Author Topic: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #1!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16282 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #31
« Reply #245 on: December 02, 2022, 06:21:00 PM »
#30 Maestrick- Unpuzzle! (2011)

This is another one discovered through random searching, I think on Spotify but I could be wrong. This is a colorful prog metal band from Brazil, with a certain flare for the dramatic. They almost have a sideshow/circus appeal to them, and it's not just for this album, they carry it to the next which has a distinctly different theme, but Unpuzzle was definitely the stronger of the two. Musicians are competent throughout, with a special nod to the bass finally being up front in a prog metal album, and a tremendous vocal performance. I'd say, think of prog metal meets Disney kind of feel, everything is positive, even the darker songs, but it's all really catchy making for an overall damn good album. There was a good 6 months to a year where this one didn't leave my ears often, and it still holds up when I revisit it.

(this is also one of my all time favorite album covers)

Favorite Tracks- H.U.C., Aquarela, Disturbia, Treasures of the World, Lake of Emotion

H.U.C.- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqiTl1SpYQs&ab_channel=Maestrick

Aquarela- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=214gWni_p8o

Offline Zoom E

Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #30
« Reply #246 on: December 02, 2022, 07:53:04 PM »
I’ll definitely check out more of Maestrick based on those 2 videos. Very cool.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #247 on: December 02, 2022, 08:10:35 PM »
I’ll definitely check out more of Maestrick based on those 2 videos. Very cool.

Awesome, glad you liked it. Their second album is pretty solid too, it's the first of a two album concept project, still waiting on part 2.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2022, 08:16:37 PM »
Never heard of them.  I'll spin this tomorrow!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #249 on: December 02, 2022, 08:18:14 PM »
I'll catch up this weekend.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2022, 08:27:05 PM »

Seriously? I never pimped this one to you? I think you'll dig it,Jingle did for sure.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #251 on: December 03, 2022, 05:41:25 AM »

Seriously? I never pimped this one to you? I think you'll dig it,Jingle did for sure.

Oh hell yeah he did.  Lake of Emotions is a god-tier epic/closer.  And Puzzler is just so much god damn fun - Vaudeville-metal!!!  :2metal:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #252 on: December 03, 2022, 05:43:56 AM »
Ah.. Vaudeville metal, such a perfect way to describe it. I was trying to zero in on that and couldn't. Good looking out bro!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: December 03, 2022, 06:17:07 AM »
Ah.. Vaudeville metal, such a perfect way to describe it. I was trying to zero in on that and couldn't. Good looking out bro!

I got ya, Boo.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #254 on: December 03, 2022, 07:32:15 AM »
#29 BAND-MAID- Unseen World (2021)

Alright, the first of a few offerings from the world of all female Japanese metal. BAND-MAID is a bit more of a recent dive for me, only really digging in once I committed to seeing their SF show last month. I'm familiar with their work from 2019 on, but there's a few albums from before then that are really piquing my interest, and may take over this one as my favorite. Now, let's just get the obvious out of the way...yes, they're cute as hell...and yes, they're all wearing some form of Japanese Maid Cafe outfits. Having said that, you'd be hard pressed to find a harder rocking, tighter, more polished band around. These girls kick all sorts of ass. The core of the band, guitarist Kanami, bassist Misa and drummer Akane are ridiculously talented. Front woman Saiki  has a huge voice, and dynamic presence. Their live shows are like their music, relentless, a nearly 2 hour affair of almost 20 songs, all in total command of their music and the crowd. The band's recent gimmick is seeking 'World Domination', and after seeing their show and digging into their discography, they absolutely can do it. This band is that fucking good.

Favorite Tracks- Warning!, No God, Sayonakidori, I Still Seek Revenge

Warning!- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yD3IqrLtPk&ab_channel=BAND-MAID

I Still Seek Revenge- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0xsEwtKUkQ&ab_channel=BAND-MAID-Topic

And just because I adore this one so damn much...

Sayonakidori (acoustic version)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzAQigaL14&ab_channel=BAND-MAID

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #29
« Reply #255 on: December 03, 2022, 07:01:35 PM »
No bites on BAND-MAID I guess, let's post another since it's the weekend. I'd honestly like to get this done by Christmas, and next week will be thin as I'm busy as fuck at work.

#28- Absolute Priority- Hunter (2012)

I think I found this one randomly searching the webs, and man am I glad I did. A one shot album for this Italian prog metal outfit, I was utterly floored with how mature their work was for being their first album, and equally bummed that it was their last. Hunter is a concept album about a serial killer on death row. Throughout the album he is reflecting on where he is, his past, his driving forces, and ultimately his base humanity. This album really fires on all cylinders. It has balanced the riffage without falling into the prog metal trope of 'more notes=better songs', this one is structured beginning to end with purpose. The real highlight is how the album builds to one of the best climaxes, as in the last track, the killer is executed in the electric chair in amazingly dramatic musical fashion. Just a great work for anyone who digs well done prog metal concept albums (which is about 90% of the forum)

Favorite Tracks- The Confessor, 4:00 A.M., Bloody Tapes, Fear of the Night, Dead Man Walkin'

The Confessor- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjxYXhYATvI&list=OLAK5uy_kjWRgpIr4jvW1PG7xglBzuqAdg_JLzKdE&ab_channel=AbsolutePriority-Topic

Fear of the Night- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B43_la560U&ab_channel=AbsolutePriority-Topic

Dead Man Walkin'- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FhOdT0w5nU&list=OLAK5uy_kjWRgpIr4jvW1PG7xglBzuqAdg_JLzKdE&index=11&ab_channel=AbsolutePriority-Topic

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #28
« Reply #256 on: December 03, 2022, 08:28:49 PM »
Another beaut that is right up my alley. And Dead Man Walk-in is easily a top 10 album closer of all time for me. Maybe top 5 if I had to really think about it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2022, 08:43:52 PM »
Another beaut that is right up my alley. And Dead Man Walk-in is easily a top 10 album closer of all time for me. Maybe top 5 if I had to really think about it.

Yeah, we're going to be hitting a lot of common ground in the next ten or so offerings.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: December 03, 2022, 08:45:47 PM »
Absolute Priority is an awesome album!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2022, 08:53:49 PM »
Band-Maid is definitely interesting, certainly a lot of talent there.  I can't quite figure out what the disconnect is though, most of the bands like that are fun for a listen, but I don't wind up being drawn back to them, not sure why.  I'll check out the videos and see if that changes things, but they seemed overly gimmicky when I watched a couple in the past few years. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 09:25:10 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2022, 09:04:58 PM »
Band-Maid is definitely interesting, certainly a lot of talent there.  I can't quite figure out what the disconnect is though, most of the bands like that are fun for a listen, but I don't wind up being drawn back to them, not sure why.  I'll check out the videos and see if that changes things, but they seemed overly gimmicky when I watch a couple in the past few years.

They started with the gimmick, but they had the talent to draw it out enough. Very, very few of those bands have the lasting power that they have, approaching ten years now.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2022, 09:11:03 PM »
Have you heard this one?  I stumbled upon it randomly last year and found it pretty cool. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQIDqudG_DQ

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2022, 09:22:13 PM »
Have you heard this one?  I stumbled upon it randomly last year and found it pretty cool. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQIDqudG_DQ

Bridear is good stuff, still haven't done the deep dive yet, but what I've heard is very promising. The J-metal rabbit hole is really deep, so many bands, so little time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #27
« Reply #263 on: December 04, 2022, 10:53:03 AM »
#27- Periphery- Periphery III- Select Difficulty (2016)

Ahh Periphery...though I credit Ocean Architecture with breaking the seal on my love for growl vocals, most of the heavy lifting per se was done by Spencer Sotelo of Periphery, an absolutely tremendous vocalist (worthy of a spot on my personal top 25 though he won't sniff the actual final list) fronting a tremendous band. I first fell for them on a recommendation by Nem (Obscure) to go see the Periphery/Sikth show passing through town, and I had free time and trusted her opinion so what the hell I went. She was a hardcore Sikth fan and didn't want me to miss the chance to see them, but the real end result of this one was me being absolutely floored by Periphery. A full frontal aggressive d'jent attach with one of the most impressive live vocal performances I've ever seen. Spencer was flawless as he drifted from his brutal growls to epic power cleans, just unbelievable. As I dug in further, they released III, and that album spent a solid year at the front of my rotation in my car. While Hail Stan sniffed my AOTY rankings when it was released, III is still my favorite from these guys, and well worth the spot on my list, and a few minutes of your time to check them out if you're unfamiliar.

Favorite Tracks- The Price is Wrong, Marigold, The Way the News Goes..., Catch Fire, Lune

Marigold- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtU2WJfPgU&ab_channel=SumerianRecords

The Way the News Goes- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGLuKRVX-J4&ab_channel=SumerianRecords

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: December 04, 2022, 11:40:23 AM »

Yeah, we're going to be hitting a lot of common ground in the next ten or so offerings.

Periphery ....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #265 on: December 04, 2022, 11:41:35 AM »

Periphery ....

I said a lot, not all.. Jfc man..

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: December 04, 2022, 11:47:38 AM »
I know, I know.  Wait until I do my next Top 50, you can poke back.  That gif just got me giggling too much.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #267 on: December 04, 2022, 11:50:19 AM »
I know, I know.  Wait until I do my next Top 50, you can poke back.  That gif just got me giggling too much.

It was a quality gif usage moment my friend

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2022, 12:59:57 PM »
Huh, that was the Periphery album where the band lost me. I liked pretty much everything they did up to that point.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2022, 01:11:42 PM »
:dunno:

@jingle...just looking at my list, and 4 of the next 5 would be in the discussion for your list as well.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2022, 02:38:58 PM »
:caffeine:

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2022, 02:40:48 PM »
Periphery has lots of really cool ideas instrumentally, and Spencer is definitely highly skilled, but I just can't stand the timbre of his voice. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2022, 02:41:45 PM »
I couldn't stand the vocals when I checked them out years ago. I'll check out the linked tracks though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2022, 03:18:03 PM »
I liked each release from Periphery less and less.  I think I stopped after this one.  Maybe I need a revisit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2022, 09:18:26 PM »
Moving right along...

#26- Mystery- The World is a Game (2012)

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Jingle will try to claim he turned me on to Mystery, but he'd be wrong. I found them via their vocalist Benoit David, who at the time was singing for Yes, and as I was on my massive musical exploration of the era, I came across Mystery. Just about that time, we received this album as a promo for review at Lady Obscure, and I snatched it up. I was hooked immediately. Airy, guitar focused prog done so, so well, with a serious emotional lyrical element that just dug right to my core. Keep in mind, I was deep in recovery at this time, and was going through massive emotional growth, change, and healing, and this album did a great deal towards assuaging the pain of that process. And musically, it's a work of absolute beauty, ethereal tones layered upon each other creating a stunning wall of sound. Prog fans unfamiliar, especially those of the classic 70s prog sound, definitely dig into this one.

Favorite Tracks- Pride, The World is a Game, Dear Someone, Another Day

Pride- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH9bgfpY0so&ab_channel=mulver64

Dear Someone- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVoRiGjqdTM&ab_channel=tsplhitov80

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #26
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2022, 06:17:28 AM »
Those two links are all very pretty, symphonic, and heart-felt... but do they have any songs that ROCK?! For me, that's an important element.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2022, 07:10:08 AM »
This was my introduction to Mystery as well. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2022, 07:11:36 AM »
Moving right along...

#26- Mystery- The World is a Game (2012)

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Jingle will try to claim he turned me on to Mystery, but he'd be wrong.

:umno:

You'd be out some dough :neverusethis:  I'm pretty sure it was actually YOU that introduced them to ME (if not you, then Doc).  And God bless you for doing so. Top 10 band of mine now.

@ Gregg... there's definitely some rocking in their inventory.  This album is a little more mellow than others, but if these songs aren't your thing, there's not gonna be a ton to their inventory that will tickle you.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2022, 07:16:44 AM »
Did I? Could've sworn you found them independently, them being Canadian and all.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2022, 07:18:49 AM »
Did I? Could've sworn you found them independently, them being Canadian and all.

Definitely didn't find them on my own - it was either you or Doc.  And it was Pride/this album specifically... which is why I'm certain it was you.