Author Topic: The Official CREED Thread - v. Never Die  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: The Official CREED Thread - v. Never Die
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2023, 09:07:36 AM »
Well, Creed has now announced that they are doing a cruise and they are bringing their friends that has that late-90s and early 00s post-grunge vibe.  As a guy that recently went to see 3 Doors Down and Candlebox in an amphitheater that held like 5,000 people, I can see this going well.

Here's the supporting bands.

3 Doors Down, Buckcherry, Tonic, Vertical Horizon, Fuel, The Verve Pipe, Tantric, Dishwalla, Louise Post (of Veruca Salt) and Nine Days have all been booked for the festival cruise, which is presented by Sixthman.

It's in April 2024. This is the starting point. Not the ending point. Let's see how this fares and if the buzz goes well, maybe they'll announce a more appropriate tour later.

https://loudwire.com/creed-reunite-announce-summer-of-99-festival-cruise-2024/

In non-related news, Mark seems to be really into collaborating with Pinball Machine manufacturers lately. Has done the music for a machine for a Marvel Pinball machine.

https://www.polygon.com/23798734/marvel-venom-pinball-stern-price-date-sdcc-2023 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 09:14:48 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2023, 09:53:01 AM »
So, no new album then? :justjen
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2023, 07:59:05 AM »
So, no new album then? :justjen

Stages. Cruise, work on new album, tour. Going to happen, IMO. Mark has already stated he has a new Creed album all written on his laptop.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2023, 11:17:05 AM »
That sounds fun. That is one of my favorite eras of music.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2023, 02:36:11 PM »
New interview with Stapp: https://youtu.be/ShMPdf84alA?si=OiBCmvYQcCJ1EgN5

He basically talks about his new single and solo album, but towards the mid/end of the video he gets asked about Creed and what their future plans are after the cruise and he basically says they haven't planned anything yet and that they're moving in baby steps with the whole thing. Here's hoping they end up making a new album after reconnecting as a band for the cruise.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2023, 08:48:02 PM »
New interview with Stapp: https://youtu.be/ShMPdf84alA?si=OiBCmvYQcCJ1EgN5

He basically talks about his new single and solo album, but towards the mid/end of the video he gets asked about Creed and what their future plans are after the cruise and he basically says they haven't planned anything yet and that they're moving in baby steps with the whole thing. Here's hoping they end up making a new album after reconnecting as a band for the cruise.

I like a lot of Scotts solo stuff
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2023, 08:03:29 AM »
i just don't vibe with creed's music at all. like, their sound feels so generic, like a watered-down version of other post-grunge bands. the lyrics, too, they're just so overdone and cheesy, like they're trying way too hard to be deep and meaningful. every song sounds like it follows the same formula - soft verses, explosive chorus, rinse and repeat. and that lead singer's voice? it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. i can't be the only one who thinks their stuff is just bland and unoriginal, right? i'd rather listen to pretty much anything else than sit through a creed song. just my two cents.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2023, 08:08:59 AM »
i just don't vibe with creed's music at all. like, their sound feels so generic, like a watered-down version of other post-grunge bands. the lyrics, too, they're just so overdone and cheesy, like they're trying way too hard to be deep and meaningful. every song sounds like it follows the same formula - soft verses, explosive chorus, rinse and repeat. and that lead singer's voice? it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. i can't be the only one who thinks their stuff is just bland and unoriginal, right? i'd rather listen to pretty much anything else than sit through a creed song. just my two cents.

So why come in a Creed thread and pick them apart if you have no interest in them or like them at all? Obviously, most of us in this thread actually like them.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2023, 08:32:21 AM »

I agree with Samsara, first of all, but second... Creed is, in my humble opinion, much like Nickelback, in that somewhere down the line it became cool to bag on them, and I'm not sure why.   

Creed was earnest, but so were a bunch of other bands that were regaled for that same trait: Live, Pearl Jam, others.  It's not like Eddie Vedder - despite some great moments ("Black") - is Billy Fuckin' Shakespeare.  With Arms Wide Open was released like a month before we found out we were pregnant with my daughter (after suffering a miscarriage) and it was a heady, emotional song for us.  I mean, for me, a dad at 34, having lived a life, so to speak, this verse is everything:

If I had just one wish, only one demand
I hope he's not like me, I hope he understands
That he can take this life and hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world with arms wide open

That's it in a nutshell.  If that doesn't resonate with you, that's fine - there's plenty of "iconic" music that doesn't resonate with me - but I think its probably more fair and more objective to be more sympathetic when dismissing lyrics as "overdone and cheesy".

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2023, 08:44:09 AM »

I agree with Samsara, first of all, but second... Creed is, in my humble opinion, much like Nickelback, in that somewhere down the line it became cool to bag on them, and I'm not sure why.   

It could be numerous factors, but I'd guess it's mainly the songs  ;D

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2023, 05:52:55 PM »
even though creed was never my preferred kind of music i have to admit that i'm a fan, especially when it comes to their lyrics – there's something about the depth and meaning that resonates with me. there's a sense of hope and redemption that speaks to me on a personal level. it's not easy to express those themes in music these days as people don't seem to value those concepts anymore, so when i find it, it's a real connection for me. so, you know what? despite the controversies that surrounded scott stapp in the past, i admire him. it takes real strength to face your demons and make positive changes. while i might not be there yet, i respect anyone who takes that path. scott's commitment to bettering himself is commendable, and i think it deserves recognition.
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2023, 09:05:44 AM »
Stapp's lyrics are what truly kept me hooked as a fan. I first heard "One" when it came out on the radio, and initially, it was the intense build in the music that grabbed my ear. Then the simplicity of that song's message hooked me, and I picked up the album. To my surprise, it was all very deep, lyrically. And Human Clay took that to a whole different level.

Success really hit them all hard, Stapp became what sounds like a different person entirely. Tremonti and Phillips seemed fine, and Brian Marshall had his own demons that he dealt with until the late-2000s before getting help. But Stapp took the brunt of the criticism because he was the singer, the guy everyone interviewed, and the guy that wrote the lyrics. And with his Christian background, a lot of those thoughts came out in his lyrics. Not necessarily preaching, but the more deep thoughts and questioning. I always felt like the first three Creed records was Scott going through his personal battle of belief, and some of the difficulties he saw with what he was taught to believe, and what is reality.

I am glad he appears healthy and has his mental health under control. Everyone here knows I'm on record as being a bigger fan of Alter Bridge, because I think Myles Kennedy is a world class singer, guitarist, and songwriter. He brings Tremonti, Phillips and BMarsh to a whole different level of play than Creed does. But I am proud to be a fan of Creed, and while I'd be happier with more Alter Bridge, I'll patiently wait for that, and rock out with some Creed for a couple years.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2023, 09:15:09 AM »
even though creed was never my preferred kind of music i have to admit that i'm a fan, especially when it comes to their lyrics – there's something about the depth and meaning that resonates with me. there's a sense of hope and redemption that speaks to me on a personal level. it's not easy to express those themes in music these days as people don't seem to value those concepts anymore, so when i find it, it's a real connection for me. so, you know what? despite the controversies that surrounded scott stapp in the past, i admire him. it takes real strength to face your demons and make positive changes. while i might not be there yet, i respect anyone who takes that path. scott's commitment to bettering himself is commendable, and i think it deserves recognition.

I agree....
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2023, 12:45:15 PM »
https://eddietrunk.com/due-to-unprecedented-demand-creed-announce-summer-of-99-and-beyond-cruise-hosted-by-eddie-trunk-it-will-set-sail-april-27th-may-1st/

Kind of stunned.  Not because it's "Creed" or any of that nonsense, but that's a tough gig for even established, high profile bands to really deliver on, and post-COVID, I heard cruises aren't doing great generally.   I'm happy for them. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2023, 02:06:00 PM »
Yep, 2nd cruise announced a few weeks after the first one.  Instead of 3 Doors Down, Daughtry will be there.

I just want them to announce an amphitheater tour next year that has either 3 Doors Down or Daughtry in it and get this thing going so that people with not as deep pockets can go to see them in a period where people probably thought they would done forever.  I think there's an audience for that in today's age. This year's amphitheater tours had bands like Matchbox 20 with Matt Nathanson and Goo Goo Dolls with O.A.R. (in which I'm going to see that bill today). I saw 3 Doors Down with Candlebox. That late 90s/early 00s alt rock/post-grunge vibes. No reason why Creed can't do that in today's age.

I think we are at the time where Creed can fill a certain need to get those amphitheaters numbers and if everyone is feeling good, morale is good, no one needs to feel resentful of anything, it's going to work out. Just let it cook. Let things play itself out and if they want to release a new album with songs they are proud of, sure, let's have that as well.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2023, 02:21:01 PM »
If Creed toured with Matchbox, that would be cool. No interest in 3 doors down though.

Is Daughtry a 90s band?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2023, 02:27:46 PM »
Daughtry is a band that came through in the mid-00s, but they were influenced by Creed.  Here's a video of Chris Daughtry singing What If on American Idol.  Plus, Tremonti toured with Daughtry last year (I was there for the LA show and I enjoyed both sets).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbZWm2dyLYw

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »
Going to see Creed again would depend on who opened for them. I have ZERO interest in Daughtry or Three Doors Down.

If they took Sevendust, absolutely. If it was a co-headline with say...Evanescence, sure. But who they package together will key, at least for me. I've seen Creed three times (Human Clay tour - literally a few days before Human Clay was released, in NYC, at Roseland, I believe), the Weathered tour (at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island with Jerry Cantrell opening), and then the last reunion tour at a local amphitheater.

Creed is good, but I need the opener or co-headliner to be something in my wheelhouse. I'm not spending significant cash (and the tickets will be expensive, since Creed will draw) for decent seats for my family and I. They need to partner with someone we're interested in. If not, pass.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2023, 10:21:47 AM »
Going to see Creed again would depend on who opened for them. I have ZERO interest in Daughtry or Three Doors Down.

If they took Sevendust, absolutely. If it was a co-headline with say...Evanescence, sure. But who they package together will key, at least for me. I've seen Creed three times (Human Clay tour - literally a few days before Human Clay was released, in NYC, at Roseland, I believe), the Weathered tour (at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island with Jerry Cantrell opening), and then the last reunion tour at a local amphitheater.

Creed is good, but I need the opener or co-headliner to be something in my wheelhouse. I'm not spending significant cash (and the tickets will be expensive, since Creed will draw) for decent seats for my family and I. They need to partner with someone we're interested in. If not, pass.

Going to totally agree with you. I've only heard one Sevendust album, but I dug it and I'd go see them open. Evanescence too (though they're not great live anymore). Wolfie would be cool too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2023, 10:42:14 AM »
Like if they do something like amphitheaters next year and they are part of that Live Nation $25.00 tickets week thing where they sell lawn seats or nosebleed bleachers seats for amphitheater shows at that price (no fees included), I'm just going to wait for that.  I wouldn't mind going to see them regardless of opener.  I just think it's going to be a weird feeling.  Similar to the time I saw Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators in 2014 (and that was a time before I went to concerts on the regular and before I went to see AB, many, many times). 

Like I know the band will be great.  I don't actually have any worries about Stapp's voice holding up throughout a tour if they want to do a summer tour.  It's just always going to draw comparisons to the AB shows I see and I just go, "It's just not the same!"  It fries me a lot when there are still people out there that say AB is just Creed with a different singer where I just know that if I go to a Creed show, it's just not going to have the same level of enjoyment and vibes I like in comparison to an AB show.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2023, 11:16:44 AM »
Amazing movie. To be honest I was not expecting much Since Stallone is not the main star but I never felt boredom even for a second, Crisp direction, great camera work and awesome acting by everyone.
First fight of movie is shot in one cut, great.
Stallone was the life of the movie, Never expected such a good acting from him.
Overall, Topmost movie of 2015.
Go ahead and watch.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2023, 11:21:38 AM »
Amazing movie. To be honest I was not expecting much Since Stallone is not the main star but I never felt boredom even for a second, Crisp direction, great camera work and awesome acting by everyone.
First fight of movie is shot in one cut, great.
Stallone was the life of the movie, Never expected such a good acting from him.
Overall, Topmost movie of 2015.
Go ahead and watch.
Not sure whether to applaud or rage.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2023, 11:22:04 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2023, 11:23:36 AM »
YO STAPP!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2023, 12:17:45 PM »

Like I know the band will be great.  I don't actually have any worries about Stapp's voice holding up throughout a tour if they want to do a summer tour.  It's just always going to draw comparisons to the AB shows I see and I just go, "It's just not the same!"  It fries me a lot when there are still people out there that say AB is just Creed with a different singer where I just know that if I go to a Creed show, it's just not going to have the same level of enjoyment and vibes I like in comparison to an AB show.

It's a totally different vibe. The music is much more simplistic, and Stapp makes sure the emphasis is on him. I always felt that the major difference to the two bands on stage was that Alter Bridge is a full experience, proggy-ish music, and a full band engagement. With Creed, it's simpler music, more classic choruses, and frontman-focused.

AB is absolutely NOT Creed with a different singer. Anyone who REALLY knows AB, knows the strides they made to make sure of that. That said, you can lead a horse to water, but...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2023, 12:33:55 PM »
While I agree that they have many differences, it's still three of the same people involved in both and I've always been puzzled at the people who think Alter Bridge is amazing and Creed sucks.  There are probably some people who think the reverse is true, though I don't know if I've encountered them. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2023, 12:38:50 PM »
While I agree that they have many differences, it's still three of the same people involved in both and I've always been puzzled at the people who think Alter Bridge is amazing and Creed sucks. 
Same here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2023, 12:40:52 PM »
While I agree that they have many differences, it's still three of the same people involved in both and I've always been puzzled at the people who think Alter Bridge is amazing and Creed sucks.  There are probably some people who think the reverse is true, though I don't know if I've encountered them.

I'm of the "reverse" crowd, though I wouldn't say AB sucks. I have the first album, and aside from a few songs it did nothing for me. I haven't heard any other albums.

But I LOVE Creed. All four albums. Bring on that tour please.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2023, 12:45:40 PM »
Interesting, because the first one is the most Creed-like.  Some of the songs I believe were intended to be Creed songs before Myles came on-board.  You might be missing out if you never gave the later ones a chance though. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2023, 12:54:32 PM »
It's a totally different vibe. The music is much more simplistic, and Stapp makes sure the emphasis is on him. I always felt that the major difference to the two bands on stage was that Alter Bridge is a full experience, proggy-ish music, and a full band engagement. With Creed, it's simpler music, more classic choruses, and frontman-focused.

That's a fair assessment.  I don't want to say that Stapp intentionally makes the music all about him, but the music seems to want to emphasize that the voice is the main point of the song and not much else. One can make the argument that if you replace the guitarist, bass, drums with someone else, none may be the wiser (which is also a pretty terrible assessment to make since Mark, Flip, and Brian are tremendous players).  I noted this a lot when it came to the certain bands I saw this year with Matchbox Twenty (with Rob Thomas being the vocal point), 3 Doors Down (Brad Arnold), and Goo Goo Dolls (Johnny Reznik and sometimes Robby Takac) where you can replace everyone else other than the vocalist and none would be the wiser.  Evanescence has that as well with Amy Lee.  Oddly enough, Disturbed doesn't fall into this category.  When I saw them back in July, the guitarist, bassist, and drummer each has a solo spot in the set and those guys played just as a big role as David Draiman did in making that show work the way it did.

In AB, even Myles said that he thinks whilst Mark and him write the songs and lyrics, those songs truly aren't AB songs until Flip and Brian works with them in the pre-production part of the process.  Hence why in the song writing credits, they always state, "All songs are written by Alter Bridge."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 01:01:24 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2023, 08:37:04 AM »
As stated in the concerts thread, they have announced a long summer tour.  Joining them along the way will be bands like 3 Doors Down, Daughtry, Switchfoot, Big Wreck (only in Toronto sadly), Tonic, and Finger 11.  I would have made a possible trip out of this if Big Wreck was opening for more shows and if the Toronto show was on a weekend.  That limits me to San Bernardino and sadly that's a outdoor festival and given my prior experience at a festival (which the bands and crowd are fine, I just can't see myself be there for a long time due to stamina), that's a no-go.

https://loudwire.com/creed-2024-reunion-tour-dates/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 12:48:29 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2023, 09:12:34 AM »
I just got an email about it, I think I might check them out if the price is right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2023, 09:35:11 AM »
Odd venues in Minnesota, though 2 shows here over the course of the summer. One is a classic rock type of weekend festival. The other is a casino outdoor amphitheater well outside of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I'd love to hit up the second show at the casino, but I'm not sure it's worth the drive.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2023, 10:37:26 AM »
I absolutely despise 3 Doors Down. Was hoping I'd get Big Wreck, but looks like Toronto are the lucky ones.

I still plan on going as the kid wants to see Creed too, as we love us some Tremonti-Phillips-Marshall.