Author Topic: FIFA World Cup Football 2022 (Qatar)  (Read 13177 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: FIFA World Cup Football 2022 (Qatar)
« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2022, 12:37:43 PM »
4-0 Brazil, not even halftime. Poor South Korea.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #211 on: December 05, 2022, 12:50:56 PM »
Well, this game is over already.

Well, yeah.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Animal

« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2022, 02:07:42 AM »
4-0 Brazil, not even halftime. Poor South Korea.

I started feeling bad for Koreans about 20 minutes into the game. Brazilians were joy to watch and there is no doubt that they are the single technically most gifted team at the tournament. I wonder if their superior football skills will be enough against top European teams that are better organized and more physical (true, none of the European teams really impressed so far so this time, unlike in 2014 and 2018, Brazilians might win the whole thing).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2022, 03:18:12 AM »
Yeah, the only doubt is: it was Brazil that was so good, or it was South Korea that was so average?

Frankly, I expected a 7-0, but it's clear they just saved themselves for the next match once victory was secure. Germany was more brutal and relentless with them in 2014.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2022, 10:47:44 AM »
Morroco drops Spain in penalties.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #215 on: December 06, 2022, 10:55:13 AM »
What a terrible match this was, unbelievable. Winning by showing the most boring play possible and then beating them on the penalty shootout. Completely undeserved if you ask me. Good keeper, Morocco, but the was abominable to watch.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #216 on: December 06, 2022, 10:57:29 AM »
That's what I dislike about soccer. You can be overmatched, play for a 0-0 tie, and then pray you win in it penalty kicks.  Can you imagine NHL playoff games being decided by penalty shots?  It's silly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: December 06, 2022, 11:07:55 AM »
I also hate the penalty shots.  I get that the game could go on for a very very long time, but I would prefer that be the way to settle this instead of a chance mini game. I'd rather it be the team with the most depth/stamina win vs. luck.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #218 on: December 06, 2022, 11:52:15 AM »
Spain had 77% ball possession. What the fuck.
Squ

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #219 on: December 06, 2022, 12:23:48 PM »
Not saying that Spain deserved to be out, but that endless passing game that they play is boring af to watch.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline faizoff

« Reply #220 on: December 06, 2022, 01:04:52 PM »
Didn't watch the game but read a stat that Spain had over a 1000 passes and 1 shot at goal, Morocco had ~300 passes and 2 shots on goal. Is that true? That's just baffling if so.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #221 on: December 06, 2022, 01:46:39 PM »
Yep
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2022, 01:25:37 AM »

The game is about putting the ball inside the other team's net, not about ball possession. It's always funny to see this tiki-taka shit getting pwned.

I also hate the penalty shots.  I get that the game could go on for a very very long time, but I would prefer that be the way to settle this instead of a chance mini game. I'd rather it be the team with the most depth/stamina win vs. luck.

Well, one way or the other you have to have a winner, and penalty shots are a decisive tiebreaker.

In the wiki article about penalties, I found a suggestion I like quite a lot: to have a penalty shootout before extra time, and have it serve as a tiebreaker only if extra time ends up in a draw.

That way, you'd have a more exciting extra time, with the team that lost trying to score, rather than both teams settling for the penalties.

Obviously, the team that wins the penalties could "park the bus" but hey, you'd have to defend for 30 minutes straight, a mistake can condemn you.

In other World Cup news, Portugal trashes Switzerland 6-1. Didn't expect it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 02:10:51 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2022, 01:26:54 AM »

I'd hardly call Penalties luck.  It's a test of skill and holding your nerve.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #224 on: December 07, 2022, 01:33:35 AM »

The game is about putting the ball inside the other team's neat, not about ball possession. It's always funny to see this tiki-taka shit getting pwned.
For me, the only "real" tiki-taka is how Barcelona played under Guardiola, and maybe when Spain when they won Euros and WC 10 years ago (well, that was practically Barca team). Even he said he don't want possession just for sake of it. Sadly, Spain today play for passes and possession without being direct and fast.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: December 07, 2022, 02:27:33 AM »

My critique is that it reduces a team game to a series of 1 v 1, and puts a disproportionate amount of responsibility on the goalkeeper compared to the rest of the game.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #226 on: December 07, 2022, 02:34:29 AM »

My critique is that it reduces a team game to a series of 1 v 1, and puts a disproportionate amount of responsibility on the goalkeeper compared to the rest of the game.

Actually the goalkeeper is the one with less to lose in the penalty shootout. Everyone remembers the players who missed an important penalty. No one ever went against a goalkeeper blaming him for not saving one.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #227 on: December 07, 2022, 02:52:23 AM »
I'm not too pleased with penalties as the tie-breaker but I don't know what could be done instead.

At least it's not a toin coss like they used to do some long time ago.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #228 on: December 07, 2022, 03:29:37 AM »
Play until nobody can even stand on their legs :lol

Fun fact: Brozovic broke his own record in distance covered: 16.7 km iirc. And then he was fit enough to score a penalty after 120 minutes. Lungs of steel. Ironically, I think he's smoker :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: December 07, 2022, 07:12:59 AM »
I'm not too pleased with penalties as the tie-breaker but I don't know what could be done instead.

After the 9 minutes is over I would do the following: 1 ET of 20 minutes where in each minute one player of each team is dragged out of the pitch until the time is up. The team that scores the most in that period of time wins.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #230 on: December 08, 2022, 05:05:22 AM »
So these are the best 8 teams:

NETHERLANDS vs ARGENTINA
-----------------
BRAZIL vs CROATIA

==================
ENGLAND vs FRANCE
-----------------
PORTUGAL vs MOROCCO

How do you think it's gonna go? how do you WISH it would go?

My dream: a final Netherlands vs Morocco

My expectation: Brazil vs France

I guess I'm gonna root for the Netherlands, Morocco and Croatia.... these are the "problems" I have with the other teams (of course said all in jest and not to be taken too seriously):

Not England because "it's coming home" and we're never gonna hear the end of it
Not Argentina because you'll never hear the end of it from Messi's fanboys
Not Portugal because you'll never hear the end of it from Ronaldo's fanboys (unless he doesn't start up from the beginning like with Switzerland, and the others take the glory)
Not Brazil because they have already 5 cups and they're gonna add another one
Not France, ESPECIALLY not France, because they'll be just one cup short behind Italy, and also they would win twice in a row, a feat only Brazil and Italy accomplished.

So ranking the best case scenario from worst case scenario I'd say:

Netherlands (if Morocco isn't in the final)
Morocco (if the Netherlands aren't in the final - they already lost 3 finals, enough is enough)
Croatia (all the world but the french rooted for them in 2018)
Portugal (yeah, Ronaldo is gonna build a golden statue to his own dick, but hey, they never won it)
Argentina (they'd reach 3 cups, too close, also all the rants about Messi)
Brazil (6 cups are too much, and their collective dances are annoying)
England (World cup one year after Italy defeated them in the Euro cup and didn't even qualify? geez, no)
France (nope nope nope, they must not win two cups in a row)

Having said that and wished bad luck to 5 teams out of 8, I have however to admit that Mbappè is a monster player and it would be very cool to see him measure up against the legends of our time (Messi and CR7) and see if the rising youth will dethrone the two reigning football kings (the irony, since it's France who's currently world champions). Also I don't really have anything against the english players themselves or their coach, it's just the worst part of their fanbase who's really annoying.

Argentina vs Brazil (who's the south american best team?) and France vs Portugal (Mbappè vs Ronaldo or the rising starts behind CR7) would undoubtedly be the most exciting semifinals. But as an outsider, nothing beats the pleasure of an underdog winning  ;D

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #231 on: December 08, 2022, 05:14:03 AM »
I'm all for the Netherlands, they've lost enough finals, it's time they win some.

And I would also root for Portugal, if it weren't for CR7. Great football player but absolute despicable human being.

But I think it will come down to Brazil or France.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #232 on: December 08, 2022, 05:52:02 AM »
I think if Croatia win agains Brazil they can go all the way. Brazil is obviously great team, great attack. The question is how will basically one defensively oriented midfielder (Casemiro) play against Modric, Brozovic and Kovacic. Will there be another midfielder (Fred, Fabinho...), which attacker will be benched, etc? This is the first for Brazil this WC where they can actually be dominated in midfield.

Being Messi fanboy, you'd expect me to want him to have it but Argentina didn't show much so far so I don't care for them.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2022, 09:02:00 AM »
Also I don't really have anything against the english players themselves or their coach, it's just the worst part of their fanbase who's really annoying.

Agreed (and I'm English). 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #234 on: December 08, 2022, 10:43:21 AM »
I don't get what's so annoying about the Brazilians dancing. I love it...and I'm not even a fan of the kind of music these players like. But it's a celebration of excelling at something on a world stage. Most of these guys would be beggars in the streets if it wasn't for football, so I'd celebrate even more if I was in their place.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #235 on: December 08, 2022, 02:28:27 PM »
My predictions are meaningless, but:

The Netherlands - Argentina can really go both ways. I will root for my home country, but wouldn't mind a Messi win either.

Brazil - Croatia . I think Croatia are going t get trampled to be honest.

England - France . As much as I'd like England to win, there's too much good stuff in the French team for them to lose this one.

Portugal - Morocco . Seriously, they're not going to pull the same stunt again. Portugal did better than Spain so far. I don't like Ronaldo at all though, so they can lose to France after this match for all I care.
Squ

Offline Animal

« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2022, 12:18:15 AM »
I don't get what's so annoying about the Brazilians dancing. I love it...and I'm not even a fan of the kind of music these players like. But it's a celebration of excelling at something on a world stage. Most of these guys would be beggars in the streets if it wasn't for football, so I'd celebrate even more if I was in their place.

I think it is a cultural thing - some people just can't accept that others display their emotions in a different way. I wouldn't dance the way the do even if someone put a gun to my head and I enjoy Brazilians' dancing way less than their football - but I am fine with them doing it. Who else should be dancing if not Brazilians?

Offline Animal

« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2022, 12:25:43 AM »
I think if Croatia win agains Brazil they can go all the way. Brazil is obviously great team, great attack. The question is how will basically one defensively oriented midfielder (Casemiro) play against Modric, Brozovic and Kovacic. Will there be another midfielder (Fred, Fabinho...), which attacker will be benched, etc? This is the first for Brazil this WC where they can actually be dominated in midfield.

Being Messi fanboy, you'd expect me to want him to have it but Argentina didn't show much so far so I don't care for them.

Not sure about Croatia this time. They impressed at the previous WC and I was rooting for them to win the whole thing (and really disappointed when they lost to France). But they were nowhere near as good at last Euro and they don't seem like a favorite now either, as much as I would like them to win (if my home country,Czechia, is absent from WC, which is almost every single time, Croatia is regularly one of the teams I root for).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2022, 02:36:42 AM »

I think it is a cultural thing - some people just can't accept that others display their emotions in a different way. I wouldn't dance the way the do even if someone put a gun to my head and I enjoy Brazilians' dancing way less than their football - but I am fine with them doing it. Who else should be dancing if not Brazilians?

It feels too much staged and coreographed, especially with the whole team joining. I get it's a cultural thing, and that many other players "customized" their celebration as well, but one thing is seeing Mbappè putting his hands beneath the armpits or CR7 doing his jump with spread arms, another is seeing an entire team (minus the goalkeeper) joining together for a dance and doing it again and again for every single goal, it feels a bit.... cringey,  dunno? If a single player feels like doing a dance after a goal it's fine, when the whole team does it over and over it feels like a rehearsed coreography without any spontaneity. And I would get the same vibe from any other group celebration, it's not the dance itself, it's everyone joining to do it every single time (whatever might be the actual thing they're doing) that feels too TikTok-ish.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2022, 03:15:21 AM »
I don't think the dancing in itself was the problem but to do it after every goal, even if you have a commanding lead was seen as disrespectful by the opponent.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2022, 03:16:51 AM »

It feels too much staged and coreographed, especially with the whole team joining. I get it's a cultural thing, and that many other players "customized" their celebration as well, but one thing is seeing Mbappè putting his hands beneath the armpits or CR7 doing his jump with spread arms, another is seeing an entire team (minus the goalkeeper) joining together for a dance and doing it again and again for every single goal, it feels a bit.... cringey,  dunno? If a single player feels like doing a dance after a goal it's fine, when the whole team does it over and over it feels like a rehearsed coreography without any spontaneity. And I would get the same vibe from any other group celebration, it's not the dance itself, it's everyone joining to do it every single time (whatever might be the actual thing they're doing) that feels too TikTok-ish.

MirrorMask the Italian Roy Keane!  ;D

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2022, 04:49:01 AM »

It feels staged and choreographed because it IS 100% staged and choreographed. They like to celebrate! Maybe we should have a procedure in place for celebrations, to establish what is allowed and what's not allowed...what is offensive and what isn't. Perhaps we could make it mandatory for players to apologize to the opponent for the unsurmountable oppression of scoring a goal and putting them at a disadvantage? What do you say?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #242 on: December 09, 2022, 06:02:24 AM »
Dutch vs Argentina - Please let the Dutch win this.  It's not a great Dutch team - doesn't have the names of previous era's, but they do seem a decent unit. 
Brazil vs Croatia - Got to be Brazil.  This isn't a great Croatia, and this Brazil are fun to watch again (although I hate Neymar).
England vs France - Well I'm English so.....losing to France would hurt a lot.
Portugal vs Morocco - Hopefully Portugal will win and Ronny will be left sulking on the bench.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #243 on: December 09, 2022, 06:58:27 AM »

It feels staged and choreographed because it IS 100% staged and choreographed. They like to celebrate! Maybe we should have a procedure in place for celebrations, to establish what is allowed and what's not allowed...what is offensive and what isn't. Perhaps we could make it mandatory for players to apologize to the opponent for the unsurmountable oppression of scoring a goal and putting them at a disadvantage? What do you say?

Oh, come on. No need to go to the extreme doing strawman examples which are obviously exagerated. And when did I say it I found it offensive? I don't think it's offensive, it's just a bit cringey. The point are not the brazilians or the dance, it's doing the same thing over and over, I would find equally weird if....

- the germans after every single goal would join together to mimic drinking beer.
- the english after every single goal would join together to mimic sipping tea.
- the new zealand players after every single goal would join together for a maori dance.
- the french players after single goal would join together and, dunno, climb on each other in formation to create the shape of the Eiffel tower?

At the end of a match usually a team goes to the sector where their supporters are, that would be a more natural moment to perform whatever coreography a team invented to celebreate, rather than a goal. England defeated Iran 6-2, if you think it would have been cool to see for SIX TIMES ten players joining together to mimic sipping tea, well, congratulations, you have more tolerance for non-spontaneous, TikTok-ish celebratory moves than me.

Dutch vs Argentina - Please let the Dutch win this.  It's not a great Dutch team - doesn't have the names of previous era's, but they do seem a decent unit. 
Brazil vs Croatia - Got to be Brazil.  This isn't a great Croatia, and this Brazil are fun to watch again (although I hate Neymar).
England vs France - Well I'm English so.....losing to France would hurt a lot.
Portugal vs Morocco - Hopefully Portugal will win and Ronny will be left sulking on the bench.

I'm more or less with you. Rooting for the european teams (underdogs in both matches), but I assume and expect the south american ones will go through.

For England and France, it would be fun if any team would trash the other, but if there's a team winning 4-0, it's gonna be France. I can't imagine England destroying France, but hey, who knows.

And yeah, as much as I root for Morocco, Portugal will get through, and it would be fun if they'd achieve another crystal clear victory without CR7.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #244 on: December 09, 2022, 07:54:31 AM »
Are Dutch really underdogs agains Argentina? Argentina didn't show much so far, other than a few individual flashes.