Author Topic: Top Of The World Tour 2023  (Read 69055 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Top Of The World Tour 2023
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2022, 08:10:12 AM »
I hope they don't replace any of the songs from the new album, it's that album they're promoting after all. I would replace Bridges, Endless Sacrifice and 6:00.

If they replace any song from the new album, it'll likely be with a different song from the new album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Astrogildson

« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2022, 08:59:40 AM »
S2N + Answering the Call

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2022, 09:17:49 AM »
S2N + Answering the Call

This + Surrender to Reason :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2022, 09:32:18 AM »
I wish they'll do another mini acoustic set like they did back in ADTOE tour with Disappear and Out Of Reach.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2022, 09:35:16 AM »
I wish they'll do another mini acoustic set like they did back in ADTOE tour with Disappear and Out Of Reach.

If I had to sit through the excruciating Out Of Reach to also get Disappear, then I would, and it'd be especially cool in an acoustic type setting. I would not be happy if they gave a full song slot to Out Of Reach at a show though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2022, 03:19:30 PM »

If I had to sit through the excruciating Out Of Reach Disappear to also get Disappear Out of Reach, then I would, and it'd be especially cool in an acoustic type setting. I would not be happy if they gave a full song slot to Out Of Reach at a show though.

ftfm
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2022, 07:22:38 PM »

In the video JP says "we're playing some NEW music that we've never played live before." My guess is that probably means songs from AVFTTOTW, maybe DOT.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it!

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2022, 08:11:39 AM »
It could very well be that they drop About to Crash and 6:00 and I will be so pleased if they change those with other songs from those particular albums. Lets say, The Glass Prison and Voices. Although it will be hard to pick songs that LaBrie is still able to sing. And Voices will probably not be in this area. I think they will keep The Ministry of Lost Souls (was the high of last Tour, next to The Count) but if they don't, I hope it will be Prophets of War, that fills the void.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2022, 10:45:31 AM »
I hope they do another North American run.  Love this tour!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2022, 08:29:55 PM »
Lets say, The Glass Prison and Voices. Although it will be hard to pick songs that LaBrie is still able to sing. And Voices will probably not be in this area.
Yeah, I think Voices won't return to the setlist because it's so vocally challenging (I don't think they're willing to abridge it to skip the most difficult vocal section), but I also think TGP is also off the table - too challenging for JP to play cleanly enough to where he'd be willing to add it to the setlist.

Given that they're doing a second run through Europe and they've talked about spending a lot of 2023 touring, I would expect another run through North America will happen, especially if there's some changes to the setlist as JP says there will be.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2022, 03:05:02 AM »

Has JP ever dropped a song before because it was too difficult to play cleanly? I just can't see him holding back an awesome song like TGP from a future setlist for that reason.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2022, 06:52:53 AM »
It could very well be that they drop About to Crash....

I'm not the hugest fan of ATC, but I thought it was a great choice with perfect placement for this set.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2022, 08:19:16 AM »
Lets say, The Glass Prison and Voices. Although it will be hard to pick songs that LaBrie is still able to sing. And Voices will probably not be in this area.
Yeah, I think Voices won't return to the setlist because it's so vocally challenging (I don't think they're willing to abridge it to skip the most difficult vocal section), but I also think TGP is also off the table - too challenging for JP to play cleanly enough to where he'd be willing to add it to the setlist.

Given that they're doing a second run through Europe and they've talked about spending a lot of 2023 touring, I would expect another run through North America will happen, especially if there's some changes to the setlist as JP says there will be.

I would hope so, I really enjoyed the last tour. Hell I'll just be happy to see them.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2022, 01:09:56 PM »

Has JP ever dropped a song before because it was too difficult to play cleanly? I just can't see him holding back an awesome song like TGP from a future setlist for that reason.

It has been said for a while now that The Glass Prison has been avoided specifically for that reason.
I don't know if there is any official reference to that, though.

If you see footage from the Gigantour (2005, and if I'm not mistaken they've not played it since) you can notice JP using alternate picking for the intro instead of sweep picking. I think the main factor was the tempo being faster because MP used to do that during lives.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2022, 01:12:05 PM »
If you see footage from the Gigantour (2005, and if I'm not mistaken they've not played it since)

Well, the 8V tour in '06, but yeah, the same tour cycle.

I don't know if there is any official reference to that, though.

I am not familiar with one.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2022, 03:48:30 PM »
If you see footage from the Gigantour (2005, and if I'm not mistaken they've not played it since)

Well, the 8V tour in '06, but yeah, the same tour cycle.

Yep, that tour started with the European summer leg (first time I saw them live, June 23rd 2005 with Labyrinth and Angra opening), and last time TGP was played was in Wallingford, CT on March 29th 2006.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2022, 11:05:20 PM »
I can see him doing it for that reason. I mean, just the fact that (as has been pointed out), it hasn't been played for 16 years now says something, even if unspoken.

I'm not aware of any song being ignored or dropped for that reason, but I do know that JP is very particular about playing cleanly, and I know he has publicly regretted copying what JR does from 2:22-2:52 in TGP which was a real struggle for him to perform live. And I'm almost positive he also struggled a lot with the instrumental section in BF where he doubled JR from about 7:56-8:23. That's why I don't think either of those songs will be played again as long as JP is in control of the setlist.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2022, 01:25:40 AM »
Do we have any idea who the opening act on the next European leg will be?

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2022, 08:07:23 AM »
Do we have any idea who the opening act on the next European leg will be?

Me. They saw my cover of Beneath the Surface on YouTube after 7 years and thought I’d be a good fit with my solo acoustic shows. Personally, I am packing it, but if DT have faith in me, well, I gotta answer the call.

In all seriousness, no, I don’t think it’s been confirmed as yet.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2022, 08:12:54 AM »

Sons of Apollo is opening.

Kidding! But now that Portnoy is on friendly terms with DT, maybe one day?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2022, 08:56:50 AM »

Nothing official, but it seems like SOA don't have any plans to continue anytime soon...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2022, 11:45:06 AM »

Nothing official, but it seems like SOA don't have any plans to continue anytime soon...
Probably due to Derek's glowing personality.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2022, 03:10:18 PM »

That's a shame. Their music was a lot of fun.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2022, 06:37:21 PM »
It's such a great personnel lineup but I found the songs a little lackluster. Sometimes those supergroups underperform expectations by a mile. Chickenfoot comes to mind along with Sons of Apollo. The songs were not bad by any means, but on paper I expected better songwriting.

It boggles the mind how DT- a supergroup in its own way- manages to write its best material after 10 albums and 25 years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2022, 06:39:21 PM »
It's such a great personnel lineup but I found the songs a little lackluster. Sometimes those supergroups underperform expectations by a mile. Chickenfoot comes to mind along with Sons of Apollo. The songs were not bad by any means, but on paper I expected better songwriting.

It has always been the case.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2022, 06:47:43 PM »

It has always been the case.

I think Winery Dogs had 1 brilliant album (first one). Flying Colors too. The following albums in each case were nowhere near as good, in my humble opinion, but both debuts were gems.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2022, 06:54:27 PM »
Black Country Communion is a good example of a supergroup that worked really well, I can't remember of bad songs from them at all. Really good chemistry

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2022, 06:20:42 AM »
I can see him doing it for that reason. I mean, just the fact that (as has been pointed out), it hasn't been played for 16 years now says something, even if unspoken.

I'm not aware of any song being ignored or dropped for that reason, but I do know that JP is very particular about playing cleanly, and I know he has publicly regretted copying what JR does from 2:22-2:52 in TGP which was a real struggle for him to perform live. And I'm almost positive he also struggled a lot with the instrumental section in BF where he doubled JR from about 7:56-8:23. That's why I don't think either of those songs will be played again as long as JP is in control of the setlist.

That's a shame, because I would love to see both of those songs live. I did get to see TGP when Portnoy at the Shattered Fortress show.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2022, 03:01:09 PM »
i've seen the glass prison live, but considering the upcoming show will probably my last time i'll go see them i hope they throw out count for prison

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2022, 11:32:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDcXlFl1guM

now we know one of the new songs they're playing :-)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2022, 12:12:25 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2022, 12:52:31 PM »
Ah just the best song on A View... I hope they pull it out and it makes its way to the US

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2022, 01:04:34 PM »
I really, really like Answering the Call so that would be just fine by me. Curious which one would be cut off. I think it'll be Invinsible Monster.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2022, 09:32:51 PM »
I'd take Sleeping Giant over Answering the Call.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2022, 10:11:17 PM »
The only one I'd actually be excited about is Transcending time.