Author Topic: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #1!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16768 times)

Offline Zoom E

Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #34
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2022, 06:50:59 PM »
I have. I listened to the Lalu album a couple of times. Also, I listened to the Nuclear Power Trio, EP, which was great.

I will check out some others when I get a chance.   :tup

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2022, 06:51:37 PM »
Best way to describe Thank You Scientist is if Chicago joined forces with Coheed and Cambria and Protest the Hero.

Amazing album too!  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2022, 06:52:49 PM »
I have. I listened to the Lalu album a couple of times. Also, I listened to the Nuclear Power Trio, EP, which was great.

I will check out some others when I get a chance.   :tup

Awesome...lot's more on the way!!! Since I'm not including anything from my original top 50, a great deal of this one is more on the obscure side.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2022, 10:32:29 PM »
Stranger Heads Prevail is just another great album by TYS

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2022, 07:10:23 AM »
Nice pick. I have all the TYS albums, and this one is my favorite!

[edit] I have a good buddy who's a big music consumer but who doesn't really like prog since he considers it mostly pretentious wanking. One Christmas, for fun, I bought him this album along with a TYS tee shirt. I got a big eyebrow raise from him when he opened it, but a couple of weeks later he texted me that he'd bought Maps of Non-existing Places. [/edit]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 07:18:19 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2022, 07:18:39 AM »

Thinking about it TYS may be one of the most consistent bands I listen to. Everything they've released is great.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2022, 07:19:30 AM »

Thinking about it TYS may be one of the most consistent bands I listen to. Everything they've released is great.

Yup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2022, 08:51:39 AM »
Shineback and Thank You Scientist were intriguing in different ways.  The former had all kinds of electronic details going on that I think might stand out on additional listens.  The latter just had a lot going on in general, and so is hard to parse on a first listen.  I know they're something of a mid-tier newer staple, and I've heard a few songs before, but not an album.  Neither is quite my thing, but definitely worthy of more time at a later point, particularly TYS. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2022, 08:53:50 AM »
definitely worthy of more time at a later point, particularly TYS.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2022, 11:15:16 AM »
What I've found is that TYS can be a bit of an overload for my brain if I listen to too much straight through. Especially Terraformer, that album is so dense that my ears are worn out by a full album spin. I love it when I only do a few songs at a time though.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: November 29, 2022, 12:47:24 PM »
Over the last couple of years, I've had occasion to have my music catalog on full rotation (shuffle) while working in my garage. You know how your collection just kind of becomes background noise while you're doing other things, well that's been my experience. I'd absently hum along with the music, or unconsciously sing along...unless TYS came up. Everytime, I'd stop, grab a diet coke and take a break to listen. That is some righteous attention grabbing tunes for sure.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #35
« Reply #221 on: November 29, 2022, 12:56:24 PM »
#34- Thank You Scientist- Stranger Heads Prevail (2019)

Had to include this band, even though none of their three studio albums stands out as a frontrunner, each has its own highs, and they're all pretty damn solid. For those unfamiliar, Thank You Scientist is a 7 person prog/jazz band with a violin and horn section, and they're fucking amazing. I'm mainly including them to mark the 5 or 6 times I've seen them live in the past 5 years or so, just an amazing show everytime, and they earned the recognition here. I won't bother trying to explain their music, it's just way to unique to put into words...

Favorite Tracks- The Somnambulist, Mr Invisible, The Amateur Arsonist's Handbook, Rube Goldberg Variations

Mr Invisible-

Killer album RJ.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2022, 04:32:36 PM »
What I've found is that TYS can be a bit of an overload for my brain if I listen to too much straight through. Especially Terraformer, that album is so dense that my ears are worn out by a full album spin. I love it when I only do a few songs at a time though.

I definitely feel this sentiment... While I love their live shows to bits, they don't tend to make my regular listening rotation, especially my driving music, often for those reasons. Mad respect for what they put out though, just some genius music beginning to end.

And speaking of accessible music, can't wait to see reactions to my next offering...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2022, 04:44:34 PM »
I've never actually checked out TYS. Listening to The Somnambulist now, and it pretty freaking awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #224 on: November 29, 2022, 05:34:13 PM »
Yeah, they're ridiculously dope across the board. And with that, let's keep this thing rolling...

#33 BABYMETAL- Metal Resistance (2016)

Ok, those who know me knew this one was coming, and I apologized for absolutely nothing when it comes to loving this band. And, to be honest, the main reason BABYMETAL made the list is because they were my gateway drug for so many other J-Metal bands, a few which will be appearing later, but coming to terms with the kuwaii aspects of J-metal, and most importantly learning to cast aside the language barriers and just appreciating the music for what it is, that I give 100% credit to this band. The backing band, aka the Kami band, are fucking amazing, and can hold their own with literally any band out there, period, but as we know, the real stars of  this band are Su, Mao, and Yui, the three pint sized singers that provide enough energy to their shows to light up a small city. While the two backup singers/dancers Mao and Yui are entertaining, Su (Suzuka Nakamura) as lead does a majority of the heavy lifting for this band, a task she is more than capable of. Her range and power vocally are immense, and her delivery is always spot on clean as fuck. I have yet to hear her voice waver in a live performance. Musically, it's all in the name, killer metal riffs with cute lyrics on top, and the occasional growls to add to the confusion. Some will be put off right away, and that's ok...but for those who find some appeal to what's here, there's a massively deep pit of kick ass music awaiting you in the genre of J-metal.

Favorite Tracks- Road of Resistance, Karate, Awadama Fever, THE ONE

I'm gonna do live vids for this band, it's really the only way to appreciate them, and honestly, if you've never seen their live stuff, it's worth the 6 minutes to see how these three young ladies completely own their audience, especially in the first video.

Road of Resistance- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEYUFgLveY&ab_channel=BABYMETAL

Karate- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C6y2UTll-k&ab_channel=BABYMETALDESU

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #33
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2022, 05:38:40 PM »
I'll give this one a shot.  I have their debut, and most of it didn't do anything for me, except for "Babymetal Death", which is a phenomenal track. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2022, 06:32:07 PM »
I'll give this one a shot.  I have their debut, and most of it didn't do anything for me, except for "Babymetal Death", which is a phenomenal track.

I think the biggest difference between their debut and this one is that they dropped some of the 'cuteness' of the tracks,not all, just some. There's definitely a bit more maturity overall.

And the Road of Resistance live video is just about the best thing ever.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2022, 09:46:39 PM »
I think the overall quality is better than I remember it being on the debut, but no particular stunning track like that one had.  There were a few I bookmarked as being worth revisiting though.  The main thing for me is those super-sugary vocals.  There are admittedly some I like that probably come across just like those to other people, but these are just a miss for me.  Killer backing band though. 

I watched a few of the Nuclear Power Trio videos back a couple years ago when they came out.  Pretty fun stuff, choppy without being inaccessible like you'd think the tech death backgrounds could result in, and the acoustic integration is nice.  Not quite enough to latch onto to be a regular listen for me, but fairly enjoyable on occasion for something different. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 09:54:41 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2022, 04:38:11 AM »
You tried these guys on me, and unsurprisingly, that song finished dead last in the round you gave it to me.  I admire your convictions, but for me ... it's a no-go.

Funny enough, you gave me Kaipa / Silent Ballroom Band the very next round (it finished 2nd), and redeemed yourself.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2022, 05:16:54 AM »
The girls are looking like women in the Karate video.

I've enjoyed Baby Metal everytime I've had occasion to watch one of their videos...just not enough to buy an album.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2022, 05:25:02 AM »
You tried these guys on me, and unsurprisingly, that song finished dead last in the round you gave it to me.  I admire your convictions, but for me ... it's a no-go.

Funny enough, you gave me Kaipa / Silent Ballroom Band the very next round (it finished 2nd), and redeemed yourself.

Yeah, you definitely weren't the target audience of this one lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2022, 05:27:10 AM »
Babymetal are alright, I can't listen to them often though.

I've got a friend who is a big fan and always puts them on, although I think it's mainly for a react, especially from his girlfriend  :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2022, 05:36:33 AM »
Babymetal were my "gateway drug" into more, and better, J-Rock like Band Maid, Lovebites, Nemophilia  and the phenomenal Wagakki Band.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #233 on: November 30, 2022, 06:28:42 AM »
Babymetal were my "gateway drug" into more, and better, J-Rock like Band Maid, Lovebites, Nemophilia  and the phenomenal Wagakki Band.

Same.. In fact, two of those listed will be making an appearance later on this list. I listed Babymetal partly in honor of that

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2022, 06:50:45 AM »
I think I read online that Babymetal is having silent mosh pits at their shows now.  RJ, What's that about?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2022, 07:00:52 AM »
I think I read online that Babymetal is having silent mosh pits at their shows now.  RJ, What's that about?

Japan's covid restrictions are still a good deal tougher than ours, fans are masked and can't be vocal. Up until now they had to respect social distancing as well, so I gather they're gonna toss the distancing but keep the silent part, and since the Japanese aren't petulant bitches like a portion of our great nation, they will follow directions.

The LA Nemophila show was the first time they heard their fans cheer for them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2022, 07:16:01 AM »
Very cool.  Thank you.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2022, 05:36:56 PM »
Ok, after our first offering of J-Metal, let's serve a palate cleanser for poor J-boy...

#32- Secret Sphere- Portrait of a Dying Heart (2012)

The second album from my Italian metal phase of the early 2010's, this one I straight up stumbled across as I was delving deeper and deeper into the myriad music I had just stumbled into. Finally being out of my addiction long enough to do crazy things like afford a computer and discover sites like Spotify and Bandcamp, I had found my replacement drug, and it was music. Can't begin to count the endless nights I'd sit there like a fiend clicking link after link in search of band after band. So much of what was to come for me musically was found in those moments, I'd say 6 or 7 of them still to come on this list. These guys are straight up Italian power metal, and well done power metal at that. No tricks, no tomfoolery, just a shit ton of riffage and killer vocals. There's a few riffs on this one which would definitely be in my top riffs of all time list for sure, specifically the one in the middle of the opening instrumental. It's one of those that if my car radio isn't turned up all the way when I'm listening to it, I will rewind, crank it up, and crank it again. You all know what I'm talking about, don't deny it...

Favorite Tracks- Portrait of a Dying Heart, Wish and Steadiness, X, The Fall, Eternity

Portrait of a Dying Heart (instrumental, killer riff at about 3:15) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwDaFYpAE68&ab_channel=IncubosS%C3%BAcubos

Wish and Steadiness- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BfqaIoR_RU&ab_channel=MichaelOrfeo

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #32
« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2022, 06:05:42 PM »
Michele Luppi!!  :metal :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2022, 07:09:18 PM »

I’m pretty sure you introduced me to this one, and that opening instrumental just floored me. 10/10. SS is patchy, they’ve got some great stuff, and some duds. This is clearly the former.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2022, 07:30:26 PM »
Definitely the strongest of their catalog for me...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #241 on: December 01, 2022, 05:29:30 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaand moving right along...

#31- Nightwish- Imaginaerum (2011)

So some may thing this an odd choice for Nightwish, considering their massive discography, but I actually have an expanation...most of the older stuff I haven't really dug into, mainly because I just can't get into Tarja's vocal style.And it definitely won't be the two Floor albums because EFMB was meh, and H:II:N was a few steps below meh, but for whatever reason, this one just hit all the right spots for me. I love the songs beginning to end, I deeply respect the challenging nature of the concept and story they were trying to tell, and honestly, Annette's vocal style was just so perfect for said story, just the right mix of playful and powerful. I remember I bought this one the day of the first show I saw of theirs (Floor's 3rd with the band), just to get a taste of what I was seeing (I was mostly going to the show for Kamelot) and being hooked on the album from the first listen, and it just got better and better for me. These days, I usually go to the live album from that tour for my Nightwish listening, but I'll still hit the album proper now and then, and still enjoy it tremendously beginning to end.

Favorite Tracks- Storytime, I Want My Tears Back, Turn Loose The Mermaids (sooooo good), Song of Myself

I Want My Tears Back- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSk2ARSmA2c&ab_channel=Nightwish-Topic

Turn Loose The Mermaids- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJS5g4-p3K4

Offline Zoom E

Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #31
« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2022, 07:25:03 PM »
Imaginaerum is a top tier Nightwish album. Good choice  :tup

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #243 on: December 01, 2022, 07:55:28 PM »
Nightwish's material gets weaker the further they get from power metal for me, and Floor is by far my favorite, but Annette was unfairly maligned when she was singing for them.  Her solo work and with The Dark Element has proven that the criticism was unjust.  "Storytime" was a killer tune especially, even if I prefer Floor's live version. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2022, 09:04:33 PM »
Nightwish's material gets weaker the further they get from power metal for me, and Floor is by far my favorite, but Annette was unfairly maligned when she was singing for them.  Her solo work and with The Dark Element has proven that the criticism was unjust.  "Storytime" was a killer tune especially, even if I prefer Floor's live version.

:iagree:

I'm still bummed I couldn't make it work to go with you to that show.  One of my (if not the) biggest concert regrets ever.  :angry:

I do love me Once and Century Child, but Floor's version of these tunes live is *chef's kiss*