Author Topic: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #1!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16822 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #22
« Reply #315 on: December 09, 2022, 12:56:33 PM »
Now this is a wonderful album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #316 on: December 09, 2022, 01:26:16 PM »
I spun Lost and Pyramid Theorem both yesterday.  Lost was up and down (the growls didn't work for me - not simply because they were growls, but just something else.  I dunno... they just didn't fit).  PT ... vocally I still think it's pretty weak.  Now mind you, I was listening to the closer in some brutal stop-and-go traffic, so my frame of mind was not great, but sonofabitch that song went on forever.

Milliontown.  *chefs kiss*.  Virtually flawless.  Hyperventilate is a Top 2 instrumental of all time for me.  I don't quite have the raging ear-boner that most have for the eponymous track, but it's good.  Truth be told, I prefer Experiments as a whole over this one.  But that's just splitting hairs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #317 on: December 09, 2022, 01:40:43 PM »
Yeah, what Chad said about Milliontown
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #318 on: December 09, 2022, 04:23:50 PM »
Milliontown is a damn near perfect album  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #319 on: December 09, 2022, 04:24:55 PM »
Someone sent me a Frost song in one of my roulettes. I thought it was really decent, but I never checked anything else out by them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2022, 04:34:33 PM »
Ok, kind of want to finish this by Christmas, so I'm going to drop another today...

#21- Destrage- Are You Kidding Me? No. (2014)

Look up organized harmonic chaos in the dictionary, and you'd find this album. Came across this one in That Drummer Guy's top 150 list, one of many albums I've scored there, and man, this is a gem. These guys are from Italy, and while they definitely have myriad influences, they sound like absolutely nobody else. They're listed as progressive metalcore, and that's a very loose description for what they deliver. The musicians are ridiculously talented across the board and they throw all the rules out the door in a frantic race to kick your ass with as many sick riffs and brutal drops as they can. The opening track Destroy Create Transform Sublimate is an absolute monster, and sets the pace for the rest of the album which keeps the promise of the opener. Even the 'ballad' Where the Things have no Colour still has serious edge. Definitely worth a listen...

Favorite Tracks- Destroy Create Transform Sublimate, My Green Neighbour, Hosts Rifles and Coke, Where the Things Have No Colour

Destroy Create Transform Sublimate- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CosqKDW39NU

Offline nick_z

Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #21
« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2022, 04:39:54 PM »
Yep, this Destrage album is very, very good. It could easily fall in the trap of trying to do too much, but they hold the chaos together super-well.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2022, 05:38:13 PM »
Yep, this Destrage album is very, very good. It could easily fall in the trap of trying to do too much, but they hold the chaos together super-well.

Yep, perfectly put. I think they fell into that trap in later albums, especially their last. They have some moments of genius, but also tend to lose me sometimes as well.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #323 on: December 10, 2022, 09:37:05 AM »
#20- Orphaned Land- Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven (2004)

My first experience with Orphaned Land was actually seeing them live. They played at PPUSA and attached a US tour to that show, and at 25 bucks, it was totally worth it to check them out. Before the show I did a quick listen to All Is One and was definitely impressed. The show of course kicked all sorts of ass, so I dove deeper and found myself loving their work. In the end, I was stuck between this album, and Unsung Prophets, but went with Mabool because of how much more cohesive a work it is in telling its story. As to the band, they're out of Israel and are very vocal when it comes to voicing their opinions, especially the lead singer. They see the pointless struggle between the three religions that dominate their homeland, and speak up about it, to the point where they was even a petition to put them up for a Nobel Peace Prize for their work in uniting the people through music. As to the album, it's a delicious blend of prog metal and middle eastern folk music, and it's amazing beginning to end. The story is of the seventh son of God, who gets split into three (islam, judaism, and christianity) and cast down to Earth because God fears their united strength. The story tells of their struggle on earth to unite humanity in the face of the flood, and their failure. It's a masterpiece in every aspect, and worthy of a full listen in a dark room with headphones.

Favorite Tracks- Ocean Land, Halo Dies, The Storm Still Rages Inside

Ocean Land- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf7i6UB5vGw

Halo Dies- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90xgxQR78wM

Offline nick_z

Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #20
« Reply #324 on: December 10, 2022, 09:44:22 AM »
My favorite Orphaned Land. Real nice progression from their first efforts (which were also good). Very ambitious, but still has a charming roughness around the edges. Subsequent albums, while impressive, got a little too carried away, imo.

Excellent stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #325 on: December 10, 2022, 09:44:30 AM »
Great Destrage album, I should revisit it, it's been a while. I tried to give their new record a listen but it wasn't for me.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #326 on: December 10, 2022, 09:45:07 AM »
That Destrage album is a wild ride, great album! :metal

Mabool is my first experience with Orphaned Land and while all the albums they released since have been good, nothing topped this one for me. Fantastic album!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: December 10, 2022, 10:05:30 AM »
You gave me an OL song in a roulette once (The Cave) and it scored quite well.  I do recall checking an album or two of theirs afterwards, but wasn't as impressed.  I shall give this one a genuine effort - but iirc, I need to be ready for the growls, yes?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #328 on: December 10, 2022, 10:07:15 AM »
My favorite Orphaned Land. Real nice progression from their first efforts (which were also good). Very ambitious, but still has a charming roughness around the edges. Subsequent albums, while impressive, got a little too carried away, imo.

Excellent stuff.

I think they pulled back to their original form in Unsung Prophets, but it still doesn't have the cohesiveness that Mabool does. They really nailed it on that one.

You gave me an OL song in a roulette once (The Cave) and it scored quite well.  I do recall checking an album or two of theirs afterwards, but wasn't as impressed.  I shall give this one a genuine effort - but iirc, I need to be ready for the growls, yes?

Yes, but Kobi's growls are a world apart from standard ones, you'll see. And I'd say it's maybe 20% if that.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #329 on: December 10, 2022, 10:10:49 AM »
Unsung Prophets is my favourite OL album, and I would probably put Mabool in second place.  I listened to Mabool just recently, and it really is high quality.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #330 on: December 10, 2022, 12:41:26 PM »
Someone sent me a Frost song in one of my roulettes. I thought it was really decent, but I never checked anything else out by them.

Same here, it was Dear Dead Days. I think it's my highest rated roulette song to date. I did check out some of their albums but nothing really stuck.

That Destrage album is easily their best, like it's not even close!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: December 10, 2022, 12:57:10 PM »

Same here, it was Dear Dead Days. I think it's my highest rated roulette song to date. I did check out some of their albums but nothing really stuck.

Top 3 Frost* song for me.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #332 on: December 10, 2022, 02:02:56 PM »
Mabool is a classic.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #333 on: December 10, 2022, 02:08:02 PM »

It really is great, nothing has hit me like that from the band since.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #334 on: December 10, 2022, 02:28:10 PM »

Luke, did you try anything from their first album (the one Lonestar posted)?

I personally have a soft spot for Falling Satellites too. Their latest, Day and Age, is also quite tasty. The title-track is a super-cool mix of The Police and 80s Genesis.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #335 on: December 10, 2022, 02:37:05 PM »

Luke, did you try anything from their first album (the one Lonestar posted)?

I personally have a soft spot for Falling Satellites too. Their latest, Day and Age, is also quite tasty. The title-track is a super-cool mix of The Police and 80s Genesis.

I've listened to all their albums, some more than others. Just checked my Last.fm though, and I've only actually listened to their debut once! Queued it up to give it another listen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: December 10, 2022, 03:25:30 PM »
Went back to my 3rd Roulette. Kingshmegland sent Black Light Machine in the Black/White Round.

It came in 2nd out of 12 songs for the Black side of the round.

Here's my writeup.. My First Impression is in italics..

Quote from: TAC
11. Kingshmegland..Frost - Black Light Machine

"Contains one of the best parts of the entire roulette, but this song will likely be in the bottom half."

So I hate the John Mayer vocals on this. Hate the style. Hate the production effects on them. Luckily, the music on this is absolutely phenomenal. The instrumental section that begins around 1:30 and goes for 4 minutes before the John Mayer comes back in is simply incredible. The guitar tone is ridiculous. Thankfully it's only another minute of vocals before the instrumentation kicks in, with the smoking guitar returning for the end.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #337 on: December 10, 2022, 03:30:41 PM »
RE: Orphaned Land
#20- Orphaned Land- Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven (2004)

Ocean Land- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf7i6UB5vGw

Halo Dies- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90xgxQR78wM

Both of these tracks are really good. Love the solo in Ocean Land.
I've sampled Orphaned Land before, and for some reason, I thought they had a middle Eastern influence, which I generally do NOT like in my music. (Oddly one of my Top 10 albums of 2022 has it in spades).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #338 on: December 10, 2022, 05:09:19 PM »
Moving on...

#19- Headspace- I Am Anonymous

This one kept appearing on DTF, and I took a chance even before I knew it had the name Wakeman attached to it. I'll credit this one, along with Threshold's March of Progress, for fueling my love for Damian Wilson. This album is an absolute prog metal monster, that fires on all cylinders, in all the right places. There are literally no flaws in my eyes here, and the highs are so tremendously high it aches, and while they were able to follow up with an almost equally strong second album in All That You Fear is Gone, the epic track of Daddy Fucking Loves You puts this one in the front. The intro/outro soft lullaby by Wilson, serves as bookends to one of the best tracks I've ever heard. Just perfect.

Favorite Tracks- Stalled Armageddon, Fall of America, Die With a Bullet, Daddy Fucking Loves You

Daddy Fucking Loves You- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJtD2OYB4O8

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #19
« Reply #339 on: December 10, 2022, 05:28:37 PM »
So, first off, this is a monster album. Musically, conceptually. Top shelf.

Two things undermined its stayong power for me.
First and most obvious...Damian Wilson. Sorry, I can't stand his voice.
Second is Daddy Fucking Loves You.. My kids were 9 & 11 when this came out. This song was just too gut wrenching to listen to.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #340 on: December 10, 2022, 05:33:00 PM »
Still baffled about people who can't stand his voice.

As to Daddy Fucking Loves You...it is gut wrenching, and for me it's Wilson's voice that makes it so. He handles the emotional heaviness of the track so perfectly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #341 on: December 10, 2022, 05:34:06 PM »
Still baffled about people who can't stand his voice.

As to Daddy Fucking Loves You...it is gut wrenching, and for me it's Wilson's voice that makes it so. He handles the emotional heaviness of the track so perfectly.

:neverusethis:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #342 on: December 10, 2022, 05:35:24 PM »
Oh you.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #343 on: December 10, 2022, 06:49:44 PM »
Nice choice. I Am Anonymous was my album of the year in whatever year it was released. 2012?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: December 11, 2022, 05:41:38 AM »
I know what I'm spinning next this morning (just wrapping up Mabool - not bad at all... but I don't see myself coming back to it).

Again, I didn't have the ear-boner a lot did around here for this album - I think because March Of Progress came out the same year, and that got a lot of airplay for me, and was my 'go-to' album with Damian fronting it.  It's been a while since I spun it, so we'll see how it ages.  But I tell you this, Soldier gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it.  I've used it a few times in roulettes.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #345 on: December 11, 2022, 06:33:51 AM »
#18- Senri Kawaguchi- Dynamogenic (2020)

Definitely the most unique offering on the list, and the only one way outside the general rock arena. I came across Senri when she was about 14, and a friend shared a video of hers, and immediately I knew I had come across someone very, very special.  It's been a joy to watch this young prodigy grow into one of the premiere jazz drummers in the world, and very few have the smooth chops that she does. (if Kev does a top drummer list, she'll easily make my top five). While this offering is more a body of work choice, this album is her at her most mature, and has a huge variety of songs from frantic paced jazz fusion to ones that are absolutely sublime.

Favorite Tracks- Raging Spur, Turn Right, Blessed Rain After the Drought

Raging Spur- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xdzU0abn38

Turn Right- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbrNgrQynG8

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #18
« Reply #346 on: December 11, 2022, 06:37:42 AM »

Online Mladen

« Reply #347 on: December 11, 2022, 06:45:17 AM »
I'm a bit late, but some really cool stuff in here. Following.  :tup

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #348 on: December 11, 2022, 11:12:29 AM »
I'm a bit late, but some really cool stuff in here. Following.  :tup

Second post in the thread has the list so far.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #349 on: December 11, 2022, 06:17:26 PM »
I'm way too swamped with roulette listening to catch up on the material I haven't heard at this point, so I'll just comment on what I've already heard.  I'm not sure I've heard any BTBAM albums past Colors, other than the sequel last year.  I dug the first few, but kind of got tired of them around the time they were really starting to blow up.  Colors II didn't really help.  I'm sure if I listened to it or the other more recent ones a dozen times I would probably like them lot more, but I just haven't been motivated to spend that kind of time with them again.  Mabool is legendary, quite rightly so, but I haven't heard it in a fair while, so it could use a fresh listen at some point.  I'm pretty sure I listened to an album or two of Frost's, but don't recall which one, and it was a long time ago, so I don't remember them.  I love Damian Wilson, so of course Headspace is delightful.  I haven't listened to any of Senri's albums, but the clips of her playing I've seen on Youtube have been quite impressive. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 06:24:41 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »