Author Topic: FIFA World Cup Football 2022 (Qatar)  (Read 13154 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
FIFA World Cup Football 2022 (Qatar)
« on: November 14, 2022, 01:09:46 PM »
Do we need a thread for this? It's starting in a week!

I'm still on the fence with whether or not I'll watch, but since a bunch of the matches will be during day-time, I won't be able to see those anyway. Part of me wants to boycott, the other curious part of me would usually watch and follow everything, but this world cup is already tainted beyond repair I guess.

We'll see how much discussion this generates.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: FIFA World Cup Football 2022 (Qatar)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 01:18:18 PM »
I’ll be watching. I am a fan of the sport, I can give zero crap about politics they will always do what they want and us the affected ones can’t do a thing against the power. I am designated and that may be due to the 24 years of bad politics in my own country.

Anyways, I’ll be rooting for Brazil, Portugal and Argentina.

The only thing I will regret about Argentina lifting the trophy is that ESPN Argentina will be sooooo annoying talking about Messi for months if not years ALL DAYS forward. But I still want some LATAM country to lift the trophy it’s been ages since a South American country won a World Cup.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 01:33:43 PM »
I’ll be watching as always. This is only the second time Canada has qualified for the world cup, the first time being in 1986. They’re in a tough group, but I am hoping they can make an impact.

I’ll also be cheering for my home country of Wales, and also for England.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 01:49:19 PM »
Can't wait to travel to Philly to see a WC game in '26.  I saw the Brazil-Sweden 1-1 tie at the Pontiac Silverdome in '94....what a frickin' worldly experience! :tup

All of the politics and financial abuses of the WC were eloquently exposed in a book titled 'Red Card' a few years ago.  The horrible work conditions, deaths, and 'slavery' into building the stadiums for this are mind boggling in this day and age.  Nope, no money went into corrupt pockets from Russia and Qatar over the past decade   ;) >:(

I love how Qatar is paying some fans from Europe to attend, and then have them 'praise their monarchy and experience' , even if their experiences are rotten. What propaganda BS!!! 

Just don't drink in public, as well as be a gay person out in the open.   :censored

I'll still watch the games,   

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 01:56:43 PM »
It's a shit show, for sure. And people will watch, worldwide. Because it is the world's biggest sport after all. For all the boycotting that could possibly be done, people still don't want to miss it. But how this could have happened is pretty astonishing. 12 years ago everybody knew this was some corrupt bullshit, yet here we are, one week from the tournament starting.

and you bet I will watch when (not if) the Netherlands makes it far :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 07:09:29 PM »
I'll be watching...not even sure what political bs is running this time, but it's always something...

Will be pulling for the USA of course, and for my vatos down south El Tri.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 07:14:39 PM »
I saw the Brazil-Sweden 1-1 tie...

On behalf of every sports fan in America, please let me say...

:facepalm:

:)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 07:16:01 PM »
I'll watch when I can.

For anyone wanting to get drunk watching, just do a shot every time a player takes a dive. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 07:25:26 PM »
I could give a shit, honestly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 12:01:17 AM »
I'm on the fence about watching this. It's usually the high point of the year for me, but I really don't like the politics of Qatar and their disregard of human rights, plus that Sweden didn't manage do qualify this time. And it feels weird to watch it during the winter season - it's always been a summer event all these years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 12:47:04 AM »
Most people will watch, regardless of all the bs and corruption that lead to it, and in hindsight FIFA and Qatar then will say that it was a good tournament. And nothing will change.

That said I'm still undecided if I will watch any games, on one hand I don't think Germany will make it far and on the other hand I'm completely fed up with everything regarding professionell football. From functionaries to overpaid and arrogant so-called stars to UEFA and FIFA. The sport that I once followed almost religiously has left me more and more cold in recent years.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 02:48:17 AM »
I found all these boycott calls very tardive and meaningless. The tournament was awarded in 2010 if I remember correctly. Twelve years where "everyone" sat through the decision to award it to begin with, the idea of playing in the desert, the absurd move to winter time and no one did anything? rampant allegations and investigations into corruption and no one raised the issue when there was time? it was twelve freaking years, and no one did anything. And now some random players or coaches say that the cup is a bad thing? now Sepp Blatter, one of the most corrupt people in football history, dares to come out and say "yeah we were kinda bribed" 2 weeks away from the beginning of the tournament? screw you and your decision to not personally give the World Cup to Italy back in 2006, may Zidane's headbutt haunt you forever, you corrupt asshole.

Oh, and speaking of Italy, we have to see the second world cup in a row without the four time winners... and current reigning european champions. What a crying shame. We can at least say we boycotted Putin before it was cool, and Qatar as well  ;D

Without Italy, I'll just have to go with alternatives.

My usual approach to world cups is this one:

- Rooting for Germany since I like the nation and I've been there many times
- Rooting as well for any scandinavian countries 'cause I'd love to be there
- Rooting for some random weak teams just for the lulz of it, 'cause underdogs are always fun
- Rooting against France because screw you France (or better, screw you football team of France, I like the nation itself)

I don't think I'll watch on purpouse any full match, I barely watch football anymore and I watch just the national team during a world or european cup. I'll probably watch some moments if I have nothing better to do. I'll just have a passive interest, I'll follow the results and fantasize about possible outcomes, that's all.

I hope this Cup tanks and bombs and will blow under every organizative aspect and that the failure will haunt everyone involved with going through this. Nothing personal against the Qatar team, but I hope they will receive blatant favors just like South Korea in 2002 just to highlight further the corruption of it all.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 03:51:01 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline billboy73

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2022, 07:41:19 AM »
I will be watching for sure and rooting for the US.  I don't have high hopes for us getting out of the group stage though.  The US kits are terrible for the World Cup too, so bad.  Just give us the Waldos.  At least we'll look good when we lose.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 08:19:00 AM »
Speaking of groups, in Group E we have Germany and Japan together. Italy is missing, but there's Spain in the group, and Spain had too a fascist dictatorship. So Group E is the Axis group essentially  :biggrin: USA and England are together as well in Group B, if France was there as well, it could have been the Allied group  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 04:57:43 PM »
*blows vuvuzela*

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2022, 07:59:55 AM »
*blows vuvuzela*

That‘s so last decade.  ;)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2022, 10:42:30 AM »
I'm not gonna watch for obvious reasons but have fun for those of you who will watch. Will be tough without any 'real' football for 1 ½ month but at least I got some extra time in the weekends and work during normal days so.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2022, 12:46:53 PM »
I could give a shit, honestly.

I could not.

I saw the Brazil-Sweden 1-1 tie...

On behalf of every sports fan in America, please let me say...

:facepalm:

:)

That's the thing.  Some ridiculous percentage of these games end in ties, and they decide championship games on penalty kicks:facepalm:

Maybe if the U.S. does something interesting I'll poke me head in.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2022, 12:57:04 PM »
I've decided to root for, in order:

Germany (I don't really want them to actually win a fifth cup but hey, I have already a flag so.....)
Denmark (Go Scandinavia!)
Netherlands (Cool people all around, and they're long due a worldwide consacration, after three finals lost)
Canada (Gotta pick an underdog)
Australia (Go kangaroos!)

Other sympathies will be for Croatia (oh, how I wish they won the final 4 years ago), Costa Rica and for the african teams.

Anyway, a spoilerish look at how the knockout phase can shape up:

NETHERLANDS vs USA or WALES
-
ARGENTINA vs DENMARK or AUSTRALIA
===
SPAIN or GERMANY vs BELGIUM or CROATIA
-
BRAZIL vs URUGUAY or PORTUGAL
=====
=====
ENGLAND vs SENEGAL or ECUADOR
-
FRANCE vs MEXICO or POLAND
===
CROATIA or BELGIUM vs GERMANY or SPAIN
-
PORTUGAL or URUGUAY vs SWITZERLAND or SERBIA or CAMERUN

Mh, looks that Spain and Germany should aim to arrive second in their own group, the road might be easier that way. As long, of course, as the other favorite teams all win their groups.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2022, 05:02:29 AM »
On the one hand, I know that this World Cup was built on blood and the stomping of human rights and that it deserves to be boicotted.
On the other, it will be Messi's last chance to win it and I can't help it, I need to root for him and for my country. I will be paying attention and watching interesting matches as long as my work allow it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2022, 05:43:31 AM »
Just for curiosity I went and checked how Messi stumbled on the way to the World Cup. Wow. Since 2006 Argentina lost three times in a row against Germany (and then against France last time around for good measure).

Every team has their "black beasts" where they seem to always lose to. For example Germany, between 2006 and 2012, either at the World Cup or European Cup lost four times in a row against either Italy or Spain. The very first time they didn't meet neither, in 2014, they became World champions.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2022, 07:40:53 AM »
Every team has their "black beasts" where they seem to always lose to. For example Germany, between 2006 and 2012, either at the World Cup or European Cup lost four times in a row against either Italy or Spain. The very first time they didn't meet neither, in 2014, they became World champions.

And when they finally beat Italy in 2016 they didn't win the cup.  :D

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2022, 07:55:19 AM »
So it seems Qatar has changed their minds, and aren't allowing beer sales at all, just wine and hard booze. Oh...and the booze sales are only allowed in luxury boxes, because fuck the poor or something.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2022, 09:47:23 AM »
They even vetoed "pork products", so goodbye beloved ham for Spain! (and for every other team who enjoys it)

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2022, 09:54:27 AM »
So it seems Qatar has changed their minds, and aren't allowing beer sales at all, just wine and hard booze. Oh...and the booze sales are only allowed in luxury boxes, because fuck the poor or something.

If they said from the beginning, that they are a muslim country and therefore no alcohol was allowed, I could get behind that. But cancel an agreement two days before the start and then still sell alcohol to those rich fucks shows just how stupid this whole thing is.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2022, 11:36:59 AM »

If they said from the beginning, that they are a muslim country and therefore no alcohol was allowed, I could get behind that. But cancel an agreement two days before the start and then still sell alcohol to those rich fucks shows just how stupid this whole thing is.

Shouldnt people already understand that Qatar is a Muslim country and therefore it's Sovereignty as its own Nation should be upheld. Just like we uphold Ukraine's Sovereignty.

Honestly this just makes me laugh at the ignorance of humans about culture and sovereignty. What did people expect, that the Muslim Nation would suddenly disregard its own cultural values, traditions, customs, and ways of life, just for the Sport of Football.  :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2022, 01:04:04 PM »
Budweiser has a huge lawsuit on their hands. The contract was broken. They spent 75 million to sponsor and serve beer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2022, 02:34:51 PM »
Not sure what Ukraine has got to do with it.

But Qatar had an agreement with FIFA and probably a contract with Budweiser which they now canceled. That's nothing to do with culture.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2022, 02:45:59 PM »

But Qatar had an agreement with FIFA and probably a contract with Budweiser which they now canceled. That's nothing to do with culture.

My point...What makes you think they would acknowledge a contract? Businesses do not control the world. Nations and Governments do.

Also, Budweiser has Non-Alcoholic beer right?

Plus, if alcohol is involved in how humans react when certain Sports Games don't go their way and begin to riot because they can't control themselves due to being intoxicated, how would you handle this? Qatar also doesn't want their home to become a warzone in the chance the fans do escalate their excitement into the streets.

It has everything to do with culture, as Sports Culture involves beer, and apparently, Sports Fans just have to have beer when watching Sports. And that is pretty damn funny to me how people just need to have beer or else the game won't be enjoyable.

AP - Qatar bans beer at World Cup Stadiums

ESPN - Qatar bans all beer sales at the World Cup

Just got to love culture clashes right?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2022, 03:25:33 PM »
I'm all for not selling alcohol at large events. But that's not the point here. It just shows that Qatar doesn't give a fuck about what was agreed. And all those that argue, that the world cup will make Qatar a better country should look closely.

Let's see how FIFA, an organization more corrupt than all third world countries combined, will try to cover the loss.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2022, 03:32:07 PM »
Ben,  because of liability. They will pay for this. Plus, they will never host a world sports event again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2022, 04:46:54 PM »
Ben,  because of liability. They will pay for this. Plus, they will never host a world sports event again.

They won't pay a single dime. Budweiser's contract is with FIFA, not with Qatar. This is a stupid decision because it goes against their intention of sportswashing their terrible laws and human rights issues, not because it costs them money.
This was a great opportunity for them to showna different face to the world, but instead they are chosing to be themselves openly.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2022, 05:03:06 PM »

My point...What makes you think they would acknowledge a contract? Businesses do not control the world. Nations and Governments do.

Also, Budweiser has Non-Alcoholic beer right?

Plus, if alcohol is involved in how humans react when certain Sports Games don't go their way and begin to riot because they can't control themselves due to being intoxicated, how would you handle this? Qatar also doesn't want their home to become a warzone in the chance the fans do escalate their excitement into the streets.

It has everything to do with culture, as Sports Culture involves beer, and apparently, Sports Fans just have to have beer when watching Sports. And that is pretty damn funny to me how people just need to have beer or else the game won't be enjoyable.

AP - Qatar bans beer at World Cup Stadiums

ESPN - Qatar bans all beer sales at the World Cup

Just got to love culture clashes right?

But they didn't completely ban it, they just banned it for everyone not rich. So their 'muslim culture' is only applicable to the poor, if you have enough money, muslim rules don't apply. It's fucking stupid.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2022, 05:37:50 AM »
So, here we are, the World Cup finally starts with the worst and most cloying speech in the history of whataboutism by Infantino (head of Fifa).

I still have to understand if videos of "fans" coming from "all over the world" who all suspiciously look the same, and definitively not brazilian, argentinian or germans, are a parody or are an actual thing.

Anyway, I don't like how the combination of Covid and a winter world cup means that France has been world champions for four years and a half, while Italy will be european champion for three  ;D