Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 113226 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I probably won't update this often later, but while things are fresh and I'm in the mood for it...

Listened to four songs so far.  One is a bit better than the other three.  Those are all virtually tied right now, each has aspects I like more about it than the others, and other facets I don't enjoy quite as much, though nothing that outright annoys me.  I'll clearly need more listens to try and weigh all of that.  All good songs though, no duds yet. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:15:23 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
All good songs though, no duds yet.
That's because I haven't sent my song yet.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
A Dan Swano one off band

Technically a two-off, but yes, he has lots and lots of those.  That just happens to be one of my favorites.  It was actually a relatively late substitution.  I had two different candidate songs in that spot originally, but when lonestar started his top 50 countdown I decided I should plan to do one too in the near future, but don't want to overlap too much with anything here, and those other songs will be in that 50, so this was a perfect substitute. 

• DTF.org Member
So the first thing I thought of sending after listening to that Kingfisher Sky song was Ten Courts of Diyu, but you've already rated the new Therion album  :lol

Back to the drawing board :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Therion is kind of on the borderline of being banned, even though they're not on the list.  I've heard a decent number of their albums (including a few I haven't rated) and liked them, but haven't totally fallen in love with any of them yet.  So yeah, I'd prefer you send something different, but I might give that song another listen and give you a quick impression anyway. 

• DTF.org Member
Therion is kind of on the borderline of being banned, even though they're not on the list.  I've heard a decent number of their albums (including a few I haven't rated) and liked them, but haven't totally fallen in love with any of them yet.  So yeah, I'd prefer you send something different, but I might give that song another listen and give you a quick impression anyway.
Yeah, I definitely want to dig up stuff you haven't heard before. Don't worry, my music library is vast!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Oh and I may have missed this in the OP, but do you prefer we just PM you the Youtube links?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh and I may have missed this in the OP, but do you prefer we just PM you the Youtube links?

Email them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I'm not sure if I put it in the OP without checking, but if you can, try and send them to lithojazzosphere@outlook.com so my inbox here doesn't combust into a pile of cackling emojis. 

• DTF.org Member
I'm not sure if I put it in the OP without checking, but if you can, try and send them to lithojazzosphere@outlook.com so my inbox here doesn't combust into a pile of cackling emojis.
Roger that. :tup
:jamaritard:
:zombiepile:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Where'd you find that?   :lol

Online SoundscapeMN

hey, I'm up for playing.

• DTF.org Member
Where'd you find that?   :lol
Just one of the many secret forum emojis.

Aaaaaannnnd.....sent!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online HOF

Sent!

Online SoundscapeMN

Sent.

Trying not to think too much about these.

Offline Tomislav95

Both of those are great tunes. I believe if I got any of those (especially Odyssey one) I would rate them almost perfectly. Litho, you have to join my roulette ;D
Sent something heavy.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online HOF

Sent something not heavy, as is my custom! We’ll see how that works out I guess! I was just glad the Kingfisher Sky song wasn’t that heavy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I'm in for this.  I'm probably going to be an outlier in the sense of "you think THIS sounds like THAT?" but that's the Stadler secret sauce. 

I'll be sending later today.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I have to say, I haven't listened to metal much this year. From one listen, Kingfisher Sky song was enjoyable and I'd rank it somewhere around 7-7.5/10, I'm mildly interested in checking this band further. Odyssey however I didn't like much, wouldn't rank it higher than 5/10.

Sending in a few minutes. Just need to decide if I should go with prog rock or metal.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Love the Kingfisher Sky song - instant reaction was send something by The Gentle Storm....surprising not on the ban list, but a quick check of your RYM and you've reviewed it, so that's out. 

The Odyssey song reminds me of the more chuggy grunge bands AiC and Soundgarden - I like the song but much prefer the first one.  I had a couple of options here (that don't appear on your ban or RYM) but to be honest I wasn't happy with either.

So I still looking, I have one in mind but it's very loose on sounding like either track, do we get penalties for straying to far from the sound you are after?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I'm in for this.  I'm probably going to be an outlier in the sense of "you think THIS sounds like THAT?" but that's the Stadler secret sauce.

That's exactly what I'm counting on.   :tup

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Both of those are great tunes. I believe if I got any of those (especially Odyssey one) I would rate them almost perfectly.

Odyssey however I didn't like much, wouldn't rank it higher than 5/10.

Two opposite psychological strategies, I love it.   ;D

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I would like to say I sent a way better song than that Odyssey song. :P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

I like both songs. The Kingfisher Sky especially. I'm sending the first thing that came to my mind when I heard it, but like Stadler said, a lot of my submissions are probably going sound like non sequiturs.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
but like Stadler said, a lot of my submissions are probably going sound like non sequiturs.

That's half the fun, that some entries hopefully will sound like similar (possibly better, but unlikely) versions of what I sent that I wouldn't have thought of, and others won't at all, but I can still see a connection between them, and they're serendipitously great anyway. 

Offline senecadawg2

Sent!

I have to say, I haven't listened to metal much this year. From one listen, Kingfisher Sky song was enjoyable and I'd rank it somewhere around 7-7.5/10, I'm mildly interested in checking this band further. Odyssey however I didn't like much, wouldn't rank it higher than 5/10.

Sending in a few minutes. Just need to decide if I should go with prog rock or metal.

So what have you been listening to this year? And where have you been? I haven't seen your name around here in a while.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
OK, sent  :tup

Time to see what's up

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That's half the fun, that some entries hopefully will sound like similar (possibly better, but unlikely)

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

That's half the fun, that some entries hopefully will sound like similar (possibly better, but unlikely)

Well mine will not sound similar, but will sound better.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

I've spent decades hunting high and low for music that uniquely suits my taste.  The odds that you'll stumble in at the last minute and find something even better are stacked heavily against you.  :p  But hey, every once in awhile someone wins the lottery. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Is there still room for me? I've only just found out about this ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Missed this one. 

So I still looking, I have one in mind but it's very loose on sounding like either track, do we get penalties for straying to far from the sound you are after?

No, just the further away they are (and if they don't happen to drift towards a different sound I like), the more risk there is that they won't connect with me.  The safest strategy is to find songs just like them that I'm not familiar with.  But music that's more distant from them but still shares some elements in common could resonate with me, you never know.  I'm hoping for a spread of both approaches among the whole pool, and the ones I've listened to so far are definitely bearing that out. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:03:25 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online HOF

Litho, did you get my entry the other night? Having some trouble with that email account that I sent it from.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Litho, in terms of what's banned - is there anything in the "soft banned list" that I wouldn't pick up if I just use your RYM (which is how I do my ban lists as well)? Just a little confusing having two separate sources if both are needed, but I can do it if necessary.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.