Author Topic: Retro Songs/Tracks of the Year: 2005  (Read 4063 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Retro Songs/Tracks of the Year: 2005
« on: November 18, 2022, 09:44:14 PM »
Ok, so I've thought about it, and instead of waiting and trying to think back and forth how to do this, let's just start doing this fun exercise now.

Like The Retro Albums of the Year Topic, we're going to start with 1965.

I thought it might be neat to go by decade or just a random year, but that may throw some people off.
So we'll do the normal year-by-year leading up to 2020 (or 2021 or 2022? I think there was a topic started by Litho for 2021 already?)

edit: in a change of plans, we're going to do this RANDOMLY.

-VOTING and to include some kind of cumulative VOTING number for the lists?

I or someone else? (Reaper?) would like to try doing that.

I'm hoping that won't require a large amount of time to do, and won't hurt/delay the flow of updating the next year to post your next year's list.

-How many count?..again, the Voting part to me at least, is secondary, but I guess we can start at say your Top 30 songs/tracks get counted. Any songs/tracks placed lower than 30 won't count towards the Voting results.

-I guess depending on how long some people's lists get, the number of songs to count could change (maybe up to 50?)

But if you don't rank your songs/tracks in a numerical list (you don't have to post them Ranked if you don't want to), than your songs/tracks won't likely go towards the results of the Voting for that year.

-What songs/tracks are eligible? I'm not going to do any extensive amount of research. I'm going to trust the songs/track you list were released in that Calendar Year either on an album, a single, ep, compilation, or on a Soundtrack, etc.

-How Many Songs/Tracks can be included per Artist/Album? the more I think about this, there should be no limit. The point being there are years or even albums that include several songs/tracks from the same artist that you'll feel strongly about (Close to the Edge and And You And I, for example).

-"Songs" vs "Tracks" and Suites, etc: A "Track" is more general and includes instrumental recordings. "Song" implies there is *Singing* which of course many tracks do not, etc. If you want to include a Suite (that includes more than 1 track) or whatever in your list, by all means. It'll be counted as 1 Song/Track in the voting.

-How often will the year be updated? I guess 1-2 times per week depending on time. I recall on the Albums thread, some people would reply with a few lists, many weeks later even. That's fine. However, those lists may not be included in the Voting results since they are submitted after the Voting results are already published (or maybe an update can be made later to the voting results?).

Here's a few resources for anyone needing them (I'll try and link these for each year):

Billboard
Singles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1965
Albums: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_200_number-one_albums_of_1965

Rateyourmusic
Singles: https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/single/1965/
Albums: https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1965/

RANKING SITE:
https://www.pubmeeple.com/ranking-engine.

That all being said.

Here's my list for 1965. I'll totally confess, my 1965 lists looks/feels like a Beatles Best of + others in some ways. 1965, while has many songs I know, not that many that I totally love. Like? yeah, but my #1 and my #22 say..I don't feel incredibly different about. I do enjoy this period from The Beatles, but my favorite era from The Beatles, like many, came in the next couple of years.

1. The Beatles - Day Tripper
2. Nina Simone - Sinnerman
3. The Mama's and the Pappa's - California Dreamin'
4. The Who - The Kids Are Alright
5. The Beatles - Nowhere Man
6. Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence
7. The Beatles - We Can Work it Out
8. The Yardbirds - Heart Full of Soul
9. The Who - I Can't Explain
10. The Animals - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
11. Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone
12. The Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe in Magic?
13. The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
14. The Beatles - Eight Days a Week
15. The Beach Boys - Help Me Rhonda
16. The Beatles - Help!
17. The Beatles - In My Life
18. The Beatles - Norwegian Wood
19. The Who - Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
20. The Beatles - Ticket to Ride
21. The Yardbirds - For Your Love
22. The Beach Boys - Barbara Ann
23. The Beatles - Yesterday
24. The Beatles - The Night Before
25. The Beatles - Michelle
26. The Beatles - You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
27. The Beach Boys - When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
28. The Moody Blues - Go Now

1965: Page 1
1966:
1967:
1968:
1970:
1971:
1972:
1973:
1974:
1975:
1976: Page 3-4
1977:
1978:
1979:
1980:
1981:
1982:
1983:
1984: Page 2-3
1985:
1986:
1987:
1988:
1989:
1990:
1991:
1992:
1993:
1994:
1995:
1996:
1997:
1998:
1999:
2000: Page 1-2
2001:
2002:
2003:
2004:
2005: Page 3-4
2006:
2007:
2008:
2009:
2010:
2011:
2012:
2013: Page 3
2014:
2015:
2016:
2017:
2018:
2019:
2020:
2021:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 08:51:56 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Retro Songs/Tracks of the Year: 1965
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 10:05:12 PM »
I think there was a topic started by Litho for 2021 already?

Yeah, but by the time we get there, 1.5 years or so will have passed since that thread, so it'll be worth reevaluating anyway to see what has had staying power.  I know, having glanced at mine again recently, that several songs have rocketed up the list since posting it.  And some people probably missed the thread the first time around. 

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 10:10:05 PM »
Leaving off the 50s and early 60s is going to be painful for mine, that leaves out so much classic jazz.  I know this is a rock/metal-centric forum, but I wonder if there could be interest in tacking on some earlier years for people who are inclined. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 10:20:57 PM »
Given this isn't necessarily confined to a total years thing, yeah I suppose we could include those.

Personally, while I know music from that era (Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Bill Haley, Sinatra, Elvis, etc) I might find it hard to come up with a reasonable list. Sure, early Rock N Roll and Jazz (Brubeck and Miles Davis off the top of my head), I know. But I definitely wonder if making those lists would take me more time, or even ranking the songs might.

And your point about this is a Metal and Prog forum, and the numbers for those years could be pretty thin overall for participation.

I guess maybe it's something others can chime in on. I recall on the Albums Topic, there were at least a few people who struggled with making albums lists from the mid/late 60's, 70's and even 80's to an extent. So, 50's and early 60's?..could be much the same for those people.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 10:23:30 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 04:43:02 AM »
Hard for me to participate this early... I don't have much that goes back before Zeppelin I.  And the individual songs that I do have from this era I didn't track the Year Released in the meta data.  Guess I'll peruse the Billboard list and see what I come up with.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online HOF

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 09:19:05 AM »
Yeah, I’m not gonna have a lot to go off of in the 60s either other than some Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel stuff. The only 1965 album I own is Rubber Soul. I’ll go with:

1. The Beatles - Nowhere Man

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 09:39:05 AM »
14. The Beatles - Eight Days a Week

That one threw me (I'm even more of a Beatle history buff than Queen :o) as it was released in December '64 from the 'Beatles For Sale' LP.  So I made sure I double checked, and sure enough, it was released in the States in February of '65 (#1 of course) and appeared on 'Beatles VI' in July (oh how Capitol releases still confuse me).

I learn something new everyday.

Wow....#2 was an obscure one for me.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 10:22:35 AM »
I'll post a list soon, don't much much from 65 but things will start hitting their stride 69 (nice) onward.

For the ranking I'll gladly do it this time but the lists have to be number in "1. Artist - Song" format. One of the biggest challenges when I was trying to put the cumulative album ranking was that people formatted their albums in various formats which it made it hard to organize.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 10:52:09 AM »
I'll post a list soon, don't much much from 65 but things will start hitting their stride 69 (nice) onward.

For the ranking I'll gladly do it this time but the lists have to be number in "1. Artist - Song" format. One of the biggest challenges when I was trying to put the cumulative album ranking was that people formatted their albums in various formats which it made it hard to organize.

I agree. It happens with the New Release Calendar frequently. I know everyone likes to format things their own way, but when it comes to contributing to a larger amount of text, it really makes things much easier and less time consuming if the submissions are in 1 standard, uniform, format.

If you can do it, thank you. The only issue being then is if you just want to periodically post the previous year(s) Voting results after I change the subject to vote for the next year.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 09:58:45 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 11:13:17 AM »
Norwegian Wood or Yesterday for me, tough call

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2022, 02:27:42 PM »
I needed wiki...

Rolling Stones-Get Off Of My Cloud
Rolling Stones-The Last Time
The Byrds-Mr. Tambourine Man
The Byrds-Turn Turn Turn
The Yardbirds-Still I'm Sad
The Yardbirds-Train Kept a Rollin'
The Yardbirds-Heart Full Of Soul
The Animals-Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
The Animals-It's My Life

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 05:12:17 AM »
Scanning through the singles lists, there are other songs I recognize the titles of and am sure I'd recall them if I heard them, and probably plenty of others I don't even consciously know the names of, but have heard numerous times.  But this a fair amount of time anyway to refresh my mind on some of these albums with some skimming, so ignorance will have to remain bliss on a lot of those.  I suspect as the years go by I'm going to rely less and less on RYM and Billboard's lists to remind me of songs and just use my own ratings.  Which aren't even helpful enough, there's tons of stuff I've heard and just never got around to rating. 

Julie London is crazy underrated.  She had three good albums that year.  I feel very weird putting her above Trane, but so be it.  There's a live version of the song that's much more uptempo and changes the feel, but is quite good as well.  Ranking jazz compared to pop/rock/Motown is just a headache, so the specifics of the ordering in general are pretty loose and they tend to clump up in tiers by style at times. 

1:  Julie London - "You'd Be Nice To Come Home To"
2:  John Coltrane - "Part I - Acknowledgement"
3:  Vince Guaraldi - "Christmas Time Is Here (instrumental)"
4:  Stevie Wonder - "Uptight (Everything's Alright)"
5:  Wayne Shorter - "Mahjong"
6:  Grant Green - "Django"
7:  Thelonious Monk - "Teo"
8:  Horace Silver - "Calcutta Cutie"
9:  McCoy Tyner - "Mr. Gentle and Mr. Cool"
10:  Milt Jackson - "That's In"
11:  Lou Christie - "Lightnin' Strikes"
12:  The Temptations - "My Girl"
13:  Joe Henderson - "Short Story"
14:  Dizzy Gillespie - "Trinidad, Hello"
15:  Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - "The Core"
16:  Dexter Gordon - "Darn That Dream"
17:  Miles Davis - "Iris"
18:  Lionel Hampton - "Pick a Rib"
19:  Oscar Peterson - "Goodbye J.D."
20:  Hank Mobley - "East of the Village"
21:  Jimmy Smith - "Hackensack"
22:  The Mamas & The Papas - "California Dreamin'"
23:  The Beatles - "Yesterday"
24:  Diana Ross & The Supremes - "Stop! in the Name of Love"
25:  Ella Fitzgerald - "Something's Gotta Give"
26:  Nina Simone - "I Put a Spell On You"
27:  Four Tops - "It's the Same Old Song"
28:  The Sonics - "Have Love Will Travel"
29:  The Beach Boys - "Help Me, Rhonda"
30:  Hamza El-Din - "The Gondola"

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 07:30:22 PM »
I have to wonder if people are just waiting 'til we hit the late 60s/early 70s and the first true prog, hard rock, and metal albums start coming out, or if people are taking time putting together lists.  I have an unfair advantage in having heard a truckload of old jazz, but I'd think some of the "elderly" forum members would know a lot more radio hits from this era than me, including stuff that isn't on the top 100 lists. 

I'm going to feel embarrassed once we hit the 70s and lots of classic rock radio hits push out iconic prog albums, because I've heard tons of classic prog enough to know I like the album, but not enough to pick individual songs, and tons of those radio staples I've never heard a full album from, or maybe only a compilation.  This is a whole different beast from the album one last year. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 10:00:50 PM »
I actually was thinking about some of that issue. I happen to enjoy a lot of artists that have like 1 or 2 tunes that charted in the 70's and 80's, that when making a list of favorite songs from each year, I wouldn't think of.

It's a different way to consider ranking a list.

It actually supports the way the YouTube Channel Tastes Like Music by them making a few lists, 1 of songs that chartered on Billboard, and 1 of songs that did not.

I dunno, i suspect I will want to make a redux of many of my lists down the road. Per I am making Spotify playlists for mine (and likely some YouTube since there are a lot of songs/albums/artists not on Spotify unfortunately).

« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 11:07:21 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 06:42:27 AM »
Unranked... just the ones from the Billboard list:

Four Tops - "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)"
The Rolling Stones - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
The Righteous Brothers - "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"
The Beatles - "Help!"
The Temptations - "My Girl"
The Righteous Brothers - "Unchained Melody"
The Byrds - "Mr. Tambourine Man"
The Beatles - "Ticket to Ride"
The Supremes - "Back in My Arms Again"
Barbara Lewis - "Baby I'm Yours"
The Yardbirds - "For Your Love"
The Beach Boys - "California Girls"
The Beatles - "Eight Days a Week"
The Kinks - "All Day and All of the Night"
Martha and the Vandellas - "Nowhere to Run"
The Yardbirds - "Heart Full of Soul"
The Searchers - "Love Potion No. 9"
Four Tops - "It's the Same Old Song"
The Animals - "We Gotta Get out of This Place"
The Lovin' Spoonful - "Do You Believe in Magic"
Little Anthony and the Imperials - "Take Me Back"
Marvin Gaye - "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)"
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 11:05:16 AM »
I'm just waiting for 1974. :)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2022, 10:30:21 AM »
So, I've decided instead of going through Year-by-Year chronologically from 1965, instead in the interest of participation, to pick years RANDOMLY.

So I'm doing that with a Random Number Generator (from 1965-2021)

I did that the other day, and the Year 2000 came up.

My favorite songs/tracks from the Year 2000 is largely filled with a handful of my favorite albums of that year/of all-time in some ways. Kevin Gilbert, Pain of Salvation and Fates Warning albums have a large number of songs I really love, thus I couldn't see not including them.

Also it seems between Transatlantic, Fates Warning, Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings, there were several very notable prog Epics in the Year 2000, which it seems started a pattern, that wasnt as present in the previous decade. Why? unsure, but maybe the Prog/Prog Metal scene started to desire to write long pieces again?..even say Godspeed You Black Emperor of course released the Lift Your Skinny Fists album that had 4 of them, 1 that is on my list "Storm."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_2000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_200_number-one_albums_of_2000

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/single/2000/
https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2000/

1   Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element
2   Fates Warning - Still Remains
3   Pain of Salvation - In the Flesh
4   Kevin Gilbert - Water Under the Bridge
5   Kevin Gilbert - Imagemaker
6   Spock's Beard - The Great Nothing
7   Pain of Salvation - Her Voices
8   Transatlantic - All of the Above
9      Kevin Gilbert - The Way Back Home
10   Kevin Gilbert - Best Laid Plans
11   Fates Warning - Something from Nothing
12   Enchant - What to Say
13   Porcupine Tree - Shesmovedon
14   Pain of Salvation - Reconciliation
15   Mew - King Christian
16    Kevin Gilbert - A Long Day's Life
17   sElf - Ordinaire
18   Transatlantic - My New World
19   Transatlantic - We All Need Some Light
20   Doves - Break Me Gently
21   King's X - Charlie Sheen
22   Kevin Gilbert - The City of the Sun
23    The Flower Kings - I am the Sun Pt. 1
24    Fates Warning - Pieces of Me
25   Porcupine Tree - The Rest Will Flow
26    Doves - Rise
27    Pain of Salvation - Used
28   Kevin Gilbert - Staring into Nothing
29    Fates Warning - One
30   Porcupine Tree - Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It's Recycled
31   sElf - Trunk Fulla Amps
32   Enchant - Rough Draft
33   Steve Stevens - Flamenco A Go GO
34   Pain of Salvation - King of Loss
35    Fates Warning - So
36    White Willow - Paper Moon
37    Kevin Gilbert - Suite Fugue (Dance of the A&R Men)
38    U2 - New York
39    Klimt 1918 - Swallow's Supremacy
40   King's X - Smudge
41    Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
42   Cloud Cult - Where it Starts
43   Spiral Architect - Insect
44    Mew - Am I Wry? No
45   King's X - Marshmellow Field
46    Kevin Gilbert - Parade
47   King's X - Move Me (Part 2)
48   Spock's Beard - At the End of the Day
49    Mew - 156
50   I Can't Believe It's Not Rock - Staging a Traffic Jam
51   VAST - Free
52   sElf - What a Fool Believes
53   The New Pornographers - Mass Romantic
54   Looking-Glass-Self - Stigmata
55    Pain of Salvation - Idioglossia
56    Porcupine Tree - How Is Your Life Today?
57    Oceansize - Amputee
58   Lehto & Wright - Jerry's Beaver/The Eavesdropper/Con Casey's Jig
59   Platypus - The Tower
60   The Flower Kings - Chicken Farmer Song
61    Spock's Beard - Thoughts, Part II
62   Galactic Cowboys - Life And Times
63   Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Storm
64   Under the Sun - This Golden Voyage
65    Oceansize - Saturday Morning Breakfast Show
66   Chroma Key - Another Permanent Address
67    Mew - Saliva
68    Galactic Cowboys - A Different Way
69   ON - Shifting Skin
70   At the Drive-In - One Armed Scissor
71   Oceansize - Ebb
72   Sculptured - Washing My Hands Of It
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 10:40:06 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Online HOF

Re: Retro Songs/Tracks of the Year: 2000
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 10:53:34 AM »
Oh man, 2000 is a loaded year. Gonna take some time to properly rank some of these.

So, do instrumental tracks count as “songs”?

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 10:55:01 AM »
Yeah, generating the years randomly does seem like a good idea, it appears like a bunch of people were probably just waiting to bypass these early years.  Also keeps everyone on their toes and unable to plan ahead, which is a little vexing, but keeps things exciting. 

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2022, 10:22:33 PM »
Just want to bump this back up.  I imagine people are realizing like I am, that it's a bit of work, but I've been enjoying curating my own list. 

Online HOF

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2022, 10:44:40 PM »
Figured ranking was kind of pointless if we’re not getting more participation. Here are my favorites in no particular order (but you can kind of tell by the order too):

Transatlantic - My New World
Transatlantic - We All Need Some Light
Transatlantic - All Of The Above
Kip Winger - Cross
Kip Winger - Landslide
Kip Winger - Broken Open
Kip Winger - Resurrection
Spock’s Beard - The Great Nothing
Spock’s Beard - At The End Of The Day
Mike Keneally and Beer for Dolphins - Kedgeree
Chroma Key - Another Permanent Address
Enchant - Paint the Picture
The Flower Kings - Chicken Farmer Song
King’s X - Charlie Sheen
Pearl Jam - Light Years
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
Geddy Lee - Grace To Grace
Peter Gabriel - Downside-Up
U2 - Kite
A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras
Mr. Big - Superfantastic
Nickel Creek - Out of the Woods

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2022, 05:33:34 AM »
I’ll revisit this on the weekend, but I may not actually rank things, just rhyme off some of my favourite 5* tunes.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2022, 01:08:07 PM »
 I follow why ranking songs could take some time..even requiring you to revisit some.

Maybe the whole voting thing shouldn't be a priority?..unsure.

I can say, I have already begun the next year, and am finding it may not require as much time as the year 2000 for me, maybe partially due to the era.

I did make playlists for my Songs/Tracks on YouTube and Spotify. Although especially on YouTube, it is odd how if you play it on Shuffle/Random, it will play some multiple times, while others never get played, lol.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1xsoG3yPd5yuBnVgFvR9Bj
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFNc6ga_mjMvA8-rIRDrHJiPdMrDimdQi

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2022, 01:23:00 PM »
I follow why ranking songs could take some time..even requiring you to revisit some.

Yeah, I'm finding at least four categories of songs as I assemble it.  a:  Singles that I've never even heard the albums they're from.  b:  Songs that instantly come to mind and are obvious choices as list candidates.  c:  Albums where I like several songs, but am unsure which I want representing them.  d:  Albums I know I like, but can't necessarily think of any standouts without listening to the whole thing again.  Relistening to various selections in category C is the stage I'm currently in and what's been taking the longest.  And there are obviously a lot of albums in C & D I'm not just going to be able to even consider due to time limitations.  Oh well.  My list is getting pretty close now though. 

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2022, 11:39:56 AM »
What a monster year.  Classic song after song on here, and with a decent number I could easily put half the album on here, but for the sake of variety I'm going to continue to enforce my usual one song per artist rule.  I imagine most years in this decade will be this way, it was pretty formative for my tastes.  I tried not to think too hard about the order, because I'd be here until '23 if I did. 

1:  Ayreon - "2084"
2:  Lacuna Coil - "Stars"
3:  Nightingale - "I Return"
4:  Hans Zimmer - "Honor Him"
5:  Nevermore - "The River Dragon Has Come"
6:  Sonata Arctica - "San Sebastian"
7:  Sade - "Somebody Already Broke My Heart"
8:  Aghora - "Immortal Bliss"
9:  Deftones - "Change (in the House of Flies)"
10:  Chicane - "Saltwater"
11:  Niacin - "Things Ain't Like They Used To Be"
12:  Sara Evans - "Every Little Kiss"
13:  Smashing Pumpkins - "The Everlasting Gaze"
14:  Thalarion - "A Herald of Sorrow & Wretchedness"
15:  Aziza Mustafa Zadeh - "March (Vagif Month)"
16:  In Flames - "Another Day in Quicksand"
17:  Gambale/Hamm/Smith - "Katahdin"
18:  Symphony X - "Evolution (The Grand Design)"
19:  Sentenced - "Killing Me, Killing You"
20:  Nickel Creek - "Ode To a Butterfly"
21:  Armageddon - "Embrace the Mystery"
22:  Pain of Salvation - "In the Flesh"
23:  The Gathering - "Rollercoaster"
24:  Galactic Cowboys - "Life and Times"
25:  Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "Sleep"
26:  raison d'etre - "The Hidden Hallows"
27:  AP2 - "My Sympathies"
28:  Iron Maiden - "Brave New World"
29:  Halford - "Silent Screams"
30:  Slash's Snakepit - "Life's Sweet Drug"
31:  Stuck Mojo - "The Ward Is My Shepherd"
32:  Linkin Park - "Runaway"
33:  Spiritual Beggars - "Left Brain Ambassadors"
34:  Michelle Branch - "Goodbye To You"
35:  Alan Silvestri - "Castaway Main Title"
36:  Matchbox Twenty - "Bent"
37:  Impellitteri - "Fear No Evil"
38:  Gardenian - "Selfproclaimed Messiah"
39:  Planet X - "Clonus"
40:  Flowing Tears - "The One I Drowned"
41:  King Crimson - "The ConstruKction of Light"
42:  Radiohead - "Everything In Its Right Place"
43:  Racer X - "Snakebite"
44:  Transatlantic - "We All Need Some Light Now"
45:  Enya - "Only Time"
46:  A Perfect Circle - "Judith"
47:  Covenant - "Like Tears in Rain"
48:  Icon of Coil - "You Just Died"
49:  Ulver - "The Future Sound of Music"
50:  Apoptygma Berserk - "Eclipse"
51:  Aynsley Lister - "Angel O' Mine"
52:  Playpus - "Oh God"
53:  Stacie Orrico - "Don't Look At Me"
54:  Iris - "The Picture"
55:  Paul Gilbert - "Rosalinda Told Me"
56:  Nichole Nordeman - "Tremble"
57:  The Echoing Green - "Defender"
58:  Ram-Zet - "The Fall"
59:  Stratovarius - "A Million Light Years Away"
59:  Mudvayne - "Death Blooms"
60:  Jedi Mind Tricks - "Muerte"
61:  OutKast - "So Fresh, So Clean"
62:  King's X - "Fish Bowl Man"
63:  Morbid Angel - "Opening of the Gates"
64:  Quo Vadis - "On the Shores of Ithika"
65:  White Willow - "The Reach"
66:  Immolation - "Father, You're Not a Father"
67:  Behemoth - "Christians To the Lions"
68:  3 Doors Down - "Duck and Run"
69:  Eric Johnson - "The Boogie King"
70:  Don Johnson Big Band - "Milano"

Online nick_z

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2022, 07:23:44 PM »
Ok, just for the fun of it...not a proper ranking, and I self-imposed a one song-per-artist rule too. Kind of an interesting year, I enjoyed a few more modern-sounding (for the time, at least) metal bands too.

Fates Warning - Still Remains
Nevermore - Inside Four Walls
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element
Dark Tranquillity - At Loss for Words
Spiritual Beggars - Sedated
Deftones - Change (In the House of Flies)
Iron Maiden - Ghost of the Navigator
Porcupine Tree -   The Rest Will Flow
Angel Dust - Still I'm Bleeding
Everon - Fantasma suite (cheating a bit, since it's separate tracks)
Enchant - What To Say
Symphony X - Communion and the Oracle
The Gathering - Saturnine
Novembre   - Onirica East
Misery Loves Co. - Your Vision Was Never Mine to Share
A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras
Smashing Pumpkins - I of the Mourning
Geddy Lee   - Grace to Grace
Theatre of Tragedy - Image
HIM - Right Here In My Arms
Keith Caputo - Selfish
Zeromancer - Something for the Pain
Apoptygma Berzerk - Starsign
Disturbed - Voices
earthtone9 - Yellow Fever
Fuel - Hemorrhage
Lifehouse - Hanging By a Moment
Coldplay - Shiver

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2022, 07:36:37 PM »
Novembre   - Onirica East

Kind of wanted something from these albums on the list, but nothing was salient enough on the tracklists to make it without putting them on again. 

Fuel - Hemorrhage
Coldplay - Shiver
Disturbed - Voices

Thought about these, they're some of the better mainstream singles of that year, but just not enough juice to get onto my list. 

Apoptygma Berzerk - Starsign

This was an album where it was either that or "Eclipse".  I listened to both again and "Eclipse" just edged it out.  And then we have eight other of the same albums, just also different tracks.  I need to make a note to schedule my next roulette at a time when you're not busy.   :lol
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:47:10 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online nick_z

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2022, 07:58:53 PM »
Novembre   - Onirica East

Kind of wanted something from these albums on the list, but nothing was salient enough on the tracklists to make it without putting them on again.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the albums....Dark Tranquillity's Haven is a big favorite of mine. I had enjoyed how they'd mixed up their sound with Projector, and I liked this one even better. A little more commercial, perhaps, especially with the keyboard sounds. I find the quality of the songs quite consistent, and it wasn't super-easy to find a standout. I picked the closer as I love the mood it creates. The Angel Dust's record is fantastic too. Again, I could've picked a bunch of songs. I love the almost-gothic-metal sounding "I Need you" from it, too...As for Novembre, always had a soft spot for them. This song is such a interesting combo of black, death, dark, and whatever else  ;) Zeromancer I discovered a couple of years after I witnessed a live performance of the previous incarnation of (at least some members of) the band, Seigmen. They were a supporting band. Such a cool show, even if very short. I couldn't really find their albums, though. Zeromancer's debut, Clone Your Lover, had a bit more of a NIN/Commercial Industrial vibe along with the gothic. This particular song shares some similarity with the sound Paradise Lost were going for around that time too. 

Fuel - Hemorrhage
Coldplay - Shiver
Disturbed - Voices

Thought about these, they're some of the better mainstream singles of that year, but just not enough juice to get onto my list.

Yep, lots of good mainstream stuff that year. Speaking of which, I see you have Matchbox Twenty in your list. Many good memories of Mad Season...I should have included something from it. Shiver is literally the first Coldplay song I've heard. Saw the music video on TV when (clearly) they were pretty much unknown. My local record store was selling the Parachutes CD at a special "new artist launch" price, so I went for it. It was kind of fun to see the record explode when Yellow was released. I still like it a fair bit. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2022, 08:12:28 PM »
Helloween-The Dark Ride
Helloween-We Damn The Night
Iron Maiden-The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
Michael Schenker- At The End Of The Day
Alice Cooper-Sanctuary
UFO-Fool's Gold
UFO-Midnight Train
Fates Warning-Something From Nothing
Fates Warning-Still Remains
Hammerfall-Keep The Flame Burning
Dio-Losing My Insanity
Armored Saint-Upon My Departure
King Diamond-Peace Of Mind (aka Andy Laroque's tribute to Michael Schenker)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2022, 08:33:10 PM »
Would love to hear your thoughts on the albums....

Haven is pretty much the album that created the modern sound they've been milking since then.  I like the addition of synths, and the whole album is cool, but it's just more homogeneous than their 90s albums.  The songs start to get more individual personality by their mid-late 00s releases again.  I just haven't listened to that Angel Dust album as much as the others of theirs in that era, so I'm less familiar with it.  Most of the power metal I've favored in the past couple decades has been on the heavier, darker side, and they certainly fit into that.  Novembre is a band that I kind of like, just not quite as much as a lot of their peer bands.  What bugs me most is their guitar tone, I've heard pretty much all their albums, and it's just consistently too thin and brittle for me.  I tend to like a lot of the industrial and electronic experimentation bands were trying in the 90s and early 00s.  Just not enough time with that ToT album to recall favorites.  The one that stands out from that era most is "Motion" on the next album, where I like both it and the Funker Vogt remix.  Zeromancer is another case of just not having heard that album as much as the next couple from them. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2022, 08:58:50 PM »
I'll add mine in a couple days when I'm home.  How many songs are we supposed to be listing?  I thought it was top 20... ?

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2022, 09:01:59 PM »
I think the top 30 count towards a compiled rank list, but then you can add as many others as you want, they just won't be tallied.  Although if we don't get enough participation it might be moot anyway if there's not much overlap. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2022, 06:57:27 AM »
Man, there just isn't a lot in my library for 2000 - only 25 or so studio albums - most of them in the good-but-far-from-great category.  Here's what I got (in no particular order).  Vanden Plas / Rainmaker was the SOTY for me though.  That much I know.

Ayreon / Chaos
Ayreon / Dawn Of A Million Souls
Ayreon / Into The Black Hole
Demons & Wizards / Fiddler On The Green
Elegy / Force Majeure
Erik Norlander / Rome is Burning
Ice Age / Musical Cages
Ice Age / The Lhasa Road (No Surrender)
Ice Age / The Blood Of Ages
Ice Age / When You're Ready
Ice Age / To Say Goodbye, Part III: Still Here
Iq / The Wrong Side of Weird
Iron Maiden / The Wicker Man
Iron Maiden / Ghost Of The Navigator
Jørn / The Day The Earth Caught Fire
Jørn / Forever Yours
Magnitude 9 / The End Of Days
Rhapsody / Dawn Of Victory
Rhapsody / Dargor, Shadowlord Of The Black Mountain
Rhapsody / Holy Thunderforce
Spock's Beard / At the End of the Day
Symphony X / Evolution (The Grand Design)
Symphony X / Communion And The Oracle
Symphony X / A Fool`s Paradise
Transatlantic / My New World
Vanden Plas / Rainmaker

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2022, 07:16:00 AM »
I think the top 30 count towards a compiled rank list, but then you can add as many others as you want, they just won't be tallied.  Although if we don't get enough participation it might be moot anyway if there's not much overlap. 

Top 50 is my counting but the songs must be formatted in this manner to be counted: 1. Artist - Song

Online nick_z

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2022, 10:20:31 AM »
Vanden Plas / Rainmaker was the SOTY for me though.  That much I know.

This is a fantastic song - one of my favorites from Vanden Plas, for sure. But isn't it from 1997 (The God Thing)?