Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 112969 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Saying a one-man black metal project sounds like a bedroom demo is a bit redundant. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm really bad with guessing impressions.

Well, probably not quite as bad as Luke.  He got lucky this round, but you know, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Well who the fuck has 18 participants?  :lol

Saying a one-man black metal project sounds like a bedroom demo is a bit redundant. :lol

:rollin

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Well, I wrote it before I looked it up to find that out.  But I guess probably over half of black metal releases are from one-man projects anyway, so it's probably not a bad assumption.  But not all of them sound that way, Ripped To Shreds started as one-man-death metal, for example, and doesn't sound that different from normal full band releases. 

I'm really bad with guessing impressions.

Well, probably not quite as bad as Luke.  He got lucky this round, but you know, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'm not saying I'm any better, I think I incorrectly guessed at over half of your impressions when you only had 2/3 of that number left.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 06:28:16 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
*raises hand*

If anything, that's on the low end for me these days.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I still wonder what the record is.  If the lists in the tracker thread are accurate, I remember seeing one with 22, but it's possible I overlooked one with even more, especially if the number of participants was deceptively high due to shorter user names. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yeah that was my v6 that had 22 participants throughout. Fairly certain it's the record. Every round was submissions up to 21 minutes as well (or longer if a single song). That was a big undertaking. :lol

Way back in 2013 (TEN YEARS AGO, WHAT THE) Chad's v2 started with 22 players as well, but he quickly whittled them down to 11 with a couple of prelim rounds.

Other than those, there have been a bunch in the 18-20 players range.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
senecadawg2 - Kampfar - "Ophidian"

Early Impression - "There was an intriguing element teased near the end that might have made it stand out more if it was employed earlier, but as it is I'm not sure this has enough interesting ideas to score higher."

This is a challenging one to write about.  There's nothing particularly wrong with it, it just feels like the template guide track for a melodic black metal tune before tweaking and filling out the arrangement to make it more unique.  It's pretty well-produced, which always tend to be a worry in this style.  And the bass is at least audible, which can be another frequent concern.  It even starts out sounding a bit like Behemoth, but not nearly as heavy.  Even the music video for it has a very Behemoth flavor to it with the imagery. 

Behemoth is actually a salient jumping point to briefly discuss a dichotomy which has blurred a lot over time, but used to rankle me, and is relevant to this band and others this round and likely beyond it.  Depending upon the release, they would alternate between a mixture of black and death metal influences.  I've generally considered myself more of a death metal than a black metal fan, often because it used to be more common for it to have lower-tuned, heavier guitars and more massive-sounding production, which comports with me more.  But black metal often has the potential for more melody and atmosphere, which appeals to a separate angle of my preferences.  Melodic death metal, in its best forms, manages to at times bring together the best of both worlds for me. 

But back to Kampfar, unfortunately, on successive listens none of the riffs or even the melodic vocal line stuck with me.  In the latest plays and checking out a few live videos I've gotten familiar enough with this selection that I can feel a bit more of a spark slowly emerging, and maybe this one will keep growing on me after the round is over, but I don't think there's quite enough to make it leapfrog anything else yet.  There are a few choral stabs that pop up near the end, but they're so brief that they just don't deliver on making it feel very epic.  The hi-hat barks at 2:15 which transfer to ride accents later are kind of an interesting pattern, but it's a minor detail in the scope of the track.  It just seems like they came up with the basic riffs and structure and stopped there  before ornamenting it with anything that would make it stand out more. 

Score:  6.75/10

---

Puppies_On_Acid - Woe of Tyrants - "Break the Fangs of the Wicked"

Early Impression - "I feel like I'm turning into Luke in feeling like I've heard all this before, and I'm perhaps not as into it as I used to be."

So I don't know if you noticed that I'd already rated this on my RYM (and even have it on my obscure metal RYM list, but it's been so long since I've heard it and I didn't remember it well), but here's the flip side where sometimes an old rating is more of a ceiling for a band for me.  I used to listen to a truckload of this more technical stuff in the mid-late 00s, so I guess I have a baseline level of nostalgia for it, but it also isn't what I typically reach for these days.  It's all very well-played, and they've put some thought into the arrangement, with some very tight composition and execution, particularly with how the tom fills often sync up the transitional guitar riffs. 

But there's a combination of two things that hold it back for me.  One is the thin production, which is probably influenced by Necrophagist or similar, and tries to emphasize the razor-sharp precision of all of the speedy riffing and soloing.  I really have to strain to hear any bass in the mix - it's all low midrange from the guitars.  This is then compounded with the emphasis on flashiness.  That can work with the right band, but there has to be something extra special for it to work, and I'm just not finding it here.  It's pretty much at 10 the whole time, without much variation or contrast.  If I think back to it, I can remember there was a flurry of notes, but nothing particularly memorable stands out.  There are harmony guitar riffs all over the place, which I do tend to like, but they mostly go in one ear and out the other. 

Ultimately, it's fine, and if I get in the right mood and have worn out Quo Vadis, Blooshot Dawn, Inferi, Arsis and such maybe I'd put this on again, but lately it just feels like more style over substance for me, and I'm not quite as enthused about this sound as I used to be.  This is probably coming across overly negative, I do actually like it, I just don't enjoy it as much as the other entries.  Which I know isn't much of a consolation prize, but well, it has to happen every round. 

---

Vmadera00 - Black Anvil - "As Was"

Early Impression - "This band has an interesting sound, but the song doesn't really start getting good until the last minute or two, which might not be enough to save it."

I wanted to like this band more, as they have a rather intriguing and unique sound, kind of like Type O Negative trying to play melodic black metal.  The production is solid, and I enjoy the reverb and mild chorus-laden sheen over everything.  But unfortunately, not a lot really stuck out as being noteworthy other than a few small details.  The rhythm guitar part using thirds rather than power chords at 1:49 is a cool choice.  The bass tone is pretty nice.  I think I have an addiction to offbeat China cymbal sections, like at 3:44 or 6:08.  I was trying to figure out where they were going with the "happy" section at 4:06 - I was half-ready for them to launch into a cover of "Paradise City".  And then the best part of the song starts at 4:40, with a more interesting riff.  5:47 is my favorite moment, which sounds like a sped-up descending chromatic Type O Negative riff.  And I love the discordant ending with two guitar tracks ringing out with feedback at slightly different pitches.  But overall it's just not quite enough to compete with the stronger entries this round. 

---

Buddyhunter1 - Gallowbraid - "Oak and Aspen"

Early Impression - "There are some cool ideas here, but it sounds like a home demo."

It didn't hit me until quite a few listens in, and this might have made for a more fun early impression, but I had a late epiphany based on the intro that this is effectively a black metal cover of "Dust in the Wind".  I don't know if I feel clever for realizing it now or dumb for that taking so long to strike me. 

One of the things that tends to irk me about a lot of black metal is that so much of it is poorly-recorded, sometimes on purpose, and sometimes just by circumstance, which might be the case here.  I learned when I did a bit of research that this is effectively a one-man-black-metal project (just outsourcing the drums, and some vocals on another track), and it sounds like it.  It's not as raw-sounding as it could be, but it definitely doesn't come up to the level of polish that I tend to prefer.  Most notable is first that the acoustic guitar at 3:18 is out of tune, which nettles me.  Even the piano at 0:18 sounds like it could use a retuning, though it's not quite as rankling.  And then secondly, when the drums are played faster, like the double bass at 5:41 and other spots, while I kind of dig that it doesn't sound triggered and clicky like many bands struggle with, it's just not mixed that well, and everything turns to mush there. 

There are some interesting ideas here and there though, like the acoustic guitars in the intro, the guitar harmony at 6:36, the guitar melody at 7:20, and the acoustic guitar + tremolo electric line at 10:43.  And most importantly, the clean vocals are really cool, sounding kind of Woods of Ypres-y.  In spite of my qualms with everything else, those alone might make me check out the rest of the album, and probably saved the song from being at the bottom of the rankings, but I can't justify placing it any higher due to its flaws. 

Score:  7/10

---

Tomislav95 - Brymir - "Ragnarök"

Early Impression - "These guitars just aren't heavy enough for me, but it did have a really nice minute or two towards the end."

I was not surprised to see that this was another Finnish melodeath band, they definitely have more of that Insomnium sound, but are more symphonic, and unfortunately, fluffier.  The main issue is that there is just no weight or power to the guitars.  It's an issue throughout the song, but the worse offender is the verses such as at 0:56.  It's just way too brittle a tone for me for this style of music.  The bass is almost inaudible as well, which doesn't help. 

Also, the vocal choral patch is fine, but the symphonic aspect is also fairly weak, being quite noticeably fake and just coming from a keyboard.  It's especially obvious at 1:56 when it almost completely buries the band.  In general I'm not a huge fan of overtly symphonic metal, I prefer it when it's a bit more subtle and complements the other instrumentation rather than being a focus for its own sake.  It can be a fine line, as some later entries will demonstrate, but this song is a bit on the wrong side of that line. 

In spite of this, I dig the sections starting at 3:34, which have a more fun symphonic black metal-esque vibe, and then segue into a really cool guitar harmony bit, which both almost single-handedly save the song from being at the bottom of the rankings.  Another bright spot is that the harsh vocals are pretty powerful and solid.  But in the end, it's not enough to compete with everything else. 

---

Stadler - Motörhead - "One Track Mind"

Early Impression - "This is more laid-back than I was expecting, and I'm not sure this is my kind of thing, but these tones are classic."

You seem to have a knack for sending me songs that upon first listen I worry I'm not going to like, but then over the course of the round manage to worm their way up the rankings higher than I would have expected, often because they lack some of the more glaring errors that lower submissions tend to have. 

So obviously I've heard of a fair amount of Motorhead lore over the years, and I've sampled enough songs to have a general idea what they're about, but just never bothered to check out any full albums, suspecting they're probably not really a band for me.  I'm still not sure they are, but I'm definitely a bit more open to them than I used to be.  I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or if people are starting to figure it out from my writeups, but for male voices I generally tend to prefer lower registers, or if they're more mid or upper-pitched, to at least have some power and grit to them, and Lemmy does fall kind of in the middle of that.  His bass tone is also quite rightly legendary, and I'm sure is at least indirectly an inspiration to some of the other dirtier bass tones I've liked in this round and earlier ones.  The drumming is also pretty solid, with some nice triplet fills and such, and I always enjoy more unique sounds like the rototoms as shown in the music video for this song. 

I've been a fairly casual fan of more classic rock-styled bands, but Thin Lizzy was always one of the better bands of that stripe, so having Brian Robertson aboard on this track was probably a wise choice, although it seems he left the harmonies behind with Lizzy.  I didn't even have to look to tell this is a classic Les Paul into Marshall tone, just with more chorus and reverb than I was expecting based on Motorhead's reputation, but that's quite all right with me.  I like some of the slide moments such as at 2:46, though I wouldn't have minded more of them. 

Overall this is a bit on the simple side of what I normally prefer, as it's easy to see how this would be quite easy to pull off live in a power trio format, but for what it is it's fairly effective, with a nice groove to it.  I could potentially see them having songs I'd like even more, so while I'm not over the moon about this particular one, I am a bit more interested in hearing more from them than I was before. 

---

Lethean - Morrow - "Embers"

Early Impression - "This feels like trying to get lunch by eating samples at Costco.  You get a taste of a variety of different flavors, but still leave hungry."

This is a really hard song to evaluate.  I can't figure out whether it's a post-rock song trying to be metallic, or a black metal song trying to be more atmospheric.  There are a lot of individual elements that are really alluring, but they don't quite add up to the sum of their parts. 

The most intriguing texture is the muted string pizzicato that opens the track, with some kind of held reverb function that somehow lets it sustain.  I'm not sure I've heard a sound quite like it before.  The cello also sounds splendid, though I wouldn't have minded a bit more of it.  But I can't make my mind up about the guitar sounds.  There are many spots where they're pretty texturally varied and have a lot of shades of nuance.  4:05 is a great example where it's constantly oscillating in and out of feedback and is a rather potent sound.  The solo at 6:01 is nice and subdued as well, with a good mixture of muted and sustained phrasing. 

But there are moments where it sounds like the song is trying to get heavier, but the tones just don't work for those types of parts.  3:11 is a good example, they're attempting to build with some muted chugs, but there's no power to the rhythm guitars.  The bass doesn't help either, as while it has a nice midrange timbre that is useful for other parts (5:23 is a cool passage), it doesn't really reinforce the guitars in those parts.  I wish I could merge this song with the guitars from Amenra last round, since they each have elements that the other lack.  And when it gets faster, like at 7:14, it becomes kind of a chaotic mess, with the mixing making everything sound like mud.  Maybe that was their intention, but it's just a bit hard to listen to for me, though I do like the independent guitar melodies panned to either side there - I just can't savor them quite as much as I'd like to contrary to if it was engineered more clearly.  I did listen to the song on Bandcamp as well, and the issue is also present there. 

Additionally, the drumming is most interesting in the quieter portions with the subtle ride and snare ghost note work.  Further, the acoustic guitar passage at 8:28 is certainly my favorite section of the track.  I like how they keep the sound of fret movement squeaks in - there was a time when it was in fashion to edit those out, which tended to vex me.  I also really love the ethereal synthesizer patches at the end over the record crackle, especially the shimmery mid-register of it that comes in at 9:52 (it might be an overdriven electric piano, it's difficult to tell).  It was hinted at around 4:49, but I had wished it was louder in the mix then. 

---

HOF - McStine & Minnemann - "Distant Bodies"

Early Impression - "The drumming is as great as I hoped it would be, but it's unknown if the other elements will grow on me."

So Marco Minnemann is one of my favorite drummers, and pretty much everything he's playing here is the highlight of the track.  I was worried at first that the middle section and ending of the song were too happy-sounding for me, but it grew on me over time, and was kind of refreshing in contrast to most of the other songs in the round.  And the intro and third quarter or so are a bit darker, so it's not oppressively happy.  Many listens in, and I still can't tell what I think of the vocals.  I didn't like them at first, but I suppose at this point I'm neutral on them. 

There are quite a few piquant guitar tones in this song, such as at 1:54 and 3:35.  Those are the types of tones that would fall flat in the average metal song, but you can really get away with them in this type of tune.  Even the fuzz bass at 1:07 is delightful.  The clean guitar passages at times were giving me Polyphia vibes.  This is different enough from what I typically listen to that my interest is piqued to hear more later at some point, particularly because there are clearly a lot of albums Marco has played on that I haven't made time for yet. 

Score:  7.25/10
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 07:46:43 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Crow - Shade Empire - "Anti-Life Saviour"

Early Impression - "I suspect I might like other songs by this artist more, but it's probably going to be good enough to continue your upward trajectory."

So this makes significant usage of an element that I tend to not be too crazy about in general, especially on repeat listens.  Which is to say, spoken word samples.  It's not nearly to 9000+ Han-Tyumi levels, but depending upon how I felt on any given listen, it did bug me a bit.  It does set a mood for the first listen, but after that I'm rarely up for narration.  Mercifully, it starts getting drowned out less than a minute in.  It comes back much later in the song, but it's a bit easier to tune out by that point.  This song also has some robotic vocals at 6:10, which fortunately I generally don't mind. 

The best thing this band has going for it is the production, especially on the thick and chunky-sounding guitars, and slightly less so on the drums.  The bass doesn't stick out quite as much as it did on some of your first submissions (other than the section at 5:03), where it was one of the stronger facets of them, but it's enough that it supports the riffing well.  I generally like my metal to have a lot of low-end.  On the opposite end of guitar textures, most noticeable at 7:09 is the sustained E-bow line, though it comes in earlier as well.  The longer duration of the notes contrasts well with the double bass and faster-picked guitar lines underneath it, though I wouldn't have minded if it was slightly higher in the mix.  The section at 3:35 is cool, with the guitars alternating muted chugs and slightly longer notes, to then at 4:04 transitioning to having them fully open.  Also, there is a short harmony line at 4:10 that I wish they would have incorporated a bit more throughout the piece. 

I generally try to avoid exploring any of a band's other discography during a round, partially for lack of time, and partially because I like to try and evaluate the song as a stand-alone unit, though for some artists I've already heard something from them and thus it's not really possible to not be informed by that knowledge to some extent.  In this case I'm fairly confident that I've listened to a few of their other songs in the past, though I don't really know them well.  And I seem to recall them being a bit heavier and faster, which often works better in this style for me, as long as it has some contrast. 

I kept vacillating about the symphonic elements.  They are a tad better-balanced than some of the weaker entries, as I'm rarely happy if they overpower the band, like too much of symphonic metal is prone to doing.  It looks like they hired someone for the orchestration who has worked with Delain and others, so that seems to have helped.  The horns at 7:01 are punchier than typical, for example, with some bloom and movement to the timbre as the lines are held.  The orchestration does bury the guitar solo at 4:45 a bit though. 

So ultimately, this continues your upward ascent.  I'm looking forward to the 9.75 you'll be sending by round 15.  :-)

Score:  7.5/10

---

twosuitluke - The Ocean - "Mesopelagic: Into the Uncanny"

Early Impression - "I'm starting to get the feeling that this band got better and better and more suited to my tastes as their discography went along."

So as much as I do have a general preference for receiving bands I don't know anything about, I do appreciate getting bands that I've heard a bit from, but am not that deep into yet.  Of course, this is one of them.  I heard an album or two of their earlier material closer to when it came out, and while I saw some potential, sludge metal was really not my thing at all at that point.  I'm still not sure it's really my thing, but I've gradually found more bands I like who play versions of that sound, and their '20 album was pretty good, proggier than I anticipated, and having Jonas Renkse on a track certainly didn't hurt. 

Well, this song seems somewhere in-between those two approaches, but probably significantly closer to their current style.  And probably in the ballpark of the better side of a band like Mastodon.  The drumming is not Dailor-level, but it's pretty competent.  I especially like the tom rim work at 2:30.  There are some nice bass lines there as well, particularly at 3:03 and 5:05.  They also have a firm command of rapid quiet to loud transitions in the middle portion of the track. 

I was not expecting there to be cello on this tune, so that was also serendipitous.  There is some tasty synth work on the track as well, but it's generally kind of buried.  There is a snazzy resonant filter sweep that pans across the stereo spectrum at 4:50 (and another touch of it at 5:49), though the song could have used even more of it. 

Interestingly, while you couldn't really call this song melodeath in the slightest, I enjoy how it does have some similarities in approach, with the juxtaposition of quieter and heavier parts, and even has some cool guitar harmonies from time to time such as at 3:00.  Further, while this song relies more on energy for the uptempo parts than heaviness, that ending chord at 5:29 makes me optimistic that their slower parts might appeal to me more than I remembered, as that is just the sort of tone I like. 

---

TAC - Abduction - "Par ce coeur les lys fleurissent"

Early Impression - "The drumming is killer, although I'm not sure if it's the accent, but the harsh vocals seem more effective than the cleans."

It's kind of funny that we had a discussion about French lyrics before you submitted, and then at first I wasn't quite sure what to make of the vocalist's accent.  But over a number of plays I became acclimated to it and it was fine.  I still might prefer the harsh vocals, but the cleans have some variety and effectively contrasted the harsh vocals at many points.  So much of the metal I like is European, but I probably tend to overlook France as a source too often. 

The strong point of this band is definitely the drummer.  He has quite a panoply of different types of rhythms, fills, and ornamentation that helps keep the song engaging throughout the runtime, which are especially needed to offset all of the blasts and double bass sections, which have the potential to be monotous if they aren't reigned in.  It's hard to even identity specific spots because there are so many of them, but 7:19 is especially salient, notably for the cymbal work in a calmer part. 

One thing that puzzles me is how on many plays of these songs in general, how some things annoy me more over time, others grow on me, and yet others remain the same.  For example, one contrast I noticed the first time through is how different the tom work sounds at 9:23 compared to 11:27.  The former section ironically felt too dry and sparse at first, since it sounds like a rack tom and consequently typically too high-pitched for that type of part.  Whereas the latter, while much more rhythmically simple, sounds like a lower-pitched floor tom with more reverb, which gives more weight and spaciousness to it.  But what became obvious on later plays is that it's the rest of the arrangement around the part that changes the feel.  The latter section still has the guitar arpeggios, but rather than the soft background vocal oohs, now has a tremolo-picked lead line that fills out some of the absent rhythms from the earlier passage. 

The clean guitar tone is a bit plain, but there are enough layers of it in appropriate spots that it mitigates the issue, 5:08 being a perfect example, as it slowly builds over the next minute.  Even the electric lead lines take a similar approach, such as at 7:50 where it adds an additional lead, making a tonal swarm out of them.  Or 8:52, which brings back the section from 4:45, but this time with an extra melodic line. 

---

Sacul - Converge - "Jane Doe"

Early Impression - "This band is not nearly as noisy and is much more melodic than I remember them being a while back."

So this is a curious case where technically-speaking I've been saying that artists I've rated anything from 4.5 or 5.0 are hard-banned, but this is a rather unique situation, and I suppose there's more of a grey area in those ratings than I had anticipated.  Their latest album Bloodmoon: I is rated 4.5 stars for me on RYM, but it's a collaboration with Chelsea Wolfe, one of my absolute favorite artists, and from everything I've read and what else I've heard from them, is quite different than all of their earlier material, and the rating is more for the contributions of Chelsea (and also Ben Chisholm, her production and atmospherics wizard) - it's less about Converge. 

The zeitgeist among many of the music aficionados I knew in the mid-00s was all about Converge, the album this song was taken from in particular, so I had listened to this back then and didn't like it at all, and for a long time it had a quite low rating on my RYM account.  But the album with Chelsea made me realize that since it's been such a long time, I probably need to reevaluate Converge more freshly.  I listened to their album prior to this at that point and went down a bit of a rabbit hole of watching Kurt Ballou interviews, but my attention was diverted by other things before I ever got back around to revisiting Converge's earlier albums.  So I'm quite glad I'm having the opportunity to give this another shot, and see if they can maintain my interest even without Chelsea and Ben's involvement. 

And like my impression notes, this is much less chaotic and far more memorable than I had thought their output in this era had the potential to be based on my recollection.  There is still some dissonant riffing going on at times, but it's just the right amount to not put me off, and it effectively contrasts with the more melodic chorus, which is more resplendent and melancholic than I realized they had the capability of being in this period.  One of the things I like about melodic death metal is that contrast of heavier and lighter elements, and while obviously this is much more metalcore/punk-leaning, it captures a different flavor of that approach.  One of the more interesting examples is also in the chorus, with three layers of melodicism happening simultaneously, with the primary vocal melody, the melodic guitar line on the left, and then at 2:17 on the left another guitar line begins with more of a flanged sound.  There is also a lot more structure than I was expecting with repeated sections, and a serendipitously epic ending. 

Additionally, the production is also much more listenable than I remember.  My memory is of it being much muddier and murkier, and I'm unsure how much is just that over a decade and a half of listening to a variety of other music has made me much better at picking up things than I was back then.  Both the guitar and drum engineering is quite full and crisper than I expected, the guitars are quite beefy, and the snare pops.  A drum bit I especially liked is the little open hat and ride bell flourish at 2:45 and other spots.  I also like the guitar line on the left at 6:18 with the flanger again, and the riff at 7:06, which is quite irresistible, especially with that unison bend and the harmonics.  The bass is more felt than heard much of the time, but it does peak through in a few moments. 

I can't directly factor it into the ranking, but I also watched the '16 Roadburn live version of this song with Brodsky, and might even prefer it to the original slightly, partially because it sounds like he might be using an HM2 pedal, which helps give it one of the more monstrous live tones I've heard.  That's one of the things from Demiurg that I don't believe anyone really picked up on in any of the entries, but part of my interest in giving Converge another shot is that I know they cite Entombed as a major inspiration. 

I'm still not generally crazy about hardcore-style vocals, but through exposure and familiarity I think Bannon's are slowly starting to grow on me.  It's not really a tremendous leap from a favorite of mine like Tomas Lindberg, who has a lot of punk/hardcore influences.  I'm not really diving into other songs on this album or on others in this time period yet, though from a limited sample it seems some of them might be wilder than this one, so I suppose I'm going to need to give them another listen in the near future as well, but for now, this is a good next step in reconsidering this band. 

Score:  7.75/10

---

Evermind - So Hideous - "Yesteryear"

Early Impression - "This seems like such an obvious pairing of genres that I'm surprised I can't think offhand of other bands who've done it."

By the impression I mean orchestral blackgaze, a merging of blackgaze and symphonic black metal.  Perhaps there are others who play it, and I've just overlooked them because I'm not deep into the style, but it's a surprisingly effective sound.  Apparently this also counts as screamo, which is curious since I've listened to very little in that genre, since it used to be the default disparaging term for people who knew nothing about extreme music to call anything with harsh vocals.  But if this also counts as an example of that style it's proof that there is gold to be mined in genres like that that I'm unfamiliar with.  Additionally, it's proggier than I expected, with the opening being in 7/4.  A short video on the concept behind this revealed that the album/song has to do with brain activity seven minutes after death, so that is a fascinating tie-in. 

This piece also confuses me, because in an objective sense at least for my standards, it's not mixed that well, feeling kind of hollow, with no lower midrange to the guitars, mostly just being a wash of sound, but perhaps there is just enough bass to make it work.  The tone of the lead guitars is a highlight though, with some of that wooly Godspeed You! Black Emperor-esque overdrive.  The melodies from the guitars and strings are really captivating.  My favorite is probably over the cinematic chromatic-ish progression at 5:39.  It probably would have been even better if a single violin played the line at some point rather than the whole string ensemble, but it's sublime enough that I can't complain too much. 

I like the contrast of the sustained strings over the broken up bass drum patterns towards the end, it gives some variety from the more steady double bass of earlier in the song, and is a more unique choice when I suspect some bands would just be tempted to go into full blast mode at that point.  I also don't like how quickly the fadeout at the end is - it's really abrupt, and I'd have preferred swelling to a final chord with a slow and held fadeout, but it's not enough to ding the score much. 

Score:  7.75/10

---

ariich - Stortregn - "Evocation of Light"

Early Impression - "I think you have definitely found the closest thing in the round to a doppelganger for my first song."

This is just a really solid cut, compacting many of the things about my first song in a somewhat streamlined package.  The harsh vocals in the upper range are a bit reminiscent of Mikael Stanne, which is never a bad thing, particularly in this round.  Guitar melodies abound, and they are fairly uniformly gratifying.  2:42 is a splendid transition, with the short slower melodic lead transforming into a beautiful nylon-string passage. 

The drumming doesn't top Minnemann's or Abduction's in other submissions, but there are various delectable snippets here, like at 2:06 where it taps into one of my minor musical pleasure centers with the offbeat China.  Or at 2:13 there's a bit of savory hat work, as well as at 2:35 and 4:14.  Some of the tom fills are quite striking in how they quickly pan across the stereo spectrum, in a variety of spots, but a particularly dazzling moment being at 3:10.  I also glad to have the bass audible. 

Also in non-musical terms, I'm thrilled that this also has another Kristian Wĺhlin cover. 

Score:  8.25/10
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 08:57:42 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Elite - Wilderun - "Passenger"

Early Impression - "I think I've been sleeping on this band.  They probably combine more elements of my two songs than any other band in this round, but also go some other places."

Well, it looks like we have your biggest hit yet.  And with a band that I'd heard their latest two albums from, but wrote off as interesting, albeit not a high priority to check out further.  Seems like I was wrong about that.  They are compared a lot of Opeth, and as a pretty big Opeth fan, this type of comparison often piques my interest, but rarely do any of these bands turn out to be anywhere near as appealing.  Well, we definitely have a new contender now that I'll have to pay more close attention to as I give their full albums another shot.  I still don't think they sound that close to Opeth in totality, but I can hear that they have a similar approach in incorporating a wide array of types of sounds into an extreme metal context.  And perhaps most critically, they have a songwriting sense of going unexpected places with chord changes that aren't really predictable unless you're familiar with their style.  That sense of wonderment kept this as one of the more riveting listens of the round each time. 

I'm not sure how they're going about executing the lower male choral vocals (they sound far better on the studio recording than in the behind the scenes production video I watched), but they're certainly a unique touch that sets them apart from Opeth and many other bands.  They have some intoxicating harmonies starting at 3:41.  In addition, both they and the vocals from the bass/keyboard player's wife provide a refreshing juxtaposition.  I suppose the vocal stacking, along with the occasional usage of lydian mode makes this a good halfway point between Opeth and Devin Townsend.  I also really like the vocal melody at 4:28, it is certainly one of the more enthralling moments of the song. 

There are lots of delightful guitar moments, like the chords at 2:42.  5:10 has a neat flanged tone, though it was far too short.  7:34 is a rather unusual sound with the guitar chugs bouncing off of the muted upper guitar line.  I'm kind of surprised given their ubiquity in the prog scene that there haven't been more songs sent so far with incorporation of cymbal stacks, but we have them briefly at a few spots like 5:46 and 7:07 in this song.  I have a bit of an effects cymbal sweet tooth.  Further, the symphonic elements of this piece fare better than in some of the earlier submissions - they're employed unobtrusively enough that they enhance, rather than detract from the proceedings.  There is also a dash of mandolin in the song, and it can be seen in the music video, but hopefully other songs have even more of it. 

Score:  8.5/10

---

SoundscapeMN - In Vain - "Floating on the Murmuring Tide"

Early Impression - "This really hits on a lot of different things I like - I don't know why I didn't pay more attention to this artist earlier, but late is better than never."

I'm not sure I realized before this round just how much I like small, controlled amounts of guitar feedback, between the ending of the track from Black Anvil, certain moments of Morrow, and the opening of this cut.  We even get a bit more of it in the section at 1:53 overtop of the sustained E-bow lines, which I'm thrilled that I'm getting a number of tracks with this round as well.  With at times at least three of those sustaining layers, it's quite efficacious as a satisfying replacement for a keyboard or string pad. 

I was unsure at first of what to make of the acoustic passage at 4:25, as sometimes I feel like I'm allergic to major keys in metal, but it actually worked unexpectedly well, especially once the slow melodic lead was integrated.  8:23 is probably my favorite solo of the round, with a sparkling tone, and with a savorous mixture of melodicism and bravura, and a tasty whammy dip at 8:34.  Though like I've noted in a few other writeups, it does nettle me a bit when they fade a solo out at the end of a track, as they unfortunately do here.  But this song does so much else right that I can't dock it too much for that. 

Serendipitously, but I suppose appropriately given the broad theme of the round, this is the second vocalist who reminds me of Mikael Stanne, mostly with the baritone cleans at 6:14.  And to complete the game of melodeath charades, the guitar harmony section at 7:17 is quite reminiscent of some Amorphis passages.  The harsh vocals are pretty varied as well, I particularly like the stack of them at 0:49 and a few other moments. 

It's curious how many of the songs this round have some form of orchestral backing, especially given that neither of my theme songs for the round had any of it.  But they're utilized effectively enough here, and it helps that they're from live violin and cello players probably multi-tracking their parts to simulate a slightly larger ensemble.  And of course the cherry on top is the two saxophone passages, I'm always glad to see them implemented in more melancholic and melodic ways. 

---

soupytwist - Seven Spires - "Gods of Debauchery"

Early Impression - "I think I'm slowly starting to see what the hype about this band is.  The vocals are especially impressive."

Well, this roulette is certainly proving that there are many bands I've heard before, didn't really hit me initially, but over the course of a number of listens have blossomed.  I'd heard their latest two albums and thought they were interesting, but didn't convince me at that point that I should spend more time with them. 

The vocals here are easily the most impressive facet.  Right from the opening harmonies I could tell this was going to be special, with the two vocal tracks moving independently between unison, dissonance, and more conventional harmonies.  5:52 is also a rather unusual powerful and gritty clean that I can't think offhand of a comparison for.  And the harsh vocals move between a range of different pitches, my favorite of which are the upper range goblin-esque ones, which sound uncannily like some of Lauren Babic's.  The pitch sweep up to them at 4:06 is quite exhilarating.  I'm sort of surprised she doesn't have more frequent use of the small ensemble backing choral vocals like at 6:09, though I suppose they might be more impactful in smaller doses. 

This song also has one of the better guitar tones in the round.  The bass mostly stays in the background, but is always audible and has a few nice lines here and there, like at 5:15 and 7:57.  I like how it establishes the At The Gates-ish main verse riff on its own first at 2:53 before it melds with the guitar riff.  I also like the interplay of the guitar and keyboard riffs at 4:10.  They're not playing quite the same riff like it initially almost sounds like they could be, but it's similar, and then it continues to work well when the guitar line goes down an octave.  Additionally, this tune further confirms that there's something magical about a song resolving the root minor chord to major, and then going back to the VI chord, as it does at 2:25 and numerous other spots. 

I'm certainly quite curious to revisit this album and the prior one again now that I have a better grasp on their sound.  I like to think that after hearing thousands of albums that I have an ear for noticing fairly quickly if something new will be worth devoting more time to, but as bands like they and Wilderun this round demonstrate, I don't always get that right. 

Score:  8.75/10

---

Nachtmerrie - Rannoch - "Despair"

Early Impression - "Now This is how guitars should sound."

Wow, this one doesn't waste any time.  That first riff is spellbinding, it's like this swirl of chromatic concentric circles.  It seems like a riff someone must have come up with before, but I can't think of anything else like it.  I'm not sure whether it's more arresting in the higher or the lower octave like on successive repeats, or when it's harmonized later at 3:10.  And you don't have to wait long for it to let it ring out for a bit at 0:40, something surprisingly few more technically-adept bands give space for - they often feel the need to cram every single nook and cranny with more notes.  And the guitar tone there is just immense, easily the best of the round. 

At 1:39 we get some beautiful downtuned acoustics, some ethereal sustained guitar melodies, and a powerful bass tone at 1:51.  So not even two minutes into the song and we have more timbral variety than it takes many bands a whole album to bring out.  They kind of remind me of a meatier-sounding and faster Daylight Dies.  Starting at 2:05 is fascinating to listen to the two different rhythm tracks panned on either side playing similar, but not quite identical parts that work together well.  3:50 is another flavorful tone that I'm sure has been done before by someone earlier, but the distinctive sound of the left rhythm guitar emphasizing the 5th has this harmonic bite to it that reminds me of TesseracT at times.  The riff is quite simple, and lesser bands might make it seem monotonous in keeping it going for too long, but the drum pattern is constantly evolving to keep it engaging, particularly once the ride starts synchronizing with the riff at 4:09.  And then a different riff momentarily breaks it up, for it to return with the soundscapes in the background becoming more salient. 

I'm sure some of the drums are triggered, but they have a fair amount of oomph and avoid the trap of being clicky-sounding that too many bands fall into. 

This song really has everything.  I was not expecting the riffing to seamlessly transition into a dark ambient passage towards the 6-minute mark, and then just as smoothly to move into a folkier passage with acoustics, percussion, and some Alice In Chains-ish vocal harmonies, and then the delightful harmony and octave dual lead section.  In just those two minutes and the first two they accomplish what many bands are unable to in an entire career.  This is what makes all of these listens so worth it, to find both bands I've heard of or casually listened to and overlooked, and others like this one that I wasn't even aware existed, but now will hopefully be a favorite for years to come if their other songs are anywhere near this good. 

Score:  9/10

---

Standings:

SoundscapeMN ----------------- 34
Nachtmerrie --------------------- 33
TAC ------------------------------- 32.75
HOF -------------------------------- 31.75
Evermind --------------------------- 31.25
ariich -------------------------------- 31
soupytwist --------------------------- 31
Lethean ------------------------------- 30.5
senecadawg2 -------------------------- 30.25
Stadler ---------------------------------- 30
Sacul ------------------------------------- 29.75
Vmadera00 ------------------------------- 29.75
Tomislav95 ------------------------------ 29.5
Elite ------------------------------------ 29.25
Buddyhunter1 ------------------------ 28.75
twosuitluke -------------------------- 28.75
Puppies_On_Acid ------------------- 28.5
Crow -------------------------------- 27.25
romdrums ------------------------- 14.25 (had to drop out after the second round)

---

I'll post the topic songs for round 5 tomorrow. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, Results already! Nice.

I'll take the 7.5.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

I think you should post them now.  Very curious about what genre I'm going to have to come up with.

I thought my song would be considered post metal.  I can live with that score though.

Offline HOF

Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol. I: Variety & Reciprocity (R4 Results!)
« Reply #1062 on: February 01, 2023, 07:55:05 PM »
Slipping, but maybe the next mystery songs will be kinder to me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol. I: Variety & Reciprocity (R4 Results!)
« Reply #1063 on: February 01, 2023, 07:59:50 PM »
I think you should post them now.  Very curious about what genre I'm going to have to come up with.

Nah, I like a bit of breathing space between results and starting the next round, both for me to decompress and for other people to take some time and read other writeups if they want more clues about what things I like and don't like as much. 

I thought my song would be considered post metal.  I can live with that score though.

Their Bandcamp says black metal/ambient/art rock/minimalism, Rate Your Music says atmospheric black metal, Metal-Archives says atmospheric/post-black metal.  Stir that in a cauldron and I guess it's somewhere in there.  It's just not heavy like a lot of post-metal is, though I suppose it's a broad enough style that less heavy but still metallic music can fit under it. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1064 on: February 01, 2023, 08:01:04 PM »
Nah, I like a bit of breathing space between results and starting the next round, both for me to decompress and for other people to take some time and read other writeups if they want more clues about what things I like and don't like as much. 

It's extremely rare for me to read the other writeups.  :lol

Oh, and you have a roulette to sign up for.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1065 on: February 01, 2023, 08:02:07 PM »
I know, I haven't had time to read it yet.  :)

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1066 on: February 01, 2023, 09:16:02 PM »
My goal is to now get one 8/10 before this roulette is over. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1067 on: February 01, 2023, 09:36:09 PM »
If round 3 had been a single song round and you'd only sent "Death Drop" you'd already have it.   :D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1068 on: February 01, 2023, 10:20:37 PM »
Nice, a definite improvement! Glad you liked it. Interested to know what you thought of that more recent and frantic Stortregn song you'd checked out from someone else's roulette!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliňujoŕupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1069 on: February 01, 2023, 11:15:53 PM »
we stay mildly succeeding  :hat

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1070 on: February 01, 2023, 11:21:25 PM »
Wow! That went a lot better than previous round. I liked the write-up too, it’s cool to read how you dissect songs and what stuff you pay attention to. Now go enjoy the rest of their music!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1071 on: February 02, 2023, 12:38:59 AM »
Me and Crow bringing up the rear. All is right in the universe :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1072 on: February 02, 2023, 05:42:43 AM »
I feared this result; it's good to know my instincts aren't wrong. Onwards and upwards!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1073 on: February 02, 2023, 05:54:40 AM »
Can't wait to send this round's mystery songs through my Metal Converter.

Online SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN - In Vain - "Floating on the Murmuring Tide"

Early Impression - "This really hits on a lot of different things I like - I don't know why I didn't pay more attention to this artist earlier, but late is better than never."

I'm not sure I realized before this round just how much I like small, controlled amounts of guitar feedback, between the ending of the track from Black Anvil, certain moments of Morrow, and the opening of this cut.  We even get a bit more of it in the section at 1:53 overtop of the sustained E-bow lines, which I'm thrilled that I'm getting a number of tracks with this round as well.  With at times at least three of those sustaining layers, it's quite efficacious as a satisfying replacement for a keyboard or string pad. 

I was unsure at first of what to make of the acoustic passage at 4:25, as sometimes I feel like I'm allergic to major keys in metal, but it actually worked unexpectedly well, especially once the slow melodic lead was integrated.  8:23 is probably my favorite solo of the round, with a sparkling tone, and with a savorous mixture of melodicism and bravura, and a tasty whammy dip at 8:34.  Though like I've noted in a few other writeups, it does nettle me a bit when they fade a solo out at the end of a track, as they unfortunately do here.  But this song does so much else right that I can't dock it too much for that. 

Serendipitously, but I suppose appropriately given the broad theme of the round, this is the second vocalist who reminds me of Mikael Stanne, mostly with the baritone cleans at 6:14.  And to complete the game of melodeath charades, the guitar harmony section at 7:17 is quite reminiscent of some Amorphis passages.  The harsh vocals are pretty varied as well, I particularly like the stack of them at 0:49 and a few other moments. 

It's curious how many of the songs this round have some form of orchestral backing, especially given that neither of my theme songs for the round had any of it.  But they're utilized effectively enough here, and it helps that they're from live violin and cello players probably multi-tracking their parts to simulate a slightly larger ensemble.  And of course the cherry on top is the two saxophone passages, I'm always glad to see them implemented in more melancholic and melodic ways. 

I'm actually unfamiliar with both Black Anvil, Morrow? and Mikael Stanne. But I probably should check them out.

I think among other things, the way In Vain uses non-traditional instrumentation (Sax especially) with Metal is 1 of the big reasons I wondered if you'd enjoy them.

edit: Stanne is with Dark Tranquillity and was in Hammerfall and In Flames? go figure. I know them, but not the band members names so much :p.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1075 on: February 02, 2023, 06:50:04 AM »
Cool!

Two rounds in the top 2, and two rounds in the bottom 2.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1076 on: February 02, 2023, 07:02:42 AM »
Fair score and about what I expected  :)

The band came out with a new album last year which is pretty good (IMO). I like their style a bit more than other black metal bands.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #1077 on: February 02, 2023, 01:15:54 PM »
You made my day with this score!
New album should be out this year with Dan Presland (former Ne Obliviscaris) taking care of the drums.

Your reviews continue to impress me. A lot of focus on details while you have a lot of music to digest in a few days. :hefdaddy

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1078 on: February 02, 2023, 03:39:24 PM »
So here are the songs for round 5.  I'm sure we're now way out of the wheelhouse of some people, but hopefully at least somewhat into that of others. 

Marissa Nadler - "Under an Old Umbrella" - from The Saga of Mayflower May, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCTDMzeJdv4

Vila - "Liminal Space" - from the Liminal Space EP, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rG9CBUvH-Y

Louise Lemón - "Egyptian Darkness" - from the Purge EP, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgK7QwMc_8U

Send back one song reminiscent of one or more of these to lithojazzosphere@outlook.com.  Youtube links are best, but I'll accept almost anything. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1079 on: February 02, 2023, 03:48:11 PM »
I'm actually unfamiliar with both Black Anvil, Morrow?...But I probably should check them out.

Well, I'm not that familiar with them either, just that they were two of the other submissions this round, so I know a song from each, plus a bit of background research. 

Cool!

Two rounds in the top 2, and two rounds in the bottom 2.

The anti-ariich!   :coolio

New album should be out this year with Dan Presland (former Ne Obliviscaris) taking care of the drums.

Ooh, nice, it's always great to get into bands and discover that new material is just around the corner.  Hopefully Dan shows a bit more double bass restraint than on "Forget Not" from round two though.   ;D

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1080 on: February 02, 2023, 04:30:13 PM »
Sent!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1081 on: February 02, 2023, 04:31:57 PM »
The Metal Converter hath spoken and I am sent too.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1082 on: February 02, 2023, 05:09:09 PM »
Well my options here are limited but I think I've got an ace up my sleeve.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1083 on: February 02, 2023, 09:45:05 PM »
I has sent!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1084 on: February 03, 2023, 01:57:12 AM »
Alrighty, this round is right up my alley but the challenge will be finding something you either don't already know or hasn't already been sent earlier in the roulette. :lol

I be am boner inducing.