Author Topic: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #1!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16435 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #6
« Reply #455 on: December 20, 2022, 08:08:21 AM »
I'm going to check out that Anathema album later, I've never heard them before.

I bet you'll love it Håkan . 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: December 20, 2022, 08:10:16 AM »
I've heard about them over the years on DTF, but never took the time to give them a listen.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #457 on: December 20, 2022, 07:23:46 PM »
#5- TesseracT- Altered State (2013)

Hot damn...top 5 already? It should be noted, an argument in my head and heart can be made for any of these albums taking the top spot, they've all played such a crucial role in my musical life since their discovery. Altered State I received as a promo for Lady Obscure. I had heard of them of here, but never gave them a listen until I got this promo. Needless to say, this one blew my doors off, and even on my spin in preparation for this write up, it still does. Such a perfectly crafted album, centered around the brilliant vocal stylings of Ashe O'Hara. Twice in the top 11, I think that alone speaks to how much I love his voice, the only other singer to even appear twice on this list was Mr Damian Wilson. I think this album, above any other on my list, creates a perfect balance with being heavy and emotive, choosing its moments for each with absolute perfection. While I deeply adore most of TesseracT's work, especially Concealing Fate, Altered State will always be my first love from them, and well worth it.

Favorite Tracks- All of them

Of Matter- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-hnSlicxV4

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #5
« Reply #458 on: December 20, 2022, 08:51:37 PM »
One and Tompkins do it more for me, but it's still a fantastic album.  "Nocturne" is easily one of their best songs. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #459 on: December 20, 2022, 09:05:21 PM »
I think Sonder is probably my favorite Tesseract album, even though it's so short.  Polaris next, but Altered State is also incredible.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #460 on: December 20, 2022, 10:07:05 PM »
I'm on record already in saying that seeing all of Of Matter is a top ten concert moment for me(albeit with Thompkins, was a bit late to the party for Ashe)...and I've seen a shit ton of unbelievable concert moments.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #461 on: December 21, 2022, 05:41:18 PM »
#4- Speaking to Stones- Elements (2012)

DT aside, I think this album is the pinnacle of what classic prog metal is capable of. I believe this was in an ad package with another album I received as a promo. The other album was good, this was on first listen one of the best I'd heard. Huge vocals, massive riffs, complex instrumental work, all tied around a heady emotional concept, this one has everything we who love prog metal love it for. Just five songs, one for each element, and one for the unity of them all. A massive epic ballad, sandwiched between two even more massive epic hard tracks, bookended by a powerful intro and outro track. Spun this one relentlessly, and still spin it often today.

Favorite Tracks- The whole fucking album man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV87ZJTKpHI&ab_channel=MrMarcoSix

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #4
« Reply #462 on: December 21, 2022, 05:51:51 PM »

It's been a while since I clicked play on this one.  I shall rectify that tomorrow morning.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #463 on: December 21, 2022, 05:55:23 PM »

It's been a while since I clicked play on this one.  I shall rectify that tomorrow morning.

You got plenty of time...the top three will hold zero interest for you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: December 21, 2022, 06:05:23 PM »
The interesting thing would be if I could guess the other 2.  Full on growls I'm assuming.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #465 on: December 21, 2022, 06:12:48 PM »
The interesting thing would be if I could guess the other 2.  Full on growls I'm assuming.

Message me your guesses

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #466 on: December 21, 2022, 06:56:04 PM »
About TesseracT, I think the only song I really liked from Altered State was the one with the sax ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #467 on: December 21, 2022, 07:58:44 PM »

I literally listened to this about 3 weeks ago. This is a great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #468 on: December 22, 2022, 10:13:10 AM »
I've been less active in this thread than a eunuch at an orgy, but so many great albums, especially the:

Thoughts Factory
Pyramid Theorem
Headspace
Porcupine Tree
Amorphis
Caligula's Horse
Steven Wilson
Anathema
TesseracT

I have a lot of new stuff to check out.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #469 on: December 22, 2022, 04:42:08 PM »
#3- Allegaeon- Apoptosis (2018)

If it wasn't for IQ releasing a double album this year, this would've been hands down my album of the year, and I still had to think about putting it above my all time favorite band. I think Allegaeon is the one artist on this list who I didn't either discover through self searching, here, or via any other internet means. They were actually suggested to me by a friend in recovery, and on a whim I took a chance on his suggestion and have forever been in his debt since. Without a doubt one of my top three bands I've discovered in the past decade (#2 and #1 to follow of course) and honestly they're fairly interchangeable. For those unfamiliar, Allegaeon is a tech death metal band, with some clean but mostly harsh vocals by the immensely talented Riley McShane, and the backbone being the insane guitar stylings of Greg Burgess (see Nuclear Power Trio). These guys seriously put the tech in tech death metal, underneath all the fury is some of the most technically skilled musical execution I've ever heard. Between speed, style, and soul, they really have a unique touch to the genre, I'd imagine a good deal of that because of Burgess' classical training. I'd imagine in time, their 2022 release Damnum will surpass this album as a favorite, it's such a tremendous work, but for now, Apoptosis gets the nod. I've been familiar with this band for a bit over 5 years, and have now seen them live 5 times (that's with 2 years of no shows mind you), and have zero intentions of ever missing them play here again.

Favorite Tracks- Just dive in kids...the water's safe...trust me...

Extremophiles- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7FFhmmrzE&list=OLAK5uy_khi9mjJCeNysXYrLPQULiy3tTBSDv4Cgk&index=3&ab_channel=MetalBladeRecords

Tsunami and Submergence- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmJzvvI1g4&ab_channel=Allegaeon-Topic

Apoptosis- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plvsV_J4WHM&t=6s

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #3
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2022, 04:46:19 PM »
I listened to Elements today, man I forgot how good it is. Anders Engberg is a vocal gem.  This album got me in to a bunch of his other acts - Section A, and little bit of Sorcerer.  Too bad he didn't stick around for this year's release; I think I would've enjoyed it more if he was on the mic.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2022, 04:56:08 PM »
So very true...I was bummed to learn they switched singers for the new one.

No comment on Allegaeon? You might actually like Tsunami and Submergence, give it a click man.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: December 22, 2022, 06:58:43 PM »

No comment on Allegaeon? You might actually like Tsunami and Submergence, give it a click man.

Yes, I'd love a comment from Chad on these guys.  :lol

I've heard a couple of songs, solid.  Need to dive deeper I guess as what I heard didn't hook me right away.  This rating so high is enticing however.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #473 on: December 22, 2022, 09:44:38 PM »

Yes, I'd love a comment from Chad on these guys.  :lol

I've heard a couple of songs, solid.  Need to dive deeper I guess as what I heard didn't hook me right away.  This rating so high is enticing however.

If you go further back into their discography, they get more technical, while the follow up Damnum is more melodic..but still heavy as fuck.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #474 on: December 22, 2022, 10:13:38 PM »
I discovered this band in a Lonestar post a while back.  This album kicks it the whole time except for a beautiful acoustic song about two thirds thru the album.  I also like the new album Damnum and still play the earlier album Proponent for Sentience a lot.  I love the Rush cover Subdivisions on the Proponent album.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: December 22, 2022, 11:21:27 PM »
I really like this album and the current one. I really love their covers with their version of Roundabout being my favorite.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #476 on: December 23, 2022, 07:19:45 AM »
I really like this album and the current one. I really love their covers with their version of Roundabout being my favorite.

The Roundabout cover is #5 on my annual Spotify listening stats. Such a great version, love the substitution of the second guitar for the keys.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #477 on: December 23, 2022, 07:40:23 AM »
Ok, gonna bust out #2 now, cause I'm travelling after work and doing family stuff tonight.

#2- Nemophila- Revive (2021)

Anyone who I'm connected with on any social media platform is not surprised by this band being here, or this high. They've been my obsession ever since I found them in late 2020. Discovered them via a video of Senri Kawaguchi and Nemophila drummer Tamu, liked what I saw of her and went searching. First thing that comes up are some DT covers she did (TGP, PA, and TDoE) which raised my eyebrows of course, but I eventually came across the video for their single Raitei, and my life changed forever in one click. Here was a duel guitar band with a vicious rhythm section and a lead singer with a unique voice  who seamlessly went from clean to growls. They really dug into me though with their covers...keep in mind, this was the darkest part of the pandemic, the period between nationwide race riots and an attack on the US Capitol, all with the background of a daily death toll that kept climbing and climbing, but, every Friday like clockwork, these 5 adorably charming and extremely talented girls from Japan put out a new cover video without fail, covering the whole spectrum of musical styles from hard metal to J-pop. I can honestly say that for about 6 months, those Friday releases were easily the highlight of my week, they gave a slimmer of hope that there was a bright light at the end of all this, that life was still meant to be enjoyed. Just a sample of not only their covers but their personalities is best in this Separate Ways cover... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fawKq5TUYPo

Their style? It's a wonderful blend of hard rock, metal, and metal core. Revive is a spectrum of them fleshing out their sound and their 'Fluffy band from hell' style, with songs that range from ripper metal tracks to glorious anthems to what is likely to become my favorite ballad of all time. And as I said in my Gacharic Spin write up, they're having a blast doing it, the joy is palpable and contageous. Also, they're tremendously humble, always grateful and expressive of a desire to work harder and harder for their fans. If it sounds like I'm gushing, I am. Just love everything about this band, and can't wait for back to back shows in March.

I should note... my whole deep dive into the realms of Japanese metal started with this band, the blast radius of me coming across Nemophila is massive, and very, very kuwaii.

Favorite Tracks- Might as well ask me to ask me to choose my favorite child.

Raitei- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh-dVLKP314

Revive- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmRmVc4u18w

Life- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFnEYhbEAqg

Oiran (live)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19VQ9tkWksQ

« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 07:54:45 AM by lonestar »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #2
« Reply #478 on: December 23, 2022, 08:08:34 AM »
Is it wrong that I'm kinda turned on after watching these videos? I'm so confused...
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #479 on: December 23, 2022, 08:12:56 AM »
Is it wrong that I'm kinda turned on after watching these videos? I'm so confused...

Why would it be wrong? They're attractive, exceptionally talented women kicking ass and melting faces. Seems as good a turn on as any in a world where some people can make 6 figure incomes selling feet pics.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: December 23, 2022, 01:17:47 PM »

The Roundabout cover is #5 on my annual Spotify listening stats. Such a great version, love the substitution of the second guitar for the keys.

Just had to poke in here and give this a shoutout.  One of the best covers of any song, ever.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: December 23, 2022, 02:08:18 PM »

Just had to poke in here and give this a shoutout.  One of the best covers of any song, ever.

Jingle speaks the truth.....

https://youtu.be/73WTnRa0d6M

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: December 23, 2022, 03:40:18 PM »
Alright Cheffy... I just dropped the digital needle on Apoptosis.  Music is starting out really good.  Don't make me rage on you.

Awaiting the vox ....

le sigh.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #483 on: December 23, 2022, 04:29:28 PM »
Alright Cheffy... I just dropped the digital needle on Apoptosis.  Music is starting out really good.  Don't make me rage on you.

Awaiting the vox ....

le sigh.

Did you spin a random Apoptosis song, or specifically Tsunami and Submergence like I said? Cause the rest of it is a firm no go for ya.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: December 23, 2022, 04:31:04 PM »

Awaiting the vox ....

le sigh.

Did you spin a random Apoptosis song, or specifically Tsunami and Submergence like I said? Cause the rest of it is a firm no go for ya.

I pressed play on the album.  I stopped before getting to Tsunami and Submergence (it was dinnertime).  Playing it now.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #485 on: December 23, 2022, 04:35:16 PM »
 :rollin

Yeah, the rest of it is definitely not your cup of tea  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: December 23, 2022, 04:37:05 PM »
:rollin

Yeah, the rest of it is definitely not your cup of tea  :lol

I'm not sure this tune is my cup of tea!  Good music, but still too much growlie that doesn't work for me.  I tried.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #487 on: December 23, 2022, 04:51:15 PM »
That's all we can do my friend. Riley's growls are very distinctive too, I'd imagine it's polarizing, either love it or not. Curious to see what happens now that he left and they went back to the original singer, his growls are solid but he doesn't have half the clean skills Riley does.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: December 23, 2022, 09:32:48 PM »
Okay, I just listened to Apoptosis in full and it was really enjoyable.  I get old school Scar Symmetry vibes and it held my attention all the way through.  Some stunning guitar work on here too, really tasty and melodic at times.  I love the vocals, not gonna lie.  Will have to look more into them, right up my alley.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #489 on: December 23, 2022, 10:20:40 PM »
Okay, I just listened to Apoptosis in full and it was really enjoyable.  I get old school Scar Symmetry vibes and it held my attention all the way through.  Some stunning guitar work on here too, really tasty and melodic at times.  I love the vocals, not gonna lie.  Will have to look more into them, right up my alley.

Nice man, glad you liked it. Greg Burgess is an absolute monster on guitar, definitely a current favorite player of mine. And the other guitarist Michael Stancel is pretty much just as good.