Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 113043 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
That's fair, their vocalist is certainly unique and his voice ended growing on me a lot, and I feel it fits their style quite well.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Yeah, I might talk more broadly about this in some preliminary thoughts before posting results in a few days, but vocalists like that can be hard to give a fair shake in a single song format.  Ideally you need more listens, more time inbetween, more songs, even more albums. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Those vocals weren't that bad, especially in Pt. 1b.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Well, it's a relative scale, but I don't want to spoil too much yet.  :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Also, I'm not sure what other people do, but my current intention is to try not to take into account a band's other material.  That has the potential for unfortunate consequences for multi-part songs that make more sense in a greater context, but I'm not sure it's fair to do it any other way. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Also, I'm not sure what other people do, but my current intention is to try not to take into account a band's other material.  That has the potential for unfortunate consequences for multi-part songs that make more sense in a greater context, but I'm not sure it's fair to do it any other way.

Pretty sure nobody takes anything other than the song submitted into consideration. Never heard of that, actually.

Oh, should I have waited in case you had to modify something.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

Nope. 

16?

Also for stats
What's the breakdown of bands you've never heard of against the ones you knew.  And songs you'd heard before against new ones to you.

Offline Nachtmerrie

I hope 2 but 14 seems possible as well

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
16?

Yes. 

Also for stats
What's the breakdown of bands you've never heard of against the ones you knew.  And songs you'd heard before against new ones to you.

Heard a couple albums – Renaissance - not that album, but possibly heard that song at some point separately, but didn't remember it

Heard an album – Saga - including that song once or twice, but didn't remember it

Heard a few songs – Brothers of Metal, Caligula’s Horse, IQ, Jani Liimatainen, Lost Domain - but not those particular ones to my recollection

Heard of, knew something about them, but hadn’t listened to that I can recall – A Novelist, Chthonic, Cobra the Impaler, Galahad, Gazpacho

Never heard of, or at least couldn’t have told you anything about them beforehand – Amadeus Awad’s Eon, Barock Project, Daydream XI, Knight Area, Tamino, The Far Meadow

I hope 2

Correct!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of, or at least couldn’t have told you anything about them beforehandAmadeus Awad’s Eon, Barock Project, Daydream XI, Knight Area, Tamino, The Far Meadow

:2metal:

I just hope it's not 2/10 or something. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Here are the filled out early impressions. 

Early Impressions:

1:  Tomislav95 - Galahad - "Empires Never Last" - This is a melding of a branch of prog I find intriguing, and another I don't know as well, but I'm not sure there's quite enough payoff for all of the buildup. 

2:  Nachtmerrie - Cobra the Impaler - "Scorched Earth" - Not what I was expecting, but actually now I'm not sure what I was expecting.  You may have found some of the hacks into my taste though, because I'm really digging this, especially the heavy guitar tones. 

3:  Stadler - Saga - "Wind Him Up" - You took a big risk, but it might pay off, this is more fun than I remembered. 

4:  Vmadera00 - Caligula's Horse - "Dragonfly" - A lot of really cool elements individually, but I'm not sure they all quite come together. 

5:  ariich - Jani Liimatainen - "My Father's Son" - This feels like cheating, but like 425, I encourage cheating. 

6:  TAC - Lost Domain - "In the Waiting Room of Death" - This might be the most impressive blending of some of the unique features of my two songs, but it also goes beyond them in other ways. 

7:  Puppies_On_Acid - Knight Area - "A Million Lives" - 24 hours after listening, I couldn't remember a note of it.  After the second play, I had the chorus stuck in my head the next day.  Go figure. 

8:  HOF - The Far Meadow - "A Gentle Warrior" - I really want to just replay this one again and skip the rest of my listening for the night.  I love the enchanting vocals, and what tasty drum and cymbal tones. 

9:  Elite - Tamino - "Habibi" - A bold salvo, we'll see if it was worth it. 

10:  Cyril - A Novelist - "Caveat Lector" - There is a lot of interest going on instrumentally, but I think the vocals are going to sink this one. 

11:  SoundscapeMN - Barock Project - "Happy To See You" - I was worried this might be the lowest scoring one of the round yet in the first minute or two, but it won me over by the end. 

12:  twosuitluke - Chthonic - "Supreme Pain For the Tyrant" - In a vacuum I should love this, especially with some of the more unique elements, but it's not standing out as much as I'd like it to. 

13:  senecadawg2 - Renaissance - "Ashes Are Burning" - I'm so glad you've brought this band back to my attention.  Sick bass tone, and what a vocalist. 

14:  Buddyhunter1 - Elder - "Sanctuary" - The guitars really carry this one, but I'm not sure it'll be quite enough. 

15:  Evermind - Amadeus Awad's Eon - "Incarnation" - You've found a golden loophole.  Bravo! 

16:  soupytwist - Brothers of Metal - "Yggdrasil" - I could see this band having other songs I would like more than this one. 

17:  Sacul - Gazpacho - "I've Been Walking I" - Not quite what I thought they'd sound like.  An intoxicating cinematic and moody vibe, but I'm not sure I'm into the vocalist.

18:  Lethean - Daydream XI - "Forgettable" - What an inauspicious beginning, which turned out to be prophetic initially, because I couldn't remember a thing about it the next day.  Maybe it'll grow on me though. 

19:  romdrums - IQ - "A Missile" - Heavier than I expected, and with some cool synths, this seems promising.

Writeups are coming along nicely.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I should add that right now the top and bottom few are fairly clear to me, but a bunch of you are clustered in the middle, and weighing high points of one song vs. another, or the high point of one vs. the consistency of another, has always been a struggle for me in evaluating and ranking bands, albums, and songs, and it's no different here.  One additional listen can easily catapult a song 10 spots if I notice something else interesting about it.  My rankings could very well be different in a few weeks, but at some point in the next few days I'll have to set them "in stone", oh well.  And I've come to become fond of most of these, so even some of the lowest ranked ones you're going to read my writeups and think, "but wait, you seemed to like all these different things about it, so why is it ranked so low?"  And yep, unfortunately that's how it'll have to be.  Some will be more obvious than others what my hangup was. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
the vocals rule so we're probably not gonna get along, but that doesn't surprise me  :corn

Offline Lethean

Clearly I chose a song with the wrong title... :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
the vocals rule so we're probably not gonna get along, but that doesn't surprise me  :corn

Maybe I meant "sink", like "sink a hole-in-one".  :neverusethis:

But on a few of these the tenor of my impression and their final score after many more listens may not match each other.  We shall soon see...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Done drafts of all the writeups with tentative scores, just need to edit and tweak them a bit.  Aiming for tomorrow, depending upon what happens later today. 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Done drafts of all the writeups with tentative scores, just need to edit and tweak them a bit.  Aiming for tomorrow, depending upon what happens later today.

Yea, you probably need to add a point or two to my score, let's be honest.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline senecadawg2

Fantastic. That first impression is looking tasty!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
So here comes my least favorite part of the roulette - disappointing people.  I quite like most of the songs in this round, and some of them are going to be near the bottom.  Some people have probably spent the last few days worried about my more negative impressions, and others will feel let down by more positive impressions not leading to high rankings.  C'est la vie.  There are plenty more rounds, and surely something else will hit better in one of them. 

I should note that I'm a bit of a music theory/gear/production nerd, so I'll probably throw out things from time to time that piqued my interest and might look like Greek, but a few of you will probably understand it right away, and there should be enough that hopefully makes sense for everyone else regardless.  Those in the Katatonia discography thread have probably already noticed this anyway. 

Cyril - A Novelist - "Caveat Lector"

First Impression:  "There is a lot of interest going on instrumentally, but I think the vocals are going to sink this one."

So, where to start with this.  The first listen was a bit overwhelming, and I didn't really like it that much.  After repeated listens the instrumentation kept growing on me as I got a feel for it and some of the details started becoming more noticeable. 

There are a lot of cool harmonized guitar lines panned to either side.  In other sections they're playing independent parts, still hard-panned, which keeps things fresh.  Around 4:00 is particularly nice with the guitar melody ping-ponging from side to side in the mix.  Some pretty sweet bass lines (4:29 is particularly good).  Some nice organ playing, I especially like the ending with the revolving chromatic drones, and then how it ends unresolved on the second degree of the scale, it keeps the tension up.  The drumming is pretty intense, but varied, with some effective tom beats, hat barks, some cross-sticking, all the way to some blasts and light speed double-bass here and there.  They're a little overly triggered-sounding for my tastes, but this is definitely in the tech death direction, so that's pretty par for the course. 

I like that there's some saxophone on the track, but something in the mixing is off about it, it's a bit too thin and squawky for my palate.  However, I just can't get into these vocals.  There seem to be three main different types of them, a varied pitch harsh delivery (probably the least rankling of the three), a moderately low-pitched clean, and a higher-pitched shouty clean, but none do anything for me.  They strike me as a extreme metalified version of post-hardcore, but it's much more miss than hit.  The clean harmonies in the last minute are probably the most intriguing-sounding of the vocal elements, but are just not nearly enough to save the song. 

Score:  6/10

---

soupytwist - Brothers of Metal - "Yggdrasil"

Early Impression - "I could see this band having other songs I would like more than this one."

This is the type of song that tends to either go right by me, or will have me pressing "repeat" over and over again.  On an average album like this, 80-90% of the tracks will be the former, and maybe one or two will be the latter.  Unfortunately, this is closer to the former.  Numerous plays have made me appreciate it a bit more than I did at first, but I'm not sure it's going to click at this point.  It has that sort of stereotypical triumphant, sing-along chorus that they're probably hoping to get 200,000 people to sing along to at Wacken.  And maybe in a live environment this song really comes alive and achieves that effect.  It just hasn't for me. 

My favorite thing is the interplay between the vocalists.  I could definitely see enjoying other material (maybe even in this band) from the primary vocalist, she has a pretty strong and melodic delivery.  I notice that she guested on Orden Ogan's album last year, which I enjoyed, so I've already heard her in another context, outside of the few random songs of BoM's that I've checked out over the years.  The co-vocalist has a cool gritty approach that reminds me a bit of Rene Pedersen, the current vocalist of Mercenary.  Even knowing a decent amount of music theory, I've never been able to figure out what it is that makes some melodies catchy and others less so, but I suppose even hit songwriters don't have that completely down to a science either.  It's just that this type of anthemic chorus you find in power metal a lot didn't hit for me here.  Melodies from Swedish bands are frequently more memorable, but I suppose it doesn't always work. 

Compared to many of the other songs in this round, the instrumentation is relatively bare, which is sometimes effective if the other elements are working, but here it just means there isn't enough to latch onto.  I do like some of the guitar harmonies, like at 2:31 and 4:16, and there are some nice melodic bass lines. 

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to lyrics and conceptual aspects of most albums, but I have always had a bit of a thing for mythology (Greco-Roman, Norse, Egyptian, etc.), so while it might not boost the score, it can't hurt.  I'm not taking into account imagery either, but I have seen some of their other music videos in the past, and watched the one for this song to see if it would draw my attention to anything else musically of interest.  The visuals are a bit hokey and gimmicky, which often falls flat for me, but maybe they also translate better live, and I suppose they do differentiate them from the sea of other bands. 

Score:  6.5/10

---

Elite - Tamino - "Habibi"

Early Impression - "A bold salvo, we'll see if it was worth it."

This is probably the most different song of the round from everything else.  Increasingly over time I've come to love a lot of moody, haunting music somewhat like this.  I can definitely hear the talent.  He's very expressive and has an impressive amount of control over his voice.  I'm not normally someone who cares about lyrics, but sometimes this type of music is more of a vehicle for storytelling and/or emotional catharsis, and from a quick glance at them it appears to be the latter.  This is certainly a well-made song, and I can see how for the right type of listener this song is a powerful experience.  I didn't put it in the impression, but another early vibe I had from this is that it feels a bit like an acoustic Muse song.  I can still kind of hear that, but successive listens continued to establish it as more of its own entity. 

But for me, I can't quite get there.  The style is very minimalistic, which means I really need to connect with either the vocalist's voice or the melodies of the song.  I was hoping with enough listens that at some point it would happen, but so far it hasn't.  This could be a song I'll love next year, I'm not sure.  Another way that songs with sparse instrumentation like this often resonate with me more is if there's more studio ambiance added, with richer reverbs, delays, and such.  But that wasn't the direction they wanted to go with this, the intention seems to be for a more direct and intimate experience with vocal vulnerability.  I also read that Thom Yorke is an influence of his, and that is another voice that doesn't usually gel with me.  Vocal falsettos are often a risky area for me.  There are examples where they work, but they aren't typical. 

The instrumentation that is there does contain a number of interesting elements.  I like the interplay between the two pianos panned to either side starting around 1:20.  3:07 has some cool counterpoint between the guitar on the left and the piano on the right. 

Thematically, this song actually might have fit one of my later rounds better, but with this strategy, you'll probably be sending your prog metal masterpiece in that one.  :-)

Score:  6.5/10

---

Tomislav95 - Galahad - "Empires Never Last"

Early Impression - "This is a melding of a branch of prog I find intriguing, and another I don't know as well, but I'm not sure there's quite enough payoff for all of the buildup."

I must admit that my attention was piqued by the intro.  It has a Tool-ish groove to it with the bass lick.  The line over the verse at 2:33 is nice with some walking bits and all.  The synthetic voice in the intro is also quite cool, and I was getting the feel of an epic journey.  I particularly like how the riff evolves a bit over time, gradually going more to the sharp seventh instead of the flattened seventh to increase the tension.  But ultimately, there wasn't quite enough payoff for me.  One challenge is that I could never connect with the vocals. 

The keyboards are definitely a nice touch and give a very unique feel among all the other songs in the round.  The Rhodes in the verse in particular, but also some of the squelchy resonant acid patches that are most noticeable at a spot like 2:20.  I don't like the ornamental patch so much at 3:44 and elsewhere, I'm not sure if it's the timbre or the panning, which I normally like.  I like the arrangement of the patches around 0:57, with the fuzzier synth giving some bite, and the diminished chords in the other synth adding tension.  The passage at 2:24 has some interesting orchestral patch hits in the background, which is a flavor I don't hear too often.  Bringing in the overdriven organ at 6:55 also adds some interest to that section, but not quite enough, as it's one of a number of portions that seem to go on a bit too long for me.  The choral patch at 7:49 adds some needed drama. 

There is definitely some fascinating guitar work, such as a few neat harmonics starting around 0:18.  I don't particularly like the muted clean guitar on the left at that spot though.  Generally that sound needs more overdrive to sit in the mix right for me, or sometimes it can work with the right delay setting.  The chorusing does probably make it the best of that type of sound in this round though.  There are some other cool guitar tones though, like at 2:43.   It makes for a really chill vibe along with the Rhodes piano.  I also like the texture of the chorused guitar octaves at 5:19.  The guitar solo is a little plain, it might have benefited from a bit more flair. 

This is probably one of the most granular details, but it sounds like in the passages such as 2:33 that the drummer is playing the hat with his left foot, which is often a nice trick to add some interesting motion to an otherwise fairly straightforward rhythm.  The flanged and ping-ponged drum loop at 7:15 is also fun.  The Flintstones feet-style ending of the song with the bass and the band sting is another nice touch. 

For rather inexplicable reasons the vocals and melodies just haven't fully connected with me.  This song in many ways is quite similar to "Forgettable", which will come up later in the rankings, but it doesn't work as well for me.  If I look at the individual components, I should like the song more, but somehow everything just doesn't add up to quite the sum of its parts. 

Score:  7/10

---

Sacul - Gazpacho - "I've Been Walking I"

Early Impression - "Not quite what I thought they'd sound like.  An intoxicating cinematic and moody vibe, but I'm not sure I'm into the vocalist."

This is a band that occasionally pops up on lists of artists related to types of music I want to explore more, but I just never seem to get to them.  The things I like about them, I really like, some of the most tantalizing and unique elements of the round.  But it doesn't all completely come together, and the vocal style doesn't comport with me.  If Anathema covered this and left some of the extant elements present this would likely be an amazing song.  The vocals aren't so bad when they're softer, but I just don't care for his fuller timbre, it bothers me for some reason. 

My favorite section is probably the last couple minutes, with the focus on ambiance and chamber strings, particularly violin.  It reminds me a bit of The Village, which is one of my favorite film scores, and really, favorite albums period.  It has a mysterious and haunting feel that I love.  Then I also adore around 3:49, which has some beautiful understated piano, and with the exquisite elegiac vocals in the background. 

The work from the rest of the band is solid as well.  Some brush playing, sweeping tom fills, crunchy cymbals, delicate ride nuance at 2:25, a relaxing choral pad layering that section, some tasty organ in other spots, all are superb.  Some chromatic percussion, a warm overdriven guitar tone, some acoustic chords, a bit of slide playing, and some punchy bass lines in spots, more great stuff. 

Early on I was wondering if this song is going to be penalized for not being able to be placed in its proper context, as the first portion of a multi-part epic.  I suppose that is still possible that it would work better with the second part, but I'm familiar enough with it now that it does seem to stand on its own, even if there's more to it.  I will definitely be checking out the second part after this round just to see how it connects. 

Score:  7.25/10

---

romdrums - IQ - "A Missile"

Early Impression - "Heavier than I expected, and with some cool synths, this seems promising."

So this is a band that I knew a bit more about going in.  I'm aware that they're a prominent exponent of the neo-prog scene (though I subsequently have read that they're a bit hesitant about associating themselves with it, but what band actually likes being labeled?).  I've heard a few of their older songs a few times each, though not recently enough to really remember much about them.  So fairly quickly, I was surprised at how relatively heavy they were compared to what else I've heard in the neo-prog scene, though I read that was one of their known attributes, so perhaps I don't recall the songs I heard well, or they weren't typical examples of their sound. 

So while maintaining the heaviness, they are obviously quite keyboard-driven, with a lot of fabulous spacey synths and sound effects, which I really enjoy.  There's also a lot of variety, with some Hammond organ work (though a tad low in the mix for my taste), and some cool dark choral patch elements punching in to accentuate some of the more unusual chord changes they move to.  I love the atmosphere that creates, which gives a bit of extra "metal" kick, along with the phrygian primary melody.  I went back and forth on the synth patch that becomes prominent around 2:01 and keeps coming back in various spots.  It's quite bright and buzzy, at times seeming to add a unique flavor, and other times seeming a bit too much.  I dig the theremin-esque melody doubling on the left around 3:43.  I also like the chromatic percussion sound that peeked out a few times, such as 3:45 and the ending.  Some cool warm synth bass in that section as well. 

Concerning the drumming, I love high-pitched toms, and they're in abundance here, with all kinds of delectable rhythmic variety in the fills, going between triplet, herta, and 32nd note ones.  The vocals are serviceable, but don't especially connect with me.  The guitar work provides more of a backbone to add to the driving propulsion, but the 12-string-ish touches like around 3:43 are refreshing.  Unexpected bass harmonics at 2:33, tremendous.  The album cover art for this one is also pretty sweet. 

All that said, I liked the song initially, but it didn't really grow any further on me, while most of the others did, and slowly leapfrogged it.  It might be that I found the vocals rather plain, and there wasn't quite enough of interest from the guitars, as much as I relish the synth parts. 

« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:13:58 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Vmadera00 - Caligula's Horse - "Dragonfly"

Early Impression - "A lot of really cool elements individually, but I'm not sure they all quite come together."

This has been the hardest song in the round for me to get a handle on, and the one I put off 'til last for writing up, hoping for more clarity in the interim.  In isolation, I like a great many things about it, which I'll get into shortly.  But something about the structure and blending of them has been hard to wrap my head around.  Maybe that makes it the most "progressive" song in this batch, I'm not sure. 

The feel I get from them is Leprous meets Opeth.  The former is a band I haven't really gotten to click yet, and maybe that's part of the issue.  Based on the intro I was hoping I was going to love this, with the fingerpicked acoustics, piano, and the E-bow melody sustaining in the background.  The bass and kick coordinate unusually well at 1:04 for a thick, tight, and punchy 6/8 groove, and that riff at 1:34 is pretty massive.  There are a lot of interesting chord progressions, and I feel like on listen 20 or so this is going to hit me like a ton of bricks, but I'm not going to have time to get there in this roulette.  Even as I work on this writeup I can feel the song very slowly growing on me, but maybe not quite enough to bump it up the rankings. 

The vocals are fine in the lower and middle registers, but I don't care for the higher falsetto.  That might be another part of the Leprous similarity that goes right by me.  The unison section in 4:37 is pretty fun with all of the rhythmic experimentation.  Some wonderful harmonies punctuate portions of the guitar solo afterwards as well.  The tritonal tension in the chord at 6:55 might be favorite in the song, I keep looking forward to that moment when it reappears.  Apparently their guest pianist also plays flute in other songs on this album, so I may need to check it out for those tracks. 

---

twosuitluke - Chthonic - "Supreme Pain For the Tyrant"

Early Impression - "In a vacuum I should love this, especially with some of the more unique elements, but it's not standing out as much as I'd like it to."

I was aware that Chthonic is one of the more acclaimed Asian metal bands, but for some reason I had thought they were closer to a purer strain of death metal, I didn't expect them to be this melodic.  There is a lot to like here.  A cornucopia of solid riffs, I particularly like the ones at 0:29 and 0:54.  1:06 is even more energetic with the same riff going, but now with stuttering double bass.  For the guitars, it's not quite my preferred guitar tone, kind of Mors Principium Est-ish, but it works well enough once I acclimated to it.  The solo could have been a bit longer, but they might have been going for short and sweet. 

Easily the most piquant aspect was some of the traditional instrumentation they employed.  There is erhu lurking around in the background fairly often, a very underrated instrument.  I was initially frustrated with how low another unusual instrument was in the mix in the final section, but then it played solo to end the track, which was sublime.  Apparently that is a moon lute, which is a new instrument to me.  I'll definitely be looking at the rest of the album to hear how they incorporate shehnai, shakuhachi, dizi, and conch, they seem like the Taiwanese Eluveitie. 

I'm pretty neutral on the vocals.  They don't bother me, but they don't really catch my attention either.  They sound best when they stack higher and lower ones together to emphasize certain moments.  So this is yet another case of where I like many parts of it on their own, but it doesn't have quite the synergy I wish it did. 

Score:  7.5/10

---

Buddyhunter1 - Elder - "Sanctuary"

Early Impression - "The guitars really carry this one, but I'm not sure it'll be quite enough."

I'm finding it amusing that Mastodon was brought up early in the thread, and just in this round we have two bands a bit similar to them, that I like better than Mastodon, at least based on these tracks.  The resemblance to the delivery of Brann Dailor (my favorite of their vocalists) is kind of uncanny.  The drummer isn't up to that level though.  And this is definitely a band where the guitars really take center stage. 

The fuzzy guitar tone in stoner metal often does not work for me, but with this band it mostly does.  There is a lot of textural variety in both the heavier and lighter parts, which keeps it quite engaging to listen to, which is important in a song this long, with minimal vocals and ornamental instrumentation.  In particular I love the passage around 2:50 with the more chilled-out chords and then the psychedelic univibe solo.  Then there's the fun passage switching between major and minor at 4:31, which perfectly foreshadows the brief key change at 5:17.  I like the texture of the clean modulated arpeggios as well at 5:54.  I didn't catch it the first time, but the clean riff on the right at 6:14 establishes a theme, which is brought back at 7:11 as a heavier riff.  I love when bands build songs that way, and you notice all the details on later listens. 

This is almost a three-for-one song.  There was a partial pause to provide a segue to a different section earlier, but I like how the guitars completely ring out starting at 8:31, and then we get a brand new passage in lydian mode that sort of sounds like how Devin Townsend would come across if he tried his hand at this style of metal.  Quite dreamy and hypnotic.  I can see that this is one of the more intriguing things about roulettes, that you can dive a bit deeper into samples of styles that you normally tend to ignore.  It's not on my list of genres I dislike or don't get, because there are a handful of other stoner-ish bands I enjoy, but the massive popularity of that style of doom-adjacent metal has tended to flummox me at times.  Maybe the secret to better stoner metal is the prog elements, and maybe some of the post-metal-ish facets, such as how they are present here.  But as exemplary as the guitar work is, it's not enough to overcome some of the next songs that are firing on more cylinders. 

Score:  7.5/10

---

Lethean - Daydream XI - "Forgettable"

Early Impression - "What an inauspicious beginning, which turned out to be prophetic initially, because I couldn't remember a thing about it the next day.  Maybe it'll grow on me though."

Well, hopefully I haven't sent you spiraling into depression over the past few days worrying about this one.  If I did, hopefully the bleakest Katatonia songs cheered you up.  :-)  As the impression hints, this was one of the two songs of the whole block that I couldn't remember anything about the next day.  And somehow, just like "A Million Lives", it turned out that I just needed more time with it.  By the fourth time that chorus was hitting like a hammer.  I can tell I'm going to be sending mixed signals all roulette long, with two of the moodiest songs scoring low even though my tastes have drifted more and more in that direction over the years, and seemingly similar songs like this one and "Empires Never Last" that rely on a lot of build-up with repetitive riffs scoring quite differently.  What can I say, some of it is just inexpressible, but I'll try. 

The opening twinkling guitars playing a synchronized arpeggio is really appealing, it sort of simulates a 12-string.  There are nice overdriven bass fills following it, which also come up again on occasion.  The heavy guitar tone is pretty solid.  They dip back into the pool again with that enigmatic passage at 6:15, with more dual acoustic guitar action (might be a piano doubling the line there as well).  Some occasional fun DT-esque unison guitar/keyboard runs like at 6:09 that add panache.  I love the build-up effect of 4:34 with the palm-muted chugging for one guitar part with the melodic line going for the other one.  Another creative part is the teamwork at 1:07 where the left guitar starts a motif which the right guitar finishes with a stab, and it keeps cycling. 

The vocals keep growing on me.  At first I wanted to hear the song with a different vocalist, but by this point he's perfectly well-suited to the band.  The power of that octave-unison with the high note at 1:50 knocked me back in my chair the first time I heard it, no idea why I didn't recall it the next day.  4:06 has a milder version of that trick that I relish as well.  I now really look forward to 4:51 each time with the crazy tumbling lick from the whole band setting up the harmony vocals shining all by themselves for a few seconds, and how they really sell getting into that chorus.  It's another one that really got stuck in my head at points over the past week or so.  The interplay of the different vocal tracks ping-ponging back and forth in the stereo spectrum at 8:26 is another really cool moment. 

Keyboards definitely aren't the focus here, but they add interest in a few spots.  The organ patch sounds fake, but it's not a deal-breaker.  There are all kinds of different pad textures that weave in and out of the mix that add some motion to what are sometimes rather static synchronized riffs from the guitars and drums.  I also like the piano ending of the song. 

Score:  7.75/10

---

ariich - Jani Liimatainen - "My Father's Son"

Early Impression - "This feels like cheating, but like 425, I encourage cheating."

So Jani Liimatainen isn't a new name to me.  The first four Sonata Arctica albums are incredible, and I really like his work with Anette Olzon in The Dark Element.  I was aware he had a solo album this year, and I'd checked out a couple songs from it, but hadn't gotten around to the whole thing yet.  I probably would have at some point, but I'm glad you've fast-tracked highlighting it for me. 

I knew this album had some heavy-hitting special guests, but I couldn't remember exactly who, so I was trying to play a guessing game while listening.  The most obvious one was the vocalist.  There are moments when he's a dead-ringer for Tony Kakko.  I thought at the time that Tony might have been on a track, so he was a real possibility, but there were lines vocally where he sounded different.  I haven't spent nearly as much time with the post-Reckoning Night Sonata Arctica albums, so there's always the chance that vocalists sound different a decade or two than their early work that has been immortalized for you.  So finding out that ultimately this wasn't Tony was perfectly fine, since this vocalist has a fascinating voice and I'll be interested in seeing what else he's done.  The more aggressive chorus at 3:30 is really powerful, with splendid complimentary harmonies.  In the opposite direction, I'm not normally crazy about vocal falsetto, but the brief moment around 8:32 is really pleasant. 

There are also other musicians I like here, such as Rolf Pilve on drums, who has been in many bands I've liked, and while not doing anything particularly flashy, with the help of the mixing, has some fun tom work that is a joy to listen to as the different toms ping-pong around the stereo field.  He tends to be buried a bit under the pile of guitars and synths, I could count at least four tracks of different guitar parts and three of synths, all seven going at once in spots.  The offbeat ride bell in the 6/8 section at 5:12 is fun. 

Then there's Jens Johansson, who is one of my favorite synthesizer wizards.  The keyboards are quite fabulous for most of the songs with all of the sparkling synth lines and such, but there's no overt signature Jens solo or neoclassical harpsichord or such a trademark for him, so I'm not entirely clear what parts he is responsible for compared to Jani, who is also credited with keyboards on the album.  The piano work in the middle is also nice.  The synth part around 6:00 might be my favorite in the song. 

This isn't my favorite guitar work of Jani's, but he does have some really neat moments.  The acoustic solo is one, and the tone for the muted part at 4:21 is the perfect sound for that type of passage.  4:34 is a good lower-gain melodic short solo from him as well.  The piano and muted guitar mirroring each other briefly at 4:40 is also delightful.  Really, that whole mellower section has a lot of enjoyable rhythmic interaction between the instruments. 

The main thing that bugged me about this song is the last few minutes.  If starting at 7:58 was its own separate track on an album, I would probably be fine with it.  It's an intriguing cinematic portion that swells nicely.  It's clearly from a synthesizer and/or samples rather than being the real deal, but it doesn't irk me like some other similar songs do.  The challenge is that as part of this song, if it had ended somewhere around 9:30, it probably would have capped the tune off splendidly.  But it keeps going and building, so I was mentally preparing for the band to return for a final epic chorus or similar, which never came, so it was a bit anticlimactic.  In isolation I really like both the band and the orchestral parts though. 

---

Evermind - Amadeus Awad's Eon - "Incarnation"

Early Impression - "You've found a golden loophole.  Bravo!"

I don't know if you had any easy way to know this at the time, but Russ is one of my top 30 vocalists, and his voice is unmistakable even if the song title didn't have his name in it.  And then later on noticing that it also has John Macaluso and Kevin Moore (making this a stealth DT side project) was even more serendipitous.  It further has Amanda Somerville, who I haven't really directly listened to a lot, but tends to pop up all over the place in various projects and adds some welcome contrast and vivacity.  I tend to like supergroup projects, so this type of venture is often exciting.  Somehow I hadn't heard of it since it isn't listed under Russ's collaborations on Metal-Archives, they must not consider it "metal enough" or something. 

But this is another example of where I like a lot of the elements individually, and I do really enjoy it overall, but it doesn't quite reach the heights I want it to.  The melodies don't fully stick with me, and there's a certain haze in the production, particularly over the guitars and vocals, which seems to hold it back a bit.  I don't know if it's that way on the CD, but both Youtube uploads of it sound that way. 

A few blurbs I read described Amadeus Awad as "the Lebanese Arjen Anthony Lucassen", and I guess I can understand that, due to the consortium approach to the album, which I will absolutely be checking out later to hear the other appearances on this and other albums of his.  But it's almost more apropos to call him "the Lebanese Michael Romeo" with that hyper-clean picking of his, so it's a natural pairing with Russ.  He also has some savory acoustic work in the middle of the track.  There is an all too brief harmony bit at 2:51, I'd have loved more of that. 

This doesn't top Macaluso's work on Burn the Sun, but there's all kinds of tasty work going on with higher-pitched toms, percussion, effects cymbals and the like which is marvelous.  I didn't realize Kevin Moore was still involved in the metal sphere, and he has some excellent complimentary work here with electronics, organ, piano and such. 

This is another example where with the personnel involved, I could see them creating something even more ravishing, so I'll be investigating the full album for sure. 

« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:33:55 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
senecadawg2 - Renaissance - "Ashes Are Burning"

Early Impression - "I'm so glad you've brought this band back to my attention.  Sick bass tone, and what a vocalist."

This is certainly the band I came in knowing the most about.  This is probably around the tipping point level of familiarity with a band before I tend to put them on the soft banned list.  I'm cognizant that they've been a legend of the second or third tier of popularity of the original wave of classic prog, and felt they were probably worth exploring more in the future.  I've heard Annie Haslam's name in particular come up many times over the years.  I've heard two albums from the band, and own a third on vinyl that I snagged for a good deal, but hadn't gotten to dropping the needle on it yet.  Neither of the two I'd heard was really a favorite yet though.  The title of this song is familiar, and it's possible that I listened to it in isolation at some point or another in past years.  So while this band is on my radar, I'm enjoying having them pushed to the front of the line now.  I also notice that Gavin Harrison was part of the band at a later point, I may have to check that out. 

Like many of the longer songs in this round, there is quite a lot of digest, and trying to weigh my feeling about each individual section into one cohesive score and ranking is a real nightmare.  The bass lines start becoming more prominent around 3:17, and make for easily the best bass tone of the round.  I was suspecting it's a Rickenbacher, and sure enough, live footage shows him playing one.  Such a fat and distinctive sound.  No question either about the 12-string guitar, organ (the percussive tone at 5:26 is quite a treat), piano, harpsichord, and bells, all are well-recorded and a joy to hear. 

Annie Haslam is one of the notable highlights of this tune, though she's not in it for as long as I'd like.  She has a very captivating pure tone, and I can see why she places well on some vocal lists.  But not ours, where she's below Weird Al Yankovic.  That ain't right.  Additionally, I've read that Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash recorded the solo near the end, which was certainly another standout.  I was expecting a Les Paul by the timbre, but it seems he's known more for Flying Vs.  But it's a Gibson with a PAF humbucker, so close enough.  I was worried that 70s and 80s bands wouldn't compete well with more modern ones, but so far they're doing quite well.  I'm looking forward to spinning the album of theirs I have on vinyl after this round, it was clearly wrong of me to neglect it. 

Score:  8/10

---

SoundscapeMN - Barock Project - "Happy To See You"

Early Impression:  "I was worried this might be the lowest scoring one of the round yet in the first minute or two, but it won me over by the end."

I'm not sure why I reacted negatively at first to the opening minute or so.  I suppose it felt a bit generic, almost like stock music for a movie trailer.  It didn't bug me as much on later listens.  But things really get moving at 1:38, and kept getting better and better from there on out.  Two of the songs from the first day of listening had completely faded from memory by listening session number two, but I still remembered the broad strokes of this one. 

The keyboards seem to be the core focus of the band, and they are quite magnificent.  There appear to be endless layers of cascading melodies weaving in and out throughout the piece.  There is a really alluring organ solo, it sounds a bit synthetic, but isn't a big deal, it's so well-executed.  I like the choral patch around 5:29, though it's a smidge loud in the mix and obscures the guitars a bit too much.  The bandoneon? patch noticeable around 4:28 adds some charming additional timbral variety.  Further, the violin parts are a gratifying touch, and give some lift to certain sections.  The vocals are copacetic and competent.  They don't really elevate it, but nor do they detract from everything else going on. 

The drums are really effective, I enjoy how the kick pattern is a pretty driving four-on-the-floor beat for a good chunk of the more upbeat portions of the song, which anchors all of the other rhythms dancing around.  There are lots of high-pitched toms and splashes, which always make me happy.  There's some fun snare displacement, I was trying to predict it in parts the second time around and kept getting fooled. 

Probably the peak of the track is the guitar solo.  It has the best low-gain tone of the round, and I like how it becomes more saturated as it goes along and becomes more frenetic.  I was predicting that it's a Strat, and sure enough, he's playing one live.  There's also a compelling harmony that pipes in at 6:48. 

The key change near the end especially put this over the top.  This is one of those songs where I feel like I could listen to it another 100 times and keep noticing additional interlocking layers.  It really rewards repeat listens with arrangement details that are constantly evolving, adding and subtracting to keep the song entrancing, which it succeeded with in spades. 

---

Puppies_On_Acid - Knight Area - "A Million Lives"

Early Impression - "24 hours after listening, I couldn't remember a note of it.  After the second play, I had the chorus stuck in my head the next day.  Go figure."

So out of the whole round, there were only two songs that when I looked at the song titles a day after the first play, I couldn't remember a thing about them.  This was the other one of them.  No idea why, because the second play was fantastic, the song seemed to improve as it progressed, and as I noted, the chorus became an earworm the next day.  I adore the key change fakeouts.  It modulates up for the chorus at 5:05, which was a common trope a few decades ago, but then modulates down to an in-between key for the final one, which is much less common.  I love it when bands do things like that. 

Here is an example of a song that isn't too over-the-top on instrumentation, but just about everything here works.  Some dazzling synth leads (four of them, in fact!), a lot of savorous drumming (particularly the splashes and some of those sextuplet and triplet tom rolls), some sweet melodic bass lines in the mellow section in the middle and elsewhere.  I love the texture of the synth pad over the choruses (probably a Mellotron).  After the first minutes I'd figured this was another neo-prog-ish band like IQ where the synths take primacy over guitars for leads, so the guitar solo at 5:34 was a pleasant surprise, with some striking harmonies to end it as well.  The guitars and keyboards also interact splendidly in the middle section, with a different arpeggio going on in each ear from them in the mellow middle portion.  I'm quite appreciating the sound of the whole drum kit as well.  The vocalist is just alright, but the chorus melody is so catchy that it doesn't matter. 

For some reason artists from Sweden and the Netherlands tend to hit for me more often than most other countries, something about their melodic sensibilities connects with me.  And for the fourth play, when I started to do some research on each artist, I found out that they're Dutch, and now things make more sense.  I even notice that Peter Vink (of Ayreon, Star One and others) joined this group later on.  Not that being from either of those two countries is a guarantee, every place has memorable and unmemorable artists, but I just find it amusing how lopsided the ratio is for me. 

---

Nachtmerrie - Cobra the Impaler - "Scorched Earth"

Early Impression:  "Not what I was expecting, but actually now I'm not sure what I was expecting.  You may have found some of the hacks into my taste though, because I'm really digging this, especially the heavy guitar tones."

This one sold me right from the intro, it has this really entrancing feel to it with the harmonics, open strings, and cymbal flourishes.  As I alluded to in the impression, I think I had different expectations for this submission, but it pushed those aside and went down a path I didn't even know I wanted to go on, but I'm glad I did.  I'm not typically a huge fan of stoner metal, so getting two songs in that vein in this round that I liked was rather serendipitous.  I can't say it'll work again, but it is proof that every genre has its gems to be unearthed. 

So the first exceptional note is the guitars.  I don't know whether he's a conscious influence, but there's a lot of Nevermore to the parts and timbre, though a bit less flashy, but Loomis being one of my favorites, this makes them hard to not like.  The whole thing sort of feels like Khemmis covering Nevermore.  There are a lot of spots where it sounds like the right rhythm guitar is playing an octave higher than the left one, which is a cool trick that I'm not sure I've heard done that often.  The harmonies starting around 2:43 are vibrant, and the riff that keeps cropping up starting at 3:25 is probably my favorite in the song.  Also, this is a bit subtle, but the section that pops up around 0:51 and elsewhere gives it a bit of the feel of the scales in "Amon-Ra", so that's a fun little nugget. 

I still can't tell if I like these vocals, or I just think they work perfectly for this song, but they do.  I don't know if you had any easy way of knowing this, but Dirk Verbeuren is one of my favorite drummers, so discovering that he is playing on this was another pleasant discovery.  In typical Dirk fashion, he takes what could be a mundane performance in the hands and feet of a less creative player and crafts some really scintillating parts.  The intricacies of his ride and bell work on the intro is delightful, and he inserts those hyper-clean blasts and light-speed double bass in a few spots that adds a dash of bravura without overwhelming the song. 

I love how Metal-Archives lists member Tace DC's instrument as "unknown", like, "yeah, he's in the band, but no one knows what he does."  I see that he was a guitarist in Aborted, so maybe that's also his role here.  I don't know which of the two is the primary guitarist, but either way, they win the award for the best heavy guitar tone of the round.  I read somewhere that they were inspired by the sound of old Mastodon.  I don't remember them sounding this similar, but maybe what I hear in this song is what Mastodon fans hear when they listen to Mastodon. 

Score:  8.25/10

---

TAC - Lost Domain - "In the Waiting Room of Death"

Early Impression - "This might be the most impressive blending of some of the unique features of my two songs, but it also goes beyond them in other ways."

I could swear I commented on this band in 425's roulette, but I went back and could find no evidence of it, so maybe I just didn't get to it.  Anyway, I had listened to the two songs you sent in that round a couple times, and they were one of the better bands I've sampled in his roulette so far, but I don't think there was any way for you to know that unless I just missed a comment I made elsewhere.  Well, now we have a third song from them, and my interest is really piqued. 

Now this is a curious case study.  I talked with regards to Knight Area how for some reason bands from the Netherlands and Sweden tend to create more appealing melodies to me on average.  Well, here we have a band from Sweden, but it's not so much the melodies that I cherish.  I wish I could have had a camera on my face when I heard the intro, because it definitely has some uncanny resemblances to "To Turn the Tables".  And then the riff at 9:12 has some of the flavor of the riffing in "Amon-Ra", with the phrygian dominant scale. 

The powerful and rich vocals elevate the song right away, though the chorus melody doesn't stick with me like it should.  Given how long the tune is, I was wondering where it was going to go, and it was absolutely worth the travel.  The changeup to acoustic guitars and Mellotron at 6:59 was good for a change of pace, but it was 8:01 that really capped things off, right out of the Opeth playbook.  The filter sweep at 8:20 sets up the monster riffs after remarkably well, and I was not expecting the harsh vocals.  Is she performing them as well?  No other vocalists are listed in the online credits.  Too small a sample of them to really say if I like them on their own, but they definitely kicked things into overdrive and made this one of the most spellbinding songs of the round. 

There are lots of other satisfying moments, like the early synth solo, and the bits of piano and organ.  The two tremolo-picked counterpoint guitar lines at 6:11 panned to either side are delectable.  At first I didn't like the fuzz tone of the guitar solo at 7:33, but it grew on me, and it adds some diversity to the textures, as does the brief modulation-effected one at 10:04.  The descending and slowing pitch of the ending is also snazzy.  And no, the song is not in one of my "magic keys", but it didn't need to be. 

Score:  8.25/10

---

Stadler - Saga - "Wind Him Up"

Early Impression - "You took a big risk, but it might pay off, this is more fun than I remembered."

So I don't know if you looked at my RYM ratings, but even though Saga wasn't on the soft ban list, I had heard the album this song came from and rated it 3.5.  Which, given that my ratings are more generous than RYM's in general, usually means I found something interesting about the album, but it didn't totally resonate with me.  It's more or less my default rating for new music I hear and neither overtly like nor dislike.  So this was definitely a risk.  Well, oh boy did it pay off. I've known of Saga for a long time, but that's the only album I'd managed to get to at this point, so I'm glad to have them brought back to my attention, because I was clearly missing something, and you've helped me find it. 

If you'd told me ahead of time that several 70s and 80s songs would be ranking near the top I'd have been surprised.  And not that this tune is in this genre, but one of the fascinating things I find about the synthwave movement in the past dozen years or so is that the artists tend to pluck components from the 80s that have dated well, and jettison the ones that don't.  What this effectively has done is to just get that balance right in the first place in the decade itself.  No benefit of decades of perspective needed for them, they were Nostradamian.  The synth patches all definitely feel of that time period, but I really like almost all of them.  The funky synth bass, the ambient pads, the fizzy pads, the arpeggiations, all very nice.  The most fun one might be that FM synthesis-derived ring-modulated patch around 3:00.  4:13 has a cool instrumental restatement of the chorus melody in a different key, which I didn't catch the first couple times, and then snuck up on me, Doug Helvering I am not. 

Another impression I had when I first heard this but didn't put in the snippet, was that I felt this song ended too soon.  It felt as if it was building up to something even bigger and grander, and then was done before it quite got there.  Well, as it turns out, the payoff I was looking for is that chorus.  It didn't stand out so much on the first or second play (which I suppose was technically the third or fourth), but by the third or so, wow, it really started to hit.  So the buildup paid off both in just making me want to hear the whole song again, and in that addictive chorus, which has been stuck in my head quite a bit in the past week.  And it's built over a chromatic chord progression, which makes it even more of a marvel how they constructed the rising tension and release of each cycle of it.  The vocalist didn't really appeal to me at first, and I'm still not sure how other songs would sit with me, but the chorus is so infectious that I just don't care. 

The instrumentation is quite enthralling as well, with all of the unison lines between the guitars and synths, which have this perky rhythmic vivaciousness.  If I have to nitpick a tad, the muted guitar part around 2:30 has a more brittle tone than I'd prefer, like I've discussed in some earlier entries, but again, this song is too thrilling for me to worry about it, and in fact, around 2:45 where it's starting to become less of just repeating a note and more of a DiMeola impression, the tone actually kind of works for that bit.  I also like the volume swells around 3:14. 

This is probably the most meteoric graph line of my opinion of a song in this round.  It went from me being worried because I know you sometimes send unusual choices (which I'm more than happy to continue to receive), and I'd already heard and given a just ok score to this track, to thinking maybe it'll be competitive in the middle of the pack, to pondering, "is this my favorite song in the round?"  Well, not quite, but it came awfully close. 

Score:  8.5/10
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:29:20 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol. I: Variety & Reciprocity (R1 results!)
« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2022, 10:05:51 PM »
HOF - The Far Meadow - "A Gentle Warrior"

Early Impression:  "I really want to just replay this one again and skip the rest of my listening for the night.  I love the enchanting vocals, and what tasty drum and cymbal tones."

So this is obviously my favorite song of the round.  "Wind Him Up" briefly challenged it, but it remained regnant.  It made an immediate impression with the timbre of that high tom and the splash.  The whole drum kit sounds delicious, with a ringy snare I like, at least one other splash, some crunchy China, some tasty cross-sticking, and what sounds like some Moeller technique to drive the hat in the verses.  It even sounds like he recreated one of Bruford's cymbals from "One Red Nightmare", such as on the left at 3:19.  Definitely my favorite overall drum and cymbal sounds of the round. 

I'm not as well-versed in the softer end of the classic and modern prog scenes as some here, but the overall vibe to me feels redolent of Yes mixed with Kaipa, but with richer vocals, which we'll get to later, and with some compelling chord changes in a few spots.  I've spent far more time in the heavier prog metal end, but I've always gotten the feeling that given my love of keyboards that there would be much of value to explore in the milder neo-prog end, and this round is bearing that out with bands like these, so I'm ecstatic that people have been making me take notice of them. 

In other songs some of the synth patches here could come across rather dated and precious, but they're effective in conveying a feeling of a mystical setting, a bit Wakeman-esque at times.  I savor some of the piano ornamentation that pops in from time to time.  One thing that I'm still unsure where it comes from is that not on the first listen, but on every subsequent listen the guitars and keyboards sound very slightly out of tune with each other.  Not enough to take away from the song, but it's always noticeable, though sometimes it actually adds to the otherworldly vibe. 

Speaking of the guitars, there is a lot of delightful textural variegation to them.  The chord-melody style in the verses sounds pretty Stratty, though he seems to play a different guitar live from the clips I checked out.  I enjoy the whammy dips and then volume swells in the section starting around 1:48, followed with a really scrumptious low-gain lead tone.  In addition, there's a really spicy bass solo around 3:15, there are rarely enough of those to go around.  It's clear and audible for the rest of the song as well, with a pleasant warm tone and some well-placed fills and passing tones. 

And saving the best for the last, the vocals are radiant.  I didn't know that what I needed in my life was the female counterpart to Jon Anderson, but there she is.  Easily my favorite vocalist of the round (no small feat in a round with Russell Allen), and part of what kept me coming back to this song over and over.  I like some of the vocal stacking she does for the harmonies as well, there's clearly a lot of care put into them, as they're not your typical straight chordal ones, but they artfully float between static and shifting notes.  I'm sure one of the first things I'll be doing when this round is over is diving headfirst into their three albums. 

Score:  9/10

---

Standings:

HOF ----------------- 9
Stadler --------------- 8.5
TAC -------------------- 8.25
Nachtmerrie ------------ 8.25
Puppies_On_Acid ------- 8
SoundscapeMN ---------- 8
senecadawg2 ------------- 8
ariich ----------------------- 7.75
Lethean --------------------- 7.75
Evermind -------------------- 7.75
Buddyhunter1 -------------- 7.5
twosuitluke ---------------- 7.5
Vmadera00 --------------- 7.25
romdrums --------------- 7.25
Sacul ------------------- 7.25
Tomislav95 ------------ 7
Elite ------------------- 6.5
soupytwist ----------- 6.5
Cyril ----------------- 6

---

I'll post the round two mystery songs tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 04:04:20 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline HOF

Awesome! Well, let’s just hope this doesn’t turn out like Luke’s roulette where I won the first round and then sank like a stone.

So, I have to confess that while I’ve heard this album and the follow up, I had kind of forgotten about them since I first came across them a few years back. This album in particular (which I prefer of the two I’ve heard) has sat in my Amazon shopping cart for that whole time. It took this exercise to make them pop back into my mind (mostly because of the vocalist on the Kingfisher Sky album). This is the track that stood out to me most back then, and I’ve enjoyed spinning it again for this. I do really like the instrumentation, and there is a lot of subtle stuff going on, but I was worried it might be too subtle. Mostly though I like the groove and overall atmosphere of the track. They have songs that are a bit more extensive with more elaborate arrangements, but this is the one that connected with me the most. Glad you liked it!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol. I: Variety & Reciprocity (R1 Results!)
« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2022, 12:57:06 AM »
off to a great start  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol. I: Variety & Reciprocity (R1 Results!)
« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2022, 01:00:54 AM »
Classic 7/10, couldn't ask for more :biggrin:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2022, 02:14:58 AM »
Middle of the pack!

Galahad got robbed, I think it scored a 9 in my roulette :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #343 on: December 16, 2022, 03:04:28 AM »
Solid start, and I pretty much agree with what you said, except I really like the vocals. There's something about how Taiwanese sounds when sung in this way, I think it's metal as fuck. There are a few other examples of when they sound particularly awesome, like in Takao...

https://youtu.be/e_UkowmQs30

Skip to 2:13 to see what I mean.

The addition of the Erhu (and other traditional Taiwanese elements) is also a huge part of why I love this band. Hope you dig a bit deeper into their music  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2022, 06:33:38 AM »
I like it! To be honest, I'm not super familiar with Renaissance apart from Ashes Are Burning, but it is a good album. There's another gorgeous track on there I would have liked to send (At the Harbour) but I figured the title track was more roulette appropriate given that it's more of a journey. I'm going to have to listen to the songs that finished above me though. A lot of stuff I'm not familiar with.  :lol

Looking forward to the getting the next mystery songs. I'm thinking I can get my highest scores in the non-rock/metal rounds. That's where I should have more variety to pull on, hopefully.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #345 on: December 16, 2022, 07:33:00 AM »
Not bad! And yeah, I immediately made the Mastodon connection upon hearing that album too. I've gone on record saying that if you liked Crack The Skye and wish Mastodon did more albums like that, Elder is a great alternative.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera00 - Caligula's Horse - "Dragonfly"

Early Impression - "A lot of really cool elements individually, but I'm not sure they all quite come together."

This has been the hardest song in the round for me to get a handle on, and the one I put off 'til last for writing up, hoping for more clarity in the interim.  In isolation, I like a great many things about it, which I'll get into shortly.  But something about the structure and blending of them has been hard to wrap my head around.  Maybe that makes it the most "progressive" song in this batch, I'm not sure. 

The feel I get from them is Leprous meets Opeth.  The former is a band I haven't really gotten to click yet, and maybe that's part of the issue.  Based on the intro I was hoping I was going to love this, with the fingerpicked acoustics, piano, and the E-bow melody sustaining in the background.  The bass and kick coordinate unusually well at 1:04 for a thick, tight, and punchy 6/8 groove, and that riff at 1:34 is pretty massive.  There are a lot of interesting chord progressions, and I feel like on listen 20 or so this is going to hit me like a ton of bricks, but I'm not going to have time to get there in this roulette.  Even as I work on this writeup I can feel the song very slowly growing on me, but maybe not quite enough to bump it up the rankings. 

The vocals are fine in the lower and middle registers, but I don't care for the higher falsetto.  That might be another part of the Leprous similarity that goes right by me.  The unison section in 4:37 is pretty fun with all of the rhythmic experimentation.  Some wonderful harmonies punctuate portions of the guitar solo afterwards as well.  The tritonal tension in the chord at 6:55 might be favorite in the song, I keep looking forward to that moment when it reappears.  Apparently their guest pianist also plays flute in other songs on this album, so I may need to check it out for those tracks. 

That's a fair assessment of this song. I would say is deff not their best on this album, so give it a try, but it is the closest to the songs you sent. I do see the similarities with Leprous, which is the reason I like this band (discovered them after Leprous).

Onto the next round :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Lethean

« Reply #347 on: December 16, 2022, 08:44:41 AM »
Leprous rules.

Quite happy with my score after the first impression.  I'll have to go back and listen to my song again with all your comments in mind.

Of course, now I'm expecting that level of detail for every song in the Katatonia discography thread from here on out... :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

---

Stadler - Saga - "Wind Him Up"

Early Impression - "You took a big risk, but it might pay off, this is more fun than I remembered."

So I don't know if you looked at my RYM ratings, but even though Saga wasn't on the soft ban list, I had heard the album this song came from and rated it 3.5.  Which, given that my ratings are more generous than RYM's in general, usually means I found something interesting about the album, but it didn't totally resonate with me.  It's more or less my default rating for new music I hear and neither overtly like nor dislike.  So this was definitely a risk.  Well, oh boy did it pay off. I've known of Saga for a long time, but that's the only album I'd managed to get to at this point, so I'm glad to have them brought back to my attention, because I was clearly missing something, and you've helped me find it. 

If you'd told me ahead of time that several 70s and 80s songs would be ranking near the top I'd have been surprised.  And not that this tune is in this genre, but one of the fascinating things I find about the synthwave movement in the past dozen years or so is that the artists tend to pluck components from the 80s that have dated well, and jettison the ones that don't.  What this effectively has done is to just get that balance right in the first place in the decade itself.  No benefit of decades of perspective needed for them, they were Nostradamian.  The synth patches all definitely feel of that time period, but I really like almost all of them.  The funky synth bass, the ambient pads, the fizzy pads, the arpeggiations, all very nice.  The most fun one might be that FM synthesis-derived ring-modulated patch around 3:00.  4:13 has a cool instrumental restatement of the chorus melody in a different key, which I didn't catch the first couple times, and then snuck up on me, Doug Helvering I am not. 

Another impression I had when I first heard this but didn't put in the snippet, was that I felt this song ended too soon.  It felt as if it was building up to something even bigger and grander, and then was done before it quite got there.  Well, as it turns out, the payoff I was looking for is that chorus.  It didn't stand out so much on the first or second play (which I suppose was technically the third or fourth), but by the third or so, wow, it really started to hit.  So the buildup paid off both in just making me want to hear the whole song again, and in that addictive chorus, which has been stuck in my head quite a bit in the past week.  And it's built over a chromatic chord progression, which makes it even more of a marvel how they constructed the rising tension and release of each cycle of it.  The vocalist didn't really appeal to me at first, and I'm still not sure how other songs would sit with me, but the chorus is so infectious that I just don't care. 

The instrumentation is quite enthralling as well, with all of the unison lines between the guitars and synths, which have this perky rhythmic vivaciousness.  If I have to nitpick a tad, the muted guitar part around 2:30 has a more brittle tone than I'd prefer, like I've discussed in some earlier entries, but again, this song is too thrilling for me to worry about it, and in fact, around 2:45 where it's starting to become less of just repeating a note and more of a DiMeola impression, the tone actually kind of works for that bit.  I also like the volume swells around 3:14. 

This is probably the most meteoric graph line of my opinion of a song in this round.  It went from me being worried because I know you sometimes send unusual choices (which I'm more than happy to continue to receive), and I'd already heard and given a just ok score to this track, to thinking maybe it'll be competitive in the middle of the pack, to pondering, "is this my favorite song in the round?"  Well, not quite, but it came awfully close. 

Score:  8.5/10

Thank you; it's funny, you noted that maybe the Saga ended too quickly. That was the one thing I worried about.  When I heard your songs, the vocals and the melody lines took me to Saga immediately. It was a gut feel; but I agonized about whether that was enough.   

But I'm glad you liked what I sent; I'm not going to over think this too much; when I hear your offering, I'm going to try to stick with the initial gut instinct and see how it goes!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #349 on: December 16, 2022, 10:00:34 AM »
glad you liked that Barock Project tune! ..I know stylistically, it only shared some aspects to the 2 tracks you gave to make a choice on, and like I said, I had 2 or 3 other songs in mind initially. But after listening to those 2 songs a 2nd time, it sort of hit me how the Barock Project fit in with the symphonic element like those 2.

You may want to check out the full Detachment album at some point. The whole album has a lot of that symphonic, somewhat retro prog sound ala Kansas or Renaissance in some ways like that tune.