Author Topic: Official MCU film ranking thread--AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 12377 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Official MCU film ranking thread--Rank 'Em All!
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2022, 08:14:00 AM »
Thor 4 is worse. Trust me.

I was referring to Wakanda Forever.

And you and I are back to disagreeing. Mmmm, home sweet home.

I was joking as you were (?) we both know the worst movie of phase 4 is clearly Spiderman : No Way Home, right?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2022, 08:17:49 AM »

I was joking as you were (?) we both know the worst movie of phase 4 is clearly Spiderman : No Way Home, right?

Oh I wasn't joking. I thought Thor 4 was one of the worst MCU movies I've seen. Granted MoM and Eternals aren't much better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2022, 08:32:45 AM »

Oh I wasn't joking. I thought Thor 4 was one of the worst MCU movies I've seen. Granted MoM and Eternals aren't much better.

Eternals is truthfully the one.  But I'd need to see it again, as I saw it on D+ as my expectations were low based on the negativity that it generated.  I remember halfway though  I was really quite enjoying it - but the second half took a plot turn that really soured the film for me.   Thor 4 is in the Solid tier for me - which means there are at least 4 films I like less.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2022, 05:02:51 AM »

Oh god I hope you forgot to put this in green font.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2022, 10:56:14 PM »
The votes are in, they have been tallied, and the countdown is ready to begin!  Stay tuned for #23 early tomorrow.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2022, 12:05:59 AM »
The votes are in, they have been tallied, and the countdown is ready to begin!  Stay tuned for #23 early tomorrow.

Bosk…thank you for doing this
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2022, 01:50:13 AM »

Bosk…thank you for doing this

Yup agree.  Should be fun.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2022, 06:21:02 AM »
 :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2022, 06:35:26 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2022, 07:55:28 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2022, 11:00:46 AM »
Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Coming in at #23 in our phase 1 - phase 3 ranking:  Thor: the Dark World
Highest ranking:  #12 (DreamTeam)
Lowest ranking:  #23 (TheLetterM, hefdaddy42, lonestar, axeman90210)
Interesting stats:  Out of 17 lists, this film finished in the bottom 4 on 13 of them. 

The second film for Thor's solo outings.  Even in the comics, Thor has proven to be a difficult character to work with.  His storylines have been all over the place.  And I think the MCU had similar struggles with him.  He's a great character with some great stories.  But making him fit into the first three phases of the MCU was a challenge, and the results were mixed.  But while this film may not have been upper tier as a standalone, a lot of what happened in it had really big payoffs in the latter half of phase 3.  That said, I understand why it's hard to hold a movie in high esteem in the Marvel canon when its main protagonist is hard to relate to, its main antagonists feel generic, and its secondary antagonist turned hero is probably the best character on screen at this point. 

I also have to say that, while this film stayed in the bottom 5 for the entire time I was getting submissions, it didn't fall below #21 until the last few lists, where it continued to receive low marks, but two films that had been below got boosts from unexpected high rankings. 

Personally, I ranked this one at 20.  Prior to the MCU, superhero movies were hit and miss.  And even the best ones still didn't feel like "great" movies to most viewers.  To me, this film felt more like some of the best of those non-MCU movies.  It was quirky, and the full-on cosmic aspect of it made it different from most of what we had up to this point.  But it also felt like kind of a logical extension of where we were going next after The Avengers.  And by the end of the end-credits scene, we were again starting to feel like we were building to something much bigger than what was going on in just this film.  Despite some beats of the movie feeling a bit off, I really enjoyed it.  And for the first three phases of the MCU, I largely disagree with the Marvel villain critique, and that goes for this film as well--yeah, Malekith and the dark elves may have felt "generic" and one-dimensional, but it was fine and worked in the context of the story. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Official MCU film ranking thread--#23 now up!
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2022, 11:11:11 AM »
Well, obviously I agree wholeheartedly with this first ranking.  :lol

IMO, the least of these, although not a terrible film, all things considered.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2022, 11:24:44 AM »
I had Dark World at 18, and I really think it gets a bad rap. In fact, it has gone up in my rewatch of the MCU, and I feel the movie has aged ridiculously well.  I love the storyline with the Dark Elves, the ether, and Loki’s redemption.

I know that people tend to rate it really low but last place is a bit disappointing. I actually like it better than Ragnarok at this point.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2022, 11:34:05 AM »
21 for me.

I think there are 3 weaker MCU movies in the first 3 phases - and this is the best of those.  It's biggest crime is that's its just a bit bland and forgettable and adds very little to the MCU.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2022, 12:04:49 PM »
First, I'll say that outside of the bottom 3 MCU movies (to be revealed), every movie is at worst, a good movie.

I ranked this at 16. Probably could have moved up a bit more, maybe landed lower on a different day, but overall I think it's a fine movie. I've been on the "I don't get the hate for this movie" train since it came out. I enjoyed it in 2013, and still think it's a good movie. I thought that Malekith was fine as a villain, given the back story it received.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:50:04 PM by Vmadera00 »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2022, 12:31:24 PM »
This was dead last on my list. Just completely forgettable, with the most generic villain of the MCU.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2022, 02:14:42 PM »
My main reasons for having this higher than expected in the rankings is primarily due to Hiddleston, for me definitely his finest performance in the MCU and I really disliked how he became Bro Loki later on. He is perfectly dark, devious, and edgy in TDW. I guess the 2nd reason is I just prefer the movies featuring the main 6 Avengers more than others.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2022, 02:20:22 PM »
First, I'll say that outside of the bottom 3 MCU movies (to be revealed), every movie is at worst, a good movie.

Quoted for truth.  Malekith was such an uninspirational villain, and with all the lore of the Dark Elves in the comics, I think they were largely wasted in this story.  It was one thing for Thor to be foolishly arrogant in the origin movie, but to be so stupidly arrogant in this one trying to destroy the aether was smdh.  Lots of other minor nits I had with this one, but it - despite being not great - is still fairly enjoyable.  #22 for me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Realm

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2022, 03:32:27 PM »
The Dark World - number 21 for me. I have to admit I haven't watched this whole movie for a while so I am judging my ranking on my feelings at the time. But I thought this movie was a major let down and had a very weak villan.

Online Adami

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2022, 03:37:57 PM »
I think people who ranked this at 23 are severely underrating it and being extremely unfair.

I had it at 22.

Honestly, it's a film I mostly enjoy when I'm watching. I don't think the MCU has any bad movies (at least not till phase 4) but this one definitely qualifies as less than good. A lot of it is really enjoyable, especially Loki and the stuff with Friga. Thor is...there....I guess...and doing what the plot calls on him to do. But the villain is just really what drags this down. There's nothing inherently bad about whatever their names are, but there's nothing inherently....anything about them. They are bad guys for the sake of having bad guys. Their motivation is to bring darkness to the universe cause they like it dark? Ugh. Not buying that. At all. Beyond that the actors are playing them with all of the charisma of a dead mop.

So in the end you have some great moments, with some really interesting action, centered around a plot that has no impact on us or invites an investment and villains who don't even try to be memorable or worthy of our concern or interest.

But yea. Not surprised this is so low. Still an enjoyable movie, but really seemed to lose its way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online The Letter M

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2022, 04:06:05 PM »
23. Thor: The Dark World
22. ?
21. ?
20. ?
19. ?
18. ?
17. ?
16. ?
15. ?
14. ?
13. ?
12. ?
11. ?
10. ?
09. ?
08. ?
07. ?
06. ?
05. ?
04. ?
03. ?
02. ?
01. ?

I'm not surprised to see I wasn't the only one who placed TDW last. For me, the film's only redeeming qualities are Loki's arc, the reframing of certain events post-TDW, and the end-credits scene which sets up the Collector nicely. Otherwise, it's another case of "Wasted Potential Villain" and a meandering plot that made Jane a damsel-in-distress. It felt like a victim of the "We need to have an Infinity Stone as the center of a film" scenario more so than films like GOTG Vol. 1 and Doctor Strange 1.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2022, 01:56:41 PM »
#22:  And Man and the Wasp

Highest ranking:  #13 (ZirconBlue)
Lowest ranking:  #23 (jingleboy)
Stats of note:  Finished pretty consistently in the 17-22 range.  But those late votes I mentioned earlier that took another film up a couple of places knocked this one down.

The second Ant Man film, much like the first one, came after a bigger, more action-packed Marvel team-up movie.  Like the first one, it felt like just a fun, lighthearted pallet cleanser...until that post-credits scene telling us just where this fit into the timeline.  The movie was a logical extension of the first film, had a lot of tie-ins, and built up all the characters to the point where the post-credits scene and beginning of Endgame had emotional impact.  To me, this was a great solo effort, and is right up there with the other solo film sequels (and better than some). 

I had this one at #17.  There wasn't really anything I disliked about it or anything that took me out of the moment.  So it's hard for me to see why some ranked it last or second to last, other than other films just being better.  Only thing that was a bit out of place is Janet inexplicably having powers.  But in the context of a make-believe universe where powered people, the quantum realm, the multiverse, and aliens exist, and others have gotten powers in hokey ways, it didn't feel that out of place.  It was fun.  It had sufficient stakes.  And I just enjoyed it.  Not to mention it got me ever more hyped for Endgame.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Official MCU film ranking thread--#22 up!
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2022, 02:04:01 PM »
Pretty on spot so far...

23- Thor 2
22- Ant Man and the Wasp

I should say even at the bottom, I still occasionally visit these films. I just love MCU films as disposable entertainment in general.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2022, 02:20:24 PM »
I had this at # 20.  Good, but not spectacular.

Online Adami

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2022, 02:21:42 PM »
Wow, much lower.

I had it at 18 I think.

Not a perfect movie and sadly a waste of a great actor as the villain, but overall a lot of fun. I think it needed a re-write to be even better but the ideas were all solid and the actors sold the parts well. The action was a lot of fun, the visuals were great, and of course it was charming as hell.

Really enjoyed it but it definitely isn't a the top of my rewatch list cause it did feel a bit empty.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2022, 02:45:15 PM »
#18 for me.

Not a bad movie at all, pretty enjoyable and a good follow up to the first Ant Man. Good acting all around, I just think Ghost was a bit forgettable, just not a good villain. And Walton Goggin's character felt out of place.

Overall, good movie, just needed some more work to be a great movie.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2022, 02:59:39 PM »
Completely unmemorable for me, and I found it incredible that I could care less about a villain than Malekith.  I genuinely have zero recollection about this film.  Ghost was the villain, but I don't remember what or why for.  I also seem to remember them trying just a little too hard with Pena's storytelling cutscene.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2022, 03:03:48 PM »
Ant Man and the Wasp - agree it is a completely forgettable movie but I still didn't think it would rank as low number 22. I had it at 18.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2022, 04:02:48 PM »
20 for me.  Worst of the solid tier, perfectly watchable but also rather forgettable.  And yes ghost was a weak villain, and I never really got the love for Pena's fast cut storytelling.  Also Scott seemed dumbed down for comic effect.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2022, 05:30:50 PM »
22 for me. Literally the most forgettable Marvel movie, I couldn't tell you a single thing about it besides the post-credits scene without looking it up on wiki first.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2022, 05:52:00 PM »
You all have hurt me deeply.  (I mean, even more than Jingle does on a regular basis)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2022, 06:31:49 PM »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2022, 07:26:07 PM »
#22:  And Man and the Wasp

Highest ranking:  #13 (ZirconBlue)
Lowest ranking:  #23 (jingleboy)
Stats of note:  Finished pretty consistently in the 17-22 range.  But those late votes I mentioned earlier that took another film up a couple of places knocked this one down.

23. Thor: The Dark World
22. ?
21. ?
20. ?
19. Ant-Man And The Wasp
18. ?
17. ?
16. ?
15. ?
14. ?
13. ?
12. ?
11. ?
10. ?
09. ?
08. ?
07. ?
06. ?
05. ?
04. ?
03. ?
02. ?
01. ?

And Man... I don't think it was THAT bad. Definitely a lower-tier MCU film for sure, but like it's fellow 2nd-film Thor: The Dark World, I think it'll benefit from some reframing and future stories that'll expand upon things that were set-up in that film, like the return of Ghost in Thunderbolts, or who Sonny Birch's mysterious buyer was. Either way, it did feel like they were trying to cram a lot into a sequel for a film that already had a stacked ensemble cast. It seems like Ant-Man is following in the steps of Thor in terms of his trilogy - decent-to-good origin film, a middling sequel, and a third film that most folks (will) love.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2022, 07:31:54 PM »
And then a fourth that is an absolute steaming pile of shyte?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2022, 12:14:59 AM »
I will say any man and wasp was one of the hardest movies to know where to place.