Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 119074 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
ariich - Borknagar - "The Rhymes of the Mountain", "The Fire That Burns"

Early Impression - "Memorability is going to be the question, but the sound and elements are there.  I may have been sleeping on this band."

Final Summary:

So as it turns out, memorability was no issue at all - "The Fire That Burns" is still an earworm, and this roulette is rightfully starting to club me over the head with the idea that I need to pay more attention to the proggier Norwegian groups. 

Details:

I'm feeling another shorter writeup coming, you somehow keep having that effect on me.  I may have jinxed it by lampshading it, but we'll see.  This round, and to a lesser extent the roulette, has been a bit of a hall of fame of black metal bands that tend to appeal to prog fans, between Agalloch, Enslaved, or in earlier rounds like Arcturus, Ne Obliviscaris, Solefald, Moonsorrow (or do they just appeal to Puppies?...), etc.  So naturally it's time to reevaluate Borknagar, who as you've noticed, like Insomnium, I heard some of their earlier albums (possibly even more than I've rated, my memory is really fuzzy back that far), liked them moderately, but never really made an effort to keep up with them much after that. 

Their status as a supergroup of sorts does seem to do them favors though, as we started discussing earlier in the thread, I do somewhat know the title track from Winter Thrice since it's a bit more famous for having a revisitation from Fiery G. to cool off ICS.  But this duo of tracks is essentially similar to Enslaved, albeit a level up, with "Rhymes of the Mountain" being good, but "The Fire That Burns" being a bit more special.  I don't understand how essentially a one-note chorus is so damn catchy, but it is.  There's other tasty stuff from time to time, a solid production job, electric pianos, cool bass fills, guitar solos, some cleaner electric moments, a bit of synthesizer, and some violin (wouldn't have minded more).  Kolstad doesn't stand out as much on "Rhymes" as I'd hoped he might, but he certainly doesn't hold it back either.  The vocoder effect at 3:25 in "Rhymes" was also a serendipitous moment. 

And since this has been a round of responding to specious band comparisons I've heard over the years, I'll proffer a questionable one of my own.  Borknagar is black metal Soilwork.  The earlier releases from both were a bit trver, but over the time they've become more melodic, polished, and proggier.  But regardless, it's clear my Scandinavian axis of listening has been a bit too slanted towards Sweden over the years, and I need to tilt it at least slightly back in the direction of Norway.  It seems that this came out slightly longer than I expected, but I suppose there's no direct correlation between writeup length and submission quality anyway. 

Score:  8.25/10

---

Crow - Intronaut - "Fast Worms", "The Unlikely Event of a Water Landing"

Early Impression - "This might be the second best thing you've sent me.  As I had anticipated, the bass playing is a highlight."

Final Summary:

In actuality, the bass playing and the drumming are highlights, with "Fast Worms" having a cornucopia of delights, making this another band I'm at least a decade behind on, but it's never too late. 

Details:

As I mentioned in my PM, I've seen these guys live when they opened up for Katatonia, along with TesseracT and Cult of Luna.  I think I'd heard that they had a bit more flair in the bass department than normal, and I seem to recall that being the case during the show, but for whatever reason, I just never got around to following up on them.  Well, I'm definitely glad I'm able to look into them now. 

It's starting to get freaky with how common these submissions this round with a pair of songs will have one decent-good one, and one great one.  And I don't know if they're always the ones people would expect.  But in this case it's "The Unlikely Event of a Water Landing" that's pretty solid, but "Fast Worms" really steals the show.  My memory of how they sounded was so fuzzy that I didn't know quite what to expect, but it certainly wasn't for it to have quite so many dazzling elements to it. 

After a cool cliché but always effective lo-fi to full resolution explosion, the intro is a great mix of faster and slower heavy riffs, and the vocals are surprisingly decent, sounding a little like Threat Signal.  The ping-ponging riff at 2:56 is just the delightful sort of studio mixing trick I love, and that whole instrumental section in the middle with the jazz chords and the fretless soloing is absolutely worth the price of admission.  I play a little bit of fretless bass myself, so it's always a treat to hear players that are way better at it than I am.  Obviously from the impression the bass playing was the initial standout, but from repeated listens and checking out some drum playthrough videos, the playing there is quite excellent as well. 

And as if the world of this round isn't small enough already, one of their rehearsal videos shows them playing a stripped-down version of this song to Brent Hinds of Mastodon.  Between the artists voluntarily associating with each other and me making some additional connections, this round has become a miniature nexus of the prog music community.  Which might be better than the metal community, or at least some of it.  The sole Metal-Archives review for this album gives it a 0%.  I'm speechless. 

Score:  8.5/10

---

HOF - Big Big Train - "The Florentine", "Snowfalls"

Early Impression - "I was worried that this would be too overly simple and happy for me at first, but the way it builds is impressive and gradually becomes more to my taste."

Final Summary:

In truth, the way "The Florentine" builds is a microcosm of how the whole submission unfurled on me, continuing to prove to me that I've been too frequently ignoring bands of this type for too long. 

Details:

This roulette has been really fascinating in exposing me to musical niches that I'm often aware of but have mostly neglected.  A number of your submissions have certainly fallen into that category.  When it comes to "prog" music, it seems that I've frequently had an often unconscious divide, that for more modern artists I generally lean into ones more on the metal side, and for prog artists in the 80s and before (even the 90s to an extent), I generally lean towards the rock side.  It might just be the peculiarities of my taste, but advancements in learning to properly capture heavy downtuned guitars in the 90s and beyond is much noticeably greater than other technological improvements to record lighter styles. 

So BBT is an artist that I hear about all the time, and I've seen D'Virgilio in some other contexts, but I think I'd only heard one proper album of theirs to this point, and as we briefly discussed over PM, their discography is a bit daunting to explore for a relatively modern group.  It's interesting to try and recall exactly how I felt the first time I heard a song even a couple weeks ago now.  I was worried I'd find them a bit insipid, but the song length gave some hope that "The Florentine" would at least go to some interesting places, and it most certainly did.  Even now I think I actually even like the opening that had initially given me some pause, though it's hard to divorce it from the rest of the context now. 

But it's really quite spellbinding how it slowly develops and moves through different passages, with the violin solos, the organ, the synth leads, guitar solos, the various combinations of harmony vocals, NDV's always exciting drumming.  It kind of reminds me of more recent Anathema mixed with a more traditional prog band. 

The opening of "Snowfalls" made me believe it was going to have a different feel than it ultimately did with the 12-string guitar, it took awhile longer to grow on me, and doesn't reach quite the heights of "The Florentine", but it is quite a nice piece as well, with the Mellotron, the slide guitar bits, and the post-rock-ish leads near the end.  That fill NDV pulls off at 5:06 is bonkers.  I also didn't realize that in their lineup they have Rikard Sjöblom from Beardfish, who I saw live awhile ago. 

I've said in earlier rounds that it's generally safer to send me studio versions of songs and suggest live versions to listen to and/or watch on the side if they're particularly interesting, though this seems to be an example where it probably doesn't matter, they're both great and similar enough in production and quality that I don't mind.  The studio version does have mandolin though, which is such an underused instrument.  I also might actually like the version from The Boerderij in Zoetermeer just as much, which I believe has their current vocalist and violinist/backing vocalist. 

I imagine you and Soundscape (and maybe seneca for that matter) already both are quite familiar with the Kevin Gilbert connections, but I'll leave those for that writeup.  It's clear that I need to spend more time with the various neo-prog and modern prog rock bands, as there is evidently much I've been missing out on. 

Score:  8.75/10

---

Tomislav95 - Paramore - "Hard Times", "Rose-Colored Boy", "Fake Happy", "The News"

Early Impression - "This could be the best thing you've sent me, with an artist that has more range than I realized."

Final Summary:

I love to find out that a band I've been curious about for a long time, but never really explored, turns out to have multiple eras with a variety of different splendid sounds to explore. 

Details:

I think I might have had them on an earlier draft list of my eligible artists for this round even when this roulete started, but you sending "The News" to TAC definitely piqued my interest, made me make sure they were on the list, and I was hoping someone would pick them.  I only gave "The News" a single listen at the time, but it seemed interesting, and is a bit of a different side of them than the handful of songs I've heard before, essentially just from their first few albums.  But then the other three songs show yet another facet of them that I was completely in the dark on.  So it appears they might have at least three distinct eras that I might enjoy each for different reasons. 

I still can't decide though whether I prefer "The News" or "Hard Times", though both are great, but in different ways.  The latter starts out sounding like one of those phone notifications with the chromatic percussion ditty, but it turns it into a killer song that I can't get out of my head and don't want to either.  There is some fantastic orchestration between the various layers of guitar and keyboards, playing off of each other in endlessly interesting ways.  Even now, having heard this song many times at this point, I listen back more closely and every few seconds I notice another little detail and think, "was that there before?", which is one thing I really love when a song makes me do. 

"Rose-Colored Boy" and "Fake Happy" are also good tunes, though they don't bring me quite as much joy as the other two.  "Fake Happy" starts with a very narrowly mixed approach that soon after widens to the normal mix, which is a production trick used several other times in this round, but although that section is a tad long, the contrast is always fascinating to hear develop, no matter how many times I've heard it before.  "Rose-Colored Boy" also is quite engaging in how it blends the drum patterns with some subtle layers of percussion, and is probably the third best song of the batch. 

"The News" is fantastic throughout, but my favorite section of it is the pre-chorus ("So I, Turn, On...") with the melisma delivery drenched in delay and reverb.  The rest of her vocals there are great as well, and she has a better version and balance of melody and character than a lot of similar vocalists. 

---

SoundscapeMN - Kevin Gilbert - "Back in NYC", "Imagemaker", "Finally Over You"

Early Impression - "This is some of the most unusual and difficult to categorize of the accessible rock/pop I've heard, which could be its strength."

Final Summary:

All three songs have a quite unique blend of styles and influences in ways I don't believe I've heard anything else quite like, so I'm thrilled that this submission succeeded. 

Details:

Kevin seems to have become one of those larger than life figures that sometimes happens for people who have untimely passings.  I've heard him mentioned many times over the years, had some idea he was involved with Toy Matinee (sloppy reading years ago briefly had me thinking it was "Manitee" for a bit at first) and Giraffe (maybe it was the subconscious animal connection?), and had heard something about his work on a Sheryl Crow album.  I didn't realize that it goes far deeper, with work for Michael Jackson, Madonna, Keith Emerson, Eddie Money, and especially that he unfortunately missed the Genesis audition to replace Phil Collins.  It's morbidly fascinating when we also have Big Big Train in the round, of whom David Longdon was also strongly considered for that role by them.  And then Nick D'Virgilio being involved with Kevin as well. 

So Kevin is another artist that I tend to associate with you, and cautiously wondered whether he might come up at some point, and I guess my list for the round finalized the deal.  And it looks like it has worked out, because he is clearly a quite rare type of artist that I can see why he would resonate with people.  One of the most fascinating things is how timeless this music feels in a way.  At any given moment I can pick out elements from numerous prior decades that he has synthesized into something that feels quite singular. 

Like so many other artists you've sent, there's a quite riveting amount of layers in these songs that I'm sure I'll still be unpacking long after the roulette is over.  It's a real art to have what would probably be dozens if not hundreds of individual elements in a DAW for each track, some that just punctuate the song periodically, and have it all feel cohesive, but that is some of the magic of the best pop production that I think some rock/metal fans miss out on. 

"Back in NYC" is quite an intriguing cover.  On a prog forum the standards are just way too high, but among general music fans I'd consider myself a reasonably large Genesis fan, though I admittedly gravitated towards their 80s work for various reasons, and have heard and enjoyed but am not deeply familiar with the first few albums (though the transition period between Gabriel and Collins is probably the most enduringly interesting). 

Listening to both the original and Kevin's cover back to back, it's remarkable in how it transforms the song stylistically (ironically resembling some of Genesis' better moments in the 80s, which is perhaps why he was sought after for that position), yet retains some of the unique features, melodies, and motifs of it.  Some of the heavy modulation effects on the guitars are rather enthralling.  I think I even hear some mbira in spots, which is an instrument I've been fascinated by and wish more artists would utilize. 

"Imagemaker" is quite unusual, it's almost like industrial blues rock/pop, which doesn't sound on paper like it should work at all, but somehow does.  While all three songs are excellent, "Finally Over You" really takes the cake for me.  The addicting melodies, exquisite vocal harmonies, that intoxicating horn/chromatic percussion unison riff, and the out of nowhere lo-fi ragtime ending that remarkably fits perfectly. 

I've been a big Paul Gilbert fan for a long time, and have heard a bit of Bruce Gilbert, but I think it's time to start incorporating another Gilbert into my collection.  And I think I actually own that Sheryl Crow album Kevin was involved with, but am not sure I ever got around to listening to it, so despite the mess that apparently came about after it, I'm quite curious to hear it. 

---

Buddyhunter1 - Riverside - "Left Out"

Early Impression - "Hmm, maybe the second time's (third time?) the charm."

Final Summary:

This is right in a sweet spot of prog rock/metal excellence, with all the right ingredients, simultaneously feeling both old-school and contemporary in the appropriate ways. 

Details:

I already touched on a bit of my Riverside experience in the writeups for round 8, so it looks like I don't need as much room in this one.  But yeah, so this is the sound I remembered?/hoped they were capable of, but wasn't quite there either in earlier rounds, or in their album from this year, which I listened to a few months ago.  Maybe it is and I just overlooked it, but it's undeniable here. 

This just has the perfect combination of elements to create a transcendent vibe.  The spacious, melancholy feel, active bass lines, killer riffs, great guitar tones and soloing, tasty drumming (particularly the higher-pitched toms), magnificent Hammond organ, atmospheric piano, a bit of keyboard and electronic augmentation, and I think Mariusz' voice is gradually growing on me as well.  3:02 with the keyboard melody and the haunting backing vocals is especially intriguing.  And then I also adore the sound of the piano and soon after the chorused clean guitar in the section at 6:48. 

And there we have it, you, Tomi, and Crow in the top 5 for the round, just as I knew it would play out.  :-)

Score:  9/10

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Round 11 Scores:

Buddyhunter1  ..............................  9
HOF  ..........................................  8.75
SoundscapeMN  ..........................  8.75
Tomislav95  ..............................  8.75
Crow  .....................................  8.5
ariich  ...................................  8.25
Lethean  ..............................  8
Nachtmerrie  .......................  8
Puppies_On_Acid  ...............  8
Sacul  ..............................  8
TAC  ...............................  8
Vmadera00  ...................  8
Evermind  ....................  7.75
soupytwist  .................  7.5
senecadawg2  ............  7.25
Stadler  ....................  7.25
Elite  .......................  6.75
twosuitsluke  ...........  6.75

---

Round 11 Top 9 Songs:

1:  Paramore - "The News"/"Hard Times"
2:  Riverside - "Left Out"
3:  Big Big Train - "The Florentine"
4:  Kevin Gilbert - "Finally Over You"
5:  Borknagar - "The Fire That Burns"
6:  Intronaut - "Fast Worms"
7:  Enslaved - "Roots of the Mountain"
8:  Kate Bush - "Snowflake"
9:  Angra - "Upper Levels"

---

Current Cumulative Standings (after 11 rounds):

SoundscapeMN  -------------------------  91.25
Nachtmerrie  -----------------------------  91
Evermind  ---------------------------------  89.5
TAC  ----------------------------------------  89.25
ariich  ---------------------------------------  88.5
HOF  ------------------------------------------  88.5
soupytwist  ------------------------------------  87.5
Lethean  ----------------------------------------  87.25
Buddyhunter1  ----------------------------------  84
senecadawg2  ----------------------------------  83.25
Stadler  ----------------------------------------  82.25
Vmadera00  ----------------------------------  82.25
Puppies_On_Acid  --------------------------  81.5
Tomislav95  -------------------------------  81.5
Sacul  ------------------------------------  80.75
Elite  ------------------------------------  80.5
twosuitsluke  --------------------------  79.75
Crow  ---------------------------------  78.75
romdrums  --------------------------  14.25 (had to drop out after the second round)

---

Round Score Breakdown:

ariich:  7.75 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 8 + 8 + 9 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 7.75 + 8.25 = 88.5
Buddyhunter1:  7.5 + 6.5 + 7.75 + 7 + 8 + 7 + 7 + 7.75 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8.75 = 84
Crow:  6 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.5 + 7 + 5 + 7 + 9.25 + 7.75 + 7 + 8.5 = 78.75
Elite:  6.5 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 8.5 + 7.25 + 6.75 + 8 + 7 + 7.25 + 8.25 + 6.75 = 80.5
Evermind:  7.75 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8.25 + 8 + 8.5 + 8 + 9 + 7.75 = 89.5
HOF:  9 + 9 + 6.5 + 7.25 + 8.5 + 7 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 8 + 9 + 8.75 = 88.5
Lethean:  7.75 + 8.25 + 7.5 + 7 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 8 + 8.75 + 8 = 87.25
Nachtmerrie:  8.25 + 9 + 6.75 + 9 + 7.75 + 8 + 8 + 8.75 + 8.25 + 9.25 + 8 = 91
Puppies_On_Acid:  8 + 7 + 6.75 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.75 + 7 + 7.5 + 8 + 6.75 + 8 = 81.5
romdrums:  7.25 + 7 + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x = 14.25
Sacul:  7.25 + 8.75 + 6 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 6.75 + 8.25 + 9 + 7 + 4.75 + 8 = 80.75
senecadawg2:  8 + 7 + 8.5 + 6.75 + 8.25 + 8 + 8 + 7.25 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 7.25 = 83.25
SoundscapeMN:  8 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 8.5 + 8.75 + 7 + 8 + 8 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.75 = 91.25
soupytwist:  6.5 + 6.75 + 9 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8 + 7.5 = 87.5
Stadler:  8.5 + 7.5 + 7 + 7 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 6.75 + 7.5 + 7.75 + 7.25 = 82.25
TAC:  8.25 + 8.25 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 7.25 + 7.5 + 9 + 8.5 + 9 + 7.25 + 8 = 89.25
Tomislav95:  7 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 7 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8 + 7 + 7 + 6.25 + 8.75 = 81.5
twosuitsluke:  7.5 + 8.25 + 5.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7 + 7.75 + 7 + 7.25 + 7 + 6.75 = 79.75
Vmadera00:  7.25 + 7.75 + 8 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 8.75 + 7 + 6.75 + 8 = 82.25

---

*Remember for round 12 it's the pre-90s round - as many songs as you can fit into 20 minutes (remember, this is a change from earlier rounds that were only 15 minutes), from one artist, on releases from 1989 or earlier.

*I would prefer to avoid anything too overtly jazz-centric, I already have a lot of that. 

*I would also note that my parents were big classic rock/pop fans, so if you pick something that was or still is a radio staple, there's a good chance I already know it too well, but if it's a deeper cut or is a forgotten hit it might be ok, just be ready to swap songs out if need be. 

*Send your submission to lithojazzosphere@outlook.com.  If you can, send me both Youtube and Spotify links for your song(s).  The Youtube links are so I can make my own playlist and rip the audio.  The Spotify links are for the group playlist.  If you can't or don't find both links I will find them myself, but the more of you that find both, the less extra work I have to do.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 06:38:15 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Oh that's neat, after sending it I was quite worried you may find that song too repetitive, but glad you dug it. That album is wonderful, and has some great guests there.

Offline senecadawg2

Oof.

Be careful when you pull the knife from my heart. It could get messy.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train

Anyways, go listen to the rest of Anno Domini High Definition. The rest of the album is pretty much on par with that song - one of the best prog albums ever.

And yeah, that Agalloch score is too low. Can't win em all, I guess. :angel:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, that went better than expected. Glad it resonated a bit.

Usually in my roulettes, after I post results my eyes glaze over reading all of the "you should check (this album) out next".

If you ever decide to follow up with Alice Cooper, shoot me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

Going to send something similar in this coming round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i like both intronaut songs a ton but if you liked fast worms, the rest of the album is a lot more in line with that  :lol wanted to send one heavier tune and one lighter tune, so

prehistoricisms should also be up your alley, that's their second best imo

round 12 sent

Offline nick_z

Lethean - Angra - "The Shaman", "Upper Levels"

Early Impression - "I wish the first song had the production quality of the second, but I may have been sleeping on this band too."

Final Summary:

It seems this could be a band that I might enjoy their later releases more due to a sleeker production, but even the earlier track has noteworthy properties, making this another artist that look forward to hearing more from. 

Details:

Angra is another of those bands I've known about seemingly forever, but just never spent a lot of time with.  I'd heard Temple of Shadows, which was considered a classic, and enjoyed it, but was just never compelled to revisit it.  Even when their name kept popping back up with Aquilles Priester auditioning for DT and Kiko Loureiro taking the Megadeth co-guitar slot, I just never made the effort to investigate them further.  I'm kind of regretting that a bit, but hey, that's exactly why I'm having this round, because later is better than never. 

It's curious that aggregation sites seem to consider Holy Land, the album "The Shaman" is from, to be much better than Secret Garden, the originating album for "Upper Levels".  Perhaps it's an issue of consistency, but at least these particular songs go in the opposite order for me.  "The Shaman" is a nice enough song, I enjoy some of the hand percussion and auxiliary instrumentation in particular (the didgeridoo in the ending especially, I own one myself, but am awful at trying to play it), but the overall production feels really time-locked to the mid-90s, with some dated keyboard patches and a fairly weak guitar tone. 

"Upper Levels" on the other hand, just has a much richer feel to me, a higher-budget sound, meatier guitars, and still with some hand percussion and other intriguing components here and there.  I was kind of hoping one of these tracks would have Aquilles, as I've seen him live when he toured with Tony MacAlpine, plus the DT audition, and a few Youtube playthroughs here and there, but he seems to have been inbetween these eras.  No matter though, I can check out that material later, and his replacement is more than capable, with some quite piquant arrangements and great drum mixing, especially on the toms. 

Kiko's soloing is another highlight, as I hoped it would be based on everything I've heard from him before (and you sending him in an earlier round).  He really is a complete soloist, seamlessly going between some jazzy phrasing, blues licks, the shredding you expect in prog/power metal, and he's again especially adept with whammy dips, which I find quite addicting.  There is some fantastic bass work throughout as well, most notably in the intro of "Upper Levels" and at 4:06 inbetween the solos.  And I assume Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee were given writing credit for that whole section at 4:36, the resemblance is kind of uncanny. 

Vocally they're nothing particularly notable, with a fairly conventional prog/power sort of vocal style.  I was surprised to learn that Fabio Lione of Rhapsody has been their vocalist for awhile now.  Rhapsody was actually one of the very first power metal bands I listened to, though they were never one of my favorites, and it's been so long and I've listened to so very little of them since then, which likely explains why I didn't make the connection at first.  That harmony section at 3:10 in "Upper Levels" is quite stunning though, I kind of hope they do that more often on other songs. 

Score:  8/10

Just perusing these comments, as there are a lot bands I like...particularly fond of early Angra. Litho, do yourself a favor a give the full Holy Land album (that's where The Shaman is from) a listen. It's excellent. Admittedly, it might be "especially special" for me because it came out during a time of full blown music discovery, but Angra kicked it up a notch from their (already great) debut. They were very influenced by Helloween on that one (although with more than a bit of distinct personality already), while with Holy Land they truly came into their own. There's plenty of power metal still (not that you can hear much of it on The Shaman), but all mixed in with a bunch of cool influences, including classical and ethnic music. The production could be a little warmer, but it works. And Andre Matos (RIP) is great on this one.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Oof.

Be careful when you pull the knife from my heart. It could get messy.

Yeah, that's one thing that's kind of painful about roulettes, from both a hosting and participating side.  Sometimes it's easier to send stuff you like but isn't an absolute favorite because you're a bit more detached from the outcome.  I did like it, and it's better than a lot of similar music, but it's just a style that I've always struggled with.  Part of why I try and include more detailed notes on what worked and didn't is in hopes that maybe people can pick up on them and find other music that takes all that into account. 

Usually in my roulettes, after I post results my eyes glaze over reading all of the "you should check (this album) out next".

If you ever decide to follow up with Alice Cooper, shoot me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

Nah, I make note of all that for future listening purposes, and I have no doubt that I'll be coming back long after the roulette is over to keep checking things out with comments and suggestions in mind. 

If you want, you can make an hour or two-long Alice Cooper playlist and I'll listen to it at some point, I imagine he has the volume and breadth of discography to support it.  As part of the research process for the round I actually watched a few music videos of some of his other songs and can see that he's done a range of things. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 07:04:20 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Now I really feel like I need to start that Enslaved discography thread. Litho, I think you'd come to an even greater appreciation for the band by listening through in chronological order.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
I know what HOF is sending for round 12  ;) Unless he already sent them earlier and I wasn't paying attention.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Now I really feel like I need to start that Enslaved discography thread. Litho, I think you'd come to an even greater appreciation for the band by listening through in chronological order.  :metal

Sure, though if you want me to follow along and participate in real-time you'd probably need to wait 'til after the last round. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I know what HOF is sending for round 12  ;) Unless he already sent them earlier and I wasn't paying attention.  :corn

Hah, he's actually already mentioned a number of possibilities over PM, but between those and some older stuff I've seen him send in other roulettes, even with inside information I don't really know yet.   :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've got no clue on what to send pre-90s, time to delve deep into my library and hope I've got something you haven't listened to :corn

EDIT: lmao the first thing that came to mind has no ratings on your RYM hell yeah

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Nah, I make note of all that for future listening purposes, and I have no doubt that I'll be coming back long after the roulette is over to keep checking things out with comments and suggestions in mind. 

If you want, you can make an hour or two-long Alice Cooper playlist and I'll listen to it at some point, I imagine he has the volume and breadth of discography to support it.  As part of the research process for the round I actually watched a few music videos of some of his other songs and can see that he's done a range of things.

OK, I'll work on it in the next few weeks. Yeah, there's a lot to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, and sent for the next round.

• DTF.org Member

Sure, though if you want me to follow along and participate in real-time you'd probably need to wait 'til after the last round.
I probably won't be able to start it until November. So as long as you are done by then... :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I probably won't be able to start it until November. So as long as you are done by then... :neverusethis:

It's gonna be close.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

It's gonna be close.

Nah, I can almost guarantee Luke's record will be safe.  :p

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i dunno, if puppies ever gets his results out he might take the record back  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Slackcul has just sent 20 mins of epic 80s music :2metal:

• DTF.org Member
i dunno, if puppies ever gets his results out he might take the record back  :corn
:biggrin:

And sent.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline senecadawg2

Sent!

I might be on track for the lowest score of the roulette.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Whoo boy I might have some Grade-A cheating material for the second-to-last round :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Cool, yeah your description of the Fire That Burns chorus is so true, it is basically one note {with a brief dip and return) and yet it's still so catchy. I was aware that Rhymes (and indeed Winter Thrice in general) isn't so strong in terms of hooks but it's just such a great encapsulation of their current sound so I thought the two in combination would be good. In terms of melodies, I really think you might like True North a lot. Even though I like the sound of WT more, TN is my favourite precisely because so many of the songs are so memorable.

OK for the next round I currently have 3 leading options to choose from, all completely different genres and moods so I have no idea which to go for. :lol

Also when you say you'd rather not get more jazz, do you mean any jazz or mainly the more traditional and/or well known 40s-60s stuff?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
Cool, yeah your description of the Fire That Burns chorus is so true, it is basically one note {with a brief dip and return) and yet it's still so catchy. I was aware that Rhymes (and indeed Winter Thrice in general) isn't so strong in terms of hooks but it's just such a great encapsulation of their current sound so I thought the two in combination would be good. In terms of melodies, I really think you might like True North a lot. Even though I like the sound of WT more, TN is my favourite precisely because so many of the songs are so memorable.

OK for the next round I currently have 3 leading options to choose from, all completely different genres and moods so I have no idea which to go for. :lol

Also when you say you'd rather not get more jazz, do you mean any jazz or mainly the more traditional and/or well known 40s-60s stuff?
I find it kind of funny that we both picked Norwegian proggy black metal bands and you happened to pick the song Rhymes of the Mountain and I picked Roots of the Mountain.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

twosuitsluke - NOFX - "Green Corn", "Punk Guy", "Seeing Double at the Triple Rock", "I Wanna Be An Alcoholic", "Murder the Government", "Dinosaurs Will Die", "Monosyllabic Girl", "The Man I Killed", "The Separation of Church and Skate", "F**k the Kids"

Early Impression - "Yeah, so this is the miscreant little brother of a style I casually like."

Final Summary:

There is a nice energetic vibe instrumentally to some of the songs that is not too dissimilar to other skate punk I like, but the songs are too weighted towards silliness, and Fat Mike's vocals are a struggle for me. 

Details:

Alright, so skate punk was really my first big inroads into attempting to get into some punk bands.  As I foreshadowed last round in my preliminary thoughts on -core styles, I kind of had an adversarial relationship with punk in high school, but did have a few guilty pleasures of the pop-punk that was popular on the radio back in the late 90s/early 00s, particularly The Offspring and Green Day, I suppose the former of which is both pop-punk and skate punk depending upon the release/song.  But it was plowing through albums from Bad Religion, Pennywise, Rancid, and Millencolin in particular that really convinced me that there was validity to the style, with an irrepressible and infectious energy that really couldn't be properly duplicated in any other genre.  But for whatever reason even though I was well-aware of the name NOFX (there was even one guy who used them as his alias in an online video game I played a lot back then), I just never got around to checking them out. 

Now, at their core, they have many of the same attributes that other skate punk bands do, with the high-tempo, kinetic feel and a certain catchiness to them.  On my first listen I was a bit worried, because "Green Corn" initially struck me as sounding more amateur and unpolished production-wise than some other similar bands.  I think I've grown much more acclimated to it over time, because it doesn't really bug me anymore.  And most of the others are fine in terms of production.  "Seeing Double at the Triple Rock" in particular has the punchiest and meatiest sound to it, which makes me wonder if Wolves in Wolves' Clothing has a consistent production style like that song, or if it varies across the album.  If it's the former, I suspect it could be the best album to dip into at some point and see if any other tracks stand out. 

One somewhat complicated issue with this set of songs is that we probably have different goals in checking out bands.  There are eight different albums represented here, which I suppose in one sense gives a brief snapshot of a broader array of their discography.  But to achieve that, so many of these tracks are quite short, and while punk has always leaned towards shorter song lengths, some of these are really more of skits and interludes than they are songs, particular the sub-1:00 ones.  Perhaps this works to convey NOFX's musical personality, although it seems hard to miss it in their songs at any length, but it just makes them a bit harder to get into than the still brief, but more substantial tracks.  "F%~@&$*#!" the Kids" is basically the Napalm Death "You Suffer" of punk. 

I have to wonder if they'd have come across slightly better by cutting out the shorter pieces for another track or two like "Seeing Double", "Dinosaurs Will Die", and "The Separation of Church and Skate".  Those are just more complete as songs and I have a greater chance of revisiting them later on than the micro-songs, which are one-offs that I honestly will probably never listen to again once this round is over. 

What really holds everything back for me though is Fat Mike's vocals.  Like thrash metal, punk-adjacent bands seem to have one of the most eclectic sets of unusual vocalists that you dislike, learn to tolerate, or some even love because they're unique and have a lot of character.  I imagine for you it's probably the latter, but I'm much closer to the former, and I'd need someone more like say, Greg Graffin, for it to really work.  Although, I must admit that the occasional harmony vocal bit works better than the solo lines, such as at 0:56 in "Green Corn". 

I'm also generally not that into humor in music, and that seems to be a major part of their shtick.  I think the closest something like this comes to working for me is Devin Townsend's Punky Brüster project, which I kind of ignore the narrative aspect of, and his voice works better for.  I imagine part of the fun of the NOFX experience is their live shows (I heard they suck, and they're getting even worse at them!), and I watched some of these songs being played live, and I get the feeling the stage banter and spontaneity in the evolving lyrics adds to the appeal for some people. 

Of course, there is a fair amount that does appeal to me throughout these songs though.  "Seeing Double" has an excellent primary riff.  "The Separation" has a neat almost surf-punk one driving it.  "Dinosaurs" has that fun bass break right near the ending.  "The Separation" has some tasty cymbal work at 1:46.  Shortly after it has a cool guitar solo, as does "Green Corn". 

I think a band like this (or even, say, KGLW) illustrates a fundamental difference in what the two of us are drawn to in music.  You seem to place a much higher priority on "whoa, check this out, dude" novelty, and music that's mostly about fun, good times party vibes.  I don't mind a bit of music like this on occasion, but I think I just have much less of a consistent appetite for it than you seem to. 

Obviously you can correct me if you think I'm mischaracterizing this, it's just my perception of what I've been increasingly noticing over time and why certain music seems to resonate with you a lot more than it does with me.  I'm more than happy to continue checking out bands like these, and every now and then something will hit (Seatbelts from an earlier round is one example from your submissions, or Katzenjammer from soupy), though I think they're generally more likely to continue to be the exception to the rule.  But I suspect you're at the point in the roulette where you're just sending whatever feels the most fun and exciting to you in the moment, and that's cool too.  A well-balanced roulette participant pool has all kinds of different types of entries to keep things fresh. 

Score:  6.75/10

I mean, you’re not wrong on many points. I’ll start by saying that I have never had the intention of sending NOFX in any roulette. I think they are an acquired taste, even if you are into punk rock.

You rightly nailed that a big part of their appeal is that their live show is part stand up comedy, and I love the way they interact with each other and the crowd. Yes Fat Mike can be kind of an opinionated jerk, and his mouth is definitely going faster than his brain at times. He may not be the best vocalist or lyricist, but I kinda love him anyway.

In hindsight, sending a smaller selection of ‘proper’ songs would’ve gotten me a higher score, but at this point I am out of the running anyway. I couldn’t help but try to submit the most number of songs I could (whilst still sending songs I genuinely love). Other than the obvious one, all the other short songs that I have in my playlist of all time favourite songs. I love a short song, and these guys are masters of that style of song for me.

I definitely don’t exclusively listen to high energy, singalong party music, however when I think of my all time favourite songs, then a high percentage fall into that category. Music gives me a high like nothing else, and blasting my favourite songs in the car, singing at the top of my voice, drumming on the steering wheel etc, that is when I can just let myself go. It’s the same as being at a show. Those high energy songs do pump me up, and I love to sing, so NOFX are my all time favourite punk band partly for this reason.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Awesome, I've managed to wrangle an essay out of Luke.   ;D

Fascinating, I had a note about preferring the production on "Rhymes" that didn't make it into the writeup, but yeah, based on that song "Fire" is a bit more indelible. 

I guess I'm mainly looking to hear things that I don't already have a truckload of (bebop/hard bop/post-bop/fusion) or have been exposed to a lifetime of (standard oldies/classic rock radio fodder). 

Rhymes
I find it kind of funny that we both picked Norwegian proggy black metal bands and you happened to pick the song Rhymes of the Mountain and I picked Roots of the Mountain.  :lol

Hah, in my continual noticing of coincidences, I caught early on about the "mountain" motif, and then forgot to put it somewhere in my observations.   :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I guess I'm mainly looking to hear things that I don't already have a truckload of (bebop/hard bop/post-bop/fusion) or have been exposed to a lifetime of (standard oldies/classic rock radio fodder). 
Ok thanks. I was asking in relation to a potential fourth option which I don't think would really fit into any of those definitions, but I think I'll just leave it off and focus on choosing between the other options. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Sent some dad rock
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline HOF

HOF - Big Big Train - "The Florentine", "Snowfalls"

Early Impression - "I was worried that this would be too overly simple and happy for me at first, but the way it builds is impressive and gradually becomes more to my taste."

Final Summary:

In truth, the way "The Florentine" builds is a microcosm of how the whole submission unfurled on me, continuing to prove to me that I've been too frequently ignoring bands of this type for too long. 

Details:

This roulette has been really fascinating in exposing me to musical niches that I'm often aware of but have mostly neglected.  A number of your submissions have certainly fallen into that category.  When it comes to "prog" music, it seems that I've frequently had an often unconscious divide, that for more modern artists I generally lean into ones more on the metal side, and for prog artists in the 80s and before (even the 90s to an extent), I generally lean towards the rock side.  It might just be the peculiarities of my taste, but advancements in learning to properly capture heavy downtuned guitars in the 90s and beyond is much noticeably greater than other technological improvements to record lighter styles. 

So BBT is an artist that I hear about all the time, and I've seen D'Virgilio in some other contexts, but I think I'd only heard one proper album of theirs to this point, and as we briefly discussed over PM, their discography is a bit daunting to explore for a relatively modern group.  It's interesting to try and recall exactly how I felt the first time I heard a song even a couple weeks ago now.  I was worried I'd find them a bit insipid, but the song length gave some hope that "The Florentine" would at least go to some interesting places, and it most certainly did.  Even now I think I actually even like the opening that had initially given me some pause, though it's hard to divorce it from the rest of the context now. 

But it's really quite spellbinding how it slowly develops and moves through different passages, with the violin solos, the organ, the synth leads, guitar solos, the various combinations of harmony vocals, NDV's always exciting drumming.  It kind of reminds me of more recent Anathema mixed with a more traditional prog band. 

The opening of "Snowfalls" made me believe it was going to have a different feel than it ultimately did with the 12-string guitar, it took awhile longer to grow on me, and doesn't reach quite the heights of "The Florentine", but it is quite a nice piece as well, with the Mellotron, the slide guitar bits, and the post-rock-ish leads near the end.  That fill NDV pulls off at 5:06 is bonkers.  I also didn't realize that in their lineup they have Rikard Sjöblom from Beardfish, who I saw live awhile ago. 

I've said in earlier rounds that it's generally safer to send me studio versions of songs and suggest live versions to listen to and/or watch on the side if they're particularly interesting, though this seems to be an example where it probably doesn't matter, they're both great and similar enough in production and quality that I don't mind.  The studio version does have mandolin though, which is such an underused instrument.  I also might actually like the version from The Boerderij in Zoetermeer just as much, which I believe has their current vocalist and violinist/backing vocalist. 

I imagine you and Soundscape (and maybe seneca for that matter) already both are quite familiar with the Kevin Gilbert connections, but I'll leave those for that writeup.  It's clear that I need to spend more time with the various neo-prog and modern prog rock bands, as there is evidently much I've been missing out on. 

Awesome! BBT are a bit on the soft side for most people who lean towards metal in their prog, but there is a whole world of sounds in their music to explore, and I'm glad these ones got your attention. I am almost always with you on studio v. live performances, but the live performance of The Florentine on their Empire DVD really did seem to have a better energy and richer sound to me. Which is amazing because all of their studio albums sound really good. I'm glad you checked out the Zoetermeer performance as well. There is also one of Snowfalls with their new singer, which is really good and worth checking out.

If you are interested in exploring BBT (and haven't already heard it), I'd recommend starting out with The Underfall Yard and just going forward from there.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
7.75 is a little bit low but at least it's not 6.75!

No idea what to send for this round, but I'll definitely send something in the next 22 hours as I won't be around much during the weekend.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SoundscapeMN

from a massive fan of the Andre Matos period Angra, while "The Shaman" is a great track, but I would have probably gone with something else 1st.
I actually did think about sending them.

Offline SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN - Kevin Gilbert - "Back in NYC", "Imagemaker", "Finally Over You"

Early Impression - "This is some of the most unusual and difficult to categorize of the accessible rock/pop I've heard, which could be its strength."

Final Summary:

All three songs have a quite unique blend of styles and influences in ways I don't believe I've heard anything else quite like, so I'm thrilled that this submission succeeded. 

Details:

Kevin seems to have become one of those larger than life figures that sometimes happens for people who have untimely passings.  I've heard him mentioned many times over the years, had some idea he was involved with Toy Matinee (sloppy reading years ago briefly had me thinking it was "Manitee" for a bit at first) and Giraffe (maybe it was the subconscious animal connection?), and had heard something about his work on a Sheryl Crow album.  I didn't realize that it goes far deeper, with work for Michael Jackson, Madonna, Keith Emerson, Eddie Money, and especially that he unfortunately missed the Genesis audition to replace Phil Collins.  It's morbidly fascinating when we also have Big Big Train in the round, of whom David Longdon was also strongly considered for that role by them.  And then Nick D'Virgilio being involved with Kevin as well. 

So Kevin is another artist that I tend to associate with you, and cautiously wondered whether he might come up at some point, and I guess my list for the round finalized the deal.  And it looks like it has worked out, because he is clearly a quite rare type of artist that I can see why he would resonate with people.  One of the most fascinating things is how timeless this music feels in a way.  At any given moment I can pick out elements from numerous prior decades that he has synthesized into something that feels quite singular. 

Like so many other artists you've sent, there's a quite riveting amount of layers in these songs that I'm sure I'll still be unpacking long after the roulette is over.  It's a real art to have what would probably be dozens if not hundreds of individual elements in a DAW for each track, some that just punctuate the song periodically, and have it all feel cohesive, but that is some of the magic of the best pop production that I think some rock/metal fans miss out on. 

"Back in NYC" is quite an intriguing cover.  On a prog forum the standards are just way too high, but among general music fans I'd consider myself a reasonably large Genesis fan, though I admittedly gravitated towards their 80s work for various reasons, and have heard and enjoyed but am not deeply familiar with the first few albums (though the transition period between Gabriel and Collins is probably the most enduringly interesting). 

Listening to both the original and Kevin's cover back to back, it's remarkable in how it transforms the song stylistically (ironically resembling some of Genesis' better moments in the 80s, which is perhaps why he was sought after for that position), yet retains some of the unique features, melodies, and motifs of it.  Some of the heavy modulation effects on the guitars are rather enthralling.  I think I even hear some mbira in spots, which is an instrument I've been fascinated by and wish more artists would utilize. 

"Imagemaker" is quite unusual, it's almost like industrial blues rock/pop, which doesn't sound on paper like it should work at all, but somehow does.  While all three songs are excellent, "Finally Over You" really takes the cake for me.  The addicting melodies, exquisite vocal harmonies, that intoxicating horn/chromatic percussion unison riff, and the out of nowhere lo-fi ragtime ending that remarkably fits perfectly. 

I've been a big Paul Gilbert fan for a long time, and have heard a bit of Bruce Gilbert, but I think it's time to start incorporating another Gilbert into my collection.  And I think I actually own that Sheryl Crow album Kevin was involved with, but am not sure I ever got around to listening to it, so despite the mess that apparently came about after it, I'm quite curious to hear it. 

Great to see this stuff worked for you.

my wife loves "Finally Over You"...and it really is the only song by him she's ever enjoyed, lol. I think a lot of it due to it's pop/power-pop nature.
Although she's a big Sheryl Crow fan, so I frequently point out how he wrote and played on a lot of Tuesday Night Music Club.

I am one to enjoy layered music certainly, and most of Kevin Gilbert's music there's no exception to that. He was a studio hound/rat. Constantly recording-re-recording as a perfectionist, so naturally there's a lot to discover within his recordings.

I guess when you do dive deeper into some of his stuff, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. I know some stuff works better than others for some, Toy Matinee is 1 I often think of, but it's interesting how there's several people on this forum alone, who don't find it all that engaging. Which maybe he's not for them, or maybe it's not the best thing for them to hear? (Thud, Giraffe or The Shaming of the True, might work better?)