Author Topic: Top Of The World Tour 2023  (Read 69703 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Top Of The World Tour 2023
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2022, 02:20:04 PM »
The rotating setlists...I think this really matters to the bootleggers. And I admit, I miss it too. It kept me way more engaged in a tour, even though I was only going to one show.
Wat. Since when have you only gone to one show per tour? While I know you didn't roadtrip the way I did, I was under the impression you'd hit at least a couple of shows that were in your area on each tour.

Oh, well, I saw multiple shows early on, but the SFAM tour once. I didn't see them again until Gigantour in '05 and saw the '06 show.
I only saw the first SC show in '07 and didn't go to the '08 show,. . I did see them on both legs of the BC&SL tour.

For the MM Era, I saw both legs of the ADTOE tour. I think they only came through once on the DT12 tour.
I missed both legs of the TA tour and skipped the I&W&B tour. I think they only came through once on the DoT tour and so far just once on this tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2022, 05:26:03 AM »
I'll say this specifically about DT: in all the time that MP was in the band, I don't recall ever hearing or reading a post of someone complaining about the light and/or video show, saying they won't go because of it.

But he left the band many years ago and technical possibilities evolve. There is so much these days a man can build in on Tour and I'm thrilled by what and how they perform live. It so happend that I saw Transatlantic live this year and although I loved it... on quality level there was a huge difference, to what Dream Theater brought earlier this year and what Portnoy and his lovely bandmates came up with. Dream Theater was a total different appearance, much, much more complicated and professional. Funny thing by the way, in Transatlantic Portnoy uses the same setlist on tour as well.

So I don't know, I wished I was a fan back in the days where Portnoy was in but the Mangini-period gives me so much to love either. I'm with Ben_Jamin, I'm on every Tour I can jump on, not knowing how much longer they'll continue. Truly aware that this also might be the last one. Although Dream Theater has the intention to continue the record studio albums in their brand new DTHQ, they are at an age that performing on such a high level isn't surely given, in years to come.

And of course, I would love to see they record some evenings for a live-vinyl release.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2022, 06:05:48 AM »
I may be overthinking it, but I think there is a chance they will play ToT in its entirety on this tour. Look, they played the entire I&W in 2017 on its 25th anniversary. Then they played the entire SfaM in 2020. 2023 is the 20th year since ToT was released. Sure, I know the tour is called the "Top Of The World" tour, but this tour is less than a year since the conclusion of the first one. I just don't think they will repeat themselves too much on this second go around.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2022, 06:13:51 AM »
I may be overthinking it, but I think there is a chance they will play ToT in its entirety on this tour. Look, they played the entire I&W in 2017 on its 25th anniversary. Then they played the entire SfaM in 2020. 2023 is the 20th year since ToT was released.

Yeah, except that whole “we’re done with playing full anniversary albums” announcement from JP kinda tends to disagree.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2022, 06:52:06 AM »
If that is happening, they missed the perfect opportunity to call it "ToT Of The World Tour."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2022, 07:27:29 AM »
The look and feel of the show (the presentation) is a lot higher caliber and more professional than it was in the old days, and that is something that the band wanted.  They aren't going to give that up.  There has been a steady progression, from them playing clubs with just a light show and no one knowing about them other than their fan base, to having a professional presentation and being nominated for - and winning - a Grammy.  I just don't see them moving backwards on that.

Having said that, yes, I wish they would be less reliant on clicks/backing tracks.  But that most likely isn't going to happen, which means there will be little, if any, set list changes in the foreseeable future.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2022, 07:52:07 AM »
I think people wouldn't mind the click/more complex production so much if DT brought back some of those other elements (rotating some songs, improv spots, etc). The closest to this has been the ADTOE tour, where they had at least two rotating setlists and a few improv spots here and there. On the IWAB tour they did add some extra sections for the IAW songs, but the setlist didn't change from night to night.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2022, 08:06:26 AM »
I think people wouldn't mind the click/more complex production so much if DT brought back some of those other elements (rotating some songs, improv spots, etc).

I have to agree with this. But also, I feel like this is the time, I have to point out that I haven’t liked either ending they’ve done for Finally Free with Mangini anywhere near as much as Overture 2000 (that One Last Time instrumental reprise). So when they do add something extra to the songs, it doesn’t always work for me. I didn’t even think that putting the extended drum solo into Metropolis where it was on the IWB tour was all that strong. It just felt like “oh yeah, here’s the drum solo. Oh, he’s done? I think this is where we left off”.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2022, 09:33:30 AM »
I think people wouldn't mind the click/more complex production so much if DT brought back some of those other elements (rotating some songs, improv spots, etc).

I have to agree with this. But also, I feel like this is the time, I have to point out that I haven’t liked either ending they’ve done for Finally Free with Mangini anywhere near as much as Overture 2000 (that One Last Time instrumental reprise). So when they do add something extra to the songs, it doesn’t always work for me. I didn’t even think that putting the extended drum solo into Metropolis where it was on the IWB tour was all that strong. It just felt like “oh yeah, here’s the drum solo. Oh, he’s done? I think this is where we left off”.

I also loved that they ended SFAM with the ending from the Metropolis Pt.2 live rehearsal demo.

But I also like how they ended it live with the static going out into the Encore.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2022, 12:51:59 PM »
Well JP just confirmed there will be a couple changes to the set including playing songs never played before.  https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1593329165625077760

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2022, 12:59:24 PM »
Oh finally Raw Dog hits the stage.

I mean that is a good news. Surrender To Reason, Room 137 and Sleeping Giant are my guess.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2022, 01:03:58 PM »
Great news! :metal :metal :metal

And I wouldn't mind them playing Raw Dog for real at all :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2022, 01:16:27 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the songs from the new album, ATC and SG most likely. I would love if we get S2N, STR, so we will see  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2022, 01:26:34 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the songs from the new album, ATC and SG most likely. I would love if we get S2N, STR, so we will see  :corn

Yeah I would guess it's more likely the new songs and not the few from past releases, but who knows.  I'd love S2N but I'd also be pretty bummed if Europe got it and not NA.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2022, 01:27:15 PM »
Excellent news, regardless of which songs they are.

Other than Raw Dog, of course.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2022, 01:43:12 PM »
Well JP just confirmed there will be a couple changes to the set including playing songs never played before.  https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1593329165625077760

Now, when he says "never played before", does that also include songs the band has not played with Mangini before. If so, I would absolutely love to see Stream of Consciousness, and especially Octavarium. I will buy a ticket right off the bat if I find out either of these songs gets played and they do a 2nd US leg.

Yeah I would guess it's more likely the new songs and not the few from past releases, but who knows.  I'd love S2N but I'd also be pretty bummed if Europe got it and not NA.

It would be awesome if they did Answering The Call, Surrender to Reason, or S2N. But, I think the one more likely would be Sleeping Giant replacing a longer song like Bridges In The Sky.

Watch them bust out Out of Reach. I actually wouldn't mind that at all, even though I don't really listen to it much, I think it will come across great live.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2022, 01:57:32 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the songs from the new album......

That's all it is. :tdwn

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2022, 07:05:24 PM »
I hope they come back to the USA next year. I wanna hear those new tracks!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2022, 05:28:37 AM »
I&W and SFAM were played at anniversary shows because they are the 2 most beloved and popular albums. Train of Thought is neither of those things and has no chance to be played in its entirety.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2022, 05:45:58 AM »
Well, just bought a ticket to Birmingham Symphony Hall in February, and OMG those ticket prices! I know everything is going up, but that's unjustifiable for a band like DT playing at this level. It's not like they're the Stones or Springsteen or Adele. I know, if I don't want to pay it, don't go, but still, that's quite a hike!

Having missed the 2022 setlist, I'd be happy if they played that again. Whatever they change, I hope TCOTuscany remains.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2022, 07:02:10 AM »
They’re playing You Not Me. Jordan just doesn’t realize they played it like twice before. 😂
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2022, 07:16:26 AM »
Playing Disappear 2 times and Repentance 1 time can be considered "never played"? Please...
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2022, 08:13:51 AM »
Surrender to reason might get a debut. Calling it now.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2022, 08:16:26 AM »
Seriously though, S2N and Sleeping Giant would be great.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2022, 08:23:48 AM »
I&W and SFAM were played at anniversary shows because they are the 2 most beloved and popular albums. Train of Thought is neither of those things and has no chance to be played in its entirety.

That's my feeling as well.  But it would be cool if they acknowledged it by putting a couple of songs in the set.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2022, 08:32:03 AM »

That's my feeling as well.  But it would be cool if they acknowledged it by putting a couple of songs in the set.

Yeah, I don't see them touring the album in full.  It would be cool if they did a one off show doing the whole album, but given how the band currently operates, I don't see that either.  Endless Sacrifice was already in the setlist, I'd be that stays but not sure they'd add in another ToT song. 

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2022, 08:51:16 AM »
Got my ticket for Glasgow this morning. £88 - ouch!!

Wonder if all the tickets in this leg are as pricey?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2022, 08:53:57 AM »
If I were president of DT, my call would be:  Somewhere in the middle of the set, play SOC, which gives James a nice break.  After that, he comes out, acknowledges the anniversary and says they are doing one more song, and they then go into ITNOG. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2022, 09:16:58 AM »
If I were president of DT, my call would be:  Somewhere in the middle of the set, play SOC, which gives James a nice break.  After that, he comes out, acknowledges the anniversary and says they are doing one more song, and they then go into ITNOG.

Maybe replace TCOT with ITNOG to close things out. Really hoping they don’t take the easy way out and simply add As I Am.

I wonder if they tip their cap to TOT, if they’ll keep Endless Sacrifice in the set.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2022, 09:41:19 AM »
Considering the response from ES on the last tour, I'd be surprised if they rotated it out.  I'd say the prime suspects to be swapped out are 6:00, Invisible Monster, and The Ministry of Lost Souls.  Just my own feeling based on crowd response from the two shows I saw and comments I've read here.  Replacing TMOLS might actually open up time for 2 more songs.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2022, 10:18:41 AM »
Would be happy if they'd switched TCOT out for ITNOG and leave room for S2N. But SG, TT and ATC seem the most obvious choices.

And ooh, Disappear, I'd love to experience it live.
Underrated song. But that one seems not likely at all.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2022, 10:47:07 AM »
I love Disappear, would be cool to hear it.

A big yes to Sleeping Giant, but a big no to S2N. I don’t care for that song at all - it’s a skipper for me.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2022, 10:53:22 AM »
Surrender to reason might get a debut. Calling it now.

Yes. I don't know why this song has not been played live already. It is a great progressive DT song that doesn't instantly make me think "Rush influence right here."

Unfortunately I don't think it fits into the setlist, which generally skews longer, heavier and darker-- but if they dropped About to Crash, it might work.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2022, 11:27:12 AM »
Question, are these new dates Evening With format, or will they still have an opening?

If no opening, they might just add new songs and keep the ones they are playing as it is, breaking it with an intermission of course.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2022, 11:40:57 AM »
The shows in UK are announced with support act (see Instagram).
I guess this means EU will get the same kind of set/DT-time with an opening act, yet to be announced.