Author Topic: The Official CREED Thread - v. Never Die  (Read 6487 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: The Official CREED Thread - v. Never Die
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2022, 08:43:27 AM »

Btw, Never Die, the title of this thread. DAYUM, that’s a good song

Hell yeah. And the title worked quite nicely.  :biggrin: :metal

I'll definitely check out those other albums. Thank you!

Cool. Brett Hestla is a talented guy. But yeah, Virgos Merlot: Signs of a Vacant Soul. Listen to the lyrics too. Album is a bit of a theme/concept too, which was taboo for bands of that era that weren't "prog metal."

Great thread, Samsara–thanks to you, I gave Human Clay a spin for the first time in ages this morning.

:metal

And will always maintain it's criminal that To Whom It May Concern and Is The End were relegated to B-Sides, two of their best magnificent stuff \m/

Both are killer. I also love Young Grow Old, which wasn't on the original version of Human Clay in the U.S., but was in Europe.

What's everyone's thoughts on Full Circle? I was pretty hyped when I heard it was coming out but skeptical because AB had been putting out great records so I was wondering how the band was gonna do after a break. Overall the album is a good album but is eclipsed by their previous works. It felt unpolished to me and could've used more time to bake.

I just finished spinning Full Circle. It had been several years. It sounds like a band putting out a record. The thing is, Creed music is a step back for Mark. He has grown so much as a player and songwriter that Full Circle just seemed to me like a record that he was fighting to hold himself back, musically. Vocally, Stapp is Stapp. Sounds like he always does. The lyrics aren't as dark. For me, other than a couple of songs, "Overcome" and "Rain," I really don't think the album is all that impressive.

Mark has said for a few years now (ever since Scott had his breakdown and then recovered) that he's sitting on a full Creed record they decided not to release (I'm guessing because of Scott's mental breakdown). So it's something they could, foreseeably, release at some point in the future. But I question if it's worth it at this point. If it's basically the same album as Full Circle, again, it's a step BACK for Tremonti.

I'd love to see Creed tour again. I mean, the 30th anniversary of Creed is 2024. The 30th anniversary of their debut, My Own Prison, is 2027. Depending on schedules and what AB and Tremonti's solo band are doing, I could see a Creed tour and album at some point between those years. Not sure the album is necessary, but if they are going to do one more tour, 2024-2027 is probably the right time to do it, and call it a day.

If I were a betting man, I would guess 2027. The 30th of MOP. I say that, because AB releases records every three years. So if they do another in fall 2025, it would give them the remainder of 2025 and all of 2026 to promote AB (and 2024-2025 for Tremonti), and then 2027 could be the big Creed reunion tour. Anniversaries are big things for concert promoters. So that's my guess.

But coming full circle, Full Circle isn't something I'm overly impressed with. It was a let down except those two tracks, at least for me.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 09:39:12 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2022, 10:26:33 AM »
Full Circle I fully enjoy., I like it more than Human Clay...  their first album was in many ways IMO their best

although not CREED..   I really enjoyed ART OF ANARCHY, and was bummed about all the drama with that album and Scott leaving that project quickly as some of the tunes are FIRE
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2022, 04:41:06 PM »
I really enjoyed ART OF ANARCHY, and was bummed about all the drama with that album and Scott leaving that project quickly as some of the tunes are FIRE

:tup

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2022, 10:43:41 PM »
I’m one who sorta backed into Creed by way of Alter Bridge, so I really don’t have any fond reminiscences of the band, other than the fact that I never dreamed I would end up liking them.

At Samsara’s urging, I got hooked on Alter Bridge right after ABIII was released. But it was only a short time after that I found out Alter Bridge was essentially a reincarnation of Creed, at which point I was like… whut?  So I proceeded to dig into Creed’s discography and pretty much enjoy it all now. Excellent band. However in a pinch, I’d still pick AB over them.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Skeever

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2022, 05:35:25 AM »
This may be controversial, but I like Creed much better than Alter Bridge. It's got to do with Stapp's voice, which just carries a lot of warmth and character. I never quite "got there" with Myles Kennedy. He's obviously a very good singer, but I just never made the same connection.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2022, 06:20:07 AM »
This may be controversial, but I like Creed much better than Alter Bridge. It's got to do with Stapp's voice, which just carries a lot of warmth and character. I never quite "got there" with Myles Kennedy. He's obviously a very good singer, but I just never made the same connection.

I'm the same dude

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2022, 07:27:34 AM »

I'm the same dude

Count me in as well.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2022, 07:52:45 AM »
While I can't say I prefer Stapp's voice, I do kind of favor his general writing style to Kennedy's. Myles has an insane voice, but has a tendency to sing in a very specific range so often than the novelty has worn off, given that he can do so much more. When Stapp was in the same range, it's because he was using his limiting range to the fullest extent, while Myles is limiting a huge range to a small area most of the time.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 02:25:54 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2022, 08:38:12 AM »
I def remember liking Creed when they were prominent, even seeing them live once. I think I owned Human Clay but did get a bit burnt out on the constant radio rotation. What I've heard of Stapp has kept me from revisiting them. I never knew the AB/Creed connection. Giving AB a listen to now.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2022, 11:26:57 AM »
While I can't agree with preferring Creed to Mark's other projects, I like that this little corner of the internet is one of the few places where it's not laughable to admit that they had some merit. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2022, 09:40:52 AM »
https://youtu.be/prLQhRYh_Ls

Let us remember on this Thanksgiving Day :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2022, 10:06:11 AM »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2022, 11:14:09 AM »
Listening to Weathered right now. Stand Here With Me is a fucking banger and one of Mark's best solos.

While I can't agree with preferring Creed to Mark's other projects, I like that this little corner of the internet is one of the few places where it's not laughable to admit that they had some merit. 

DTF got it's hooks in you now dude, no getting out.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2022, 11:20:37 AM »
If you know, you know...

https://youtu.be/RXr6ZFaX4WU

Nostalgia off the charts.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2022, 11:28:22 AM »
Well, it's funny because maybe my memory is too foggy that far back, but I don't think DTF circa 00s thought much of Creed, so I don't know when exactly the reevaluation started.  Maybe it was looking at the Weathered cover and realizing that if The Flower Kings and Opeth can awkwardly photoshop their faces onto their albums, why not Creed too?   :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2022, 01:03:58 PM »
https://youtu.be/prLQhRYh_Ls

Let us remember on this Thanksgiving Day :lol

Man I forgot how awful that chin thong looked on Mark :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2022, 09:48:36 PM »
While I can't say I prefer Stapp's voice, I do kind of favor his general writing style of Kennedy's. Myles has an insane voice, but has a tendency to sing in a very specific range so often than the novelty has worn off, given that he can do so much more. When Stapp was in the same range, it's because he was using his limiting range to the fullest extent, while Myles is limited a huge range to a small area most of the time.

Yeah I get what you mean. Scott Stapp essentially does more with less.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2023, 10:35:27 PM »
Apparently, Creed's Facebook page updated where their logo has changed and every rock news site is running away with the notion that Creed may actually return.  I have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand, I want Alter Bridge to commit more doing things as a band, but they are starting to get to the point where the end is close to nigh for their current album cycle.  Their Social Media pages has been plugging their US tour in August to be the final US tour of the album cycle (I will be there in Grand Rapids). 

On the other hand, it's been 11 years since Creed have played a show and this current hiatus has been longer than the first hiatus which lasted roughly 6 years.  Who knows. Maybe, age and reflection of life post-COVID has led Mark, Flip, Brian, and Stapp to think, maybe the time is right for Creed to come back with purpose and do things that is fulfilling under this entity (not just do it for the money and bigger crowds). 

If they do a show in FivePoint Amphitheater in Irvine or Greek Theater in LA, I'll probably be there.  Probably be in a nosebleed seat as a closer seat would be too expensive.  Just won't have the same vibe as an AB show where I can just get a 2nd row spot up close if I get in line early enough.  Can't even probably wear my usual AB shirt as things would be too awkward and probably sport the Shinedown hockey jersey (which wearing hockey jerseys in non-hockey games is awkward, but yeah my other shirt options are too awkward for something like this). 

Anywho, if they do return, I hope for good music and non-contentious or non-passive aggressive vibes for Creed.  As for Myles Kennedy if AB does go on pause, I want him to do more solo shows!!!  Or even open for Creed as a solo act, that would be neat.

https://loudwire.com/creed-reunion-rumors-2023-facebook-pfp-update/

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2023, 07:09:57 AM »
I think I read somewhere that they never closed the door on another Creed album and had some material floating around. I'm going to say something a little controversial but honestly I'd be more excited for a new Creed album that AB. To me, while good, AB doesn't move the needly stylistically much from album to album.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2023, 07:53:18 AM »
I want an album like the last Helloween album with both Myles and Scott.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2023, 02:30:36 PM »
I want an album like the last Helloween album with both Myles and Scott.

Alter Creed?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2023, 03:05:19 PM »
^^ I would not be satisfied by that at all.

That being said, it would be awesome as an indication that everyone is ok with everyone, with no passive aggressiveness, that, I don't know, they could do a cover of something like Hunger Strike, with Stapp filling the Vedder parts and Myles filling the Cornell parts.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2023, 08:32:58 AM »
Alter Bridge and Creed are entirely separate entities that sound nothing like one another at all (except for the first AB record, which was essentially half-written by Mark as the next Creed record, so it doesn't really count).

AB is a two guitar band with progressive tendencies that is really dynamic. Creed is a moody, more straight forward heavy rock band. Very different styles, and I would not want to mix the singers at all.

I am all for the Creed news. It has been a long time. And Myles already committed 2024 to Slash it looks like (and I am guessing another solo record too), so having Creed get together for a record and tour makes sense. I'll be there if it happens.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2023, 09:07:00 AM »

I agree    sharing a brain here    Myles's voice is not for me..  Id be interested in a Creed reunion

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2023, 10:53:48 AM »
Creed has its place. They had the right sound, at the right time, with the right type of vocal delivery. Stapp's lyrics make you think. Yes, colored by his faith (and nothing wrong with that), but overall, lyrical content that is worthy of reading and knowing.

I was a big fan the moment I heard them on...it was either 102.3 WBAB or 103.9 WRCN on Long island back when My Own Prison was taking off. Saw Creed headline the Hammerstein Ballroom on...I think it was October 1, 1999, with Oleander and Our Lady Peace opening. Creed was incredible. Stapp had people captivated. Then I saw them a few years later headline Nassau Coliseum (with Jerry Cantrell opening), and Creed wasn't good. Stapp was awful. I saw their last reunion out here in Nor Cal, and it was really good. So I am looking forward to hopefully a new album and tour.

As for Myles, his voice isn't for everyone. One of my closest and best friends, who has one of the widest tastes in music that I know (and who also likes sharp voices such as Labrie and Michael Sweet), doesn't like Myles' voice. Myles is a pure tenor with incredible range. Scott Stapp is a low baritone with almost no range. They couldn't be any different, stylistically. By a far margin though, Myles is a much more skilled, dynamic and creative vocalist.

That's why Alter Bridge's music is way more complicated and dynamic than Creed - because AB has a vocalist that can do anything, while Creed has to stay in a very narrow lane for Stapp. Stapp's melodies are very straightforward.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2023, 05:57:18 AM »

That's why Alter Bridge's music is way more complicated and dynamic than Creed - because AB has a vocalist that can do anything, while Creed has to stay in a very narrow lane for Stapp. Stapp's melodies are very straightforward.

More complicated maybe (which would also come down to growth), but I don't find AB any more dynamic than Creed were, but is all subjective and that...

Look, I do dig some of the AB stuff since say Fortress, but just feel so much of their best qualities have gotten swallowed up in this constant need of theirs to be heavier for the sake of what? Being more metal?  And I loves me some metal, so go figure!?

So tbh give me the AB debut and Blackbird a million times over.  Those two albums were spot on and Myles had all the room in the world to slay us regardless how heavy the tunes were or weren't.  Absolutely killer, every day of the week.  But if ever there was a band needing to dial it back a bit, and let the songs breathe some, for me it's Alter Bridge.

For what that's worth  ;)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2023, 06:08:21 AM »

More complicated maybe (which would also come down to growth), but I don't find AB any more dynamic than Creed were, but is all subjective and that...

Look, I do dig some of the AB stuff since say Fortress, but just feel so much of their best qualities have gotten swallowed up in this constant need of theirs to be heavier for the sake of what? Being more metal?  And I loves me some metal, so go figure!?

So tbh give me the AB debut and Blackbird a million times over.  Those two albums were spot on and Myles had all the room in the world to slay us regardless how heavy the tunes were or weren't.  Absolutely killer, every day of the week.  But if ever there was a band needing to dial it back a bit, and let the songs breathe some, for me it's Alter Bridge.

For what that's worth  ;)

Man, you nailed my thoughts on this topic!

Like a lot of previous posters, I 'liked' Creed, but I wouldn't say I was a die-hard fan. The debut caught my ear in the late '90s, Human Clay got some seriously heavy rotation, and I thought there were a handful of good tunes on Weathered (although, the wheels had begun to come off at that point).

When Alter Bridge dropped their debut, I was pretty ecstatic, as I'm probably one of the 15 people on the planet that listened to the Mayfield 4 at the time, and I was pretty confident that Myles and Mark would make for a potent pairing.

And through Blackbird, the band absolutely delivered.

Post-Blackbird, however, I have grown less and less interested. The records are 'fine,' but as Wardy pointed out, there's a heavier reliance on, well, heaviness that just doesn't seem to work for me.

In fact, I'd say I've probably listened to more Creed over the past five years than anything AB post-Fortress (I'll even throw III in there).

So yeah, count me in as 'excited' for a Creed revival.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2023, 08:23:11 AM »
I wouldn't argue that Alter Bridge needs their material to breathe a bit. They do. I think that's a function of who they have producing and mixing them (Elvis Baskette and Jeff Moll). The first record was done by Ben Grosse. But, that record was also written and recorded as a one guitar record. I don't think Myles even plays guitar on that album. When they moved to Blackbird, and hooked up with Elvis and Jeff, I felt like they did well on Blackbird, AB III, and Fortress. After that, I felt the albums were over the top and loud. But the songs are good. The Last Hero is actually a real good album, but it is mixed as a wall of sound. When they dialed back the aggression on Walk the Sky, and incorporated synths, it was a little less walled, but Pawns & Kings (which I think is their best collection of songs since Fortress) is walled up again.

They need someone else to mix their records and create some more space. When I listen to Queensryche's Empire, or Fates Warning's Theories of Flight, those songs have heavy moments, but you can clearly hear everything (and they were done 26 years apart - so it isn't the era's production, it's just GOOD mixing). Alter Bridge needs that touch. And if they keep working with the same production team, they'll never have it.

So yes, Alter Bridge, musically, is WAY more dynamic than Creed.

But steering this back to Creed, my hope is that they avoid the whole Baskette/Moll trap. For Full Circle, Creed used Howard Benson. It has been a bit since I listened to that album. But from memory, it wasn't nearly as walled up as AB has been.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 09:12:50 AM by Samsara »

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2023, 10:17:52 AM »
Love Creed. These guys have always been great. Was a big fan of My Own Prison and Weathered. Human Clay has grown on me since they stopped, but I really only listened to the singles back in the day. Only saw them once in Boston at the FleetCenter (where the Bruins and Celtics play) in 2002 and they destroyed the place. Such a good show, played almost all of Weathered and every other single from their catalog. Such a good performance. I also really liked Full Circle when that came out. That was in rotation for a long time. Honestly, I think maybe every album has been better than the last. As classic as MOP is, there's a consistency on their last two that was not very present on the first two.

So here's hoping for a Creed reunion very soon. And if it happens I hope I can make it to a show.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2023, 09:42:38 AM »
Things are starting to look more real now.   Their Twitter page has posted a video that included an updated band photo. 2024 will be the 25th anniversary of Human Clay.  Wouldn't be surprised if they do a re-released version of it, go touring to commemorate it in 2024, and maybe do another album in the process.

https://twitter.com/creed/status/1679505855493058562

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2023, 09:51:35 AM »
Things are starting to look more real now.   Their Twitter page has posted a video that included an updated band photo. 2024 will be the 25th anniversary of Human Clay.  Wouldn't be surprised if they do a re-released version of it, go touring to commemorate it in 2024, and maybe do another album in the process.

https://twitter.com/creed/status/1679505855493058562

Saw that this morning. Cool. Mark has said Creed has a whole record done that he's sitting on. So I am sure some sort of new record and Human Clay anniversary edition is coming. Guess we'll see!

p.s. I'd gladly take AB over Creed, but I am a fan of both, so I guess AB is on a short hiatus for a bit.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2023, 09:56:15 AM »
I mean Michael Tremonti (Mark's brother whose runs the Social Media pages for AB) has been plugging that the upcoming AB tour in August will be the last one for the album.  There are no shows scheduled after August and if it there were, it would have been announced by now, so this upcoming leg is going to be it for AB for however long.  Slash has been saying that after he's doing touring with GNR this Fall, he's going back to playing with Myles and the Conspirators starting next year.  So I guess Creed will probably record something or finalize something in the Fall.  I'm still hoping Myles does a round of solo shows in the Fall.  He never came to these parts during the Ides of March tour in 2021 or last year.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 10:12:47 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2023, 10:35:22 AM »
I'm still hoping Myles does a round of solo shows in the Fall.  He never came to these parts during the Ides of March tour in 2021 or last year.

Same. We saw the Year of the Tiger gig in San Fran, and it was amazing. Small show, right up against the barricade. He handed my daughter his setlist. Fingers crossed. I loved the Ides of March. Great record. A shame we didn't get to see one of those shows.

The last time Creed got together, AB was on hiatus for a couple years. I'm assuming the same here. I'm also assuming why we got so much material from One Day Remains on this past tour is because it is that album and the band's 20th anniversary. Hopefully Creed does its thing for 2024 and 2025, and AB is back in late 2025 with a new record and tour.

But I'm looking forward to Creed. I still remember the Human Clay show I saw at the Hammerstein. Be cool if they celebrate that record. Their last tour, they played a bunch of it. I want to say they did the whole thing on some shows, but they didn't when I saw them. So I am hoping for a two set performance of new material and classics, then a second set of all of Human Clay. Fingers crossed.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2023, 07:41:19 PM »
Love Alter Bridge. Like Creed. Probably wouldn't hurt for AB to take a bit of a break to recharge creatively. I will say that the last Creed album was my favorite of them all so I'm sure any new music would be good.