Author Topic: The Official CREED Thread - v. Never Die  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
The Official CREED Thread - v. Never Die
« on: November 10, 2022, 10:05:32 AM »
I saw that both Alter Bridge and Tremonti have separate threads, so I thought I'd start one for Creed. I don't imagine there are a TON of Creed fans on a Dream Theater forum, but I know there are some.

In general, I really like Creed. Always have. I think they get a bad rap because of two factors: 1) their success, and 2) Scott Stapp's drama.

The first is ridiculous, but that's what always happens. Whenever a band explodes in popularity at a particular time, there are always haters - that a band found something that people connect to and focus on it. It seems dumb to me. Metallica (black album), Nirvana, Creed, Nickelback, Five Finger Death Punch, the list goes on and on. You either like something, or you don't. But the hate from success has always been baffling to me.

Stapp's drama and BS is understandable. It was annoying to me, even as a fan, once Human Clay hit big. I get it completely.

All that said, I think Creed's four studio albums have a lot of quality on them. I spent more time with My Own Prison, Human Clay and Weather in comparison to the time I spent with Full Circle, but when I listen back (I just finished Human Clay and I just put on Weathered), I really feel Creed captured the angst of the time period, bringing heaviness back to the mainstream that wasn't rap-metal. Sure, there really are limited solos in the music until Weathered and Full Circle, but the songs themselves are heavy.

Call Stapp whatever you want. But I found his lyrics to be introspective, thought-provoking, and emotional. There's a realness to them that really appeals.

Human Clay is one of those gems of an album that deserves a lot more love from the metal/hard rock world. Yes, it sold like 10 million copies. But as time has gone on, people make this joke of Creed, but in actuality, Human Clay was one of the most powerful hard rock/metal albums recorded in the late-1990s/early-2000s. It struck a chord, and despite what some music snobs (of whom I am one of) say, it's a landmark record in the hard rock/metal genre.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Official CREED Thread - v. Never Die
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »
I'm a big Creed fan. I get the Stapp complaints since his vocal quality is iconic of a bygone era, and of course his personality is a huge turn off. But their albums, minus the eventual "We need to recreate Higher and With Arms Wide Opens" songs, are really great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 10:24:47 AM »
All right, where do I want to start.  This band came around before me getting into music as a teenager, so late 00s-onwards, I don't have a compass for what was the vibes of the band in the public spectrum outside of they are a punching bag for the reasons Samsara stated.

I do recall listening to My Own Prison in full once and it sounded like an album of the 90s (which I dig the tone of those kinds of albums in general).  Torn was cool.  I don't think I have the capacity to listen through Human Clay or Weathered in full (mainly for the same reasons I don't have the capacity to listen to a Slash/Myles/Conspirators album in full nowadays.  I can be quite petty like that, I apologize).  I do like One Last Breath a fair amount.  Mark doing the guitar intro and mirroring it at the end of the song is always glorious to hear and you see that in other songs he's wrote (In Loving Memory, Unable to See) later on.

I actually like Full Circle in full although I read around in the AB Nation boards that it wasn't really their best job compared to their previous three albums.

So the verdict on Creed for me?  They are all right.  Once Mark feels like he's ready to be motivated to come back to Creed at some point in time, I don't mind seeing them at an amphitheater like FivePoint in the center nosebleed sections.  Now the question becomes what t-shirt would I wear to that show?  I don't want to be that guy being judged for wearing an AB shirt or a Tremonti shirt or even a Myles shirt (which is all the concert wearing shirts I have).  Probably would be more neutral for that show and that's where I will wear the Shinedown Leave a Whisper hockey jersey that I will eventually buy for moments like these (and for hockey games that doesn't include the LA Kings).

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 10:31:28 AM »
You wouldn't get judged. At this point, music is a blessing. And I think with so many years gone by, wearing whatever, to whatever show would be just fine.

I'm not sure I need Creed to get together again, honestly. I think they've said all that they really need to say at this point. Stapp needs Creed way more than Mark, Brian and Flip do. But since Stapp does all his solo tours featuring 85 percent Creed songs, it's not like the music has been left to die (unlike Anthrax's John Bush catalog).

Adami - I'd challenge you to listen to Weathered again. Yes, "My Sacrifice" = "Higher" and there are other examples, for sure.

But "Stand Here With Me" featured the most distinct Tremonti solo up until that point, and the title track has this quality about it that just vibes with me. And "Don't Stop Dancing" off of Weathered has this quality about it I really find appealing. A ballad with a message.

In general, I feel like if people read the lyrics, particularly now, 20 years on, they might appreciate what was being said, despite the troubled messenger.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 10:39:43 AM »

Adami - I'd challenge you to listen to Weathered again. Yes, "My Sacrifice" = "Higher" and there are other examples, for sure.

But "Stand Here With Me" featured the most distinct Tremonti solo up until that point, and the title track has this quality about it that just vibes with me. And "Don't Stop Dancing" off of Weathered has this quality about it I really find appealing. A ballad with a message.

Maybe I was misunderstood. I like all of their albums, even if there are few misses. I like Weathered as well. Obviously I like Human Clay the best, but Weathered and Full Circle are also good. And despite being a bit too raw and grungy, My Own Prison is really fantastic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 10:49:57 AM »
MOP is raw, and hasn't aged well for me...BUT, there is something about it that will always resonate with me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 11:04:46 AM »
I like to make fun of Scott Stapp, but I always liked Creed well enough for what they were, and at the time they were the only mainstream band really carrying the hard rock torch that wasn’t Nu Metal. I mostly only know the first two albums, but there were some good tunes on both.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 11:29:24 AM »
I was a big fan of the band back in the day.  Their music was nothing groundbreaking.  However, I enjoyed it nonetheless.  Scott Stapp has always been the big point of contention for most with this band.  Whether it's the fact that he sounds like very similar to Eddie Vedder, the singer from Seven Mary Three and countless other singers from his era (primarily on the debut album) or that his personality was a big turn off to a lot of people, Creed became the Nickelback punching bag before most people became aware of Nickelback.  Others were turned off when they heard rumblings that they were a Christian band.  Personally, I've never understood that one.  If you like the music, like the music. 

This thread got me to pull up their music for the first time in a good while.  It's still enjoyable.  Personally, I still prefer Tremonti's solo material over both Creed and Alter Bridge.  But, that's the beauty of choice.  Listen to what you like.  Skip the rest. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 11:29:28 AM »
There are alot of those second wave grunge acts (let's be honest -  band wagon jumpers rather than origitors) that aren't as bad as their reputation was/is - Bush, Live, Stone Temple Pilots, Our Lady Peace, Silverchair and Sponge for example.  Creed weren't a band I liked much My Own Prison had some good songs (the title track and the final 3 songs) but after that everything seemed to be plodding and fairly lifeless.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 11:38:35 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 11:45:51 AM »
I was a big fan of the band back in the day.  Their music was nothing groundbreaking.  However, I enjoyed it nonetheless.  Scott Stapp has always been the big point of contention for most with this band.  Whether it's the fact that he sounds like very similar to Eddie Vedder, the singer from Seven Mary Three and countless other singers from his era (primarily on the debut album) or that his personality was a big turn off to a lot of people, Creed became the Nickelback punching bag before most people became aware of Nickelback.  Others were turned off when they heard rumblings that they were a Christian band.  Personally, I've never understood that one.  If you like the music, like the music. 

This thread got me to pull up their music for the first time in a good while.  It's still enjoyable.  Personally, I still prefer Tremonti's solo material over both Creed and Alter Bridge.  But, that's the beauty of choice.  Listen to what you like.  Skip the rest.

I think the "hate" spewed at bands like Creed are human nature. Everyone always looks to take down someone else. It sucks. If there was one thing in this world that I'd like to change, it really is that - eliminate the hate toward others for things they like. The world be a lot more peaceful. Take Nickelback - I'm not really a fan of the band as a whole, but The State and Silver Side Up? Their first two records? Absolute gems. Nothing groundbreaking, but really, really good records. And yet...they were ridiculed just as bad as Creed. (As were Nirvana by many who loved the 80s and early 90s metal. - not me, I really enjoyed Nevermind, and I dug bands like Pearl Jam [at least their first couple records], Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.

It's all just rock, man. Creed's success should stand as a point of pride, not damnation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 12:02:10 PM »
I like Creed.  Always did.

My favorite full album was Weathered, but they had great songs on every album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 12:52:58 PM »
I like Creed.  Always did.

My favorite full album was Weathered, but they had great songs on every album.

For some reason, Weathered was my least favorite album from them.  They guy they got to play bass on that tour was the lead singer from Dark New Day.  I love their debut album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 01:22:15 PM »

They guy they got to play bass on that tour was the lead singer from Dark New Day.  I love their debut album.

Brett Hestla. And he was also the lead singer of Virgos Merlot, who had an incredible record called Signs of a Vacant Soul. Funny how the best singer on stage for Creed that tour was on bass.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 01:41:54 PM »

I think the "hate" spewed at bands like Creed are human nature. Everyone always looks to take down someone else. It sucks. If there was one thing in this world that I'd like to change, it really is that - eliminate the hate toward others for things they like. The world be a lot more peaceful. Take Nickelback - I'm not really a fan of the band as a whole, but The State and Silver Side Up? Their first two records? Absolute gems. Nothing groundbreaking, but really, really good records. And yet...they were ridiculed just as bad as Creed. (As were Nirvana by many who loved the 80s and early 90s metal. - not me, I really enjoyed Nevermind, and I dug bands like Pearl Jam [at least their first couple records], Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.

It's all just rock, man. Creed's success should stand as a point of pride, not damnation.

The funny thing is, of all the bands you mention, the one I like least is the one that DIDN'T get all the hate from people for being famous: Nirvana.  I think bands settle in to where they belong, but for some reason, Nirvana is STILL hailed as one of the greatest rock bands of all time.  They're not even the third best SEATTLE band, for gosh sakes, but the legacy endures.   I like a lot of Nickelback, I LOVE a lot of Stone Temple Pilots, and a band like Our Lady Peace is CRIMINALLY underrated (Clumsy is an amazing record).   

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 03:46:21 PM »
Without turning this into a Seattle rock discussion, Nirvana just struck a chord. They were my least appreciated "Seattle" band of that era. I loved "Smells Like Teen Spirit" when it came out on MTV, and just considered it another rock band. But after that, I didn't get what all the fuss was. It wasn't until the post-humous "You Know You're Right" came out, that I think I appreciated them more.

Funny enough, when I interviewed Kelly Gray (ex-Queensryche) in 2001, he called Nirvana "the pop version of Grunge, if anything." And he was right. They took the spirit of what was going on up there and put it into a form that really took hold with the mainstream. I had to give Nirvana a lot of credit after that. For me, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains really were the bands I loved from that era of Seattle rock. But to be honest, both of those bands were so firmly rooted in Black Sabbath, I'm not sure they were ever grunge. Alice in Chains has always called themselves a metal band. Soundgarden never did, and probably isn't, but they aren't grunge, either, whatever that term means.

I get the popular appeal now of Nirvana, just as I have always gotten the popular appeal of Creed. So I no longer really have any feeling of "disregarding" some of these bands. They define musical eras.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 04:06:30 PM by Samsara »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 04:23:40 PM »

They guy they got to play bass on that tour was the lead singer from Dark New Day.  I love their debut album.

Brett Hestla. And he was also the lead singer of Virgos Merlot, who had an incredible record called Signs of a Vacant Soul. Funny how the best singer on stage for Creed that tour was on bass.

I'll definitely check out those other albums. Thank you!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2022, 05:11:47 PM »
Love the band. Love the first 3 albums. Creed are a better live band than AB in my opinion too. I'm a BIGGER AB fan, but as much as I love Myles, Scott is simply a better entertainer! I'm a BIG fan of Scott and hope they have at least a reunion tour in their future!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 08:17:06 PM »
I love Creed, but AB is definitely better. There are definitely times when I’ll turn to My Own Prison and Human Clay though. Those albums just stand the test of time for me. I bought my Dad the With Arms Wide Open single for Father’s Day in 2000, Higher was on one of his mix CDs. I got hooked.

Btw, Never Die, the title of this thread. DAYUM, that’s a good song
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2022, 06:53:58 AM »
My Own Prison and Human Clay are great. They started to lose me a bit with Weathered, but I've still always enjoyed Creed and never understood the hate. I honestly think that rock bands who gain mainstream acceptance are always going to be reviled to a degree. Rock is often felt to be a counter-culture or rebellious thing, so when it gets popular, that doesn't compute in some rock fans brains.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2022, 07:29:15 AM »
I used to like Creed, an unfairly maligned band IMO. There was some great stuff on those albums, they were a favourite band of mine at the time.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2022, 08:01:01 AM »
Creed were, actually, the first "rock band" that I discovered and really came to love as a young person. "Higher" was the coolest thing I'd ever heard when I was 12 years old. I had the Human Clay cassette, and listened to it over and over again. Eventually I went back and listened to My Own Prison, which I sometimes liked even more. I was probably 13-14 by the time Weathered came out, and I remember listening to the radio so that I could record "My Sacrifice" onto a cassette tape. I got in a little bit of trouble for my Creed love, because when the towers fell on 9/11, all I could think about was Stapp's prophetic lyrics, which often dealt with tragedy, the nation divided, and the sufferings of life. 

I idolized Stapp, and really thought he was some kind of authentic spiritual leader based on videos and interviews I had read. And then, shit, his crazy antics really broke me. Seeing him drunk on stage, and acting like a total fool. I really fell out of love with them fast, but it was a formative moment, because I was a young person who looked at Creed as "gods" and then I realized they weren't.

Still, Creed led me to Tool, which led me to the wider world of progressive music, including DT. Every now and then I'll go back and listen to Human Clay. I think it's still a very good album. The other two haven't aged as well, but they have some great moments. "Don't Stop Dancing" is an incredible song that still moves me too this day. Creed get too much crap, overall. I agree with Kirk Cousins, who said about Creed, "[Creed] was the jam... and then someone decided they weren't cool... I'm in the weight room and [My Sacrifice] came on. I don't hate it, I never hated this song. Why can't it be a good song?"

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2022, 05:42:30 PM »
Great thread, Samsara–thanks to you, I gave Human Clay a spin for the first time in ages this morning.

Like a lot of you, I enjoyed the hell out of Creed's first two albums, and about half of Weathered.

I also agree with the sentiment that the band was unfairly maligned, although, the stigma certainly hasn't dogged Tremonti's post-Creed work.

That said, for as much as I enjoy Alter Bridge and Tremonti, I still rate Creed's initial run at the top of the list.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2022, 03:02:05 AM »
Was a huge fan also and IMO My Own Prison through to Alter Bridge's Blackbird, and I include Full Circle in that run, outclass anything and everything else by the lot of them.

I tired and moved on from Creed for a long while but ironically only couple weeks back I found a mint condition copy of Creed's 3CD Retrospective at a record fair for a measly $10 (since found that sucker usually goes for over $100 these days)...

Anyway really enjoying rediscovering this stuff sure I got why Stapp and subsequently the band got ridiculed Stapp certainly was a dick, but their music was great.  And will always maintain it's criminal that To Whom It May Concern and Is The End were relegated to B-Sides, two of their best magnificent stuff \m/

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2022, 10:51:16 AM »
Not sure if anyone else has said the same yet, but I discovered Creed through WWE Wrestling back in 2001. I was a huge fan back then and they did a generic promo in that year that had My Sacrifice as the music. Man, I fell hard for that song. Went out and bought Weathered and played it so much.

It was One Last Breath that really ultimately kept me coming back though. I met a girl in 2002 and pined after her for about 3 years, and this song ways made me think of her. We nearly got together multiple times over those years but it took 3 years to finally get it together.

Creed will always take me back to that time. I spin Weathered occasionally but I've just honestly overplayed it. Human Clay is also really good buy I never even bought the debut back then.

But yea, Bullets, Freedom Fighter, Signs, One Last Breath, My Sacrifice and Stand Here with Me, those were my jams. Some truly great riffs as well.

I may get some heat for this but Alter Bridge just don't do it for me in the same way. I like Blackbird (the song) but generally I'd take Creed any day.

Anyone else discover them through wrestling?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2022, 11:14:09 AM »
I did recall watching a fanmade highlight video of a WWE PPV from 2002 that used Young Grow Old which was the theme song for that PPV.  That was during the time where WWE used bands from Wind-Up Records for their PPV/wrestlers theme songs (Creed, Finger 11, Seether, Evanescence, 12 Stones, Alter Bridge before they bought out of that contract that took 13.5 years for them to pay off the loan from that buyout, etc.)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2022, 11:31:30 AM »
I did recall watching a fanmade highlight video of a WWE PPV from 2002 that used Young Grow Old which was the theme song for that PPV.  That was during the time where WWE used bands from Wind-Up Records for their PPV/wrestlers theme songs (Creed, Finger 11, Seether, Evanescence, 12 Stones, Alter Bridge before they bought out of that contract that took 13.5 years for them to pay off the loan from that buyout, etc.)

Don't forgot Saliva  :lol I also heard Drowning Pool via wrestling, were they on Wind-Up Records?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2022, 11:43:16 AM »
Drowning Pool was on Wind-Up Records.  Saliva was not.

On that note, I must bring up this cover that the WWE released of a compilation album back in the day.  This looks like something off of a Nu-Metal poster from the early 2000s.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 11:48:20 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2022, 12:07:22 PM »
Drowning Pool was on Wind-Up Records.  Saliva was not.

On that note, I must bring up this cover that the WWE released of a compilation album back in the day.  This looks like something off of a Nu-Metal poster from the early 2000s.

Yep, I had that album. Wrestling definitely introduced me to Rob Zombie (it was Edge's intro music in 2001) and Kid Rock (The Undertakers intro when he became the American Badass, and multiple PPV promos after that). Good times, good times.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2022, 04:31:26 PM »
I was almost totally out of the mainstream rock loop until high school.  At that point I heard some friends talking about My Own Prison as a newer cool thing and had to check it out.  I listened to that album a fair amount, as well as the next two when they came out.  It was kind of a bizarre feeling, because in retrospect I don't know whether Creed being the hot new thing to becoming reviled was gradual, or overnight.  By the time it happened I was getting so deep into the European metal scene that I didn't even notice, it just seemed to sneak up on me culturally, and all of a sudden everybody hated Creed and Nickelback (yet somehow they still kept selling millions and packing arenas).  Nu-metal too, but I think that was much more controversial right out of the gate. 

I always liked Tremonti as a player, he had some killer heavy tones mostly starting on Human Clay, and I dug the clean intros of some of the songs.  I was pretty indifferent to Stapp at first, but I guess absorbed some cultural dislike by osmosis over the years.  Alter Bridge suited my tastes much more, because Myles, while initially not a favorite, was definitely a superior vocalist, and I liked Mark's voice the most of them.  The songwriting I thought was better, and more focus on guitar parts.  But still, I always maintained that people who thought they were worlds apart were being silly, Alter Bridge is still 3/4 of Creed. 

at the time they were the only mainstream band really carrying the hard rock torch that wasn’t Nu Metal.

I dunno about that.  There was Sevendust, Tool, Breaking Benjamin, Fuel, Disturbed, and Stone Sour, just to name a few.  Or semi-mainstream bands like Drain S.T.H., Loudmouth, and Local H. 

I think the "hate" spewed at bands like Creed are human nature. Everyone always looks to take down someone else. It sucks. If there was one thing in this world that I'd like to change, it really is that - eliminate the hate toward others for things they like. The world be a lot more peaceful.

I try and think like this as much as I can.  There's too much else wrong with the world for music to be the focus of our hatred.  There's very little music I hate, and the artists that don't connect with me I just tend to ignore and focus on what I like instead. 

I honestly think that rock bands who gain mainstream acceptance are always going to be reviled to a degree. Rock is often felt to be a counter-culture or rebellious thing, so when it gets popular, that doesn't compute in some rock fans brains.

Except that somehow some bands escape it.  Nirvana already being discussed, but The Beatles, Queen, The Police, Radiohead and others, for various reasons.  I think Creed and Nickelback are just perceived as pandering to a lower common denominator, but in that regard they're really not that different from AC/DC, who never were nearly as hated. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 04:36:33 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2022, 04:43:41 PM »
I was really into Creed in my teenage years, but then I discovered Alter Bridge and thought them to be a lesser, say, proto-version of what Alter Bridge came to be (It's still my opinion on them) and kind of grew out of them. That being said, I LOVE My Own Prison and still consider it to be one of the best Post-grunge albums of the late 90's. I dig some tracks off Weathered too (One Last Breath, Hide and specially Bullets). Human Clay I can take or leave and is honestly the album I listen to the less, and I really can't remember much of Full Circle save for Rain, which I like.

I think wrestling and skateboarding really helped to the success of Nu-Metal and Post-Grunge back in the day. I still label bands like Saliva or Our Lady Peace as "WWE-core" :lol . I immediately associate their music to the Attitude or Ruthless Aggression era.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2022, 04:35:47 AM »
I read Scott Stapp’s biography a few years ago and I think you would understand his personality after reading it. I thought he was youd typical rock star douche, but my opinion changed after reading it. Still like their last two albums more than their first two.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2022, 06:44:33 AM »
Creed were, actually, the first "rock band" that I discovered and really came to love as a young person. "Higher" was the coolest thing I'd ever heard when I was 12 years old. I had the Human Clay cassette, and listened to it over and over again. Eventually I went back and listened to My Own Prison, which I sometimes liked even more. I was probably 13-14 by the time Weathered came out, and I remember listening to the radio so that I could record "My Sacrifice" onto a cassette tape. I got in a little bit of trouble for my Creed love, because when the towers fell on 9/11, all I could think about was Stapp's prophetic lyrics, which often dealt with tragedy, the nation divided, and the sufferings of life. 

Man, are you me? :lol I got into Creed pretty much the same way. Higher was my first exposure to the band and from that moment I was hooked. From there I moved onto My Own Prison and then Weathered. I've always enjoyed Creed more than AB, in large part due ton nostalgia and finding Creed at a time when I was really discovering and getting into music.

My personal opinion is My Own Prison was their best, Human Clay comes close but can never reach that rawness that MOP had. When I got into guitar I spent many, many nights learning how to play the riffs from that album.

What's everyone's thoughts on Full Circle? I was pretty hyped when I heard it was coming out but skeptical because AB had been putting out great records so I was wondering how the band was gonna do after a break. Overall the album is a good album but is eclipsed by their previous works. It felt unpolished to me and could've used more time to bake.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2022, 09:06:11 AM »
I know Creed were (are?) huge in the states, but I feel they are relatively unknown in the UK. Before hearing them on WWF, I'd never even heard of the band. The only other friends of mine who also know of them, are wrestling fans.

I don't recall them ever getting any airplay on the radio. Anyone else from the UK wanna chime in? Ariich?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2022, 10:41:23 AM »
^^ I think Creed was a huge unknown band when it comes to the UK markets and Mark has said in many interviews, that's one of the key reasons why he feels AB is big doing arenas in the UK and Europe, because with that area not knowing Creed, they didn't know what's going on with the band and thus, AB can start to build a fanbase without that "baggage," that might have sunk them at the start in the states (which is odd, because you hear the name Creed, you think Stapp, and the lyrics, and the voice, but you never read about much about the actual music, Mark's guitar playing, etc.)

Offline HOF

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2022, 11:30:05 AM »

at the time they were the only mainstream band really carrying the hard rock torch that wasn’t Nu Metal.

I dunno about that.  There was Sevendust, Tool, Breaking Benjamin, Fuel, Disturbed, and Stone Sour, just to name a few.  Or semi-mainstream bands like Drain S.T.H., Loudmouth, and Local H. 

Yeah, it’s not that there weren’t some other popular hard rock acts, but I remember watching VH1 a ton aound 1999-2001 and there just weren’t a lot of other hard rock bands getting played, and none of them seemed to have solos. Creed sort of transcended to more of a top 40 spotlight around the time of Higher and With Arms Wide Open. Bands like Tool never existed in that space.