Author Topic: Official Led Zeppelin Top 40 Countdown Thread!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 21890 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: Official Led Zeppelin Top 40 Countdown Thread!! (#s 10 & 09 featured!!)
« Reply #525 on: January 03, 2023, 08:20:44 AM »
Growing up I loved those countdowns on my local radio stations. One year I got a poster of the the previous year's Top 1000, had it on my wall for years. Believe song #4 from album #4 was #1 on that list.

The reason for the famous joke about that song in Wayne’s World was born from the fact that the song in question was #1 on those lists for about 15 years in a row or more.

Even with a song that great, eventually people get burned out.

No; I always thought it was a reference to the sort of cliché that when lousy guitar players go into the guitar store they invariably play one of two songs (again, poorly):  Stairway or Smoke on the Water.  I didn't think it had anything to do with any lists.

As someone who has worked in and around music retail for the last 20 years, I can confirm that Stadler is dead-on.

Yes, even today, fifty years after it's release, people still roll into the shop on their lunch break and proceed to spend a half-hour butchering that admittedly tricky intro. As soon as I hear the first three notes of that A minor, I reflexively cringe.

A somewhat related anecdote: I taught guitar for about ten years, and while "Stairway" was one of the songs I kept in my repertoire (under the assumption that I would have to teach it to the droves of budding guitarists)

To my surprise, I never had a single student request to learn it. While I always had at least one student working on "Crazy Train," "Enter Sandman," or "[insert flavor of the month single here]", Stairway never came up—go figure.

Online HOF

Re: Official Led Zeppelin Top 40 Countdown Thread!! (#s 08 & 07 featured!!)
« Reply #526 on: January 03, 2023, 08:41:39 AM »
Dazed and Confused is definitely the type of Zeppelin song I never liked before. Kind of a tortured melody, bluesy jam type song. Listening now, some of the heavier parts are cool, and the solo section in the middle when the tempo picks up is cool. Not sure I've ever stuck around long enough with this song to get to this point before. Basically, I like that part but don't like the rest of it at all!

Rain Song is really beautiful. I've only heard it once or twice before, but it really struck me the first time I heard it, and I'm glad this exercise is getting me to revisit it now. It's tremendous, and definitely worthy of a top 10 finish. It probably would have been at least this high if I had done a list, but maybe higher!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #527 on: January 03, 2023, 09:40:56 AM »
08 Dazed and Confused

07 The Rain Song

I had Dazed at #31.  There's a lot to like about it, but my ultimate ranking ended up being negatively influenced by the interminable live versions.  I had Rain at #22.  After all the highs of The Song Remains the Same, it's a bit of a letdown, but there's lots of cool guitar work, especially when it FINALLY kicks into gear around the 5:00 mark.

My rankings so far (26/34)...

40  ???
39  ???
38  Living Loving Maid (She’s Just a Woman)
37  Hey, Hey, What Can I Do
36  ???
35  ???
34  Over the Hills and Far Away
33  Dancing Days
32  ???
31  Dazed and Confused
30  Misty Mountain Hop
29  Trampled Under Foot
28  Ramble On
27  Good Times Bad Times
26  ???
25  Houses of the Holy
24  The Ocean
23  ???
22  The Rain Song
21  Going to California
20  ???
19  ???
18  ???
17  In the Evening
16  All My Love
15  Heartbreaker
14  ???
13  Fool in the Rain
12  Rock and Roll
11  The Battle of Evermore
10  Communication Breakdown
9  Whole Lotta Love
8  Black Dog
7  The Rover
6  Ten Years Gone
5  Carouselambra
???
???
2  The Song Remains the Same
???

NOT RANKED:
Nobody's Fault But Mine
In the Light
How Many More Times
Thank You
In My Time of Dying
What Is and What Should Never Be
Since I've Been Loving You
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Growing up I loved those countdowns on my local radio stations. One year I got a poster of the the previous year's Top 1000, had it on my wall for years. Believe song #4 from album #4 was #1 on that list.

The reason for the famous joke about that song in Wayne’s World was born from the fact that the song in question was #1 on those lists for about 15 years in a row or more.

Even with a song that great, eventually people get burned out.

No; I always thought it was a reference to the sort of cliché that when lousy guitar players go into the guitar store they invariably play one of two songs (again, poorly):  Stairway or Smoke on the Water.  I didn't think it had anything to do with any lists.   

Yup.  Absolutely.  The same thing applied at the rehearsal space my band had many years ago.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Official Led Zeppelin Top 40 Countdown Thread!! (#s 29 & 28 featured!!)
« Reply #528 on: January 03, 2023, 11:24:38 AM »
40 Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman) #25

39 Hey, Hey, What Can I Do #39!

38 Nobody's Fault But Mine #11

37 Carouselambra #24

35 (t) All My Love NR

35 (t) Fool In The Rain NR

34 In The Light NR

32 (t) Dancing Days #7

32 (t) How Many More Times NR

31 Thank You #3

30 The Ocean NR

29 Communication Breakdown #28

28 Houses of the Holy #9

27 Misty Mountain Hop #32

26 Going to California #29

25 Trampled Under Foot #6

24 The Rover #26

23 In My Time of Dying NR

22 The Battle of Evermore #15

21 What Is and What Should Never Be #27

20 Heartbreaker #35

19 Since I've Been Loving You NR

18 Ramble On #13

17 Over the Hills #14

16 In the Evening #12

15 Ten Years Gone #19

14 The Song Remains the Same #10

13 Good Times Bad Times #38

12 Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You #20

11 Whole Lotta Love #8

10 Black Dog #17

09 Rock & Roll #4

08 Dazed and Confused #31

07 The Rain Song #34

Offline Animal

« Reply #529 on: January 03, 2023, 12:08:48 PM »

The Rain Song - #10.  It's funny, I often waffle back and forth between this and the other 'longer' song on HOTH as to which I prefer.  I never really knew that the broader consensus was that this was a Top 10 song, and the other didn't even crack the Top 40.  huh :dunno:

There's been a lot of song that made 18/21 lists.  Did 3 people just, like, troll the group with their submissions and skip most of the 'better' songs?  :D

I am pretty sure the longer song you are talking about did make Top 40. I can hardly envision a universe in which it would not be Top 5 or, at worst, Top 10 song. It not making Top 40 is just ...not possible.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #530 on: January 03, 2023, 12:33:22 PM »

The Rain Song - #10.  It's funny, I often waffle back and forth between this and the other 'longer' song on HOTH as to which I prefer.  I never really knew that the broader consensus was that this was a Top 10 song, and the other didn't even crack the Top 40.  huh :dunno:

I am pretty sure the longer song you are talking about did make Top 40. I can hardly envision a universe in which it would not be Top 5 or, at worst, Top 10 song. It not making Top 40 is just ...not possible.

Yeah...I assume the song in question will show up in the top 6.  I'm pretty certain about 5 of the top 6 (my numbers 1, 3, 4, 23 and 32 songs), but I have no idea what the 6th song will be (or, perhaps more accurately, I have lots of ideas and will be surprised that all but one of them will be shut out of the top 40).

The interesting thing now is that (I think) it's an absolute certainty that no album got every song in the top 40.  Not sure if that's surprising to others, but it is to me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #531 on: January 03, 2023, 12:40:12 PM »
Current album standings...

1T. untitled 4th album (5 songs - 111 points) - Misty Mountain Hop (#27); Going to California (#26); The Battle of Evermore (#22); Black Dog (#9); Rock and Roll (#8)

1T. Led Zeppelin (5 songs - 111 points) - How Many More Times (#32T); Communication Breakdown (#29); Good Times Bad Times (#13); Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (#12); Dazed and Confused (#8)

3T. Houses of the Holy (5 songs - 105 points) - Dancing Days (#32T); The Ocean (#30); Over the Hills and Far Away (#17); The Song Remains the Same (#14); The Rain Song (#7)

3T. Led Zeppelin II (6 songs - 105 points) - Living Loving Maid (#40); Thank You (#31); What Is and What Should Never Be (#21); Heartbreaker (#20); Ramble On (#18); Whole Lotta Love (#11)

5. Physical Graffiti (6 songs - 97 points) - In the Light (#34); Houses of the Holy (#28); Trampled Under Foot (#25); The Rover (#24); In My Time of Dying (#23); Ten Years Gone (#15)

6. In Through the Out Door (4 songs - 41 points) - Carouselambra (#37); Fool in the Rain (#35T); All My Love (#35T); In the Evening (#16)

7. Led Zeppelin III (1 song - 22 points) - Since I've Been Loving You (#19)

8. Presence (1 song - 3 points) - Nobody's Fault But Mine (#38)

9. other (1 song - 2 points) - Hey, Hey, What Can I Do (#39)

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #532 on: January 03, 2023, 01:28:02 PM »
I have Dazed and Confused at #9. The Rain Song just missed making the cut, at #43.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #533 on: January 03, 2023, 01:34:00 PM »
08 Dazed and Confused
Appeared on 18 of 21 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (Dream Team)
8 Top 10 Finishes

07 The Rain Song
Appeared on 16 of 21 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (nobloodyname)
9 Top 10 Finishes

I had Dazed And Confused at #36. I can take it or leave it. 35-45 are all interchangeable.

I had The Rain Song as Not Rated. Just missed the cut, but again, well, see D&C.
Top 40                                                                      Not Rated
40.                                                                           Communication Breakdown
39.                                                                           Misty Mountain Hop
38. Thank You                                                           The Battle Of Evermore
37. Carouselambra                                                    Since I've Been Loving You
36.  Dazed And Confused                                           Good Times Bad Times
35. Living Loving Maid                                                Whole Lotta Love
34. Ramble On                                                           Black Dog
33. Dancing Days                                                       The Rain Song
30. Rock And Roll
29. Going To California
27. All My Love
26. Over The Hills And Far Away
25. Hey Hey What Can I Do
23. What Is And What Should Never Be
22. The Ocean
21. Trampled Under Foot
18. How Many More Times
17. Nobody's Fault But Mine
16. Heartbreaker
15. Fool In The Rain
13. Dancing Days
12. Ten Years Gone
10. In The Evening
8. In My Time Of Dying
7. The Rover
6. The Song Remains The Same
5. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
3. In The Light

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: January 03, 2023, 02:26:41 PM »
08 Dazed and Confused
Highest Finish: 2 (Dream Team)
8 Top 10 Finishes

I ranked this 8th, so I nailed it!  I liked it in my early fandom days, but it didn't become a major favorite of mine until years later.  I have never had any interest in hearing the super long live versions of it (and still don't), as the studio version is already perfect and awesome already.

That's too bad, IMO. I kinda understand folks getting bored with the long middle jam, but to me the studio version just can't compare to the verses of the live performances. See also the soundtrack to The Song Remains the Same. The aggression that Page attacks the strings of his Les Paul on the descending riffs coupled with the slow vibrato of his string bends is sooooo acid-rock. It's glorious!!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #535 on: January 03, 2023, 03:55:08 PM »
Not Rated:
<12 songs>

I'm glad I'm not the only one with 12 hot-takes!

Yeah...I assume the song in question will show up in the top 6.  I'm pretty certain about 5 of the top 6 (my numbers 1, 3, 4, 23 and 32 songs), but I have no idea what the 6th song will be (or, perhaps more accurately, I have lots of ideas and will be surprised that all but one of them will be shut out of the top 40).

The interesting thing now is that (I think) it's an absolute certainty that no album got every song in the top 40.  Not sure if that's surprising to others, but it is to me.

Well, then that just means there's another song that I cannot fathom is *not* in the Top 40.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #536 on: January 03, 2023, 06:57:29 PM »
Tomorrow will likely result in a lot of "I can't believe this didn't finish higher" posts. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #537 on: January 03, 2023, 06:59:50 PM »
Tomorrow will likely result in a lot of "I can't believe this didn't finish higher" posts.

I’m guessing that you wouldn’t say that unless it had a really high amount of top votes….but just enough people left it off to drop it out of the top 5.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #538 on: January 03, 2023, 07:01:37 PM »

I’m guessing that you wouldn’t say that unless it had a really high amount of top votes….but just enough people left it off to drop it out of the top 5.

Well, pretty much every song left had a shit ton of top votes, so there's that.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #539 on: January 03, 2023, 07:04:50 PM »

Poor Tom?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #540 on: January 03, 2023, 07:37:11 PM »
Catching up on the last 3 entries...

The Song Remains The Same: #23
Good Times Bad Times: #27
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You: #26
Whole Lotta Love: #19
Black Dog: #33
Rock and Roll: #14
Dazed and Confused: #12
The Rain Song: #22

State of play:

40. The Battle of Evermore
39. I think will make the list
38. Over The Hills And Far Away
37. Living Loving Maid (She’s Just A Woman)
36. Misty Mountain Hop
35. Won't make the list
34. All My Love
33. Black Dog
32. Won't make the list
31. Going To California
30. In The Light
29. Houses of the Holy
28. I think will make the list
27. Good Times Bad Times
26. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
25. Ten Years Gone
24. Heartbreaker
23. The Song Remains The Same
22. The Rain Song
21. Thank You
20. Dancing Days
19. Whole Lotta Love
18. What Is And What Should Never Be
17. Won't make the list
16. How Many More Times
15. Will make the list
14. Rock and Roll
13. The Ocean
12. Dazed and Confused
11. In The Evening
10. Nobody’s Fault But Mine
9. Will make the list
8. Starting to think it won't make the list, even though I thought it was a shoo-in.
7. In My Time of Dying
6. Won't make the list
5. Probably won't make the list
4. The Rover
3. Since I've Been Loving You
2. Will make the list
1. Will make the list

Not ranked:

Hey Hey What Can I Do
Carouselambra
Fool In The Rain
Communication Breakdown
Trampled Under Foot
Ramble On
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 07:44:21 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: January 03, 2023, 08:04:20 PM »

For me, there's definitely one that I'm gonna be stunned is not Top 40.  I'm still not completely sure which, but I'm fairly certain I know.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: January 03, 2023, 08:55:28 PM »
This final 6 definitely has me baffled in a way the other band countdowns I've participated in have not. I have 4 on my list that should make the final 6, and I'd be amazed if the rest of my list that hasn't been slotted yet make the other 2 spots.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #543 on: January 03, 2023, 10:06:53 PM »

There's not a whole lot higher than 5/6, and the songs I'm confident are coming could easily finish anywhere in the top 6 spots.  I think we'll see a lot more "I'm surprised this finished this high" and "I can't believe this made it while [other song] didn't" posts.

Poor Tom?

Ozone Baby.

Offline Animal

« Reply #544 on: January 03, 2023, 10:45:11 PM »
This final 6 definitely has me baffled in a way the other band countdowns I've participated in have not. I have 4 on my list that should make the final 6, and I'd be amazed if the rest of my list that hasn't been slotted yet make the other 2 spots.

I wonder if this is about where you are coming from as a fan. From my perspective of a casual LZ listener, the Top 10 was clear the moment n.11 and 12. were revealed (admittedly, we have yet to see how that plays out).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #545 on: January 04, 2023, 12:21:15 AM »
I’m two rum and ciders in…and many of you know the personal crap I’m going through.

I just want you all to know that I find the “chatter of the room” comforting. Even if I find it difficult to participate.

I thank you all.

I apologize if I seem dramatic. I’m just a couple of rum and ciders in, and I want all of you to know how I feel about all of you.

#itsawonderfullife
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #546 on: January 04, 2023, 05:58:28 AM »
I’m two rum and ciders in…and many of you know the personal crap I’m going through.

I just want you all to know that I find the “chatter of the room” comforting. Even if I find it difficult to participate.

I thank you all.

I apologize if I seem dramatic. I’m just a couple of rum and ciders in, and I want all of you to know how I feel about all of you.

#itsawonderfullife

Hang in there, man.  :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Led Zeppelin Top 40 Countdown Thread!! (#s 06 & 05 featured!!)
« Reply #547 on: January 04, 2023, 06:02:26 AM »
We continue to move closer to the top...

06 No Quarter
Highest Finish: 1 (LudwigVan)
7 Top 10 Finishes

This is another that wouldn't have rated nearly this high for me for a long time, but over the years has really grown on me. I think I initially wasn't a fan of Plant's hushed vocals, but I dig them now.  I ranked this 6th, so this is another where I nailed the final spot.  The middle section of this song is for the ages.

05 When the Levee Breaks
Appeared on 17 of 21 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (Dave_Manchester)
7 Top 10 Finishes

This is one I thought had a legit chance to finish at number 1, so I was a bit surprised to see it left off four lists and for it to finish as low as number 5.  I ranked it 3rd.  When discussing what is the greatest drum performance in a rock song ever, this is in the conversation.  John Bonham is  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy in this one.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 07:15:04 AM by KevShmev »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: January 04, 2023, 06:57:25 AM »
I am astonished When the Levee Breaks finished that high. What have I been missing all these years?! I shall go and re-listen in a moment, if only to break up this Porcupine Tree top 50 prep 😬

Edit: okay, just listened again. It didn't make my top 40 because it's a bit... boring. Sorry. No accounting for taste. But I'm intrigued by Kev's comment about the drumming performance. Can I ask for an insight into what makes it so good, please?

Also, does anyone know what's with the super loud percussion hit around 1m 35s? I only checked the Super Deluxe version so not sure if it's present elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 07:12:17 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: January 04, 2023, 06:57:45 AM »
Well, I'm (pleasantly) surprised that No Quarter made it.  Which brings about my bigger shock/surprise that another song I had in my top 15 does not make even the Top 40.  NQ is a great song, and as I said, I often waffle as to whether I prefer this to The Rain Song.  For this list though, Rain Song edged out No Quarter for me - which I ranked 19th.

When the Levee Breaks - not ranked.  It falls just outside of my Top 40, even though I know it should be higher, and is one of their all-time greats.  I've come to appreciate it a lot over the last 30 years, but when I first discovered IV, this was when rap was making a bit of a comeback in popular radio (eg, the mashup of Aerosmith and Run DMC with Walk This Way).  At the time, the drumbeat irked me because it sounded too close to the rap drumbeats of the day (esp The Beastie Boys).  And for that reason, I didn't really like this song at the time.
 Looking/listening back, this is ridiculous of course, but it's an impression that stuck with me for years, and the shadow of that impression still lingers today.  I just couldn't find a spot for it in my Top 40.

05 When the Levee Breaks
Appeared on 17 of 21 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (Dave_Manchester)
7 Top 10 Finishes

This is one I thought had a legit chance to finish at number 1, so I was a bit surprised to see it left off three lists and for it to finish as low as number 5.  I ranked it 3rd.  When discussing what is the greatest drum performance in a rock song ever, this is in the conversation.  John Bonham is  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy in this one.

:huh:  Math: Do you even?   :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #550 on: January 04, 2023, 07:16:41 AM »
Damn it.

I am astonished When the Levee Breaks finished that high. What have I been missing all these years?! I shall go and re-listen in a moment, if only to break up this Porcupine Tree top 50 prep 😬

Edit: okay, just listened again. It didn't make my top 40 because it's a bit... boring. Sorry. No accounting for taste. But I'm intrigued by Kev's comment about the drumming performance. Can I ask for an insight into what makes it so good, please?

Listen to Bonham's bass drum work.  He had a single bass drum, not a double like most would do to play something like that.

Online HOF

« Reply #551 on: January 04, 2023, 07:36:55 AM »
No Quarter I just heard yesterday for the first time while checking out Houses of the Holy. What a unique and cool song! Surprised it finished this high just because it’s pretty out there. The vocal affect, fuzzy guitars, and overall tone kind of remind me of Radiohead’s Kid A album. I knew Zeppelin were creative but didn’t know they had done anything this experimental. I dig it.

When The Levee Breaks is one I’ve never liked, though I can appreciate that it is kind of Bonham’s trademark groove and I do like me some *harmonica from time to time. Just not a lot going on melodically that appeals to me here.

*don’t know why I said accordion initially.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:37:27 AM by HOF »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #552 on: January 04, 2023, 07:58:06 AM »

When the Levee Breaks - not ranked.  It falls just outside of my Top 40, even though I know it should be higher, and is one of their all-time greats.  I've come to appreciate it a lot over the last 30 years, but when I first discovered IV, this was when rap was making a bit of a comeback in popular radio (eg, the mashup of Aerosmith and Run DMC with Walk This Way).  At the time, the drumbeat irked me because it sounded too close to the rap drumbeats of the day (esp The Beastie Boys).  And for that reason, I didn't really like this song at the time.
 Looking/listening back, this is ridiculous of course, but it's an impression that stuck with me for years, and the shadow of that impression still lingers today.  I just couldn't find a spot for it in my Top 40.

Well, the "ridiculous" (I don't think so, just using your word) part of it is that all those things are 15 years following what Bonham (and Page, since he had a large part in the SOUND of Zeppelin) did with an entirely different intent.  I think it just goes to show how powerful and revolutionary Bonham really was.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: January 04, 2023, 08:01:18 AM »
No Quarter I just heard yesterday for the first time while checking out Houses of the Holy. What a unique and cool song! Surprised it finished this high just because it’s pretty out there. The vocal affect, fuzzy guitars, and overall tone kind of remind me of Radiohead’s Kid A album. I knew Zeppelin were creative but didn’t know they had done anything this experimental. I dig it.

When The Levee Breaks is one I’ve never liked, though I can appreciate that it is kind of Bonham’s trademark groove and I do like me some accordion from time to time. Just not a lot going on melodically that appeals to me here.

How you hurt me. What did I ever do to you?  :) :) :) :)

Comparing Zeppelin with Radiohead......... Radiohead, IMO, can't clean Zeppelin's rest rooms.   

More seriously, if you're into the song, and interested in exploring, check out some of the live versions.  More (and different) than, say, just the extended Dazed And Confused, they really take No Quarter in a cool direction.  Really interesting stuff out there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: January 04, 2023, 08:03:37 AM »
Top 40                                         
40. NO CHANCE OF MAKING THE LIST                                           
39. NCOMTL
38. Nobody's Fault But Mine
37. NCOMTL
36. Babe I'm Going To Leave You
35. Ramble On
34. TBD
33. NCOMTL
32. The Ocean
31. Fool In The Rain
30. NCOMTL
29. In My Time Of Dying
28. In The Evening
27. When The Levee Breaks
26. How Many More Times
25. NCOMTL
24. NCOMTL
23. NCOMTL
22.  Good Times, Bad Times
21. Houses Of The Holy
20. NCOMTL
19. No Quarter
18. NCOMTL
17. TBD
16. Carouselambra
15. What Is And What Should Never Be
14. In The Light
13. NCOMTL
12. TBD
11. Over The Hills And Far Away
10. NCOMTL
9.  Misty Mountain Hop
8.  Hey Hey What Can I Do
7.  The Song Remains The Same
6.  Going To California
5.  The Rain Song
4.  The Rover
3.  The Battle Of Evermore
2.  Ten Years Gone
1.  TBD

Not Rated:
42. Rock And Roll
44. Dancing Days
45. Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)
48. Thank You
51. Heartbreaker
52. All My Love
53. Black Dog
62. Whole Lotta Love
63. Trampled Underfoot
72. Communication Breakdown
74. Dazed And Confused
75. Since I've Been Loving You

This is the confounding thing about Zeppelin; I'm looking at both No Quarter and Levee, and thinking, "I had them WAY too low", but then again, what do I move to move them up?   Two more than I nailed on the final list.  The "TBD"s are what I think remain, the others are my folly.  We'll see!   :)

Offline emtee

« Reply #555 on: January 04, 2023, 08:12:34 AM »
The version of No Quarter from The Song Remains The Same is in my top 5 all time favorite songs by any band. If any of you Zep noobs have not heard it, please go seek it out and put your headphones on.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: January 04, 2023, 08:23:55 AM »
The version of No Quarter from The Song Remains The Same is in my top 5 all time favorite songs by any band. If any of you Zep noobs have not heard it, please go seek it out and put your headphones on.

I feel the same way about the version of Stairway from that album. "Does anybody remember laughter?"

Although my understanding is it's actually culled from a couple of different performances. Can't remember the name of the website but it goes into all that.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: January 04, 2023, 08:43:10 AM »

I feel the same way about the version of Stairway from that album. "Does anybody remember laughter?"

Although my understanding is it's actually culled from a couple of different performances. Can't remember the name of the website but it goes into all that.

It's called "The Garden Tapes".  It's FASCINATING.

Nominally, the live TSRTS was culled from three nights at Madison Square Garden in NYC, in July of 1973 (27th, 28th, and 29th).  But for various reasons - some clear, some not so clear - there are in fact FOUR versions of TSRTS - the original film, the original soundtrack, the remastered expanded soundtrack, and the remastered film. 

I've actually gone through the four of them and there ARE differences.  Some minor, some major, but certainly if you're a completist, it's fun to work through. Some songs are relatively complete performances (if I remember, "Rock and Roll" is largely from one night) but even those have as many as 10 or 12 drop-ins from other nights, especially on the later reissues.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #558 on: January 04, 2023, 08:54:03 AM »
Yup 2 great songs there, No Quarter was #7 and When the Levee Breaks #9. I guess I was the highest ranker of both Black Dog and Dazed and Confused funnily enough. This is my go-to version of Black Dog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbdjjdbvb4s

Online HOF

« Reply #559 on: January 04, 2023, 08:57:37 AM »

When The Levee Breaks is one I’ve never liked, though I can appreciate that it is kind of Bonham’s trademark groove and I do like me some accordion from time to time. Just not a lot going on melodically that appeals to me here.

How you hurt me. What did I ever do to you?  :) :) :) :)

Comparing Zeppelin with Radiohead......... Radiohead, IMO, can't clean Zeppelin's rest rooms.   

More seriously, if you're into the song, and interested in exploring, check out some of the live versions.  More (and different) than, say, just the extended Dazed And Confused, they really take No Quarter in a cool direction.  Really interesting stuff out there.

That’s the reaction I anticipated! But seriously, it does have that sort of feel to me.