Author Topic: Official MCU film ranking thread--AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 12403 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official MCU film ranking thread--#8
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2022, 03:31:59 PM »
I had this one at #6.  I think Bosk's writeup is spot on.  This was about as perfect as we could want/hope for to bring Spidey into the MCU.  Very smart NOT to make it an origin story*, and Keaton is definitely Top 3 MCU villain.  It's really hard to call Loki a villain, as his only *fully* villainous role was in Thor, and every appearance by Loki after that was A) more anti-hero, and B) a better performance by Tom.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2022, 04:01:30 PM »
I’d say Loki was full on Villain in Avengers  :lol
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2022, 05:21:50 PM »
23- Thor 2
22- Ant Man and the Wasp
21- Captain Marvel
20-
19- The Incredible Hulk
18- Guardians of the Galaxy 2
17- Iron Man 3
16- Dr. Strange
15- Iron Man 2
14- Thor
13- Black Panther
12- Spiderman- Far From Home
11- Captain America- First Avenger
10- Avengers- Age of Ultron
9- Ant Man
8-
7-
6- Spiderman- Homecoming
5-
4- Guardians of the Galaxy
3-
2-
1-

Guardians was MCU humor done right, tempered with the film without being overbearing or stupid. First propere introduction of the infinity stones as well as Thanos himself. Great arc for Peter, and really set the groundwork for Yondu's arc in Pt 2. Loved everything about this film.

Spiderman was just wonderful, managed to keep that 'neighborhood Spiderman' vibe while still melding with the MCU at large. And agree with everyone, Keaton is just amazing as a villain.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2023, 06:42:33 AM »

True.  I don't know what I was thinking...  :facepalm:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2023, 08:45:34 AM »

You disgust me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2023, 08:54:26 AM »

You disgust me.

Not to worry... I got enough of that all on my own!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2023, 07:06:21 PM »
Oh man, a lot of catch-up for me to do.

Spider Man: Far From Home- 11 for me. Very enjoyable, Jake Gyllenhaal was a solid Mysterio and it gave a good first look at life after Endgame. I also loved them bringing back JK Simmons as editor of the Daily Bugle

Dr. Strange- Came in at 9. A very good intro movie for a new hero. Perfect casting for the title character and some cool visualizations of magic at work. Mads Mikkelsen was his usual great self, and if the writing for Kaecilius had been better he'd probably be in the top tier of MCU villains.

Captain America: The First Avenger- I had this at 14, which feels a touch low in retrospect. No complaints from me about any aspect of it, and the WWII setting helps differentiate it a little bit from most of the rest of the MCU.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2023, 02:01:57 PM »
Black Panther- I rated this the highest at #5. This has so much going for it. Chadwick Boseman is of course iconic as Prince T'Challa, and Killmonger is a combination of being well written/motivated and Michael B Jordan crushing it in the role. Top tier MCU villain. The supporting cast is also great, strong debuts for Shuri and Okoye, who I've enjoyed following in subsequent MCU appearances, Martin Freeman's agent Ross has been a good way to connect happenings in Wakanda to the wider world, and Angela Bassett and Forest Whitaker brought gravitas to their respective minor turns.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2023, 06:38:59 AM »
A lot to catch up on:

23: The Incredible Hulk
22: Thor
21: Black Panther
20: Captain Marvel
19: Iron Man 2
18: Ant Man and the Wasp
17: Captain America - First Avenger
16: Thor: The Dark World
15: Iron Man 3
14: Spiderman - Homecoming
13:
12: Guardians of the Galaxy 2
11: Ant Man
10: Spider Man: Far from Home
9: Doctor Strange
8: Guardians of the Galaxy
7:
6: Avengers: Age of Ultron
5:
4:
3:
2:
1:

Black Panther: Yes, I find this movie massively overrated. I could probably move it up a few spots, but I think at best, it would move to 18.

Homecoming: Fun movie and good first solo Spiderman. Good character development and story.

Guardians: Not much to say about this. Marvel took some characters most people did not know and did a great job in portraying them. Great movie.

Age of Ultron: Given how much hate this movie gets, I was expecting it to end at the bottom half/third. Surprised to see it in the top 10. I love this movie. The story is great, Ultron is a great villain here.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2023, 06:39:45 PM »
Hope we get to number seven soon! I've been waiting since last year!  ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2023, 04:44:11 AM »
Avengers: Age of Ultron- I had this at 17. Not bad, but the least impressive of the team-up movies. James Spader's voice work as Ultron is a highlight, but the villain is disappointingly written.

Guardians of the Galaxy- #8 on my list. I feel like this was the first movie that was a big risk in the MCU as the Guardians were much less well known than the other heroes featured to that point. I had no idea what to expect going in. James Gunn and co knocked it out of the park though. Well cast and with  a fun, irreverent tone that the MCU hadn't seen much yet. And the soundtrack is great too.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2023, 06:16:16 AM »
#7:  Thor:  Ragnarok
Highest rank:  #1 (Joe, DarkChestofWonders)
Lowest rank:  #23 (jammindude)

This one generally scored high.  But even aside from the last place finish, there were a couple of other very low scores.

Many felt that this is where Marvel started to get the character of Thor right after mishandling him and having him go down a path that was hard to care about.  The lighter side of Thor was good, and mixed well with the serious side.  We also got to see Loki again and got some great new characters.

This movie had a lot going for it.  It has some really iconic sequences.  It made even a lot of skeptics fanboy out.  And yet, some things seemed off at times.  The humor mixed with the dark tones of the imminent destruction of Asgard didn't quite jibe at times.  Hela was ridiculously overpowered...except when she wasn't.  The scale of Asgard was off.   I mean, it was cool...but where was the rest of it?  I had this at #10.  Overall, I really liked it.  But there were flaws that kept it lower than I wanted it to be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Official MCU film ranking thread--#7...
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2023, 06:23:37 AM »
13:
7:
5:
4: Thor: Ragnarok
3:
2:
1:

#4 for me, this was just a great movie. I had it at #3 at one point, but put it down because there are some things in the movie that felt...random and out of place. Love the treatment for Thor in this movie.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2023, 06:33:57 AM »
23- Thor 2
22- Ant Man and the Wasp
21- Captain Marvel
20- Thor - Ragnorok
19- The Incredible Hulk
17- Iron Man 3
16- Dr. Strange
15- Iron Man 2
14- Thor
13- Black Panther
9- Ant Man
8-
7-
6- Spiderman- Homecoming
5-
3-
2-
1-

Love and Thunder would've never been the absolute train wreck it was if it wasn't for Ragnorok. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but it's just not a runaway hit for me. As I said earlier pretty much every MCU flick is entertaining, but I'd consider Ragnorok very low on my re-watch list.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2023, 07:08:09 AM »
I didn't mind the humour of it, as that was largely left on Sakaar - though I wasn't a big fan of making Korg a doofus sidekick - in the comics, he was Hulk's #1 guy, and largely a commander of their army.  I agree that the scale of Asgard was a miss.  But other than that, there was a lot more to like about this movie than to dislike.  The Hulk v Thor battle was terrific; the continuation of Loki's arc was good; the rise of "King Thor" worked out well, and they made all the right connections into Infinity War.  Oh, and Cate Blanchett was marvellous - both acting, and on the eyes.

#7 for me, so I'm spot on with the group (or is it the group that is spot on with me??  hhmmmm...  :lol)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2023, 07:55:44 AM »
#7:  Thor:  Ragnarok
Highest rank:  #1 (Joe, DarkChestofWonders)
Lowest rank:  #23 (jammindude)

23. Thor: The Dark World
22. The Incredible Hulk
21. Thor
20. Iron Man 3
19. Ant-Man And The Wasp
18. Captain Marvel
17. Iron Man 2
16. Ant-Man
15. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 1
14. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
13. Avengers: Age Of Ultron
12. Doctor Strange
11. Spider-Man: Far From Home
10. Spider-Man: Homecoming
09. Black Panther
08. Captain America: The First Avenger
07. ?
06. Thor: Ragnarok
05. ?
04. ?
03. ?
02. ?
01. ?

I had Ragnarok at sixth place, so pretty close here. It almost makes my Top 5 of the Infinity Saga, but not quite there. It's definitely in my S-Tier of MCU films, sitting at the bottom of that tier, with seven other films (five from the Infinity Saga, two from the Multiverse Saga/Phase Four). It's really enjoyable and probably one of the best blends of comedy, action, tension, and a villain that wasn't completely wasted at the time. 2017/2018 were great years for MCU Villains, between Killmonger, Vulture, and Hela (and of course, Thanos in Infinity War). Great film, easily re-watchable, never fails to entertain!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2023, 07:59:48 AM »
23. Captain Marvel
22. Thor: The Dark World
21. Iron Man 3
20. Iron Man 2
19. Doctor Strange
18. Ant Man and The Wasp
17. The Incredible Hulk
16. Thor
15. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
14. Captain America: The First Avenger
13. Ant Man
12. Guardians of the Galaxy
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron
10. Spider Man: Far From Home
9. Thor: Ragnarok
8. Spider Man: Homecoming
7. Black Panther
6. ??
5. ??
4. ??
3. ??
2. ??
1. ??

Had this one at 9. It's a good fun movie. Humor goes a bit too far and there it Hela was a bit of a toss away, sadly, but the Loki/Thor arc was great, I actually did like Kor, and most of the humor really worked for me. Sad that the follow up would be near the bottom of my list.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2023, 03:58:18 PM »
Having not seen all of the movies I opted not to participate but Ragnarok is my number one of the ones I've seen with the first Guardians as number two, both well above the rest. Being originally uninterested in the typical comic booky type superhero movies Guardians got me interested in Marvel due to its style and by the time I got around to Ragnarok that style mixed with the superhero fanfare melded so well together that it hit the sweet spot.

I should get around to finishing the movies as I was watching them in order but some of the last movies weren't available for streaming so I gave up. I think I'm really only missing Far From Home, Infinity War, and Endgame at this point.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2023, 04:28:01 PM »
Having not seen all of the movies I opted not to participate but Ragnarok is my number one of the ones I've seen with the first Guardians as number two, both well above the rest. Being originally uninterested in the typical comic booky type superhero movies Guardians got me interested in Marvel due to its style and by the time I got around to Ragnarok that style mixed with the superhero fanfare melded so well together that it hit the sweet spot.

I should get around to finishing the movies as I was watching them in order but some of the last movies weren't available for streaming so I gave up. I think I'm really only missing Far From Home, Infinity War, and Endgame at this point.

So, basically, a REALLY good one, and the best them?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2023, 05:43:19 PM »
 :lol yeah pretty much

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2023, 08:52:58 PM »
#6:  Iron Man
Highest rank:  #3 (faizoff)
Lowest rank:  #15 (MetalJunkie, ZirconBlue)

What could be more metal than Iron Man at #6?  The O.G. MCU film.  If you like the MCU, you like this film.  It set a tone that carried through to Endgame.  It showed us that a super hero film could be so much more than just blockbuster action.  And it promised something much bigger that Marvel Studios delivered on over and over and over, and so much bigger than we could have imagined.  It would have been a special film if the MCU ended with The Avengers.  It is even better in retrospect in the context of the entire Infinity Saga. 

I had this at #8.  This is my second highest ranking solo (non-ensemble) film behind Homecoming (or third if you count Civil War as a solo film; even though it was a "Captain America" film, it felt like an "Avengers" film because everybody up to that point, other than the Guardians, was in it). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2023, 08:59:39 PM »
#6:  Iron Man
Highest rank:  #3 (faizoff)
Lowest rank:  #15 (MetalJunkie, ZirconBlue)

23. Thor: The Dark World
22. The Incredible Hulk
21. Thor
20. Iron Man 3
19. Ant-Man And The Wasp
18. Captain Marvel
17. Iron Man 2
16. Ant-Man
15. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 1
14. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
13. Avengers: Age Of Ultron
12. Doctor Strange
11. Spider-Man: Far From Home
10. Spider-Man: Homecoming
09. Black Panther
08. Captain America: The First Avenger
07. Iron Man
06. Thor: Ragnarok
05. ?
04. ?
03. ?
02. ?
01. ?

Iron Man sits at 7th for me, and is easily the best film in the Iron Man franchise. What a way to kick off the MCU, with all the doubts and risks that surrounded it. Wild to think that it came out the same summer as The Dark Knight (and fellow MCU film The Incredible Hulk). I will never be tired or bored of this film, and I'm pretty sure that whenever it was on TV (back when I had cable), if it was on I would keep it on. It's just so rewatchable! It's not perfect but it's minor flaws are outshined by everything else good about the film.

Also, two entries in one day? You spoil us! I'm excited to see how the final five land in comparison with my top five!

-Marc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Official MCU film ranking thread--6 is the most metal
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2023, 09:17:02 PM »
23- Thor 2
22- Ant Man and the Wasp
21- Captain Marvel
20- Thor - Ragnorok
19- The Incredible Hulk
17- Iron Man 3
16- Dr. Strange
15- Iron Man 2
14- Thor
13- Black Panther
9- Ant Man
8-
7-
6- Spiderman- Homecoming
5- Iron Man
3-
2-
1-

The respect I have for what they did in this film is pretty endless. The alpha and omega of the MCU, and such a great start it was. RJD crushed the role from the first moment, a smooth plot, and a solid villain all melded together into a solid promise of what was to come. I wonder if any of them in the beginning had even an inkling of how damn big this thing would get.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2023, 04:32:51 AM »
#9 on my list.  I can't argue or disagree with anything already mentioned.  The redemption arc for Tony - as well as RJD - was simply perfect.  The opening sequence was fantastic, and the build up to the point where he dons the armour in full colour was amazing.  That moment of seeing IM come to life stlll gives me goosebumps.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2023, 06:04:55 AM »
#9 on my list.  I can't argue or disagree with anything already mentioned.  The redemption arc for Tony - as well as RJD - was simply perfect.  The opening sequence was fantastic, and the build up to the point where he dons the armour in full colour was amazing.  That moment of seeing IM come to life stlll gives me goosebumps.

Is that Robert Junior Downey, or Robert Jowney Dunior? ;)

-Marc.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2023, 06:07:59 AM »
Amazing start for the franchise, my only nit-pick is Stane being able to use the armor perfectly without any test runs or anything. Especially because he's not a genius like Tony. Other than that, Downey is the #1 reason the MCU was able to take off and thrive. Redemption for his real-life story as well.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2023, 06:19:24 AM »
13: Iron Man
7:
5:
4: Thor: Ragnarok
3:
2:
1:

#13 for me. Great film, and I respect everything this movie did. On a good day, it creeps onto the top 10. This was the second time came out of a movie impressed with how great the casting was,  first time being Hugh Jackman in X-men.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2023, 06:45:30 AM »

Is that Robert Junior Downey, or Robert Jowney Dunior? ;)

-Marc.

I'm so used to those three letters being in that order for Ronnie James Dio.  Muscle memory.

No offense, RJ  ;)

Online Adami

« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2023, 06:50:20 AM »
I assumed it was RJ DAMMIT!

23. Captain Marvel
22. Thor: The Dark World
21. Iron Man 3
20. Iron Man 2
19. Doctor Strange
18. Ant Man and The Wasp
17. The Incredible Hulk
16. Thor
15. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
14. Captain America: The First Avenger
13. Ant Man
12. Guardians of the Galaxy
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron
10. Spider Man: Far From Home
9. Thor: Ragnarok
8. Spider Man: Homecoming
7. Black Panther
6. Iron Man
5. ??
4. ??
3. ??
2. ??
1. ??

Matched with DTF on this one, having it at number 6. This was a movie that DID what a bunch of lesser movies feel like they did; write it as they go, make it up, improvise, change course with the wind. Yet somehow this movie pulled it off. Not enough great things to say about this and there's a reason it was such a game changer and it wasn't just Fury showing up at the end. It was just very clever and well done and the CGI is actually more impressive than some of Marvel's modern CGI.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2023, 07:16:55 AM »
5. ??
4. ??
3. ??
2. ??
1. ??

I wonder how many of the lists had the same top five as me, and apparently, the final countdown/ranking. We all know which films these are, but I'm curious who else had all five as their top five (in any order).

-Marc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2023, 07:34:37 AM »
5. ??
4. ??
3. ??
2. ??
1. ??

I wonder how many of the lists had the same top five as me, and apparently, the final countdown/ranking. We all know which films these are, but I'm curious who else had all five as their top five (in any order).

-Marc.

Online Adami

« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2023, 07:39:46 AM »
The thing is, the top 5, which is also mine and other people's top 5, is not at all controversial. While some people may have their favorites outside of it, the top 5 are insanely well regarded and are a pretty obvious top 5. Curious about the order though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2023, 08:53:55 AM »
Of the 5 remaining they are all in my top 6 - I have Guardians of the Galaxy at 5.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:39:00 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »
No spotlighting!

Online Adami

« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2023, 09:39:29 AM »
My guess for the top 5 in order are

5. Aquaman
4. Shazam!
3. Wonder Woman
2. The Suicide Squad
1. Zack Snyder's Justice League

But that's just my guess and not necessarily my top 5 MCU fulms.
fanticide.bandcamp.com