Author Topic: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #1!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16793 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #26
« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2022, 07:19:31 AM »
Did I? Could've sworn you found them independently, them being Canadian and all.

Definitely didn't find them on my own - it was either you or Doc.  And it was Pride/this album specifically... which is why I'm certain it was you.

Wow, it's a mystery. :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 07:28:20 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2022, 07:21:20 AM »
Did I? Could've sworn you found them independently, them being Canadian and all.

Definitely didn't find them on my own - it was either you or Doc.  And it was Pride/this album specifically... which is why I'm certain it was you.

Had to be the LO review that did it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2022, 08:00:14 AM »
Chad introduced this one to me I think, fantastic album. Dear Someone is in particular very touching. I haven't listened to this record for probably half a year, I'll spin it tomorrow on my commute.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #27
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2022, 08:03:50 AM »

@ Gregg... there's definitely some rocking in their inventory.  This album is a little more mellow than others, but if these songs aren't your thing, there's not gonna be a ton to their inventory that will tickle you.

I maybe didn't communicate my thoughts well. I like this, a lot. It was just that the two samples provided had very little in the way of rocking moments. I wondered if that were true of their entire repertoire.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #27
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2022, 09:13:22 AM »

@ Gregg... there's definitely some rocking in their inventory.  This album is a little more mellow than others, but if these songs aren't your thing, there's not gonna be a ton to their inventory that will tickle you.

I maybe didn't communicate my thoughts well. I like this, a lot. It was just that the two samples provided had very little in the way of rocking moments. I wondered if that were true of their entire repertoire.

I wouldn't say so. Check out their latest live release - Caught in The Whirwind of Time, and that'll give you a good sense of their overall sound/style.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2022, 06:00:59 PM »
#25- Between the Buried and Me- Automata I&II (2018)

I initially started to dive into BtBaM when I got tix to the Summer Slaughter tour, mainly to finally catch Allegaeon live. BtBaM was the headliner, and Automata II had just come out, so I dug in. I had spun Coma Ecliptic and Colors before, and enjoyed them immensely, but the band never fully dug their claws into me until this album. The Proverbial Bellow was outstanding, and got me all tingly for the show to come...but then that third song hit, and holy shit I was really not prepared for what would eventually be my song of the year, Voice of Trespass. This jazzy technical death metal whatever the fuck it was song was like nothing I'd ever heard before, and I burned this track to the ground. Blake Richardson gives one of the best drum performances ever on this thing, just jaw dropping. While Voice of Trespass was a standout, both albums had outstanding tracks to deliver, and the eventual show (ironically, I missed Allegaeon cause I got stuck at work boo) was a god tier performance.

Favorite Tracks- Condemned to the Gallows, Blot, The Proverbial Bellow, Voice of Trespass

Voice of Trespass- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja0EWloqsKo

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #25
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2022, 09:51:41 PM »
I was starting to wonder if we'd see BtBaM in your top 50. Voice of Trespass is a god-tier song.

Have you listened to Colors II yet? Amazing album! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2022, 01:37:26 AM »
I wouldn't say I LOVE Automata, but it's pretty damn good. Thos was the first new release for me once I became a fan of the band. You're both right about Voice of Trespass though! It's the best Diablo Swing Orchestra song BTBAM have ever written.

+1 for Colors II being amazing, might have to revisit, it's been a few months.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2022, 06:08:19 AM »
I spun Colors II a few times when it came out, and definitely enjoyed it, but it probably got lost in the massive amount of J-metal I was being inundated with at that time. Definitely need to revisit it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: December 06, 2022, 06:09:31 AM »
Wow, the turn it took at about 3:45 or so was super cool!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #290 on: December 06, 2022, 10:45:17 AM »
Wow, the turn it took at about 3:45 or so was super cool!

Right? Such a tremendous song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2022, 10:51:43 AM »
RJ, I almost saw them this year.  Small club but had to do a favor for my brother that night and didn't go.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: December 06, 2022, 10:55:52 AM »
RJ, I almost saw them this year.  Small club but had to do a favor for my brother that night and didn't go.

Dump a body?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: December 06, 2022, 10:56:39 AM »

Dump a body?

Babysit my nephew.  LOL  Lisa was working that night too.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2022, 11:36:36 AM »
Too bad, they put on one hell of a show

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2022, 11:52:56 AM »
Small club 20 minutes away from my house too.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2022, 07:39:25 PM »
#24- Thoughts Factory- Lost (2014)

https://i.scdn.co/image/ab67616d00001e029588b455abd05c0749a12d1c

This gem out of Germany I randomly came across  in another blind search. There's nothing like clicking link after link for an hour or so, then hitting absolute gold. Stylistically this is your standard Euro-prog metal fair, well executed with a tremendous vocalist in Marcus Becker. A concept album, cause why not, centered around a friend's suicide, so not the happiest of works, but tactfully handled. While it's been a while since I spun this, a recent listen shows it still holds up, even if my taste are fading away from this fare. This album's impact and hold on me during that time earned it this spot, and for anyone who digs the straight up prog metal stuff, this is definitely worth a listen.

Favorite Tracks- Awakening, Voices from Heaven, No Way Out

No Way Out- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFLjtfAmiE&ab_channel=thoughtsfactoryofficial

Voices from Heaven- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYlCX4sQI44&ab_channel=ThoughtsFactory-Topic

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #24
« Reply #297 on: December 06, 2022, 07:40:28 PM »
Fucking GREAT album and still on rotation.  :hefdaddy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2022, 07:41:41 PM »
I remember you getting harder than anyone over this one.  :tup

May not be able to update the next two days, got a few huge holiday events at work, just FYI kids.

Also, looking at the list going forward, it's just fucking all killer, no filler. 23 straight up desert island albums for sure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #299 on: December 06, 2022, 07:46:35 PM »
I remember you getting harder than anyone over this one.  :tup

Yeah, it's just awesome all the way around. I think if I did some sort of post Top 50 albums list like this, it'd also be on it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2022, 08:07:58 PM »
#23- Pyramid Theorem- Pyramid Theorem (2012)

I think I found out about Canadian band Pyramid Theorem the same way most other DTFers did, via Johnny Thermos' endless pimping of them when this album came out. Fortunately it wasn't for naught, as this album kicks so much ass beginning to end. But even that isn't the total reason why this one made my list...their is one guitar solo on this one that has been my phone ringtone since the album came out, probably making it my most listened to piece of music in my life. The band is a guitar driven prog metal debut, where they haven't really settled into a style and are most just going off on how fucking good they are. Guitarist Sam Ermalini is an absolute monster, probably one of the best young guitarists I've come across since joining DTF, and he flexes his stuff beginning to end. Fortunately, his fellow musicians are more than up to the task of keeping pace, giving us five songs of varying length and style that merge to deliver an absolute monster of an album.

Favorite Tracks- Another Day Slips By, Primitive Design, The Dream

Another Day Slips By (contains my phone ringtone at @4:40)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YHHRm0wKoM&ab_channel=PyramidTheorem

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #23
« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2022, 08:10:01 PM »
GREAT album. Still gets regular listens. I think they've released a couple of things since, but nothing else has really stuck.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #302 on: December 07, 2022, 08:11:19 PM »
Yeah, they seemed to zero in on a different, more generalized rock style. Quality tunes, but doesn't even touch their debut.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: December 07, 2022, 08:25:47 PM »
Two absolute gems there. It’s been a year or two since I spun Lost. Probably a little longer with Pyramid Theorem. I can rectify that tomorrow … got some driving to do, heading into the city for work.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #304 on: December 07, 2022, 08:28:29 PM »
Two absolute gems there. It’s been a year or two since I spun Lost. Probably a little longer with Pyramid Theorem. I can rectify that tomorrow … got some driving to do, heading into the city for work.

The next offering is just as strong in your book. In fact, looking at the rest of the list, and only 3 more albums would register as equals in your eyes to these three.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #305 on: December 08, 2022, 08:59:49 PM »
No update today kids... I'm fucking gassed after a 13 hour day. Gonna eat some ice cream and crash.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: December 08, 2022, 09:01:38 PM »
What is your ice cream of choice?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #307 on: December 08, 2022, 09:04:39 PM »
What is your ice cream of choice?

I could literally do a top 50 ice cream flavors. Tonight was mint chip, but only cause I didn't want to go to whole foods and get Jeni's. Their stuff is the best ice cream, and it's not even close. Their best flavor is Buttermilk with Peach jam and biscuits. Unfuckingbelievable

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: December 08, 2022, 09:12:48 PM »
Jeni's must be local there?

You mention the Peach jam which sounds awesome. When I was a teenager, I used to go to this place in Rhode Island that had Cantaloup flavored ice cream and it was amazing.

Me? I'm a chocolate chip cookie dough guy.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #309 on: December 08, 2022, 09:17:53 PM »

You mention the Peach jam which sounds awesome. When I was a teenager, I used to go to this place in Rhode Island that had Cantaloup flavored ice cream and it was amazing.

Jeni's is out of Ohio I think, it's sold at whole foods and other specialty markets.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #310 on: December 09, 2022, 12:15:36 AM »

Jeni's is out of Ohio I think, it's sold at whole foods and other specialty markets.
I'm going to have to remember that next time I'm at Whole Foods. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nick_z

« Reply #311 on: December 09, 2022, 10:08:48 AM »
So, I'm several pages late, but Lonestar's posting of Lalu's Paint The Sky album reminded me I hadn't checked it out yet. I had it on my "list" as I had read great things about it when it came out. Then I forgot. Then I LOVED the A-Z record, where a couple of members play (including the man himself) and I thought - ah, I need to check it out. Then I forgot again  :biggrin:

Finally (thanks Lonestar!) I've gotten around to doing it. Well, there is a lot to digest, so there will be more listens but, man, this is wonderful! Such tasteful playing all over and, importantly, fantastic melodies! And the drumming! I had no idea who Jelly Cardarelli was, but he sounds amazing.

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Damian Wilson, but his vocal melodies are very good here. To the anti-Wilson people here, I'd say - don't sleep on this!  :)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #312 on: December 09, 2022, 12:43:46 PM »
Nice, it's definitely a solid album, and Damien really fits into that 'love letter to Yes' feel of the album that Lalu was trying to put forward.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: December 09, 2022, 12:48:30 PM »
#23- Pyramid Theorem- Pyramid Theorem (2012)

I think I found out about Canadian band Pyramid Theorem the same way most other DTFers did, via Johnny Thermos' endless pimping of them when this album came out. Fortunately it wasn't for naught, as this album kicks so much ass beginning to end. But even that isn't the total reason why this one made my list...their is one guitar solo on this one that has been my phone ringtone since the album came out, probably making it my most listened to piece of music in my life. The band is a guitar driven prog metal debut, where they haven't really settled into a style and are most just going off on how fucking good they are. Guitarist Sam Ermalini is an absolute monster, probably one of the best young guitarists I've come across since joining DTF, and he flexes his stuff beginning to end. Fortunately, his fellow musicians are more than up to the task of keeping pace, giving us five songs of varying length and style that merge to deliver an absolute monster of an album.

Favorite Tracks- Another Day Slips By, Primitive Design, The Dream

Another Day Slips By (contains my phone ringtone at @4:40)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YHHRm0wKoM&ab_channel=PyramidTheorem

Man, I haven't listened to this in a while.  I will correct this. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #314 on: December 09, 2022, 12:54:06 PM »
#22- Frost*- Milliontown (2006)

This one I kept seeing talked about here, and eventually dove in. The first instrumental hooks me off right out of the gates, fantastic track. The middle four songs are solid, definitely living up to the hype of the album. Then I get to the title track, the 26 minute masterpiece Milliontown. This will always be a top ten epic for me, and probably tied for strongest 20+ minute track on this list. I'm always amazed how a band can not only avoid getting boring in such a long track, but quite the opposite. Especially here, they just throw killer hook after killer hook at you, ramping up the intensity from beginning to end. This is one I love to crank to 11 in the car and just fucking rock out. Great track to finish a great album.

Favorite Tracks- Hyperventilate, Black Light Machine, Milliontown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeMjPmN0rbo