Author Topic: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts! (1973-77...more stories to come)  (Read 7636 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Starting in January of '23 I will be continuously listing all of the concerts I've attended since my first one in July of '73 (Zeppelin at MSG) in chronological order. I should easily reach my #800th concert sometime in 2023 so there's a lot to list! When I post, if anyone wants some background on a show or related story just request. I was planning on writing a book about all my concert exploits through the years (especially the '70's of which there were many crazy stories) but as I am a notorious procrastinator, it's still in the VERY early stages :loser:. hopefully, this will be of interest to some of you! :metal
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 10:19:16 PM by DTwwbwMP »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts for me!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 03:57:44 PM »
Following!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 04:00:56 PM »
VERY cool.

I'll be following as well!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 04:10:51 PM »
Your first concert was Zeppelin? Can’t get much better than that.  :hefdaddy

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 04:18:49 PM »
Hey, I was just a small kd when you went to your first concert.... following with interrest

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 01:30:59 PM »
I cannot wait for the….what was it?….seventeen Queen concerts you attended? Including a couple of ‘The Works’ shows, as well as both nights at Wembley!  :tup

Sooooo jealous…….
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 01:37:18 PM »
Starting in January of '23 I will be continuously listing all of the concerts I've attended since my first one in July of '73 (Zeppelin at MSG) in chronological order.

That's a real fine way to start!  I was only 5 years old then.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 03:47:34 PM »
have you thought about making a list? (or maybe you have, and look to share it at some point?)

I have here, although it's hard to fully know every single show when you can't recall every local show, lol.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 04:08:12 PM »
Starting in January of '23 I will be continuously listing all of the concerts I've attended since my first one in July of '73 (Zeppelin at MSG) in chronological order.

Same!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 04:09:13 PM »

Same!

Old bastards.

I was 4 and a half.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 05:06:50 PM »

Same!

Old bastards.

I was 4 and a half.

Whippersnapper!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 05:09:05 PM »
Damn, and I thought I was old as my first concert was in 1990.  :lol :lol

Following this thread for sure!  :metal :metal

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 05:24:56 PM »
I cannot wait for the….what was it?….seventeen Queen concerts you attended? Including a couple of ‘The Works’ shows, as well as both nights at Wembley!  :tup

Sooooo jealous…….

25 REAL QUEEN with Freddie
2 with Paul
3 with Adam

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2022, 05:26:39 PM »
have you thought about making a list? (or maybe you have, and look to share it at some point?)

I have here, although it's hard to fully know every single show when you can't recall every local show, lol.

Oh yeah. I have every show listed as well as every single stub (although they're all in a book).

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2022, 05:28:34 PM »
Damn, and I thought I was old as my first concert was in 1990.  :lol :lol

Following this thread for sure!  :metal :metal

Yeah, I'll be 63 in January, so damn old but still rockin'! :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 05:29:07 PM »

Same!

Old bastards.

I was 4 and a half.

Bet you were saying WTF is a 2 party line.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 06:21:56 PM »
Yeah, like the others have all said, I'm super interested in this!

Being born in '80, I simply missed so many of my favorite bands at their peak by about a decade.

Sure, I saw the original Kiss lineup a bunch of times in '96, and yeah, I mighta been there for Bruce's mighty return back in 2000, but even then, I knew I was watching an older, wiser version of my favorite bands.

To have seen VH back in '79, or Zeppelin back in '73...well, your book might just be the closest thing I'll get to a vicarious experience.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 07:18:24 PM »
@Williammummy, just read your DT album rankings on genmixtape. Good stuff! :tup

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts for me!.....(PRELUDE & 1972 misses)
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2022, 01:58:10 PM »
PRELUDE…A LONGGGGGG story, SHORT
       I was born in Jersey City, NJ in January, 1960 and until the age of 12, my only concerns in life were sports, girls, friends, family and school. My idea of music was whatever I was hearing on AM radio stations that played one “one hit wonder” after another (which I still love to this day). It was in 1972 that I met a friend who would drastically change my life. I mean, jeez, I married his sister 15 years later (but hey, that’s not what this is all about). My new friend was “musically mature”. He introduced me to albums by Elton, The Beatles, Chicago, The Who, The Stones and many others. A year later, his older brother introduced us to an amazing sounding band called “Queen” (of all things), plus bands that he called “Progressive rockers”. I was hooked! My new “concern” was now as important as the others. Then, in the summer of 1973, hanging out with friends (some a few years older), something called “concerts”, came into my life. Now, 50 years later, I’m closing in on 800 concerts (with all stubs collected in a book for posterity)! As I'm now retired, my wife constantly pushes me to write a book about all the concerts I’ve attended. Well, this certainly isn’t a book, but I think posting on this great site may interest a bunch of you. If not, it’s at least giving me something to do!  👍

Before I get into it, I want to set up some classifications of concert tickets:
1) “F” - Fake ticket entry
This was the method used to gain entry into “most” of the concerts I attended from ‘73-’76 (and a few others afterwards). The older guys we hung out with began going to concerts in ‘71-’72. We heard stories of them seeing The Stones, Grand Funk, Jethro Tull (who was “he” 😀), Deep Purple, The Moody Blues and others. The funny thing was they hardly ever “purchased” tickets. Their scheme was simply buying a whole bunch of NY Yankee bleacher tickets from Ticketron (later known as Ticketmaster) @ $.50 - $1 per ticket, then use that ticket, plus slipping the ticket taker at Madison Square Garden a couple of bucks per ticket, and whalllla…entry! When my friends and I started doing this, it went from a couple of bucks, to maybe a $5 spot (per ticket) along the way, but it was always interesting pulling this off. Some shows, we’d hear people complaining about spending $25-$50 (and sometimes more….BIG money “back in the day”) by buying tickets from scalpers outside the arena and we’d just laugh. My system for getting a “real stub” was simply by offering anyone who was interested a dollar for their stub at the show's close. More times than not, I’d just be given the stub for no fee. Why, from show #1, I wanted a stub, I don’t know, but I’m glad I did. There are many interesting stories being let in with this method, and I will make sure to tell a condensed story.
2) “S” - Buying a ticket outside of the venue from a “scalper” for entry or from a ticket “Agency” (basically, a “legal”scalper). This was a method used at various times (especially at non-MSG venues as I was afraid my “fake ticket” scheme wouldn’t work). Again, any interesting stories will be shared.
3) “P” - Buying tickets through the regular “on sale” date either from venue or Ticketron/Master (in person or nowadays, online). Shouldn’t be many stories on this method, other than a few instances.
4) “C1” - Buying tickets from the venue after camping out all night! Lots of fun stories on these.
5) “C2” - Buying tickets from the venue after camping out all night! This was under the guise of starting my own “scalping ring” (on a very small, but very lucrative level). After buying tickets a few times from a specific ticket “agency”, I became tight with the owner and others “in the business” and wound up working for him in the office for a few years starting in '77. During this time I made good contacts and wound up running my own “side hustle”. Many good stories will be shared on these, that basically ran from 1977-1982.
6) “M” - Buying tickets through Mail Order. This was done rarely and pretty boring actually. It only happened for some real big acts of the time, but certainly not all big acts used this method, thankfully. Some interesting stories though on getting lucky with these tickets.
7) “L” - Getting a ticket solely on blind luck & good fortune.
8) “W” - Winning tickets through radio call in. Only a few, but interesting nonetheless.
9) “H” - Pure happenstance. Originally not planning on attending but…...
10) “G” - Whether it was a girlfriend, a date or later on, the wife, they were the reason I went to a specific show…
11) “C” - There were many shows, starting in 1983 (Meadowlands Arena) and 1987 (MSG) where I had a friend who worked security who got me and some buddies into shows for free.

***I will break down the shows by years (or year when there were many) starting with 1973-1974 (total of only 8 shows) before we get to 1975 when it really started to ramp up. I was married in 1987 and had twin boys in 1990, which led to a reduction of shows for some time. I was also in a musical “funk” around that time (hair metal kind of did a job on me) and it was not until 1992 when I went to see one of my favorite metal bands (Iron F’N Maiden) and I saw a fascinating opening band named Dream Theater that I got REALLY interested once again in the current music scene!

1972 Regrettable Misses
3/11 David Cassidy @ MSG
6/9 Elvis @ MSG
7/24 Rolling Stones / Stevie Wonder @ MSG
8/30 John Lennon & Yoko Ono @ MSG
11/19 Elton John @ Carnegie Hall
12/8 Jethro Tull / Roxy Music @ MSG

1973-1974 (The Beginning) coming soon (Jan 2nd)!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 02:20:05 PM by DTwwbwMP »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts for me!.....(PRELUDE)
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2022, 02:16:09 PM »
Keep it coming!

I was looking back over my list. Looks like as of this week, it'll be 262 since July 1995. I have a long way to go if I ever want to sniff 800. I doubt I will!  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2022, 02:40:20 PM »
This is so awesome. A, this makes me think how it would've been to start going to gigs in the early 70s, and how many incredible bands I may have gotten to see, and B, I wish I'd kept a record of all the gigs I've ever been to! I think including festivals I'd have a couple of hundred easily!

Edit: OK fuck it, this thread inspired me to create a setlist.fm account (been thinking about it for years) to attempt to keep record of the gigs I've been to.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 03:31:37 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2022, 03:55:04 PM »

Guess no one caught this (or cared enough to indulge my stupid sense of humor).   :lol

This was the method used to gain entry into “most” of the concerts I attended from ‘73-’76 (and a few others afterwards). The older guys we hung out with began going to concerts in ‘71-’72. We heard stories of them seeing The Stones, Grand Funk, Jethro Tull (who was “he” 😀), Deep Purple, The Moody Blues and others. The funny thing was they hardly ever “purchased” tickets. Their scheme was simply buying a whole bunch of NY Yankee bleacher tickets from Ticketron (later known as Ticketmaster) @ $.50 - $1 per ticket, then use that ticket, plus slipping the ticket taker at Madison Square Garden a couple of bucks per ticket, and whalllla…entry! When my friends and I started doing this, it went from a couple of bucks, to maybe a $5 spot (per ticket) along the way, but it was always interesting pulling this off. Some shows, we’d hear people complaining about spending $25-$50 (and sometimes more….BIG money “back in the day”) by buying tickets from scalpers outside the arena and we’d just laugh. My system for getting a “real stub” was simply by offering anyone who was interested a dollar for their stub at the show's close. More times than not, I’d just be given the stub for no fee. Why, from show #1, I wanted a stub, I don’t know, but I’m glad I did. There are many interesting stories being let in with this method, and I will make sure to tell a condensed story.

This sort of thing is why I would have loved to have been about 10 years older.  This was NOT happening when I started going to concerts (at least not where I was) and obviously isn't possible anymore.  It's totally wild to imagine this sort of thing.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2022, 03:59:30 PM »

Guess no one caught this (or cared enough to indulge my stupid sense of humor).   :lol

Damn, went right over my bald head! :facepalm: Good one! :tup

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2022, 04:59:33 PM »

This sort of thing is why I would have loved to have been about 10 years older.  This was NOT happening when I started going to concerts (at least not where I was) and obviously isn't possible anymore.  It's totally wild to imagine this sort of thing.

A guy I went to high school with did the fake ticket thing in the early 1980’s. He would buy tickets for cheap events and erase the event information off the ticket. He’d then write in the info for the concert he was going to. I don’t know how he managed to make it legitimate looking, but it worked.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2022, 05:45:36 PM »
^ ha,ha. Either the first or second time I did this, the ticket taker looked at the yankee bleacher ticket, then looked at me, winked his eye and said "I'm a Mets fan" lol :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2022, 05:58:26 PM »
Looking forward to this, and if you do write that book, perhaps this thread will make a good outline.

You will finish it before you die though right?  :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2022, 06:57:22 PM »
Looking forward to this, and if you do write that book, perhaps this thread will make a good outline.

You will finish it before you die though right?  :lol

Let's hope! ;) :metal

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2022, 07:01:23 PM »
Keep it coming!

I was looking back over my list. Looks like as of this week, it'll be 262 since July 1995. I have a long way to go if I ever want to sniff 800. I doubt I will!  :lol

:metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2022, 07:40:05 PM »
D....P, I can relate to a couple of things in your post...Ticketron and sleeping out for tickets. My first concert was 10 years after yours...

Now sleeping out for tickets would be the last thing old fogey me would want to do, but back in the day, when we were young, that's just how it was, and we made the best of it. It was a whole experience unto itself. Getting baked, someone going to get donuts. We all had each other's back. There was a respect about which car was first, etc...

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2022, 10:35:14 PM »
D....P, I can relate to a couple of things in your post...Ticketron and sleeping out for tickets. My first concert was 10 years after yours...

Now sleeping out for tickets would be the last thing old fogey me would want to do, but back in the day, when we were young, that's just how it was, and we made the best of it. It was a whole experience unto itself. Getting baked, someone going to get donuts. We all had each other's back. There was a respect about which car was first, etc...

Oh, the stories I have from overnight camp outs at Madison Square Garden.....some of the wildest nights of my life! :corn

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2022, 08:27:51 AM »
I only slept out for tickets once. Billy Joel back in the 90s. Local TM outlet. Actually, wasn't local, we drove 20 minutes east to this place where we knew very little people would be. We got there at like 2 a.m. and were third on line.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »
I only slept out for tickets once. Billy Joel back in the 90s. Local TM outlet. Actually, wasn't local, we drove 20 minutes east to this place where we knew very little people would be. We got there at like 2 a.m. and were third on line.

:tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2022, 07:45:07 AM »

I got it (The Ocean) but didn't have a chance to respond...

Offline DTwwbwMP

2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts for me!.....(PRELUDE & 1972 misses)
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2022, 02:40:49 PM »
Bump for start on Monday.  :tup

PRELUDE…A LONGGGGGG story, SHORT
       I was born in Jersey City, NJ in January, 1960 and until the age of 12, my only concerns in life were sports, girls, friends, family and school. My idea of music was whatever I was hearing on AM radio stations that played one “one hit wonder” after another (which I still love to this day). It was in 1972 that I met a friend who would drastically change my life. I mean, jeez, I married his sister 15 years later (but hey, that’s not what this is all about). My new friend was “musically mature”. He introduced me to albums by Elton, The Beatles, Chicago, The Who, The Stones and many others. A year later, his older brother introduced us to an amazing sounding band called “Queen” (of all things), plus bands that he called “Progressive rockers”. I was hooked! My new “concern” was now as important as the others. Then, in the summer of 1973, hanging out with friends (some a few years older), something called “concerts”, came into my life. Now, 50 years later, I’m closing in on 800 concerts (with all stubs collected in a book for posterity)! As I'm now retired, my wife constantly pushes me to write a book about all the concerts I’ve attended. Well, this certainly isn’t a book, but I think posting on this great site may interest a bunch of you. If not, it’s at least giving me something to do!  👍

Before I get into it, I want to set up some classifications of concert tickets:
2) “S” - Buying a ticket outside of the venue from a “scalper” for entry or from a ticket “Agency” (basically, a “legal”scalper). This was a method used at various times (especially at non-MSG venues as I was afraid my “fake ticket” scheme wouldn’t work). Again, any interesting stories will be shared.
3) “P” - Buying tickets through the regular “on sale” date either from venue or Ticketron/Master (in person or nowadays, online). Shouldn’t be many stories on this method, other than a few instances.
4) “C1” - Buying tickets from the venue after camping out all night! Lots of fun stories on these.
5) “C2” - Buying tickets from the venue after camping out all night! This was under the guise of starting my own “scalping ring” (on a very small, but very lucrative level). After buying tickets a few times from a specific ticket “agency”, I became tight with the owner and others “in the business” and wound up working for him in the office for a few years starting in '77. During this time I made good contacts and wound up running my own “side hustle”. Many good stories will be shared on these, that basically ran from 1977-1982.
6) “M” - Buying tickets through Mail Order. This was done rarely and pretty boring actually. It only happened for some real big acts of the time, but certainly not all big acts used this method, thankfully. Some interesting stories though on getting lucky with these tickets.
7) “L” - Getting a ticket solely on blind luck & good fortune.
8) “W” - Winning tickets through radio call in. Only a few, but interesting nonetheless.
9) “H” - Pure happenstance. Originally not planning on attending but…...
10) “G” - Whether it was a girlfriend, a date or later on, the wife, they were the reason I went to a specific show…
11) “C” - There were many shows, starting in 1983 (Meadowlands Arena) and 1987 (MSG) where I had a friend who worked security who got me and some buddies into shows for free.

***I will break down the shows by years (or year when there were many) starting with 1973-1975 (total of 19 shows) before we get to 1976 when it really started to ramp up. I was married in 1987 and had twin boys in 1990, which led to a reduction of shows for some time. I was also in a musical “funk” around that time (hair metal kind of did a job on me) and it was not until 1992 when I went to see one of my favorite metal bands (Iron F’N Maiden) and I saw a fascinating opening band named Dream Theater that I got REALLY interested once again in the current music scene!

1972 Regrettable Misses
3/11 David Cassidy @ MSG
6/9 Elvis @ MSG
7/24 Rolling Stones / Stevie Wonder @ MSG
8/30 John Lennon & Yoko Ono @ MSG
11/19 Elton John @ Carnegie Hall
12/8 Jethro Tull / Roxy Music @ MSG

1973-1975 (The Beginning) coming Monday (Jan 2nd)!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 2023 FIFTY-year anniversary of concerts for me!.....(PRELUDE & 1972 misses)
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2022, 03:35:19 PM »
Well shit, I'm in.  Not sure how I didn't step into this thread earlier.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion