Author Topic: All Things Caffeinated - The Keep It Moving Thread  (Read 5428 times)

Offline Harmony

All Things Caffeinated - The Keep It Moving Thread
« on: November 11, 2022, 04:35:31 PM »
We have a thread for just about every other vice....why not caffeine?

I've had a love affair with coffee going back to my teenage years.  I love everything about it (except not being able to sleep when I've had too much).  I've only recently discovered the joy of cold brew.  Starbucks Cold Brew Dark Roast is the bomb and my new afternoon pick-me-up.  I bought myself a hand-held frother and now can put half a scoop of my vanilla protein powder into 1/2 cup of 2% and froth that into a yummy cap for my coffee.  Delish!!

What are your favorite caffeinated pleasures?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: All Things Caffeinated - The Keep It Moving Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 09:54:55 AM »
For ages I detested coffee, my go to was the Starbucks black iced tea which carries pretty good bang for the buck. In the beginning of Covid, the account I switched to had no Tejava tea, and Starbucks opened later since most businesses weren't open, so needing my morning bump, I took my chances and drank coffee with ungodly amounts of sugar etc. When I took over the snack program and started ordering the Stumptown cold brews, some of the employees commented about how much they got wired off it, and me being the dutiful addict got intrigued, and hit it up.

Holy shit...this stuff was fucking fire. Then we expanded the program and got jockey boxes with kegs of cold brew, that still carried that kick with better flavor. The Starbucks cold brew has a decent bump to it, but nothing like the others.

Also will hammer Red Bulls in a pinch, their really effective for a less edgy, longer lasting buzz.

Still not super hot on the taste of coffee, I'm definitely a drink for effect type of guy, just as I was with alcohol (Jager and Bud), and my go to is still the black iced tea, but when there's a need for a kick, I'll try anything.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
I started out drinking as much cream and sugar as coffee, all the way from high school through grad school. Then I had a job where they were really bare bones with the coffee. I think I brought in my own creamer because they didn’t provide anything to put into it (government related). So I started to kick the sugar at that point, and a little while later finally got away from sugar altogether in my coffee. I will occasionally still get a latte with sugar in it (I’m a sucker for pumpkin spice in the fall), but most of the time now I don’t want anything but coffee and a little cream. Too much milk and it doesn’t have the same affect. And it has to be hot. Iced coffee doesn’t do anything for me in terms of a coffee fix.

I probably drink too much these days (2 or 3 cups in the morning and 2 or 3 more in the afternoon). But I love to sit and listen to music with a mug of coffee on the weekends especially.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 10:42:47 AM »
I've actually toned down my intake, and I rarely have any caffeine, even in soda, after 4pm. Otherwise I sleep like shit.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 11:20:20 AM »
Going back a few years now, I begin every morning by driving to our local Starbucks to get my wife a grande dark roast (and myself an iced coffee black for my trouble).

I go early (like 5:30 am) after my morning workout so that she has it the moment she wakes.

The whole tradition started as a fluke when I surprised her one morning and saw that it so made her day... 3 years later I feel like it’s the least I can do considering the massive daily sacrifices she makes for our family.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 11:27:26 AM »
Going back a few years now, I begin every morning by driving to our local Starbucks to get my wife a grande dark roast (and myself an iced coffee black for my trouble).

I go early (like 5:30 am) after my morning workout so that she has it the moment she wakes.

The whole tradition started as a fluke when I surprised her one morning and saw that it so made her day... 3 years later I feel like it’s the least I can do considering the massive daily sacrifices she makes for our family.

That is very likely the sweetest thing I've read on this board.  :heart

Just one question tho.....what time do you get up to go work out?   :o
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 11:43:23 AM »

Waking up to the smell of fresh coffee is bad ass. Doesn't happen here, though. I've been using a chemex for the last 9 years, so I've got to make it myself. As much as I'd love to have it just waiting for me, I haven't found an automatic coffee maker than can compare to the chemex. I'll get everything ready the night before, so the effort is minimal when I wake up, but it's just not the same.

As for caffeine, don't drink much. I blend my coffee to about 1/3 caffeinated, and after my tumbler-full in the morning that's pretty much it. I haven't had a soft drink in ages. I will occasionally get iced tea when I eat out, but even that's usually half lemonade. I found I just felt better when I slashed my caffeine intake, but also that I couldn't eliminate it entirely without getting headaches. A quarter to a third is the sweet spot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 02:03:23 PM »
Coffee is pretty much the only caffeine I drink these days. Daily routine is I’ll brew a cup for my wife and me while I cook her and my breakfast. I also have the privilege of working five minutes from my house, so I’ll come home every day for lunch and usually have a cup then as well.

Can’t stand energy drinks or tea, and caffeinated soda always makes me feel *more* tired, so I’ll generally avoid anything else.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 02:46:41 PM »

That is very likely the sweetest thing I've read on this board.  :heart

Just one question tho.....what time do you get up to go work out?   :o

Since our son came along last Fall, too early!  :mehlin

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 03:06:32 PM »
I didn't get into coffee until my mid-twenties but I am full blown hooked. If I don't have my usual cups in the morning the midday headache I'll get is beyond words. I've definitely toned it down to just 2 cups of coffee a day now with the occasional soda here and there.

Online pg1067

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 04:15:54 PM »
I've never had a sip of coffee in my life, and I don't like tea, so all of my caffeine intake comes from soda and whatever else might have caffeine.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2022, 06:04:10 PM »
Wasn’t a coffee drinker or caffeine person until my youngest son was born, that was 12 years ago. Started with sweetening my coffee up quite a bit……then worked my way to straight black. Been straight black for a good 6 to 7 years now. I don’t drink alcohol or partake in any type of buzz (14 years sober) so coffee is my vice.

I start the morning off with a 40oz mug……I’m a Starbucks brand snob so it’s usually a Guatemala, Yukon or Pikes Place. For years I’d have a ‘nightcap’ 40oz round 6:00pm…..but I’ve curtailed that a bit the past year or so. I’ll have a ‘nightcap’ very light Brew a couple days a week now…..but mostly just my morning 40

My ‘guilty pleasure’ coffee is a White Chocolate Mocha, hot. But it’s like 900 calories or something like that so I don’t do that often.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 06:11:42 PM »
I like coffee but only can usually can only have 1 cup a day.  I don't think it's very good on your stomach, but maybe that's just me.  Doing big hours at work at the moment, the morning cup is a nice part of the routine and the 1 cup is enough.  The only other caffeine I'll have is in a pre-workout before a gym session or a run.

My ‘guilty pleasure’ coffee is a White Chocolate Mocha, hot. But it’s like 900 calories or something like that so I don’t do that often.

I'm a sucker for these types of coffee's also, they are usually my go to if I go through a Starbucks.  Saying that, 900 seems high, unless you're talking the largest size.  Normally I'll get a moderate/small size, throw in an extra shot and go almond milk or something to bring the calories down to around 250-300 or so.  These are kind of weekend only drinks however.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 06:18:15 PM »
I have a travel mug in the morning of coffee. After my post work nap (I work 5-1), I'll brew a couple of cups worth.

Starbucks is awful. I don't mind strong coffee, but their coffee blows. If I have to, I get the pussy..er..blonde roast.

I drink my coffee regular...cream & sugar.

I also drink hot coffee in the summer.  And no flavored coffees.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 06:25:31 PM »
I have a travel mug in the morning of coffee. After my post work nap (I work 5-1), I'll brew a couple of cups worth.

Starbucks is awful. I don't mind strong coffee, but their coffee blows. If I have to, I get the pussy..er..blonde roast.

You post this in an aggressive and manly manner.

I'm so cheap I'm just drinking the work instant coffee at the moment.  I used to buy one a lot of morning, but screw that.  instant and strong with a dash of milk works for me if it's free.  To me, coffee is coffee, as long as it's strong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2022, 06:30:01 PM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2022, 06:36:06 PM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2022, 06:39:38 PM »

Starbucks is almost undrinkable. Awful stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2022, 06:42:15 PM »
I also indulge myself in a sugar free Monster from time to time.  They are pretty good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2022, 06:45:17 PM »
I also indulge myself in a sugar free Monster from time to time.  They are pretty good.

I can't do it. We had samples at work a few years ago, so I tried the SF, and I thought I was having a heart attack.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2022, 06:49:01 PM »
I quite like the Starbucks over here.  It's better than the biggest chain over here (Zarrafas) which is fucking crap.  Although I hate buying them sometimes, paying 7 bucks and getting it lukewarm, burnt, not as strong as I'd like, or whatever.  No matter where I go, I always seem to get a dud out of every 4 or 5.  I think that's why I just resort to instant at the moment.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2022, 06:51:48 PM »
Yeah, we brew at home. Definitely cheaper, better, and more consistent.

If we're making a day of it, we may stop for coffee. The local chain here is Dunkin' Donuts.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2022, 08:05:48 PM »

I can't do it. We had samples at work a few years ago, so I tried the SF, and I thought I was having a heart attack.

:lol  They certainly get you going if you've never had them before.

If we're making a day of it, we may stop for coffee. The local chain here is Dunkin' Donuts.

I'd probably still be fat if that was the local chain over here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2022, 08:09:30 PM »
I've tried to like coffee, but I just don't. 

I haven't had any dark soda in nearly 23 years, and I don't drink tea.

So yeah, I basically drink no caffeine.

Maybe that is why I am always so tired.  :lol :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2022, 08:11:43 PM »
What's dark soda?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2022, 08:12:22 PM »
What's dark soda?

Gross crap. Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc.

If I drink any soda, it is 7UP or Sprite.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2022, 08:14:15 PM »
Ah of course.  I've never heard them called that before.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2022, 09:39:35 PM »
I don’t care for coffee either, and I don’t drink soda. I get all my caffeine from tea, and I do drink a lot of it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 09:49:32 PM »
I like coffee but only can usually can only have 1 cup a day.  I don't think it's very good on your stomach, but maybe that's just me. 
Try tapering down the caffeine. Knock it down to 75-25 caffeinated for a month. Then 50-50. Slowly find a good balance. I started decreasing the caffeine for the same reason. Settled around 70-30. I still get the caffeine buzz in the morning but it doesn't bother my tummy. Once you figure out a ratio you like you can also tweak the flavors you like.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2022, 03:10:41 AM »
I like coffee but only can usually can only have 1 cup a day.  I don't think it's very good on your stomach, but maybe that's just me. 
Try tapering down the caffeine. Knock it down to 75-25 caffeinated for a month. Then 50-50. Slowly find a good balance. I started decreasing the caffeine for the same reason. Settled around 70-30. I still get the caffeine buzz in the morning but it doesn't bother my tummy. Once you figure out a ratio you like you can also tweak the flavors you like.

1 cup is too much?  1 cup usually isn't too much of a problem but as soon as I think about a second cup.....forget it.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what those ratios you mention mean.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2022, 05:47:12 AM »

I love the white can ones, those are tasty

There are a few Dunkin's around me, if I'm getting coffee I'm going to Dunkin 10 out 10 times, Starbucks tastes like burnt asshole.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2022, 07:13:26 AM »

Starbucks is almost undrinkable. Awful stuff.

Yeah....This is just one of those arguable points on preference. The issue is....I never drank Coffee and then started with Starbucks. So, to me....all other coffee is garbage. The Folgers and Maxwell houses of the world are awful impersonators of 'real' coffee. I pick up the beans at the stores and grind them myself at home so I can get the right 'mix' and amount. I'll try the mom and pop shops as well and those are usually tolerable....Kaldi's coffee is 'ok'.

I get the push back and 'hate' for Starbucks because of how corporate it is but they wouldn't be on every street corner if their coffee was 'awful' or 'blew'.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2022, 08:15:30 AM »
I like coffee, with cream and Splenda (Type 2 diabetic), but I'm a coffee "man of the people".  I don't like it enough to go to the trouble of grinding my own beans, or using a french press, or any of the other coffee afficionado accoutrements.  Nothing wrong with that stuff if it makes you happy, I just don't care that much.

We use mass market stuff for a pot of morning coffee at home, like Maxwell House or McCafe, and we also have a Keurig for coffee during the day or at night.  I will normally have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, and if I'm working at home, I will often have another cup at some point during the day.  At this time of year, I will also often have another cup or two at night.  The caffeine doesn't bother me - I can have a cup right before bed and sleep fine.

If I am out and about and want some coffee, I will avoid Starbucks like the plague, as I find it so bitter that it tastes like water from an ashtray left outside in a thunderstorm.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2022, 08:18:52 AM »
it tastes like water from an ashtray left outside in a thunderstorm.

This is so descriptive that it implies you just might have sampled this at one point  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2022, 08:21:35 AM »

1 cup is too much?  1 cup usually isn't too much of a problem but as soon as I think about a second cup.....forget it.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what those ratios you mention mean.
Well, a cup for me is a 16oz tumbler. And while I never felt particularly bad after drinking 16oz of regular coffee, once I knocked back the caffeine I noticed that I did feel much better. Not was I was shooting for, I was just trying to limit my caffeine because, as you say, it's not great for the stomach. Feeling better was a bonus.

As for the ratios, I currently buy two pounds of coffee (an American pound is 12oz now), one regular and one decaf. I dump all of the decaf and half of the regular into the big jar and shake it up real good. That gets me 1/3 caffeinated and works fine. I also started using flavored coffee for the 1/3. While I don't care for flavored coffee on its own, when mixed 1-2 with regular dark roast it works great because it's very subtle.
E.F. Benson