Author Topic: Top Of The World Tour 2023  (Read 69746 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top Of The World Tour 2023
« Reply #945 on: March 10, 2023, 08:56:05 PM »
That's actually a big reason I want to see them, after seeing videos online (including yours) I want to see a band play like that.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #946 on: March 11, 2023, 07:00:52 AM »
If it was me I'd like it if they lost the click. I know it makes life a lot easier for everyone but at times it feels like they are playing to a click versus each other. You can still have amazing shows and production without a click, I saw Tool last year and it was one of the best show I've seen. No click and they rotate a couple of tracks from city to city.

The Winery Dogs were so good live because of how you can see them communicate with each other on stage as they go in and out of their jams during songs. It feels organic and not mechanic.

They were indeed very good. There were more noticeable mistakes but its just a different style. DT is more mechanical and will always be that thankfully.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #947 on: March 11, 2023, 05:08:04 PM »
If it was me I'd like it if they lost the click. I know it makes life a lot easier for everyone but at times it feels like they are playing to a click versus each other. You can still have amazing shows and production without a click, I saw Tool last year and it was one of the best show I've seen. No click and they rotate a couple of tracks from city to city.

The Winery Dogs were so good live because of how you can see them communicate with each other on stage as they go in and out of their jams during songs. It feels organic and not mechanic.

They were indeed very good. There were more noticeable mistakes but its just a different style. DT is more mechanical and will always be that thankfully.

I'm definitely not a fan because of "mechanical"-ness, fwiw. Would love to see them dial that down and bring up "natural"-ness instead.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #948 on: March 11, 2023, 05:39:31 PM »
I'm definitely not a fan because of "mechanical"-ness, fwiw. Would love to see them dial that down and bring up "natural"-ness instead.
Same for me, although I wouldn't say mechanical, but more rigid. DT always has been more mechanical both in the studio and live, but with MP there was more spontaneity live; since he's been gone, their lives shows have been much more rigid, and IMO, too much. And I say that not just because of the static setlists, but because everything is glued to the click track.

At least they've finally gotten rid of the canned backing vocals, so there's always hope that one day they'll stop relying so much on the click, and maybe even start having A and B setlists like on the Dramatic tour, which I thought was a reasonable middle ground between the rotating setlists did and the static setlists of today.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #949 on: March 12, 2023, 12:40:27 AM »
It's a funny one because the technical aspect of the band is obvs one of the attractions, and seeing them play incredibly well in front of you is amazing, and doing so without a metronome is mind blowing.

But once you tie that to a click it pushes it too far, imo. There are countless videos of people shredding to metronomes online but it's not the display I want from my favourite artists.

(Although to contradict myself, seeing them play in London -to a click - has totally reawakened my love for the band.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: March 12, 2023, 12:49:42 AM »

I welcome the mistakes as long as it's not breaking the song.  There were definitely mistakes at TWD show I saw, but none ruined the song. I'd say recovering from a mistake is just as impressive as nailing a solo sometimes.  I don't need my live performances to be perfect, that's what the album is for.  I'd rather it feel as live as possible and for the band to be playing in the moment.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #951 on: March 15, 2023, 09:26:00 PM »
And, for me, that's where allowances can be made. Bruce is doing way more, waaaaay more, in a show than just standing there and singing. Same reason why Geddy, even though he ended up sounding worse than a strangled cat, also got a pass.

I, of course, add that Bruce's performance is obviously stratospherically better than Geddy's ended up being.

Geddy really shouldn't me mentioned as a naturally talented vocalist. He put a lot of work into it and came a long way with the energy, sincerity and passion. (One of the reasons I love the guy.)

Bruce is my favorite vocalist and does so much as a front man-he's the show master.  I love Rush too.  What he did as a multli-instumentalist, including as a truly great bass player, is remarkable.  When I first heard Rush, I thought his vocals were odd, but I learned to appreciate them over time and after have seeing Rush live many times.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #952 on: March 16, 2023, 09:16:45 AM »

I welcome the mistakes as long as it's not breaking the song.  There were definitely mistakes at TWD show I saw, but none ruined the song. I'd say recovering from a mistake is just as impressive as nailing a solo sometimes.  I don't need my live performances to be perfect, that's what the album is for.  I'd rather it feel as live as possible and for the band to be playing in the moment.

This is me.  I love the spontaneity aspect of many shows. I get that not all bands can do that - Maiden, Kiss (though they used to) - but those that can and do, it makes it exciting. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: March 16, 2023, 09:22:58 AM »
I love the spontaneity aspect of many shows. I get that not all bands can do that - Maiden, Kiss (though they used to) - but those that can and do, it makes it exciting. 

I hate to sound all Eddie Trunk here, but it's becoming so rare for bands to be completely 100% live with no backing tracks at all.  It makes it even more exciting when you see it these days.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #954 on: March 16, 2023, 01:21:44 PM »
Is DT touring at all this summer??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #955 on: March 17, 2023, 09:10:29 AM »
Is DT touring at all this summer??
JP has his Guitar Universe thing first week of August, so any touring would need to accommodate for that.

My guess is they will come back to the US in September.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #956 on: March 17, 2023, 09:54:24 AM »
I can't help but notice that the Jakarta date is listed on the poster as "Last Stop On" Top of the World Tour.
It would very much surprise me if they didn't do a second US leg, but I can't imagine in what other context it would be listed as the "last stop"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: March 17, 2023, 11:38:24 AM »
Maybe the second US leg will be marketed as a different tour, I'm not sure that makes it a second leg then.  Maybe there is no US tour this year,

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #958 on: March 17, 2023, 11:58:47 AM »
Maybe the second US leg will be marketed as a different tour, I'm not sure that makes it a second leg then.  Maybe there is no US tour this year,

Didn't Bosk tease they were planning a co-headlining tour with some unmanned band before the lockdowns hit? Hopefully that ends up happening after all.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #959 on: March 17, 2023, 02:15:01 PM »

Train of Thought's anniversary is this year. I would consider it a top 5 album album for them, and would even consider it their top 3 album in general. It is not my top 3rd album though. They could base a tour around it. I think it'd be neat to combine 6DOIT (the song) for set 1 and the entire TOT album as set 2.

But, if there is nothing planned for the summer/fall, I would not mind either. It would be cool to have the guys tour for their own side projects/solo albums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

• PR permission
« Reply #960 on: March 17, 2023, 02:50:52 PM »
Unfortunately I suspect this is indeed the end of the View world tour. I am very disappointed we didn't get a recording of what was an excellent show, but maybe there will be a different tour in the near future.

Online EPIC Outro

« Reply #961 on: March 17, 2023, 03:37:30 PM »

I would love a limited acoustic tour in small theaters. Maybe an acoustic EP.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #962 on: March 17, 2023, 07:06:10 PM »
I can't help but notice that the Jakarta date is listed on the poster as "Last Stop On" Top of the World Tour.
It would very much surprise me if they didn't do a second US leg, but I can't imagine in what other context it would be listed as the "last stop"

That is very interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #963 on: March 17, 2023, 07:31:11 PM »
I realize this isn't part of the View tour, but....who else has watched this recently (5:30 mark for the solo) and gotten goosebumps???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRvAPLrZQ0U

Offline Kram

« Reply #964 on: March 19, 2023, 02:25:44 PM »
I realize this isn't part of the View tour, but....who else has watched this recently (5:30 mark for the solo) and gotten goosebumps???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRvAPLrZQ0U
That was awesome and yes, JP crushes that solo for sure.  James sounds great too!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #965 on: March 20, 2023, 01:20:42 AM »

I love this idea.

I'd also love to see them record and write something where the instrumentation leans more that way. Bit of a stripped-down, left-turn challenge.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #966 on: March 20, 2023, 09:27:41 AM »

Don't hold your breath.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #967 on: March 20, 2023, 03:18:13 PM »

Don't hold your breath.
LOL, yeah don't see that happening anytime soon. Would be cool though!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: March 20, 2023, 03:23:05 PM »
It really would be cool if they took the fall to do a different type of tour. Whether that be acoustic, or a club tour. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #969 on: March 20, 2023, 03:23:32 PM »

I love this idea.

I'd also love to see them record and write something where the instrumentation leans more that way. Bit of a stripped-down, left-turn challenge.
I would really love that as well.  Doesn't need to be a whole album like this, just give us a track or two.  Or a new album with many twists and turns.  Some stripped down acoustic songs, Heavy aggressive "Glass Prison" type songs, some more proggy songs all on the same album.  Sounds like I'm describing 6DOIT disc one lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #970 on: March 20, 2023, 04:42:33 PM »
It really would be cool if they took the fall to do a different type of tour. Whether that be acoustic, or a club tour.

Something with a smaller stage production like the I&W&B tour would work for a club tour. And I think it'd be better if they ditched the click for this type of tour at least, since there wouldn't really be a need for it if the stage production is smaller. My guess is that they only utilize the click for the synchronization of the video, lights, and the music, which makes for a tighter stage production.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #971 on: March 20, 2023, 05:06:14 PM »

I love this idea.

I would really love that as well.  Doesn't need to be a whole album like this, just give us a track or two.  Or a new album with many twists and turns.  Some stripped down acoustic songs, Heavy aggressive "Glass Prison" type songs, some more proggy songs all on the same album.  Sounds like I'm describing 6DOIT disc one lol

That's a great idea - and a great album!  ;D

The acoustic part wouldn't have to even be typical acoustic music, you know? Something crazy and DT but on acoustic instruments.

Offline Kram

« Reply #972 on: March 21, 2023, 12:29:02 PM »

I love this idea.

The acoustic part wouldn't have to even be typical acoustic music, you know? Something crazy and DT but on acoustic instruments.
Yes, that would be awesome. Let's try to get more fans to get on board with this, and maybe the band will notice.  I'm calling for a 6DOIT disc 1 type album - that would feature acoustic, balls to the wall heavy and proggy songs all on the same album!

Offline tofee35

« Reply #973 on: March 22, 2023, 10:05:25 AM »

I love this idea.

Yes, that would be awesome. Let's try to get more fans to get on board with this, and maybe the band will notice.  I'm calling for a 6DOIT disc 1 type album - that would feature acoustic, balls to the wall heavy and proggy songs all on the same album!

I haven't thought about "An Evening with John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess" from 2000 in years. But, it used to be one of my favorite instrumental albums. These comments brought back that album's memory. I'd absolutely love an acoustic DT performance. Get Mangini some 10 pound hot rods, JM a 7 string acoustic bass and we're off to the races.
-Tof

• PR permission
« Reply #974 on: March 22, 2023, 05:43:13 PM »

Don't hold your breath.

Probably this

Online Azyiu

« Reply #975 on: March 23, 2023, 04:48:14 AM »

Don't hold your breath.

Probably this

I second that... but then again, I wouldn't mind listening to an acoustic version of Octavarium
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online EPIC Outro

« Reply #976 on: March 23, 2023, 08:41:14 AM »

Just out of curiosity though... Why do you think DT would be opposed to an acoustic show?

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #977 on: March 23, 2023, 09:40:15 AM »

Just out of curiosity though... Why do you think DT would be opposed to an acoustic show?

If past performance is the best predictor of future performance, then I'd say the band's lack of an acoustic performance in this century (correct me if I'm wrong) is probably the biggest reason we won't see an acoustic show.

Plus, despite the interest from the seven of us posting on this thread, I do not think an acoustic tour would be well-attended. A 'one-off' show, on the other hand, is probably a measured success if they pick the right city.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #978 on: March 23, 2023, 10:41:50 AM »
I have little interest in seeing a DT acoustic show.  These guys are prog rockers! They are known for high octane epic concerts.  I could see them doing an acoustic song or two, but a not a whole show.  That is not their identity.
Please no!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #979 on: March 23, 2023, 10:50:33 AM »
I have little interest in seeing a DT acoustic show.  These guys are prog rockers! They are known for high octane epic concerts.  I could see them doing an acoustic song or two, but a not a whole show.  That is not their identity.
Please no!

My point exactly!

That said, I would love a 'one off' filmed for release.

The genius of the Rotterdam show back in the day was the liberal use of the term 'unplugged.' If anything, it was more just an excuse to play the lesser-represented songs.