Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 162005 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1400 on: July 16, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
???  Who is Gaez?

Baltar.....not sure of the spelling. Gaies....Gaez....Gaius...Guy-EZ......

Like I said....I liked the trial really because of Apollo's 'speech'   But I'm sure as a lawyer you were probably pulling the hair out of your head.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1401 on: July 18, 2019, 11:30:49 AM »
Holy Smokes. 6 Episodes into final season and this is pretty crazy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1402 on: July 18, 2019, 11:56:24 AM »
Oh, just wait. 

I have one word regarding the next episode:  "Jump!"  :omg: :lol
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:30:41 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: July 18, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »
Oh, just wait. 

I have one word regarding the next episode:  "Jump!"  :omg: :lol

Wait....maybe I'm 7 EPs in because I just saw that....when they plugged in the Hybrid at the end. Yeah....that was a tad unexpected!! I'm still not sure why Athena gunned down the '6' who was the spokeswoman?? I know she'd been in the dreams and all that but Athena lost it there a bit.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1404 on: July 18, 2019, 12:30:50 PM »
Gary, I'm not spoiling anything by saying that Ep. 10 ends on a mid-season cliffhanger.  What I recommend you do BEFORE going on to season 4.5 is find the online webisodes for "The Face of the Enemy."  There are 10 of them that average at about 4 minutes each, and they provide quite a bit of context for a particular character interaction that takes place in the early part of season 4.5.  Here is a link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fROCdL3oX0I&list=PL6x36RZpIH9EE3ziV6iwiuQROC2qmuv6O  But I will caution you to immediately shrink your window so you cannot see the thumbnails and titles for other videos in the right column, as some may link to spoilers.  But it's a good watch before getting into 4.5.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: July 18, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »
Gary, I'm not spoiling anything by saying that Ep. 10 ends on a mid-season cliffhanger.  What I recommend you do BEFORE going on to season 4.5 is find the online webisodes for "The Face of the Enemy."  There are 10 of them that average at about 4 minutes each, and they provide quite a bit of context for a particular character interaction that takes place in the early part of season 4.5.  Here is a link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fROCdL3oX0I&list=PL6x36RZpIH9EE3ziV6iwiuQROC2qmuv6O  But I will caution you to immediately shrink your window so you cannot see the thumbnails and titles for other videos in the right column, as some may link to spoilers.  But it's a good watch before getting into 4.5.
f

cool.  :tup    Thanks for that hint.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1406 on: July 25, 2019, 09:41:14 PM »
DONE!!!  :metal

I mean.....where do I start? That was a pretty friggin awesome series from start to finish. S4 was just crazy. It had me ticked off at people for orchestrating a mutiny to the Series Finale episode with tears welling up...like, legit face trembling type tears.

Starbucks last conversation with Lee was incredible. There were a couple things were her arc I had a hunch on....and her vanishing into thin air was one of them. Especially, after all the 'angel' talk it became pretty obvious. And, I don't remember 'when' it was but I started thinking that she'd lead them to our earth. Anyway....that final scene with her and Lee was touching.

Admiral Adama is one of the best characters in a TV series...easily in Top 10 for me. I'm amazed with how much development his character had....and not just him. This show was incredible with developing these characters to the point of you really cared. Shoot....even when Athena gunned down Boomer I was a bit teary eyed for Boomer's story.

I'm all over the place right now....so much to process with this show. I like how they tied a lot of these 'ancient alien' type theories of the knowledge being spread across the planet by some 'superior' flight capable race of being....that was a neat touch.

I'm assuming they were hinting at the end there that the 'imaginary' Caprica 6 and Baltar were all along some sort of celestial entity's themselves....angels in their own right kind of 'working' for some omnipotent being?

Anyway....I'll probably have more to say....it's all just kind of fresh as I just watched the last (4) episodes in a row....so it's kind of like POW!!! gotta think this through a bit more  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1407 on: July 25, 2019, 09:50:29 PM »
Yeah, the show is one of the best out there...and the last 5 or so episodes is pure perfection.

Someone to Watch Over Me...the one with Kara and the piano is just such a beautiful episode, I love when a show takes it's time to really delve into the emotional makeup of a character, especially in such a simplistic manner, and her performance is just brilliant.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: July 25, 2019, 09:58:45 PM »
Yeah, the show is one of the best out there...and the last 5 or so episodes is pure perfection.

Someone to Watch Over Me...the one with Kara and the piano is just such a beautiful episode, I love when a show takes it's time to really delve into the emotional makeup of a character, especially in such a simplistic manner, and her performance is just brilliant.

That episode was incredible. I love how they built that to where ‘you’......the audience knew that was her Dad long before she did.....and you’re just like “Oh Kara...you sweet little girl.....it’s your Dad helping you out”

You’re right about the last handful of episodes. Such a great job ending a fantastic series.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: July 26, 2019, 10:25:04 AM »
Where I had thought that Hera's importance was going to be more 'physical'....being that she was a human/cylon mix.....it didn't appear that she had any other purpose other than to provide Kara with the right inspiration to ultimately program the coordinates to 'earth'

I was/am a bit confused as to the importance of her being 'discovered' in the future? Are they suggesting that modern day humans are all her descendants only? I had thought that the indigenous population eventually mixed with the refugee population? I just can't put together where Hera being discovered is so important. To me, her importance was guiding Starbuck. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1410 on: July 26, 2019, 03:31:21 PM »
There's quite a lot at the end that's open to interpretation. You could interpret it as there being something particularly unique about her and her blood/DNA that made her more immune to disease, and so only her descendants ended up surviving. But it doesn't have to be the case - the gene pool gets so mixed after not even that many generations that basically we're all descended from the same person/people going back a thousand years. I do think her importance is more than just guiding Starbuck though, I think it was also in demonstrating to both humans and cylons the importance of their shared genes (i.e. there end up being more hybrids, not just Hera) and it being crucial to the survival of their races.

Another point of interpretation is whether the ending means that the show is set in our distant past, which is pretty much implied. But the way I see it, the whole story is about history going in cycles - "all this has happened before and all this will happen again" - and so it doesn't matter whether it's our past, or the one before that, or our future, or the one after that.

Also regarding whether there is a god, or multiple gods, or even whether there's an intelligent god(s) at all and it's simply fate/the cycle of history that causes everything to happen.

It's one of the things I love about the ending. The character arcs are all resolved, and enough is answered to imply explanations but there's room for lots of different interpretation which feels so much more interesting and involving than trying to explain everything with a single answer.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1411 on: December 01, 2020, 04:48:54 PM »
Been rewatching because...why not rewatch?  :lol

Just finished season 3.  Man, that ending!  Quite a bit about the trial of Baltar is an absolute abomination.  But the last 10 minutes of so of that episode with 4 of the final 5 being revealed...and the beginning of the massive dogfight, and Kara being revealed to basically imply that she could be the final Cylon...man, this is some of the best the show has to offer!  :clap:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1412 on: December 01, 2020, 05:09:15 PM »
I was a late comer to this series but loved it. I haven't revisited at all over the past year and a half though since I finished it. I may wait a bit longer to do so.

I don't know what to thing about the reboot that is happening though? I mean, you can't get better than what was done.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1413 on: December 09, 2020, 12:36:23 PM »
In a series that knows how to effectively deliver a gut punch, and does so very well several times over the stretch of the show's run, I found another subtle one that only works on rewatch (because the viewer doesn't have the context to pick up on the significance the first time through):  Dee is the one who narrates "previously on Battlestar Galactica" at the beginning of Sometimes a Great Notion.  That was a nice touch.

A few few other great, notable "gut punch" moments:
-The scene early on when the advance party arrives back in the hangar bay from "earth," and Roslin and Adama just stand there, unable to even form any words, before silently walking away. 
-Dee's...exit from the series at the end of the episode (yeah, it's really an emotional one).
-The one-two punch in the hangar bay in Exodus when the colonists arrive on Galactica after being liberated:  (1) Kara finding out that her "daughter" is somebody else's; (2) Tigh...just...yeah.  (that hangar bay really ends up being the scene of quite a few emotional moments throughout the series, doesn't it?)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1414 on: December 09, 2020, 01:12:13 PM »
In a series that knows how to effectively deliver a gut punch, and does so very well several times over the stretch of the show's run, I found another subtle one that only works on rewatch (because the viewer doesn't have the context to pick up on the significance the first time through):  Dee is the one who narrates "previously on Battlestar Galactica" at the beginning of Sometimes a Great Notion.  That was a nice touch.
I've seen the show three or four times (I think four?), and never noticed that. Great spot!

The rest of those moments are great. BSG just had so many amazing moments, both big ones and subtle ones.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1415 on: December 08, 2022, 04:25:39 PM »
This is one of the best threads ever.  Thought about it again because I've been watching a YouTube reaction channel where they are going through BSG, and just finished season 3.  If you like BSG and like movie/tv show reaction channels, you might like these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxZX3Jrfn7Q&list=PLECnv2eVbEoF7ozYeQBkRUAtwiCqcFbK_

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1416 on: May 17, 2023, 09:03:13 PM »
Paid 5 bucks for a month of Peacock to watch Eurovision (wanted to see Voyager), and it turns out the have all of Battlestar including the miniseries and The Plan...

Brb binge watching it all  :laugh:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: May 17, 2023, 09:17:18 PM »
Paid 5 bucks for a month of Peacock to watch Eurovision (wanted to see Voyager), and it turns out the have all of Battlestar including the miniseries and The Plan...

The reboot series…..with Katie Sackhoff and all of them? Have you ever seen it before ?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1418 on: May 17, 2023, 09:20:00 PM »

The reboot series…..with Katie Sackhoff and all of them? Have you ever seen it before ?

If he's including The Plan and the Miniseries, then I'd guess he's talking about the good one.

And I'd also imagine binge watching that might be a bit too intense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1419 on: May 17, 2023, 09:35:07 PM »
Still need to get started on the series after I got the boxset. Just started a rewatch of Mr. Robot, should've remembered to start this instead.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1420 on: May 17, 2023, 09:36:20 PM »
It's the new one, seen it through 3 times already, but it's been a few years at least. Definitely in the discussion for my favorite show, and Katee as Thrace is an all time favorite character of mine.

Plus Grace Park...  :hearts:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: May 17, 2023, 11:13:32 PM »
It's the new one, seen it through 3 times already, but it's been a few years at least. Definitely in the discussion for my favorite show, and Katee as Thrace is an all time favorite character of mine.

Plus Grace Park...  :hearts:

No shortage of beautiful, strong women on that show.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1422 on: May 29, 2023, 06:43:51 PM »
Mech deep in S2.... This show gets better and better with each re-watch

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1423 on: June 02, 2023, 01:52:33 PM »
Still need to get started on the series after I got the boxset. Just started a rewatch of Mr. Robot, should've remembered to start this instead.

Finally started this series. Got through the 2 episodes of the mini series which also served as the Pilot I guess and I thought they were excellent. Started season 1 now and 2 episodes in and is already very captivating.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1424 on: June 02, 2023, 05:27:06 PM »
Those first two episodes (33 and Water) really set the tone.  Somewhat jealous of you getting to see them with fresh eyes. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1425 on: June 02, 2023, 05:46:04 PM »
I'd maintain 33, even if you haven't seen the miniseries, is one of the greatest opening episodes of any series.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1426 on: June 02, 2023, 07:12:51 PM »
Indeed, since summer break started I wanted to find something to rewatch. I just finished a rewatch of 12 Monkeys, which is probably my favorite series ever. I think BSG is my next rewatch.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1427 on: June 02, 2023, 08:11:34 PM »
Heading into the end of S2...just love all the little nuances and foreshadowing the show has, I even caught hints of Kara's song about halfway through, never noticed that theme came up that early. And following Boomer/Sharon's arc with the knowledge of where it leads just shows how well thought out the whole series was.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1428 on: June 02, 2023, 09:26:35 PM »
Those first two episodes (33 and Water) really set the tone.  Somewhat jealous of you getting to see them with fresh eyes. 
I got the sense of where the show was kinda heading with the miniseries too.

I'd maintain 33, even if you haven't seen the miniseries, is one of the greatest opening episodes of any series.

I'll have to revisit it after finishing the series, right now my favorite opening episodes are from Lost, Mr. Robot, Breaking Bad among others. I thought the mini series part 1 episode was a fanstastic opening episode too.

Indeed, since summer break started I wanted to find something to rewatch. I just finished a rewatch of 12 Monkeys, which is probably my favorite series ever. I think BSG is my next rewatch.
I have the boxset for 12 Monkeys and will be watching that next after BSG.

Sidenote, as I'm trying not to read too much about this online to avoid running into spoilers, is the 2003/2004 BSG a reboot or continuation of the original 1978 BSG? I assumed it would be a reboot. Reason I ask is the cylon that's supposed to be in the museum on the Galactica (along with other things like the Viper), looks like an older version which is maybe a tribute to the original show? Is the 1978 show the original Cylon war?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 09:40:51 PM by faizoff »

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1429 on: June 03, 2023, 11:02:12 AM »
Have you seen 12 Monkeys before?

S4 wraps things up in amazing ways, some of which just blew my mind. If you haven't seen it before, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1430 on: June 03, 2023, 12:01:02 PM »

Dude, you have NO IDEA!  :corn:  There are tons of twists and turns ahead.  Things will go in directions you never would have imagined.  And right now, you're probably in that "gotta catch 'em all" phase of thinking the show is about revealing the 12 humanoid cylon models.  That will change, and the focus will be completely different.

Sidenote, as I'm trying not to read too much about this online to avoid running into spoilers, is the 2003/2004 BSG a reboot or continuation of the original 1978 BSG? I assumed it would be a reboot. Reason I ask is the cylon that's supposed to be in the museum on the Galactica (along with other things like the Viper), looks like an older version which is maybe a tribute to the original show? Is the 1978 show the original Cylon war?

It's a complete reboot.  But they pay homage and offer fan service to the original series in a few places (a VERY big one is coming up soon).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1431 on: June 04, 2023, 03:25:24 PM »
I wonder how many times they had to do re-takes because an actor said fuck instead of frak...and I wonder if the actors to this day still occasionally say frak instead of fuck.

I swear if I ever get a chance to see one of them at a panel I'll ask them. (I would've asked Katee last year but she bailed on the Con at the last minute because of a shoot)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1432 on: June 10, 2023, 10:37:18 AM »
Getting into the real meat and potatoes of S4... I forgot how absolutely brilliant it all comes together.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1433 on: November 26, 2023, 09:51:51 PM »

Dude, you have NO IDEA!  :corn :  There are tons of twists and turns ahead.  Things will go in directions you never would have imagined.  And right now, you're probably in that "gotta catch 'em all" phase of thinking the show is about revealing the 12 humanoid cylon models.  That will change, and the focus will be completely different.

It's a complete reboot.  But they pay homage and offer fan service to the original series in a few places (a VERY big one is coming up soon).

Meant to reply to this post earlier. I just finished season 1 and wow what an ending to the season. I'm loving all the different plotlines going on. The stories and setups are great, the video quality is a bit rough but it doesn't get in the way at all. The tech is kinda outdated and minor things here and there like VFX make it appear like a 90s drama show but like I said it's not a big deal, merely an observation.

Going to try and keep this pace going and tackle the next three seasons. Then dive into all the other extra stuff.