Do you actually like your job?

Yes
27 (67.5%)
No
5 (12.5%)
sometimes, but I would do something else if I could
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Do you actually like your job?  (Read 4623 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Do you actually like your job?
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2022, 03:35:26 AM »
Overall yes, but it's complicated. I work in hospice and the last couple years have been hell. The company I was at for almost 6yrs became kind of toxic, but it was super hard to leave. I just started at a new company last week which seems good so far, with some really great people (many of whom I worked with previously and am friends with). I love talking about death all the time and spending time with cool (mostly) old people, hearing their stories, etc. I hate the system, and I hate that I *have* to work within it in order to survive, but I love doing something meaningful.

I do think every job to some extent is going to have aspects you don't like, but if you're really unhappy I don't think it's worth sticking around just for what feels more comfortable. As my job constantly reminds me, life is short.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2022, 04:40:31 AM »
I would say it's probably the most consistently enjoyable job I've had.

My job before might have had individually better days - I worked mainly as a driver and we worked in pairs of two (or three) and we went around gathering clothes from donation boxes. Depending on the route and the day for example I could be on one of the longer routes where we'd drive for an hour before we got to our first stop and sometimes we would have pretty chill days where the boxes weren't that full, and those days were really nice from a work perspective. Just a lot of time spent driving with some music, not that much time spent on actually working and add on top of that a lunch at a fastfood restaurant and the possibility of getting to go home from work early (with pay) because we finished our route early - those were some great days. But those were also a bit few and far between and we also had days when the boxes were full, the weather was horrible and you're standing in pouring rain trying to empty a full box into 6-8 garbage bags as fast as you can so that you can get into the car again. Or frozen locks that required a small blowtorch to heat up and get into. So yeah, my last job was very fun and chill at its best but could also be very heavy and frustrating at its worst.  :lol

Currently I work at Volvo Trucks and I'm a forklift driver for the logistics area of the factory. What is nice about it is that we have a bunch of different forklifts that you perform different tasks with so you could get some nice variety in a week. I don't know the different names of them in english but we have kinda your normal one with the forks in front of you where you sit in a small cabin, and these we drive on the outside and we load some pallets onto a wagon that goes inside. We also have the sideways ones inside where the forks are on your side and slides out, and here we usually replace pallets around an area for people working and building things with what's inside. We also have a model with the forks on the back where you attach a shelf with small boxes in it (sorted by machines) and we drive these out to the right address. We also have 2 'trains' where you drive a standing truck with some wagons attached behind it. So overall there's some variety here and you can get different tasks to really add some variety to the week as a whole. If you're unlucky and do the same job for 4-5 days it can get repetitive but it doesn't usually happen THAT often.

Otherwise I like the structure of the day quite a lot. I start my work day at 6.47 and end at 15.48 and in between these 9 hours we have a 30 min breakfast break from 8.35 to 9.05, we have a 40 min lunch roughly from 11.00 to 11.38, then we also have a afternoon break from around 13.40 to 14.00. I'm so used to my previous jobs where we would only get a lunch break in the whole day and that made the days feel very slow when you basically work for 4 - 4 ½ hours, got a break, then work 4 - 4 ½ hours. With the current structure and the breaks I view a working day as working in blocks of 1 ½ - 2 hours and it just kinda makes it feel faster. Every break you're basically another 25% through the day. We also have a system that because we work a few minutes longer per day than 'industry standard', we get a paid free day off every 6 weeks or so. Usually on a Friday. They also sometimes put these for example if Thursday is a holiday but Friday is a normal day, they might give us that Friday off as well and we get an extended weekend. They call it 'Yellow days' and I really like this system. Can't complain when you get an extended weekend and shorter work week every now and then.  :lol

Only real downside is that when I take the bus (which is most weeks) I have to wake up at 5:10 and take a bus that goes at 5:35. I've had jobs before where I could have the alarm at 6:00 for example, going up almost an hour earlier can be rough some days.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2022, 07:41:23 AM »
Overall yes, but it's complicated. I work in hospice and the last couple years have been hell. The company I was at for almost 6yrs became kind of toxic, but it was super hard to leave. I just started at a new company last week which seems good so far, with some really great people (many of whom I worked with previously and am friends with). I love talking about death all the time and spending time with cool (mostly) old people, hearing their stories, etc. I hate the system, and I hate that I *have* to work within it in order to survive, but I love doing something meaningful.

I do think every job to some extent is going to have aspects you don't like, but if you're really unhappy I don't think it's worth sticking around just for what feels more comfortable. As my job constantly reminds me, life is short.

Ever read the book "Visions, Trips, and Crowded Rooms"?  I'd be curious if you had, and whether you experienced anything like that (I did with my mom, who was in hospice when she passed).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2022, 07:44:24 AM »
Bill, curious about that book?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2022, 07:58:04 AM »
I enjoy my pay, my benefits, my hybrid schedule, my relationship with my boss, and I can just duck out if I need to get to a doctor appointment or something. I absolutely loathe the job though. In nearly 8 years here, I've literally not had a single morning where I was excited for the day, or looking forward to any aspect of one. I sit at a computer all day, and it's mind numbingly depressing at times. 

I work a side job on Sundays in a kitchen for a little less than half of what my other job pays, and I find that job infinitely better. Don't get me wrong, there are times when it's shit, like yesterday when a refrigerator died and we lost a few grand in catering that had to be redone, but on the whole there's a weird part of me that really enjoys it. I like playing with knives and making food, and having the ability to curse like a sailor without receiving a call from HR. I don't even need the job anymore, but I get 20% off groceries and there's a kind of anxiety relief in knowing that if my main job were to go belly-up, I already have my foot in the door elsewhere and could spool up to full time at a moments notice if I really needed to. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 09:00:45 AM by Chino »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2022, 08:25:04 AM »

Ever read the book "Visions, Trips, and Crowded Rooms"?  I'd be curious if you had, and whether you experienced anything like that (I did with my mom, who was in hospice when she passed).

I haven't read it but just based on the description yeah, have seen a lot of that at work! It is super interesting. What kind of stuff did your mom say/see (if you're comfortable sharing)?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2022, 08:29:50 AM »

I haven't read it but just based on the description yeah, have seen a lot of that at work! It is super interesting. What kind of stuff did your mom say/see (if you're comfortable sharing)?

For the last... couple months of her life, she was confined to a wheelchair, and in the last week or so, whenever someone tried to move her - including me - she would panic because she was waiting for her husband to come back and help her on the bus.  Like I said, even with me, she knew who I was - when she looked at me she would smile - but she kept talking about "her husband" (she ALWAYS called him "your father" with me) and how she had to be ready for him to get her on the bus.

That's it in a nutshell; I'm more than comfortable sharing, but I'm sort of really conscious about not trying to find something that isn't there. But this was so stark, and it wasn't just me that experienced it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2022, 02:18:42 PM »
Yeah, sounds about right! People talk about traveling a lot near the end whether it's being picked up by somebody or catching a bus/train/plane or just "going home." And yeah soo common to see dead family members and whatnot. I just saw a documentary about that called Death is But a Dream.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2022, 02:22:32 PM »
That's really interesting, I wasn't aware of that phenomena. Along the same lines, there's a netflix mini series called "Surviving Death" and basically goes into some science and theories about what people experience when they "die" based on stories from a large amount of people.  Really interesting stuff, but I haven't watched more than an episode at this point. But it does seem a lot of peoples experiences are similar.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2022, 10:38:39 PM »
Yeah, it's really interesting but also frustrating that so many people see it as "evidence" of an afterlife and stuff like that considering what we know about the pineal gland/DMT and that sort of thing. That said, it's pretty weird how similar a lot of the experiences are and I've heard some pretty crazy stories that leave me shrugging, like a dying person seeing a dead person they'd never met before.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2022, 06:53:03 AM »
Yeah, it's really interesting but also frustrating that so many people see it as "evidence" of an afterlife and stuff like that considering what we know about the pineal gland/DMT and that sort of thing. That said, it's pretty weird how similar a lot of the experiences are and I've heard some pretty crazy stories that leave me shrugging, like a dying person seeing a dead person they'd never met before.

That's the book in a nutshell; you may not like some of the inferences (that is, that there is an afterlife) but the "Visions" is the section about seeing specific people, family members, etc., the phenomenon being that the "patient" is talking to someone that isn't visible to others in the room.  I didn't experience any of that.  The "Trips" part is about experiences like my mom's.   And the "Crowded Rooms" is about a version of the "Visions" where it's not one person but, wait for it, Long Beach... a crowd.  In one case, a teacher saw all the deceased members of one of her classes. 

It's fascinating, whether you believe the implications or not, since so many of the experiences are similar/the same.  I will say this; my therapist recommended I read the book after my dad passed in June, and so then experiencing that phenomenon not three months later with my mom was more than a little unnerving. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2022, 06:08:27 AM »
Speaking of near death experience

here goes a lady that tells her story of it

"While In A Coma She Was Shown Heaven, Hell, And The Truth About Beliefs And Manifestations (NDE)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtaS1Zyrxnw&ab_channel=TheOtherSideNDE

You may have to rewind to the beginning

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2022, 09:54:21 AM »
Sweet, saving for later! And that's interesting Stadler, but yeah, can see how it would be unnerving.
Even when they don't say "Mom is in the room" or whatever you can usually tell when folks are seeing somebody, it's really interesting.

One of the weirder stories I heard was about a dying lady saying there was a guy standing at the foot of her bed wearing a towel around his waist, and she also described some of his features. One of the grandkids brought over a laptop and showed her a photo and she was like "yeah, that's him." She had never met that person, but it was a guy the grandkid knew who had drowned  :|

I'm glad we've hijacked this thread with death. Story of my life :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2022, 09:57:06 AM »
Other people reading this thread:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2022, 10:12:22 AM »

It's kinda my goal in life to turn every conversation to death or Nicolas Cage. Or both.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2022, 10:14:17 AM »

It's kinda my goal in life to turn every conversation to death or Nicolas Cage. Or both.

What if Nic Cage dies?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2022, 10:19:03 AM »

It's the DTF way, but I find this stuff very interesting so I have enjoyed you and stadler sharing your experiences.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2022, 10:19:26 AM »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2022, 10:21:09 AM »

I see no problem with this.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2022, 12:55:01 PM »
Sweet, saving for later! And that's interesting Stadler, but yeah, can see how it would be unnerving.
Even when they don't say "Mom is in the room" or whatever you can usually tell when folks are seeing somebody, it's really interesting.

One of the weirder stories I heard was about a dying lady saying there was a guy standing at the foot of her bed wearing a towel around his waist, and she also described some of his features. One of the grandkids brought over a laptop and showed her a photo and she was like "yeah, that's him." She had never met that person, but it was a guy the grandkid knew who had drowned  :|

I'm hoping that if I appear to the living after my death that I either a) have the abs to be walking around in a towel, or b) have the sense to pick a different outfit!  :)

Those stories freak me out.  Not as much as Ronny Cammerari's fake hand in Moonstruck, though (I love that movie).

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2022, 03:24:33 PM »
Sumo Wrestlers with full beer kegs walk around with far less than a towel. Embrace body positivity Stads! :D

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2022, 12:14:03 AM »
:lol, you guys are the best

Gawd I love Moonstruck and it's really the only Cage movie I find him hot in.

The only appropriate response :eyebrows:

It's the DTF way, but I find this stuff very interesting so I have enjoyed you and stadler sharing your experiences.

Maybe I should start an "ask a hospice worker" thread haha

What if Nic Cage dies?

HE IS THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2022, 06:12:39 AM »
We could pretty much have a meme fest all day with ones featuring Nic Cage from Face/Off alone.  Who's ready for it? :P

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2022, 06:47:31 AM »
I voted no.

I've resented the need to work for money all of my life. But on top of that, I've hated the industry I'm in and the customers I sell to for at least 30 years. I've been doing this for 42 years, so the first decade was when I got all my enjoyment, the rest has been pure shit. Fortunately, I'm half retired now and only go to the office 20 hours a week. I've finally  got the office manager trained as to what constitutes an emergency, and what doesn't, so that's an improvement.

But I've made a comfortable living, and I'm able to do what I wish during my off hours, so...mission accomplished.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2022, 02:57:41 PM »
I voted no.

I've resented the need to work for money all of my life. But on top of that, I've hated the industry I'm in and the customers I sell to for at least 30 years. I've been doing this for 42 years, so the first decade was when I got all my enjoyment, the rest has been pure shit. Fortunately, I'm half retired now and only go to the office 20 hours a week. I've finally  got the office manager trained as to what constitutes an emergency, and what doesn't, so that's an improvement.

But I've made a comfortable living, and I'm able to do what I wish during my off hours, so...mission accomplished.

Interesting.  I get it, but what choice do we have?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2022, 05:50:10 PM »
None. Thus the resentment. All the same, I’ve never flinched from difficult or unpleasant jobs. As you know, I’ve also had quite a few loved ones depending on me. That has made it worth the struggle.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2022, 07:37:08 PM »
Figured this is a good thread to come out of retirement/lurker mode on!

Most of the time, I enjoy it and find it meaningful.  I lead the global development team for a drug to prevent long-term rejection of kidney transplants, at a semi-major pharma company.

-It's meaningful work, it's keeping transplant recipients off dialysis, and in some cases keeping them alive
-I like most of my colleagues, and my boss is great
-I'm learning something every day, getting better at what I do and incorporating new perspectives/knowledge
-The work is a challenge, but it's not overwhelming
-I have the opportunity to move the needle on how the R&D side of the company does things, as that part of the org is still relatively young
-There's opportunity to coach/mentor a couple of more junior folks, that is maybe my favorite part of any job
-I'm theoretically supposed to be onsite a day a week, but most of my team is in the EU, so it doesn't really matter...I've been on-site once!
-The company is amazingly respectful of work-life balance
-Everybody loves it when I have the baby on my lap for Zoom/Teams calls

There are sometimes obnoxious systems/politics/bureaucracy, but much less than there can be other places, and I seem to carry enough weight that I can push back when needed.  It's still very wild to me that I'm considered an executive at a 30k+ person company.

I am aware that I am very fortunate. This is underscored by what a flaming abusive trashfire my previous gig was/is.  I'm still getting gossip from that place, and it's...ugly.  But I'm far enough removed from it now that I can just grab the popcorn when I hear stuff.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2022, 07:41:07 PM »
Millahh checking in!

Glad the new gig is working out.

And a baby??  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2022, 07:47:50 PM »
Millahh checking in!

Indeed!  Ivy is eight months old!  Between her and the new gig, that's kind of why I haven't really posted a whole lot...baby pulls a lot of the bandwidth that used to be reserved for fucking around on DTF!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2022, 07:48:41 PM »
Millahh checking in!

Indeed!  Ivy is eight months old!  Between her and the new gig, that's kind of why I haven't really posted a whole lot...baby pulls a lot of the bandwidth that used to be reserved for fucking around on DTF!

As she should. Don't be a stranger.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2022, 11:38:13 PM »

Aw shit, hey and congrats! I feel you on the bandwidth for different reasons.

And Podaar, also feel you on the resentment.

We could pretty much have a meme fest all day with ones featuring Nic Cage from Face/Off alone.  Who's ready for it? :P

Yesss  :metal

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2022, 05:42:49 AM »
Millahh checking in!

Glad you and the family are well, my friend. ^_^

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2022, 07:02:29 AM »
I voted no.

Interesting.  I get it, but what choice do we have?

Total respect for Podaar, but I'm sort of there too; it is what it is.  I have enough in my life to worry about or be resentful about, I can't waste bandwidth on that.  The vast majority of people have to work to live and even those that don't are sort of bullied into it by the "do your fair share" argument. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2022, 03:20:17 PM »
Serious question.  Has anyone ever actually been purposely targeted in the workplace where they feel they are getting managed or bullied out?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2022, 04:06:19 PM »
Yes I do love my current job in the AU Military, all up I've done 22 years,