Author Topic: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #1!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16278 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #2
« Reply #490 on: December 24, 2022, 08:20:19 AM »
OK, let's finish this thing...

#1- Haken- The Mountain (2013)

Initially I spotted Haken getting repeated mentions here, but my first proper spin was via a promo received at the Lady Obscure offices. Needless to say, no band in the past decade or so has had the impact on me that Haken has, and none has had a better run of albums then they did with their Aquarius-Visions-Restoration-Mountain-Affinity run. It was a bit tough for me to pick between  The Mountain and Affinity, but I gave the edge to The Mountain for one specific incident. I had broken up with my GF, my dear grandmother had passed, and I was in a dark spot in general. At the time I had taken up hiking as a way of getting my head clear, a local mountain offered a ton of challenging trails with good vertical climbs, and I was still getting into shape after 25 years of drinking and smoking cigarettes, so it was a challenge for me, but I was persistent and needed the physical thrill of pushing myself to get through. One particular day I was summiting Eagle Peak for the first time, about an 8 mile roundtrip with over 2k vertical feet, and was spinning The Mountain during the more challenging second half of the ascent. The moment Because It's There came on, I was really struggling, but the epic nature of the song, paired with the epic scenery and the physical exertion created one of those rare moments in life where we just connect with everything, and it all makes sense, I really can't explain it any other way. I mean, to be in this scenario, with that epic music and these lyrics...

Judgement from birth
Criticize our worth
We struggled to uphold
Struck down, will we fold?
Climb, find your way
Scale high, don't look back
With hope you will find
The life you seek

Yeah...once in a lifetime man. Anyhoo, I don't have to say anything explaining Haken to the masses here, nor this album. And I'm sure a good deal of you will agree with its placement at the top of this list.

Favorite Tracks- All of them yo... I mean seriously... Atlas Stone, Cockroach King, In Memoriam, Because It's There, As Death Embraces, Pareidolia, Somebody..... what a fucking run of tracks. All of them masterpieces.

Pareidolia- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr_gROZmTtA

Falling Back to Earth- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adHGrSP43QE

Atlas Stone- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ8v_evgiS4

Well, thanks for all those who have followed, while a good deal of this list are DTF standards, I do feel I offered a good array of music, and maybe brought out some obscure and unique stuff for people to sink there teeth into. My mantra when it comes  to new music is 'just click play, you never know what wonders await', and the massive majority of this list came about because I just clicked play.

Happy holidays you filthy animals  :heart

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #1!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #491 on: December 24, 2022, 08:54:37 AM »
I've listened to this album half a dozen times or so and it's just one of those albums I don't get. It's not bad but it's forgettable IMO. It's been a few years so maybe I'll give it another go and see if my opinion has changed.

Thanks for the great write-ups Lonestar, a lot of new stuff to check out!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #492 on: December 24, 2022, 09:37:19 AM »
Now that one's a classic.  Still have a hoodie for it I occasionally wear from seeing them live. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #493 on: December 24, 2022, 09:42:16 AM »
I've listened to this album band half a dozen times or so and it's just one of those albums bands I don't get. It's not bad but it's forgettable IMO. It's been a few years so maybe No chance I'll give it another go and see if my opinion has changed.

Thanks for the great write-ups Lonestar, a lot of new stuff to check out!

Fix'd for me.  I understand the appeal for many, but it just ain't the band for me, and I've given them enough tries to know that it ain't all of a sudden going to 'click'.  :dunno:

Loved following the list bro, and I find it amazing how we're in sync on so much, but then out of sync on a bunch more.  I'll be interested to see how things unfold with my list (which I intend to fire up next week).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #494 on: December 24, 2022, 11:00:09 AM »
Looking forward to it... At least I finally got you to click with a Jmetal band with Lonesome_Blue.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #495 on: December 24, 2022, 11:03:56 AM »
I didn't recognize any of the albums in the 2-5 slots, but number 1 is a nice choice. While it wouldn't be my number 1, or anywhere close for that matter, The Mountain is an excellent album for sure.  :tup :tup

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #496 on: December 24, 2022, 11:15:25 AM »
I've heard some of the first few Allegaeon albums and they were good, but didn't especially stand out to me.  Maybe next month I can get to that one and see if it pops more. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #497 on: December 24, 2022, 11:44:36 AM »
I've heard some of the first few Allegaeon albums and they were good, but didn't especially stand out to me.  Maybe next month I can get to that one and see if it pops more.

Try Damnum, their latest, they really embrace a more melodic approach. Just a killer album.

https://youtu.be/PFNGAcYibSI

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #498 on: December 24, 2022, 12:02:28 PM »
What a fantastic album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #499 on: December 24, 2022, 03:54:14 PM »
I saw them play this in a random bar/venue in Belgium with about 20 people in attendance :corn

No seriously, great pick. Not my favourite Haken, but definitely my most played record in 2013. Loved it then, don’t return to it as much. Solid choice nonetheless :)

Happy Christmas to all reading!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #500 on: December 24, 2022, 03:58:48 PM »
This is an album I loved back in the day but haven't really revisited in years. Maybe I should, for old times' sake.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: December 24, 2022, 05:09:06 PM »
Yeah, don't understand Haken either myself.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #502 on: December 24, 2022, 08:57:58 PM »
I loved your write up for The Mountain.  I'm not a huge Haken fan, but I like them and enjoy seeing them live.  But I totally relate to that experience; I've had moments like that with my favorite bands and there's nothing like it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: December 25, 2022, 09:07:05 AM »
Their best album, just filled with great songs and an uplifting message overall. I wish more people could get into this band.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #504 on: December 25, 2022, 09:36:50 AM »
Their best album, just filled with great songs and an uplifting message overall. I wish more people could get into this band.

Zydar knows what's up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: December 25, 2022, 02:21:39 PM »

Zydar knows what's up.

Ya know, I used to think that.

Until now.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: December 26, 2022, 05:54:32 AM »

Zydar knows what's up.

Ya know, I used to think that.

Until now.   :lol

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #507 on: December 28, 2022, 01:06:34 PM »
Lonestar, I have a list of albums from your thread that I intend to check out. My favourite of the ones I have listened to so far is Ostura’s The Room. After only two listens, it sounds like a bit of a masterpiece.  :hefdaddy

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: December 28, 2022, 02:32:24 PM »
Lonestar, I have a list of albums from your thread that I intend to check out. My favourite of the ones I have listened to so far is Ostura’s The Room. After only two listens, it sounds like a bit of a masterpiece.  :hefdaddy

That one is out of this world....
Hope the next one will be another masterpiece

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #509 on: December 28, 2022, 02:34:34 PM »

Same...they really found a unique niche with what they did on The Room.

Zoom E...if Ostura hits the right spot for you, may I suggest from my first top 50 Beyond the Bridge- The Old Man and the Spirit...not as huge sounding as The Room, but an outstanding prog metal concept album all the same. The Flaming Row album on this list is along the same vein as well, and definitely worth a listen.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: December 28, 2022, 02:35:32 PM »

Zoom E...if Ostura hits the right spot for you, may I suggest from my first top 50 Beyond the Bridge- The Old Man and the Spirit...not as huge sounding as The Room, but an outstanding prog metal concept album all the same. The Flaming Row album on this list is along the same vein as well, and definitely worth a listen.

Seconded.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #511 on: December 28, 2022, 03:17:28 PM »

Seconded.

Cool, I will give them both a listen. Thanks.  :tup