Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 119066 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That is amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
And I was so anxious to actually keep my promise and send on Sunday :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Well, the earlier people sent, the earlier I've been able to listen and start allowing them to soak in, which might yield an advantage theoretically.  :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Well, the earlier people sent, the earlier I've been able to listen and start allowing them to soak in, which might yield an advantage theoretically.  :)
this is where my comeback begins

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train

I sent mine months ago, but I don't think that advantage will mean much. :neverusethis:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Sent an incredible EP that might get me from 17th to 16th  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

..of August?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

..of August?
It’s so good it’ll keep me going until Litho wrap ups the roulette in 2024!

Online twosuitsluke

I can’t stop listening to my EP! I’ve never done one I’m so proud of. I just sent it to my brother (who I share barely any musical taste with) as the theme will kinda appeal to him. Might post his reactions  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I've listened to mine a few times too, definitely one of my favourites. Didn't write such a detailed story as I did in Puppies' roulette though (but that one had a lot of points on offer for story so it was worth it) :lol But I think it works great. I'll post it here after hangman.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

I had tunes I thought of after sending mine I wish I had included, but I kind of ran into; how can I include that 1 if I would have to remove something else?
Always seems to be the case..would could shoulda. I guess maybe those will have to be saved for the next Roulette, lol (if there is 1, haha).

Also, I wonder if the Hangman's are going to be in a Super Small Font, or if Litho will have to make multiple Hangman posts to include 18 EPs with 45 mins of music which could 5-10+ tracks a piece. 180 or more Songs?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Also, I wonder if the Hangman's are going to be in a Super Small Font, or if Litho will have to make multiple Hangman posts to include 18 EPs with 45 mins of music which could 5-10+ tracks a piece. 180 or more Songs?
My recent roulette had 23 EPs and a total of 150 tracks. I started with a simple one for EP titles (starting here), and then did the songs in 3 batches (starting here). Good times.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
My EP is not my favourite, but to be fair I spent all my inspiration on Ariich's EP.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
And to be fair it was one of the best I received, Crow just did enough to hold you off.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
You should have rankings from me today. I still think Crow's playlist is a bit better, but that's mostly because of the 3 or 4 worst songs on this one. If you took those out they'd be about the same, for my tastes.

Edit: Sent!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 01:05:48 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i slapped together my EP in this roulette in a few minutes tbh but it's still pretty cool because i like a lotta good music

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Ironing out final issues on people's EPs, so we're getting pretty close on those. 

I'm gonna throw up (no, not that kind you reptiles) part 1 of the minigame rankings in a bit.  If anyone else still wants to send rankings I'll keep it open and adjusting tallies will be quite easy, those aren't really set in stone like normal rankings anyway. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Ok, so here is part 1 of the minigame rankings:

The participants were ariich, Buddyhunter1, Crow, Puppies_On_Acid, Sacul, SoundscapeMN, TAC, and twosuitsluke. 

---

18th Place

Joan Baez - "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You"

Submitted by Stadler

ariich - 15th
Buddyhunter1 - 18th
Crow - 17th
Puppies_On_Acid - 18th
Sacul - 9th
SoundscapeMN - 12th
TAC - 12th
twosuitsluke - 18th

Sum - 119

Her version of this song is partially responsible for the formation of Led Zeppelin, but I guess it's not quite as inspirational for everyone in the roulette.  I get it, it's old, and it's quite bare, so it kind of either works for you or doesn't.  It also might show the stylistic preferences of the people who participated in the minigame, I imagine a few of the ones who didn't might have scored it slightly higher.  Oh well. 

---

17th Place

Ornette Coleman - "Congeniality"

Submitted by Elite

ariich - 16th
Buddyhunter1 - 16th
Crow - 12th
Puppies_On_Acid - 15th
Sacul - 10th
SoundscapeMN - 17th
TAC - 7th
twosuitsluke - 16th

Sum - 109

Not really a surprise either.  Old-school jazz isn't DTF's thing, even with a hint of avant-garde flair. 

---

16th Place

Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - "Skuggsjá"

Submitted by Lethean

ariich - 6th
Buddyhunter1 - 12th
Crow - 5th
Puppies_On_Acid - 13th
Sacul - 13th
SoundscapeMN - 16th
TAC - 16th
twosuitsluke - 10th

Sum - 91

Another hard sell with the slowly-developing droniness of it.  If the atmosphere doesn't mesmerize you, you're probably out on it. 

---

15th Place

Katzenjammer - "Demon Kitty Rag"

Submitted by soupytwist

ariich - 4th
Buddyhunter1 - 17th
Crow - 16th
Puppies_On_Acid - 8th
Sacul - 4th
SoundscapeMN - 15th
TAC - 9th
twosuitsluke - 17th

Sum - 90

Close call here.  I suspected this might be a bit much for some, and even two 4th place votes didn't quite save it.  Another of my kinds of fun that definitely isn't quite up everyone's alley. 

---

14th Place

Carpenters - "Superstar"

Submitted by twosuitsluke

ariich - 18th
Buddyhunter1 - 15th
Crow - 9th
Puppies_On_Acid - 16th
Sacul - 12th
SoundscapeMN - 6th
TAC - 10th
twosuitsluke - 3rd

Sum - 89

The last three are all tightly packed and could have easily been in a different order if someone had voted ever so slightly differently.  More older music, which might seem too middle-of-the-road for some, particularly if you aren't enthralled with her voice like Luke and I are.  And if Luke hadn't participated it probably would have fared worse.  Quite a spread of scores here too. 

---

13th Place

The Black Queen - "Ice to Never"

Submitted by Sacul

ariich - 13th
Buddyhunter1 - 7th
Crow - 11th
Puppies_On_Acid - 11th
Sacul - 2nd
SoundscapeMN - 13th
TAC - 13th
twosuitsluke - 15th

Sum - 85

So it doesn't have quite my personal highest score of the roulette, but this might be my favorite song of the whole thing, as I continue to play this a lot.  It's a really fascinating blend of electronics and soulfulness - Greg says he was heavily inspired by Jodeci, who I'll have to look more into.  But neither of those elements are DTF's forte, even with a few of the participants being more amenable to electronic music than most here, so I'm not shocked at the ranking. 

---

12th Place

Blanck Mass - "Death Drop"

Submitted by Buddyhunter1

ariich - 3rd
Buddyhunter1 - 1st
Crow - 7th
Puppies_On_Acid - 17th
Sacul - 3rd
SoundscapeMN - 18th
TAC - 18th
twosuitsluke - 14th

Sum - 81

Wow, probably the most polarizing song here.  It seems to heavily split by age.  I'm kind of surprised it didn't score a lot lower, actually, electro-industrial is not a style I'd expect DTF to latch onto. 

---

11th Place (tie)

Circus of Fools - "Eris (To the Fairest One)

Submitted by TAC

ariich - 9th
Buddyhunter1 - 14th
Crow - 15th
Puppies_On_Acid - 12th
Sacul - 15th
SoundscapeMN - 5th
TAC - 1st
twosuitsluke - 9th

Sum - 80

Definitely one of my top songs of the whole roulette, it seems almost custom-made in a lab for one of the niches of my taste, so I'm not surprised it wasn't quite a top scorer, though it didn't do too poorly after all. 

---

11th Place (tie)

Loreena McKennitt - "The Bonny Swans"

Submitted by senecadawg2

ariich - 7th
Buddyhunter1 - 13th
Crow - 18th
Puppies_On_Acid - 5th
Sacul - 11th
SoundscapeMN - 7th
TAC - 8th
twosuitsluke - 11th

Sum - 80

Yeah, apparently swans and crows don't get along, territorial things they are.  This isn't a sound I'd expect DTF to go for, so this isn't such a bad placement.  And it's reignited a mostly dormant interest in Celtic music in me this year. 

---

9th Place

Pepe Deluxé - "A Night and a Day"

Submitted by SoundscapeMN

ariich - 11th
Buddyhunter1 - 11th
Crow - 13th
Puppies_On_Acid - 14th
Sacul - 8th
SoundscapeMN - 1st
TAC - 14th
twosuitsluke - 6th

Sum - 78

I had no idea how this would do, it's kind of an unfamiliar sound for me.  Right in the middle, it turns out, the barometer that all other rankings are judged by. 

---

Part 2 of the minigame ranking results will come tomorrow. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
It occurs to me that I should have split it at 10, since there are 18 of these.  Oh well, it was a sneak peek.   :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
yeah never been a big Swans fan, just don't get that band  :lol

have all of my top 4 but i'm fascinated the yaatri song is still here, interesting  :corn
also shouldn't it be a tie for 10th, not 11th?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I suppose it's a glass half-empty/half-full thing - it depends on if you're drinking or pouring.  In my case I was counting down, so it's 11th.  But sure, you could say they're tied for 10th too. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I'll take 12th with this crowd. :lol I like how the two highest rankers for that song besides myself are the two people I've won the roulettes of. :biggrin: :heart
...though they also both ranked Demon Kitty Rag just underneath it, so that leaves some questions about their taste.

Some other random thoughts about songs:

Skuggsjá

Cool atmosphere but it just doesn't go much of anywhere, compositionally. Also I thought you disliked spoken word. ;)

Superstar

The verses here are quite nice but that chorus just annoys me.

Ice to Never

I'm surprised I ranked this the second-highest out of everyone since I think it's just okay. :lol The production is great but songwriting-wise it leaves a bit to be desired.

Eris (To the Fairest One)

This isn't terrible but if the whole beauty-and-the-beast vocal duo, generic metal riffs sound is custom-tailored to your tastes, that explains a lot of my scores this roulette. :lol

The Bonny Swans

HEE HEE HO AND ME BONNY OH

I actually really like the instrumentation on this one but it does wear on my patience a bit. :lol

A Night and a Day

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 07:54:56 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Skuggsjá...Also I thought you disliked spoken word. ;)

Apparently it's not as much a problem when it's not in English.   :lol   Hypno5e didn't fare too poorly either with the Spanish?/French?  And I like the timbre of his voice, which helps. 

Superstar

The verses here are quite nice but that chorus just annoys me.

Is it the love song nature of it or the repetition of "baby"?  Sometimes it's an advantage not caring as much about lyrics, but I can see how it could be a bit annoying if you're not used to it. 

Ice to Never...songwriting-wise it leaves a bit to be desired.

Yeah, we definitely have different thoughts about songwriting.   :D

Eris (To the Fairest One)

This isn't terrible but if the whole beauty-and-the-best vocal duo, generic metal riffs sound is custom-tailored to your tastes, that explains a lot of my scores this roulette. :lol

Executed at that high a level it certainly is.  The heavy guitar sound is nearly the best in the roulette (Rannoch is even better) even if the riffs themselves aren't the most imaginative, the electric viola work, and it reminds me a lot of Deadlock, which I sent in ariich's roulette and is one of my top 20 bands or so. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Mostly the baby baby baby baby for the Superstar chorus, but the instrumentation also becomes a bit too whimsical for my tastes there.

I got Ice To Never in my last roulette, as well as Dark All Day and a different Bonobo song, funnily enough. I think I mentioned in my write-up for Ice To Never that I had listened to the song like five times and completely forgot about the break before the last chorus until I was in the middle of doing the write-up, because of how little it adds. :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Mostly the baby baby baby baby for the Superstar chorus, but the instrumentation also becomes a bit too whimsical for my tastes there.

Interesting, I think the oboe-driven instrumental breaks have the most whimsy to them, but it feels like a fantasy journey of sorts, which I enjoy.  The chorus instrumentally sounds a lot like Chicago with the horns and the looseness of the drumming and fills, which I consider one of the better bands of the time. 

I think I mentioned in my write-up for Ice To Never that I had listened to the song like five times and completely forgot about the break before the last chorus until I was in the middle of doing the write-up, because of how little it adds. :lol

That's my least favorite part of the song, and an example of how in a much weaker song those pitch-shifted vocals would probably irritate me more.  But I love everything else so much and basking in the ambiance of the texture of the synths there that I can pretty easily put up with it. 

Online twosuitsluke

You Carpenters hating heathens!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
You Carpenters hating heathens!

How dare they build fuckin' houses and shit.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Here is the second and last part of the minigame results.  EP title hangman will begin probably Saturday, but possibly tomorrow.  I'll just add the last couple EPs in when they arrive. 

---

8th Place

Yaatri - "Vipassana"

Submitted by HOF

ariich - 14th
Buddyhunter1 - 10th
Crow - 14th
Puppies_On_Acid - 10th
Sacul - 7th
SoundscapeMN - 2nd
TAC - 11th
twosuitsluke - 5th

Total:  73

The second part of an incredibly strong one-two punch from HOF at the beginning of the roulette, I'm pleasantly surprised that it's reasonably appealing here as well, given the ethereal and fusiony elements that DTF generally seems less into than I am. 

---

7th Place

Bonobo - "The Keeper"

Submitted by Vmadera00

ariich - 12th
Buddyhunter1 - 6th
Crow - 4th
Puppies_On_Acid - 7th
Sacul - 5th
SoundscapeMN - 4th
TAC - 17th
twosuitsluke - 13th

Total:  68

This one is even more of a slow burn, so it's nice to see it placing reasonably high. 

---

6th Place

Paramore - "The News"

Submitted by Tomislav95

ariich - 17th
Buddyhunter1 - 4th
Crow - 8th
Puppies_On_Acid - 9th
Sacul - 6th
SoundscapeMN - 10th
TAC - 5th
twosuitsluke - 8th

Total:  67

A really tight grouping with these last two being just a point apart.  I have a much longer set of observations related to this one still formulating, but I think I want to save most of them for after the roulette. 

---

5th Place

Shylagoghnar - "As All Must Come To Pass

Submitted by Puppies_On_Acid

ariich - 5th
Buddyhunter1 - 9th
Crow - 6th
Puppies_On_Acid - 4th
Sacul - 18th
SoundscapeMN - 11th
TAC - 4th
twosuitsluke - 7th

Total:  64

Probably the most thoroughly \m/ song here, which I think explains the voting breakdown, lol. 

---

4th Place

Rannoch - "Despair"

Submitted by Nachtmerrie

ariich - 10th
Buddyhunter1 - 8th
Crow - 3rd
Puppies_On_Acid - 3rd
Sacul - 16th
SoundscapeMN - 14th
TAC - 2nd
twosuitsluke - 2nd

Total:  58

Another of my absolute top favorites of the roulette, this just has it all - massive sound, monster riffs and soloing, great vocals, a dark ambient section, acoustics and percussion - this song alone is better than a whole album from many other bands, so I'm glad to see it do quite well.  I'm kind of loving that Sacul and TAC's lists are basically the inversions of each other, heh. 

---

3rd Place

Dissona - "Another Sky"

Submitted by ariich

ariich - 1st
Buddyhunter1 - 2nd
Crow - 2nd
Puppies_On_Acid - 6th
Sacul - 17rd
SoundscapeMN - 9rd
TAC - 3rd
twosuitsluke - 12th

Total:  52

I thought this would do well, but thought it could be lower, with the more unusual vocals, the dubstepy electronics to throw off the metal fans, but still being pretty intense and technical for the less into metal crowd, but I suppose the progginess gives it enough cross-appeal. 

---

2nd Place

Black Peaks - "Slow Seas"

Submitted by Evermind

ariich - 2nd
Buddyhunter1 - 5th
Crow - 10th
Puppies_On_Acid - 2nd
Sacul - 14th
SoundscapeMN - 8th
TAC - 6th
twosuitsluke - 1st

Total:  48

Another band it seems almost everyone can agree on.  In recent years especially I've been on the hunt for -core related bands that are more palatable, and this one seems to straddle other fences enough to be a near-universal hit. 

---

1st Place

Gunship - "Dark All Day"

Submitted by Crow (and attempted by Puppies_On_Acid)

ariich - 8th
Buddyhunter1 - 3rd
Crow - 1st
Puppies_On_Acid - 1st
Sacul - 1st
SoundscapeMN - 3rd
TAC - 15th
twosuitsluke - 4th

Total:  36

Not a photo finish at all.  I figured this song would score highly, but I wasn't sure it would score this high.  Poor TAC, he just doesn't get it.  :-p  Yep, my highest scoring song of the whole roulette, this also feels custom-built for me in a lab, so I'm not entirely sure why everyone else loves it so much, but I certainly don't mind.  I suppose it's at least partially because it has an unusual amount of dynamics for a synthwave tune, which is a trait that fairly reliably tends to reel prog fans in.  Maybe it's part of the minor backlash prog fans often feel about the static nature of most standard pop and rock songs, but this has the hooks as well, so it gets to eat the whole cake and still have another one sitting there. 

Luke, are you sure this isn't too 80s poppy for you?  ;-)

I'm nervous about checking the rest of this album out though for fear of disappointment.  I'd heard their first album a few years earlier, since they're a pretty big name in synthwave, but found it a bit underwhelming at the time.  And on its own it would still be a pretty good tune, but it's the guest vocals from Indiana and guest saxophone from Tim Capello that really put it over the top.  There are several slated tracks on their upcoming album next month which look to be potential spiritual sequels (the one with Tim Capello and Lights especially has me intrigued), but lightning doesn't always strike twice. 

---

Final Participant Rankings:

18th - Joan Baez - "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You"  ..........................................  119
17th - Ornette Coleman - "Congeniality"  ....................................................  109
16th - Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - "Skuggsjá"  ........................................  91
15th - Katzenjammer - "Demon Kitty Rag"  ...............................................  90
14th - Carpenters - "Superstar"  .............................................................  89
13th - The Black Queen - "Ice to Never  ..................................................  85
12th - Blanck Mass - "Death Drop"  .......................................................  81
11th/10th (tie) - Circus of Fools - "Eris (To the Fairest One)  ...................  80
11th/10th (tie) - Loreena McKennitt - "The Bonny Swans"  ....................  80
9th - Pepe Deluxé - "A Night and a Day"  ...........................................  78
8th - Yaatri - "Vipassana"  ..............................................................  73
7th - Bonobo - "The Keeper"  .........................................................  68
6th - Paramore - "The News"  .......................................................  67
5th - Shylagoghnar - "As All Must Come To Pass"  ..........................  64
4th - Rannoch - "Despair"  .........................................................  58
3rd - Dissona - "Another Sky"  ..................................................  52
2nd - Black Peaks - "Slow Seas"  ..............................................  48
1st - Gunship - "Dark All Day"  ................................................  36

BTW, how do the "..."s in these and my other results display for everyone?  On my desktop computer they have an aesthetically pleasing ascending slope to them, but when I look on my phone they're randomly uneven. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 06:53:27 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  Poor TAC, he just doesn't get it.  :-p 

Been feeling this way a lot lately. :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

Out of curiosity, have you listened to that whole song by Gunship?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Out of curiosity, have you listened to that whole song by Gunship?

You mean all 5 minutes? Am I missing something?

Offline SoundscapeMN

Pepe Deluxe:

As I posted a few years ago on the Phantom Cabinet page on rym

"I guess it's either you totally get it, or you don't get it at all."

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Having heard three of their albums now though, they have a decent range of sounds, so I could see people liking some songs and not others, or even just parts of them and not others.  Definitely one of the most unique bands I've received in the roulette. 

And other than you, their ranking range is 6-14, which is fairly compressed, one of the most, really. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 07:21:26 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline HOF

8th out of 18 for Yaatri, not bad!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Guess I should post my comments, rankings, scores etc. now  :lol

1st: Dark All Day by Gunship - 9.5/10
I mean if you're gonna call this the best song of the entire roulette I'm not gonna disagree? I probably like Kitsune off their debut slightly more but this song's still incredible, so.

2nd: Another Sky by Dissona - 8/10
See, it's funny because I'm pretty sure I introduced this band to DTF way back in 2016 after seeing them in concert, so it's like I get two songs here :lol This is honestly still pretty cool and wild prog metal even nowadays though.

3rd: Despair by Rannoch - 8/10
I don't know if I'm directly responsible for this one too but I did post about these guys before anyone else on DTF did, at the very least :lol Anyways this is probably my least fave of the four full tracks on this album, oops! Still good though.

4th: The Keeper by Bonobo - 7.5/10
Pretty cool, dark atmospheric vibes. Kinda took a while to get going but it was pleasant the whole way through and did kinda pop off towards the end, just has a neat sound the whole way through.

5th: Skuggsja by Skuggsja - 7.5/10
Got this one in a roulette many years ago myself, it takes its time getting going but it's really cool when it does get going, even if the style will never 100% be my thing I still like it nowadays more than I expected to.

6th: As All Must Come to Pass by Shylmagoghnar - 7.5/10
I spun this album a good few times back when it dropped and I remember liking it but finding it a bit… much. Overindulgent? Still pretty much true but hey at least it's a sound I like!

7th: Death Drop by Blanck Mass - 7.5/10
Lot of really cool sounds here, potentially, but some of the mixing & muddy sounds don't quite do it for me? It's like electronic black metal, including the weird production choices I don't always like. Still dug it though.

8th: The News by Paramore - 7/10
Paramore are a band I've never fully got but this is a pretty cool tune, yeah. Bit of an edge to it, the lyrics describing our existential nightmare pretty succinctly, just a solid tune all aroun. Wouldn't say I loved it, but, cool, yeah.

9th: Superstar by Carpenters - 7/10
Karen Carpenter has a lovely voice but I've never loved this group's music - however this does have a lot more going for it compositionally and isn't as saccharine sweet as I'm used to. Think I've heard it before somewhere.

10th: Slow Seas by Black Peaks - 7/10
This album was such a disappointment and a step down from their debut and I'm still not completely over it. This is… solid but it lacks the edge and energy that made that debut cool. And also there's no real strong hook either.

11th: Ice to Never by The Black Queen - 7/10
I liked this, but it's a bit… too faithful of an 80's pop pastiche, both in terms of the really blocky sounding percussion I've never loved and the overly cluttered moments where way too much is happening at once, but it's a fun tune so ehh.

12th: Congeniality by Ornette Coleman - 7/10
This gets kinda Seinfelded for me in that I'm sure it was innovative and fresh at the time but over 60 years later I've heard a lotta jazz in this lane to the point where this doesn't stand out and it's hard to to appreciate the nuances of it. Still fun though.

13th: A Night and a Day by Pepe Deluxe - 7/10
Not… completely sure what to do with this one honestly? For as many slightly off-kilter elements as it had it felt surprisingly normal, but it was at least a solid enough tune that I enjoyed it.

14th: Vipassana by Yaatri - 6.5/10
Well this is pleasant but like, nothing about it really stood out to me. It's like, Sonic Adventure 2 Rouge The Bat Stage Music. It gets a little neat towards the end, I guess?

15th: Eris (To the Fairiest One) by Circus of Fools - 6.5/10
Some primo beauty-and-the-beast-core that does not stand out in any way and I have nothing to say about it. It was fine.

16th: Demon Kitty Rag by Katzenjammer - 6/10
This brand of… swing? Ragtime? Cabaret?? I dunno, will never be my thing. It's a bouncy tune but nothing about it appeals to what I'm looking for in music. Nothing wrong with it though, I guess.

17th: Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You by Joan Baez - 6/10
Uuugh, she puts waaaay too much vibrato in her singing - it takes talent to do, I'm sure, but it does not sound great! Otherwise this is. Fine. Minimal folk is very hit or miss for me.

18th: The Bonny Swans by Loreena McKennitt - 5/10
Congrats on finding a sound I enjoy even less than ragtime and minimal folk? This sounds like goddamn christian music. It's seven minutes long. I only listened to about half of it before skimming the rest, which does not change even a tiny bit uuugh. No thanks.