Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 117016 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity-Final EPs/Playlists Revealed
« Reply #3990 on: September 07, 2023, 12:52:50 PM »

TAC:

Favorite - Phantom Spell - "Blood Becomes Sand"
Least Favorite - Horisont - "All Must Come To An End, Part I & II"

I would've picked that as the least fave as well. It's just I really couldn't find anything else for that spot. The song said what I wanted to say, and they have a great vibe. I do like the song a lot though.

Least Favorite - Kip Winger

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Final EP Favorites/Least)
« Reply #3991 on: September 07, 2023, 01:05:45 PM »
I knew you would appreciate that.

Offline Nachtmerrie

Re: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Final EP Favorites/Least)
« Reply #3992 on: September 07, 2023, 01:13:13 PM »
OMG, how have I not seen that before!   :rollin

Edit:  Oh, it's only a month old.  To be frank even though I come here every day I pay basically no attention to DT news.

DT :huh:

Online HOF

« Reply #3993 on: September 07, 2023, 01:25:46 PM »
I was more worried about how some of the Chroma Key tracks would play for you, and I think that Kip Winger track is pretty great, so hopefully this is a positive sign!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3994 on: September 07, 2023, 01:33:43 PM »
ariich:

Favorite - Xanthochroid - "To Lost and Ancient Gardens"

I think that's my favourite Xanthochroid track overall although I do like Of Aching Empty Pain quite a bit too.
I'd wondered if it might be a bit cheesy but now I'm glad I stuck with it. Kind of surprised it's the outright favourite, but not surprised at Xanthochroid being top and Aetherian being bottom which is what I expected!

Least Favorite - AFI - "The Great Disappointment"
Was it a great disappointment? :neverusethis:

However, ‘least favourite’ - VINUSHKA? For shame.

Litho and Ariich underappreciating amazing Dir En Grey tracks

:lol

Fine by me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3995 on: September 07, 2023, 01:35:47 PM »
Least Favourite is no surprise at all  ;D
Favourite though - that's not what I was expecting, as I said when I sent the ep that was the 'throwaway/placeholder in case I think of something better' track!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3996 on: September 07, 2023, 01:42:10 PM »
I'd wondered if it might be a bit cheesy but now I'm glad I stuck with it. Kind of surprised it's the outright favourite, but not surprised at Xanthochroid being top and Aetherian being bottom which is what I expected!

Yeah, I can see how it could be viewed as cheesy (and hence the Disney reference), but I attempted to explain how it comes across more in the writeup.  I will say that it was very close between it and another song though. 

Least Favourite is no surprise at all  ;D
Favourite though - that's not what I was expecting, as I said when I sent the ep that was the 'throwaway/placeholder in case I think of something better' track!

This is part of why I'm not generally onboard the "trim the filler" movement for album lengths.  Sometimes the hits bore me and the B-sides are my favorites. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity-Final EPs/Playlists Revealed
« Reply #3997 on: September 07, 2023, 02:05:04 PM »
Final Round EP Favorites/Least Favorites:[/size]

SoundscapeMN:

Favorite - Kimbra - "Cameo Lover"
Least Favorite - The Family Crest - "Through the Brine"

interesting. I almost removed Kimbra for another artist (or even a different tune from her), for something else. 
I figured you would really like ("Beneath" not "Through") the Brine from The Family Crest, but then again you were only luke warm on The Dear Hunter tunes from the last round, so I suppose it isn't so surprising. For what it is worth, it is often considered their go-to or most appreciated track, but they have other songs that are very different.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3998 on: September 07, 2023, 02:39:41 PM »
Oops, I did a lot of that list from memory, so I must have conflated the title with something else, I think it's correct in my other documents.  Fascinating how many people almost didn't send my favorite songs on their EPs.   :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3999 on: September 07, 2023, 09:20:04 PM »
Hmnnn not surprised you didn't enjoy that Jamie xx track as much as the rest, but surprised the SIAMÉS track ended up so high. Not complaining tho, it's an excellent track. Wished they'd tour again, I missed them last year.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4000 on: September 07, 2023, 09:43:39 PM »
Interesting, I wasn't expecting either of those songs for either most or least favorite. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4001 on: September 08, 2023, 11:00:22 AM »
So has anyone listened to any of the other EPs?  There's a ton of great music not to be missed there which should appeal to more than just me. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4002 on: September 08, 2023, 11:20:05 AM »
So has anyone listened to any of the other EPs?  There's a ton of great music not to be missed there which should appeal to more than just me.

I haven’t yet, but I really should because I definitely want others to check out mine. Maybe I’ll try a few this evening.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4003 on: September 09, 2023, 08:36:24 AM »

Lethean:

Favorite - Leprous - "Distant Bells"
Least Favorite - Fates Warning - "The Light and Shade of Things"

Not my song (or even a roulette I'm part of  ;)) but it makes me a little sad anyway. Love this tune. Litho, what have you heard from Fates Warning?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4004 on: September 09, 2023, 08:46:58 AM »

Lethean:

Not my song (or even a roulette I'm part of  ;)) but it makes me a little sad anyway. Love this tune. Litho, what have you heard from Fates Warning?

yeah, that's a huge favorite of mine and many Fates fans.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4005 on: September 09, 2023, 09:00:55 AM »

Lethean:

Not my song (or even a roulette I'm part of  ;) ) but it makes me a little sad anyway.

That's what makes me sad.   :(

Love this tune. Litho, what have you heard from Fates Warning?

I own No Exit, though I haven't heard it much, and then the scattered song here and there.  Definitely a bit of a blind spot for me.  Note that for some EPs I quite like even the worst songs, but something has to be at the bottom. 

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4006 on: September 09, 2023, 09:25:57 AM »
I've been sent The Light And Shade Of Things from three different people in roulettes (only the first was successful, obviously) and it only did alright for me so I think it's maybe a bit over-appreciated. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4007 on: September 09, 2023, 09:27:54 AM »
Interesting. I considered it for James’ roulette. I have a listen for the first time in years, and it seems to have lost its luster a little.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4008 on: September 09, 2023, 09:34:39 AM »

Not my song (or even a roulette I'm part of  ;) ) but it makes me a little sad anyway.

That's what makes me sad.   :(

Sorry  ;) Next one! (although I imagine you'll need a few years to recuperate, after this marathon  :biggrin:)

Love this tune. Litho, what have you heard from Fates Warning?

I own No Exit, though I haven't heard it much, and then the scattered song here and there.  Definitely a bit of a blind spot for me.  Note that for some EPs I quite like even the worst songs, but something has to be at the bottom.

No Exit is a very "transitional" album, first with Alder and still in-between eras in terms of songwriting. You should give Parallels a serious shot - it's pure melodic bliss with some seriously awesome playing (all of them...guitars, drums and bass)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4009 on: September 09, 2023, 09:41:56 AM »
Yeah, they're definitely a band I want to try and prioritize checking out in the near future.  If all goes well they'll be banned whenever the next roulette rolls around, lol.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4010 on: September 09, 2023, 09:46:52 AM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4011 on: September 09, 2023, 09:48:08 AM »
19th Place

romdrums

Final Cumulative Score:  14.25 (DNF - completed two rounds)

Final Overall Thoughts:

Well, you might not normally be reading this organically, but hopefully you caught my PM, so for my own sense of finality, here are a few brief thoughts.  I wish you'd been able to stay in my roulette longer.  I get the vibe from your submissions in other roulettes before and after mine that you're probably a bit more into djent-adjacent sounds than many on DTF are.  We're both drummers, so maybe that sense of off-kilter rhythmic propulsion has an appeal that not all get.  I imagine you could have had some hits at some point dipping into that, it's hard to say.  But even as it is, though you didn't really have much time to test things out and score well, I still nevertheless hope to dip into both of your submissions more eventually. 

I've long been interested in IQ, as the neo-prog scene is one in which I've been curious about for some of the keyboard-heavy sounds it has produced, and I know IQ is a favorite of other forum stalwarts like lonestar.  So I'm sure I'll dig into an album or more from them later.  And I've already listened to Gogo Penguin's '22 EP, which I enjoyed and found had some of what I liked in the song you sent in round 2, but with less of the not as melodic experimentalism that held it back.  I'll probably listen to other works of theirs later on as well.  So I was glad that you were part of the roulette for the brief time that you were actively participating, and hopefully you'll join again whenever I have my second one. 

---
18th Place

Elite

Final Cumulative Score:  88.5 (DNF - completed 12 rounds)

Final Overall Thoughts:

I suppose things have probably gotten hectic for you in the past month or two, and that's ok.  We all have those periods of life.  If you come back to this thread at some point and want to send me a 20-minute batch of songs from one artist for round 13 and a 45-minute EP for the final round, I'll listen to them later, score and write them up like any other entry, and add them to the final standings. 

But for now, you've certainly given me some music to look further into.  Oranssi Pazuzu might be the most slowly and dramatically rising artist all roulette.  I didn't really like them at all at first, but in the months since then I've found them strangely alluring, and even as recently as the last few weeks I've dipped back into the songs from the round and a few others I've stumbled upon.  I even said at the time that I suspected this could happen, so they and you were kind of robbed score-wise back then.  Avant-garde metal is a total crapshoot for me, which I'll get into even more later in Crow's writeup, but I could see them being one of the more compelling ones to me if I'm able to get further into their overall sound and check out additional albums later on. 

Wilderun is one of the artists I'd been sleeping on the most prior to the roulette, so I'll definitely want to check out more from them later.  I already owned the Ornette Coleman album you sent music from, but had clearly been neglecting it since I'd considered it out of my wheelhouse, but I've slowly warmed to certain avant-garde music over time.  I was glad to get a bit deeper into Jeff Beck's music as well.  Foscor was new to me, and I'll have to check out more from them.  They didn't score quite as well in the roulette, but I imagine there's other music I'd like from Marina Ósk, Gilad Hekselman, and Avishai Cohen too.  I'd already heard something from Cohen before the roulette, and enjoyed his '22 album after round 2, so he's already become a success. 

---
17th Place

Crow - "Avant-Metal Is Like Chicken Soup For the Soul, If the Noodles Were Snakes and the Soup Was Blood"

1:  Ashenspire - "The Law of Asbestos"
2:  Cleric - "The Treme"
3:  Dordeduh - "Pândarul"
4:  A Forest of Stars - "Gatherer of the Pure"
5:  Fleshvessel - "The Void Chamber"

Early Impressions - "This is what happens when the promoters screw up and book the Ringling Brothers and the local death metal act for the same venue at the same time." - "There are elements I like here, but the overall package might be a bit much."

Favorite - Dordeduh - "Pândarul"
Least Favorite - Cleric - "The Treme"

Final Summary:

I can feel these songs very slowly growing on me the more I listen to them, but everything is just a bit too outré for a higher placement at this point.  The moments and elements I like are too few and far between to counter the more frequent discordance that occurs. 

Details:

Ultimately, this is along the lines of what I worried it would be.  Avant-garde metal is one of my least favorite styles of metal, and this leans too heavily into what frustrates me about the style.  There are many building blocks that I like scattered about this set of songs, but they just aren't common enough, and are too often dowsed in excessive noisiness and what feels like experimentation for the sake of experimentation.  I don't mind a bit of it at times, but there's just way too much of it here.  It's pretty random what music of that type will connect with me, and though I've learned over time to be a bit more receptive to it than I used to be, much of this just doesn't quite hit the mark.  Your emporium has more good ideas than the sign would have you believe, though it's missing some of them here. 

Ashenspire's "The Law of Asbestos" definitely has some of the better instrumental work on the EP.  One thing that vexes me in avant-garde metal is that on one hand it seems more commonplace than most other styles of metal to feature less typical instrumentation, which on the surface of things is very appealing.  But on the other, often those instruments are employed in too chaotic of ways for my taste.  In this song, they fare a bit better.  Most prominent are saxophone, violin, and hammered dulcimer, which provides for a much richer textural palette.  Not a whole lot of it particularly sticks with me, but it's mostly pleasant enough to listen to.  The talk-shouting vocal style doesn't really do much for me though. 

Cleric's "The Treme" doesn't comport with me quite as well, and much of what's going on feels too random and dissonant.  It does have a bit better guitar tone though, and sections like 10:46 feel like the start of something more intriguing happening with the heavier riffing, but it just doesn't really feel like it goes anywhere with it.  13:33 is probably my favorite section though - that riff is weird, but actually sounds pretty cool, and I like how it's punctuated with piano stabs in successive repetitions of it. 

Dordeduh's "Pândarul" is probably the most consistently interesting song of the lot, with a rather mysterious atmosphere throughout, punctuated with the hammered dulcimer and various recorders.  The synthesizers in the background give a lot of dimension as well, in addition to the variety of vocal styles.  The section starting at 23:04 is easily the highlight.  This is probably the artist I'm most likely to check out an album from at some point. 

A Forest of Stars' "Gatherer of the Pure" is kind of all over the place.  There are scattered sections and moments I enjoy (especially some of the violin and accordion bits, some of the former melodies being some of my favorite moments of the whole EP), which are occasionally nice in a funhouse mirror version of psychedelic/folk metal sort of way, but the overall feel is just a bit too disjointed and odd for me.  Although I will certainly admit that part of this could be planting seeds that won't blossom until later on, perhaps after the roulette.  As I mentioned in my overall final thoughts regarding Elite's roulette submissions, this has been happening with Oranssi Pazuzu.  Music this dense and unusual can be especially challenging to get into in the context of a roulette, I think. 

Fleshvessel's "The Void Chamber" is largely what one of my impressions was based off of.  There are certainly a fair number of moments I like here, the wet guitars, the viola work, the darbuka, bits of acoustic guitar, and the muted trumpet, but they never seem to last long enough before it's back to circus madness.  I'm kind of surprised that you presumably like the drum production here, those hyper-speed kicks are pretty out-front in the mix, which is especially noticeable given that apparently they're programmed rather than played. 

Score:  19/30

Final Cumulative Score:  6 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.5 + 7 + 5 + 7 + 9.25 + 7.75 + 7 + 8.5 + 7.75 + 6.75 + 19 = 112.25

Final Overall Thoughts:

I suspect the difference in your placement in my roulette vs. my placement in yours is mostly more indicative of a difference in our roulette strategies, but also illuminates some things about our core tastes.  Probably our -core tastes too, actually, lol.  For the most part we seem to be into fairly different music of late - a lot of your central favorites are just not really in my wheelhouse, for now anyway.  But a few are, and aside from a certain portion of the prog and metal canon that probably a decent chunk of the forum likes or might like if they'd heard it, it seems we may have more common in some electronic styles than in other genres.  I'd clearly been overlooking "Dark All Day", for example, the highest scoring song of the entire roulette prior to this round.  Intronaut and East of the Wall are on the proggier side of post-metal, which is a style I clearly need to pay more attention to.  I suspect Shade Empire, Julia Holter, and 10cc have more material I would enjoy.  Beyoncé is a powerhouse vocalist that had been hiding in plain sight, and I'm sure I'll find other songs from her I'll vibe with at some point (probably some Destiny's Child as well I imagine). 

Even if a number of entries you sent didn't really connect with me at all, your submissions in general were easily some of the most unique and impossible to forget.  There is an academic I occasionally follow that would note of most of his colleagues that when they'd present their latest research, his response would be, "eh, maybe", and then he'd forget about their research soon after.  But when one of his other colleagues would discuss his latest research, he'd say "no way!" or "that can't be!", and then he'd think about it for years after.  Your entries are sometimes the equivalent of that. 

Even with probably my least favorite thing you sent, the pAper chAse, realizing that John Congleton produced and contributed to one of my favorite albums, Chelsea Wolfe's Abyss, has made me think about it differently, which made it a worthwhile endeavor just for that.  So whenever my next roulette is, I hope you'll be part of it.  I'm sure it will be challenging and frustrating for both of us at times, but it's useful to have someone push you in directions you otherwise probably wouldn't go.  That's where musical growth often comes from. 

---
16th Place

Sacul - "i just did the laundry, im no longer mentally ill"

1:  Viagra Boys - "Troglodyte"
2:  Viagra Boys - "Punk Rock Loser"
3:  Viagra Boys - "Ain't No Thief"
4:  Viagra Boys - "ADD"
5:  Against All Logic - "This Old House Is All I Have"
6:  Odisea - "Casa Latina"
7:  Odisea - "Cabros"
8:  SIAMÉS - "The Wolf"
9:  Jamie xx - "Girl"
10:  Jamie xx - "Loud Places"
11:  DARKSIDE - "Heart"

Early Impressions - "This is Goldilocks the EP.  One third is too weird, one third is too bland, and the other third is just right." - "One song in particular stands out in unique ways, though the usage of samples makes me curious to hear how different it is from the source(s)."

Favorite - SIAMÉS - "The Wolf"
Least Favorite - Jamie xx - "Girl"

Final Summary:

This set of songs is something of a mixed bag, with the front and closing portions incorporating some vocal elements that didn't work that well for me, but even those sections have their strengths, and the middle batch of songs is quite good. 

Details:

My thoughts on this EP have morphed a bit over time.  To explain the impression, at first I considered the Viagra Boys songs to be too weird and by far my least favorite segment, the Jamie xx and DARKSIDE songs too bland, and the middle segment easily my favorite.  Over time I've grown a bit more accustomed to the Viagra Boys section - there's an oddly charming infectiousness to them that kind of snuck up on me.  I'm still a bit on the fence about them, with a few qualms I'll get into shortly, but they grew on me in a way that the last three songs didn't. 

I guess dance-punk is a fairly unfamiliar style to me, RYM says I haven't even rated anything that has it as a primary genre.  I can hear where some of the various influences are being drawn from, but I haven't really heard it packaged in quite that way very much.  "Troglodyte" (someone needs to get this one to Glasser) has a nice post-punk-esque rhythmic propulsion to it, and "Ain't No Thief" has a really fat pulsating beat to it that is rather thrilling.  The main thing that holds all of them back is that they're just a bit light on memorable melodies, and the vocal styles just don't quite connect with me.  They vary from a kind of talk-sung approach that isn't quite tuneful enough, to pitch-shifted vocals that are always risky for me, to more of a Beastie Boys-esque not quite rapped delivery, none of which are particularly offputting, but just don't hit the mark.  But overall, given their strange name, they were better than I expected and than I thought of them in the first listen.  You can't always judge a band by their name (*coughDestinyPotatocough*).  Apparently they have a saxophone player, though I didn't notice too much in that regard in this batch of tunes. 

Hip-hop and electronic music that prominently use samples always present a dilemma, that sometimes you're unsure how much credit to give to the original songs that they draw from vs. what they do to recombine and expand them in various ways.  In this case, the main guitar groove and some of the vocals in Against All Logic's "This Old House Is All I Have" are heavily taken from Mike James Kirkland's "Doin' It Right", mixed with the beat from his "Love Insurance", and then augmented less obviously with part of David Axelrod's "The Warnings Part II".  I had heard of none of these before, but "Doin' It Right" is quite a snazzy old-school soul tune, so it's heavily piggybacking off the quality of that song.  I do think the crisp hat work from "Love Insurance" does give a nice drive to it, plus the various other audio manipulation that's happening is fairly interesting.  It's my second favorite song of the EP, so I suppose this winds up being a redemption tour for Nicolás Jaar.  There are a number of attempts at that in other EPs as well - it's fascinating to reevaluate other music from artists I heard months earlier. 

Both Odisea tracks are great.  They're fairly straightforward but excellent tunes with enough engaging and quirky instrumentation going on in the background to keep them from feeling too generic, particularly with the horns, piano, and bass lines.  "The Wolf" from SIAMÉS is even better, with a bit heavier beat and better vocals, and is easily my favorite song of the whole EP. 

The last three tracks just didn't grow on me much.  Jamie xx's "Girl" has a nice spacious feeling to it, but it relies way too on those abstract pitch-manipulated vocal samples.  Apparently Erlend Øye of Kings of Convenience was involved with that song.  I love KoC, but maybe his electronic work is spottier.  "Loud Places" is the best of the three, with a more normal vocal delivery, plus the more choral-esque backing vocals, and some tasty percussive elements.  It just didn't stick in my head like I wanted it to.  And then with DARKSIDE's "Heart" we have more Jaar again, though it didn't hit as well.  It's alright, but didn't really move me. 

Score:  22.5/30

Final Cumulative Score:  7.25 + 8.75 + 6 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 6.75 + 8.25 + 9 + 7 + 4.75 + 8 + 8.25 + 6.5 + 22.5 = 118

Final Overall Thoughts:

While Luke might fancy himself as the biggest wildcard of the roulette, and Crow fought valiantly for it, nope, it's you.  Yes, you've previously sent my least favorite music of the whole roulette with dreamcrusher, but you've also sent my favorite of the first thirteen rounds with The Black Queen's "Ice To Never".  Talk Talk's "Living In Another World" was another mega-smash hit (and I'll give you indirect credit for helping me discover the Lights cover of it, which I somehow didn't realize existed).  You've also sent other new music I certainly want to get further into, particularly Mammal Hands.  My interest in Kate Bush's music is piqued even more than it already was.  The Beth Gibbons/Rustin Man track only worked mildly, but you did put that album back on my radar, since I did already like her work with Portishead, and Rustin Man of course is part of Talk Talk, another artist that I'm more interested in now.  You've gotten me to reevaluate Kayo Dot and Converge, and between The Black Queen and Luke sending Better Lovers, I'll have to look more into Greg Puciato's work as well.  I'll probably even wind up finally checking out Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, maybe something on it will resonate more with me. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 09:30:07 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4012 on: September 09, 2023, 09:48:34 AM »
15th Place

Puppies_On_Acid - "Etched Reminiscence Part I: Lost in the Graveyard of Creation"

1:  Arcane - "Promise (Part 2)"
2:  Jeff Buckley - "Grace"
3:  Oceansize - "Trail of Fire"
4:  Matthew Good - "While We Were Hunting Rabbits"
5:  AFI - "The Great Disappointment"
6:  Devil Sold His Soul - "Drowning/Sinking"
7:  Perihelion Ship - "Misplaced Rainfall"

Early Impressions - "This is definitely slickly edited, maybe almost too much?" - "One track has one of the coolest openings I've heard in awhile."

Favorite - Jeff Buckley - "Grace"
Least Favorite - AFI - "The Great Disappointment"

Final Summary:

I really appreciate the effort put into this, and it's a solid first draft, but while I rather like a few of the songs, some of the vocals in others are a bit offputting, some of the transitions feel rushed, and the story doesn't come through quite as strongly as some of the other thematic EPs.  I'm certainly glad to have experienced it though. 

Details:

This was one of the hardest EPs for me to get a handle on.  The artwork is outstanding as I've come to expect from you, and you've clearly put a lot of thought in this.  When I read your commentary before the first listen the story seemed clear enough and intriguing, though it would need a lot more fleshing out (albeit I'm not scoring that part anyway), but you could certainly build a film off of it.  When listening to it the concept is a bit less clear though.  The song titles work for the sections they're connect to, but the overall feel of the songs seems a bit disconnected from the story itself.  I'm not entirely sure how much is the particular songs chosen, how they flow together, or the various edits to get them to fit into a reasonable timeframe. 

Musically, Jeff Buckley's "Grace" is the standout here.  I own this album on CD, due to the glowing reviews I kept hearing about it, but I don't think I made it past the first listen back then.  It's clear now that I've really been sleeping on it.  The editing obscures it a bit, but that clean guitar intro is incredibly cool and the source of the second impression.  It's obvious what a vocal talent Jeff is and why so many revere him.  It's especially impressive since his vocal type is more of the kind that's often riskier for my tastes.  What surprised me even more is the drumming.  I randomly stumbled upon a Drumeo lesson of Matt Johnson's years ago and recall him seeming like a fascinating guy, and his playing here is resplendent.  I especially love during the verses how he's splashing the hi-hat with his left foot every third 8th note in 6/8 while keeping the tom pattern going - you don't hear that done frequently enough. 

I'm getting quite a lot of Jim Grey in this roulette.  Vmad sent Caligula's Horse in the first round, Jim guested on an Evan Carson track from Evermind in the second round, Lethean sent another Caligula's Horse track in his EP, and of course Jim is the voice of Arcane here.  It's a fine enough track, the piano motifs are fairly nice, and he certainly has a distinctive voice, but unfortunately it doesn't particularly move the needle on my opinion of him. 

Oceansize is gradually growing on me.  They seem rather beloved, and I'd heard one album and enjoyed it, but hadn't quite been motivated to go any further with them yet.  "Trail of Fire" is a quite good song though, and edges me a bit more towards wanting to check out more music of theirs.  I'm not sure there was quite enough room to breathe before this song started though.  Matthew Good is another name I've heard off and on throughout the years but never consciously listened to in my recollection.  It's another fairly solid song, and the orchestral timpani is a majestic and somewhat unusual touch.  I gave a listen to the full version as well, and it's unfortunate that you had to hack the ending off, as it really gave epic closure to the song, though it's understandable in that it's not the actual ending of the EP itself. 

Now here is where we get into the rougher part of the EP.  AFI is yet another band I've seen referenced on countless occasions, but never took the time to check out.  Now I see why.  Instrumentally the song is decent enough, I especially dig the active bass lines.  But those vocals...  I just can't do it.  There are way too many bands out there with similar ones, and the higher up in pitch they go, the more they nettle me.  And then with Devil Sold His Soul, the music gets cooler - I love the heavier guitars and some of the clean atmospheric passages, that's right up my alley.  But again, the vocals...  Sorry, I just can't get into that whinier clean vocal style.  There are occasional exceptions that are more or less vaguely similar (say Chester Bennington or Daniel Tompkins), but the ones here just don't work at all for me and really bring it down.  The more choral group vocals towards the end are more tolerable, but it's just not quite enough to save it.  The harsh ones aren't really to my taste either, but I can deal with them more than the cleans. 

Perihelion Ship I'm thinking might have gotten the shortest end of the stick.  I don't think I'd really heard them before, but my understanding is that they're rather Opeth-influenced, which on paper I should like, though often many of those bands just don't have the execution down.  Their sound seems reasonable enough, with a Opeth-lite sound (which still seems like it has a lot of potential), though with less flavorful vocals than Åkerfeldt and less overall finesse, but some splendid organ work.  There are way too many songs this round to do a detailed comparison between them, but hacking over three minutes off of the song I'm suspecting dilutes the impact of it.  They seem mostly chopped off of the beginning and ending, but I don't know if there was more taken out.  I'm still curious about pursuing them further, but this might be a consequence of really needing more time for the EP to fully flesh it out.  Also, the sudden transition from Devil Sold His Soul to them was a bit jarring. 

I do admire a good story about the annihilation of the planet though.  I'm just hoping part of the "particular set of skills" (are we casting de-aged Liam Neeson in this film?) Jim has is the ability to build a spacecraft, or he's toast. 

Score:  22/30

Final Cumulative Score:  8 + 7 + 6.75 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.75 + 7 + 7.5 + 8 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.5 + 8.5 + 22 = 119.5

Final Overall Thoughts:

It seems like we probably have more overlap in artists we already both know than your ranking would make it appear, but you nevertheless managed to pull out a variety of enticing artists I'll have to explore more from.  I'd heard a bit from Enslaved, The Cult, and Ne Obliviscaris beforehand, but will have to look into more of their work.  Knight Area, Ché Aimee Dorval, Kardashev, Slushii, Sieges Even, and Shylmagoghnar were less familiar to me, but will certainly need to become more familiar to me over time. 

---
14th Place

twosuitsluke - "It's hard for someone to get lost here, Harder still to get found"

1:  Frank Turner - "Eulogy"
2:  Frank Turner - "Rivers"
3:  Frank Turner - "If Ever I Stray"
4:  The King Blues - "The Schemers, The Scroungers, and the Rats"
5:  The King Blues - "Let's Hang the Landlord"
6:  The Skints - "Contemplations of the Modern Rudeboy"
7:  King Prawn - "Crackhead"
8:  The Skints - "Live East Die Young"
9:  The King Blues - "Underneath This Lamppost Light"
10:  The King Blues - "Everything Happens For a Reason"
11:  Frank Turner - "Farewell To My City"

Early Impressions - "There is a style that was hinted at here but never really appeared, but in retrospect it probably wasn't necessary anyway." - "This has a surprisingly cinematic feel, like moving through different scenes meeting various characters in a variety of settings."

Favorite - The Skints - "Live East Die Young"
Least Favorite - The King Blues - "Underneath This Lamppost Light"

Final Summary:

This has a surprising variety of different sounds and moods that convey the theme quite well.  Not all of the music is what I'd normally go for, but it rounds out the various flavors here, and "Least East Die Young" is the most serendipitous song. 

Details:

Well, this EP really does take you on a journey.  From the opening horn refrain of Frank Turner's "Eulogy", you really do get a sense of the theme.  Even relistening to it as I proof-roof, the arrangement gives me warm and fuzzy feelings, and I've never even been to England.  There's an unexpectedly large variety of sounds that encompass this EP, though as the impression hints at, I was sort of wondering if it was ever going to go full-bore punk at some point, but it never quite gets there.  I was curious if at some point it was going to turn into an English version of the Dropkick Murphys or something like that, though I suppose it gets close at a few points.  But I don't think it was needed regardless. 

It's fascinating how you always hear about people's accents disappearing when singing, and I don't know how much of that is sometimes an intentional Americanizing of their voices, or a globalizing/internationalizing of them, but here it seems most of them keep or even overemphasize them.  It works wonderfully for conveying different characters and settings, though some of them seem so specific and more jargon-heavy that I'd have to be in more particular moods to explore them more outside of the context of this EP.  Frank Turner is probably the one that seems like he could be the most consistently listenable.  He has the most "normal" and versatile voice of the lot.  "Rivers" in particular is an excellent song, I especially love the mandolin and the violin break in the middle. 

The King Blues songs are a bit more idiosyncratic.  "The Schemers, The Scroungers, and the Rats" is quite a unique stylistic mixture.  The bones of it has a country/bluegrass vibe to it with the strumming, root/5th bass note style, and the banjo picking, which feels strange coming from you.  But then it also has a pub sing-a-long feel to it in the choruses (and the organ adds some nice texture to it), which it also shares with "Let's Hang the Landlord", which also has more violin.  I suppose the latter song and moments of "Everything Happens For a Reason" are the closest things get to full-on punk, though they still feel a bit subdued. 

That type of sing-along in "The Schemers" and "Let's Hang" (or a lot of their sort of talk-singing style of vocals) isn't really the sort of thing I normally go for stylistically, but it works well for fleshing out the journey here.  3:24 with the ukulele and lo-fi vocals in "Let's Hang" is a nice contrast as well.  "Underneath the Lamppost Light" is supposed to be the more tender side of the band, although I couldn't help almost cracking up at the "I know it smells of piss but, you look beautiful tonight" line.  It's a nice enough song, but it sounds like a Fat Mike pick-up line, lol.  "Everything Happens For a Reason" is my favorite of The King Blues tracks. 

The middle section is my favorite of the entire EP though.  The Skints' "Contemplations of the Modern Rudeboy" and even more so King Prawn's "Crackhead" are quite fun songs.  You mentioned that King Prawn doesn't really fit story-wise, but it absolutely works in feeling like a vignette with the short appearance of a new over-the-top character in the story.  This whole section brings me back to all the third wave ska I was listening to in the late 90s - there are some great horn lines and bass parts there, and scrumptious drum timbres and fills.  They transition quite well together too.  The biggest surprise of the EP was "Live East Die Young" though.  I'll talk even more about this in Vmad's writeup, but we're now into full-blown reggae territory here, which is a style I love but hasn't appeared in the roulette until this round.  I've mostly ignored modern versions of it, so it's opened my eyes to the realization that I should look into that scene more.  It's by far the best song of the EP, and one of the best songs of the whole round.  I'll certainly have to investigate more of their work. 

It's also amusing that I mentioned Dizzee Rascal in one of our PMs tangential to these styles, and it turns out that The King Blues has covered him.  Small world, apparently. 

Score:  23.75/30

Final Cumulative Score:  7.5 + 8.25 + 5.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7 + 7.75 + 7 + 7.25 + 7 + 6.75 + 8.5 + 7.5 + 23.75 = 119.5

Final Overall Thoughts:

"So here it is, the ending.  The one that neither of us ever thought was coming..."  While our core music tastes seem to clash a bit, particularly when you go for more of the Crow strategy of just sending some of your pet favorites regardless of how you think they might fit into my own tastes, I think that works endlessly well for overall entertainment value, and to make me check things out I'd probably otherwise ignore, which occasionally results in gems.  King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard is just the gift that keeps on giving, and giving, and giving, and giving...  I'll certainly be at least digging a bit into that playlist of theirs you curated.  While they're probably overall not my sort of thing, they have so much music and such a variety of it that something is bound to hit.  And touché on your 5D chess move of getting Nachtmerrie into them a bit, that's already resulted in me checking out the best song of theirs I've heard so far with "Dragon". 

You've also gotten me to reevaluate music like Seatbelts, The Ocean, Crippled Black Phoenix, Drewsif Stalin's Musical Endeavors, and especially The Carpenters (probably my second favorite vocals of the whole roulette).  Or artists I hadn't heard much material from like Chthonic and Better Lovers.  Even music that didn't score as well like nofx I consider to have filled a gap in my musical education and I feel like a more complete person for having properly experienced it. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 09:31:07 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Final Round Results Pt. 1!)
« Reply #4013 on: September 09, 2023, 10:22:32 AM »
 :corn :corn :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Final Round Results Pt. 1!)
« Reply #4014 on: September 09, 2023, 10:39:48 AM »
Nice, I definitely took a chance with Viagra Boys and the final tracks. I personally love everything I sent ofc, but didn't expect you to really like the Against All Logic tune that much - that album is quite nice and the use of samples is excellent. Glad you enjoyed Odisea, another great record. SIAMÉS have a few other amazing tracks, and I think they just released a second album, which I'll check out soon.

The Black Queen has 2 records so far, and while I prefer the first one by far, the other has a few gems, hope you dig that project, and the other stuff I sent.

Thanks for having me! It was quite a lot of fun throughout the year ;D

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4015 on: September 09, 2023, 10:44:01 AM »
So I wasn't too concerned with my final score, but was secretly hoping for a massive come from behind podium finish. However, I will say this was the first EP I've put together where I 100% made sure the lyrics supported the story I was trying to tell. I did take a few liberties by adding the story intro, since none of that was referenced in the songs, but think of it more like the prologue. In hindsight I would have dropped The Great Disappointment entirely and fixed the other transitions and let the rest of the songs shine a bit more.

Anyhow, I intentionally titled it part 1 because I have more to tell in the story and I'm working on adding to the story in 425's EP round.

Overall this has been a fun roulette and I look forward to your next one. Thanks for having me!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4016 on: September 09, 2023, 10:59:18 AM »
The Black Queen has 2 records so far, and while I prefer the first one by far, the other has a few gems, hope you dig that project

I already listened to both of them after that round, and liked them, though nothing popped out quite like "Ice To Never".  I did make note that "No Accusations" and "Spatial Boundaries" seemed more promising though.  Hopefully at some point I'll give additional plays to those albums and see if anything else is salient, and have post-roulette updates for them if so. 

However, I will say this was the first EP I've put together where I 100% made sure the lyrics supported the story I was trying to tell. I did take a few liberties by adding the story intro, since none of that was referenced in the songs, but think of it more like the prologue. In hindsight I would have dropped The Great Disappointment entirely and fixed the other transitions and let the rest of the songs shine a bit more.

Yeah, that would have definitely helped a fair amount.  And unfortunately I'm the wrong person for lyrics/story, though it was fun reading everything anyway.  Hopefully some other people will check it out though. 

Anyhow, I intentionally titled it part 1 because I have more to tell in the story and I'm working on adding to the story in 425's EP round.

You're gonna have plenty of time to work on that one.  :neverusethis:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4017 on: September 09, 2023, 11:56:46 AM »
sounds about right :lol

i absolutely killed it this round, in the sense that i think my weird picks might've killed litho. that's why it's called a murder of crows, eh? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4018 on: September 09, 2023, 11:59:39 AM »

Lethean:

yeah, that's a huge favorite of mine and many Fates fans.

It kinda makes me sad too...? But... Maybe he thinks it's totally awesome and he just likes all the other songs even more!  (I can dream.)

BTW, Caligula's Horse played the song I sent you Litho and it was awesome.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4019 on: September 09, 2023, 12:00:24 PM »
sounds about right :lol

i absolutely killed it this round, in the sense that i think my weird picks might've killed litho. that's why it's called a murder of crows, eh? :lol

I found photographic evidence of the murder weapon with your new alter-ego from ariich's roulette. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4020 on: September 09, 2023, 12:08:34 PM »
But... Maybe he thinks it's totally awesome and he just likes all the other songs even more!  (I can dream.)

:corn

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4021 on: September 09, 2023, 01:22:52 PM »
Was hoping to place a little higher but I’ll take it. Glad you liked some of these songs. I’d say definitely check out the following albums…

Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones
King Prawn - Surrender to the Blender
The Skints - Live. Breathe. Build. Believe and Part & Parcel.

Kinda surprised you liked Live East Die Young the most, but they’re all banging songs so I guess it’s not that surprising.

Thanks for having me in this monster debut roulette. I guess I never came back from Han-Tyumi, but I regret nothing. When’s the second roulette coming then?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4022 on: September 09, 2023, 06:14:49 PM »

You should have plenty of time to work it out.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4023 on: September 09, 2023, 08:03:09 PM »
The Black Queen has 2 records so far, and while I prefer the first one by far, the other has a few gems, hope you dig that project

I already listened to both of them after that round, and liked them, though nothing popped out quite like "Ice To Never".  I did make note that "No Accusations" and "Spatial Boundaries" seemed more promising though.  Hopefully at some point I'll give additional plays to those albums and see if anything else is salient, and have post-roulette updates for them if so. 
Oh they're definitely growers in my experience, give them some time.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4024 on: September 09, 2023, 08:35:39 PM »
Kinda surprised you liked Live East Die Young the most.

At the risk of spoiling upcoming results, I'll just tease that it will make more sense fairly soon. 

When’s the second roulette coming then?

I have some thoughts on this and a few other things, but I want to wait until I've posted all the results first and let them soak in.