Author Topic: Vinyls  (Read 2543 times)

Offline TheRich13

Vinyls
« on: November 26, 2022, 08:58:29 PM »
Back in the 80’s I had over a thousand vinyls ..It was always so awesome to go to my local record store, or department stores like Korvette’s , Klein’s , Alexander’s and TSS to get a new release from one of my favorite bands ..Back then you never new what the album cover art would be before the release, and I was always and still am a big fan of album art ….which has pretty much become a dying art compared to then …Well , I moved to Florida in 2004 and gave away all my vinyls to friends… because I pretty much replaced them all with CD’s and figured I’d probably never listen to them again , why lug ‘em to Florida…Who new they’d make such a big comeback?? So here and now I start a new collection of vinyls, so I have every DT , including a few bootlegs and as much as I love getting them , all the new LNF Vinyl releases … it’s costing a small fortune but it brings back the awesome memories of getting a new vinyl release …!! , also have a couple of the KISS anniversary reissues and some TOOL …
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Re: Vinyls
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 10:43:15 PM »
So then, you collected quite a tressure already. I grew up in the cd-era but my love for vinyl was born in my love for prog also, a couple of years ago. These days I get rid of all my cd’s and only collect vinyl. I got every album Dream Theater released on vinyl and I’ve got all Transatlantic studioalbums. And a few of Pink Floyds finest. But that’s it, I never listen to anything else.

I started to collect the LTF archives but sold those. I can’t stand the poor and miserable artwork. So I stick to the official releases alone.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 01:26:29 PM »
Never gave up on vinyl ;)

Yes it's expensive, and yes it is a pain in the ass to move (so are hardcover books!!)

As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 03:39:02 PM »
Never gave up on vinyl ;)

Yes it's expensive, and yes it is a pain in the ass to move (so are hardcover books!!)

:tup

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 06:12:24 AM »
Now, that is truly a very nice collection. Good to see some Transatlantic there as well... and lucky us, in a few months they'll release their last album on vinyl, The Final Flight. I'll pre-order the blue vinyl, that's for sure.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 02:43:20 PM »
25 years ago, my collection was up to 550 vinyls but I also had the bright idea to sell most of them in a garage sale.  I ended up keeping about a hundred of them.  It was not a very brilliant move especially from a guy who has also collected thousands of stamps and hockey cards and lots of coins of any kinds and countries since I was 12.

So now, I enjoy much more listening to vinyls.  The experience of sitting down, relaxing and getting blown by musics and lyrics is how you get the most of it with vinyls.  Since 10 years, I've been buying from time to time great albums, great rock classics but never bought an album I used to have in the old days.  I can still download songs from these albums.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 04:05:23 PM »
I've just gotten into vinyl over the last few months (but true to my personality I've dove *all the way* in). I'm hoping we start seeing some Dream Theater reissues at some point because I've been sticking to mostly the LNF bootlegs so far.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 01:57:35 PM »
I've just gotten into vinyl over the last few months (but true to my personality I've dove *all the way* in). I'm hoping we start seeing some Dream Theater reissues at some point because I've been sticking to mostly the LNF bootlegs so far.

I may be mistaken, but I think most of the Dream Theater has been released on vinyl. I kind of stopped paying attention to it because I've had questions about how the recordings were sourced and mastered.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 04:53:21 AM »
I may be mistaken, but I think most of the Dream Theater has been released on vinyl. I kind of stopped paying attention to it because I've had questions about how the recordings were sourced and mastered.

They released most of their discography on vinyl, except Live Scenes (New York), Chaos in Motion, Greatest Hit, Live at Luna Park and Breaking the Fourth Wall.

It will be a tremendous gift of they do release these, in the near future.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 09:05:22 AM »

Yeah, I know they're out there, but by and large they aren't in stock at any record stores anywhere, you can only pick them up secondhand (often at a large mark-up).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 12:26:24 PM »

Yeah, I know they're out there, but by and large they aren't in stock at any record stores anywhere, you can only pick them up secondhand (often at a large mark-up).

Check Discogs, each one of them is offered there in mint (sealed) versions.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 11:09:15 AM »
I would say a lot of these will more than likely get reissues at some point. The market for vinyl has grown significantly since the last run of vinyl issues and they go for ridiculous prices online. Probably some colored vinyl editions on the horizon, anniversary edition-type things, etc.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 03:32:59 PM »
Personally I am not into buying really overpriced prog rock/metal releases from the past. A lot of them have seen rereleases recently and I am expecting artists like Dream Theater will eventually get into that as well. Up until recently the Universal Migrator records from Ayreon, Guilt Machine and Lost in the New Real were all fairly expensive. Now you can get proper rereleases of them for a (somewhat) regular price. I assume the other Arjen/Ayreon records will eventually follow suit too (though I already own most as I got in in time).

And add to that that lot of (very limited) vinyl releases of the 00's and 10's were quite shitty collector's stuff with lot's of noise, issues and/or a straight from the CD transfer. Some of the modern (re)releases are much better in this regard, as vinyl has become more of a standard again. Sometimes with their own masters and better cutting etc. Not to say every rerelease or modern release is good, but chances are more care is given these days, which makes sense as it is the main physical medium in a lot of countries.

On a sidenote, my Ayreon Universal Migrator remixes on vinyl got delayed twice because the vinyl pressing plants were at capacity due to high demand. And a Blind Guardian vinyl was on backorder for months because it had to be repressed. In Europe vinyls are really popular right now. In our record stores I sometimes see actual children buying them as well, I feel it has gone well beyond being a nostalgia thing.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 03:38:50 PM by ErHaO »

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2022, 09:55:36 PM »

On a sidenote, my Ayreon Universal Migrator remixes on vinyl got delayed twice because the vinyl pressing plants were at capacity due to high demand.

I just got notice today that mine shipped. It's the LFNA releases that take forever to get to me.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 03:55:38 AM »
Just got this baby, it wasn't cheap nor easy to find, but it was worth every cent!!

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 08:23:55 AM »
Just got this baby, it wasn't cheap nor easy to find, but it was worth every cent!!

The only one I'm missing. Should have ordered it when it came out.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 10:19:37 AM »
I have the lightblue version also. Such a fine one to give a spin, at least once a year.

Offline DanLore

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 11:15:09 AM »

The only one I'm missing. Should have ordered it when it came out.

That makes two of us.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 03:39:30 PM »
I have a great many vinyl, and quite a lot of DT ones, especially with the Lost Not Forgotten series, but ACoS, as well as SC are the two which just seem to evade me. The only SC copies I've ever found for money that wouldn't require me to sell most of my organs are the ones that are missing ITPOE2

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2023, 08:49:25 AM »
Anyone notice that the I&W vinyl is seemingly out of stock everywhere or offered at some absurd price?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2023, 09:11:09 AM »
Anyone notice that the I&W vinyl is seemingly out of stock everywhere or offered at some absurd price?

That's the case for most of their stuff on vinyl besides the latest album.
Photobucket sucks.

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2023, 11:13:35 AM »

Seems like there is demand out there if the prices are so jacked up...odd that there is no production. I am noticing the same thing for other more well known albums. Rust in Peace for example.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2023, 04:03:46 PM »

Seems like there is demand out there if the prices are so jacked up...odd that there is no production. I am noticing the same thing for other more well known albums. Rust in Peace for example.

Yeah, I think there's enough demand that they'll do some re-pressings at some point down the line which is why I haven't pulled the trigger for any of their albums on the secondary market. I am biting the bullet with some other smaller bands where I just can't see them ever doing another pressing so the price will probably keep going up (e.g. Snow live from Morsefest 2016).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2023, 04:41:04 AM »
I've been wondering... the vinyl market has had an extraordiary boost since it was pretty much death in the zero's. But that being the case, how come  Live Scenes from New York, Chaos in Motion, Live in Luna Park and Breaking the Fourth Wall hasn't been released on vinyl to this date. Live Scenes from New York and Chaos in Motion even have cd releases, so that can't be that hard, pressing them on vinyl.

InsideOut Records keeps on pressing those awful looking LNF Archives, but some of their best official released products are still missing.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2023, 06:32:52 AM »
I've been wondering... the vinyl market has had an extraordiary boost since it was pretty much death in the zero's. But that being the case, how come  Live Scenes from New York, Chaos in Motion, Live in Luna Park and Breaking the Fourth Wall hasn't been released on vinyl to this date. Live Scenes from New York and Chaos in Motion even have cd releases, so that can't be that hard, pressing them on vinyl.

Did the have separate CD releases? So far as I can recall only LSFNY was on CD, the others were only available on CD as part of deluxe DVD boxsets. If they'd have been available as stand-alone CD releases, trust me, I'd have bought them.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2023, 02:21:37 PM »

Did the have separate CD releases? So far as I can recall only LSFNY was on CD, the others were only available on CD as part of deluxe DVD boxsets. If they'd have been available as stand-alone CD releases, trust me, I'd have bought them.

As part as the boxset I mean, but it means there's an audio recording to press vinyl from.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2023, 07:30:31 AM »
I was going to say that I would love to see Score on vinyl. Then I found out Score is actually already on vinyl, so I might be trying to pick that up sometime soon. I'm slightly put off by how they would do the transition with SDIOT being split across two sides. Anyone have a copy can say how smooth of a transition it is?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2023, 11:06:13 PM »
I was going to say that I would love to see Score on vinyl. Then I found out Score is actually already on vinyl, so I might be trying to pick that up sometime soon. I'm slightly put off by how they would do the transition with SDIOT being split across two sides. Anyone have a copy can say how smooth of a transition it is?

I'll have to pull this out and listen to that transition. I do remember that the audio between Another Won and Afterlife was altered between sides. Rather than just fade out and back in on the other side, Another Won sort of ended abruptly and then had crowd noise for the fade out. It was really weird and kind of not great.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.