Author Topic: Marvel Studios' Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 - Out Now! (Spoiler Talk!)  (Read 26984 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Normally I’d get tickets for Thursday night but my wife and I were supposed to see one of her favorite bands that night. So I got tickets for Saturday. Then the band cancelled the show.

Poop. Ah well. Just gotta try to avoid spoilers until then.

I seem to remember your wedding vows included a disclaimer that MCU opening nights took priority over everything else....

This…..is a good point. Hmmmm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

Seeing it Friday night, first theater outing in 3 years!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
On my way to a Coheed show, and who do I see near the venue, Mr. Starlord himself. Guess he's in NY promoting the movie.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
I just got back from watching Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and oh boy, do I have a lot to say! Without getting into any spoilers, I have to tell you that this movie is hands down the best one to come out since Endgame and Spider-Man.

The cinematography is nothing short of breathtaking - the visuals are stunning and really help to immerse you in the story. The banda sonora (soundtrack) is fantastic and complements the movie perfectly, adding that extra layer of emotion and excitement we all love.

The acting in this installment is top-notch - the entire cast really outdid themselves, and I found myself easily getting invested in the plot. Speaking of the plot, it's incredibly well-crafted and engaging - I was hooked from start to finish.

What I really appreciated about GoTG Vol. 3 was the balance in its humor. It wasn't trying too hard to be funny just for the sake of it, and I think that really helped the movie shine. The humor was spot-on, and it felt natural and perfectly timed.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend checking it out. You won't be disappointed! Can't wait to hear what you all think about it.

Happy watching! 🍿🎬

P.S: There's 2 post credit scenes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Brilliant non spoiler review. Can't wait!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Really like this movie. And I also have a lot to comment on, but overall, excellent movie.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
2/2

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
It sucked.  0/5 stars.  Would not watch again.

EDIT:  Oops, wrong thread.  I was talking about game 1 of the Lakers/Warriors series.  Disregard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
It sucked.  0/5 stars.  Would not watch again.

EDIT:  Oops, wrong thread.  I was talking about game 1 of the Lakers/Warriors series.  Disregard.

Game 2 was a 6/5 though...it was funny, I was at the Warning show, and before the first band I checked the score...Lakers up by like 3, and I was all 'oh shit, the Dubs might be doomed...'... then between the first band and Plush I checked and the Dubs were up a little bit, so I was 'ok, they're making a game of it'.

Then I checked before the Warning, around the end of the 3rd, and they had like a 30 point lead and I was all 'wtf?' :rollin

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Lol I saw the score on the first quarter and was like "ok, ok", then checked again in the 3rd quarter and the Lakers were down 20, I said out loud "WTF"  :lol

Enjoy the movie Lonestar.

Offline faizoff

In the theater now, can't wait to watch 30 minutes of trailers before the movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
In the theater... Let's fucking goooooooo

Online Adami

I assume this thread won't have spoilers for a few days?

Seeing it tomorrow. Should I stop opening this thread?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I'm assuming no spoilers for a week to give others a chance to see it

Offline faizoff

Non spoiler review: Quite enjoyable.

I liked it a lot more than GotG 2. The first one is still my favorite one. If I had to rate it I'd say 7.5/10. Fun movie but did feel long at parts.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Absolutely loved it. Definitely one of the strongest post-Endgame flicks for me.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I thought it was a good closure to the GotG trilogy, if it ends up being the last one it felt satisfying, if they decide to do another there's still room to expand. Everyone got their moments to shine and while I personally feel fatigued with some of the elements - like the mixtape songs and their usage, forced MCU humor (a running bit with Cosmo being a bad dog) and undercutting serious moments with jokes removing the stakes/tension, I still thought this was one of the better MCU movies post Endgame. Maybe not better than No Way Home but probably the rest.

Don't think it necessarily needed to be 2 ½ hours though and I felt a bit skeptical right off the bat because the start of the film felt a bit lackluster and it took a while to get going. Warlock and the portrayal of him by Will Poulter was a pleasant surprise to me. I had just assumed he would be the villain and I had that worry of "How will Will Poulter pull off what I assume will be a serious bad guy?" but then he's sort of a minor character that turns out to be this great doofus and the choice of him to play that role really worked in a great way.

Overall though I think the heart and soul of this movie is Rocket Raccoon and all of that emotional stuff actually worked surprisingly well for me.

Online Adami

Absolutely loved it. Heart wrenching film.

Will discuss more when we can do spoilers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

I just told my wife that some of the most critical people that I know are giving it universal praise.  :angel:  :lol I’d say that’s a good sign. We will probably go see it next weekend after we get back from Florida.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

I just told my wife that some of the most critical people that I know are giving it universal praise.  :angel:  :lol I’d say that’s a good sign. We will probably go see it next weekend after we get back from Florida.

It’s getting a fair amount of criticism. There’s definitely issues and flaws but they just didn’t bug me. But different people feel differently about the movie. I haven’t seen anyone not like it, but a good amount of “meh” which I don’t get but such is life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Yeah the movie has its flaws, and I have one major issue with it, but the bad is overshadowed by all the good it has.

Offline jammindude

I only have one question and I would request that it please be answered in spoiler font. Is the post credit sequence from GOTG2 resolved? Or do they just forget it ever happened?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
I only have one question and I would request that it please be answered in spoiler font. Is the post credit sequence from GOTG2 resolved? Or do they just forget it ever happened?

They did, but they made it look like it was the high evolutionary work

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room

It’s getting a fair amount of criticism. There’s definitely issues and flaws but they just didn’t bug me. But different people feel differently about the movie. I haven’t seen anyone not like it, but a good amount of “meh” which I don’t get but such is life.

I feel like the superhero fatigue is starting to really set in now, I notice it just not in myself but among friends and colleagues that the general excitement level for any new superhero movie isn't as high. There's still some hype, but it's not "Oh I really can't wait to see that", it's more "I should probably see that since I saw the other ones". And I think with that fatigue, it just sets the bar at a different level. The general consensus about the MCU post Endgame doesn't seem to be that it's been bad, it's more that it's been "just okay" which in itself is a disappointment for some people.

GotG vol 3 was definitely one of the better entries post Endgame but there's still elements to this film that would have gone over better if they hadn't already done similar things 28 times before.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

I was gonna throw rocks at you if you said the writing was weak again. I was literally thinking that as I watched it  :lol

Offline ErHaO

Yes, I really enjoyed this one. This film was surprisingly dark/intense at moments, while appropriately having classic GOTG/MCU comedy. Unlike, say, Thor 3, this film knows when to keep scenes serious/dramatic. Also, good character arcs for the main cast.

Online Adami

I was gonna throw rocks at you if you said the writing was weak again. I was literally thinking that as I watched it  :lol

There was a weak moment or two but nothing to trip over. Definitely nothing worth being stoned to death over.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online The Letter M

Just saw it earlier this afternoon and I loved it. Probably an S-Tier MCU film for me. I loved almost pretty much everything. There were a couple moments that felt on-the-nose or a bit "oh, huh, so they're doing tha-...oh, never mind then." But the amount of violence and darkness and drama was really handled well, and the humor didn't really feel like it tarnished the tone or clashed with the film like most of Thor: Love & Thunder did.

As for spoiler talk, we can do that starting this Friday, the 12th.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Although I don't dislike L&T as much as some, it is still near the bottom of the list.  Wakanda Forever for me is a dud and Ant-Man 3 even worse.  So I was really hopefully GotG3 would change this downward trend - and my God did it ever, this was fantastic.  I always find it hard to rank these films until I've done a rewatch, but right now on the way I felt walking out the cinema this feels Top 3 worthy.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw it yesterday. Quite an emotional rollercoaster. I only have one complaint with it, but it's so minor that I don't think it ruined my enjoyment of the movie. For sure, my favorite MCU film in quite a while.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Saw this last night. I felt the ending dragged on a bit, but it was otherwise very good. Like others, I think the top tier post Endgame.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
"There is no God. That's why I stepped in." I just gotta say, that line from the supervillain was pure gold! It really sums up their whole deal, you know? It's a shame they didn't give the High Evolutionary a backstory like they usually do with Marvel villains, but I guess it would've been a lot to cover. Thankfully, the focus was mainly on our favorite scruffy and lovable heroes, the Guardians.

Can we talk about Adam Warlock's introduction? It was absolutely fantastic. It actually made me even more disappointed with Kang's portrayal in Quantumania because Adam seemed way more hardcore, both in action and presence. And let's not forget about the High Evolutionary—they totally lived up to their reputation.

Rockets' backstory hit me right in the feels. It had some seriously dark and heartbreaking moments that had me tearing up during the film. I never expected that, but James Gunn really knows how to create stunning visuals and emotionally gripping storytelling. I genuinely hope they explore more of the colony's story in the future.

The action scenes were top-notch, filled with excitement and well-choreographed sequences. The movie struck a perfect balance between action, comedy, and drama, all while keeping the focus on the characters and their relationships.

Oh, and can we take a moment to appreciate when I finally understood Groot's language? It happened so quickly, but it was such a powerful and satisfying moment. It left me with a big smile by the end of the movie.

Overall, it was an incredible experience, blending humor, heart, and a whole lot of fun.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Yeah the movie has its flaws, and I have one major issue with it,...

This was my major issue with the movie.

Can we talk about Adam Warlock's introduction?

I thought the whole Adam Warlock thing was weak. Now, don't get me wrong, I liked the character, but it felt like they were writing the movie and said
-Oh hey, remember we teased Adam Warlock in GOTG2, we should write him in
-Oh right, just write him in and give him some fights
-But then his character wouldn't have a reason to be in the movie
-Just have him save one of the guardians at some point. It'll be fine.

I thought Warlock story could've been a little better, that's all. With that said, everything else I think the movie did right, including having the High Evolutionary be the creator of the Sovereign race, and in an extension the creator of Warlock. For me, this movie had the one thing that the MCU has been missing since Endgame, and that is a focus on the characters, instead of the plot itself. Everyone did an amazing job with their role. The comedy felt well balanced. I have to say, the delivery of that F-bomb was great :lol

The one thing I was not expecting, but I loved that Gunn went in that direction is keeping Gamora to her truth self. I was worried about a cheese reunion/love story with Peter, but instead they went with a more realistic approach which I thought was a smart move. The villain was terrifying, and I saw some similarities to Kang (Just better).

Now that Marvel will probably recast Kang, I think this movie gave them a way out, but we will see.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 08:21:42 AM by Vmadera00 »

Offline ErHaO

I think Warlock should and could have had a bit more screen time to flesh the character our, but I have no problems with his arc/writing.

Online Adami

I was fine with Warlock, but he definitely did not need to be in the movie and if they cut him out, it'd be fine.

More thoughts when I'm less sleepy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com