tony had any money with them, and I only had twenty bucks (this ticket buying nonsense was annoying  ::)). We decided to skip out of school and the three of us RAN to Tony’ house (about a mile away…oh to be young and in great shape) so he could get money for tickets. Once he got the cash, we once again RAN about half of a mile to the nearest ticketron. We got there and were greeted by about 100 people already on line! :omg: Uh oh! I thought about trying to cut the line, but that was not going to fly here! People were ALL in panic mode! Two shows had been announced and everyone knew that ticket availability would be VERY scarce. At the 10AM people were allowed inside 5 at a time. Within a half hour a person from TM came outside and said both shows were gone, but 2 more will be added at 11AM. We still weren’t anywhere near the front of the line and were starting to panic. By noon, four shows had been sold out and another show was now on sale. There were still about twenty people on the line in front of us. :angry: By the time we finally got inside to buy tickets, two more shows had been added and we FINALLY got tickets (pretty good ones too). We were ecstatic. Tickets for Elton in hand and McCartney tomorrow night. Life was good.

The tickets I had were for night # 2, Aug. 11th (for some reason they sold the shows back to front) and on Tuesday, Aug. 10th, I REALLY wanted to go, but it was my mom’ birthday, so I’d have to wait until Weds night. The night finally arrives and I’m super excited. Going to the show with me were of course Mike & Tony, but also Mike’ g/f and Tony’ cousin Valerie who he had bought tickets for. Now, I had heard that his 15 yr old cousin was “foxy” but when we met up at Journal square, I was speechless. She was BEAUTIFUL!  :hefdaddy A combination of Farrah Fawcett & Susan Anton (‘70’s sexy celebs). I stuttered “what’s up” or something stupid :blush, but I was already “in love”. We all talked about Elton on the train to NYC (Both Mike and I had seen EJ in both ‘73 & ‘74 which impressed the hell out of Valerie) but I could not take my eyes off of her. So much so that Tony gave me a look that said “cool it”. :loser: I tried, but it was hard!

We got to MSG nice and early and grabbed pizza before we went in. I wanted to buy Valerie a shirt but decided it would be way too forward and we just bought our own (I actually bought 3 different shirts for a total of $8 :omg:)! We went to my usual ticket taker who was shocked I actually had a real ticket! :lol I just smiled, shrugged and told him, “I’ll be back”.  ;) Once inside the Garden, you could literally FEEL the electricity. :hat We went to our seats and just talked amongst ourselves for about a half hour before the lights went out and comedian Billy Connelly took the stage. He was a bit crude, a bit silly, but overall, not terrible. BUT, NO ONE was there for anything else but Elton John! Finally, close to 9pm the lights go out, the band starts to rock, and here comes Elton strutting across the stage in a weird, colorful, but simple (for him :D) jacket, sneakers and running pants. The sound in the Garden when he hit the stage was simply deafening! To understand HOW BIG Elton was between ‘73-’76 is hard to describe. In all my years following music, HE was as close to what the Beatles must’ve experienced as I can imagine. His twenty song set that night was simply, NOT ENOUGH! Even after hit after hit, you still wanted…NO, NEEDED more! He just had SO MANY amazing songs! As for his performance? As good as possible! While these ‘76 shows were PHENOMENAL, ALL his shows were phenomenal! :hefdaddy Just a fabulous performer with a fabulous band. By the time EJ and the band fired into “SNAFF” as one of their encores, the Garden was in bedlam! I actually saw security guards holding up metal barriers over their heads while singing, “Saturday…Saturday…Saturday…”. :metal As for the 5 of us, we had one helluva night! After the show ended with a rousing version of “Pinball Wizard”, I walked out of MSG without a voice and dripping wet with sweat...and completely lovestruck! :facepalm:

On the train ride back we laughed, we sang, we talked about the show with everyone on the train. It was like coming back from a party! When we got back to Jersey City, I found the nerve to ask Valerie (much to Tony’ dismay) if she’d like to see a movie sometime. She was sweet but told me that she had a boyfriend. DAMMIT! :tdwn BUT, she then said, “who knows, maybe some time”! :tup It would be almost a year before that some time came, but damn, she was worth the wait! One of THE BEST concerts of my life, and there was even more to it than I could have even hoped for! :heart

32-33    Elton John  8/13 & 17/76     Madison Square Garden
     If it were up to me, I think I would have gone back to all 5 remaining shows, but as it turned out, I “only” went back to two more. Using the “yankee ticket method” I went to these shows with my cousin and other friends. The shows were all incredible, but for the purpose of writing about them, nothing really crazy happened. But, on the final night (17th) myself and my buddy Tommy hopped down to the orchestra for the 4-song encore and got right up to the stage in front of Elton, which was incredible. Plus, that night during “SNAFF”, a cast of fellow celebs came out on stage to sing along. Not only was Alice Cooper and Billie Jean King joining Elton on stage, but my idol at the time, Bernie Taupin (Elton’ lyricist) joined as well and gave me a “high five” from the stage! :metal Damn, shows like these, were truly special occasions!

more 1976 show stories soon........
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 12:16:42 AM by DTwwbwMP »

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2023, 12:12:31 AM »
35 Peter Frampton  10/8/76  Madison Square Garden P/G
37 The Bee Gees / Tavares Brothers  12/2/76  Madison Square Garden P/G   
39 Aerosmith / Rick Derringer  12/16/76  Madison Square Garden F   (20)

34  Billy Joel  10/2/76  The Capitol Theater   
     After the Elton concerts in August, I only had two concerts I was thinking about going to and they were both in December. But one night in September my cousin called me to ask if I had any interest in seeing Billy Joel next month. His fiancé had bought 4 tickets but their friends backed out. Now I can’t say I was a Billy fan at the time. I knew a few songs from the radio and of course “Piano Man”, but while I thought they were good songs, I didn’t have a big desire to see him. So, I called my buddy Mike to see if he wanted the pair for him and his g/f. He wanted to go, but since it was at the Capitol, he had no way to get there, so he asked me to go with him (and we’d go with my cousin). This was how I saw my first (of many) Billy Joel shows.

So, on Saturday night, my cousin picked me and Mike up at my house and off we went. Now, Mike WAS a fan and knew a lot of Billy Joel stuff. I hadn’t brushed up on any before the concert, so I was going in pretty ignorant. All I can say is that it was an enjoyable concert although EXTREMELY low key to what I was used to, but I started to become more receptive to the mellower side of rock and roll. NOT that Billy didn’t have some rockin’ moments, it was just a more subdued show. All in all though, I had a really good time and thanks once again to my cousin, a couple of more shows within weeks would also fall into my lap.

35 Peter Frampton  10/8/76  Madison Square Garden

While going to the Billy Joel show, my cousin’ fiancé asked me if I was seeing Peter Frampton at MSG this week. I told her about seeing him in Philly in June (and of course what transpired during his set) and that I was planning on “probably” going to take my current g/f (very new occurrence) by the “payoff” method. She told me she had tickets for Friday night’ show that she wanted to sell. They were decent seats, so I figured I’d take them and not put my very new g/f through the hassle of finding somewhere to stand. So, even though this wasn’t a concert I was definitely “planning” on going to, it kind of fell into my lap.

Since I now had tickets, my g/f and I were able to comfortably sit back and enjoy. She was MUCH MORE looking forward to the concert, and beforehand I bought her a t-shirt. I didn’t want one as PF at that point was really for the girls. I liked his music and of course loved the live album, but he lacked the real rock n roll swagger I was into. I was a bit taken aback at the start of his show, as he did a 3-4 acoustic set to begin with. It was NOT by any means the massive, big, explosive openings I’ve seen at most concerts. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed his performance in Philly much more. At THAT show, he played the live album, front to back. For this concert, while he played most of it, it was interspaced between slow, acoustic renderings, which I thought killed the momentum every time. My g/f loved it though, and for that, I guess I had to be happy, because SHE was really the reason, I even went at all. I unfortunately had zero interest in seeing PF ever again.

36    Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band  10/30/76  The Palladium
   Like I’ve said before, I have my cousin to thank for a lot of my musical findings :hefdaddy, and one of the bigger ones was Bruce Springsteen (along with a ticket broker in ‘78). I got a call from my cousin Saturday morning telling me he had WON tickets yesterday for tonight’s Springsteen show at the Palladium in NYC. His fiancé had plans and none of his buddies were either free or interested, so he asked if I wanted to go. To put it mildly, I knew NOTHING about Springsteen aside from “Born to Run” which I had heard on the radio but wasn’t really crazy about. BUT it was a chance to hang out with my cousin, so I said yes.

When we got to the Palladium on 14th street in the city, it was a complete zoo. I had no idea that this artist was SO popular :omg: but people were practically BEGGING scalpers to take their money for tickets. It was really eye opening. Now the tickets my cousin won were really excellent. First row in the lower loge section. :tup Nobody in front of us and an absolute perfect spot to watch the show, which I had no idea what I was in for. :corn

When the lights go out and the chants of “BRUUUUUCE” start, I sense this could be something cool. He and the E-Street band (from Jersey which I thought was pretty cool) hit the stage running with one knock out song and performance after another. The fact that I didn’t know any of the songs really made no difference! :hat This guy and band, with no staging, big lights or any special effects accompaniment, just ROCKED! Not to mention the crazy crowd loving every second of it! By the time the show ended 2 hours later with the one song I DID know (which was MUCH BETTER live) I was pretty much converted. :tup

Within the next couple of months (thanks to the Columbia House record club) I had all 3 of Bruce’ albums. I thoroughly enjoyed the latest one “BTR” but actually disliked the first two, so he kind of fell off my radar for about 2 years. But, he would reappear soon in a big way! :tup

37  The Bee Gees / Tavares Brothers  12/2/76  Madison Square Garden   
   Disco. UGH! :loser: My mantra throughout the seventies was “DISCO SUCKS” as were many rock & roll fans! BUT, the Bee Gees were different. I knew so many of their classic 60’s & early seventies songs from the radio and for whatever reason, I didn’t “hate” most of their disco songs of the mid-seventies. Now, I wouldn’t purposely seek them out, but I wouldn’t turn it off if I happened to stumble upon one. So, when my g/f called me and said she heard on the radio that tickets were going on sale for an early December show at MSG, I “knew” what she was hinting at.

The day of the sale, Mike (his g/f wanted to go too) and I went to MSG itself, early in the morning to buy tickets. We figured, getting there by 8am would give us the opportunity for great tickets. THIS was my first real lesson in ticket buying. When we arrived at the Garden, there had to be at least 200-300 people lined up. :omg: We learned that they (or most) had been here since the night before to get their place in line, and most had been given a specific number for the line. Oh well, live and learn. By the time we got to the ticket window, only 4th level (of 5) green seats were left to purchase. I honestly didn’t care. We took them and the girls were thrilled they were going at all.

The night of the show was a Thursday and luckily, I didn’t have a basketball game. :tup After practice, I showered and changed at the high school and met Mike and the girls at the train station. We didn’t drink since it was a school night, but Mike’ g/f had a few joints on her, so we did get a good buzz on. :yarr When we got to NYC, we bought the girls t-shirts and headed inside. While our seats were fairly high up, they were pretty close to the stage, so not terrible! The disco band Tavares opened the show, and while the girls in the audience loved it and were dancing away, I thought it was DREADFUL! :tdwn By 9pm, I was actually looking forward to the Bee Gees. What I got when they finally hit the stage was mellow but very enjoyable! Not only were the songs played and sung spectacularly but towards the ladder part of the concert, I got to watch some of THE MOST INCREDIBLE looking women shake their booties! :omg: The concert itself was a really great musical night with the 3 brothers out front of a large band on a strobe lighted stage. While many concerts are awesome, this one was FUN! I would definitely see them again, disco or no!

38 Black Sabbath / Ted Nugent  12/6/76  Madison Square Garden
     I wasn’t sure about attending this one until the day of the show. While they were decent last time I saw Sabbath, their latest album “Technical Ecstasy” was pretty good, but I didn’t think it was as good as their earlier albums. Over the weekend a few of my buddies decided to go, but I was “on the fence”. I had brought a yankee bleacher ticket with me to school on Monday “just in case”. After basketball practice, I called home to tell my parents I decided to go. They weren’t thrilled, but they said “fine, and don’t get into any trouble”. That was the usual statement! :facepalm:

I headed over to the Garden myself since my buddies weren’t even sure if I was going. After getting something to eat, I passed on a t-shirt and just headed into the show, handing my ticket taker the usual $5 spot (I had recently gone to a couple Rangers hockey games the same way :tup). Once in, I found an open seat in the 2nd tier orange section (luckily for me it remained empty the entire night) and as Ted “the madman” Nugent took the stage, I proceeded to rock away! :metal Even though it seemed like an abbreviated set for Ted, he and the band were awesome and had the crowd on its feet and rockin’ the whole time!

When the lights went out for Sabbath, the crowd got EXTREMELY rowdy:loser: Immediately, firecrackers, cherry bombs and fist fights in the orchestra began. Very early in the show, Iommi got hit with what looked like a beer can in the head. Even Ozzy admonished the crowd to “calm the f**k down”! As the show continued, the new songs didn’t seem to be going down that well and it really wasn’t until the band played their eerie namesake that things really kicked into gear. As the show wound towards its conclusion, Ozzy started with his “I love you all’s” and “I want to see you all go crazy” as I just rolled my eyes, even as the 16 thousand strong heavy metal maniacs worshiped at his evil altar.  :metal To me, Ozzy was the weak link in the band, but once again, I looked like the only one who felt that way. The band is fantastic, and I’ll continue to see them, regardless of how I feel about Ozzy. As I got to the train, I realized that I forgot to get a stub and wound up buying one off of a kid on the train for $5 bucks! :facepalm:

39  Aerosmith / Rick Derringer  12/16/76  Madison Square Garden
     As has been told previously here, Aerosmith was a “top 5” band for me in the seventies. Even though I just saw the band here at MSG in May on the same tour, they were so good that I had to return. Also, I had hoped for a different set including more new numbers from “Rocks” than earlier in the year! Now, normally I would have gone to the 2nd show tomorrow night since it was on a Friday (and the show most of my friends were going to), but I had a basketball game, so I decided to pass on the parting Friday night concert, for a sober Thursday night show. Well, it was obvious that Aerosmith did enough partying for all of us. :eek

My friend Tony decided to go with me to the Thursday show. He was also a fan of Rick Derringer (I didn’t have an opinion either way) so he was also looking forward to the show. We got in with my bleacher tickets as usual and watched Derringer from two empty seats on the side of the stage. Once he finished his enjoyable set and the lights went on, people arrived for their seats, and we had to split. We actually returned to the same section once the lights went out and secured our spots on the stairs. NOW, I was psyched! I could not wait…

As soon as the band burst into “Mama Kin” I could tell something was off. At various points in the song, Tyler would miss his mark and come in late. Both Tom Hamilton & Joe Perry looked “off” as well. After the opening 3 “old” Aero songs, they played a new one. The songs all sounded fine, but I had seen them a few times already and I could tell the mistakes, and there were many! :\ As the show continued, they played a bunch of songs that they didn’t in May, which was awesome, but damn, they were sloppy! BUT in the Aerosmith world of the seventies, sloppy didn’t mean “bad”, it just meant sloppy.

As the show was winding down, the sloppier they were, it seemed the more they ROCKED! :metal Watching them closely, I was shocked they could play their instruments at all or for Steven, remember the lyrics! They rocked through their encore and the crowd seemed not to notice the sloppiness at all. All I can say is that the set list was fantastic, :hefdaddy they basically sounded fine, but the performance didn’t come close to the May show for me. I found a stub on the ground as we headed up the stairs in our section. I was happy! Plus, Tony thought they were great, so maybe it was ME who had the off night :huh: In the future, I’d see them even sloppier and more drugged out than tonight, but hey, that’s rock n roll! :metal

1977 soon..........

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts! (1973-77...'77 stories to come)
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2023, 08:50:25 PM »
Concert List 1977   
Show # / Group(s) / Date / Venue / entry / # shows for year
40    Queen / Thin Lizzy  2/5/77  Madison Square Garden P   
41    Queen / Thin Lizzy  2/6/77  Nassau Coliseum S   
42    Electric Light Orchestra / Steve Hillage  2/11/77  Madison Square Garden F   
43    KISS / Sammy Hagar  2/21/77  Nassau Coliseum P      
44    Genesis  2/23/77  Madison Square Garden F   
45    Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band / Rush / Starz    3/17/77  The Palladium S   
46    The Eagles / Jimmy Buffet  3/18/77  Madison Square Garden F
47    Kansas / Rick Derringer  4/3/77 The Palladium P   
48    Angel / Piper / Legs Diamond  4/16/77  The Palladium S   
49    Boston / Sammy Hagar  4/19/77  Madison Square Garden P
50    Led Zeppelin  6/7/77  Madison Square Garden F
51   Led Zeppelin  6/14/77  Madison Square Garden M
52    Fleetwood Mac / Kenny Loggins  6/29/77  Madison Square Garden F
53    Pink Floyd  7/1/77  Madison Square Garden P   
54    Emerson, Lake & Palmer 7/9/77  Madison Square Garden M
55   Lynyrd Skynyrd   7/13/77 Convention Hall S
56    Bad Company / Climax Blues Band  7/31/77  Madison Square Garden P   
57    Yes / Donovan  8/6/77  Madison Square Garden P   
58    Heart / Aztec Two-Step  8/22/77  Wollman Rink (Central Park) P   
59    Foreigner / Derringer  9/17/77     The Capitol Theater P   
60    Emerson, Lake & Palmer  10/17/77  Madison Square Garden F   
61    Rod Stewart / Air Supply  10/20/77  Madison Square Garden C1   
62   Thin Lizzy / Graham Parker & The Rumor 10/22/77  The Palladium S   
63    Chicago  10/28/77  Madison Square Garden F   
64    Rush / UFO / Cheap Trick  11/12/77  The Palladium P   
65    Jethro Tull / Livingston Taylor  11/29/77  Madison Square Garden C1
66    Queen  12/1/77  Madison Square Garden P   
67    Queen  12/2/77  Madison Square Garden S   
68    Billy Joel  12/11/77 Nassau Coliseum S   
69    KISS / Detective 12/14/77  Madison Square Garden C1   
70   Kansas / Crawler  12/17/77  The Palladium P (31)

40   Queen / Thin Lizzy  2/5/77  Madison Square Garden   
     In November of 1976, Queen issued their new single opus, “Somebody to Love”. I was once again amazed at the depth and complete originality that this great band continues to display. Roughly a month later, not only was the parent album released, but their very first appearance at Madison Square Garden was announced as going on sale! Now, getting into shows at MSG was obviously no problem for me, ticket or not, BUT the actual “buying” of the ticket was becoming “almost” as exciting as going to the show. After the Elton John & Bee Gee ticket buying experiences, I was slowly learning, but I only heard about the sale early Saturday morning on the radio. I immediately grabbed my money, called a few buddies and off we went to NYC to grab our tickets. It really didn’t matter what kind of tickets we could get because once inside, we could find our way to a great spot. BUT I WANTED a Queen MSG ticket “in hand”!
     We got to the Garden around 10am (the announced sale time) and there weren’t THAT many people still gathered. I then heard that because of the large number of people camped out for tickets the night before (Damn, how do they know), the box office started selling tickets at 7am. Anyway, we got to the window and only behind the stage seats were left. Whatever. We grabbed 8 crappy tickets for us and our friends and waited two + months for the show. I could not contain my enthusiasm as I could only imagine what Queen would be like in a huge hall on a big stage!
     As December approached, my basketball schedule came out, and of course, FOR THE FIRST TIME we would be playing on a SATURDAY night…yep, Feb. 5th!  :facepalm:  As February approached, there was NO WAY I was missing this concert. The problem was our team was doing really well and I was having my best season to date. I didn’t say anything to anyone from the basketball team about the show as I wanted to keep it from everyone. Well, the Saturday arrives (snowy & really cold) and I meet my buddies to go to the show. We do a bit of drinking, but I keep it light because I have another game at noon tomorrow (more on that later) and I want to be really ready to make up for not showing up tonight.
     We get to the Garden, and I grab a few different t-shirts (can’t have enough Queen T-shirts!) as do my buddies and we enter MSG. The support band for the tour is a band I’ve come to really like (Thin Lizzy) :metal but have never had the chance to see. I’m really pumped. We get to our seats (low level right behind the stage), but THIS WILL NOT DO!  :tdwn We find a good place near the side of the stage to stand as the lights go out and Thin Lizzy explodes onto the stage with “Jailbreak” (my favorite TL song)! They rocked for the next 45 minutes as hard as possible, and the crowd was REALLY receptive to them. What a start to the evening. While waiting for Queen to come on, as I was getting a soda, I saw 4 high school friends who were at the show. Of course, they ask, “don’t you have a game tonight”? I just laugh it off and say, “I wasn’t missing Queen” and we go our separate ways. THAT would prove to be a mistake!
     The lights go out and we decide we need to be on the floor, so 4 of us hop the wall while the other 4 try another way to sneak down. We wind up splitting up once on the floor, but Tommy stays with me. As the “ADATR” overture is being played through the speakers we get as close as possible but can’t get closer than about the tenth row because the area up front has been blocked off. Pretty smart idea by the people up there! I’m still in prime position as the pyro flash pots explode and the band kicks into “Tie Your Mother Down”. WOW!   :omg: Now THAT’S how you open a rock show! :metal The bombast continues with “Ogre Battle” as more explosions go off seemingly at Freddie’ command!  :coolio The Garden is in a complete frenzy for the next 90 minutes in what was THE MOST perfect example of how to put a set together! Start out rockin’, calm the crowd a bit, play some hits, delve into some of the best new songs and close with a flourish! When Freddie appears in his red & white colorful shorts and suspenders for the glammed-out performances of “Big Spender”/”Jailhouse Rock”, he has twenty thousand people in the palm of his hand.  :hefdaddy I can honestly say that AT THIS POINT this was EASILY the greatest rock concert I’ve seen. :hefdaddy  So much so that a few of my buddies and I decide to travel to Long Island tomorrow night, to witness this spectacle once again! How we get there is to be determined! :huh:

41   Queen / Thin Lizzy  2/6/77  Nassau Coliseum   
     I wake up Sunday morning and get ready to head to the high school for my afternoon game, but first, I have to lock down plans for the concert tonight. The four of us decide to take the LIRR train out of Penn Station in NYC, and we’ll see what happens once we get to Uniondale (once again, how great it was to be young and not to really worry about ANYTHING! :tup). We decided to meet at 5pm at Journal Square to head to NYC. That works for me as my game is at noon and I should be home by 3pm with plenty of time to get ready. We knew we’d have to scalp tickets once we got there, but that was for later.
     I get to the high school and go to our locker room and the questions begin…”where were you”?....”what happened”?...”coach is pissed”...I expected nothing less and found out that we got smoked! Not good. :tdwn We all go up to the court for our shoot around and the coach doesn’t say anything to me. Am I okay? Does he even care that I didn't show up last night? Hmmmm…. :huh: The game is about to begin, and as co-captain, I always meet with the refs at center court, but today, our coach selects another co-captain. SHIT! >:( Then he announces the starting 5 for the game and….I’m not a starter! SHIT…SHIT! >:( >:( As I go to sit on the bench (preferably as far from the coach as possible) he calls me over to sit next to him. SHIT…SHIT…SHIT!  >:( >:( >:( He doesn’t say a word to me, just coaches the game. The first half ends and still nothing. When we start the second half, I’m still not in, but again, he tells me to sit next to him. By now, I’ve found out that my backup had heard from one of the friends I ran into the night before that I was at the concert and this jerk-off told the coach when he got to the gym. :loser: With about a minute left in the game (which we were losing again), the coach turns to me and says “so, how was the concert”? I didn’t know what to say, other than “I’m sorry” (I really wasn’t but, I figured that’s what I should say). That’s the only thing he said to me until practice on Monday when he said to me “give me 50 pushups and ten suicides”. I got the message. :facepalm:
     Anyway, after the game I wanted to fight my backup who told on me but was talked down by a couple of the other players. I let it go and headed home. I was still in a decent mood because I was going to see Queen again tonight! I ate, dressed for the concert and explained to my parents that I would be late because the concert was in Long Island, although I had to lie about transportation telling them Mike’ older brother was driving us. I met my friends and we headed to NYC to get the LIRR. Everything went pretty smoothly, and we got to the Uniondale train station (the site of a tremendous concert story in 1978) around 7pm. We were able to get a cab to take us to the coliseum but had no idea how we’d get back. Oh well, we’re at the arena. We’ll worry about that later. We walked around the freezing complex looking for tickets to buy. We needed 4 tickets, but we couldn’t find anyone with 4 together to scalp. We wound up getting two pairs of tickets on the floor, but way in the back for basically box office price.
     As far as the show, Lizzy once again went over really well. I looked forward to a time I could hopefully see them headline! Queen came on, and as with last night, they were incredible (aside from some minor glitches with the sound and even the lights). While I can’t say the concert was as impressive as the MSG show, it was still fantastic! Once the show ended, reality sunk in as now, we had to find a way to the train station. We discussed what to do, and we just decided to ask people for a ride. Most responded with either “not going that way” or “sorry, no room in the car” but we kept trying. Finally, we got lucky…REALLY LUCKY! My buddy Scott found a couple that were actually driving into Manhattan to get where they were going and offered us a ride! AWESOME!  :tup Not having to worry about trying to get a train home from Long Island made having one of us sit on another’s lap on the ride well worth it. I wound up getting home MUCH EARLIER than I thought I would thanks to some good-natured Queen fanatics! :hefdaddy

42 Electric Light Orchestra / Steve Hillage 2/11/77  Madison Square Garden   
     One of the many “hot” albums of 1976/77 was ELO’s “A New World Record”. The songs were all over FM radio and really piqued my musical interest. They sounded kind of like the Beatles with violins. I purchased the album (as well as their previous greatest hits album shortly thereafter) and became a fan. Not many of my friends were as enthralled except my musical muse, Mike. When we heard they would be at MSG while at the Queen show the week before, we knew we wanted to attend. This would have to be a “fake ticket entry” as the show was sold out (I have to find a way to be more “up” on the concert announcements) but that was fine with us. Since it was a Friday night, I was VERY HAPPY to see that I didn’t have a game that night (which was rare). That week at practice was rough on me, plus, while I did play in Tuesday & Thursdays games, the coach did not start me (or for the final 5 games either). Whatever. Music had taken over.
     After practice on Friday, I met Mike and his g/f (that was a surprise as I didn’t know she was coming) at the train station. While I got along with his g/f (years later who became his wife) I was always a bit uncomfortable when the 3 of us were together, because she was actually my g/f first (see the Aero 5/10/76 concert story) and I always felt Mike had a chip on his shoulder about that. Anyway, we got to the Garden, but when we got to “my” ticket taker, we only had 2 yankee tickets to hand him. I just ASSumed Mike had two with him. We gave him a twenty with the two tickets, but I felt many eyes on us/him. He wasn’t happy, but he took the tickets and let us in. I wanted to berate Mike for being so stupid, but just let it go.
The opening band, Steve Hillage, was pretty dull so we just walked around inside the arena as he played. Once finished, we decided to find a place to stand, but Mike’ g/f wasn’t feeling well (lady problems) and while he obviously stayed with her, I split to go on my own. That turned out to be a good move as I found an empty seat near the stage in the second level (orange) just as the lights went out. Let’s go!
     As a string of green lasers started to shoot out from the stage to the back of the arena, the band appeared rocking out to the great “Fire on High” and off we went. Aside from the basic 4-man group, there were violins & cello players that were a main force as well. After the first 4 or 5 rousing songs (which I knew all) a cellist came forward for a crazy, laser fueled solo. I’ll admit, without the laser accompaniment, it may have been a dull ten minutes, so the lasers were a nice and necessary touch! After a couple of older hits, it was time for another solo, this time the violin. THIS I could've done without, but it was their “shtick”. After this, it was hit after hit with many new songs from “ANWR”. :tup The last half hour flew by and by the time the encore “Roll Over Beethoven” was completed, I and 16 thousand fans left happy! I got my stub free of charge from the dude sitting next to me and purchased a t-shirt afterwards. February was a great month, with more to come! :corn

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts! (1973-77...'77 stories now)
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2023, 08:51:37 PM »
Concert List 1977   
42    Electric Light Orchestra / Steve Hillage  2/11/77  Madison Square Garden F   
45    Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band / Rush / Starz    3/17/77  The Palladium S   
51   Led Zeppelin  6/14/77  Madison Square Garden M
55   Lynyrd Skynyrd   7/13/77 Convention Hall S
62   Thin Lizzy / Graham Parker & The Rumor 10/22/77  The Palladium S   
70   Kansas / Crawler  12/17/77  The Palladium P (31)

43   KISS / Sammy Hagar  2/21/77  Nassau Coliseum   
     Even though most people felt that “Destroyer” was Kiss’s seminal studio album, I liked “R&RO” better when it came out in November of ‘76 and when we heard about the MSG show a bunch of us wanted to grab tickets. On the day of sale, my friends talked me into just getting them at Ticketron which I didn’t agree with. You see, MSG had their own cool looking color-coded tickets. That’s what I wanted, but nobody wanted to head over to the Garden. I reluctantly agreed. It didn’t matter. Kiss’s first ever MSG show sold out so fast, we never got a chance to purchase tickets. I was actually happy. We could just pay to get in and I’ll get the cool stub!
     This would be the third straight weekend with a big-time concert. BUT I had a basketball game, and I could not back out again!  :facepalm: So, as the show got close, I found out that Kiss would be in Long Island on Monday after the MSG show. It was President’ day, so we all would have off from school. No school…no game…no practice. Let’s do this….but how and with who? My buddies were all going to go to the Garden show and were not going to go through what we went through with Queen to see Kiss. I thought I was going to miss them, which really bothered me. >:(
     About a week before the show, some of my “sports friends” were talking about not being able to see Kiss. I suggested we go to Nassau Coliseum instead. They thought that would work, but ONLY if we could get a ride. One of their older brothers agreed to drive but we’d have to chip in and buy his ticket. That was fine with me. There were tickets (some) still available, so we hit the local ticketron and bought 5 tickets in the upper tier. It wouldn’t be too bad because NC was much smaller than MSG.
     When we arrived late (thanks NY traffic) Sammy Hagar was already on stage with his band. Even though I didn’t really know him at all, I felt bad for him. Why? He was getting abused, booed and had things thrown at him. The actual first words I ever heard from Sammy were “fuck you, assholes”! After about 3 more songs and more revulsion from the crowd, he flipped everyone “the bird” and walked off stage, much to the rowdy crowd’s delight! The songs I actually heard weren’t terrible. Not for the shit he was getting on stage. Oh well, this wouldn’t be the last time I saw Sammy get booed on stage!
     After a ridiculously long wait, Kiss exploded on stage with even more lights and theatrics than before. I thought they were awesome, and it was a really different perspective of the show, sitting pretty far away! About 60% of the show were songs from the 2 most recent albums, which I was happy with, since I had seen all of the “Alive” songs previously.  :tup The group I went with enjoyed it as well, but most of them wanted more “older” songs. I felt lucky to have seen them in ‘75 & ‘76! Not that this wasn’t a comparable show, just that it started to seem less dangerous and more cartoony! It will get worse in the coming years, but I would still give this concert very high marks!

44   Genesis  2/23/77  Madison Square Garden   
     A couple of days later, myself and Tony (still no luck with his cousin yet :tdwn) went to see Genesis. My ears were still ringing from the Kiss show on Monday, but I knew this would be a MUCH MELLOWER concert and I looked forward to it. This would be my last two yankee bleacher tickets to use to get in, so I knew I’d have to replenish soon. Genesis’ latest “W&W” had come out in December and was one of many records I received for Christmas, and I LOVED it! Very mellow prog, that was great to listen to while lying in bed with the lights out (aside from getting up every twenty minutes to flip it over :censored).
     We had seen Genesis last year at the Beacon Theater and we were excited to see how they would go over at MSG. After basketball practice (during which, me and the squealer got into a heated shoving match during an elbow flying box out by me ;)) I met Tony at the train station, and we headed over to NYC! After the annual t-shirt purchase (my mother was getting sick of all the “hippie” t-shirts I had) we went inside. It was too damn cold to walk around outside!
     Once inside, the aroma was unmistakable! Another mellow, stoned out Genesis crowd!  :lol Around 8:30 pm the lights went out and Genesis appeared, amongst blinding bright lights and a smoke-filled stage (along with the arena….just different smoke ;))! The band was incredible and the sound system (which at MSG usually wasn’t great) was fantastic. The show was pretty much what you would hear on their future live album “Seconds Out”, but the visuals and performance had to be seen. :omg: They had the 2nd drummer as they did last time (this time Chester Thompson) and he was on fire all night! Between Phil’ antics and vocals, along with Tony Banks’ mesmerizing keyboards, it was really a sight and sound to behold! BUT, I felt THE star of the night was Steve Hackett, who unfortunately would leave the band after the tour.
     An incredible month of shows of all kinds had now come to a close with the perfect concert I needed. I was able to find an actual FULL ticket on the floor and until “bar coding” became a thing many years later, this would be a rarity! On the way home, I tried to leave some hints for Tony about his cousin Valerie, but it still wasn’t meant to be….yet! ;)

more '77 to come....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts! (1973-76...'77 stories to come)
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2023, 09:00:34 PM »
Mike, I'm going to follow up tomorrow. Haven't had a chance to read through the last few posts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2023, 11:24:19 AM »
Great stuff here Mike. The drama with your basketball teammate and coach is (in retrospect) hysterical. It's so funny how times change. There's no way I'd have gotten away with any of this growing up on Long Island in the 80s (I was born in the mid-70s). I can't believe Sammy Hagar got that abused by the hometown crowd! Wow! I mean, I know it was a KISS crowd, but still! ha ha ha.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2023, 03:39:47 PM »
Queen ’77  Saw them a few weeks earlier in Kalamazoo, but only for one show (you lucky pup!) 

Just throwing these links in for those who never heard the intro of their ‘A Day at the Races’ tour.  One of my favorites.

(Boston, for the intro)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-XT1gNcFE&t=3989s

MSG, second night   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txp3u1aOslw&t=11s   
Never miss the beginning of a Queen concert!  Sadly, this taper did (starts during ‘Ogre Battle’)

And...yeah....I'm way behind on many things here as well.  So enjoying these write ups :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2023, 03:21:50 PM »
Mike! Where you been!?

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2023, 08:37:20 PM »
Mike! Where you been!?

FINALLY getting over a 3-week bout with COVID followed by upper respiratory infection :censored. Just been too weak to even think about any write ups. Be back soon. :tup

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2023, 10:03:20 AM »
Mike! Where you been!?

FINALLY getting over a 3-week bout with COVID followed by upper respiratory infection :censored. Just been too weak to even think about any write ups. Be back soon. :tup

Yeah, that was my gift from Santa Claus a couple months ago. Glad you are starting to feel better.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2023, 05:42:45 PM »
Starting more write ups tonight. Even though they're not part of this forum, I have to thank a few of my longtime buddies for remembering some of the stuff used here ;) :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
26  Aerosmith / Ted Nugent  5/10/76  Madison Square Garden
     Quite simply, my all-time favorite Aerosmith show! I’ve seen Aerosmith SO MANY times, but much like the NYE Kiss show in ‘75, they NEVER came close to the sheer brilliance of this performance! The setlist was perfect (or close)!

Mama Kin
Write Me a Letter
S.O.S. (Too Bad)
Walking the Dog
Same Old Song and Dance
One Way Street
Walk This Way
Sick as a Dog
Big Ten Inch Record
Lick and a Promise
No More No More
Dream On
Sweet Emotion
The Train Kept A-Rollin'
Toys in the Attic

39  Aerosmith / Rick Derringer  12/16/76  Madison Square Garden

Mama Kin
Write Me a Letter
S.O.S. (Too Bad)
Lick and a Promise
Big Ten Inch Record
Sweet Emotion
Rats in the Cellar
Dream On
Lord of the Thighs
Last Child
Walk This Way
Sick as a Dog
Same Old Song and Dance
The Train Kept A-Rollin'
Get the Lead Out
Toys in the Attic

1976 Aerosmith sounds cool. These two setlists are pretty similar. Wpuld've been awesome to see them live during this period. I love Rocks too!.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2023, 07:35:55 PM »
Performances were much different though. The December show, had them really drug riddled and a bit sloppy. :facepalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2023, 07:40:32 PM »
Performances were much different though. The December show, had them really drug riddled and a bit sloppy. :facepalm:

That's really interesting. I'm going to assume you saw them straight through the turn of the decade. I'll be paying attention to this.

I didn't see them until 1985..ironically with Ted Nugent opening...and he blew them off the stage.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2023, 07:52:20 PM »
Concert List 1977   
51    Led Zeppelin  6/14/77  Madison Square Garden M
55    Lynyrd Skynyrd   7/13/77 Convention Hall S
62    Thin Lizzy / Graham Parker & The Rumor 10/22/77  The Palladium S   
70    Kansas / Crawler  12/17/77  The Palladium P (31)

45) Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band / Rush / Starz  3/17/77  The Palladium
     Back in the summer of 1976, I came across “Live Bullet” by Bob Seger & TSBB at a friend’ house. The red color album cover struck me, and I asked my friend about it. His response was something like, “who knows. It’s my (older) brother’s". I borrowed it and took it home. When I listened to it, I thought it was good, but I can’t say it was a “revelation”. So that was that. Then, later that same year, Mr. Seger and his band were all over the radio with songs from his new album, ‘Night Moves’  :tup and the title track WAS a “revelation” for me. I LOVED it and it just seemed to resonate with me. I bought the album and was REALLY impressed! Unfortunately, I was the only one from my “crew” who felt that way. Oh well, different strokes and all that.   
   Fast forward to early March of ‘77, a Rush fanatic from high school (another band who my friends never took too :loser:) was telling me that Rush was playing in NYC soon and if I was going. Now, he had lent me the cassette of ‘All The World’ A Stage’ around Christmas time last year, and I did enjoy it, but afterwards it just kind of fell off my radar. I asked when they were playing and said I wasn’t sure if I’d be attending. He also never told me they were actually supporting Bob Seger at this show.
   The week of the concert, I had heard an ad on the radio for the concert saying it was sold out, which is when I heard that BS&TSBB were actually headlining the concert. WOW :omg:! I really want to go now, but I don’t have a ticket plus no friend to go with. I asked everyone but nobody was the least bit interested. :loser: At this point, I didn’t have a g/f to bring either. If I was going, I would be alone and would have to scalp a ticket. PLUS, it was a Thursday night, and school was looming on Friday, which once again, my parents wouldn’t have been thrilled with. I even called my older cousin, but he couldn’t go. So, when I said, “screw it” and decided to go on my own, I knew I’d have to come up with a story to tell my folks. Well, to my good fortune, the concert happened to fall on St. Patty’ day :hat, and my family (aunts, uncles, grandmother, all of them) were good ol’ Irish partiers of their own :rollin, and my mom & stepdad were hosting the party (I “assume” they were all “taking off” the next day…I didn’t ask or really care)! All I knew was that me going to a concert was just getting me out of their hair for the evening! Guess it was “luck o’ the Irish” for me. :tup
   That night, I left the house early and found my way to 14th street in the city. I had been to the Palladium once before, but that was with my cousin, who knew the surrounding area. Going alone, to a pretty seedy neighborhood and to a fairly unknown venue, I admit I was a bit apprehensive. Finally arriving at the theater, there were a bunch of people out front, looking for tickets. Since I only needed one, I was having a real hard time finding anyone who was selling a single ticket. Luckily, apparently this was a rescheduled date from earlier in the month, and I finally found someone looking to sell an extra ticket they had from someone who couldn’t attend this new date. I think I paid ten bucks for the lower balcony ticket, and it was well worth it!
   Since I was sitting with the other 3 people who sold me the ticket, I was able to converse with them for a bit while we awaited the start of the show. They were all Bob Seger fans, who knew NOTHING about Rush or Starz. Okay, fair enough. Starz came on right at 8pm and was not bad at all. Not really memorable, but decent enough for a half hour :tup. Now, I started to get a bit anxious and excited to see Rush (I was also wondering where my school acquaintance was sitting). About 15 minutes after Starz finished, the lights went out and here came Rush on stage, to a great applause! While the 3 guys who sold me the ticket didn’t seem too impressed, I was ecstatic! I thought they were fantastic and basically had the same reaction as when I saw Kansas open for Queen. Most of the songs played (if not all) were from the live album I borrowed so while certainly no aficionado, the songs were mostly recognizable to me. They played 45-50 minutes and got a “mostly” standing ovation upon completion. I tried to converse with the guys I was sitting with about the performance, but all they cared about was what songs Bob Seger would be playing. >:(
   After twenty minutes or so, out go the lights and the place gets LOUD! The band begins with the great party rocker from the new album “R&R Never Forgets” and we’re off! Bob and the band work the crowd with a rousing set, with about a 3rd of the songs from ‘Night Moves’ and another 3rd heard on ‘Live Bullet’. It was a very strong, albeit no frills, performance and had me from the start. I already had ‘Night Moves’, but pretty shortly after the concert I purchased ‘Live Bullet’ and was a Seger fan going forward! It showed me that performers like Seger and Springsteen didn’t rely on (or need to) visuals to push their music across to the masses. They were “roots” rock n rollers, and I was fine with that too!

46) The Eagles / Jimmy Buffet  3/18/77 Madison Square Garden 
     The next night was back “home” at MSG  :tup and another solo show (my friends suck) :blush. Another band which I really liked that my “crew” thought was boring. I did have one buddy who had planned to go with me, but he wound up with a “date” that night, so he bailed on me (that was forgivable :heart). Anyway, I did the usual fake ticket entry, and found a good spot not too far away from the stage. I had both ‘Hotel California’ & ‘Best of Eagles’ and while I loved both, I knew this wouldn’t be a “rock spectacle” of a show, so where I situated myself wouldn’t be that important.
   I had to sit through Jimmy Buffet prior to the Eagles :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:. While I was thoroughly bored, the crowd ABSOLUTELY LOVED him :\. Once again, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure! I went to get a soda and pretzel (anything to get me out of there) and thankfully, missed a few songs. I returned just in time for the “encore”! What? :censored Thankfully, it wasn’t too long!
   The Eagles finally arrived and even though most of the floor was standing, my section in the lower level was sitting and my great view of the stage was unhindered. It was a great night of fantastic music, country rock style! One song after another got rousing ovations, but it was “Take it to the Limit” that had myself and the 20,000 strong applauding and screaming like maniacs (I get chills thinking of that moment of the show) :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy! While I didn’t know ALL of the songs, I was in tune with most of them. While I currently had no g/f (or friends obviously :mehlin) I was able to really enjoy a night at the Garden with 20K of my newfound Eagle friends! I acquired my stub from a girl in my section for free and spent $4 outside on a ‘Eagles 1977 NYC’ tour shirt!
   On the walk home from Journal Square, I stopped at the schoolyard and hung out with some of my “friends” who were either drunk or high. My night was better! :angel:

much more '77 to come....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 03:45:23 PM by DTwwbwMP »

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2023, 07:55:13 PM »

That's really interesting. I'm going to assume you saw them straight through the turn of the decade. I'll be paying attention to this.

I didn't see them until 1985..ironically with Ted Nugent opening...and he blew them off the stage.

Yeah, I basically saw every Aero tour into the 2010's

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2023, 07:56:25 PM »

Yeah, I basically saw every Aero tour into the 2010's and while mostly always enjoyable, they were NEVER the same after the first breakup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2023, 07:59:22 PM »
I read it the first time. :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2023, 11:04:23 PM »
 :tup  ;)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2023, 07:21:34 PM »
Concert List 1977   

47) Kansas / Rick Derringer  4/3/77 The Palladium
     From the moment I heard “Carry On…” on the radio in the fall of 1976, I could not wait for the new album by Kansas. I first fell in love with the band seeing them open for Queen in ‘75 and then again in early ‘76 opening for Bad Co. After that Bad Co. support show, I got all 3 of their albums from the BMG record club! I enjoyed their prog rock harmonious sound as they just seemed to get better with each album. Now, a new album was coming out, and I wanted to jump on it as soon as it was released! The year of 1976 had offered some fabulous albums, and the new Kansas, ‘Leftoverture’ was EASILY one of my favorites that year (and still holds a place in my all-time top 100 albums).
     When tickets for their show in NYC as headliners for the first time went on sale, my buddy bought 4 tickets for us. Now, the seats weren’t great (floor, but almost the last row) but the expectation for the concert was great! Myself and my friends played the hell out of that album, especially leading up to the show. Being a Sunday night wasn’t really conducive to partying much at all since we had school the next day, but we all partook a little. We were all pretty pumped for the show and arrived at the Palladium pretty early. Walking into the half empty theater felt strange, but we had time for some refreshments (and a couple quick “hits” ;)).
     For the second time in less than 4 months we were treated to an opening performance by Rick Derringer. Now, Rick wasn’t bad either time, but his hit “Rock n Roll Hoochie Koo'' was really all anyone gave any kind of stir for. The wait for Kansas seemed endless! During the intermission, as the sold out crowd really filled in, I remember the sound system played the entire ‘Day at the Races’ album by Queen which myself and the crowd loved! Finally, the lights went out….the joints were lit….and Kansas arrived on stage, opening with the big hit, “Carry On…” as the crowd went wild. During the next 80 minutes, with one great song after another, Kansas had firmly arrived as a headline act! The band was fantastic and almost half the set were songs from ‘Left’ except “What’s on My Mind” which really pissed me off at the time! I frigin’ loved that song and was not happy it was not played. Other than that though, the performance was great and all 4 of us left as BIG TIME Kansas fans! It was only another six months before Kansas would return with another classic rock staple and tour! :omg:

48) ANGEL / Piper / Legs Diamond  4/16/77 The Palladium
     Back in the ‘70’s there was obviously no internet. Rock music fans had the radio, magazines and the good ol’ “word of mouth” to get our music news. During the new year’s eve KISS concert in December ‘75, while waiting for KISS to come on, I overheard a guy and his g/f (?) discussing a new band called Angel. Supposedly they had just released their debut album on the same label as KISS and they were saying how great it was and they wished they would open for KISS at some point (Gene made sure that would never happen…more to follow on that). I didn’t think much of it until towards the end of 1976 when ‘CIRCUS’ magazine named the 2nd album ‘Helluva Band’ one of the best albums of that year and also named them the 2nd best “new” band after BOSTON! Once again I was intrigued but didn’t follow up. Moving ahead to March of ‘77 while in a ‘Disc-O-Mat’ record store, I see a poster on the wall of this band ANGEL’ new album, “On Earth As It Is In Heaven” and I was mesmerized by their crazy Ambi grammatic logo (it reads the same when turned upside-down) on the album. My buddy who I was with was also drawn to it and we sought out the album from the record bins. The cover was really cool as well with the members all dressed in white and I recollected not only the good standing in the magazine, but also the conversation I had heard at the KISS show! We both decided, sounds unheard to chip in and buy the album. We went back to his house and absolutely loved the prog-glam rock sound! The soaring vocals and fantastic keyboards did it for me! I had to know more about these guys (?)
      Within a few days, I had gone back and purchased their first two albums, which were both fantastic in their own right! Unfortunately, absolutely NO-ONE that I knew had any idea of them. A few days later, reading this month’ ‘CIRCUS’ magazine, I noticed a list of tour dates for ANGEL and low and behold, they were at the Palladium in NYC in April. I called my buddy Scotti and we met the next day at the local ticketron to get tickets, but….SOLD OUT :censored! This led to another “new find”.....the TICKET “AGENCY”. I was telling a school acquaintance about the ANGEL show being sold out and that I was going to have to try and scalp tickets again, which I really didn’t like. He told me about a “ticket agency” that sells tickets for concerts, sporting events, plays, etc in Paramus NJ. They would cost more, but usually you could get really good seats. So, I decided to give the place a call and check it out. This was a phone call that had much more future implications than I ever realized… :corn :metal
     Yes, they had some tickets remaining, but they would be $25 a piece and were in the tenth row. That seemed like an ENORMOUS price, but I REALLY wanted to see this band. Both Scotti and I scrounged up the money and I asked my stepdad to drive us out there that Saturday. I was enthralled by the little store. Rock posters covering every inch of the walls and lots of things for sale (basically anything rock n roll related-chains, pendants, posters, keyrings, etc). I finally got to talk to the owner and we made the transaction. I asked him so many questions about the store and he could tell I was REALLY interested. He asked where I lived and when I told him Jersey City, he perked up. He was planning on opening another office IN JERSEY CITY :omg: within the next year and told me to keep in touch with him. That was the beginning of a really good friendship over the next six years that worked out very well for me financially and ticket wise! :tup :tup :tup
     My buddy and I left with our tenth-row tickets not even realizing we were about to witness one of the best shows we would see! A few weeks later, as the show approached, we realized that the concert was promoted as “ANGEL AT MIDNIGHT” and was supposed to be filmed for a concert movie for the band.  Luckily the concert was on a Saturday night, so we didn’t have to be concerned about the REALLY LATE night.
     The night of the show we knew there was no rush to get there, so we had plenty of time for beers and a couple joints at the schoolyard. That was great, but I still wanted to see the 2 supporting bands (I just had…and still do have a desire to see every band on a bill) so we got there just a little after 9pm which was the official start time. Our seats were fantastic and as we walked down the aisle to our seats, the band Legs Diamond was already on stage. They weren’t bad at all but just seemed to be a typical ‘70’s supporting band. After a while, the band Piper hit the stage. Now, unknown until later that the leader of this band was none other than Billy “the stroke” Squire, but damn, Piper was fantastic and obviously making the scene at that time, because their reception was fabulous. They rocked out for about 45-50 minutes, and I was VERY impressed, not only with Squire, but the whole band. When he hit the big time a few years later, I liked to tell anyone who’d listen that “I knew him when”  :lol :rollin
      After what seemed like an hour wait, the lights went out and the next 90 minutes was one of the best, crazy and memorable shows I’ve seen. :metal This was glam theatrics at its best! While KISS hit you in the face with tons of explosions and pyro, I was witness to not only fantastic music, but explosions, fog, magic  :omg: and even….A TALKING HOLOGRAPHIC ANGEL :eek! The band appeared magically in see through acrylic boxes as announced by “the ANGEL GABRIEL” and once all on stage, they LITERALLY EXPLODED into one of the greatest prog-metal ‘70’s classics, ‘Tower’! Between the spectacle of the show and the great soaring music on stage, it was a sight to behold! These 5 rockers, dressed in all white and looking as much as girls, as they were guys, just rocked the Palladium to heavenly heights :blush! I must have said ten times during the show, “how are these guys not more popular and headlining MSG"? Now, I loved KISS but, in my opinion, these guys were much better musicians and quite simply had much better songs! When the show ended and the 5 guys entered this huge ANGEL box that ascended high off the stage and EXPLODED, the crowd was going nuts! When leaving the theater at almost 2am, my only thought was that these guys would be the next big thing. For many reasons, including musical direction, and zero help from KISS (Gene actually "found" the band, but thought they were so good that "they will NEVER open for KISS") that unfortunately would not happen.      

much more '77 to come....

« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 09:51:59 AM by DTwwbwMP »

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts! (1973-77...stories to come)
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2023, 08:20:02 AM »
I got into Kansas late. Far too late. But I'm a Livgren era purist. If he's not writing the tunes, I'm not interested. Incredible band. Never got to see them live. An absolute master class in vocal harmony though. "Carry On..." still holds up today. Just incredible. Great catalog.

I have heard of Angel, but haven't listened to any of them. I'll check 'em out.

As for The Palladium, I never went there for concerts. My girlfriend in the mid-to-late 90s dragged me there a couple of weekends for "dancing" (which I DO NOT do), and all I can remember is saying to myself sitting at the table "didn't Dream Theater play here?"  :lol Needless to say, I never made a return trip after those couple of times. I preferred bars with live music.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2023, 09:39:20 AM »
I have heard of Angel but haven't listened to any of them. I'll check 'em out.

The first 3 albums (Angel, Helluva Band & On Earth As It Is In Heaven) are their best. Their last two (White Hot & Sinful) are both good, but much more on the commercial side. They've reunited recently too (why, I'm not sure) :rollin

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2023, 09:54:34 AM »
I have absolutely NO IDEA how, but the original post of the ANGEL concert story got all distorted and paragraphs mixed up. It's been fixed. :facepalm:

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2023, 06:29:18 PM »
Concert List 1977   

49) Boston / Sammy Hagar 4/19/77 Madison Square Garden 
     In August of 1976, 3 things happened to me of note. First, I saw 3 magnificent Elton John shows at MSG. Second, as mentioned in show #31’s story, I met a girl who KNOCKED ME OUT  :omg: while attending the Elton show on the 11th (more to follow). Third, an amazing new album by a band called Boston was released a few weeks later! From the very first strains of the lead single “More Than a Feeling” it was a winner! There wasn’t a music fan anywhere who wasn’t taken in immediately by this new sound. Clear, crisp and concise guitar tones with a majestic, magnificent voice singing out! THIS was THE ALBUM of the year, and everyone knew it!  :hefdaddy When the album itself was released towards the end of August, myself and basically all my friends rushed out to pick up our own copies and NO-ONE was disappointed. What an album! :metal
     When school began in September, every music lover was talking about this great new band. In October, tickets went on sale for their show in NJ at the Capitol Theater in February of ‘77 unbeknownst to me or any of my friends. The tickets sold out in 15 minutes (and this was way before the internet and ticketBASTARD STEALING TICKETS :censored)! When we heard about the show, we decided to just go and scalp tickets. The night of the concert, 8 of us (3 cars) went out to Passaic, NJ confident we would find tickets. I figured, “it’s a hot show, might cost $20-$25 to get in”. I was VERY WRONG! First of all, hardly any scalpers filled the street with tickets, and the ones that did wanted $100 per ticket! :omg: Damn, we went home all very pissed off, but………
     The very next day, tickets went on sale for a show at MSG in April!  :tup Now, I had heard the ad late that night on the radio after getting home from not getting tickets in NJ and knew I had to get tickets. Of course, I could have just “faked” my way into the Garden, but that was becoming less and less desirable. So, after borrowing about $25 bucks from my stepdad, I went directly to the ticketmaster the next morning (not calling anyone and also winding up missing my first class of the day) and got on the line. I was afraid of being too far back in line to get tickets, but then luck struck. :hat An older kid who I played basketball with at the park saw me. Now, I find out that he actually works at this ticketmaster! He asked me how many tickets I wanted and told him 8. He said he could safely “pull” 4 for me but would try for more. The funny thing is, I didn’t even like this guy ::), but he acted like we were best friends. I’ll take it! :biggrin: By the time I walked into the store, the only seats left were upstairs behind the stage, but he had “pulled” me 6 tickets in the lower level at MSG (section 5) 3 quarters of the way back. I was thrilled. I offered him a tip, but he wouldn’t take it and even said “anytime you need any tickets, just call me and let me know””. Wow, who knew I was so likable?  :lol :rollin
     Now it came down to, who do I sell the five extra tickets to because EVERYONE I KNEW would want them. :facepalm: I knew my buddy Mike & his g/f would get 2 and Scotti was a definite, so that left me with 2 tickets and a lot of friends who would want them. One or two weekends later, my buddy Tony invited me to his house for dinner. He said he wanted to hang out and listen to some tunes and then go to a movie or something. Well, I accepted and found out it was actually a dinner celebrating his birthday. My buddy Mike and his g/f were also invited. When I arrived, his house was packed with family members, including the girl of my dreams, his cousin Valerie, who I had met going to the Elton concert 8 months earlier. I was dumbstruck, but said “hi” to her and started talking with Tony & Mike. To my shock, Tony told me that Valerie had asked him to invite me!!!!!! :omg: :omg: :omg: That took some pressure off and I went and found her, a lot more confident. One thing led to another, and asked her if she wanted to go with me to the Boston concert. She was thrilled and said she loved the album and would definitely go! That made things easy as the final ticket went to Tony! He earned it!  :yarr I spent the next 2 ½ years with her until she went away to a fashion college in California  :tdwn . The best 2 ½ years I had up until then for sure! :tup My God, she was incredible looking and just a really great girlfriend. The fact that she loved music was the cherry on the top……. :tup
     April came, and OF COURSE I had a high school baseball game that day :facepalm:, so I had to meet them all at MSG! I got there a few minutes before the opener, Sammy Hagar, came on stage. I thought he was decent, and he wasn’t unmercifully booed off the stage like he was two months prior when I saw him open for Kiss :lol, but he didn’t go down very well with the crowd at all. We all could not wait for BOSTON! When the lights went out and Boston came on rockin’ with “Rock And Roll Band” the joint was jumpin’. They played and sounded really good, but it was the quickest headline performance I had ever seen. Now obviously, they only had the one album, and what I expected I don’t know, but it WAS short! What I loved was the way they stretched out songs like “More Than a Feeling” with a great midsong jam. They also played a few songs that we didn’t know that didn’t make the album or were for the next album. The bass player, Fran Sheehan was very visible with his constant head bobbing too :metal. Of course the guitar players (Tom & Barry) were really good and Brad, while not exactly sounding as clear as the record, was fantastic! All in all, a really fine concert!

next up, the mighty Led Zep and two performaces at MSG....
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:19:40 PM by DTwwbwMP »

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2023, 08:15:57 AM »
What a great story! That first Boston record still holds up. I went down a Boston rabbit hole a year or two ago (it had been many years). The guitar precision is just remarkable. And Brad Delp...he may not have been as consistent live as was on the record (to be fair, most singers aren't given multiple takes), but his ability and talent were off the charts.

The short headline set...those always suck. I've only seen a few short ones like that. The worst was 65 minutes and I was irate. But it is what it is.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2023, 05:17:31 PM »
Concert List 1977   
60    Emerson, Lake & Palmer  10/17/77  Madison Square Garden P   

50) Led Zeppelin 6/7/77 Madison Square Garden
     With the announcement towards the end of 1976 that Led Zeppelin would be returning to MSG for 6 nights, the anticipation was off the charts! They had just recently released the LIVE album, ‘The Song Remains The Same’ and months before that, their 7th studio album, ‘Presence’. I had seen Zep both in ‘73 & ‘75 and was excited for their return to NYC! I loved the live album and accompanying movie (although the recording was from back in ‘73) which we basically attended almost every weekend midnight showing! Now, Zep wasn’t my absolute favorite band (and the ‘Presence’ album didn’t really “wow” me aside from the 2 classic songs from it, one “Achilles” being my all-time favorite Zep song) but they were definitely a “top 5” for me. When the ticket sale was announced, it would be a first for me. A mail order system, where a ticket order form had to be sent in, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope and of course payment in the form of a money order, was the method used. Down at the schoolyard we planned to meet and ALL OF US (at least 30 guys) took the train to NYC to hit the main post office across the street from MSG, feeling we had a better chance of securing tickets. Different groups of us made our plans for each of us going for different nights and the maximum allowable number of tickets. When we arrived, hundreds of other fans thought the same way. It took us over 3 hours each to get our money orders and mail out our ticket requests! :omg: Then, the LONG WAIT to see if any of us would get tickets……
     Now, many of the guys I hung out with, would go to as many of the shows as possible (all 6 if they could) because Zep was EASILY the most popular band amongst about 75% of the group (gang) of people (some older) I hung out with. Even most of the girls were “Zepheads”! For me, my hope was to bookend the first and last shows. In late April or early May, my SASE came in the mail. It would be either a refund voucher or tickets. As soon as I touched the envelope, I could feel the tickets! :tup Now it would be, how good were they? I opened the envelope to discover orchestra tickets!!!! But, in the back of the floor in the 3rd section. Good but not great, but I was fine with that. They were also for the final night, which I was happy about! :tup The phone started ringing with other friends saying they also got tickets, some better, some worse….some MUCH worse! One thing though. Of all of “my guys”, not one got tickets for the first night! Ugh! :facepalm: Lots of “performance trading” began between my friends, but I decided to just hold my tickets for the final night for myself and my g/f and sell the others to whomever needed them. I would just “fake” my way into night one….
     June came, my junior year was coming to a close, and LED ZEP was coming to town. The night of June 7th arrives and right after school, I head home, get changed and head to the schoolyard. There had to be AT LEAST 50 of us heading to the train at Journal Square! Maybe half with actual tickets, the other half with yankee bleacher tickets and money in our pockets. The entire twenty minute train ride to NY was spent making arrangements on “who would go with who” with the fake tickets. You could not walk up with 20 fake tickets to the same ticket taker at one time,  ;) so we decided to split up into groups of 4 and went at different times a few minutes apart to “our guy”.
     When we reached MSG it was the typical zoo whenever one of the MAJOR bands were in town. Even with six nights, SO MANY people were looking for tickets. THIS was a seriously “hot” ticket! We decided to up our “tip” to the ticket taker to $10 per body instead of the usual $5. I was with the first group of 4 to get in line and when I saw “my guy” I just smiled at him, BUT, he started slightly shaking his head “no” and kind of mouthed “not now”! SHIT!  :censored We panicked and got off the line to regroup. Standing farther back, I noticed an official looking guy standing a little behind him :police:. I assume (never really found out) that they were taking some kind of prevention measure to make sure people had real tickets. As twelve of us stood back, watched and discussed what to do (the other 2 or 3 “groups” split to try another ticket taker), time went by. We were all in panic mode, but I just told them to wait a while. We had gotten there early, so we had some time. Meanwhile, the lines were getting longer, and entry was slower than usual. At this point, I’m pretty sure I expected to have to head home and not see the show :loser:. After about 15-20 minutes (which seemed like hours) I saw the “security/Management guy” leave and head down the hall. PHEW!  :hat We got on the long line and when we got to the ticket taker, we handed him each group of tickets and payment. He looked at me and rolled his eyes like saying “these bastards are watching us tonight”. We finally got in. :metal
     The show was scheduled for 8PM but most bands (when there’s no support act) waited until twenty-thirty minutes before coming on. On this night, it was more than an hour and they didn’t come on until well after 9PM. The excitement and anxiousness was palpable within the crowd. We had friends all over the Garden tonight  :metal but 4 of us stationed ourselves in section 108 without incident. Nobody sat throughout the entire 3-hour performance! Finally, around 9:20 the lights go out and it’s time to explode! And it certainly did! As soon as the lights went off, cherry bombs and firecrackers were going off every half minute! >:( Some, so damn close that you had to cover your ears and put your hands over your head. It being a Tuesday night, with school the next day, we didn’t get high or anything (well, I didn’t :D), so these damn fireworks were pretty scary! Anyway, Zep hits the stage with “The Song Remains The Same” and I could already tell this would be better than the somewhat lackluster ‘75 tour! The band was on fire. :metal Not only did we get some new ‘presence’ songs, the great “Ten Years Gone” from PG that we didn’t get in ‘75 but also a fantastic acoustic spot that sounded spectacular. :coolio Back in the seventies, MSG was never known for its sound clarity, but after 2 or 3 songs, it wasn’t bad at all. Zeppelin always used a basic lighting rig, but used lasers to great effect, as well as fog and strobe lights that hit off a mirror ball. Well done! :tup The ONLY complaint I had was the length of the solo’s! :facepalm: My goodness, they could have played another TEN songs AT LEAST if they just kept the solo’s within reason. At least one third of the show was solo’s! MUCH TOO MUCH! ??? I really don’t need to see John Bonham playing his drums with his hands like they were congo’s for an extra ten minutes! :angry: The final triple triumph of ‘Achilles’, ‘Stairway’ and the encore of “Whole Lotta Love/R&R'' had the Garden delirious and after acquiring my stub from someone who was starting to throw it away, we entered the streets around 12:30 AM, purchased our t-shirts and headed home late and with ears thoroughly ringing! I’d be back next week, this time with tickets in hand!

51) Led Zeppelin 6/14/77 Madison Square Garden
    The final show of the six night stand and the final week of school!  :tup Once again, with school the next day, the partying would have to wait until the weekend, but myself, Mike and our g/f’s headed to NYC on our own. No need to go over with “the crew” who either were out of school or didn’t care and were thoroughly “lit” for their final night of Zep (my friend Scotti always tells me that the crew he was with that final night, went through 50 joints AT THE SHOW ALONE)!  :omg: :omg: :omg: :hat :hat :hat
     Our seats were on the floor but further back. It did not matter as we would have to stand the full show wherever we were. The performance was basically the same as night one, but it was fun watching my guests enjoy the show as it was their first time seeing Zep, at least for the g/f’s. I will say the girls were completely bored during the ridiculous solo’s and sat down, but otherwise they loved it. For me, I never thought it would be the last time seeing the mighty Zep in concert!  :censored At least IMO, they went out in fine style! :yarr

More '77 to come....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 08:16:30 PM by DTwwbwMP »

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2023, 06:54:08 PM »
I have heard of Angel but haven't listened to any of them. I'll check 'em out.

The first 3 albums (Angel, Helluva Band & On Earth As It Is In Heaven) are their best. Their last two (White Hot & Sinful) are both good, but much more on the commercial side. They've reunited recently too (why, I'm not sure) :rollin

I have the first Angel album and really enjoy it. I think I bought it after Dave Mustaine was raving about it.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2023, 08:14:48 PM »
yes, incredible album and highly recommended :metal

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2023, 09:57:17 PM »
Concert List 1977   
60    Emerson, Lake & Palmer  10/17/77  Madison Square Garden P   

52) Fleetwood Mac / Kenny Loggins 6/29/77 Madison Square Garden   
    What can be said about the ‘RUMOURS’ album that hasn’t been said? Other than The Eagles’ ‘HOTEL CALIFORNIA’, FM had released the most mellow album that even most rock fans enjoyed. I was one that really loved the album, not to mention the crush I had on Ms. Nicks! ;) Regardless, the band were doing 2 shows at MSG on the 29th & 30th and myself, Mike and the g/f’s all wanted to see the band live. It would have to be “fake” tickets though as I wasn’t aware when they went on sale. Of course, Mike and I didn’t care but we hoped the girls would be okay “slumming it” without seats.
   My only issue with the whole thing was that this was 2 weeks after seeing Led Zeppelin and only days before seeing 2 of my top 10 bands, Pink Floyd & ELP! I wasn’t too excited about the show, but I knew at least it’d be a nice night out. We got in the Garden without issue and actually had found empty seats for the opening act, Kenny Loggins. While a couple of his songs rang a bell, it was mostly a borefest where the girls just talked to each other while Mike & I discussed the current baseball season.
   When time came for FM to come on stage, the seat holders arrived and out we went to find somewhere to watch from. We actually did “slum it” on the stairs in a section right next to the stage. For most part of the show, people were sitting, so down we went. The girls were cool with it and the fact that the concert was really enjoyable certainly helped. Another no-frills concert, but the music was played perfectly, even when the band jammed. I also had a great view of Stevie :omg:, which was sweet! She looked, oh yeah, and sounded great! ;) BUT, the shock of the night for me was Lindsay Buckingham. The dude ripped on guitar, pick less! :coolio I hadn’t seen that before and was really impressed. The set was basically the two new albums, so the music was great.
   This was another concert where I didn’t realize I needed a stub for my collection until we were.....ON THE TRAIN! :omg: Thankfully, the train was filled with attendees and after a couple of minutes, finally found someone who was kind enough to give me their stub. PHEW, that was a close one! :facepalm:

next up prog heaven with Pink Floyd and then ELP!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Following, I only started reading this (and thank you for providing entertainment during this downtime at work)

A few things to note...

Your first shows are some incredibly bands.  I find that amazing because what a way to be introduced to live music than to see all the classic most famous bands in the genre. 

I have no idea how you can recall so much detail.  When I do my concert write ups, I can't even always recall such details within days of the show, none the less 40+ years later

Also, and I'm not entirely sure how to express this, but I didn't realize you were quite as old as you are considering the concerts you still attend.  I hope that's not offensive (none meant) but when I see you attending some of the same shows I do, I just never would have thought you were over 60. How have the ears held up after all these years?