Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 123272 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol I: Variety & Reciprocity(R7 Results!)
« Reply #1715 on: March 27, 2023, 12:56:32 PM »
And the whole song has such a unique, unnatural, almost alien atmosphere to it that harping on some instruments sounding obviously fake is kinda missing the point. That saxophone line is meant to be a loop - it wouldn't have been improved at all by being performed live.

Part of it might be that I actually play the saxophone, so I'm particularly sensitive to when it sounds off.  Another factor is that in general I'm pickier about in-between sounds, I mostly like them to sound either very natural, or very synthetic.  The song had numerous examples of both, and that one really stuck out.  If not actually on a real saxophone, I'd have preferred it as a synth lead patch.  Woodwinds and bowed stringed instruments are the most likely to nettle me if they sound fake. 

Wait, I sent metal in a non metal round? :corn

Ne Obliviscaris in the jazz round.  :p

I'd just point out Dirt Poor Robins are one of my favorite bands, been a fan for about 5 years......since I got introduced to them by Soundscapes thread on here ;D

Yeah, sometimes it's arbitrary who I associate with certain bands, but I've just heard their name more often from his posts, and he did start the thread, so that's why I consider them "his band". 

I'll take my score and remain comfy neat the bottom of the table.

I'm not particularly in love with DSME, or the song I sent, but I felt it fit the theme pretty well. The next round is another Mystery Song round?

Yep.  The last one.    :'(

And your song fit just fine, and had an equal or higher score than all but two of the round averages so far, you just happened to have sent it in a stronger round.

I had thought about sending something from them, and likely would have eventually had you not Soupy. Although I likely would have submitted some different choices, but the tunes you did obviously did the job.

I don't know if either of you ever check the "what album are you listening to" thread, but I posted there that one of the cool things about these roulettes is that in exploring an artist's discography afterwards you sometimes find even better music than what was sent in the round itself.  As much as I liked those three songs that soupy sent, I've listened to their entire discography since then and found at least another dozen songs I like about as much or more than the ones I scored.  The last three minutes of "No Land Beyond" in particular is some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard, probably would have easily scored a 9.5 if it had been sent.

Damn, finally a good fucking score :metal

You've been a bit of a wildcard, but you did almost get a 9 with Mammal Hands.  :)

Got an 8 and still in the bottom half of the round, apparently a very strong round indeed :)

Technically you might have placed as high as 7th out of 18, I don't think too hard about the exact ordering of songs once I determine that they have the same score.  All the 8s aren't terribly far off from 3rd either, which was just 0.25 higher.  Just one of those rounds, it was tight all the way from the first listen.  I hoped for more separation after a lot of plays, but it didn't happen, I liked a bunch of them for wildly different reasons. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1716 on: March 27, 2023, 01:27:01 PM »
Here are the mystery songs for round 8.  This is the final mystery song round, so I'm bumping the song count up one again (and they're not super-long, one is actually fairly short).  This might be the furthest out yet for some of your comfort zones, so it should be fascinating to see what I receive back. 

Round 8:

Liquid Divine - "Comagirl" - from Autophobia, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFB7I9340T4

DEADLIFE - "Neo Anima" - from God in the Machine, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdqaOy-x73U

mind.in.a.box - "Whatever Mattered" - from R.E.T.R.O., 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR18VvV7Ai8

Kate Havnevik - "Into Dark" - from Lightship, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sXarhjXWlg

Send me one song reminiscent of one or more of the mystery songs to lithojazzosphere@outlook.com.  If you can, send me both Youtube and Spotify links for your song.  The Youtube link is so I can make my own playlist and rip the audio.  The Spotify link is for the group playlist.  If you can't or don't find both links I will find them myself, but the more of you that find both, the less extra work I have to do. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1717 on: March 27, 2023, 01:56:07 PM »
> electronic round

Now to figure out what to actually send. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1718 on: March 27, 2023, 02:11:53 PM »
I'll find something to send tomorrow! :)

The 8 I'll take for Foscor, though I think it's better than both the Dissona and Dreamgrave tracks. I believe I thought of Dreamgrave as a possible choice to send here too. The only album of theirs I know and own is 'Presentiment', which is enjoyable. You'll probably like that one too.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1719 on: March 27, 2023, 02:12:43 PM »
Wow, I have a song that's a dead fuckin' ringer for that Kate Havnevik song. But do I send that or one that I enjoy a bit more... :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1720 on: March 27, 2023, 02:21:51 PM »
Sent an artist I thought for sure would be banned, glad it wasn't  :corn

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1721 on: March 27, 2023, 03:32:22 PM »
Wow, I have a song that's a dead fuckin' ringer for that Kate Havnevik song. But do I send that or one that I enjoy a bit more... :corn

Given that we seem to like some similar styles, but wildly different songs in them, who knows?   :lol   Whichever one you decide on, I'd love to hear the other sometime later as well though. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1722 on: March 27, 2023, 04:00:58 PM »
No clue..  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Offline HOF

« Reply #1724 on: March 27, 2023, 04:20:13 PM »
Haven’t listened yet but I may struggle with an electronic round too. But maybe not!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1725 on: March 27, 2023, 04:39:11 PM »
Haven’t listened yet but I may struggle with an electronic round too. But maybe not!

Well, the HOF -> LJS translator has worked pretty well in 4/5 so far in the mystery rounds, so let's hope McStine/Minnemann was the only ok entry of them!

No clue..  :lol

I suspected as much.  :p

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1726 on: March 27, 2023, 05:11:45 PM »
I get my first Roulette free evening in two months and I have to spend it listening to electronic music??

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 05:22:07 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1727 on: March 27, 2023, 05:29:32 PM »
"Neo Anima" could almost be a metal song if you swapped the lower-range synths with guitars.  Darksynth has actually become a pretty popular secondary genre for a lot of metalheads, and tends to have some 80s vibes, so you never know, you could surprise yourself!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1728 on: March 27, 2023, 08:40:16 PM »
BTW, some of you may have already noticed this, but usually within a day or so of each round I update various things in the OPs, including links to the mystery songs, impressions and results for each round, the current standings, the artists submitted so far and so forth.  I also sometimes edit details on future rounds and such, as I just did on rounds 10 and 11. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #1729 on: March 27, 2023, 09:44:19 PM »
Sent something I'm not sure why I didn't think of right away.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1730 on: March 28, 2023, 01:37:44 AM »
> electronic round

Woot!

Now, how many rounds in this roulette can I send my brother's music? :neverusethis:

Although it might be a bit on the ambient side based on the mystery songs. Got lots of other options to choose from though so I'll have a think.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1731 on: March 28, 2023, 03:07:40 AM »
Just checked that first song and wtf why am I not listening to something like this. You send something like that in my roulette, you get a round winner for sure :lol
I still need to listen to the rest but I think I know a band to send at least.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1732 on: March 28, 2023, 05:23:30 AM »
Just checked that first song and wtf why am I not listening to something like this. You send something like that in my roulette, you get a round winner for sure :lol

I guess it depends upon what it is you like about that song.  It's kind of singular even in their discography.  I do have some other stuff kind of in the same ballpark though.  I get nervous about sending anything electronic since I have less of an idea of your tastes there.  And there are only two slots left in your roulette, and four songs in my queue that are already fighting for spots.  I'll have to ponder this. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1733 on: March 28, 2023, 07:15:59 AM »
Sent.  I get that what I sent isn't even that close to the mystery songs, but it's what I thought of first, and that's been the rule this roulette for me.

Plus, well, Erik Estrada. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:23:34 AM by Stadler »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1734 on: March 28, 2023, 08:29:30 AM »
Just sent. This was very easy to pick, hope you dig some awesome sythwave :metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1735 on: March 28, 2023, 09:09:54 AM »
Sent.

I also put together my first draft for my EP. My roulette EPs usually hover around 30 minutes but for this one I had to cut out a bunch just to make the 45 minute limit. :lol Probably because I'm going more conceptual for it than I usually do.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1736 on: March 28, 2023, 09:15:52 AM »
I'm going to be unable to listen to these songs till Thursday, hope that won't be an issue?  If it is I can throw something remotely electronic your way tonight if you'd prefer?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1737 on: March 28, 2023, 10:35:46 AM »
I'm going to be unable to listen to these songs till Thursday, hope that won't be an issue?  If it is I can throw something remotely electronic your way tonight if you'd prefer?

I doubt all 18 will have sent by then, so take your time. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: March 28, 2023, 10:50:27 AM »
I have some electronic music in my arsenal but it mostly has shitty production due to being released in 80s. I also didn't like any of your songs much so there's that :lol

Amethystium and Delerium are on your RYM wishlist so I'm probably not sending that. I'll see what I can do!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1739 on: March 28, 2023, 11:04:54 AM »
this round there's a lot of ways to go, although I had noticed how Litho enjoys some electronic-rock and so that was a big reason I submitted Apes & Androids. I wonder though if the Electronic-part of their sound really impacted his feeling on the music.

But "Indietronica" is a genre that has a lot of music to consider alone. I sort of see Apes & Androids as my favorite and the most interesting/creative artist to be classified in that so-called genre.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1740 on: March 28, 2023, 11:12:06 AM »
Sent!

Briefly considered sending Schiller ft. Tarja Turunen - Tired of Being Alone but Tarja is on the banned list so I went another route.

this round there's a lot of ways to go

Not for all of us for sure :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1741 on: March 28, 2023, 11:33:36 AM »
I don’t really listen to any entirely electronic music, but lots of music that I like incorporates some degree of electronic elements. It can get a bit boring on it’s own, but can add an interesting dimension along with more acoustic instrumentation. I really liked that Kate Havnenik song though.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1742 on: March 28, 2023, 12:18:01 PM »
If people are having trouble, just steal a song from the electronic-only roulette I ran a couple years ago! :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1743 on: March 28, 2023, 12:27:58 PM »
Gee I must've missed that one. :neverusethis:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1744 on: March 28, 2023, 01:01:07 PM »
Oh I forgot to say, delighted you liked the Dissona so much! You should definitely check that album out, it's superb.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1745 on: March 28, 2023, 02:54:06 PM »
Lol, this is reminding me of the contrast from round 1. 

Both of those are great tunes. I believe if I got any of those (especially Odyssey one) I would rate them almost perfectly.

Odyssey however I didn't like much, wouldn't rank it higher than 5/10.

I also didn't like any of your songs much so there's that :lol

The asymmetry is so fascinating, since Evermind is scoring higher.  It might explain why I'm doing better in Tomi's roulette, but might also portend that I'll struggle in Evermind's next one.   :lol

Briefly considered sending Schiller ft. Tarja Turunen - Tired of Being Alone but Tarja is on the banned list so I went another route.

Generally speaking, the soft ban doesn't apply to guest appearances (and finding ones from my favorites I've overlooked can sometimes be an effective "cheat code").  With Tarja I've heard a couple albums of her solo material in recent years, so I already have an opinion on it, but it's not hard-banned since I didn't rate it 4.5 or higher. 

although I had noticed how Litho enjoys some electronic-rock and so that was a big reason I submitted Apes & Androids. I wonder though if the Electronic-part of their sound really impacted his feeling on the music.

That facet was fine, it was mostly the vocals that just didn't connect with me. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1746 on: March 28, 2023, 02:57:21 PM »
Gee I must've missed that one. :neverusethis:

You don't remember doing this? :biggrin:

Well, anyway, here are the Crankpressions..

The Weeknd

Amon Tobin

Ed Harrison

Radiohead

The Browning

Portishead

Burial

Depeche Mode

CHVCHES

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1747 on: March 28, 2023, 03:21:57 PM »
Oh shit!  :lol

Schneiderpressions. I think I still have them on my computer.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1748 on: March 28, 2023, 05:16:27 PM »
although I had noticed how Litho enjoys some electronic-rock and so that was a big reason I submitted Apes & Androids. I wonder though if the Electronic-part of their sound really impacted his feeling on the music.

That facet was fine, it was mostly the vocals that just didn't connect with me.

well I just sent my Round 8 song. It does fit the Mystery Song theme a lot, and  but I can't promise anything with the vocals with this one like the Apes & Androids.

In other words, I'm going with my go-to SONG in this style in a lot of ways, per there were several others I waivered on sending instead, but it came down to was the song better and did it fit the Theme better, etc.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1749 on: March 28, 2023, 05:35:59 PM »
Well I've gone from having zero options (other than stuff you already know) to one option  :lol

Just got to select a song, but should be sending in the next 24.