Author Topic: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #1!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16760 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #39
« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2022, 10:14:23 AM »
I really dig Dana-dan! I'll check out the complete album later.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2022, 10:21:17 AM »
 :tup

Dana-Dan is probably my fav so far...

I did!  :lol

That's all we can do man.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2022, 10:47:16 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2022, 01:21:00 PM »
I'm sorry, but since Bilo IV dropped yesterday I haven't listened to much else, so I'm gonna have to play catch up on the last couple soon.   :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2022, 01:25:02 PM »
Pretty sure you shared this on FB a while back, and I sampled it.  Didn't really strike me as my thing, but it certainly was unique.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2022, 03:39:06 PM »
Damn.  Sorry mate, I thought that Bloodywood was fucking terrible.  :lol

Props to them for the uniqueness.  I know I'm looking for something fresh, but this isn't it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2022, 04:13:38 PM »

Props to them for the uniqueness.  I know I'm looking for something fresh, but this isn't it.

Not sure what I'll have that's in your wheelhouse man. Keep checking back I guess.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2022, 04:31:16 AM »

Not sure what I'll have that's in your wheelhouse man. Keep checking back I guess.

I'm following mate.  Still enjoying these obscure pics regardless.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2022, 08:03:53 AM »
Ok here's another very proggy submission for you not to like Kade...

#38 Shineback- Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed (2013)

A solo project by Tinyfish frontman Simon Godfrey, this album was an experimentation in electronica and a murder mystery rolled into one. It's a solid concept album, with the songs proper interluded with musical 'blogs', it has a good flow and really pushes the boundaries of what the electronic side of music is capable of, ditching most of the predictable stuff for some truly sublime musical outputs with tremendous vocal work from Godfrey. Highlighting the album is the masterpiece of a title track.

Favorite Tracks- Rise Up Forgotten Return Destroyed, Bedlam Days, Is This The Dream, Faultlines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yrOUQ-rzbs&ab_channel=Shineback-Topic

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #38
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2022, 08:06:30 AM »
And with that, I'm heading into the city for a Fan Expo highlighted by panels from Ming Na Wen, Giancarlo Esposito and M'fin BRENT SPINER, so probably only one offering for today. We'll get two in tomorrow, and then one a day probably for the rest of the list.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2022, 09:02:33 PM »
Alright, gonna sneak in another before bed...

#37- The Omega Experiment- The Omega Experiment (2013)

This album, more than any other, taught me that taking chances on totally unheard of bands can pay off in droves. I came across this in the prog metal section of a local record store, and a two second search showed me some decent reviews and some very high praise from one Devin Townsend. I figured if it was good enough for heavy Devy, it was good enough for me to drop a few bucks on. The album is the work of two gents, covering all instruments on it except the programmed drums (the one drawback of the album). Musically, it's a brilliant wall of sound prog metal attack, with a shit ton of emotion weaved throughout. The depth of this one musically is truly endless, but for me at least, it was the lyrical elements that dug deep. Seems the main musician behind it, Dan Weiten, is a recovering addict, and this is his chronicle of that struggle. It hit me when I was about two years sober, and really gave me a tremendous amount of solace, along with being just a tremendous album. This one is well worth a listen my friends...

Favorite Tracks- Gift, Stimulus, Furor, Karma, Terminus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLKGe0ojC4&ab_channel=theomegaexperiment

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2022, 10:16:53 PM »
And with that, I'm heading into the city for a Fan Expo highlighted by panels from Ming Na Wen, Giancarlo Esposito and M'fin BRENT SPINER, so probably only one offering for today. We'll get two in tomorrow, and then one a day probably for the rest of the list.
Waiting for Tim to chime in with "Who?"
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #37
« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2022, 06:45:53 AM »
Shineback has never done much for me. I can't remember if you pushed The Omega Experiment on me.  It seems to ring a bell.

I'll see if I can spin both at some point today/tomorrow.  Probably tomorrow.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2022, 06:48:02 AM »

x3!   :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2022, 10:19:56 AM »

x3!   :lol

Ming Na Wen voiced Mulan in the Disney animated movie, as well as being on Agents of Sheild and The Mandalorian. Esposito has been in the Mandalorian, Breaking Bad, and the Boys. Spiner is Commander Data in Trek

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2022, 11:38:54 AM »
#36- Nuclear Power Trio- A Clear and Present Rager (2020)

So not sure how this one started out, it's a comical side project of three musicians, featuring Greg Burgess of Allegaeon, Peter Webber of Havok and I honestly can't find out who's on bass. No matter though, what might have been meant as a comical interlude during peak pandemic times ended up producing hands down one of the most kick ass instrumental EPs ever made, period. This thing is borderline untouchable with how fucking dope it is. Just click play...

Favorite Tracks- All killer, no filler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfzX9uav7yA&ab_channel=MetalBladeRecords

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #36
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2022, 12:09:51 PM »
Fuck yea! Now this is the best album so far. Not sure what I was expecting when I first heard this, some parody thrash band or something. What I got was the funkiest funk metal ever. Great record, might have to stick it on.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2022, 01:10:04 PM »
Way too funny that I just messaged you about this last week!!!  The music, and the vids kick all kinds of ass

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2022, 01:13:11 PM »
Also, I lasted 2 songs with Shineback; The Omega Experiment has been a bit more enjoyable.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2022, 01:17:16 PM »
Also, I lasted 2 songs with Shineback; The Omega Experiment has been a bit more enjoyable.

While I dig Shineback, I can see it's unapproachability. The title track is solid

Omega Experiment is definitely a hidden gem.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2022, 01:23:07 PM »

So not sure how this one started out, it's a comical side project of three musicians, featuring Greg Burgess of Allegaeon, Peter Webber of Havok and I honestly can't find out who's on bass.

The interwebz says Nick Schendzielos.

OK, dropped the needle on all three..

Shineback- yeah, that's not gonna makeit. I simply cannot do electronic music like that.

The Omega Experiment- I like it I think. I Saved it on Spotify for a more proper listen. My first impression was that it was a wall of sound. The production was almost unpleasant. But I'm on it!

Nuclear Power Trio-Yup-Saved this one as well. Nice!!! Grab 'Em by the Pyongyang  :lol
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 01:47:28 PM by TAC »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2022, 02:58:33 PM »
The bassist of Nuclear Power Trio is Nick Schendzielos who is from Cephalic Carnage and Job for a Cowboy. He also used to be in Havok.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2022, 05:45:20 PM »

While I dig Shineback, I can see it's unapproachability. The title track is solid

Omega Experiment is definitely a hidden gem.

Yeah, I can totally tell why Devy loves it.  Definitely influenced by him.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2022, 08:02:46 PM »
So not sure how this one started out, it's a comical side project of three musicians, featuring Greg Burgess of Allegaeon, Peter Webber of Havok and I honestly can't find out who's on bass. No matter though, what might have been meant as a comical interlude during peak pandemic times ended up producing hands down one of the most kick ass instrumental EPs ever made, period. This thing is borderline untouchable with how fucking dope it is. Just click play...

Favorite Tracks- All killer, no filler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfzX9uav7yA&ab_channel=MetalBladeRecords

You sent me this for my roulette and I loved it. I seriously didn't know what to expect looking at the title and cover but my expectations were far exceeded.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2022, 08:41:13 PM »
Yup...it took a ton of people by surprise, so damn good.

And since my loser ass is going back to work tomorrow (boo), I'll start posting one a day before bed. Aaaaaand go...

#35 Spiritbox- Eternal Blue (2021)

Ok...been excited to get to this one, and it's probably only this low because I just started digging into this album a few months ago in preparation for seeing them at Aftershock, but the last few weeks, this thing has been digging its claws deeper and deeper into me. The band was started by former members of iwrestledabearonce, fronted by the brilliant singer Courtney LaPlante. When I first listened to the band, my first reaction was "someone on this band loves TesseracT", that vibe is pretty thick, especially on a good deal of the instrumental work. Seems that person is LaPlante, she list them as an influence, but her main love is Meshuggah whom she's been listening to since she was young. They definitely spread their wings from these initial influences to create something all their own. It has a hard metal edge, that's for sure, but it really has such a brilliant melodic feel to it, and they manage to pair the two so perfectly, with LaPlante tying the edges together with clean vocals of tremendous power and clarity, and growls that dig deep, I'd put her right next to Tatiana of Jinjer in vocal capabilities for sure, such a tremendous album. I fully expect this band to climb higher in my heart, especially if I manage to get to their sold out headlining shows next year.

Favorite Tracks- Sun Killer, Secret Garden, Hurt You, Silk in the Strings, Circle With Me

Sun Killer, my favorite of theirs- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXY93aMLG7s&ab_channel=riserecords

Circle With me, for their harder edge- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WzT0OJ-E0&ab_channel=riserecords

Secret Garden, for their melodic side- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VcTYyuGrgM&ab_channel=riserecords

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #35
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2022, 09:06:27 PM »
Oh wow, I wish I could have seen how my face lit up when I scrolled down to that album cover.  That was my favorite album of last year, and the band I've been the most obsessed with in the past year or so.  The TesseracT comparison is apt, and is especially noticeable on their debut EP with the 3-part epic "The Mara Effect".  They kind of sound like them if TesseracT had leaned into the metalcore influences more, and obviously if they had a female vocalist instead. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urHvTZWO_70

I'd suggest "Holy Roller" as better representing their harder side, since it has no clean vocals, which "Circle With Me" does. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2K7nNdk2vs

And their mellower side with "Constance", which is softer and calmer than "Secret Garden", and pretty subdued other than the ending. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-86mRcJ8k
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 09:22:26 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2022, 09:15:16 PM »
Yeah, but I looooooooove Secret Garden...  :heart :heart

Holy Roller is definitely harder, Silk in the Strings as well. They definitely have diversity, but really kill it on all fronts. Such a talented group.

I've been focused mostly on this album for show prep and for general obsession with it, need to go back and really give the EP it's due...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2022, 09:16:21 PM »
And it's not just Courtney that clearly likes Meshuggah, because Mike writes and plays the riffs.  "The Beauty of Suffering" is pretty obviously inspired by "Bleed" in parts.  I've never been able to get into Jinjer myself, but Spiritbox, Red Handed Denial, Destiny Potato/Sordid Pink, and Morphide give me the feelings that I suppose that band gives other people. 

Picking songs on Eternal Blue is really hard, over half of it was probably my favorite at one point or another (though half of the singles were my least favorites), but it's between "The Summit", "Eternal Blue", "Sun Killer", and "Hurt You" these days. 

I should also add, I probably ignored them for a long time because I did not like the early releases of iwrestledabearonce with a different vocalist.  They felt like a gimmicky joke/meme band and not really worthy of serious listening.  I was out of the music news loop when Courtney and Mike took over that band, but wouldn't have paid any attention anyway.  But Spiritbox is very different, far more melodic and atmospheric, and the chaos is much more controlled. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 09:35:07 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2022, 09:17:00 AM »
I just listened to Asterism.  Definitely some seriously talented guitar playing, but not the sort of album that sticks with me on a first play.  Not enough hooks inbetween the shred, and the vocals that were there aren't my thing.  It just seems more suited to accompanying guitar gear ads or instructional video promos.  It's probably also more fun to watch or see in concert than just to listen to.  I'll have to watch the clips at some point.  And like a lot of young virtuosos, sometimes the technical ability comes long before the musicality does, so maybe later or future material could be more appealing. 

For Bloodywood, I'm not inherently opposed to nu-metal, I think it's a too often maligned genre with underexplored fertile ground.  And I've long been fascinated by Indian music, and like how they're incorporating some more traditional Indian sounds into their music.  But it's not clicking with me right off the bat.  Unique ideas, but the execution isn't my thing.  The vocals especially just aren't to my taste. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2022, 09:39:57 AM »
There's definitely some more maturity in Asterism's second EP Guernica... Might be worth a listen. Their last album is a collection of metal Anime theme song covers. It should be noted, guitarist Hal CA was 15 when that album was recorded.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2022, 06:27:55 PM »
#34- Thank You Scientist- Stranger Heads Prevail (2019)

Had to include this band, even though none of their three studio albums stands out as a frontrunner, each has its own highs, and they're all pretty damn solid. For those unfamiliar, Thank You Scientist is a 7 person prog/jazz band with a violin and horn section, and they're fucking amazing. I'm mainly including them to mark the 5 or 6 times I've seen them live in the past 5 years or so, just an amazing show everytime, and they earned the recognition here. I won't bother trying to explain their music, it's just way to unique to put into words...

Favorite Tracks- The Somnambulist, Mr Invisible, The Amateur Arsonist's Handbook, Rube Goldberg Variations

Mr Invisible-

Offline Zoom E

Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #34
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2022, 06:31:31 PM »
Lonestar, most of the albums on your list are unknown to me, but I actually have this one from Thank You Scientist . It’s a nice listen but I have to be in the mood.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #34
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2022, 06:40:50 PM »
Lonestar, most of the albums on your list are unknown to me, but I actually have this one from Thank You Scientist . It’s a nice listen but I have to be in the mood.

Have you been sampling any of the others? There's a ton of variety on here.