Author Topic: Psychedelic Rock  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Harmony

Psychedelic Rock
« on: November 12, 2022, 12:19:16 PM »
I wanted to start a thread to discuss psychedelia music old and new.  I love the classics - Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Beatles, Doors, Hendrix, Dead, Floyd - but I'm wanting to add some new gems to my library.  So talk about albums or individual songs - anything goes.  Personally, I tend to lean more toward psychedelic jazz, folk, or blues.  I was recently turned on to a Danish band called Causa Sui and have been really digging their album Szabodelico, specifically the song La Jolla.  It is like instant relaxation for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OT0ANqieRw

Another great album that not many seem to know about is Jonathan Wilson's first release, Gentle Spirit.  But then again, maybe that's more stoner than psychedelia rock.  It is hard to know where that line is.... :P
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Psychedelic Rock
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 12:28:10 PM »
Check this beauty, if you aren't already familiar.

https://youtu.be/Zek3a86L-Vc

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 12:41:13 PM »
Check this beauty, if you aren't already familiar.

https://youtu.be/Zek3a86L-Vc

I've heard of them but I've not heard this track.  I like it a lot.  Sitar for the win!  I will check out more.  Thx!!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 12:49:00 PM »
I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Music that seems to be almost purely Psych or even Space Rock like something like Hawkwind or Ozric Tentacles.

Or bands that are including a lot of other cool elements with Psychedelic Rock, which by some people's definition, is really another form of progressive rock.

Some names that come to mind among my favorites:

Apes & Androids
Pepe Deluxe
Eldren
Archive
Pure Reason Revolution

(some others might suggest bands like Tame Impala, Animal Collective and The Flaming Lips which, may be worth checking out, but I personally don't really care for).

Edit: this list of "Neo-Psychedelia" might be worth checking out. Stuff like Ween, Stereolab and even say XTC are in there (who I totally would recommend if you don't know them)
https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time/g:neo-psychedelia/
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 01:15:57 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 01:20:28 PM »
The whole psych/neo-psychedelia scene is an origin of or adjacent to other stuff I like, but they're movements I haven't spent that much time exploring.  Here are what RYM says are some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned.

The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre - psych rock
Dool - Summerland - psych rock
Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill - psych folk
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love, and Electric Ladyland - psych rock
Jess and the Ancient Ones - Vertigo, Astral Sabbat, The Horse and Other Weird Tales, and s/t - psych rock/heavy psych
Master's Apprentices - A Toast to Panama Red - heavy psych
Marissa Nadler - The Path of the Clouds and The Wrath of the Clouds - psych folk
Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come - heavy psych
Tiamat - A Deeper Kind of Slumber - psych rock
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 08:25:49 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 08:21:24 PM »
The two psychedelic albums XTC did under the Duke of Stratosphear name in the latter 80s - 25 O'Clock and Psonic Psunsport - are both excellent.  I cannot recommend them enough.  They somehow managed to channel that late 60s vibe with both the writing and the production.  Amazing stuff.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 09:25:35 PM »
I’m not sure if The Clientele fit the psychadelic label or not, but they have a strong influence from some of those 60s bands. Really a wonderful band regardless of what you call it.

A couple examples:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=INb5icjQjaE&list=OLAK5uy_ljrcY2qmDkg8fXJ5jEGHlpEZ6UbjcG7Z0&index=1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EmkD_L3LiwY

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 09:33:28 PM by HOF »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 08:10:26 AM »
You already mentioned The Dead, but I'll offer it for anyone else reading:  Anthem Of The Sun, by the Grateful Dead.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 08:20:45 AM »
I wanted to start a thread to discuss psychedelia music old and new.  I love the classics - Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Beatles, Doors, Hendrix, Dead, Floyd - but I'm wanting to add some new gems to my library.  So talk about albums or individual songs - anything goes.  Personally, I tend to lean more toward psychedelic jazz, folk, or blues.  I was recently turned on to a Danish band called Causa Sui and have been really digging their album Szabodelico, specifically the song La Jolla.  It is like instant relaxation for me.

Another great album that not many seem to know about is Jonathan Wilson's first release, Gentle Spirit.  But then again, maybe that's more stoner than psychedelia rock.  It is hard to know where that line is.... :P
No idea if it qualifies as psychedelic rock, but since a friend described one of theirs as the best album to listen to when tripping on mushrooms (and it is a real winner  :tup), I'll nominate Golden Earring. The single best band Americans flatly ignored. Their tendency to start off every song as a hard rocker and switch gears into moody and atmospheric jams is fantastic. Check out the US release of Moontan (the UK release sucks), or maybe Seven Tears.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emtee

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 09:03:26 AM »
Strong recommendation for RPWL. They started out as a Floyd cover band but blossomed into their own thing. There is certainly Floydian roots there but lots to explore. They are a German band but use English on all their albums. I would start with World Through My Eyes and move through the discography. Also they have a great double live album called Start The Fire.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 09:32:08 AM »

No idea if it qualifies as psychedelic rock, but since a friend described one of theirs as the best album to listen to when tripping on mushrooms (and it is a real winner  :tup), I'll nominate Golden Earring. The single best band Americans flatly ignored. Their tendency to start off every song as a hard rocker and switch gears into moody and atmospheric jams is fantastic. Check out the US release of Moontan (the UK release sucks), or maybe Seven Tears.

Good call; Iron Maiden did a great cover of "Kill Me, Ce Soir" (though, as much as I love Maiden, it lost a little of the uniqueness of the original).   I'm a fan of "She Flies On Strange Wings".  I have a good compilation by them - "The Continuing Story...." or something like that.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 10:56:46 AM »
I'll nominate Golden Earring. The single best band Americans flatly ignored. Their tendency to start off every song as a hard rocker and switch gears into moody and atmospheric jams is fantastic. Check out the US release of Moontan (the UK release sucks), or maybe Seven Tears.

They definitely know how to do atmosphere in the Netherlands.  I've casually liked what I've heard from Golden Earring, I should put on something of theirs soon. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 09:28:10 AM »

Good call; Iron Maiden did a great cover of "Kill Me, Ce Soir" (though, as much as I love Maiden, it lost a little of the uniqueness of the original).   I'm a fan of "She Flies On Strange Wings".  I have a good compilation by them - "The Continuing Story...." or something like that.
Strange Wings is a good song, but Silver Ships from the same album is better. In any case, Once you get past Radar Love, Moontan (US) pretty much exemplifies what they did best. Five wonderful songs. It's a shame the only songs that ever hit over here were Twilight Zone and Radar Love.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 11:49:37 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline dparrott

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2022, 11:10:48 AM »
Boogarins from Brazil.  All in Portuguese but beautiful music
https://youtu.be/EikdEJiHp2c
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 12:07:31 PM »

Strange Wings is a good song, but Silver Ships from the same album is better. In any case, Once you get past Radar Love, Moontan (US) pretty much exemplifies what they did best. Five wonderful songs. It's a shame the only songs that ever hit over here were Twilight Zone and Radar Love.

I liked, When the Lady Smiles as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Harmony

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2022, 07:44:21 PM »
Wow, thanks you guys!  Looks like I've got some listening to do.   :tup

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2022, 01:04:08 AM »
Wow, thanks you guys!  Looks like I've got some listening to do.   :tup

If you make a Spotify playlist I'd be interested  :tup

Offline dparrott

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2022, 03:03:40 PM »
Melody's Echo Chamber.  Can't understand the words (French) but WHAT A SONG!
https://youtu.be/YLBAUb0SmtE
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 08:52:51 AM »
I don't know that much about the style but I love these guys. They play it pretty fast and energetic, which is a win for me.

Kaleidobolt

https://youtu.be/Udqx-myn4Ww
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 04:13:44 PM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2022, 09:31:10 AM »
Going old school early 70's, I'd recommend Weather Report's early albums, include their self-titled debut and Sweetnighter.

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2022, 09:44:46 AM »
Those are great albums, but I'm trying to figure how they'd fit as psychedelic rock.  I don't think they ever even had a guitarist in the band. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2022, 12:03:30 PM »
I guess it comes down to how one might define the term 'psychedelic'. My interpretations are pretty broad. There are all types of associations with the word (most of them corny and cliche), like far out, trippy, spacey, mind-altering... descriptions that I can relate to early Weather Report. Mahavishnu Orchestra is another band that I think can be described as such.

And no, Weather Report never had a guitarist, but I don't necessarily believe that having a guitar player is a prerequisite to creating psychedelic music.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2022, 07:15:39 PM »
My hang-up is more about the "rock" part.  It's hard to be rock without guitar, just like it'd be hard to create an electronic album with just a straight recording of drums/bass/guitar/vocals.  Their fusion of jazz was more driven by funk and other elements.  Whereas Mahavishnu had McLaughlin throwing fire with overdriven guitar, and even Goodman's violin playing was sometimes overdriven to sound more like one. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2022, 07:17:04 PM »
Well, did ELP have a guitarist, yet they're still progressive rock, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2022, 07:20:18 PM »
Right, they'd be one of the exceptions, and it's because Keith kind of played with a rock guitarist attitude with the aggression, wild soloing and theatrics. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2022, 07:23:23 PM »
So why wouldn't Weather Report be an exception?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2022, 07:25:12 PM »
I just don't see what's "rock" about them other than some isolated moments.  That isn't the sound they're going for. 

Also, Carl Palmer had more of a rock style than any of WR's drummers. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 07:34:07 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2022, 07:27:59 PM »
I just don't see what's "rock" about them other than some isolated moments.  That isn't the sound they're going for.

I don't know, I've never heard a note, but if LudwigVan says so, I don't argue.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2022, 07:30:29 PM »
You take the classical guy's authority on matters of rock music?  :p

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2022, 07:34:07 PM »
You take the classical guy's authority on matters of rock music?  :p

I take the classical guy's authority on all music.  :)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2022, 07:14:23 PM »
for those who like documentaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmumK01DuGA