Author Topic: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #1!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16628 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #13
« Reply #385 on: December 15, 2022, 05:04:47 PM »
I was about to chastise you for rating this too low ... but then I checked how I have it rated in my upcoming list of top concept albums, and I've rated it slightly lower.  So, you nailed it!   :lol  I will say this, it was my album of the year for 2018, and Deathless was my song of the year.  Beyond God-tier.  Like, Cosmic Idol-tier.

My AOTY as well, though song of the year was Voice of Trespass, 2018 was loaded. I always look at the rankings wondering if I rated them too low, then I look at what's coming and realize it's as high as it can be.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: December 15, 2022, 09:13:54 PM »
I have this, probably on the recommendation of someone here. I have only listened to it once or twice, and at work or driving. Been meaning to give it a good, undisturbed listen, just never got around to it.

Only album so far I own. Enjoyed Fear of a Blank Planet, easily my favorite PT album I've heard (which isn't all of them). I saw them live on that tour. Great show.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: December 15, 2022, 11:41:11 PM »
Bern following from afar ad did not have anythig to cotribute.

I read earlier something about albm of the year 2018 and I immeiately thought of The Room.

Such an amazing album. On paper it is almost too much but woven together as a piece it is a masterpiece.

I was a bit late to the party. I think I found out about it from here or pssiby from Prog Magazine and was immediately floored by it. Had to order the CD from somewhere overseas and it ws expensive but well worth it.

The follow up is definiteley my most anticipated album in a long while.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #388 on: December 16, 2022, 02:35:00 AM »
The Room is a cool fucking album. Deathless is easily my highlight, what a song!

Offline emtee

« Reply #389 on: December 16, 2022, 05:36:59 AM »
Trying to guess how many IQ albums in the top 10 😀

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: December 16, 2022, 05:38:07 AM »
I'm guessing The Seventh House and The Road Of Bones.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #391 on: December 16, 2022, 05:43:58 AM »
Trying to guess how many IQ albums in the top 10 😀

None... No artists from my first top 50 are in this one.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #392 on: December 16, 2022, 11:18:54 AM »
#12- Caligula's Horse- In contact

Dug into these guys when they were announced for Prog Power, and an eventual US tour (that got cancelled boo covid), and once I heard Will's Song I was hooked. Once I heard Graves....just man...that song... Graves is #3 on my all time Spotify listening list (more on #2 and #1 on tomorrow's offering), I think that alone says how much I adore this track. (I should note, a great deal of my listening, especially from bands that are before my spotify era, I still listen to from my own files, that's why IQ/Marillion/DT/etc won't appear on said stats). This album has everything I want from a prog metal album...killer riffage, gut wrenching emotive segments, brutally intricate instrumental, and all with that little sharp d'jent-like guitar tone I've come to really love these past few years. Add to that an extremely solid vocalist with soul crushing lyrics...yeah this one is seriously up my alley. I eagerly await a full US tour to be attached to their appearance at PPUSA this year(along with Kamelot/Myrath), and will be first in line for that show.

Favorite Tracks- Will's Song, Songs for No One, Graves

Graves- https://youtu.be/9PSjuLMffV0

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #393 on: December 16, 2022, 11:20:02 AM »
Excellent one, though I must say I prefer Bloom and TTTTARE over this one.
Graves though, is superb and could well be their best track.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lethean

Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #12
« Reply #394 on: December 16, 2022, 11:42:49 AM »
In Contact is a phenomenal album.

"We reach for the night like we are old light falling to Earth"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: December 16, 2022, 11:46:57 AM »
Only have Rise Radiant of them so far. Likiing it but not too much. Love the cover of Don't Give up with Lyndsey Ward fro Exploring Birdsong. But then I'm a huge fan of EB.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #396 on: December 16, 2022, 11:55:27 AM »

I always listen to the album as I'm doing these post, and that was the line that stuck in my head.  :heart

Offline Lethean

« Reply #397 on: December 16, 2022, 12:24:24 PM »

I always listen to the album as I'm doing these post, and that was the line that stuck in my head.  :heart
If Kev does a favorite lyricists countdown, Jim Grey will certainly be on my list.

Are you coming to ProgPower next year?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #398 on: December 16, 2022, 01:07:26 PM »

If Kev does a favorite lyricists countdown, Jim Grey will certainly be on my list.

Are you coming to ProgPower next year?

Nah, though this lineup was pretty close to getting me there, between Caligula's, Myrath and Kamelot.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #399 on: December 16, 2022, 01:10:23 PM »
I really like this album, but I prefer The Tide, the thief and river's end. I also thought Rise radiant was a more consistent listen, but then again, In contact does have higher highs.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #400 on: December 16, 2022, 02:36:01 PM »
I really like this album, but I prefer The Tide, the thief and river's end. I also thought Rise radiant was a more consistent listen, but then again, In contact does have higher highs.

For me, Graves pushes it into that top spot, such an amazing song.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #401 on: December 16, 2022, 02:46:47 PM »
#11- Voices from the Fuselage- Odyssey: The Destroyer of Worlds (2015)

Found this one via lead singer Ashe O'Hara. After the release of the tremendous Tesseract album, and the heartbreak that it'd be the only one with him on lead vocals (nothing against Thompkins), I saw him post on FB about this upcoming release, and marked the date. Upon one spin, I was all in on this ethereal prog metal masterpiece. While being centered in the concept, and with a canvas of said prog metal, musically they diverge to other areas, with a certain focus on some very tasteful electronica, all with the absolutely insane vocal work of O'hara. He is whispy, powerful, emotive, and moving, all done to perfection. Just one spin of Meteorites will convince most any DTFer of this album's veracity, and it's worthiness on this list and almost cracking my top ten.

Favorite Tracks- Inner Child, Meteorites, A Principle God, Astral Existence

Meteorites- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnyv0QYJpe0&ab_channel=VoicesFromTheFuselage-Topic

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #11
« Reply #402 on: December 16, 2022, 04:59:30 PM »
I always feel like the odd one out in preferring Tompkins, but Ashe is great as well, and both VFtF albums are evidence of that. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #403 on: December 16, 2022, 05:15:54 PM »

The melodies on that song are just otherworldly! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

« Reply #404 on: December 16, 2022, 05:32:12 PM »
I always feel like the odd one out in preferring Tompkins, but Ashe is great as well, and both VFtF albums are evidence of that.

I prefer Daniel Tompkins as well, but like them both just fine on the albums.  Live it's Daniel Tompkins hands down.  Maybe he wasn't having a good tour, but Ashe wasn't so great when I saw them open for Katatonia.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #405 on: December 16, 2022, 05:32:38 PM »

The melodies on that song are just otherworldly! :metal

Yes they are  :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #406 on: December 16, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »

I prefer Daniel Tompkins as well, but like them both just fine on the albums.  Live it's Daniel Tompkins hands down.  Maybe he wasn't having a good tour, but Ashe wasn't so great when I saw them open for Katatonia.

Never had the pleasure of seeing Ashe live so I can't speak to that. I think they both have there benefits, and bring different elements to the table. I can't see Ashe doing Concealing Fate.. And while Daniel did a solid job with Of Matter I'd love to see Ashe's treatment. Think we're blessed to have had both grace Tesseract's music tbh... But more on that later in the list  ;)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #407 on: December 17, 2022, 03:43:51 AM »
Going back to In Contact I just want to say, Holy shit are you right about Graves! It is such an incredible sing and easily my favourite Caligula's Horse song.

I've only seen them once, back in 2017 or 2018. They criminally played in a tiny bowling alley, in front of no more than 100  people, probably less than that. The whole set I was praying they closed with Graves, and sure enough they did. Thinking back actually, it may be a top 20 all time gif moment. Don't think I've spun the album in a while, need to get on that.

I was unfortunately really underwhelmed by their latest.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #408 on: December 17, 2022, 06:21:02 AM »
Ok, how about we get the top ten rolling...and man are they ten amazing albums (though Jingle will be bummed since he's only into two of them lol)

#10- Anciients- Voice of the Void (2016)

I'll preface this one by saying this is probably the heaviest album on my list. I stumbled across this Vancouver progressive sludge metal band's first album through random searching, and enjoyed it thoroughly, so was definitely ready for their second. What I wasn't ready for was for it to be one of the most addictive, and heavy albums I'd ever heard. Not heavy in being loud, or fast, or loaded with over the top unintelligible growls, Anciients is constructed, pointed and really fucking dark. Each song takes its time to really put the listener in a position of submission, long heavy notes, perfectly executed repeating sections that build in tension and intensity, all leading to insane releases that can hardly be believed. On his clean vox, the singer to me at least channels a coherent and young Ozzy, and on his growls, he sounds like he's being ripped straight into the darkness, so perfectly fitting for their song style. The methodical style to their songs are really unique, and the only real complaint I have is that they've waited six years to come up with a follow up album, but they have hinted that next year might be the year it finally comes.

Favorite Tracks- Following the Voice, Buried in Sand, Ibex Eye, My Home My Gallows, Incantations

Ibex Eye- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPlVVqbkiJ8&ab_channel=SeasonofMist

Buried in Sand- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsnRJxfIXwc&ab_channel=SeasonofMist

Offline twosuitsluke

Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - INTO THE TOP TEN!!!
« Reply #409 on: December 17, 2022, 06:24:24 AM »
Yep, this is a great album, serious Opeth vibes

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #410 on: December 17, 2022, 06:26:07 AM »

Then why can't I ever get into older Opeth?  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2022, 12:47:37 PM »

Well that is unfathomable for me so you're on your own  :lol

In other news I have listened to Graves 3 times so far today  :heart

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #412 on: December 17, 2022, 12:57:04 PM »

Well that is unfathomable for me so you're on your own  :lol

In other news I have listened to Graves 3 times so far today  :heart

I've been trying to spin the next album on the list, so for #9 we're just padding the stats for my #1 and #2 all time on my Spotify stats.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #413 on: December 17, 2022, 01:06:38 PM »
I have the first Anciients album but never did check out the second one. Another one to add to my list.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #414 on: December 17, 2022, 01:11:30 PM »
I have the first Anciients album but never did check out the second one. Another one to add to my list.

Absolutely... If the first is a firm 8/10, this one is somewhere in the 13/10 range. And the first is an outstanding album.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #415 on: December 17, 2022, 03:43:24 PM »
And nor for something completely different...if there's one thing I'll never be accused of, it's being single minded in my tastes...

#9- Gacharic Spin- Gacharic Spin (2021)

I was initially hesitant to put these girls this high, fearing recency bias, but when I checked my Spotify stats and saw that the first two songs on this album were #1 and #2 all time, I realized they'd earned their spot. I found them after a Nemophila online show, and a fellow fan posted a pic of Nemo's lead singer with Angie 1/3, Gacharic Spin's vocalist (the pink haired one). I asked who that was, and in response he posted a link to the Mindset video. In a mere 3 months, that song topped my Spotify list for the year, I was fucking hooked. And almost everyone I turn on to it has a similar reaction. Their second single, I Wish I, ended up being #2 on my Spotify for the year, and the two stay that way for my all time list. This band can't be categorized in any way, shape or form. They are rock, funk, pop, electronica, and metal all rolled into one wonderful J-Rock package, backed by some incredibly talented musicians. I'd be hard pressed not to put bassist Koga in my top 10 all time, she's a freak of nature on that thing. Tomo is a brilliant guitarist, even when playing her guitar is an ice cream cone (seriously lol), and keyboardist Oreo has amazing chops both as a player and singer. But the real brilliance is how this band can go from all out J-rock with a heavy pop flavor and spin right into the sickest instrumental passages you'll ever hear, and that's song after song after song, going back through their 12 year discography. Pair that with 3 amazing lead vocalists who share the bulk of the singing, switching off to and fro with ease, and you got what I would easily consider not only a tremendously talented group, but the most unique band I've ever heard.

And they're fun. They're just so much goddamn fun. In past iterations, the keyboard player wore a cheeseburger outfit on stage, and the guitarist has one guitar that's an ice cream cone. That's actually one consistency with the Japanese bands, they have such a blast doing what they do, and it's incredibly infectious. I implore you all, take a chance, listen to Mindset, you won't be sorry...

Favorite Tracks- I Wish I, Mindset, Dear____, Mirai Ronsai, Forever 9Teen, Magic Umbrella Girl, Days, 1Game

Mindset- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmL0V667QzI

I Wish I- https://youtu.be/-R6Nrr_omjE?list=RDEMjnN32ebozxFdK17cr5gR-Q

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #9
« Reply #416 on: December 18, 2022, 02:32:42 AM »
I quite enjoyed that song, but I’m not sure if I would come back to it. The videoclip was fun though and I can surely see the appeal :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #417 on: December 18, 2022, 04:17:31 AM »
Mindset is amazing, but I didn't enjoy much of the rest of the album, I should revisit it though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #418 on: December 18, 2022, 08:42:46 AM »
#8- Flaming Row- Elinoire (2011)

100% credit for this one goes to Jingle, he pimped it to a point where I had to try it, and even if it didn't click with me first, it eventually did, and hard. This album falls under the prog metal opera with ensemble vocal cast umbrella, to me basically musical theater meets prog metal, but it doesn't have the over the top pretentiousness that the likes of Ayreon and Avantasia have that turn me off to them(personal opinion, don't @ me). That did creep in on their second album, and the third was just weak sauce, but Elinoire absolutely crushed it. They manage to balance the innate awkwardness of trying to tell a story to prog metal without getting to full of themselves in the process, and the end result is an album that succeeds in portraying a brilliant story while being very revisitable, even years after the initial glow of discovery fades. I'd say on a monthly basis, this album gets some time from me, especially the closing epic. Great stuff all around!!

Favorite Tracks- Nightingale's Chirp, Lea's Delivery, Elinoire, Unearth the Truth, A Place to Review Your Soul

Nightingale's Chirp- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyJFvfMq6XE

Unearth the Truth- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzpqZq8V6EY

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #8
« Reply #419 on: December 18, 2022, 10:41:23 AM »
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy  God-tier is an understatement.

Hef-tier.  This one will make a return visit when (if?) I get to my Top 50 concept albums thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion