Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 119751 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Final EP Impressions)
« Reply #3570 on: August 24, 2023, 11:13:48 AM »
I think 29 describes mine well.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3571 on: August 24, 2023, 11:15:45 AM »
11 or 16?

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #3572 on: August 24, 2023, 12:32:01 PM »
25? but honestly I feel like a lot of the numbers could be a fit

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3573 on: August 24, 2023, 01:38:11 PM »
Ok second attempt on the first batch.

10:  This is still lacking melodically in spots, but there's more in other sections, and enough cool stuff going on that it might work. 

13:  This makes me want to make a kind of music that I don't think exists. 

16:  This dances around the edges of the sounds I like, and that's probably good enough. 

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3574 on: August 24, 2023, 03:43:46 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3575 on: August 24, 2023, 03:49:16 PM »
Congrats Ariich!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3577 on: August 24, 2023, 03:50:59 PM »
Well, I have Stadler's EP now.  Two songs on it are banned, so I'm not counting them towards the score, but they kind of hold the theme together, so I'll leave them in hangman and the tracklist for fun and listen to them with the rest for flavor anyway.  And I'll pre-solve his impressions and add them to the end.  You'll find out his EP title when I post part 1 of hangman in the near future. 

Round 14 Early Impressions:

1:  This has one of the best Christmas songs I've ever heard. 

2:  Crow - This is what happens when the promoters screw up and book the Ringling Brothers and the local death metal act for the same venue at the same time. 

3:  Lethean - O I C what U did there. 

4:  Sacul - This is Goldilox the EP.  One third is too weird, one third is too bland, and the other third is just right. 

5:  Puppies_On_Acid - This is definitely slickly edited, maybe almost too much?

6:  Wow, this is a treat.  It's a version of a genre I love, but haven't received all roulette. 

7:  This might be the best batch of songs, but with the least comprehensible flow. 

8:  There is a style that was hinted at here but never really appeared, but in retrospect it probably wasn't necessary anyway. 

9:  Am I in an early 2010s Apple commercial? 

10:  This is still lacking melodically in spots, but there's more in other sections, and enough cool stuff going on that it might work. 

11:  Buddyhunter1 - I'm surprised at how well you can feel the storytelling here, even in the instrumental portions. 

12:  Tomislav95 - I think I'm unlikely to love this style as a whole, but this is a better selection of songs in it than I was expecting. 

13:  This makes me want to make a kind of music that I don't think exists. 

14:  Much of this is adjacent to the type of music I've been getting into the most in the past few years. 

15:  TAC - Getting the right vibe with this approach is a tricky endeavor, but this does better than I worried it might. 

16:  ariich - This dances around the edges of the sounds I like, and that's probably good enough. 

17:  Sacul - One song in particular stands out in unique ways, though the useage of samples makes me curious to hear how different it is from the source(s). 

18:  Buddyhunter1 - This 80s virtual reality dating app is so realistic!

19:  Crow - There are elements I like here, but the overall package might be a bit much. 

20:  ariich - One song sounds like part of a holy grail long lost Disney musical that there have only been whispers regarding. 

21:  Here we have more bands and songs that I probably should know well enough to ban, but I don't. 

22:  Lethean - It feels like this ends rather abruptly, which is a little frustrating, but the journey was epic enough otherwise that I can only complain so much. 

23:  This has some really tasty and crisp drumming. 

24:  HOF - I love the stylistic textures of much of these songs, the question is going to be if the melodies and vocalists stand out. 

25:  Nachtmerrie - A lot of this is in a style or two of music adjacent to one I love, but which I tend to neglect exploring, so this is useful as a foothold to look into these artists further. 

26:  twosuitsluke - This has a surprisingly cinematic feel, like moving through different scenes meeting various characters in a variety of settings. 

27:  soupytwist - I'm not sure these styles normally live in the same area of town, but your theme makes it work well enough, I suppose. 

28:  SoundscapeMN - This has some of the most fascinating instrumental parts of the round, though some of the vocals are kind of odd. 

29:  senecadawg2 - The "ending" came out of nowhere, though I mind it less than I thought I would. 

30:  One track has one of the coolest openings I've heard in awhile. 

31:  Tomislav95 - The nice thing about my rating philosophy in general for this is that a couple good songs are more likely to pull the rating up a bit than a couple weaker songs are to drag it down. 

32:  TAC - I probably complain an uncomfortable amount about the keys songs are in, but possibly the best song is in one of my least favorite keys, which is the sign of a really good song. 

33:  Stadler - Even your initial tracklist submission was (unintentionally?) in character. 

34:  Stadler - This is a slightly different side of a number of artists than I'm used to hearing from them. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 07:50:55 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3579 on: August 24, 2023, 03:53:31 PM »
34:  Stadler - This is a slightly different side of a number of artists than I'm used to hearing from them. 
I mean, this is like Stadler's MO really.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3581 on: August 24, 2023, 03:53:56 PM »

:lol

True!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3582 on: August 24, 2023, 03:55:22 PM »

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.  There are certainly some cases where he seems to intentionally do that, and others where it's exactly what I'd have expected based on my prior knowledge of the artist. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3583 on: August 24, 2023, 03:55:34 PM »
14 or 15 maybe

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3584 on: August 24, 2023, 03:56:51 PM »

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.  There are certainly some cases where he seems to intentionally do that, and others where it's exactly what I'd have expected based on my prior knowledge of the artist.

Yeah... it's in your sig.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3585 on: August 24, 2023, 03:58:28 PM »
I'd say 21...

This is meant for another EP, but it does also apply to yours, yes. 

14 or 15 maybe

15 is already solved.  It is not 14. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3586 on: August 24, 2023, 04:02:04 PM »
Is 21 mine?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3587 on: August 24, 2023, 04:03:41 PM »
Nope, I've heard relatively little from your artists.  Heard of almost all of them beforehand, certainly. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3588 on: August 24, 2023, 04:05:48 PM »
14 or 15 maybe

15 is already solved.
It doesn't look like so :P

Hmnnnn maybe 8? It can't be 10 though, there's lots of melody on every song ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3589 on: August 24, 2023, 04:23:44 PM »
Oh, oops, I had updated it in the one at the top of the page, but forgot to do so in the text file I pasted the latest one from I guess. 

It is neither 8 nor 10. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3590 on: August 24, 2023, 05:28:36 PM »
4 or 7...?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3591 on: August 24, 2023, 06:05:58 PM »
11 13 or 14?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3592 on: August 24, 2023, 07:53:22 PM »
Updated. 

I'll catch other stray guesses between now and sometime earlier tomorrow, fill them out then, and then I think we can get song hangman rolling tomorrow night. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3593 on: August 24, 2023, 08:23:57 PM »
While I think my EP is 100% "just right", I'm not sure I get the weird part, but we shall see :P

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3594 on: August 24, 2023, 08:27:15 PM »
Niiice, I was hoping for that one.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3595 on: August 24, 2023, 09:59:16 PM »
7? :lol

And maybe 21.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3596 on: August 25, 2023, 09:13:43 AM »
Here are the impressions filled out.  I'll start up part 1 of song hangman later today. 

1:  SoundscapeMN - This has one of the best "Christmas songs" I've ever heard. 

2:  Crow - This is what happens when the promoters screw up and book the Ringling Brothers and the local death metal act for the same venue at the same time. 

3:  Lethean - O I C what U did there. 

4:  Sacul - This is Goldilox the EP.  One third is too weird, one third is too bland, and the other third is just right. 

5:  Puppies_On_Acid - This is definitely slickly edited, maybe almost too much?

6:  Vmadera00 - Wow, this is a treat.  It's a version of a genre I love, but haven't received all roulette. 

7:  Evermind - This might be the best batch of songs, but with the least comprehensible flow. 

8:  twosuitsluke - There is a style that was hinted at here but never really appeared, but in retrospect it probably wasn't necessary anyway. 

9:  soupytwist - Am I in an early 2010s Apple commercial? 

10:  Nachtmerrie - This is still lacking melodically in spots, but there's more in other sections, and enough cool stuff going on that it might work. 

11:  Buddyhunter1 - I'm surprised at how well you can feel the storytelling here, even in the instrumental portions. 

12:  Tomislav95 - I think I'm unlikely to love this style as a whole, but this is a better selection of songs in it than I was expecting. 

13:  HOF - This makes me want to make a kind of music that I don't think exists. 

14:  senecadawg2 - Much of this is adjacent to the type of music I've been getting into the most in the past few years. 

15:  TAC - Getting the right vibe with this approach is a tricky endeavor, but this does better than I worried it might. 

16:  ariich - This dances around the edges of the sounds I like, and that's probably good enough. 

17:  Sacul - One song in particular stands out in unique ways, though the useage of samples makes me curious to hear how different it is from the source(s). 

18:  Buddyhunter1 - This 80s virtual reality dating app is so realistic!

19:  Crow - There are elements I like here, but the overall package might be a bit much. 

20:  ariich - One song sounds like part of a holy grail long lost Disney musical that there have only been whispers regarding. 

21:  Evermind - Here we have more bands and songs that I probably should know well enough to ban, but I don't. 

22:  Lethean - It feels like this ends rather abruptly, which is a little frustrating, but the journey was epic enough otherwise that I can only complain so much. 

23:  Vmadera00 - This has some really tasty and crisp drumming. 

24:  HOF - I love the stylistic textures of much of these songs, the question is going to be if the melodies and vocalists stand out. 

25:  Nachtmerrie - A lot of this is in a style or two of music adjacent to one I love, but which I tend to neglect exploring, so this is useful as a foothold to look into these artists further. 

26:  twosuitsluke - This has a surprisingly cinematic feel, like moving through different scenes meeting various characters in a variety of settings. 

27:  soupytwist - I'm not sure these styles normally live in the same area of town, but your theme makes it work well enough, I suppose. 

28:  SoundscapeMN - This has some of the most fascinating instrumental parts of the round, though some of the vocals are kind of odd. 

29:  senecadawg2 - The "ending" came out of nowhere, though I mind it less than I thought I would. 

30:  Puppies_On_Acid - One track has one of the coolest openings I've heard in awhile. 

31:  Tomislav95 - The nice thing about my rating philosophy in general for this is that a couple good songs are more likely to pull the rating up a bit than a couple weaker songs are to drag it down. 

32:  TAC - I probably complain an uncomfortable amount about the keys songs are in, but possibly the best song is in one of my least favorite keys, which is the sign of a really good song. 

33:  Stadler - Even your initial tracklist submission was (unintentionally?) in character. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 09:20:26 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3597 on: August 25, 2023, 09:16:43 AM »
I hope the flow grows on you a bit. :lol I did try for it to make sense.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3598 on: August 25, 2023, 11:01:12 AM »

1:  SoundscapeMN - This has one of the best "Christmas songs" I've ever heard. 

I follow 28, but 1? I'm not sure I associate of any of the songs on my EP with Christmas, but maybe I need to re-read some of the lyrics?

Offline HOF

« Reply #3599 on: August 25, 2023, 11:05:22 AM »
Oh, I didn't even realize there were two impressions per person.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3600 on: August 25, 2023, 11:07:10 AM »
It's not about the lyrics, it's the sound, primarily in the chorus of one of them.  I'll explain it in the writeup anyway if it hasn't hit you by then. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3601 on: August 25, 2023, 11:11:13 AM »

I received EPs from over a dozen more people for the final round to steal ariich's record for most participants in a roulette.  :p

Offline HOF

« Reply #3602 on: August 25, 2023, 11:14:44 AM »

I received EPs from over a dozen more people for the final round to steal ariich's record for most participants in a roulette.  :p

Heh, I didn't even count, just figured we have a ton of people in this roulette, but was probably confusing it with ariich's.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3603 on: August 25, 2023, 11:18:43 AM »
If I had 34 participants I think my writeups would need to be TAC-sized.   :biggrin:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3604 on: August 25, 2023, 11:35:29 AM »
If I had 34 participants I think my writeups would need to be TAC-sized.   :biggrin:
Scar sized.
10/10 Great EP!

:biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar