Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 112977 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Do you have this saved somewhere? I swear it's like the fifth time you posted this. :lol

I really like the concept of mystery rounds, so I'm in! Gotta say though, 14 rounds and 15 participants (and counting) looks daunting. I definitely wouldn't be able to pull it off even when I could listen to music at work.

Can't wait to find out that the videos for mystery songs are not available in my country. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I'll list the artist and song titles, so if they're blocked for some reason you can try and look up alternate videos, or find them from other providers.  Worst case scenario maybe I can just e-mail you MP3s. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
:tup

Titles should be enough, I can find the files should that be necessary.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
I’m not in to playl but I find it interesting you’ve banned Absent Hearts but not Voyager. Those two are super related.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Also, I've scanned your banned list and Mastodon aren't there?! Are there going to be lots of other glaring omissions? I'm assuming there will be.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think I'll post the first two mystery songs tomorrow evening. 

So if I have this straight, you'll send two mystery songs, and then we send a song in a similar style?

Do you have this saved somewhere? I swear it's like the fifth time you posted this. :lol

I have the picture saved, but not the caption, but the caption is always similar because he looks like he has to take a shit when he sings.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

So if I have this straight, you'll send two mystery songs, and then we send a song in a similar style?

So wait do we choose which song we want to send a song similar to? Or send two songs?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

So wait do we choose which song we want to send a song similar to? Or send two songs?

I think two songs will have something in common, and we have to send another song similar to them.

Online twosuitsluke

I think two songs will have something in common, and we have to send another song similar to them.

Send 5 songs, got it

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Send 5 songs, got it
And then 15 songs in the free for all rounds, right.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I have the picture saved, but not the caption, but the caption is always similar because he looks like he has to take a shit when he sings.  :lol

You should watch Ronnie Atkins sing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, but Jawn only looks like he's dying.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Also, I've scanned your banned list and Mastodon aren't there?! Are there going to be lots of other glaring omissions? I'm assuming there will be.

Neither is Coheed! That's two bands I can send  :metal

Though he does have 5 Mastodon albums on his RYM
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I’m not in to playl but I find it interesting you’ve banned Absent Hearts but not Voyager. Those two are super related.

Yeah, so that's because on August Earth the vocalist is Daniel Tompkins, one of my favorites.  I guess technically someone could send their next one, which I believe has a different singer, but Dan's involvement was my main reason for liking them.  And I've heard a few songs from Voyager, but no full albums yet, so they're on the table. 

I'm sure there will be, but that's not really one of them, Vmad has found the key...

Though he does have 5 Mastodon albums on his RYM

To get a fuller picture, you have to combine the soft ban list with my RYM.  I've heard enough Mastodon to know what they're about, but I haven't really been fully onboard with them yet.  Their latest was the first album of theirs I thoroughly enjoyed, but even then I'm not super familiar with it.  I like Brann's drumming, he's probably my favorite vocalist of them, I recognize their talent, and I like a couple songs, but on the whole they haven't hit for me.  So they're up for grabs, as someone could potentially find a song(s) that connects with me, but they are a bit risky.  Hardcore-derived bands in general to be that way for me, I'm more selective about them. 

I'm leaning towards sending two songs in the rock/metal-oriented rounds, and three in the other rounds, since they will be further out from standard DTF tastes and will give people more optionality (and me more songs/artists to recommend).  So you listen to those, and send one song back.  Doesn't necessarily have to be in the same genre, some of you probably won't have extensive libraries of those particular styles, but ideally I should be able to hear something in it that connects back to one of the songs I sent. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 09:33:24 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Alright, so I'm gonna leave sign-ups open for quite some time.  I'd love to get a few more in, I have a few in mind in particular, but I don't want to name anyone and have everyone else feel left out.  :p  I'll even allow people to come in rounds later like wolfking and I did in Luke's if they want once they see all the fun they've been missing out on.   :biggrin:

But I'm going to open up round one submissions now.  To keep my minuscule inbox here from going nuclear, send submissions to lithojazzosphere@outlook.com, but I'll try and check both just in case people forget.  Youtube links are easiest for me to manage, but pretty much anything else is ok as well. 

Round one should be a softball to warm up.  Maybe not my specific slant on it, but the styles in general. 

Kingfisher Sky - "To Turn the Tables" - from the To Turn the Tables EP, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqNziM06n-8

Odyssey - "Amon-Ra" - from the Odyssey EP, 1999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CEhn5WeXVU

Send back one song that reminds me of something about the vibes of either of these.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 03:07:46 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Jeez, 10 and 7 minutes? Didn't realize there'd be homework. :biggrin:

Listening now.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I think I got a song to submit already!  :metal

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

"Reciprocity" is in the title, after all.  ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I haven't even finished reading the OP. ;D

This is going to cut into my Katatonia listening. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Litho, if you have other people in mind, just send out some PMs.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Sent something, let me know if you got it.

By the way, I don't think you addressed this in the OP but are you accepting songs in other languages?

Offline romdrums

Whoops. Sent to your inbox here. :facepalm: I'll send it to you via email as well, just in case.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sent! I hope it's in one of those magic keys. :D

Online twosuitsluke

I haven't even finished reading the OP. ;D

This is going to cut into my Katatonia listening. :lol

These are the sorts of posts that keep me coming back to roulettes  :rollin

Well done boys  :tup

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

I kind of hoped everyone would just find it organically and didn't want to really badger anyone, but I did just send a few invites to see if there are any bites. 

Sent something, let me know if you got it.

By the way, I don't think you addressed this in the OP but are you accepting songs in other languages?

Received. 

Yeah, those are fine for me.  Sometimes I even prefer them.  A good chance I suppose to point out again that lyrics are low on my list of priorities in evaluating music.  They can enhance or detract, certainly, but I'm more concerned about vocal quality and delivery, instrumentation, production and such. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 03:14:01 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I kind of hoped everyone would just find it organically and didn't want to really badger anyone, but I did just send a few invites to see if there are any bites. 

I had never considered playing in a roulette until I received a PM invite, which I totally appreciated.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Sent something that sort of has some similarities to the Kingfisher Sky song kinda maybe
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have a RYM question.
When I set up my account, I listed my favorite 5 bands. How can I add to that list?

EDIT..Found it!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

I had never considered playing in a roulette until I received a PM invite, which I totally appreciated.

That's a good point, I'd returned to posting here regularly for over a year and was just overwhelmed skimming one or two, so I didn't even consider joining at first, but have subsequently found they're absolutely worth the bit of effort. 

Online twosuitsluke

I have listened to the two songs and have less of an idea of what to send than before.

The Egyptian feel of Amon-ra had me contemplating Nile, but they're banned!

Offline Lethean

Sent.  I tried not to overthink it because I kinda felt the same as twosuitsluke after listening.

Online twosuitsluke

Sent.  I tried not to overthink it because I kinda felt the same as twosuitsluke after listening.

Now I think about it, they both did sound a lot like the band I was planning to send anyway...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Now I think about it, they both did sound a lot like the band I was planning to send anyway...

The layers of the onion will get deeper as we go along.  :)  Part of the intention with the mystery song rounds is for people to go into them with no preconceived notions of what to send, and purely respond to what musical ideas the songs I send elicit.  And then the pre-planned bands you've been thinking about are for the FFAs and possibly some of the later rounds. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Fun fact:  I've already listened to one song, and probably have enough for a write-up just from jotting down notes as they came to me.  I just need to congeal them into a pithier first impression, and then obviously more listens later on to see how my opinion evolves and see what else I notice. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Interesting picks for the first rounds songs. A Dan Swano one off band and a band I've heard of but never listened to before.....Challenge accepted! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar