Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 119059 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Ok, here's hangman filled out.  I'll post early impressions tomorrow. 

Evermind: Black Peaks
    1: The Midnight Sun
    2: Slow Seas

HOF: Ske
    1: Insolubilia I
    2: La Nona Onda

Elite: Ornette Coleman
    1: Lonely Woman
    2: Congeniality

senecadawg2: mewithoutYou
    1: Wolf Am I! (And Shadow)
    2: A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains
    3: In a Sweater Poorly Knit

Sacul: dreamcrusher
    1: Cathedral of Moths
    2: Pseudogender

Puppies_On_Acid: The Fall of Troy
    1: Chapter III: Nostalgic Mannerisms
    2: Chapter IV: Enter the Black Demon

ariich: Ocean Colour Scene
    1: Get Blown Away
    2: Alibis
    3: The Riverboat Song

Vmadera00: Cro-Mags
    1: Apocalypse Now
    2: 2020

Tomislav95: Okkervil River
    1: So Come Back I Am Waiting
    2: For Real

Nachtmerrie: Svalbard
    1: Open Wound
    2: Listen To Someone
    3: Pearlescent

SoundscapeMN: Mutyumu
    1: intro -il y a-
    2: die Ewige Wiederkunft
    3: L'oeil est Dieu

soupytwist: Manic Street Preachers
    1: A Design For Life
    2: Australia
    3: Your Love Alone Is Not Enough

Buddyhunter1: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    1: Ambugaton
    2: Phthisis

Stadler: Hank Williams Jr.
    1: The Pressure Is On
    2: Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line
    3: A Country Boy Can Survive

Lethean: Solefald
    1: Song Til Stormen
    2: Tittentattenteksti
    3: Vitets Vidd I Verdi

TAC: Sigh
    1: Voices
    2: In Memories Delusional

Crow: Actor|Observer
    1: The Devil You Know
    2: Dilettante
    3: Pareidolia

twosuitluke: Gallows
    1: Kill the Rhythm
    2: Come Friendly Bombs
    3: Abandon Ship
    4: In the Belly of a Shark

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Oh, and here is the playlist for the round.  "Get Blown Away" from Ocean Colour Scene might not show up, and the Ske songs don't seem to be on streaming, so you'll have to find alternate methods or get HOF to send them to you if you're interested in checking them out. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5YjbdPyZTVrsoWDYArhsr6

Offline HOF

Oh, and here is the playlist for the round.  "Get Blown Away" from Ocean Colour Scene might not show up, and the Ske songs don't seem to be on streaming, so you'll have to find alternate methods or get HOF to send them to you if you're interested in checking them out. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5YjbdPyZTVrsoWDYArhsr6

The Ske songs can be streamed at Bandcamp only for whatever reason:

https://skeskeskeskeske.bandcamp.com/album/insolubilia?from=search&search_item_id=1994193360&search_item_type=a&search_match_part=%3F&search_page_id=2621310442&search_page_no=0&search_rank=2&logged_out_mobile_menubar=true

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
TAC, I had no clue you liked Sigh. Are getting in training for Lonestar's roulette or something?  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
TAC, I had no clue you liked Sigh. Are getting in training for Lonestar's roulette or something?  :lol

I checked out Heir To Despair when it came out and thought it was really interesting. I've had it in my Spotify library ever since. It was probably the first band I thought of and was happy they weren't banned.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

I checked out Heir To Despair when it came out and thought it was really interesting. I've had it in my Spotify library ever since. It was probably the first band I thought of and was happy they weren't banned.

Yea, I've been toying with sending them literally every roulette currently going, as I don't think they're banned in any. Clearly underrated around here. Heir to Despair is my favourite, such a good album.

Actually, they might be banned in Crow's, as I know they at least like some of their albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yea, I've been toying with sending them literally every roulette currently going, as I don't think they're banned in any. Clearly underrated around here. Heir to Despair is my favourite, such a good album.

Actually, they might be banned in Crow's, as I know they at least like some of their albums.

They are banned in Crow's. Thought of them for the Weird Round. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
sigh are definitely banned for my roulette yes  :corn

the weird round is probably going to be a disaster but we'll see

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
the weird round is probably going to be a disaster but we'll see

TAC's acoustic round, your weird round, my current round, why do we do this to ourselves?   :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Hmm, these didn't come out quite as pessimistically as I worried they might (especially after Crow's latest impressions), but I guess you'll have to be the judge of that.  As always, I'm way past the first listen, and may already feel differently about some of them.  I still try and capture some of the initial feeling, but sometimes doing them later (technically revising in a lot of cases) probably softens some of them. 

I will also say I find it amusing that I have three Brits in my roulette - two of them sent Britpop, one did not.   :laugh:

Round 10 Early Impressions:

1:  The first song feels like a funhouse mirror version of a style I like, but the second is more appealing, so we'll have to see how it balances out. 

2:  Puppies_On_Acid - The Fall of Troy - Did someone sneak The Mars Volta in again? 

3:  soupytwist - Manic Street Preachers - This seems kind of middle of the road, but you might have accidentally? stumbled upon some sneaky cheatin' points for an element of one of the songs. 

4:  So apparently there's at least two sides to this style, and I'd only checked out the one I really have to be in the right mood for, because I'll probably be in the mood for this much more frequently. 

5:  Two of these songs are kind of cool, but I feel like I'm observing a scuffle between two demons arguing over who gets to devour this poor sinner's kidneys first. 

6:  TAC - Sigh - This is really hard to parse.  There are certainly elements I like here, but other elements I thought might be present are missing, the production is a bit rough, and I wonder if these are the right songs to have sent. 

7:  The non-metal facets of this are easily the strongest, but the metal ones and the production hold it back. 

8:  Now this is going to take some getting used to, I feel like I'm in one of those dreams where everything's a little off, but you can't quite put your finger on what it is. 

9:  This is close to a style that I like (though don't always love), but it might be a too stripped-down version of it. 

10:  ariich - Ocean Colour Scene - The last song is really infectious, but the jury will be deliberating on the first two for a bit I suspect. 

11:  The key for some of the better submissions this round might be being adjacent to genres/artists I do like, and this one achieves that with a lush, beautiful and powerful sound. 

12:  This has more promising elements than some of what I've heard in this genre that makes me feel negatively about it, but still leans way too much into the things that bug me about versions of this style, particularly vocally. 

13:  There are some cool instrumental ideas here, but the growing array of types of vocals that vex me in this genre continues to frustrate me. 

14:  Normally I dislike instrumental versions of vocal albums, but this might be one of those exceptions where I could need it. 

15:  This isn't really my sort of style, but I have to admit it was getting a bit more fun and unexpectedly varied as it went along. 

16:  Getting the right balance of vocals that don't annoy me and guitar work that isn't overly fidgety seems to be a key for getting this style right, and this is one of the ones that comes closest to nailing it. 

17:  There are a surprisingly high number of different components I like here, though there aren't quite as many of any of them in particular as I'd like. 

18:  Sacul - dreamcrusher - This is so grating and obnoxious you may have driven me back into the comforting, loving arms of Han-Tyumi. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 06:40:55 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Have no idea lol

Maybe 12? I hope is not 18
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Nope. 

Online twosuitsluke

18, but that means you love Han-tyumi now right?

You asked for hardcore punk, and got some of the UKs best, imo.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I know you wanted that one but sorry it's not yours.  :p

Online twosuitsluke

Awwww, I wanted to be the obnoxious one.

But, back to Han-tyumi, big fan now right? Good man.

Well, mine will be one of the ones you don't like then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

1:  The first song feels like a funhouse mirror version of a style I like, but the second is more appealing, so we'll have to see how it balances out. 

4:  So apparently there's at least two sides to this style, and I'd only checked out the one I really have to be in the right mood for, because I'll probably be in the mood for this much more frequently. 

I'm going to start with these two.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Hmm, could be quite a few of them but I like to try and narrow it down to three so let's try these ones:

3:  This seems kind of middle of the road, but you might have accidentally? stumbled upon some sneaky cheatin' points for an element of one of the songs. 

10:  The last song is really infectious, but the jury will be deliberating on the first two for a bit I suspect. 

17:  There are a surprisingly high number of different components I like here, though there aren't quite as many of any of them in particular as I'd like. 

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Neither on TAC's. 

10:  The last song is really infectious, but the jury will be deliberating on the first two for a bit I suspect. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

6:  This is really hard to parse.  There are certainly elements I like here, but other elements I thought might be present are missing, the production is a bit rough, and I wonder if these are the right songs to have sent. 

7:  The non-metal facets of this are easily the strongest, but the metal ones and the production hold it back. 

8:  Now this is going to take some getting used to, I feel like I'm in one of those dreams where everything's a little off, but you can't quite put your finger on what it is. 

11:  The key for some of the better submissions this round might be being adjacent to genres/artists I do like, and this one achieves that with a lush, beautiful and powerful sound. 

13:  There are some cool instrumental ideas here, but the growing array of types of vocals that vex me in this genre continues to frustrate me.   

16:  Getting the right balance of vocals that don't annoy me and guitar work that isn't overly fidgety seems to be a key for getting this style right, and this is one of the ones that comes closest to nailing it. 

Am I at least in this group somewhere?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
No idea.

1, 6 or 7?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
TAC, yes. 

Evermind, No. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
11 or 16, please. ;D

Offline SoundscapeMN

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Nope. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oof. My score is going down by the guess.

I'll say 7.

If not, just out me out of my misery.

Offline HOF

1 or 17?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's bad enough that Litho robbed me of every decent impression. Now he's signed off and I'm left hanging. :lol

Online twosuitsluke

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Pretty sure I'm 3.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Either 6 or 18

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
It's bad enough that Litho robbed me of every decent impression. Now he's signed off and I'm left hanging. :lol

I know, it sucks that our fake offline lives interfere with our real online ones, doesn't it?  :p

Pretty sure I'm 3.

Indeed. 

Unfortunately so. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Which one is mine? I'm all guessed out. ;D

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

2:  Did someone sneak The Mars Volta in again? 

aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Which one is mine? I'm all guessed out. ;D

I often find it beneficial to sit on them for a bit.  In other roulettes I'll come back hours/a day later and sometimes it'll stand out then, having subconsciously mulled it over some. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I mulled mine over, and I was wrong on all counts. :lol