Author Topic: All Things Caffeinated - The Keep It Moving Thread  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: All Things Caffeinated - The Keep It Moving Thread
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2022, 08:24:00 AM »
One cup a day.  That's it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2022, 09:36:14 AM »
it tastes like water from an ashtray left outside in a thunderstorm.

This is so descriptive that it implies you just might have sampled this at one point  :lol
I have.  Every time I've had Starbucks coffee.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2022, 12:11:04 PM »
I was a total caffeine head my whole life up until a couple of months ago. Stressed myself into prostatitis over my wife's health and went cold turkey. Worst 7 days of my life followed but now I am clear of it. The only thing I notice is I am more tired. If I'm not doing something to hold my interest I'll doze off like an old man.

Funny thing, my browser wants to correct prostatitis to prostitutes. I guess I could've stressed myself into those as well.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2022, 12:41:04 PM »
it tastes like water from an ashtray left outside in a thunderstorm.

This is so descriptive that it implies you just might have sampled this at one point  :lol
I have.  Every time I've had Starbucks coffee.

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2022, 02:15:48 PM »
I like coffee but only can usually can only have 1 cup a day.  I don't think it's very good on your stomach, but maybe that's just me. 
Try tapering down the caffeine. Knock it down to 75-25 caffeinated for a month. Then 50-50. Slowly find a good balance. I started decreasing the caffeine for the same reason. Settled around 70-30. I still get the caffeine buzz in the morning but it doesn't bother my tummy. Once you figure out a ratio you like you can also tweak the flavors you like.

1 cup is too much?  1 cup usually isn't too much of a problem but as soon as I think about a second cup.....forget it.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what those ratios you mention mean.
Well, a cup for me is a 16oz tumbler. And while I never felt particularly bad after drinking 16oz of regular coffee, once I knocked back the caffeine I noticed that I did feel much better. Not was I was shooting for, I was just trying to limit my caffeine because, as you say, it's not great for the stomach. Feeling better was a bonus.

As for the ratios, I currently buy two pounds of coffee (an American pound is 12oz now), one regular and one decaf. I dump all of the decaf and half of the regular into the big jar and shake it up real good. That gets me 1/3 caffeinated and works fine. I also started using flavored coffee for the 1/3. While I don't care for flavored coffee on its own, when mixed 1-2 with regular dark roast it works great because it's very subtle.

Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation Barto.  That's all too much trouble for me though.  Boiling a kettle is almost too much of a pain in the ass some days.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2022, 02:16:42 PM »

Yeah, I just don't feel the need for anything more than that personally.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2022, 03:02:59 PM »

It used to be two cups for the longest time but decided to implement a 50% intake reduction.  Coffee is usually good for you, but I need cream and sugar which isn't so good at my old age.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2022, 03:09:27 PM »

It used to be two cups for the longest time but decided to implement a 50% intake reduction.  Coffee is usually good for you, but I need cream and sugar which isn't so good at my old age.

That's always the downside.  The calories in the milk and sugar rack up pretty quick with a couple of cups a day.  Black coffee is fine but I find it makes the stomach irritation worse.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2022, 03:18:53 PM »
How hardcore about calories would one have to be to even worry about cream & sugar in coffee?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2022, 06:15:05 PM »
How hardcore about calories would one have to be to even worry about cream & sugar in coffee?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2022, 06:35:28 AM »

I think it depends, add a bit of cream and a bit of sugar to your morning cup, probably not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Buying a Venti double frap triple whip ice mocha latte is basically drinking a liquid big mac.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2022, 06:43:37 AM »
I don't care about the calories so much, but when I got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I switched from sugar to Splenda.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2022, 08:57:42 AM »

That's always the downside.  The calories in the milk and sugar rack up pretty quick with a couple of cups a day.  Black coffee is fine but I find it makes the stomach irritation worse.

Yeah, the cream definitely neutralizes some of the acid for sure and I have never liked black coffee anyway.

I don't care about the calories so much, but when I got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I switched from sugar to Splenda.

Yep, not just about calories.  I am actually pre-diabetic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2022, 06:31:38 PM »

I think it depends, add a bit of cream and a bit of sugar to your morning cup, probably not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Buying a Venti double frap triple whip ice mocha latte is basically drinking a liquid big mac.

People certainly underestimate the calories in most of these things.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2022, 06:40:05 PM »

I'm full blown Type 2, and I trust a teaspoon of sugar in my body over some unknown chemical sweetener.
The Sugar In The Raw pure cane sugar is better than white sugar obviously, but a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee shouldn't throw anyone off. Of course, anyone is welcome to cut it out if they want.

Who the fuck orders that??  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2022, 06:44:51 PM »
Not pleabians like you Tim.

BTW, I'm with you. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2022, 06:50:27 PM »

BTW, I'm with you. Lol

You ever listen to anyone order coffee? Talk about sounding like an asshole..I could never work at a coffee shop.
Yeah, I'd like a semi dark roast with sweet & low, a bit of almond milk, a splash of hazelnut and some whipped cream and cinnamon dust. I'd be like GTFO of here with that shit. It's fucking called coffee people. Cream and/or sugar??

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2022, 07:20:08 PM »

BTW, I'm with you. Lol

You ever listen to anyone order coffee? Talk about sounding like an asshole..I could never work at a coffee shop.
Yeah, I'd like a semi dark roast with sweet & low, a bit of almond milk, a splash of hazelnut and some whipped cream and cinnamon dust. I'd be like GTFO of here with that shit. It's fucking called coffee people. Cream and/or sugar??

So, basically you are Paulie. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLyn_feOptg (the guy who rants about the coffee)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2022, 07:26:28 PM »
So now I can't say that I have watched a minute of The Sopranos. Gee thanks Kev.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2022, 07:29:41 PM »
You are going to be enlightened one way or the other, even if we have to drag you there.  :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2022, 07:39:24 PM »
Tim is too busy to watch TV unless it's live sports. It would cut into guessing songs in roulettes. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2022, 07:41:23 PM »
 :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2022, 08:47:53 PM »

I'm full blown Type 2, and I trust a teaspoon of sugar in my body over some unknown chemical sweetener.
The Sugar In The Raw pure cane sugar is better than white sugar obviously, but a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee shouldn't throw anyone off. Of course, anyone is welcome to cut it out if they want.

Who the fuck orders that??  :lol

When we were in the office 5 days a week my co-worker had a venti hot mocha latte extra whip every morning, now that we're hybrid he only has it 3 days a week :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2022, 03:28:37 AM »

BTW, I'm with you. Lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2022, 06:39:41 AM »
I guess I'll chime in and see what the response to my coffee routine.

I go to the local roaster every other Thursday morning and buy a pound (actual 16 oz) of Guatemalan medium roast whole bean, and a half pound of Italian roast whole bean. Every morning, I (or Mrs. P) scoop a half-cup of the bean mixture into the grinder and flip the switch. Drop a filter into the automatic drip maker (Mr. Coffee with SS thermal carafe). While the beans are grinding I grab the Brita from the fridge and fill the machine with water (I only do this to cut down on scaling of the machine, not for some notion of better taste), refill the Brita and put it back in the fridge. Turn off the grinder, and dump the grounds into the basket. Pop the basket in and press play. Seven minutes later it's all brewed.

Sometimes on weekends, if I don't want a whole pot (or for after dinner with friends over), I'll do a coarser grind and use my french press. It takes almost exactly the same amount of time, but the flavor is a little richer (more acidic) having not gone through a filter.

I generally drink it black. Mrs. P keeps an assortment of sugar-free flavorings, so I'll occasionally put a squirt or two of Caramel, with some whole cream...if the mood strikes. I drink roughly 24 oz every morning (two mugs worth). I also take an antacid every morning with my other pills, so this could be why I don't really have adverse tummy effects.

While traveling, I'll usually just find a Starbucks and order a latte, because in The States, their coffee sucks.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2022, 12:31:31 PM »
You are going to be enlightened one way or the other, even if we have to drag you there.  :biggrin:

Well, you know what they say Kev.  You can lead a horse to water but...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2022, 12:33:06 PM »

...we can't lead Tim to the promised land.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2022, 12:33:48 PM »
so clever ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
I guess I'll chime in and see what the response to my coffee routine.

I go to the local roaster every other Thursday morning and buy a pound (actual 16 oz) of Guatemalan medium roast whole bean, and a half pound of Italian roast whole bean. Every morning, I (or Mrs. P) scoop a half-cup of the bean mixture into the grinder and flip the switch. Drop a filter into the automatic drip maker (Mr. Coffee with SS thermal carafe). While the beans are grinding I grab the Brita from the fridge and fill the machine with water (I only do this to cut down on scaling of the machine, not for some notion of better taste), refill the Brita and put it back in the fridge. Turn off the grinder, and dump the grounds into the basket. Pop the basket in and press play. Seven minutes later it's all brewed.

Sometimes on weekends, if I don't want a whole pot (or for after dinner with friends over), I'll do a coarser grind and use my french press. It takes almost exactly the same amount of time, but the flavor is a little richer (more acidic) having not gone through a filter.

I generally drink it black. Mrs. P keeps an assortment of sugar-free flavorings, so I'll occasionally put a squirt or two of Caramel, with some whole cream...if the mood strikes. I drink roughly 24 oz every morning (two mugs worth). I also take an antacid every morning with my other pills, so this could be why I don't really have adverse tummy effects.

While traveling, I'll usually just find a Starbucks and order a latte, because in The States, their coffee sucks.
If it brings you joy, then go with it, my man.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2022, 12:41:07 PM »

...we can't lead Tim to the promised land.

:lol  ...and the car windows have cranks! :biggrin:  Ok, I'm done picking on Tim.  ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2022, 02:21:50 PM »
My van hit 300k yesterday!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2022, 03:05:08 PM »
Damn Tim!  Does it still have the same engine and tranny?  That's enough mileage to go around the planet 12 goddamn times!  :eek

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2022, 03:10:33 PM »
Damn Tim!  Does it still have the same engine and tranny?  That's enough mileage to go around the planet 12 goddamn times!  :eek

Same engine and tranny, yes. Pretty much a new everything else though.
And get this.. it's a 2007 Kia Sedona.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2022, 03:48:11 PM »

Huh...I could of sworn you once said that you blew a tranny in Fort Lauderdale in 2014?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2022, 04:00:12 PM »

Huh...I could of sworn you once said that you blew a tranny in Fort Lauderdale in 2014?

I've never blown anything in Fort Lauderdale, mostly because I've never been there. We did have a radiator replaced at Disney one year. It was on either this van or the previous one.