Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 117030 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Litho, question about some of the upcoming rounds..

Is the Pre 90's round just one song, or one artist for 15 minutes?

and

the EP..any guidelines on this?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
So I've kind of been in a dilemma.  Over the past half-year I've read the whole tracker thread and skimmed parts of a bunch of different roulettes, so while I'm sure there's still plenty I'm behind on relative to other roulette vets, I have a much better sense of their evolution now than I did when I jumped in blind to 425's, or even when I started this one.  I can see that the original idea seemed to be to get a song from half a dozen different people, listen to each a time or two, and quickly give a score/ranking in the next day or two.  But it has evolved a lot since then, with various hosts turning it into more of an art form, doing all kinds of different interesting things with them over time. 

But it seemed that even relatively recently there'd still been something of an expectation that generally rounds would take a week or so, so I entered in a historically somewhat unusual period last summer/fall where all of the active roulettes were running a bit longer, to be generous.  :-)  So my initial expectations were set a bit differently about how they worked, and I thought perhaps I would try and push the pace a bit.  Well, pretty quickly I discovered that I don't think speed is really my comparative advantage.  I've been trying instead to go for depth, with more listens, some research, and more detailed writeups.  I could go faster, but I'd enjoy it less, because it would mean cutting back on one or more of those categories. 

But still, circumstances have changed a bit since I started.  By the time I was into the second or third round, there was only one other active roulette and no waiting list.  Now there are two others currently running and a waiting list of three.  Granted, two of those are nearing the end.  And I did want to have this roulette be a bit larger, partially to make up for missing out on years of roulettes before I returned to the forum, and also figuring a way to make some of my own submissions be part of the roulette itself.  But still, I want to try and be considerate to the waiting list, especially since I know a number of people have talked about possibly doing one later this year that aren't even on the official list yet, and we only usually run three of these at a time. 

So ideally, I would keep those upcoming rounds at the 15:00 time like the open rounds have been.  But I've been increasingly considering whether I should knock them down to 10:00, or even be single song, so this roulette doesn't take over half a year to complete.  I'm less concerned about my own endurance than trying everyone else's patience.  So any thoughts on all of this are welcome. 

As for the final round EP, I don't know if you have any specific questions, since I've already talked a bit about it in earlier rounds when it's come up, and I still don't know myself what I want the final details to be - but essentially I'm just looking for up 45 minutes, no more than a third from any one artist, and I'll be taking structure and flow into consideration more than I have for the open rounds so far (which has really not been at all, per se). 

And I guess while we're at it, I should give an update that I have drafts of well over half the writeups done, so while this round has been a bit slower again, I'm still making steady progress on it. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I've no issue with the pace in this roulette which has been pretty good. It's a LOT of rounds, but none of the rounds feel like they've taken too long.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

As for the final round EP, I don't know if you have any specific questions

Would you allow artists that have been included in this roulette before (obviously different songs)?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I've no issue with the pace in this roulette which has been pretty good. It's a LOT of rounds, but none of the rounds feel like they've taken too long.
Same.

I also have been enjoy the more detailed write ups, so if they take a bit longer, that's ok by me. In terms of length, I don't think I sent anything overly long yet, so pushing the limit down to 10 mins is also find by me.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Yea dude, you're fine. I was grateful people on here had the patience to put up with my abysmally slow pace, so you're absolutely fine. Especially as your writeups are so detailed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I've kind of been in a dilemma.  Over the past half-year I've read the whole tracker thread and skimmed parts of a bunch of different roulettes, so while I'm sure there's still plenty I'm behind on relative to other roulette vets, I have a much better sense of their evolution now than I did when I jumped in blind to 425's, or even when I started this one.  I can see that the original idea seemed to be to get a song from half a dozen different people, listen to each a time or two, and quickly give a score/ranking in the next day or two.  But it has evolved a lot since then, with various hosts turning it into more of an art form, doing all kinds of different interesting things with them over time. 

But it seemed that even relatively recently there'd still been something of an expectation that generally rounds would take a week or so, so I entered in a historically somewhat unusual period last summer/fall where all of the active roulettes were running a bit longer, to be generous.  :-)  So my initial expectations were set a bit differently about how they worked, and I thought perhaps I would try and push the pace a bit.  Well, pretty quickly I discovered that I don't think speed is really my comparative advantage.  I've been trying instead to go for depth, with more listens, some research, and more detailed writeups.  I could go faster, but I'd enjoy it less, because it would mean cutting back on one or more of those categories. 

But still, circumstances have changed a bit since I started.  By the time I was into the second or third round, there was only one other active roulette and no waiting list.  Now there are two others currently running and a waiting list of three.  Granted, two of those are nearing the end.  And I did want to have this roulette be a bit larger, partially to make up for missing out on years of roulettes before I returned to the forum, and also figuring a way to make some of my own submissions be part of the roulette itself.  But still, I want to try and be considerate to the waiting list, especially since I know a number of people have talked about possibly doing one later this year that aren't even on the official list yet, and we only usually run three of these at a time. 

So ideally, I would keep those upcoming rounds at the 15:00 time like the open rounds have been.  But I've been increasingly considering whether I should knock them down to 10:00, or even be single song, so this roulette doesn't take over half a year to complete.  I'm less concerned about my own endurance than trying everyone else's patience.  So any thoughts on all of this are welcome. 

As for the final round EP, I don't know if you have any specific questions, since I've already talked a bit about it in earlier rounds when it's come up, and I still don't know myself what I want the final details to be - but essentially I'm just looking for up 45 minutes, no more than a third from any one artist, and I'll be taking structure and flow into consideration more than I have for the open rounds so far (which has really not been at all, per se). 

And I guess while we're at it, I should give an update that I have drafts of well over half the writeups done, so while this round has been a bit slower again, I'm still making steady progress on it.

Jeez..ask a simply question... :lol

First off, your pace is just fine. There's a lot of participants and there's a lot of music to comb through each round. As a participant in a roulette, I appreciate it if the host is engaged which you clearly are. It may not be realistic to turn around some of these rounds in a week.

To me, if someone hosts a roulette, they make a commitment to run it relatively efficiently. There are waiting lists and you have participants that a host has an obligation to.
Obviously things come up in people's lives, and people are understanding of that. Over the past year, it seems that some the hosts have been... I don't know..not engaged.

As far as the Waiting List, my roulette will be completed likely by next Wednesday, but absolutely no later than Friday. So someone will be moving up a slot.

I was asking because I spent a little time thinking about me EP and Pre 90's round last night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
As for the final round EP, I don't know if you have any specific questions
Would you allow artists that have been included in this roulette before (obviously different songs)?

My current thought is that any artist I've scored less than 8.0 is fair game.  Also in round 11 I'll temporarily lift the ban on artists submitted early in the roulette if someone wants to take another crack at any artist I already checked out here.  The caveat will be that it can't be one you yourself submitted earlier.  But if you think you have a better set of songs for an artist I scored 7.75 or below that someone else already submitted, that's fine for those two rounds. 

Jeez..ask a simply question... :lol

Well, I've been thinking about it periodically for awhile now and increasingly in the last month or so, your question just brought it back to the surface, and I feel better now having gotten it off my chest.  :)

First off, your pace is just fine.

You're the person I most wanted to hear this from.  :)  There are a few other people I kind of wanted to be in the roulette that aren't in it, but are also at times a bit more on the impatient end of things, which makes me a bit nervous.  If they're lurking they might know who they are.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Harassing a host is usually just banter on my part. But there were a couple of roulettes where the rounds were taking way too long, and frankly, it's harder to stay engaged if I don't feel the host is engaged.

Offline Nachtmerrie

Yea dude, you're fine. I was grateful people on here had the patience to put up with my abysmally slow pace, so you're absolutely fine. Especially as your writeups are so detailed.

+1 for the detailed writeups.

Also: 15 on the impressions??

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Ok, getting a lot closer to results now.  Irony of all ironies, I've been having some writer's block on a few of these, and they might wind up being shorter and less-detailed than I wanted.  This is looking to be the second-highest scoring round so far though.  I just need to finish editing all the writeups, lock down the scores, and sort out all the administrative details and such.  Probably results tomorrow night.  Filled-out impressions in the meantime. 

Round 7 Early Impressions:

1:  HOF - Sweet Billy Pilgrim - The second half is fairly repetitive and goes on for quite awhile.  Good thing I like it. 

2:  Elite - Foscor - In a more perfect world this would be the kind of music rock radio would play. 

3:  TAC - Dreamgrave - This is all over the place, but in a way that appeals to me. 

4:  Crow - Midnight Odyssey - I like the spaciousness of the atmosphere, but the guitars have no weight to them. 

5:  Lethean - Voyager - This definitely captures some of the feeling of the third song. 

6:  Tomislav95 - DVNE - The synths are really cool when they appear, but they aren't present enough. 

7:  Sacul - Kayo Dot - The only thing I could remember about it were the tom rolls. 

8:  twosuitluke - Drewsif Stalin's Musical Endeavors - The guest vocals seem rather underutilized. 

9:  Evermind - Skein - The basic sound is pretty cool, but I'm not sure how memorable it's going to be. 

10:  ariich - Dissona - This is the metal version of a kid walking into a candy store. 

11:  Stadler - Replicants - I don't remember taking LSD, but I somehow must have. 

12:  Buddyhunter1 - Thy Catafalque - This song only has enough ideas to support half of its runtime. 

13:  soupytwist - Ancient Bards - I've heard many, many songs like this, but I couldn't help being pulled in by the end. 

14:  SoundscapeMN - The Warning - The instrumental arrangement is a bit bare-bones, but the vocals seem like they could be infectious. 

15:  senecadawg2 - Khôrada - It became unexpectedly epic in the middle, but might have gone on a minute or two too long. 

16:  Puppies_On_Acid - Chrome Waves - The harsh vocals might be holding this back some. 

17:  Vmadera00 - Forest of Shadows - This seems to have most of the right elements, but for some reason isn't clicking with me. 

18:  Nachtmerrie - Clouds - This is definitely the sound from the first song I'm looking for, but will this one grow on me? 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 12:55:41 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
7:  Sacul - Kayo Dot - The only thing I could remember about it were the tom rolls. 
fuck yeah :metal

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Stadler - Replicants - "Ibiza Bar"

Early Impression - "I don't remember taking LSD, but I somehow must have."

I don't think I've ever heard of this band, but I am a casual Pink Floyd fan, so I may have heard the original at some point, but it's not a song of theirs I knew well, certainly.  I did listen to it for comparison though.  Conceptually, it's an interesting idea, to take some classic songs and revitalize them for a newer era.  I can enjoy a good cover, either sticking fairly close to the original but adding a dash of a band's own flavor, or totally reworking the song in a thoughtful way.  But unfortunately, this seems to be the first true misfire from you, because it doesn't quite capture either the things I liked about Pink Floyd originally, or what can make the 90s alt rock bands unique in the musical ecoscape. 

So this group is comprised of members of Failure (a band I've heard some rave reviews about, but nothing from the limited amount I've sampled has stuck yet), and Paul D'Amour, formerly of Tool, one of my favorite bands, though more for the Justin Chancellor era. 

The intro is rather clever, both incorporating a heartbeat, as Dark Side of the Moon does, plus a sample of an orchestra tuning to A440, which is hardly a novel trick, but both together is a bit different.  The ending is also rather unique, with the audience applause gradually turning into static.  The baby cry might be another reference of sorts (perhaps a track on The Wall?, or possibly another ending of a PF song/album), but I'm not quite a big enough fan of theirs to be certain. 

Perhaps one of the elements that they replicate (wait, did I really just type that?) is how PF were integral in bringing more atmosphere and audio manipulation into rock, that you could do more with the texture of notes and sound in a studio environment.  More specifically, my favorite thing about it is easily that psychedelic tremolo guitar chording that propels much of the song.  I've always loved effects pedals on guitar, and that is a really cool sound.  It seems blended at times with another track of more normal clean electric strumming, which gives it a bit more bite through the chord changes so it's not just an amorphous cloud. 

The more lead-ish reversed guitar bits are all over the place, both in the stereo spectrum, and in how they alter my enjoyment of it.  At times they add a bit of spice, and in other moments they might go a bit too much into the realm of atonal-ish noisy noodling for me.  I'm not generally a fan of noise rock or adjacent styles, though I admittedly haven't heard a ton of them, but as I've noted in various earlier writeups, those sorts of elements generally only work for me in limited doses to accent an otherwise already well-working track, and this wasn't quite to that point yet, as I'll go into further. 

The vocals are also a bit of a challenge.  They've always been one of my least-favorite aspects of Pink Floyd, and here they kind of mimic that descending pitch fall-off that PF does a lot, and it doesn't really work any better for them.  The organ in the background is a tad bland, but it's not that prominent, and without it the track would be even more sparse, which would likely be to its detriment.  Given that the original is a full-band arrangement, I'm curious about their decision to strip it back so much, and whether other covers on this album are like that.  It just seems a bit long to plod along as it does without drums and not much in the way of dynamics, which was one thing that alternative rock bands tended to excel at. 

Score:  6.75/10

---

Puppies_On_Acid - Chrome Waves - "A Grief Observed"

Early Impression - "The harsh vocals might be holding this back some."

Instrumentally, this tune is pretty solid.  I love the sound of the synthesizer filter sweeps in the opening, and the violin throughout creates a beautiful atmosphere.  I wish it was used for a bit more than mostly just held note drones, but it does elevate the song a bit.  The clean-ish chorused guitar tones have a nice texture to them, and the short melodic leads like at 1:39 and other spots are nice.  I also like the cymbal work on the ride, bell, and China in the section at 5:15. 

But the vocals unfortunately aren't doing much for me.  The cleans are alright, but the harshes just aren't really the type I like, they're too much in the hardcore-influenced direction for my palate. 

Score:  7/10

---

Crow - Midnight Odyssey - "From a Frozen Wasteland"

Early Impression - "I like the spaciousness of the atmosphere, but the guitars have no weight to them."

I'm starting to suspect that you have no end to the variety of different ways your submissions are going to challenge my tastes.  They're mostly not scoring that well, but they are certainly making me think more deeply and in different ways about why I do and don't like various musical elements, which is useful in its own right.  So now the challenge isn't noisiness or hard to swallow vocals, but length, cohesion, and guitar tones.  I've heard one Midnight Odyssey album before, and it was alright, but didn't entice me to explore any further.  Conceptually, the idea of the general genre of the band is intriguing.  I like some ambient music, and I love space and cosmic themes. 

As I've noted a number of times, it's fairly rare for a song much past 10:00 to be an enduring favorite of mine.  I'm not entirely sure why, if I try and deconstruct it.  There are plenty of full albums I love, and those are quite often more than a half-hour in duration, sometimes well over an hour.  My times of actually sitting down for that full duration and doing nothing but listening to the album are pretty nonexistent though, even less so nowadays than in the past.  Part of the fun of this roulette has been forcing myself to do nothing but listen to the songs and take notes for the first three plays. 

I think maybe the challenge is the unit of consumption.  It's a bit easier to just listen to a few songs at a time, having the ability to pick back up on the next track later if necessary than it is to just pause at a specific timestamp and resume later in a single song.  But I have no issue doing that with podcasts, long-form videos and such, so it may be some kind of mental block, I'm not sure. 

I just have to wonder how much more digestible this would be as 4-5 separate movements, or even just a couple.  As it is, it's also challenging to give it as much time as other songs in the roulette.  While I did listen to it a fair number of times, I'm not sure I've quite reached the dozen+ I usually try to go for.  22 minutes is just a big meal to take in all at once, since I prefer listening to it when I can hear it in full to properly contextualize it. 

So more specifically about the song itself, I really like how it begins - the first four minutes or so have a great ambient vocal quality, and I could probably enjoy a whole album of just that if done well.  Honestly, the key probably helps a bit too.  The second quarter of the song is just ok, but it introduces probably my biggest problem, which is that guitar tone.  It's just such a thin, staticy sound, and it's ubiquitous among many second wave, raw black metal, and other atmospheric black metal bands I've checked out.  I mostly like chunkier guitar sounds, and this one bugs me.  The closest I come to liking them is in the section starting at 8:28.  For the next minute or so they have this fascinating digital oscillating grind to them that is actually kind of piquant. 

The guitar work also puts it into a weird realm, where it's a bit too abrasive a sound to make for effective ambient music, but it's too weak (and without drums at this point) to have the power of good metal.  The third quarter of the song improves a bit, although once the drums enter it continues to exist in that liminal space of being way too intense and frantic to be properly atmospheric, but there is so much reverb that the murkiness keeps the metallic aspect from being hard-hitting and punchy enough.  Conceptually I love the idea of combining metal with more atmosphere, but I find it much easier to execute in death-doom or even some prog/djent-adjacent material than in black metal.  Although I do have a few other potential candidates to try out in your next roulette, assuming I don't get bounced in a prelim.  14:23 is probably the high point of the song for me, with the most epic feeling, though the guitars continue to hold it back. 

---

Buddyhunter1 - Thy Catafalque - "Molekuláris Gépezetek"

Early Impression - "This song only has enough ideas to support half of its runtime."

Well, so here we have another super-long song.  I suppose you could apply some of my same qualms with this type of tune from Midnight Odyssey to this one as well.  I guess this one of the ways that I'm less of a prog fan than some people here, because I know you guys seem to eat these up, but they rarely connect with me as much.  A lot of my favorite songs are more in the 5-10 minute range, with a smaller but decent number a few minutes over that, but I historically haven't had much success with durations longer than that.  I've been willing to explore them some in this roulette, but so far nothing has really changed my paradigm there yet.  But this song is also challenging for somewhat different reasons. 

I've heard a bit of Tamás' work before.  There was some hype about him back in the mid-00s, and between that and curiosity about the odd name I know I listened to at least one album at the time and remember liking it, but it wasn't something I came back to.  Fast forward well over a decade and I decided to dip my toes back in with Naiv, which made me question my memories of his earlier work a bit because of its flaws.  Then Vadak resonated with me a bit more, but what I'm hearing in this track is a tad closer to Naiv, which had a lot of interesting ideas, but felt half-baked. 

Going along with the length, I think one of the challenges of auteurs like him that are primarily responsible for much of what you hear on the album is that at times he's badly in need of an editor or outside voice.  There is a better 10-minute song buried in here, but he lets some of these ideas run for too long.  And as with Midnight Odyssey, this song is a lot to take in, so it's harder to get in quite as many listens compared to others in the roulette, which hampers it from having as much of a chance to grow on me. 

The drums are pretty obviously programmed, which is quite common with these types of projects, and while they sound ok, I always tend to wonder, particularly for projects that have been going on for as long as this one has, why he couldn't wait a bit longer and hire someone to perform them, which would have a better chance at elevating the material.  The drums sound best near the ending, which has more of an industrial metal feel, so the synthetic quality is more amenable to that vibe. 

But this plagues other elements as well.  For example, that saxophone motif that pops up at 8:41 and other spots is kind of a cool melody, but it's so blatantly unnatural-sounding that it really detracts from my enjoyment of it.  Especially when some of the other instruments in that section are much better handled.  The sine wave-ish synth sounds cool, and the violin and clarinet in that part are actually played, which helps a lot.  And then the guest vocals are great. 

And unfortunately, that whole middle portion of the song from a little before 6 minutes to a little after 15 is just way too long for what it accomplishes.  There are a few captivating segments scattered about it, but so much of it is either highly repetitive or just feels like filler without much progression.  Maybe it would sound better in an altered state of being.  It's paradoxical, because in ways it feels like not enough is happening, and in other ways particularly with the first and last quarters of the song added back in, it feels like he's just throwing in every idea he can think of, including the kitchen sink, and not quite enough of it really lands. 

There are elements I enjoyed more though.  For example, the bass solo at 3:00 is pretty cool.  The rim clacking at 14:34 is nice.  I like the guitar tone at 4:16, and while it probably wouldn't work as a rhythm tone, it is effective for that type of part.  There is an tasty melody at 1:33, probably from a synthesizer, but it's regrettably buried too much in the mix.  The aquatic sound textures in the section starting at 5:49 are pretty delightful.  I enjoy the timbre of the one at 7:40 as well, and the sparkling pad on the left at 8:57.  The one at 7:09 simultaneously makes me feel like playing a fantasy video game, and also sounds kind of like the instrumental middle of Type O Negative's "Red Water (Christmas Mourning)". 

---

Vmadera00 - Forest of Shadows - "Self Inflicted Torment"

Early Impression - "This seems to have most of the right elements, but for some reason isn't clicking with me."

On paper, I should enjoy this more.  A Swedish doom band, a low tuning, solid growled vocals mixed with some cleans, occasional acoustic guitar, a few melodic leads, audible bass playing, and a lot of Mellotron throughout.  The clean vocals are a bit weird but oddly comforting, sounding a tad like a cross between Mikael Stanne and Tom G. Warrior.  And running through them through a Leslie speaker at 0:29 is an intriguing effect. 

So this song was a bit of an enigma to me.  It seems to have most of the right ingredients, but it just didn't all quite come together for me and wasn't quite memorable enough.  Maybe it's just not the right song from the artist, because the combination of everything else makes me think there's a higher possibility for me to like something from them than most entries that typically score in this range.  I could say it felt a bit overlong for the amount of different ideas it has, but I suspect if I liked the ideas more I wouldn't mind marinating in them for longer.  The Mellotron is an especially unusual timbre to have in this type of song, so maybe another tune with it but which focused on the lower range of the tuning more would hit better. 

It looks like at least on this album, this is a one-man-band.  Conceptually I should like that a lot more, given that I'm a multi-instrumentalist myself.  And while listening to it, it's not obvious that it's all coming from one person.  But for some reason it's pretty rare for projects coming from a single individual to be my favorites.  It just seems there's some ineffable chemistry that's often lost in that setting, and it generally sounds better when you have contrasting ideas from multiple people happening simultaneously, at least for my tastes.  I don't know, when something isn't quite working, I start looking to more tentative possible explanations like that to try and make sense of things. 

Score:  7.25/10

---

twosuitluke - Drewsif Stalin's Musical Endeavors - "Mirage"

Early Impression - "The guest vocals seem rather underutilized."

And the winner for the weirdest band name of the round goes to...  I can see why he just goes as DSME or Drewsif now, the full name is kind of cringey and probably concocted after a night of way too much fun.  But the music is what's most important for me anyway.  I'd heard a few of his tunes in the past, including this one, but hadn't really spent much time on them yet (maybe because of the name?, hmm...these sorts of bands have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot in that fashion). 

A lot of people on this forum and elsewhere in music super-fandom seem to be over and done with anything too djent-related, but honestly I still enjoy it quite a bit when it's done well, as it is here.  The opening drum figure is pretty cool, and pretty well-programmed.  The Anup Sastry drum cover of an early demo of this is fun to watch as well, it's too bad he couldn't have hired him to record it originally, since Anup has done great work for a lot of similar bands. 

As the impression notes, Nikki seems underused for just a 20-second interlude and some backing harmony vocals.  I think it's a case of expectations, when a guest vocalist is listed as being featured, I generally anticipate they're going to be incorporated more.  Drew's voice is ok, and doesn't knock the score down any, but it's not quite strong or rich enough on its own compared to the best bands in this style, though certainly much more listenable than the worst exponents of it.  The growls might be a smidge better than the cleans. 

That transition at 3:44 from piano to the heavy riff and guitar harmonies is a lot of fun.  And then I love how much mileage he gets out of the tapping harmony riff starting at 4:32, starting with the slow filter sweep, having another guitar harmony become more prominent for a bit at 4:39, and then that slicer effect at 5:11 is thrilling. 

Score:  7.75/10

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Tomislav95 - DVNE - "SÍ-XIV"

Early Impression - "The synths are really cool when they appear, but they aren't present enough."

This was another one that grew on me a decent amount over time - even when trying to finalize the scores I started to dig it a bit more while listening to it again and bumped it up a notch.  I've heard a few of their tracks before, most notably because I heard a lot of buzz about them in the last album cycle.  Nothing stood out enough to make me want to check out a full album at the time though. 

Regarding the impression, I did notice a bit more synth work throughout on later listens, but I suppose the intro did make me think it might be highlighted more frequently.  It's a bit of a common frustrating trope when bands have cool synthesizer intros and then they mostly disappear for the rest of the song.  I love how they gradually open the frequency cutoff filter in this one in the intro and the timbre slowly becomes brighter.  The rapid slicer effect on the synths at 4:29 is another nice touch. 

There are also a lot of cool guitar feedback textures in the intro as well - they are fairly adept at utilizing longer tones for ambiance, and they're also quite effective later such as with the E-bow solo at 4:26.  3:08 has a fun harmony riff.  5:53 is another rather exhilarating phrygian dominant riff, especially with the guitar effect, I adore how thickly it saturates it, easily the higlight of the song. 

The bass is pretty audible throughout, which is always nice.  2:51 is a tasty drum fill.  And this is also another song with the reverse tom panning trick that I'm surprised how frequently I'm spotting now, such as at 2:51. 

Score:  8/10

---

Elite - Foscor - "De Marges i Matinades"

Early Impression - "In a more perfect world this would be the kind of music rock radio would play."

The first minute of this with some of the note choices and the vocal timbre really gave me some 00s post-grunge vibes, but executed in a more interesting way.  Guitar-wise, I particularly enjoy the contrast of the held arpeggios in the verse from the left guitar with the muted picking of the right guitar.  That's a great tone for that type of part.  Drum-wise, I also continue to enjoy offbeat ride bell work like in that section as well.  Or the slower offbeat China at 5:49, which gives a similar effect. 

The bandoneon at 3:29 is another surprising touch, but it's quite effective.  Part of me was wondering if there would be a more traditional guitar solo, and I was initially a bit underwhelmed at the more chordal and sustained melody style of it, but I eventually became acclimated to it, and the chord textures at 4:21 and tapping lick at 5:31 are cool enough anyway. 

---

Evermind - Skein - "Rapier"

Early Impression - " The basic sound is pretty cool, but I'm not sure how memorable it's going to be."

The bass playing is pretty nice, with a cool fuzzy tone and some independent lines, sometimes playing in a higher register in the verses.  I like the interaction between it and the two different but interlocking lines from the guitars as well. 

I kind of knew I had an E-bow addiction, but this roulette is really confirming it, like with the lines at 3:45.  I guess it makes sense, as it's a method to achieve a tone halfway in-between an electric guitar and a violin.  And this track has even more fun with it, incorporating two separate parts for them in either ear in various sections. 

The harmony vocals at 7:52 add a lot, with some creative choices of complementary lines.  I was really not at all expecting those few lines of growled vocals near the end, but it serendipitously added some extra intensity to the song, making it feel like a more climactic journey. 

---

senecadawg2 - Khôrada - "Ossify"

Early Impression - "It became unexpectedly epic in the middle, but might have gone on a minute or two too long."

It's curious that this is a splinter group from Agalloch, since Agalloch is another band that for some reason even though they get rave reviews from a lot of people with broadly similar taste to me, have yet to click.  But this is quite different-sounding from what I can recall though. 

This song took awhile to make sense of, there's so much going on in it.  It almost sounded like a totally different track the second time through.  The opening is really tantalizing, the synths on it remind me of Disasterpeace's score to It Follows, one of my favorite film scores.  2:44 also has a nice synthesizer sine wave lead on the right. 

The first riff of the song has such an infectious feel to it, which is surprising with such a simple seesawing kick/snare pattern, though also integrating a few snare ghost notes, and the bounce of that super-downtuned riff and pinch harmonics.  The percussive second guitar riff at 0:45 is really complementary as well.  I also like the chorused tone of the left guitar at 1:14.  3:32 is another rather salient guitar tone, probably from a wah pedal, but it's emphasizing the overtones in an unconventional but compelling way.  It also returns at 8:04, but this time over a different riff, which completely alters the feel in an intriguing fashion.

5:56 is a short but nice harmony line, which leads into the tremolo line on the left (eventually two layers of it), and the song at this point was feeling quite epic.  I suppose initially I thought that the song was nearly over near the 7-minute mark, but it still keeps going for a bit.  At first it felt anticlimactic, but now being used to it the length feels fine.  Also, 10:55 is a fun trick of turning up the rate knob on an effects pedal to get it to squelch out. 

In terms of drumming, 4:20 is a really enjoyable section with the guitar pick slide leading into a nice tom groove.  8:20 threw me off at first, because I'm not used to hearing that 6/8 rhythm overlayed with a thrash meat beat/slow blast outside of something like In Flames' "Food For the Gods", so it's an somewhat unexpected but nostalgic sound. 

The vocals are really unusual-sounding, and after many listens in I'm still not sure what to make of them, and whether they remind me of someone.  The nice thing about more baritone-range vocals for me is that even if I can't quite make sense of them they're less likely to detract from my enjoyment of an artist than some of the higher falsetto-range vocals of earlier rounds, which I tend to be pickier about. 

---

Nachtmerrie - Clouds - "In the Ocean of My Tears"

Early Impression - "This is definitely the sound from the first song I'm looking for, but will this one grow on me?"

This is a band that came onto my radar a couple years ago when their latest album was released and I enjoyed it, and I'd also given a cursory listen to a few other tunes of theirs, including this one, but they were in danger of being neglected if I didn't have a specific reason to listen to them more.  They certainly check a lot of boxes for me in falling into the type of music I've been increasingly drawn towards a lot in the past decade or so.  And I'm not intimately familiar with all of Natalie's work and guest appearances, but I have heard Shape of Despair, Depressed Mode, and Collapse of Light, so she's a somewhat familiar voice. 

The intro is pretty unique with the pan flute.  I definitely wasn't expecting it, and wasn't sure what to make of it at first, but it has grown on me some.  I wish they'd used real cello instead of the keyboard patch (the vibrato is noticeably artificial), particularly given that there is real violin credited for other tracks, but it's a small and background enough element to not harm it too much.  Although, it does seem to go on a bit long, particularly after checking out a live version where Natalie does some Lisa Gerrard-esque vocalizations over part of it, which helped break it up more.  I like that they bring back the pan flute in over the band near the end as well, so it's not just isolated to the intro. 

I also savored the false ending right after the 7-minute mark, where the guitars were allowed to ring out for a few seconds (a technique which not enough metal subgenres allow to happen very often), and then the track picks back up.  I also enjoy the use of multi-tracking to achieve a choral sound starting around 8:08, which is impressively large-sounding for just a multi-tracked single vocalist. Overall, I didn't find the vocal melody quite as addictive as I hoped it might be, but the atmosphere and overall feel is solid enough.  The guitar tone is also pretty full and thick.  And while funeral doom isn't generally a genre you think of for interesting drum fills, but the one at 7:38 is pretty nice. 

---

SoundscapeMN - The Warning - "Animosity"

Early Impression - "The instrumental arrangement is a bit bare-bones, but the vocals seem like they could be infectious."

This is yet another band I kept hearing mentioned a lot lately, so I was kind of hoping they'd eventually show up in this roulette, and here they are.  I think I may have checked out a song or two previously, but don't recall them.  Interestingly, this is probably your most straightforward submission yet, but it still works quite well.  Overall it's just a very solid and catchy tune. Everywhere on the internet this seems to be getting called hard rock with some alt rock and post-grunge elements (possibly just the album overall).  Maybe it's just me, but I can't help hearing a hint of punk as well with the higher tempo and energy, prominent driving bass, guitar octave melodies and midranged palm-muted rhythms, and some of the edge in the vocals. 

It reminds me a bit of The Donnas, but with much better vocals and songwriting, though not quite as good of guitar work and tones.  That's really the main thing this could use to put it over the top - a slightly beefier guitar tone, and maybe a nice solo in the middle.  I don't know if they just didn't think this song needed one, or if that just isn't in their wheelhouse.  The drumming is pretty competent, though it stands out least among the elements here, although the splash cymbals such as at 0:43 are a nice touch, and quite underutilized in more uptempo tunes like this one.   

---

Lethean - Voyager - "As the City Takes the Night"

Early Impression - "This definitely captures some of the feeling of the third song."

When I made my as of yet unrevealed list for the upcoming round 11, I knew there was a good chance I would get a decent number of them well before that round.  Voyager is yet another of those, where I'd heard a few songs here and there and was starting to be enticed, but just had never gotten around even to a full album to explore them further.  Well, I'm glad they're in this round, because they're clearly another band I need to look further into. 

The guitar tone is pretty modern and processed, but I enjoy that type of sound, and it works well for this sort of song.  I also really like that first higher guitar riff at 0:43.  The second verse might be the coolest, starting with the bass highlight, and then the stuttering guitar parts ping-ponging back and forth in the stereo spectrum, and the drumming is pretty entrancing in that section as well. 

I'm really curious about some of their other tunes now, because I'd thought they were supposed to be a more electronic-oriented band in their style, somewhat akin to VOLA, but other than some of the piano and a bit or two here and there most of the electronic elements are pads and smaller parts just kind of burbling in the background.  I'm a sucker for nice piano intros and/or outros though, as this one has. 

Also, even the vocals have some fun manipulation on them though, like the effect at 4:32.  That actually leads into probably my favorite sequence of the song with the way it continues to build, particularly when it reaches the double-time chorus for some extra energy, and then that triplet riff at 5:51 to decelerate into the ending. 

Score:  8.25/10

---

Sacul - Kayo Dot - "And He Built Him a Boat"

Early Impression - "The only thing I could remember about it were the tom rolls."

This was definitely a song that grew on me a lot after the first play, more than a full point.  I'd have to look back more carefully through all my past initial scores, but it's probably the most or second most a song has grown on me from the first to the second listen and beyond. 

Kayo Dot and anything associated with Toby Driver like maudlin of the Well, Tartar Lamb and such was really revered back in the mid-late 00s among other music connoisseurs.  I listened to a number of those albums back then, but I don't think I was ready for them at the time.  I still have them sitting on a hard drive somewhere, but hadn't listened to those albums since then.  I did listen to their latest release a couple times when it came out and was pleasantly surprised that they sounded better than I recalled the early albums being, but they still didn't stick for me. 

Though they're in quite different genres, I wonder if this could be another example like Converge where it's a band that I checked out way too early and didn't think they were for me, but now in reevaluation I like them much more, at least some of their work.  I also curious if this is the more accessible end of their material, and perhaps I might appreciate that side of them, but could struggle with anything weirder they do. 

Overall this song just has a really cool feel to it.  Obviously from my impression those speedy sextuplet tom rolls were rather distinctive, but the drums throughout sound quite good, including the slower tom beats as well in the verses.  It also has a milder version of the reverse panning of the toms I've mentioned in some other writeups in earlier rounds, which gives a rather unique sound to them. 

The guitars sound quite tasty as well, particularly at 3:02 with the tremolo picking, or like in the opening - I love that sort of post-rock-esque guitar tone even if the genre overall can be iffier for me.  I also really treasure the choral vocals throughout the middle of the song, both on their own and in how they interact in a call and response fashion with Toby. 

Even though I do still recommend sending studio versions of songs, I quite often look for and listen to quality live recordings of these songs when I can as well to see how differently they come across in that environment.  And with this particular song it made me notice that the keyboards on this track are quite buried in most of the studio recording.  The guitars and vocals don't work as well live, but it did make me wish the keyboards here were closer to how they are live, with some rather intriguing patches in spots.  Noticing this doesn't harm the score here, I'm just always looking for how a song could be even better. 

---

HOF - Sweet Billy Pilgrim - "Slingshot Grin"

Early Impression - "The second half is fairly repetitive and goes on for quite awhile.  Good thing I like it."

So I had listened a few times to the songs of theirs that you sent in 425's roulette, and I didn't remember anything in particular standing out about them.  But this song just seems to have something a bit more special.  It's really two songs in one, with the rootsier rock feel of the first half, which is pretty cool in its own right.  Even the change from the verse to the chorus is quite striking, with the bluesy vocal melodies and major/minor key play leading to the more full but somewhat calmer chorus.  I especially enjoy the longer held notes where he gradually adds the operatic vibrato, such as at 0:18 and other spots. 

The second half is where it really hit me though.  Even as it becomes more homogenized in feel and is essentially just a vamp over a single root note, it just has a really relaxing and hypnotic soulful feel to it as it continues the vocal tradeoffs.  I particularly love how they bring back the original chorus melody at 4:08, but now over a different chord, which totally changes the vibe of it.  The horns coming in near the end was really the icing on the cake and made me look forward to coming back to it each time.  I'm really curious about the rest of the songs on the album now, because if there are others anywhere close to this one the current Rate Your Music rating for this is truly a travesty. 

---

soupytwist - Ancient Bards - "Light"

Early Impression - "I've heard many, many songs like this, but I couldn't help being pulled in by the end."

So this group is part of the Ayreon multi-verse, with Sara being on The Theory of Everything, which is unfortunately an album that I haven't gotten to really connect with me yet.  I know I checked out one Ancient Bards album, and thought it had potential, but hadn't been compelled to investigate them any further.  Part of it was that I read somewhere that they played 7-string guitars, which generally makes me excited.  My limited recollection of the album was that they weren't incorporated well enough on it, and didn't really provide the heaviness I tend to seek in power and symphonic metal.  But perhaps they're better at other sorts of songs, like this one.  They seem like they might be a bit like Visions of Atlantis in that regard, who aren't so great at their metal side, but have fantastic vocals of late since Clémentine Delauney joined. 

And well, this type of song certainly has the potential to go wrong and be unmemorable.  As I've mentioned in other writeups, keyboard emulations of orchestral instruments can be rather dicey, as bands try to sound more epic and grand, but sometimes I find them inauthentic and distracting.  Here, though they're a bit on the syrupy "Disney metal" side of symphonic metal, they don't bug me as much as they do with some other artists.  Part of it might be that they're layered with piano, which helps disguise them a bit. 

The arrangement on its own is nothing particularly original.  Most of the instrumentation is rather straightforward.  The bass is fairly present in the mix with a few fills, there are some nice snare ghost notes in the verse, and there's a short but sweet guitar solo later, but nothing that really moves the needle. 

But wow, the vocals.  Arjen in Ayreon always has had a knack for finding great ones, and I can see why he selected Sara.  A great vocal performance can often overcome a less invigorating musical accompaniment, and that's exactly what happens here.  I'm not sure if she got lost in the sea of vocals on The Theory of Everything, or washed out in the more driving power metal numbers on the album I heard, but Sara really shines here. 

The key change starting with the guitar solo was a bit unexpected, but grabbed my attention.  She doesn't even repeat the original chorus melody at all, but the vocal improvisations over the choral backing is just executed really well, and I can't help a bit of euphoria coming on each time it reaches the final refrains of this song.  I think that in a lot of ways I'm a pop music fan in metalhead/prog fan's clothing, and in being caught between those worlds my fondness for these sorts of songs when done well is difficult to suppress. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
ariich - Dissona - "Another Sky"

Early Impression - "This is the metal version of a kid walking into a candy store."

Well, you've sent your best song yet.  I hardly know where to begin, this one is just overloaded with coolness.  Outstanding drumming and guitar playing throughout, a variety of different types of vocals, some bass soloing, interesting bits of electronics throughout.  4:32 is especially intriguing, I can't think of anything else quite like that with the alternation between the growls and synth swells, guitar harmonies, and glitchy synth textures. 

They even get away with using some fake instrumentation from the keyboards better than most, with the sitar patch at 1:58 and other spots.  5:09 has cool guitar harp harmonics as well, that's not a technique I'm used to seeing in a metal band.  A good sign with this song and a couple of the other top ones of this round is that I'm not ready to let go of them yet.  As many times as I've listened to them, I still feel like I'm hearing new things each listen.  But apparently not as much as I'd thought I'd be writing.  I thought I'd have more to say, but hopefully the score is enough.  And this will certainly be one of the first artists I'll be checking out more from once this round is over. 

Score:  9/10

---

TAC - Dreamgrave - "Monuments"

Early Impression - "This is all over the place, but in a way that appeals to me."

And here we go, this might be your best entry yet as well.  It's so different from Ereb Altor that it's hard to compare.  This is the sort of quirky metal that just hits all the right marks for me.  It has so many different things going on from moment to moment in a way that some might find abrupt and disjointed, but for me keeps each listening session enthralling. 

It's in a sweet spot where it has enough unusual darker chord and melodic movements to make it more engrossing than stock prog metal bands, but steers enough away from the sort of Mr. Bungle-esque genre-hopping which can feel too frantic and random.  It reminds me more of bands I like such as Ram-Zet and Akphaezya, particularly with the violin for the former, and the subtle jazz influences of the latter.  "Dreamgrave" superficially sounds like kind of a corny name, and I guess it sort of is, but it oddly kind of suits their sound and works for me. 

I also love how it balances some of the odder and less melodic-sounding sections with catchier parts.  The passage at 3:09 is especially addicting.  Each instrument has its moment to shine at one point or another.  5:05 is particularly delectable for the bass.  I love the 3/2 triplet layering of the snare over the ride bell at 2:56.  That is one delicious triplet tom fill at 3:51 with the ping-ponging of how it's panned. 

And like Dissona, there's a lot of vocal variety to keep things engaging.  The upwardly cascading bit at 6:14 is especially enjoyable.  4:02 with the acoustics and 5:21 with the full band are relaxing and refreshing sections to give a bit of a break from the madness, and make for a perfect interlude before the intensity of the climax. 

Score:  9/10

---

Round 7 Scores:

ariich --------------------------------- 9
TAC ---------------------------------- 9
HOF --------------------------------- 8.25
Lethean ---------------------------- 8.25
Sacul ------------------------------ 8.25
soupytwist ----------------------- 8.25
Elite ----------------------------- 8
Evermind ---------------------- 8
Nachtmerrie ------------------ 8
senecadawg2 ---------------- 8
SoundscapeMN ------------- 8
Tomislav95 ---------------- 8
twosuitluke --------------- 7.75
Vmadera00 -------------- 7.25
Buddyhunter1 ---------- 7
Crow ------------------- 7
Puppies_On_Acid ----- 7
Stadler --------------- 6.75

---

Current Cumulative Standings (after 7 rounds):

SoundscapeMN ---------------- 57.75
Nachtmerrie -------------------- 56.75
TAC ------------------------------- 56.5
Evermind -------------------------- 56.25
ariich -------------------------------- 56
HOF ----------------------------------- 55.5
soupytwist ----------------------------- 55.5
Lethean --------------------------------- 55.25
senecadawg2 ---------------------------- 54.5
Stadler ---------------------------------- 53
Tomislav95 ---------------------------- 52.5
Sacul --------------------------------- 52
twosuitluke ------------------------- 51.75
Vmadera00 ------------------------ 51.75
Elite ------------------------------- 51.25
Puppies_On_Acid ---------------- 51.25
Buddyhunter1 ------------------ 50.75
Crow --------------------------- 46.25
romdrums -------------------- 14.25 (had to drop out after the second round)

---

Round Score Breakdown:

ariich:  7.75 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 8 + 8 + 9 = 56
Buddyhunter1:  7.5 + 6.5 + 7.75 + 7 + 8 + 7 + 7 = 50.75
Crow:  6 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.5 + 7 + 5 + 7 = 46.25
Elite:  6.5 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 8.5 + 7.25 + 6.75 + 8 = 51.25
Evermind:  7.75 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8.25 + 8 = 56.25
HOF:  9 + 9 + 6.5 + 7.25 + 8.5 + 7 + 8.25 = 55.5
Lethean:  7.75 + 8.25 + 7.5 + 7 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 8.25 = 55.25
Nachtmerrie:  8.25 + 9 + 6.75 + 9 + 7.75 + 8 + 8 = 56.75
Puppies_On_Acid:  8 + 7 + 6.75 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.75 + 7 = 51.25
romdrums:  7.25 + 7 + x + x + x + x + x = 14.25
Sacul:  7.25 + 8.75 + 6 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 6.75 + 8.25 = 52
senecadawg2:  8 + 7 + 8.5 + 6.75 + 8.25 + 8 + 8 = 54.5
SoundscapeMN:  8 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 8.5 + 8.75 + 7 + 8 = 57.75
soupytwist:  6.5 + 6.75 + 9 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.25 + 8.25 = 55.5
Stadler:  8.5 + 7.5 + 7 + 7 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 6.75 = 53
TAC:  8.25 + 8.25 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 7.25 + 7.5 + 9 = 56.5
Tomislav95:  7 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 7 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8 = 52.5
twosuitluke:  7.5 + 8.25 + 5.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7 + 7.75 = 51.75
Vmadera00:  7.25 + 7.75 + 8 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.75 + 7.25 = 51.75

---

I'll post the mystery songs for round 8 tomorrow. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol I: Variety & Reciprocity(R7 Results!)
« Reply #1697 on: March 26, 2023, 07:01:59 PM »

Dammit Ariich!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1698 on: March 26, 2023, 07:07:19 PM »
I'm all for a good highway song robbery.  Soundscape picked the wrong animal to send in R6 too, and soupy swooped in and flew off with the other. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 07:13:18 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1699 on: March 26, 2023, 07:39:08 PM »
I had it in my Litholist.

I mentioned that I was torn between sending one band or saving them for the next open round. I still have them ready to go. It wasn't Dissona though. I didn't think of them for this round, actually.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1700 on: March 26, 2023, 07:39:40 PM »
Solid result! It's an odd choice because I think most people who are fond of Agalloch found that album underwhelming; it's rare that I've had the opportunity to send it to someone who doesn't have as much positive baggage to look past.

On another note, I can't recommend Hubardo and Choirs of the Eye highly enough. I was definitely going to send something from CotE in the "change my mind" round.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1701 on: March 26, 2023, 07:44:20 PM »
I'm dreading the Mystery Songs. :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1702 on: March 26, 2023, 07:45:43 PM »
I had it in my Litholist.

I mentioned that I was torn between sending one band or saving them for the next open round. I still have them ready to go. It wasn't Dissona though. I didn't think of them for this round, actually.

I reviewed the play and there's no penalty, you already mentioned them a couple weeks ago.

Dissona-Another Sky

I added that very song to my Litho Roulette playlist on Spotify on Jan 22nd.  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1703 on: March 26, 2023, 07:48:19 PM »

I hoped you upgraded to a top of the line metal conversion kit 3D printer.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1704 on: March 26, 2023, 07:55:48 PM »

I hoped you upgraded to a top of the line metal conversion kit 3D printer.  :)

Gotta stop off at the store for some extra supplies I think for the next round.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1705 on: March 26, 2023, 08:44:53 PM »
Alright, I survived the last metal round! If you like Slingshot Grin I’m fairly confident you will like the Mortorcade Amnesiacs album. It’s a masterpiece. I also think if any one song by Sweet Billy Pilgrim doesn’t quite grab you, just keep listening to other stuff because what they do is so unique and unpredictable that there’s gonna be something that grabs you and it will tend to reveal the rest of what they do (at least that’s how it happened for me).

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1706 on: March 26, 2023, 08:55:04 PM »
Hah, you can always be TAC or Puppies and send metal in non-metal rounds.  You actually haven't sent any at all.  It's curious the crowd that DT draws, for an ostensibly metal band, they have a lot of fans who no longer or maybe never were into that side of them. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 12:19:17 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline HOF

« Reply #1707 on: March 26, 2023, 10:38:32 PM »
I went through a metal phase that coincided with when DT were my favorite band. But I never got that deep into it, and never really cared for anything especially heavy or extreme. I definitely have less interest in heavier music the older I get. There are still things I listen to and enjoy that are heavier, but it’s a relatively small percentage of what I listen to. Of the bands I know and like, very few would be unfamiliar to most roulette hosts around here, so I generally just don’t even try to send it.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1708 on: March 26, 2023, 10:38:39 PM »
Got close to that same score the last time I sent it in a roulette. Fair points, but not ones that I find relevant, myself. I like how long the middle section is because it's such a good section and it changes often enough to not get boring! And the whole song has such a unique, unnatural, almost alien atmosphere to it that harping on some instruments sounding obviously fake is kinda missing the point. That saxophone line is meant to be a loop - it wouldn't have been improved at all by being performed live.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1709 on: March 26, 2023, 11:13:36 PM »
Hah, you can always be TAC or Puppies and send metal in non-metal rounds.  You actually haven't send any at all.  It's curious the crowd that DT draws, for an ostensibly metal band, they have a lot of fans who no longer or maybe never were into that side of them.
Wait, I sent metal in a non metal round? :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1710 on: March 27, 2023, 01:54:41 AM »
I'm all for a good highway song robbery.  Soundscape picked the wrong animal to send in R6 too, and soupy swooped in and flew off with the other.

:)

I'd just point out Dirt Poor Robins are one of my favorite bands, been a fan for about 5 years......since I got introduced to them by Soundscapes thread on here ;D

Can't believe I did so well in this round, that was a total panic send after listening to those 3 songs and not having anything really that fitted the bill....

I think that in a lot of ways I'm a pop music fan in metalhead/prog fan's clothing

You and me both!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1711 on: March 27, 2023, 08:32:06 AM »
I'll take my score and remain comfy neat the bottom of the table.

I'm not particularly in love with DSME, or the song I sent, but I felt it fit the theme pretty well. The next round is another Mystery Song round?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1712 on: March 27, 2023, 10:35:25 AM »

:)

I'd just point out Dirt Poor Robins are one of my favorite bands, been a fan for about 5 years......since I got introduced to them by Soundscapes thread on here ;D

Can't believe I did so well in this round, that was a total panic send after listening to those 3 songs and not having anything really that fitted the bill....

thanks for mentioning it. I owe it to some of The Dear Hunter fans a guy on another message board telling me about them, but I feel like I'm still pretty new to them given they began recording more than 15 years ago.

I had thought about sending something from them, and likely would have eventually had you not Soupy. Although I likely would have submitted some different choices, but the tunes you did obviously did the job.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1713 on: March 27, 2023, 11:37:10 AM »
Damn, finally a good fucking score :metal

On another note, I can't recommend Hubardo and Choirs of the Eye highly enough.
This, I personally prefer Hubardo, but haven't revisited either in years tbh. I should fix that now I guess.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1714 on: March 27, 2023, 11:47:54 AM »
Got an 8 and still in the bottom half of the round, apparently a very strong round indeed :)

Bring the mystery songs on!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.