Author Topic: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #1!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16777 times)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #43
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2022, 05:12:01 AM »
Unfortunately, I have to concur.  Not bad, just nothing stands out about it, unlike the others.  It could be the type of album that opens up after a number of plays though. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2022, 06:09:35 AM »
My opinion of it is probably swayed a bit since I'm thanked in the liner notes as well.  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2022, 09:09:50 AM »
No familiar with Deadstation. Will check it out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2022, 10:52:16 AM »
#42 Sun Caged- The Lotus Effect (2011)

I'm honestly not sure where I came across this one, probably fell within the radius of the glut of albums I came across at the time, or it was sent to me by Jingle, who knows, but wherever it came from, I'm glad it did. Classic prog in style, smooth and subdued with killer vocals from Paul Villarreal. The highlight of the album is the last 8 songs, which form Ashtamangals- the 8 Auspicous Symbols suite, a 24 minute prog epic that definitely falls under the brilliance umbrella. It's soaring in scope, but never gets too out of reach like some epics have a habit of doing. Just a fantastic listen, and one I come back to often.

Favorite Tracks- Ashtamangala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jMwUGMe9Jg&t=48s&ab_channel=MarcelCoenenOfficial

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #42
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2022, 11:53:42 AM »
Wudn't me.  I stumbled on to them via a last.fm recommendation, but pretty sure I never shared them.  Another act that didn't quite click with me for the long haul.  I actually prefer their earlier release (Artemisia) over this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2022, 11:56:01 AM »
I actually have this, but it's been years since I listened to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2022, 12:05:43 PM »
Now we're talking.  The debut is an amazing album, but the follow up wasn't nearly as good to my recollection, though RYM tells me otherwise.  Not sure I ever got around to this one, so I'll see how it goes.  A massive amount of member turnover for such a small discography though.  I like how the debut had two Ayreon members (Marcel and Joost). 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2022, 06:09:00 PM »
Ok, one more update, then I'll probably do one in the morning tomorrow but obviously will take the evening off for the holiday.

#41- Deadly Circus Fire- The King and the Bishop (2013)

This British metal band I found through what I used to refer to as my Bandcamp fishing trips, spending a few hours just randomly hitting play on bands suggested to me. I've found more than a few quality albums doing this, and by doing blind purchases at the local record store's prog metal section. I'd say the standout aspects of Deadly Circus Fire, other than having the best band name ever, is their intense riffage, the bass ripped straight out of the Tool playbook, and the lead singer's pure power behind the mic. The follow up to this, The Hydra's Tailor, is also an outstanding output, but not quite the level of this one for me.  After that, the lead singer left, and their follow up this year was quality, but never reached the brilliance of the first two. Once you hear what Adam does, his cleans, his growls, how his passion rolls between the two, you'll see why he was so hard to replace. This one is well worth a click my friends....

Favorite Tracks- Through the Soil, Her Epitaph, Threnody, Leviathan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcnSs4t4MVw

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #41
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2022, 08:36:07 PM »
Another new one, but this is pretty cool, I like Tool-influenced bands.  Have you heard Wheel from Finland? 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2022, 09:59:37 PM »
Another new one, but this is pretty cool, I like Tool-influenced bands.  Have you heard Wheel from Finland?

I always joked that in the 12 years between 10000 days and Fear Innoculum, they out out the best 2 tool albums.

Not familiar with Wheel, I'll have to check it out.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2022, 04:43:38 AM »
Your use of "Tool" and "growls" to describe this pretty much makes it a pass for me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2022, 08:23:08 AM »
Your use of "Tool" and "growls" to describe this pretty much makes it a pass for me.

The sample song is only 4 minutes long dude...take a chance...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2022, 08:42:04 AM »
#40 Asterism- Ignition (2018)

Alright, you all knew this was coming, the first of a solid group of albums that fall under my recent fascination with J-Metal, this one was sent to me by a member of one of the FB fan groups for another band, and in one listen I was absolutely hooked, and am only getting more and more sold every day. A three piece instrumental metal band, Asterism has been together since guitarist Hal-Ca (Haruka Noma) was 11, bassist Miyu was 12, and drummer Mio was 14, and knowing that makes it more sensible that by the release of this album 5 years later, they sound pretty tight. And by now, 4 years after that, they're as polished as any band out there. This band is proggy, with some seriously heavy edges, highlighted by some of the most insane skill I've ever seen in such young musicians, I can only imagine this is what the core of MP, MM, and JP sounded like at such a young age. Miyu is usually seen plaing his custom 7 string bass, which isn't just for show, he kills it on this, not only handling rhythm duties but also feeding in and out of Hal-Ca's leads with his own incredible melodic parts. Mio is a machine on drums, more than up to the task of doing the heavy lifting for the group. For me though, it's Hal-Ca that sets this group apart. After a year of watching live vids, I'm firmly convinced that she will be one of the premiere guitar players of her generation. She not only has the technical chops, she's as fast as any I've seen out there, and her stage presence is absolutely massive. Keep an eye out on her, and on this band, they're only going to get better and better.

Favorite Tracks- Dawn, Blaze, Light in the Darkness

Light in the Darkness- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YNyr1PqMqA&ab_channel=Takako

Dawn (8+ minutes, but well worth it to really see Hal-Ca in action, watching her own this crowd at 16 is just jaw dropping)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQPvINJcA0&ab_channel=Takako

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #40
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2022, 08:44:52 AM »
From this point on I expect everything to be J-adjacent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2022, 08:51:26 AM »

Chad, you can do this song. Easily. The harsh vocals, even though they're the kind of harshies that I'm not crazy about, as they're screams as opposed to growls, are very non-intrusive to the song.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2022, 09:04:24 AM »
From this point on I expect everything to be J-adjacent.

:lol

Off the top of my head, I think I got 4 more J-adjacent offerings.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2022, 09:07:59 AM »
One of my Top 5 Live Albums...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2022, 09:10:49 AM »

Four minutes of my life is far too valuable for Tool + growls.   :lol

Alright, alright... I give it a whirl.  Although, I do seem to recall trying DCF in the past, and it largely didn't stick with me.  Ok, I sampled it.  It doesn't suck so bad.  :lol

Asterism on the other hand... kicks fucking ass.  This was a recc'n that was well worth my while when you pimped it on me.   :tup  Damn dude... I'm not sure how I missed they had a release this year - just a shorty 36 minute one though.  The technical wankery is strong here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2022, 09:18:31 AM »
Asterism is ridiculous. Those kids are just...kids. Amazing chops, all of them.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2022, 09:21:21 AM »

Four minutes of my life is far too valuable for Tool + growls.   :lol

Alright, alright... I give it a whirl.  Although, I do seem to recall trying DCF in the past, and it largely didn't stick with me.  Ok, I sampled it.  It doesn't suck so bad.  :lol

Asterism on the other hand... kicks fucking ass.  This was a recc'n that was well worth my while when you pimped it on me.   :tup  Damn dude... I'm not sure how I missed they had a release this year - just a shorty 36 minute one though.  The technical wankery is strong here.

Dude...you messaged me the day of said release...you're getting old bro. For the others, this year's release is an album of heavy metal covers of anime soundtracks. Some really good stuff in the mix for sure. Their other album, Guernica, is an instrumental concept album, Church being a tremendously strong track off that one.

Asterism is ridiculous. Those kids are just...kids. Amazing chops, all of them.

Yup...it's going to be so much fun watching them in the coming years, really hope the US festival circuit picks them up, especially Aftershock, they'd fucking crush it on that stage.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2022, 09:36:40 AM »

Yup...it's going to be so much fun watching them in the coming years, really hope the US festival circuit picks them up, especially Aftershock, they'd fucking crush it on that stage.

Yeah, maybe something like ProgPower.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2022, 09:38:51 AM »
RJ, are you familiar at all with Sithu Aye?
Photobucket sucks.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2022, 09:52:40 AM »
Ooh, that's a good mention.  He does have a bit of Japanese flair to some of his stuff. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2022, 09:59:29 AM »
Holy shit.  Now that you mention it, I do remember mentioning it to you.  :lolpalm:

I just didn't note it in the list I keep track of for all new albums I sample.  :facepalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2022, 10:20:21 AM »
I just didn't note it in the list I keep track of for all new albums I sample.  :facepalm:

I start a list every year, but by August/Sept, I basically stop adding things to the list for some reason.

This year, I have stayed pretty much up to date though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2022, 10:29:53 AM »

Yuo, even saw them live, can't remember who they opened for. Great stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2022, 10:31:33 AM »

I start a list every year, but by August/Sept, I basically stop adding things to the list for some reason.

This year, I have stayed pretty much up to date though.

I don't have a complete list, but I do have a firm top five, two of which will make an appearance here. (one is actually next on the list)

Keeping my aoty spot open for the Nemophila release on 12/14

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2022, 10:39:19 AM »
I'm talking about a list of EVERYTHING that I sample - so I remember what I've heard, and what I haven't.  Before I did this, I'd find myself in situation such as seeing an album in November and think "oooh... I should check that out" - meanwhile, I already did back in Februrary, and didn't care for it.

This year's list is up to 154 albums atm.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2022, 11:12:45 AM »

That would've been Haken I think. When you mentioned heavy metal anime covers it made me think of his Senpai series.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2022, 11:14:44 AM »

That would've been Haken I think. When you mentioned heavy metal anime covers it made me think of his Senpai series.

Yep, pretty sure it was Haken. If you dug that stuff, definitely check Asterism's new album out...

https://open.spotify.com/album/2fc5Ue7wQIl72i6U0QyUrX?si=0I2JMCQpSnG5v-0m-NAmVA&utm_source=copy-link

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2022, 12:44:58 PM »

Yep, pretty sure it was Haken. If you dug that stuff, definitely check Asterism's new album out...

https://open.spotify.com/album/2fc5Ue7wQIl72i6U0QyUrX?si=0I2JMCQpSnG5v-0m-NAmVA&utm_source=copy-link

Oh once I'm back home I FL I plan in checking everything from this list out. I discovered a ton of good stuff when you did your top songs of the decade countdown a couple years ago.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2022, 09:29:38 AM »
#39 Bloodywood- Rakshak (2022)

The most recent addition to my list...not just one of the two albums from 2022, but a band who I only really started digging into in early October. I had heard of them, not sure if I sampled them before, but finally gave them a solid listen after their set at Aftershock. I didn't go that day, but it was a nearly unanimous opinion among the fan groups that among heavyweights like Muse, MCR, Lamb of God, Kiss, and Slipknot, it was Bloodywood who had the set of the festival. That was enough to make me click play, and man am I glad I did. Bloodywood is the unique marriage of Bollywood style background with traditional Indian instruments, heavy, heavy metal, and a brutally rapid fire rap vocal style that works to absolute perfection. Their themes come with a heavy handed message of varying sorts, their not just in it to make music, these guys want to make change in the process. There's definitely some heavy Rage influence to their music, but the Indian overtones paired with the insanely intense riffage really do the heavy lifting on this one. Bloodywood is one that's hard to really describe, you'll just have to give it a listen, and thank me afterwards...

Favorite Tracks- Gaddaar, Machi Bhasad, Dana-dan

Machi Bhasad- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsy5sJy5_34&ab_channel=Bloodywood

Dana-Dan- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a65A626Ed20&ab_channel=Bloodywood

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Lonestar's Top 50 Album Thread v 2.0 - #39
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2022, 09:50:54 AM »
Oof. I don't know, man.  :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2022, 09:57:52 AM »
Just click play...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2022, 10:03:46 AM »
I did!  :lol