Author Topic: FIFA World Cup Football 2022 (Qatar)  (Read 13146 times)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: FIFA World Cup Football 2022 (Qatar)
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2022, 06:53:07 AM »
As this is nothing but a big propaganda event for Qatar, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the 'fans' are bought. There were enough believable rumours.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2022, 08:07:55 AM »
My interest in football is middling at the best of times, so this will be an easy one to boycott.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2022, 09:27:18 AM »
Just remembered North America is hosting 2026, and Seattle will be a venue. I want no part of this anywhere near me. I fear my wife will want to go to a game. Maybe we can get Taylor Swift'ed out of tickets. Of course they want these host cities to look as good as possible for international TV, so maybe they will clean up the homeless and filth - or maybe they'll just hide it for the weeks the camera crews are here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2022, 09:43:20 AM »
Just remembered North America is hosting 2026, and Seattle will be a venue. I want no part of this anywhere near me. I fear my wife will want to go to a game. Maybe we can get Taylor Swift'ed out of tickets. Of course they want these host cities to look as good as possible for international TV, so maybe they will clean up the homeless and filth - or maybe they'll just hide it for the weeks the camera crews are here.

When we hosted the Superbowl, even though the game was in Santa Clara, they held all the festivities in SF, with a huge SB city by Pier 1. They literally did a sweep a few weeks before, pushing the homeless to other districts for the week.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2022, 09:49:39 AM »
When we hosted the Superbowl, even though the game was in Santa Clara, they held all the festivities in SF, with a huge SB city by Pier 1. They literally did a sweep a few weeks before, pushing the homeless to other districts for the week.

Right. Nothing to see here, enjoy the beautiful city!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2022, 02:22:58 PM »
Following it as much as I can. Rooting for Croatia ofc, tough draw but I believe they can at least advance from group stage.

First game, Qatar can be happy they conceded only 2.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2022, 03:32:25 PM »
The rumours that they bribed Ecuador for a victory were false then  :lol

Well, if their performance is this poor, I might as well hope for a 0-6 defeat against the Netherlands just for the lulz.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2022, 04:32:26 AM »
I am probably watching a match with friends later this week, but I decided to not watch the tournament as a whole, unlike other editions.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2022, 05:19:41 AM »
I saw the Brazil-Sweden 1-1 tie...

On behalf of every sports fan in America, please let me say...

:facepalm:

I hear ya  :lol 

but....that entire day was one hell of an experience. Look at who was playing.  I was much younger, and, dare I say it, .... the eye candy before, during, and after the game was ... uhm, er...'memorable’.😉👍
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 09:42:24 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2022, 08:21:08 AM »
England trashed Iran 6-2.

Well, now I raise my expectations, I want a 0-8 defeat for Qatar against the Netherlands  :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 08:45:00 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2022, 08:49:48 AM »
England trashed Iran 6-2.

Well, now I raise my expectations, I want a 0-8 defeat for Qatar against the Netherlands  :D

I fully expect Netherlands to take them to the woodshed.

Didn't see the England game, but it sounds like it wasn't even that close, my dad watched, and said they were basically toying with them the whole time.

It's early, but I'd gather this is a must win for the US today. I figure we're all gonna slap around Iran, and England will be a tough win at best for all the teams in the group, so to move forward, we need to take down Wales, and vice versa. Should be a solid grudge match there.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2022, 10:29:40 AM »
Well, so far The Netherlands have found their equal in Senegal. And I must say I’m not too impressed with the Orange.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2022, 11:05:04 AM »
Well, so far The Netherlands have found their equal in Senegal. And I must say I’m not too impressed with the Orange.

So yay, we won. But I’m honestly unsure whether this was a deserved win. A tie would have suited this match better, or even a 1-0 win from Senegal.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2022, 11:11:13 AM »
Iran's team visibly refused to sing their national anthem before their game. Brave men, the lot of them.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2022, 11:59:33 AM »
Yes!

On the other hand there, FIFA threatens to give yellow cards to any captains wearing a ‘OneLove’ bracelet and then all European teams just don’t wear it. What a weak move from FIFA (are they fully in Qatar’s pocket already?), but also seems like a weak statement from the UEFA teams to just comply.

Anyway, the FIFA is a shit organisation led by crooks, but we kind if knew that already. Thus ridiculous World Cup just reinforces that idea.
Squ

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2022, 12:08:50 PM »
What's sad about the armband situation is that its not like it wasn't a predictable response by FIFA. Have some guts and call their bluff.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2022, 12:36:05 PM »
Did you guys see the nice gift bags most spectators got?...

https://youtu.be/gkWwqjm4-HI

At least everyone is smelling good there.  :biggrin:

I haven't been able to catch a game yet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2022, 02:12:05 PM »
I enjoyed England’s 6-2 rout of Iran, but the Netherland’s-Senegal match was a complete snoozefest.

USA vs Wales. I thought Wales were doomed after playing so poorly in the first half, but they woke up in the second half. We’ll take the 1-1 draw.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2022, 03:28:58 PM »
I missed the part where George Weah, AC Milan legend, had a son that could play for the USA.

Tomorrow four matches. Go Denmark and Australia!

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2022, 07:26:32 PM »
I missed the part where George Weah, AC Milan legend, had a son that could play for the USA.
Hopefully he's better than his infamous 'cousin':

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Dia

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2022, 05:10:08 AM »
Argentina 1 - Saudi Arabia 2.

Yup, you read that correctly.

I did not see this coming. What's next, Italy losing against North Macedonia?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2022, 05:15:46 AM »
What the hell was that :lol
Squ

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2022, 05:22:14 AM »
What the hell was that :lol

It's a clever masterplan to have Messi vs Ronaldo in the final, if Argentina and Portugal both win their groups, they will meet at the latest in the semifinal.

:P

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2022, 07:14:11 AM »
Dafuq?

Just checked the highlights, seems the Saudi goalie had a career game, definitely a stud performance. Doesn't help that Argentina had a bazillion goals called back for offsides
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:22:00 AM by lonestar »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2022, 09:00:55 AM »
But that’s part of the game, and the rules. Score goals, but make sure you’re not ahead of the defenders when you get the ball played to you. Shame it happened 3 (more even?) times, but you could also say it’s the attackers’ faults for not paying more attention.

(I did not watch the game, so perhaps they were all very unlucky and barely offsides, but in times where we have VAR checking every slight possibility you’d think teams would train on making sure they won’t be offside).
Squ

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2022, 12:57:35 PM »
My interest in football is middling at the best of times, so this will be an easy one to boycott.
I'm the same boat.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2022, 03:29:27 PM »
0-0 between Denmark vs Tunisia and Mexico vs Poland.

And, since the gods of football already granted a miracle today, Australia's initial lead against the world champions (France) turned out into a 4-1 for said champions. It would have been glorious if France lost as well  ;D

Germany tomorrow, against Japan, since the world is so calm and at peace now, might as well do an Axis Powers derby!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2022, 07:28:41 PM »
It would have been glorious if France lost as well  ;D

If only it were a war.

:laugh:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2022, 01:03:05 AM »
Croatia vs Morocco today. Morocco have really solid team, Ziyech is back. But I think Croatia should beat them, if they continue their League of nations form. in 2018 they were 2nd in the world albeit having pretty easy draw until semifinals. In comparison to 2018, I think we have better goalkeeper and defence but two big misses are Rakitic in midfield (Kovacic is great player as well) and Mandzukic as central forward, there is no real replacement for him. I just hope whoever coach picks as CF (Kramaric, Budmimir, Petkovic, Livaja) will have tournament of his life and actually score some.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2022, 01:15:45 AM »
I just hope whoever coach picks as CF (Kramaric, Budmimir, Petkovic, Livaja) will have tournament of his life and actually score some.

Isn't that the key, after all? yeah, it's the World Cup, it's the dream of every player, but in the end, it's "just" a tournament of one month where you play at best 7 matches. You don't need to have the best players ever, you just need to have a group of people in good form that can fire on all cylinders for a month. For an entire season, you need a reliable champion, for one month and seven matches, you just need anyone who's good in that moment. Hell, that's how Italy won Germany 2006 and Euro Cup 2021, with the strength of the group and some players who activated the god mode for that specific tournament.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2022, 02:18:54 AM »
Well, yeah but none of them are really proven goalscorers on high level. Said that, Giroud didn't score any in 2018 World Cup and France won :D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2022, 08:06:06 AM »
Morocco - Croatia 0-0.

And.... Japan defeated Germany!!! 2-1 after being down one goal!!!  :o

And today we had as well our daily upset  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2022, 08:15:56 AM »
Watched Mexico v. Poland (I'm a Polack, so rooting for the fam, more or less) and disgusted to see instant replay being used to adjudge the game.  The great thing about futbol was always that it was 22 guys, 2 refs, a ball and shorts/tshirts.   The sport seemed oblivious to the technological advances - aluminum bats, padding, etc. - that have ravaged other sports.  Lo and behold, the ref is "under the hood" and grants a penalty kick to Poland.  Boo, to the process (the call was the right one and ultimately didn't affect the outcome, but we just got lucky on that).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2022, 08:17:28 AM »
Watched Mexico v. Poland (I'm a Polack, so rooting for the fam, more or less) and disgusted to see instant replay being used to adjudge the game.  The great thing about futbol was always that it was 22 guys, 2 refs, a ball and shorts/tshirts.   The sport seemed oblivious to the technological advances - aluminum bats, padding, etc. - that have ravaged other sports.  Lo and behold, the ref is "under the hood" and grants a penalty kick to Poland.  Boo, to the process (the call was the right one and ultimately didn't affect the outcome, but we just got lucky on that).

But yay to Ochoa for being a total fucking badass and making the save.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2022, 08:43:45 AM »
So Germany finally decided to boycott the World Cup.

Way to go guys  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D