Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 119446 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, you have two active ones to get a better score out of it from.  :)

No chance they score anywhere decent with TAC. I might have some luck with Tomi though, he's young and hip  :rollin

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What's KGLW anyway?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

4th emoji one...? 6th text impressión...?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
What's KGLW anyway?
KingshmeGland Learns to Write (properly) :neverusethis:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online HOF

I’m afraid this round was so bad we killed Litho’s enthusiasm for music.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I’m afraid this round was so bad we killed Litho’s enthusiasm for music.
This is actual footage of Litho after the first listen:

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I've given up on music and taken up sculpting now.  You like?

No seriously, I've been working on the writeups, they're just taking awhile, as I suspected early on.  Doesn't help that there's been more offline stuff in the last few days as well.  I'll post the solved impressions later today for something else to distract everyone in the meantime though. 

Offline Tomislav95

Probably the 2nd impression :loser:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Here are the filled-out impressions.  Some of the emojis might be more self-explanatory than others. 

Round 6 Emojipressions:

1:  Stadler - Michael Schenker Group - :spitcoffee: 

2:  TAC - Euphoreon -  

3:  Tomislav95 - Arcane Roots -  

4:  Crow - the pAper chAse -  

5:  Evermind - Árstíðir - :biggrin: 

6:  Vmadera00 - Coheed & Cambria - :lol :lol 

7:  Lethean - Arcturus - :tup 

8:  Nachtmerrie - Karnivool -

9:  Sacul - Have a Nice Life -

10:  twosuitluke - Coheed & Cambria -   :slowclap: 

11:  ariich - Wormwood - :letam: 

12:  SoundscapeMN - Apes & Androids -

13:  Elite - Agent Fresco -  

14:  soupytwist - Dirt Poor Robins -

15:  senecadawg2 - Kauan -

16:  Puppies_On_Acid - Kardashev -

17:  HOF - Public Broadcasting Service -

18:  Buddyhunter1 - Chapel of Disease - :vomitard:

Round 6 Early Impressions:

1:  Vmadera00 - Coheed & Cambria - The guitar work is even better than I remember.  The vocals are not. 

2:  Crow - the pAper chAse - Now I know why people have eliminations.  ;-)

3:  soupytwist - Dirt Poor Robins - Are these tracks really all from the same artist?  And when in doubt, steal someone's band who's scoring more than you! 

4:  Puppies_On_Acid - Kardashev - This sounds like a backing track with half of the vocals missing. 

5:  HOF - Public Service Broadcasting - These songs are missing the film they're supposed to go with. 

6:  Tomislav95 - Arcane Roots - The first song feels like it repeats the same idea over and over while slowly turning the volume knob up and down. 

7:  Buddyhunter1 - Chapel of Disease - Clean, Dry Guitar Solos: The Final Frontier.  This straddles two quite different genres, but is missing the better elements of both. 

8:  Nachtmerrie - Karnivool - This might be a middling "safe" submission, which in this round could be all you need. 

9:  SoundscapeMN - Apes & Androids - Uh oh, did you get jinxed? 

10:  Elite - Agent Fresco - The drumming is fantastic.  The guitar tones and vocals are not.  And will I remember any of it? 

11:  Evermind - Árstíðir - The second song took this from pleasant background music to something a bit more special. 

12:  ariich - Wormwood - Did Dark Tranquillity do a black/folk metal side project I missed? 

13:  Stadler - Michael Schenker Group - Lighter on riffs than expected, but the solos deliver. 

14:  twosuitluke - Coheed & Cambria - You may have sent the wrong songs. 

15:  TAC - Euphoreon - I feel like I'm supposed to be riding a dragon and wielding my steel, but oh wait, now it's nighttime and rainy and I can't see where we're going! 

16:  senecadawg2 - Kauan - I love violin, but this one sounds fake. 

17:  Sacul - Have a Nice Life - You have probably overcompensated this round in one direction, but pushed it too far in the wrong direction on a different dimension. 

18:  Lethean - Arcturus - You're cheatin' hard and I love it. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Didn't guess the "pleasant background music" impression because with the first song, it gets a little intense in "Oh god" section. Although I may be biased because I'm very familiar with the song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, I thought some sad music would be a good idea, but seems I've made a huge mistake yet again :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Writeups are done.  Just need to finish editing them, tweak the scores, and iron out all the fine details and such.  Results tomorrow evening. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm ready for some Mystery Songs!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I'm ready for some Mystery Songs!

We'll see if you are.  :p 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
I have no idea what to take from that emoji - I guess it's not positive though?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Don't drive yourself crazy thinking about whether they're negative or positive.  Just look more carefully at it and the titles of the songs you sent.  They don't necessarily always relate to the titles, but yours does. 

Arcade Roots
Half the World and Off the Floor (not the order i would send these two songs in lol)

One of my favorite things is skimming back through the posts for each round at the end or right after the round, seeing how over or under-confident comments played out (commenting on those right now would spoil the results for tonight though), and noticing things that I wasn't familiar enough with the songs yet to have much of an opinion on.  In this case (and also in Stadler's), the initial submission was for only the first song, I guess they were mixed up and forgot that the open rounds can be multi-song, unlike the mystery song rounds.  So if they'd realized this beforehand they might have sent them in the opposite order, potentially.  Not that I'm scoring flow in the multi-song rounds per se, but it probably doesn't hurt if you put a bit of thought into the order, since I do listen in the order the songs are arranged in the submission.  At first anyway, I carve up the playlist all sorts of ways later on. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 09:51:42 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm gonna tank so hard in this round! It's gonna be worse than Han-tyumi and the Murder of the Universe!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Crow - the pAper chAse - "You're One of Them Aren't You?", "The Small of Your Back the Nape of Your Neck (The Blizzard)", "Dying With Decent Music"

Early Impression - "Now I know why people have eliminations.  ;-)"

So of course the impression is tongue-in-cheek.  Even if so far some of your submissions are totally missing me, they definitely aren't boring, and stand out from many of the others.  I feel like in some future round you're gonna send something unusual that really connects with me.  So even if I'm not really liking some of these I do appreciate receiving them, even if the payoff doesn't come during this roulette. 

But as for this artist, I've listened to these songs way more times than I'd ever allow myself to outside of the confines of an experiment like this roulette, and I just can't get into them.  I think I heard the first song a couple times since you sent it in Luke's roulette, but that was all I could tolerate at the time.  Really dissonant music is highly risky for me.  For the most part I like melodious music, even when it's quite aggressive, heavy and hard, and I can only put up with strong dissonance in smaller amounts. 

I occasionally get into really bizarre moods where I'm up for really strange music, and usually at those times I just go full-bore into even more extreme music - 20th century avant-garde classical like Penderecki, avant-prog/Rock-In-Opposition like Univers Zero and such, that's even more dissonant and discordant.  Or in extreme metal I generally can't stomach much dissodeath or dissoblack, though there are occasional exceptions like Gorguts and some of Deathspell Omega's work.  Even then, those are rarely favorites, they just better suit my palate when I'm in fairly specific and irregular modalities. 

TPC occupies a more challenging middle ground where there is a conventional song in the center of each tune, but the arrangement is designed to make it much more off-kilter on purpose.  In my research, it was a bit discombobulating to see John perform a live solo acoustic version of "You're One of Them Aren't You", where he doesn't even try and keep the dissonant elements in, which makes it almost feel like a completely different song. 

For what they're going for, this seems well-constructed and executed enough that I can understand why people who are into this kind of music would like it.  A rather different genre, but it reminds me a bit of some of Bela Bartok's work, particularly some of his string quartets, where there's a similar juxtaposition of more traditionally melodic music with regular bursts of "something's not quite right" discordance. 

So my challenge is twofold.  First is the dissonance and strangeness of the instrumentation, which is its own struggle.  The other is John's vocal style, which is pretty singular among anything I've ever listened to.  And frankly, I just don't really care for it at all.  I think with the right vocalist, I could grow at least somewhat accustomed to some of the more out-there music undergirding it over time.  But the combination of the two is just too much for me, and it was a chore to make it through these each time, hoping maybe something would eventually click, but very little of it ever did. 

1:23 of "You're One of Them, Aren't You?" is probably one of the relatively few moments I liked, it had a bit of a King Crimson feel to the guitar lead, which is another one of the few groups who semi-regularly explore dissonance that I love.  Then there's the piano lick at 2:52 in "The Small of Your Back the Nape of Your Neck" before the playful irreverence of the chorus.  And the rhythmic clacking at 0:20 in the same song is cool.  Or the shrieking violin bit at 1:48 in "Dying With Decent Music" is rather fun. 

John Congleton is kind of an enigma to me, since the number and variety of artists he's produced is pretty staggering, given how niche the appeal of this group is.  Most of them are either ones I don't know or only know very vaguely, some with a small amount of material I've heard.  But he has worked with some artists I really like, which makes me see more potential for incorporation of some of the more jarring elements. 

In particular, he produced Chelsea Wolfe's Abyss, which is one of my favorite albums.  I knew very little about Congleton beforehand other than occasionally hearing the name, but now having read more about him and listened a lot to these tracks, I can see some of his influence on that album, which gives me hope that perhaps smaller portions of this style can be effective.  Chelsea's song "The Abyss" especially seems to have John's fingerprints all over it, with the out-of-tune, dissonant piano motif that plays throughout the first half of the song, and then the similarly unnerving chamber string work in the second half.  It's far from my favorite song on the album, but I love her vocals and other work enough that I can get into it much more. 

"Crazy Love" on the same Congleton-produced album has a somewhat more subtle incorporation of strangeness, with a reasonably conventional ballad structure, but a rather alarming string backing in the chorus, which I imagine could easily have been a production idea he came up with.  So with the right artist, perhaps some of these ideas can work. 

So in finality, I suppose that 5/10 is probably my lower limit for a participation score.  These songs were a tougher listen for me than that, and I definitely like King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard more than 0.5 more than this, but I suppose this is my threshold.  I still don't currently plan to have eliminations, so I guess I'm stuck with your musical mad science lab for now and whatever concoction you come up with next.  :-)  Maybe I'll love it! 

Score:  5/10

---

Sacul - Have a Nice Life - "Bloodhail", "There Is No Food", "Deep, Deep"

Early Impression - "You have probably overcompensated this round in one direction, but pushed it too far in the wrong direction on a different dimension."

Yeah, so this is one of the risks of arguably overreacting to one particular type of comment I've made.  Here we have music that has more of a melancholic vibe and atmosphere I like, but it's just too raw and underproduced for me.  I've known about this band for a long time, and probably even sampled something from them before, but I can see now why they don't quite hit for me.  There's a superficial similarity to other music I love, I know there's some overlap in the fanbase for them with fans of Katatonia's late 90s-era work, for example.  And this is one of the earlier albums people tend to cite as "doomgaze" (in particular the droning style of "There Is No Food"), an emergent niche that has been proliferating more rapidly in recent years and I've enjoyed music similar to, so I've kind of wanted to explore HaNL more, so I appreciate the submission even just for that alone. 

But this is just too lo-fi for my tastes.  I read that it cost them only $1,000 to record this album, and unfortunately, it sounds like it.  Not that great music has to be expensive, there's some excellent recordings made with nothing more than a laptop, but generally I prefer music to sound more polished, and while there are exceptions, this isn't one of them.  It's a bit of a shame, because there are definitely good songs and ideas buried in here, and tidied up and/or covered by a different band like The Cure or someone like that, this could be a substantially stronger entry. 

Let's first look at a few things I liked.  Even as murky as it is, the chorused guitar tone early in "Bloodhail" is pretty cool, as is the slow lead at 3:24, and the line opening "There Is No Food".  The bass is pretty audible, which I'll rarely complain about.  The synth notes with a rapid decay starting at 3:50 in "Bloodhail" are splendid.  I'll talk more about other concerns with the vocals later, but the backing vocal interplay at the end of "Bloodhail" is rather intriguing. 

"Deep, Deep" is kind of a frustrating song to listen to.  The basic post-punk-ish groove of it has a nice energy to it, and I like the synth melody that plays over it at 1:32.  The chord progression and guitar playing is messier than I'd prefer, but I sort of dig the vibe to it in spite of myself.  The vocals are double-tracked, but not quite in unison, which is kind of a fascinating sound.  But for a song that's almost five and a half minutes, it becomes too repetitive and overstays its welcome.  It either needs to be shorter or it needs some type of other section in the middle to break things up and give it some variety.  Also, even beyond my general issues with the production of the songs overall, the mix on "Deep, Deep" is really odd.  It seems to randomly become brighter at times and more muffled at others, with the snare in particular suddenly becoming significantly louder, probably most easily heard around 2:30, though the first verse at 0:34 is similar, and I found this really distracting. 

Also, this is going to be a recurring theme, and I'm not sure of an easy solution to it.  The vocals on these songs, as well as others later in the round, are buried in the mix and pretty boxy-sounding.  On one hand, I tend to be picky about vocalists, and somewhat hiding them in the mix if I don't care for their voice is a way to make it less of a negative.  On the other hand, I generally tend to like vocals that are a bit more forward, and if there's not, it tends to make songs less memorable and more like background music, which this leans towards too much of the time.  The vocal melodies in general verge on the monotonous, so when I think back to these songs, I tend to remember the things that bugged me more than the elements I liked. 

Score:  6.75/10

---

Elite - Agent Fresco - "Anemoi", "He Is Listening", "Eyes of a Cloud Catcher", "Angst", "Yellow Lights"

Early Impression - "The drumming is fantastic.  The guitar tones and vocals are not.  And will I remember any of it?"

So here we have a band I'd heard an album from before, but didn't really remember anything about.  And unfortunately, I think I now know why.  The drumming is quite impressive throughout, and there are aspects and moments here and there that I really enjoyed, but overall this isn't connecting with me. 

"Anemoi" started out fairly auspiciously, the piano intro and using tom and/or snare rims for a clacking rhythm is a rather underused technique.  It actually reminds me a bit of The Reign of Kindo, a promising band I need to spend more time with from earlier rounds.  I like the ride bell work at 1:39 as well, along with the piano harmonies there, and earlier at 0:40.  The intro of "Eyes of a Cloud Catcher" is really cool, the drumming reminds me of some Minus The Bear songs, and the piano with it is a charming bonus.  In general there's a lot of cool rhythmic interplay driven by the drumming and sometimes the guitars.  The bass playing is also fairly solid.  Some of the slow ascending glissando string work is useful in building tension, like at 2:05 in "Anemoi". 

But most of my issues center around the vocals and the guitars.  Vocal-wise, I just don't really care for the timbre of them.  It's a bit of a challenge to listen to throughout, but it's most noticeable in the upper ranges.  "Yellow Nights" is probably the best song to illustrate this.  At 1:09 he goes up quite a lot into his falsetto range, and that's just a very risky style for me in general.  And then at 1:55 when things become more intense, he does more caterwauling, and all that warbling just tends to be grating for me. 

And then most of the guitar tones are just a miss for me.  When they try to go heavier, the tone is just really scratchy and brittle, across a variety of different rhythm sounds.  Karnivool in a later writeup will occasionally use sounds like these for contrast, but here they're the main focus, and just feel really thin and weak.  Even the more Meshuggah-ish low tones like at 0:42 in "Angst" lack the power they need to sound more effective.  The acoustic at 3:11 in "Eyes of a Cloud Catcher" is nice, but it's such a brief section.  And then "Yellow Nights" at 0:04 probably has the most acceptable electric ones, there's a compressed funkiness to them that works better for that rhythm part.  And then while I don't love the tone of it, the seesawing riff at 0:36 is pretty cool. 

Score:  6.75/10

---

twosuitluke - Coheed and Cambria - "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3", "Gravity's Union"

Early Impression - "You may have sent the wrong songs."

Back in the 00s there seemed to be this massive wave of all of these bands coming out of the post-hardcore and emo scenes that were a bit in the alternative rock direction, and also had elements that appealed to progressive rock fans.  Coheed and Cambria seems to have become one of the ones with the most staying power and has maintained a more revered status for a lot of people.  I'm not sure how much is simple longevity and how much is the musicianship and proggier musical tendencies.  I sampled a lot of these bands back then, and found interesting elements at times musically, but one fairly constant turn-off for me was how many had this thin, nasal, helium vocal style, and C&C fall right into that.  I know I listened to at least one of their albums at the time, and saw a few videos.  I've mostly ignored them since then, though Claudio in particular has popped up on a few other things I've heard here and there. 

My musical preferences have evolved a fair amount since then, so are things any better now?  Well, not really.  There are a lot of engaging guitar parts scattered throughout their work, and I can see their appeal in that regard.  But Claudio's vocals don't resonate with me any more now than they did back then.  They're not as bad as some of the other vocals in earlier rounds or even in this one, and there are some fairly catchy melodies from time to time (the section at 5:02 in "Gravity's Union" is especially hooky), but I still find them distracting on the whole, and wonder if they would connect with me more with a different vocalist. 

I suppose it's hardly a new problem for prog bands, many of the OG ones had polarizing vocalists as well.  The most obvious comparison here is Rush.  Part of what has held me back from being a superfan of Rush is Geddy's voice, which I perhaps had an advantage in hearing fairly early on, so I had more time to acclimate to it, but it's always been a sticking point for me with them, and C&C have a similar, but arguably even worse problem, since the gap between the vocals and the instrumentation/songwriting is even larger.  I'm not sure how much of it is inherently Claudio's voice vs. their background in post-hardcore/emo, which are genres I've historically found very little from to be compelling, so far anyway, I haven't explored them deeply. 

But in these songs, there's an additional issue, in that the mixes for the albums are really muddy-sounding, most noticeably on the guitars, though a bit on the drumming (particularly the cymbals) as well.  And it's not like sludge metal where the murkiness of the tones is part of the point.  There are some razor-sharp riffs and playing, but the opacity of how they're recorded renders them a lot weaker than they could be.  You're definitely going to have to read my writeup for Vmad's selections to see what happens on an album where they finally get that facet right. 

Someone earlier pointed out that TAC called the opening tone of "Gravity's Union" the worst sound he'd ever heard a guitar make.  Well, I have a whole lot of worse sounds I've heard that I could show him than that...  I don't actually find it all that bad other than the general issue with how it sounds like there's a blanket over the speakers, particularly for the guitar tones.  That sound is just from an octave fuzz pedal, very similar to the one Jimi Hendrix used in the 60s and many artists have employed since then.  The more frustrating one is at 0:20 on "In Keeping Secrets", which sounds like emphasizing the harmonics with an E-Bow, but the tone is more brittle than in various songs from earlier rounds with a similar tone. 

Drum-wise, I particularly like the snare ghost notes at 0:19 on "In Keeping Secrets".  The bass playing is pretty solid, with some nice independent lines from time to time.  There are also some tasty synth parts here and there, though they mostly tend to be buried.  I imagine the "whoas" at 6:51 are intended primarily for live crowd participation, Iron Maiden-style. 

Score:  7/10

---

SoundscapeMN - Apes & Androids - "Make Forever Last Forever", "Johnny & Sarah", "Riverside"

Early Impression - "Uh oh, did you get jinxed?"

Well, I guess it had to happen eventually, that you'd send something I'd only like mildly.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Instrumentally, there are some intriguing elements, but the vocals really pull it down for me.  They're arranged pretty interestingly, with a lot of harmonies and layers going on, but they're mostly in a falsetto range and tone that doesn't really work for me.  Even when they're in a more moderate range like some of "Johnny & Sarah" they have a weird feel to them that doesn't really appeal to me. 

The songwriting in general is certainly interesting, with some unusual chord changes at times.  On "Make Forever Last Forever" they have quite a lot happening in terms of synthesizer, organ, electric guitar, and percussion parts (particularly at 1:55) coming in and out of the arrangement.  The overdriven clavinet is an especially piquant tone.  The funky vibe in general is quite refreshing.  I also like the synth arpeggio at 0:48 that pans from the right to the left, those types of audio engineering tricks are often delightful.  Additionally, the shuffle beat also has a nice vibe to it. 

On "Johnny & Sarah" the opening guitar riffs are pretty cool, but they have a similar thin and brittle tone that Agent Fresco's from this round did that isn't really to my taste.  "Riverside" is rather unique with the incorporation of horns and acoustic guitar, I particularly enjoyed the opening fingerpicking bit.  The guitar harmony at 3:38 is pretty nice - kind of Queen-like. 

It's just that the number of thrilling elements isn't as high as it was like with say, Pepe Deluxé, and the vocals dilute the enjoyment of what I do like.  Well, maybe we can just write this round off as a chance for a few others to prevent your lead from becoming insurmountable.  :-)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
HOF - Public Service Broadcasting - "Every Valley", "The Pit", "You + Me"

Early Impression - "These songs are missing the film they're supposed to go with."

So of course I'd heard the songs that someone else had submitted a few months ago in 425's roulette.  Technically I guess this is considered post-rock, which is a style I've tended to struggle with over the years.  Conceptually, it can be an intriguing idea, of combining rock instrumentation with classical (sometimes) and different structural ideas for a broader scope.  There are some fantastic bands of that stripe (early Godspeed You! Black Emperor probably being the best), but quite a lot of it that I've heard doesn't fully engage me, and that continues here.  It's enjoyable enough as background music, and seems perfect to accompany a film, documentary, or other intriguing visuals, but listening to it by itself, it's just lacking some pizzazz and memorability. 

The narration is another challenging aspect.  As I've mentioned in some other writeups, it's generally ok on a first play to set a tone, but on repeat listens it can grow quite tiresome to hear over and over again.  It's one of the elements that holds GY!BE from being a top-tier band for me.  Thankfully the excerpts are generally fairly brief here. 

The first cut, "Every Valley", is perfectly serviceable as a cinematic opening, and in a full album would probably be fine to set the table for grander things to come, but it's just essentially background music that I can't really remember afterwards, and eats up a third of the submission runtime.  The chromatic percussion and tremolo effect on the electric guitar does make for a nice texture though.  I also like the guitar feedback at 4:08. 

"The Pit" is a bit more interesting, with a rather compelling tom groove (the offbeat hat accents are a nice touch as well), augmented by electronics, guitar, and that recurring descending brass glissando swell is really delectable.  The clarinet (I think?, the range sounds too low, but the timbre sounds wrong for the other instruments I could find credits for) at 1:27 and other spots is also a welcome addition, it's a quite underused instrument.  It has the bones of a more tantalizing song, but instrumental music can be challenging to compete with vocal tracks in this context, because without a strong melody to latch onto, there has to be something extra special, and this doesn't really get to that level. 

"You + Me" is the best overall song, and from what I read, is rather unique in their discography in being quite vocal-driven, which isn't auspicious for getting into their other work.  But on its own, it is a fairly effective track and makes this entry a bit more memorable than it would have otherwise been.  2:32 was a section I vacillated on a lot.  On one hand, it's really sparse for my tastes, with the very light drumming, and unadorned clean electric tones.  Generally my ears want to hear more effects or production magic to find parts that minimal of any lasting interest.  But it does build rather nicely, gradually adding in two layers of harmony, and then eventually leading back into the chorus.  The vocal duet format is potent, particularly on the octave unisons later on, though I wouldn't have minded some harmony in spots as well to give it a bit extra. 

---

Buddyhunter1 - Chapel of Disease - "Void of Words", "Song of the Gods"

Early Impression - "Clean, Dry Guitar Solos: The Final Frontier.  This straddles two quite different genres, but is missing the better elements of both."

I must say that this group certainly has a rather unique sound.  Mark Knopfler attempting to play death metal is a pretty good summary of their approach.  There are undeniably many cool riffs and licks throughout both songs.  For what they're trying to accomplish, it's pulled off fairly well, and it's overall fairly enjoyable.  But for me I think it occupies a middle ground where it doesn't quite capture the other elements I like from either genre.  It lacks have the heaviness and crushing guitar tone that I tend to seek out in death metal, and is bereft of the strong melodic vocals of hard rock.  So I think to listen to them I would need to be in a fairly specific mood, which I'm not sure how often it would come up. 

There are some nice bass tones and lines throughout both songs.  The reverb-laden guitar solo at 3:29 in "Void of Words" is one of the cooler moments, as is the lick at 1:18 in "Song of the Gods".  But the guitar solo at 5:03 in "Void of Words" is probably the one I struggled with the most.  My guitar tone preferences for quite awhile tended to be that I either liked heavily distorted ones, or purely acoustic ones, with any in the middle tending not to appeal to me.  Over time I've developed more appreciation for mildly-overdriven tones, both in rhythm and in lead playing. 

But one of the final ones that I've never gotten fully onboard with is purely clean electric solos, with the occasional exception.  And the one in that section of the song falls right into that kind of tone.  It just seems to lack a richness that you have either from acoustic guitars or from adding a bit of gain to an electric tone.  I think it's the same reason I've never really been able to get into traditional electric blues without rock influence, I just find that timbre rather bland.  And as if to exemplify the difference, at 6:28 they kick on the drive, and the bit of grit instantly improves the sound, though it's a case of too little, too late. 

"Song of the Gods" is definitely the overall better song of the two.  5:21 in it with the pedaltone lick and double bass makes for an effective build, and then the ending with the snare on every beat, bringing back in the double bass, the earlier main riff being played in a new key and then an octave higher later on, and switching from the open hat to riding the crash - it's probably the high point of the set. 

---

TAC - Euphoreon - "Mirrors", "Oblivion"

Early Impression - "I feel like I'm supposed to be riding a dragon and wielding my steel, but oh wait, now it's nighttime and rainy and I can't see where we're going!"

So overall, this is a pretty solid set of songs in the extreme power metal style.  Some sites seem to call them melodic death, but the vocals are way more black metal-sounding to me.  They're surprisingly understandable, with better enunciation than average.  I also like the offbeat ride bell at 5:54 in "Mirrors", though it could have been a tad louder. 

What holds things back a bit is that they're trying to make their sound more epic by incorporating symphonic keyboard elements, but they don't really have the budget to do it justice.  Some bands can get away with using a keyboard to emulate an orchestra or even just a string section by clever programming, and pulling it back in the mix so that it adds a layer of depth without being too prominent.  But they take the risk of going all-in and even having the fauxchestration exposed by itself, such as at 3:56 in "Mirrors" or 7:08 in "Oblivion", which highlights that they aren't real.  This is why in most cases I generally find that if bands can't afford to hire an orchestra, they're better off with contracting individual players, or using more obviously synthetic sounds that aren't trying to fool you into thinking they're something that they aren't.  It's a shame they couldn't at least hire a violinist for some of the more prominent orchestral lead lines, or at least make them guitar or synth melodies instead. 

In that regard, the opening synth line of "Oblivion" is my favorite patch of the entry - that's a really cool sound, though it's forgotten about or buried in the mix for the rest of the track.  Some other moments are nice, for example, the opening piano and chromatic percussion layer in the intro of "Mirrors" is a splendid sound.  5:26 in "Oblivion" is similar with the piano and two bell-like textures, though it's soured a bit by the fake violin patch again.  The synth line at 1:10 in "Oblivion" (or at 3:44 when it doubles the guitar line) is a bit video game-y, but it's enchanting enough. 

The octave guitar line at 2:14 in "Mirrors" is probably my favorite melody of the songs.  Also, the guitar riff at 3:31 is very Stratovarius-y.  In addition, 6:04 in "Oblivion" was the most serendipitous passage.  It gets way heavier there, and while I suppose the contrast makes that moment stand out more, it also makes its absence more noticeable in the rest of the songs.  I don't know if they brought out different guitars there, or just cranked up the bass, but that sound plays more into my wheelhouse, there just isn't enough of it.  But I think between it and that opening synth line, it makes "Oblivion" the better song of the two. 

Score:  7.5/10

---

Tomislav95 - Arcane Roots - "Half the World", "Off the Floor"

Early Impression - "The first song feels like it repeats the same idea over and over while slowly turning the volume knob up and down."

This is a great example of why I like having some of these rounds with the possibility of multiple songs, because sometimes a single song is misleading as to the capabilities of a band.  Here we have an example where the second song is noticeably better than the first, and it's a good thing I noticed that you had plenty of runtime left for the second one. 

I think the challenge with "Half the World" is that it keeps essentially the same 3-4 chord progression throughout most if not all of the runtime.  The verses are much more subdued, with heavier choruses, which works for the first few minutes with a typical loud/quiet/loud/quiet/loud sort of dynamic (and the roaming toms and rim clicks and the gradual guitar volume swell towards the two minute mark is a nice arrangement build), but then at 3:06 it tries to gradually crescendo and then decrescendo for the remaining duration of the track.  However, I think the 7:00+ runtime might be a bit long for what is essentially a radio rock song, though one that gradually grew on me more over time.  To be more effective, I think it would either need to trim that down some, or preferably, to have another section somewhere in the middle of it to break things up with a different chord progression, or at least some kind of a solo. 

"Off the Floor" is much more appealing.  The combination of the funkier lighter gain parts and the heavier rhythms along with the vocals give me a lot of Fair To Midland vibes.  That constant percussive sound under the clean guitar in the verse gives some extra propulsion to it.  And then 2:02 is an especially cool riff.  I also like the guitar harmonics in the verses such as at 0:26 in "Half the World". 

---

Stadler - Michael Schenker Group - "Lost Horizons", "But I Want More"

Early Impression - "Lighter on riffs than expected, but the solos deliver."

Here we have another group that I know well in name, and have heard various Scorpions and UFO albums that Schenker has played on, but never got around to checking out his solo group (kind of an oxymoron now that I write it). 

So as the impression notes, I was kind of anticipating songs that are more of riff-fests, and maybe I'm just selectively comparing them to certain Scorpions and UFO songs, and MSG isn't as much about that, or perhaps other tracks have more of them.  Not that it's really a bad thing, Schenker is still generally more known for his lead playing anyway.  And in that regard he doesn't disappoint.  I feel like I've absorbed a lot more Schenker from his influence on Michael Amott in Arch Enemy, who is a massive Schenker fan, so it's fun to go back to the original source here.  I like how he often lets notes bloom into harmonics, like 3:29 on "Lost Horizons".  6:35 on "But I Want More" is interesting in how his tone suddenly becomes less biting and more rounded, I'm not sure if he's switching to the neck pickup there or just picking closer to the fretboard.  5:34 on the same song also has a fun partial harmony.  It's curious that both of these songs have chord progressions with semi-chromatic movements, I don't know if that's a coincidence or that's just a common trope of their writing style. 

As I noted in a later writeup (that I happened to write earlier) I tend to mostly avoid other people's reviews when I write these, but I did glance at a few mentions that seem to indicate that Gary Bardens is not a well-regarded vocalist.  I would prefer someone like Klaus Meine, but I dunno, Gary doesn't really bother me at least on these tracks.  He's not really a highlight, but he seems serviceable enough for the style. 

But the biggest surprise here was the fretless bass playing on "Lost Horizons".  I tend to pay attention when fretless bass players are mentioned, but I'm not familiar with Mo Foster, so I'll have to look into his other work to see if it's similar. 

TAC mentioned preferring the One Night at Budokan live version of "Lost Horizons" because it has Cozy Powell rather than Simon Phillips, and I gave that a listen to compare, but honestly for me it's a less enjoyable version of the song, because I find that live recording too boxy-sounding, particularly with how the drums are captured, and any possible increased energy from Cozy is dissipated by the way the live album is mixed.  I've also heard Simon on more various projects than Cozy, so if anything I'm more partial to his playing - maybe TAC is just more of a Cozy fan in general. 

I feel like this should score higher, because there's nothing really overtly wrong with it, but I guess while I enjoy listening to Schenker play in the moment, nothing really sticks with me later on, unlike say, various Scorpions tunes.  And maybe that is Bardens' fault, or perhaps the focus is on guitar acrobatics more than vocal melody writing, hard to say. 

---

Puppies_On_Acid - Kardashev - "Between Sea and Sky", "Beside Cliffs and Chasms"

Early Impression - "This sounds like a backing track with half of the vocals missing."

Their album last year had been on my list of releases to check out, because I kept hearing people talk about it as being "deathgaze".  For some reason black metal fuses much more easily with shoegaze and/or post-rock than death metal does.  One of the early exceptions to that is Katatonia's Brave Murder Day, but for some reason despite the popularity and acclaim of that album, very few have attempted to take that idea further.  But Kardashev has been touted as doing so, though clearly in a quite different way.  I'm not sure how much further along in sonic development that album from last year is in comparison to this one, but I can certainly see some of the ideas emerging, and I'm intrigued. 

These songs have much of the heaviness I look for in death metal, but with a lot of more melodic and atmospheric richness to them.  I adore the guitar melody at 0:21 (and also later spots) in "Beside Cliffs and Chasms".  It also foreshadows the vocal line mirroring and then doubling it later.  There are also some wonderful bass lines throughout, particularly the tapping at 3:39 on "Beside Cliffs and Chasms". 

But two things that hold it back a bit are that the vocals, mainly the harsh ones, are just a bit on the -core side of things for my palate.  They're not bad, just that I could imagine ones I'd enjoy more.  The contrast between the low and high ones does provide some variety though.  And then the cleans are also a bit in the background for my tastes.  This is probably partially the shoegaze influence at work, since it tends to have more indecipherable vocals buried under the wall of sound.  There are definitely more vocals going on than I noticed the first time around (which led to the impression), but they do still feel like more of an afterthought at times.  At times they feel like an extreme metal version of Skyharbor, but without as good of vocals. 

Score:  7.75/10

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Vmadera00 - Coheed and Cambria - "Prologue", "The Dark Sentencer", "Gravemakers & Gunslingers"

Early Impression - "The guitar work is even better than I remember.  The vocals are not."

Well, so we have the first time a band was successfully sent twice in a round.  It almost happened a few other times, but the second submitter volunteered a different artist when I mentioned it.  Now being in "all Coheed all the time" mode for parts of this round, I can see some of the advantages and disadvantages of it.  One is obviously that I have a direct comparison, but this means that some might draw the short end of the stick.  And well, not even being one of the most prominent fans of the band, you've managed to pick a selection of songs that appeals to me a bit more and has fewer of the issues the first batch of songs had.  You'll have to read the writeup for Luke's to get a fuller sense of those. 

Even though I'm not grading this as an EP, one of the things I like about multi-song submissions is that it does have the opportunity for some EP-like flow, and this submission definitely set the mood.  The "a month or two overdue for the piano tuner visit" intro is actually kind of charming, and then I adore the synths in the second half of "Prologue".  I'm not crazy about the narration, but it doesn't fare quite as badly as some other voiceovers have in other rounds.  Perhaps because it's a tad shorter and a bit back in the mix, it's easier to tune it out and just focus on the synth ambiance.  All the synth tones and white/pink noise hisses are great.  It helps give these two tracks a quite epic feel.  I'm not as into concept albums as a lot of people here, but sci-fi is a theme that does generally resonate with me.  6:18 is another standout synth timbre.  And ending the song with a brief passage of more normal piano almost makes the first two tracks loopable by themselves. 

But wow, what really pops out about "The Dark Sentencer" is the guitar sounds.  The tones on this song are some of my favorites of the whole roulette, with a really nice warm and crunchy timbre.  I'm hoping the whole album sounds like that and it isn't just an anomalous track.  Between the texture of them and the dazzling riffs and harmonies, I'm actually distracted from Claudio's voice some of the time.  I still don't love it, but either due to that, perhaps because he's reigned it in a tad like Geddy Lee did over time in Rush, or perhaps just because of more infectious vocal melodies, it's not nearly as much of a negative as it is in other tracks from C&C.  It also helps that there are some occasional backing vocals to break things up primarily from who I assume is Claudio's wife Chondra. 

Also, those offbeat "hey"s in the first minute or two of the song remind me that such a chant was more of an arena rock crowd participation staple before the "stomp clamp hey" bands of a decade ago coopted it. 

"Gravemakers & Gunslingers" isn't quite as good as "The Dark Sentencer", but even in spite of being much earlier in their career, doesn't have nearly as much of the muddy tone as the earlier C&C songs did, and also brings some more energy to the table.  I don't really like the pitch-shifted duet/narration at 2:19 - as I've mentioned in other rounds, I generally don't like vocal pitch-shifting, and this one in particular is even cheesier, but maybe it serves to make Claudio's voice itself less annoying by contrast.  This track seems to have some extra drum firepower over their others, which can probably be explained by having Chris Pennie or Taylor Hawkins guesting on it.  In my brief research I couldn't determine who played on which tracks.  Additionally, the reverse delay moment at 3:09 lead into the solo is fun. 

Score:  7.75/10

---

senecadawg2 - Kauan - "Äidin Laulu"

Early Impression - "I love violin, but this one sounds fake."

In '21 there was a lot of hype about this band when Ice Fleet came out, and I kept thinking I ought to check them out, and maybe even sampled at least part of a song, but for some reason they just got lost in the shuffle of everything I was looking into and I never got around to them.  Now I'm wishing I'd explored them earlier, but of course it's never too late.  This is definitely in the ballpark of how my taste has been shifting in the past decade, with a focus on slower, more atmospheric, pretty, but still heavy bands. 

They have a lot going for them, with beefy guitars, piano, audible bass, a variety of vocal styles, and a thick melancholic ambiance.  The idea of a Russian band singing in Finnish is rather intriguing.  Their sound felt a little bland for the first few plays, but over time it grew on me a fair amount, and now is one of the better songs of the round.  One thing that I really love that not many other doom bands do is the integration of synth leads, like at 0:33, or the one in the background under the "violin" (more on that in a minute) at 4:54.  I also love how the guitars ring out at the end, it's not nearly often enough in metal that bands will just let the sound oscillate by itself for seconds at a time. 

The most frustrating thing about this song is hinted at in the impression.  I checked out the original recording of this song on Tietäjän laulu, which is a different arrangement, with similar bones, but it is much more raw and less rich-sounding overall.  However, the advantage it has is that the violin lines are actually played on a real instrument.  Why they opted to rerecord the song for this version on Muistumia with much better-recorded guitars and then cheap out and play or program the violin parts on a keyboard patch is beyond me, especially when before and after they've regularly worked with violinists, but it does hold it back a bit. 

Violin is one of the most expressive instruments, so it's harder to do justice with technology, the note transition transients, slides, and vibrato are especially difficult to accurately recreate digitally.  The drums also appear to be programmed, but it's usually less of a deal, heck, Type O Negative did that for a long time.  On net this is probably the better version to have sent, but the inauthenticity of the violin did vex me some, because almost everything else about it is great. 

Score:  8/10

---

Nachtmerrie - Karnivool - "Eidolon", "Goliath", "Themata"

Early Impression - "This might be a middling "safe" submission, which in this round could be all you need."

So Karnivool is one of many bands that had a lot of hype earlier on, I checked out their albums, liked them a fair amount, but other than the occasional song listen here and there, just never really got too deep into them.  And based on these songs, I've definitely been missing out by not spending more time with them.  I tend to inherently like the Tool-inspired heavy alt/prog sound instrumentally, but I typically find with those bands that they often don't have vocalists I like (not everyone can be Maynard James Keenan), and/or they don't have nearly the memorable songwriting that Tool had at their peak.  I'm still not sure if I really love the vocal style here, but it has grown on me a bit, and at least doesn't really detract from everything else like I initially worried it might. 

I try and avoid reviews and reactions for the most part when writing these so that I can mostly just give my own hopefully at least somewhat original thoughts, but I couldn't help but notice that it seems some people were not happy with the direction of their latest (though now a decade old) album.  It's been years since I've heard it, so I can't really remember what the rest of it sounds like, but "Eidolon" actually provides for a more refreshing mellower side, particularly with the chromatic percussion in the background. 

The bass playing in general is probably the biggest highlight here.  All the songs have some cool lines in spots, and the opening tone in "Goliath" is just monstrous.  It's also quite impressive how much mileage they're able to get out a riff constructed of just three of the same notes in that song by constantly changing everything else revolving around them.  They keep the primary rhythm guitar panned to the left, but have a call and response echo in the intro, that Twilight Zone-ish circular riff on the right at 0:49, the chimey part at 1:01, alternating those, then building to combinations and variations of them at 1:51.  The chording tone at 2:53 is really nice as well. 

"Themata" is a good example of how to use thinner guitar tones to provide contrast, which some earlier entries weren't as effective with.  The restatement of one of the primary phrygian dominant riffs at 0:32 with a reedier, buzzier tone would be really weak if it was the primary tone for the riff, but juxtaposed with the main rhythm parts, it adds some interest and variety.  The verse rhythm even has a small bit of flanger at 0:50 which provides a useful cue to lead into the vocals of the verse.  The song also does the same thing with the vocal lines that it did with the guitars, where in the first verse the vocals are EQed very narrowly, but they open up for the second one, which does a lot to give the song a sense of movement, which is definitely needed when much of the time is spent on establishing what could otherwise be fairly static rhythmic grooves. 

The drumming is also pretty fun, with some nice incorporation of splashes at various spots.  You can hear some tasty snare ghost notes in the intro to "Goliath", though they get buried a bit by the bass once it comes in.  I love the build with the toms at 3:20 as well. 

---

ariich - Wormwood - "The Achromatic Road", "Sunnas hädanfärd"

Early Impression - "Did Dark Tranquillity do a black/folk metal side project I missed?"

I'm starting to feel like the guy who says every exotic animal tastes like chicken based on my comments in round four for a couple bands, but I dunno, I've been listening to Dark Tranquillity for over two decades, did a few short back-to-back comparisons, and Wormwood's vocalist totally has a Stanne-like quality to my ears. 

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the opening percussive keyboard texture, but this turns into some pretty solid metal.  Maybe a bit more atmospheric version of Stortregn that you sent a few rounds ago.  The guitar tones are full, the drumming is robust (I especially enjoy the cymbal work at 6:00 in "Achromatic" and some of the effects cymbal accents in various spots), and there are some tasty bass lines and slides in places.  There's some variety to the guitar parts, with the strummier bit in "The Achromatic Road" at 2:19, the clean passage at 3:58, and also the ending solo keeps the variety up.  The central riff of the song is pretty interesting in how it seamlessly goes between sustained notes from the rhythm guitar, slower palm-muted notes, tremolo-picked ones, and pinch harmonics from the lead lines. 

"Sunnas hädanfärd" makes a great companion piece, with some faster blast beat sections, the folkier melodies, a bit of clean vocals, another clean passage, and the fiddle melody at the ending is the cherry on top.  It has a bit of a lilting feel like the opening of Opeth's "Folklore". 

---

Lethean - Arcturus - "Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer", "Evacuation Code Deciphered"

Early Impression - "You're cheatin' hard and I love it."

Well, waddya know, two rounds in a row and we have another Katatonia guest!  This time a further layer removed, but it's definitely working so far.  Arcturus is one of those bands in the Norwegian (post) black metal scene that I know a decent amount about just from general metal culture immersion, but have never really dove into them like I've wanted to.  I heard all their albums at the time back in the mid-late 00s, and still have them sitting on a hard drive, but other than the occasional song here and there, have just never made time to get back around to them.  I knew they were sort of a supergroup, but had no idea offhand who was in the band at the time of this release. 

ICS Vortex was immediately identifiable, and I've always liked his voice from the scattered Dimmu Borgir, Borknagar and such I've checked out over the years.  The real surprise was Silje Wergeland being on these two cuts, and apparently only these two.  Of course she's the guest vocalist on "The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here", one of the best tracks on one of the best albums, i.e., Dead End Kings.  I've also loved her work in The Gathering and Octavia Sperati, but never got around to revisiting her guest appearances with other projects. 

Anyway, ICS is one of the better parts of these songs in general.  He does some demented cackling in a couple spots that I'm not crazy about, but other than that it's mostly fantastic.  4:10 in "Evacuation Code Deciphered" is easily the most memorable section of the entry, with ICS and Silje singing together.  I was surprised at how few harsh vocals there were in these songs.  Maybe the earlier albums are different, or my memory is just off, but I thought I recalled there being a somewhat more even mixture, not that I'm complaining.  It's curious how much of the black metal feel they're able to retain with almost only clean vocals, little to no blast beats, and minimal tremolo picking. 

Of course, the Nordic metal scene being quite incestuous like the other countries nearby as well, I've heard the other members here and there in other projects - Ulver, Jorn, Covenant and others, especially the ubiquitous Hellhammer.  His drumming is pretty consistently stellar.  This is another interesting set of songs in that the toms are miced with the higher ones on the right, and the lower ones on the left, the opposite of how a kit is normally set up, so descending tom rolls sweep from right to left, such as at 2:39 in "Evacuation". 

And since in live videos I checked out Hellhammer has it set up normally, it's clearly an intentional studio choice.  Given that Moonsorrow and Ereb Altor in a prior round had the same peculiarity, I may have to do some more research and find out if this is a common trait these bands stole from an earlier black metal act.  Also, audible bass in anything black metal-adjacent is always a plus, especially when it isn't strictly tied to playing an octave below the rhythm guitar, and there are some nice walking lines and fills throughout these songs. 

Often in tracking metal rhythm guitars, they'll try and overlay the exact same part, double, triple, or even quad-tracked, but with different gear, but these songs seem to take the approach of having similar, but slightly different yet complementary parts, which probably works better for this type of song, which isn't as reliant on a crushing syncronized riff.  I love that screaming high tone in "Shipwrecked" at 2:28, the chords and wah/delay at 3:21, and the harmonies and riffs at 6:12 in "Shipwrecked". 

The synth parts are quite nice.  A few highlights are the harpsichord in the background of "Evacuation" at 0:47, the piano in "Shipwrecked" at 4:26, the square wave lead at 6:47 in "Shipwrecked", in "Evacuation" at 2:23 and 4:39, and the whooshing filter sweep at 5:21 in "Evacuation".  The opening pizzicato strings of "Evacuation" are bemusing to me, in that while clearly from a keyboard and not real, they don't bug me like fake ones sometimes do, including some others earlier this round.  It might be an uncanny valley effect, where they're more obviously an emulation, but some later-era patches try to be more realistic, but still aren't quite right, which can give an unsettling vibe. 

Score:  8.25/10
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:04:06 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Evermind - Árstíðir - "Shine", "Síðasta kveðjan"

Early Impression - "The second song took this from pleasant background music to something a bit more special."

Intentionally doing this writeup right after the pAper chAse was quite a contrast and palate-cleanser.  I had listened a couple times to the songs you sent in Luke's final round, and they didn't particularly stand out, so I wasn't sure how well this artist was going to work.  On my initial listen I was worried this might be a bit insipid and minimalistic for me, but the second song really picked things up, the songs started growing on me, and I've increasingly really looked forward to subsequent listens - there's a real beauty to these songs. 

It seems that they are most known for their vocal harmonies, and they're certainly quite good.  But easily the highlight for me is the chamber string work, particularly halfway through "Shine", and the solo at 5:57 in "Síðasta kveðjan".  I especially like some of the sliding in and out of notes, and emphasizing the harmonics at 6:20.  The minute of gradual buildup starting around 2:21 in "Shine" is especially radiant. 

I thought they might stick with the piano/vocals/violin/cello format throughout, so the two layers of acoustic guitars in "Síðasta" was a delight.  Much of the mix is drier than I tend to prefer, so I was somewhat surprised at how atmospheric these songs felt, though "Shine" does bring in some ambiance starting around 1:13, and I wonder if "Síðasta" could have been even better with a bit of that as well.  "Shine" is interesting in how it uses that simple offbeat repeated rhythm throughout much of the song to anchor it, starting around 0:32. 

I also see that they also have an album collaboration with Anneke van Giersbergen that I somehow didn't know about, so I'm definitely going to have to check that one out as well. 

---

soupytwist - Dirt Poor Robins - "It Tore Your Heart Out", "Welcome To Lady Hell", "The Saints I"

Early Impression - "Are these tracks really all from the same artist?  And when in doubt, steal someone's band who's scoring more than you!"

Well, so we have at least the second band that I've noticed SoundscapeMN promoting on occasion (The Reign of Kindo a few rounds ago being another) that someone has stolen out from under him.  And it definitely paid off this round.  It's also shown me that "fun" music can work for me with the right bands (Katzenjammer that you sent a few rounds ago being another great example), contrary to how I tend to think of myself usually preferring more melancholic and darker music.  That's been a serendipitous aspect of this roulette, discovering facets of my taste that I'd been overlooking or thought had been more dormant.  On the first listen this was my favorite band of the lot, though it was a softer liking than some earlier top favorites, probably only earning a mild 8.0 if I'd had to grade it right then. 

There's sort of a modernized yet retro 60s feel to their music, almost a bit Beatles-ish at times.  That's a sound I enjoyed a bit years ago, but had mostly ignored in more recent years.  Pepe Deluxé (another earlier Soundscape entry) had a similar but different vibe, so apparently this is a niche that I need to consider exploring more.  I rarely actively listen to 60s music, and I'm not sure if the difference in bands like these is the more current production aesthetic or the less-dated vocal styles, but so far some of it is working pretty well.  This is also another example of where there's a lot of layering going on, and it makes each listening pretty riveting as I try to notice new details that I didn't catch on previous listens. 

On my first play "Welcome To Lady Hell" was the standout, it has a really addicting melody in the chorus.  But on subsequent listens "It Tore Your Heart Out" grew on me, and now I'm not sure which one I prefer, the latter sounds like a totally different song now than it did on the first pass.  I've had both stuck in my head a lot, my mind playing snippets from both back and forth as if they're from the same song.  Initially all three tunes felt extremely different from each other, hence my impression.  The first two gelled enough that apparently my internal music player considers them more similar, with "The Saints I" being the most divergent, and it took the longest to grow on me. 

As for some more nuanced details:

There are all kinds of joyous little bits in "It Tore Your Heart Out".  The shimmering synth sound at 0:24 and other spots, the contrast of the lower guitar power chords on the left in the verses with the chords of the guitar on the right, the synthesizer arpeggios in the chorus, the Leslie speaker-ish effect on the vocals at 2:30, and the octave-doubled guitar solo at 2:51. 

In "Welcome To Lady Hell", I love the contrast of the vocals in the verse vs. the chorus.  In the verses they're narrowly squished into the center of the mix and squashed with a bandpass filter (kind of a telephone effect), so they really explode in the choruses when they're brought back to a wider stereo scope.  I also really like all the subtle brass accents, as well as various bass fills.  The semi-chromatic ascending piano run at 1:23 is savory, and the guitar line at 2:18 is striking.  2:56 is really delightful, with the group vocals + drums/percussion leading perfectly into the final chorus.  Briefly taking away the chordal instrumentation makes it all the more impactful when it returns - it's a wonderful arrangement trick. 

Heavily string section-driven ballads can tend to be too fluffy and schmaltzy for my tastes, but the execution of "The Saints I" is well above average.  It being set in the dorian mode and some of the more unusual chord changes gives it a dreamier feel, and the Mellotron flutes (which were also employed a bit in "It Tore"), piano, and brass section ornamentation keeps the backing instrumentation from being too monotonous. 

---

Here are the top 7 songs of the round:

1:  Dirt Poor Robins - "Welcome To Lady Hell"/"It Tore Your Heart Out"
2:  Árstíðir - "Síðasta kveðjan"
3:  Arcturus - "Evacuation Code Deciphered"
4:  Karnivool - "Themata"
5:  Coheed and Cambria - "The Dark Sentencer"
6:  Wormwood - "Sunnas hädanfärd"
7:  Arcane Roots - "Off the Floor"

---

Round 6 Scores:

Evermind --------------------------- 8.25
Lethean --------------------------- 8.25
soupytwist ----------------------- 8.25
ariich ---------------------------- 8
Nachtmerrie ------------------- 8
senecadawg2 ----------------- 8
Puppies_On_Acid ------------ 7.75
Vmadera00 ----------------- 7.75
Stadler --------------------- 7.5
Tomislav95 ---------------- 7.5
TAC ---------------------- 7.5
Buddyhunter1 ---------- 7
HOF -------------------- 7
SoundscapeMN ------- 7
twosuitluke ---------- 7
Elite ----------------- 6.75
Sacul --------------- 6.75
Crow -------------- 5

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Current Cumulative Standings (after 6 rounds):

SoundscapeMN ---------------- 49.75
Nachtmerrie -------------------- 48.75
Evermind ------------------------ 48.25
TAC -------------------------------- 47.5
HOF --------------------------------- 47.25
soupytwist --------------------------- 47.25
ariich ---------------------------------- 47
Lethean --------------------------------- 47
senecadawg2 ---------------------------- 46.5
Stadler ---------------------------------- 46.25
Tomislav95 ---------------------------- 44.5
Vmadera00 -------------------------- 44.5
Puppies_On_Acid ------------------ 44.25
twosuitluke ----------------------- 44
Buddyhunter1 ------------------- 43.75
Sacul ---------------------------- 43.75
Elite ---------------------------- 43.25
Crow -------------------------- 39.25
romdrums ------------------- 14.25 (had to drop out after the second round)

Round Score Breakdown:

ariich:  7.75 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 8 + 8 = 47
Buddyhunter1:  7.5 + 6.5 + 7.75 + 7 + 8 + 7 = 43.75
Crow:  6 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.5 + 7 + 5 = 39.25
Elite:  6.5 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 8.5 + 7.25 + 6.75 = 43.25
Evermind:  7.75 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8.25 = 48.25
HOF:  9 + 9 + 6.5 + 7.25 + 8.5 + 7 = 47.25
Lethean:  7.75 + 8.25 + 7.5 + 7 + 8.25 + 8.25 = 47
Nachtmerrie:  8.25 + 9 + 6.75 + 9 + 7.75 + 8 = 48.75
Puppies_On_Acid:  8 + 7 + 6.75 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.75 = 44.25
romdrums:  7.25 + 7 + x + x + x + x = 14.25
Sacul:  7.25 + 8.75 + 6 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 6.75 = 43.75
senecadawg2:  8 + 7 + 8.5 + 6.75 + 8.25 + 8 = 46.5
SoundscapeMN:  8 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 8.5 + 8.75 + 7 = 49.75
soupytwist:  6.5 + 6.75 + 9 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.25 = 47.25
Stadler:  8.5 + 7.5 + 7 + 7 + 8.75 + 7.5 = 46.25
TAC:  8.25 + 8.25 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 7.25 + 7.5 = 47.5
Tomislav95:  7 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 7 + 7.5 + 7.5 = 44.5
twosuitluke:  7.5 + 8.25 + 5.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7 = 44
Vmadera00:  7.25 + 7.75 + 8 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.75= 44.5

---

All GIF jokes aside, the scores for this round were indeed still the lowest yet (also with the lowest floor and ceiling), but some submissions did keep growing on me, even up through the last day or two and I bumped a few up from what they were.  So it turned out to be a more decent round than it seemed like at first. 

I'll post the mystery songs for round 7 tomorrow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol I: Variety & Reciprocity(R6 Results!)
« Reply #1495 on: March 06, 2023, 03:59:44 PM »
Fauxchestration!  :metal

Oof, still in 4th place, but tenuously.

Josh, regarding the Schenker, I find his first solo album has a real thin production. There's simply no power behind it. Simon's drums have a pitter patter sound to them, where the first album's songs just sound so much fuller and stronger on the live album.

I'm not a huge Gary Barden guy. Something about that second album works for me, but I find Schenker's  first album a lot weaker.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1496 on: March 06, 2023, 04:08:33 PM »
where the first album's songs just sound so much fuller and stronger on the live album...Something about that second album works for me, but I find Schenker's  first album a lot weaker.

Yeah, I just didn't find that notable of a difference between the production of those two tracks.  Maybe the rest of the albums make it more obvious, or how they're situated against the rest of their discography.  I know there are Scorpions albums in that era that I prefer sonically, for example.  But sometimes it's hard to tell in the vacuum of a roulette.  And both songs sound worse live to me aesthetically.  It's fun to watch Michael shred it up though. 

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: March 06, 2023, 04:13:45 PM »
Bottom 3 of the roulette let's goooooo :2metal: :2metal: :2metal:

That's fair, I forgot you were picky about production. I personally love the lo-fi sound of that album, even if part of it was accidental (they lost the high res masters and only had some 128kbps MP3s laying around), it just adds to the whole vibe of it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1498 on: March 06, 2023, 04:15:24 PM »
where the first album's songs just sound so much fuller and stronger on the live album...Something about that second album works for me, but I find Schenker's  first album a lot weaker.

Yeah, I just didn't find that notable of a difference between the production of those two tracks.  Maybe the rest of the albums make it more obvious, or how they're situated against the rest of their discography.  I know there are Scorpions albums in that era that I prefer sonically, for example.  But sometimes it's hard to tell in the vacuum of a roulette.  And both songs sound worse live to me aesthetically.  It's fun to watch Michael shred it up though.

Neither one of those albums has a great production. Roger Glover (I think) did the first and Ron Nevison did the second.  Most albums on Chrysalis never sounded great tbh.

Online HOF

« Reply #1499 on: March 06, 2023, 04:25:27 PM »
Clearly I need the mystery songs to springboard off of. I guess you could call PSB post rock. Their whole thing is kind of making musical documentaries around bits of archival material (speeches, propaganda films, interviews, etc.). This one in particular is about the closing of the Welsh coal mines. I wouldn’t want to listen to too much music like this, but I think this album in particular is a really compelling story. The Race for Space can be quite moving in places as well. Their latest album is less of that documentary style, but also a bit less interesting to me perhaps because of that.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1500 on: March 06, 2023, 04:37:40 PM »
(they lost the high res masters and only had some 128kbps MP3s laying around)

Eek, that doesn't help. 

Clearly I need the mystery songs to springboard off of.

I want to see if the pattern continues to hold for the next three rounds, but there has definitely been a statistical dip for the open rounds on average.  Vmad is for some reason the only person who consistently has scored better when I take the guard rails away.  For everyone else I probably should have made every round mystery song round. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1501 on: March 06, 2023, 05:21:43 PM »
 :metal :metal

I won a round, and with Arcturus!!  (Ok tied, but tied for first so I count that as a win).

Everything ICS Vortex does is pretty awesome to me, and that includes his demented laughing (at just the right places).  :)

Everyone complains about the production of that album; I'm glad it wasn't much of an issue for you.  It's one of my favorite albums and I think it's a fun coincidence that Silje guests on both it and Dead End Kings.

Harsh vocals aren't really their focus except the first album; it's mostly harsh.  Also their most recent album, Arcturian, has more of a mix of clean and harsh.  My favorites are the two with Simen; Sideshow Symphonies that these two tracks are from, and Arcturian.  But the first three are pretty awesome as well.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1502 on: March 06, 2023, 07:15:26 PM »
And well, not even being one of the most prominent fans of the band, you've managed to pick a selection of songs that appeals to me a bit more and has fewer of the issues the first batch of songs had.
Well, maybe I don't post much about then here, but I do love their music, and have not miss a single local show from them since the first time I saw them in 2011, except for 1 in 2018.

I agree with your assessment about their guitar tone. Specially early on their career, it was very thin and pitchy, but I think their tone has been pretty consistent since Good Apollo albums. The album with The Dark Sentencer, Vaxis I, won Claudio and Travis "Prog Guitarist of the year" (Though I'm not so sure they were the most deserving for 2018). It's a pretty good album (IMO) with couples of great tunes.

In keeping Secrets is a staple for their live show, and the song that gets the best crowd reaction besides "Welcome Home". In fact, when the second chorus comes in and the lyrics go "Man your own jackhammer", might be my favorite part of a Coheed show.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1503 on: March 06, 2023, 09:06:52 PM »
I agree with your assessment about their guitar tone. Specially early on their career, it was very thin and pitchy, but I think their tone has been pretty consistent since Good Apollo albums.

The weird thing is that it sounded better on "Gravemakers & Gunslingers" (2007) than "Gravity's Union" (2013), (not even counting the controversial intro), so it might just be an album-to-album grab-bag, some bands are like that.  Guitar tones can be so subjective, "thin" isn't really how I'd describe it, more kind of murky and flabby, but everyone seems to hear and describe them differently. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: March 06, 2023, 09:12:14 PM »
Climbing up!

As far as I'm concerned, the last writeup wins the round, so soupytwist won this one and I won the last.

Also wow 5/10 :lol That's almost 4/10!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.