Author Topic: The album(s) you always return to  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: The album(s) you always return to
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2022, 03:10:36 PM »
Nils Frahm - Spaces. One of my favorite live records ever.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2022, 05:43:09 PM »
That all said, Type-O Negative's October Rust has been an annual revisit for me for at least the past twenty years. There is something about the dog-days of Winter that just has me reaching for that album.

That has an argument for the album I've been listening to somewhat regularly for the longest.  Or at least something from it.  An instrumental version of "Haunted" was included on the redbook OST for the video game Descent II, so I listened to it a ton back then.  It planted the seed for me getting into metal, and probably influenced the direction my taste eventually headed, getting into a lot of slower and more atmospheric music, especially in the past decade to decade and a half.

Man, you see literally the ONLY other person I know who knows what Descent (1 and 2) is... spent sooooo many hours playing that game, and I too loved the music.

You guys are showing your age now. Carry on.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2022, 06:18:32 PM »
That all said, Type-O Negative's October Rust has been an annual revisit for me for at least the past twenty years. There is something about the dog-days of Winter that just has me reaching for that album.

That has an argument for the album I've been listening to somewhat regularly for the longest.  Or at least something from it.  An instrumental version of "Haunted" was included on the redbook OST for the video game Descent II, so I listened to it a ton back then.  It planted the seed for me getting into metal, and probably influenced the direction my taste eventually headed, getting into a lot of slower and more atmospheric music, especially in the past decade to decade and a half.

Man, you see literally the ONLY other person I know who knows what Descent (1 and 2) is... spent sooooo many hours playing that game, and I too loved the music.

Make that three! And yes, the Descent II soundtrack was the first time I heard of Type O Negative as well. :biggrin:

You guys are showing your age now. Carry on.

I mean I'm only 27 and I played those games, what does that say about you? ;)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2022, 07:10:18 PM »

Make that three! And yes, the Descent II soundtrack was the first time I heard of Type O Negative as well. :biggrin:
Man, I haven't played Descent II (let alone the original) in many years. Probably 25 years. Although my favorite was Descent III, then of course there was Freespace I and II. Those were some of the best years for gaming, '95 to '01.

Although I completely forgot Type O Negative was on the Descent II soundtrack.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2022, 07:26:05 PM »
Saw Type O Negative in I believe Sept In 95 Boston.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2022, 09:27:45 PM »

Man, I haven't played Descent II (let alone the original) in many years. Probably 25 years. Although my favorite was Descent III, then of course there was Freespace I and II. Those were some of the best years for gaming, '95 to '01.

Although I completely forgot Type O Negative was on the Descent II soundtrack.

I never really considered myself a gamer, but the ones I played I tended to be obsessed with, the Descent series more than any other.  I played Descent III online more hours than should be humanly possible in the early 00s.  The first two were better single player experiences though, and had better music.  The redbook OST for the second is probably responsible for my interest in doom and gothic metal from Type O, and electro-industrial, industrial rock, or just electronic music in general, and to some extent film scores from the other tracks on it.  It's probably not an exaggeration to call it one of the most significant "albums" for my taste. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2022, 10:18:08 PM »
I used to play Defender, Missile Command, and Pitfall on my Atari while listening to Sabbath and Kiss on my turntable.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:29:42 PM by Glasser »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2022, 12:30:19 AM »
I used to play Defender, Missile Command, and Pitfall on my Atari while listening to Sabbath and Kiss on my turntable.

My earliest gaming memories are playing Bombjack, Bubble Bobble and Space Harrier on my brothers Atari ST! The soundtrack back then was stuff like Ride the Lightning, Reign in Blood and Altars of Madness. I had no clue about any of the stuff my brother was spinning back then but it was all infiltrating my heart, body and soul  :heart

@buddy, to answer your question, I'm old is what it says about me. I'm becoming at peace with that. The fact you were barely born when Descent II came out doesn't really help  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2022, 05:54:16 AM »
Anathema - Weather Systems

I’ve seen this album mentioned many times on here lately, guess I should give it a listen.

It’s a certified DTF classic. And I remember when it came out and people were calling it a worse version of their previous album. :biggrin:

It still is as far as I'm concerned. Weather Systems is a great album but none of the songs on it reach the levels of Thin Air/A Simple Mistake/Universal imo. Still a great album, not in Anathema's top3 but maybe top5.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2022, 06:09:03 AM »

Glasser, I am curious about your age. Of course, you are under no obligation to answer, but sometimes I read your posts (such as the megadeth thread) and you sound like your my age (42), and other times I think your about 15 years older.

Unless there’s two Glassers on this board, which is always a possibility.

That all said, I totally played my older sisters Atari while listening to my parents vinyl collection, so maybe we’re both just old souls!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2022, 06:11:37 AM »
There can only be one Glasser. The world could not handle more than that.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2022, 06:11:40 AM »

Glasser, I am curious about your age. Of course, you are under no obligation to answer, but sometimes I read your posts (such as the megadeth thread) and you sound like your my age (42), and other times I think your about 15 years older.

That all said, I totally played my older sisters Atari while listening to my parents vinyl collection, so maybe we’re both just old souls!

Just realized that Glasser and Grappler are not the same person… :mehlin

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2022, 10:37:05 AM »

My earliest gaming memories are playing Bombjack, Bubble Bobble and Space Harrier on my brothers Atari ST! The soundtrack back then was stuff like Ride the Lightning, Reign in Blood and Altars of Madness. I had no clue about any of the stuff my brother was spinning back then but it was all infiltrating my heart, body and soul  :heart

@buddy, to answer your question, I'm old is what it says about me. I'm becoming at peace with that. The fact you were barely born when Descent II came out doesn't really help  :lol

My parents wouldn't buy me a NES/SNES when I was younger, but they did get me a Game Boy, plus I had computer games, and I think my grandfather bought an old Atari at a thrift store, so I have some fond memories of playing some games on that. 

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2022, 01:30:54 PM »
Dire Straits- any of the first 4.

Fantastic run of albums.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2022, 01:45:57 PM »
There can only be one Glasser. The world could not handle more than that.

Truth.  :laugh:

Offline Glasser

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2022, 01:50:18 PM »

I’m 52. :)