Author Topic: Top Of The World Tour 2023  (Read 69561 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Top Of The World Tour 2023
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2022, 09:59:35 AM »
As far as i'm concerned in regard to DT, I could CARE LESS about video screens, click tracks, graphics, animation, blah, blah, blah. They are NOT Kiss who needs that stuff! People go to DT shows for the instrumentation and the songs! I don't expect the MP days when it comes to setlists, but it would be great to have at least, alternating sets.

So you don't appreciate at all the band putting on a show? would you enjoy it the same (maybe with a discount on the ticket price) if they were just playing in a room with basic lightning and no kind of added visual bonus at all?

Granted, every band is different, and there's no magic formula for a show that applies to everyone; some shows are more basic, some are more theatrical. And every show can be technically performed by the band members wearing everyday clothes on a basic stage with just enough lightning to let people see them. But a live concert is a show, a performance, not a band rehearsal with the public attending. It's an experience, it's more than just seeing in person some guys playing music rather than watching them on YouTube playing in a room together. Maybe some people would be just fine with a very basic show, but many as well go to shows to, well, see a show, not just to watch musicians playing their music.
I don't mind them improving the production at all, but not at the cost of playing to a click and static setlists.

The thing is, they can still do both. Rush (the band who they almost always follow as an example) almost never used a click, triggered whatever samples were needed manually (as opposed to playing along to tape) and on recent tours had swapped out a few songs from night to night. So everything we're asking for is doable - especially with 5 guys as opposed to 3. But for whatever reason, this is one thing that they won't do like Rush. That and live backing vocals.

Rush also does not play complicated metal music. So they don't have to concentrate entirely on if they'll miss a note when triggering the sample.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2022, 11:06:17 AM »
I think the only time DT's videos were actually important to the show were from the Astonishing tour.  I don't dislike the videos in any way, but I kind of agree with DTwwbwMP that most fans go to see DT so the visuals actually aren't necessary.  I don't see anyone complaining in the JP tour about the lack of visuals.  People are just generally awe struck watching these guys play at a very high level. I say this in that I really hope the "extras" don't dictate the set list and not necessarily that I think they should scale back the show.

So you don't appreciate at all the band putting on a show? would you enjoy it the same (maybe with a discount on the ticket price) if they were just playing in a room with basic lightning and no kind of added visual bonus at all?

I would say my dream DT concert might very well be this.  A GA ballroom with seats in the back, no special stage, just the band out there performing fully live without click.  If DT pulled off a show the same way MP's Shattered Fortress did in NYC, I would be happy with that.

I'm with you, Marc.   I'd be first in line for that.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2022, 11:19:16 AM »
I dunno guys, I really enjoyed the stage show.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2022, 11:34:44 AM »
I can't believe the band is returning to London so soon within less than a year. Still, I am looking forward to their show in London on 21st Feb.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2022, 11:43:34 AM »
I like Dream Theater's stage shows for the most part. I was really into what they had going for Distance Over Time.

This tour was really cool, hope Europeans enjoy it!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2022, 12:02:42 PM »
Just booked flights and accommodation for Glasgow. Tickets are released on Friday.

I saw them in Belfast earlier in the year, but I didn’t care for the arena venue much - I don’t think it suited them. The Armadillo is a much better venue for DT.

I do hope they change up the set list a bit for this leg, for a bit of variety.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2022, 12:25:56 PM »
Rush also does not play complicated metal music. So they don't have to concentrate entirely on if they'll miss a note when triggering the sample.
I'm no musician, but AFAIK, Rush's music is pretty complicated. Especially for Geddy juggling bass, keyboards and vocals. Someone who's a musician feel free to correct me.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2022, 12:53:39 PM »
I dunno guys, I really enjoyed the stage show.

I did as well. I really liked how they surrounded the video screen with the cover art backdrop. I especially really enjoyed watching the backing video during A View From The Top of The World, which everything that went on in that video is what the song is about. Seeing the video for "Rapture of The Deep" made me realize what it's about, I went..."Oh, now it makes sense" It's about deep diving into the sea.

I think the only time DT's videos were actually important to the show were from the Astonishing tour.  I don't dislike the videos in any way, but I kind of agree with DTwwbwMP that most fans go to see DT so the visuals actually aren't necessary.  I don't see anyone complaining in the JP tour about the lack of visuals.  People are just generally awe struck watching these guys play at a very high level. I say this in that I really hope the "extras" don't dictate the set list and not necessarily that I think they should scale back the show.

I would say my dream DT concert might very well be this.  A GA ballroom with seats in the back, no special stage, just the band out there performing fully live without click.  If DT pulled off a show the same way MP's Shattered Fortress did in NYC, I would be happy with that.

It actually doesn't matter to me whether a band has stage production or not. Actually, the less stage production, the more likelihood they can play a venue in my state.

But I also understand that bands want to present a fantastic stage production as well.

If you were to ask me about stage production and backing tracks, I feel every Symphonic Metal band should have an orchestra tour with them. But, my dream stage production for those bands is impossible with the logistics of touring.

I also do not think the "extras" dictate the set. But, If you're a band that tours on the new album, and the theme for the set design is based on the album, wouldn't you want songs that fit along with the theme and style of the songs.

I am saying this...A lot goes into these shows where it's more than just guys playing music on stage.

Music is a business and fans need to also understand that if they do not see shows, or buy things from the music business, it won't last and these bands will continue to struggle to tour. Humans do not realize how much of a luxury entertainment is, and in this type of economic downfall, entertainment is the first thing to go as human priorities begin to change and less people can afford going to shows, and therefore make some careful considerations to justify going to the show, and to justify paying that much to see a show in the nosebleeds. This is why I don't care and just try my best to go regardless of the setlist, backing tracks, clicks, and all the small dumb things some fans complain about. Because who knows what can happen and the band might not be able to tour anymore.

I'm sorry for the long rant, but I do find it sort of funny and amusing that bands are struggling to fill the seats, yet you have people not bothering to go because of set-lists not being to their liking, the click tracks, and various other small things that these bands utilize. And then you have people there in the venue wondering why it's empty.  :corn  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2022, 03:00:44 PM »
I'm sorry for the long rant, but I do find it sort of funny and amusing that bands are struggling to fill the seats, yet you have people not bothering to go because of set-lists not being to their liking, the click tracks, and various other small things that these bands utilize. And then you have people there in the venue wondering why it's empty.  :corn  :lol
Maybe it might be more profitable for them if they didn't invest so much in putting on a show and instead worried about the performance and content (which is the real substance of a concert)....   ;)

I'll say this specifically about DT: in all the time that MP was in the band, I don't recall ever hearing or reading a post of someone complaining about the light and/or video show, saying they won't go because of it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2022, 03:18:18 PM »
I don't think anyone here is really complaining about not going either, maybe due to the setlist but not because of the lights/video show.  That all adds to the band performing.  I'm not even complaining.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2022, 06:06:50 PM »
I don't think we'll see Octavarium played live until maybe the next tour.

If they add Octavarium to the setlist then they better come back to NA for a second leg.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2022, 06:24:19 PM »
Pretty sure they are coming back to NA.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2022, 06:36:49 PM »
As far as i'm concerned in regard to DT, I could CARE LESS about video screens, click tracks, graphics, animation, blah, blah, blah. They are NOT Kiss who needs that stuff! People go to DT shows for the instrumentation and the songs! I don't expect the MP days when it comes to setlists, but it would be great to have at least, alternating sets.
So you don't appreciate at all the band putting on a show?

DT has NEVER "put on a show" (with the one exception possibly being the Astonishing tour)! The screens, animation, etc have added ZERO VALUE IMO. Many bands throughout history have augmented the music tremendously (especially in the '70's) but DT IMO, is ALL ABOUT the instrumentation. Fabulous musicians ALL, and that's why they get people to their shows IMO.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2022, 06:39:17 PM »
It's good to see they'll do another tour BUT if they don't change setlist, at least 3-5 songs, there will be no interest for them.

Agreed, at least for the folks who saw the tour in '22. I just think it is LAZY if they don't switch things up, and I for one would DEFINITELY not go again.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2022, 06:41:26 PM »

I don't mind them improving the production at all, but not at the cost of playing to a click and static setlists. The thing is, they can still do both.

:tup :tup :tup

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2022, 06:43:33 PM »

I'm with you, Marc.   I'd be first in line for that.

2nd! ;) ;) ;)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2022, 06:46:04 PM »
Maybe it might be more profitable for them if they didn't invest so much in putting on a show and instead worried about the performance and content (which is the real substance of a concert)....   ;)

I'll say this specifically about DT: in all the time that MP was in the band, I don't recall ever hearing or reading a post of someone complaining about the light and/or video show, saying they won't go because of it.

ABSOF'NLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2022, 06:53:02 PM »

Not only that, but since he's left, I haven't heard anyone rave about it either.

Although I will say that the DT12 tour had a fucking awesome huge video screen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2022, 11:54:47 PM »

Not only that, but since he's left, I haven't heard anyone rave about it either.

I have.  Many times over.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2022, 01:47:43 AM »
I hope they document this tour for a live concert video release.  It would be a shame if this one slips through the cracks like The Astonishing tour..
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:59:13 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Trav86

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2022, 02:58:48 AM »
The staging, video production, and lighting have been exceptionally better since MP has left the band. They have hired actual production and lighting companies to do to. I’m assuming that’s not how they did it before by the way JP has talked about it. And there were some video sequences I noticed that they kept reusing even for different songs from TOT tour all the way through at least SC.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2022, 05:56:42 AM »

OK, technically, sure. But my point is that I don't think it's an overriding thing where it truly outweighs what many people are complaining about.

Personally, I don't have a preference to pre or post MP. Every show I have seen has been great throughout the years.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2022, 06:44:05 AM »

OK, technically, sure. But my point is that I don't think it's an overriding thing where it truly outweighs what many people are complaining about.

Personally, I don't have a preference to pre or post MP. Every show I have seen has been great throughout the years.

Agree 100% with this.  I have loved them live with every lineup variation I've seen back to 1994.  While I enjoy the stage set up/production of the current tours, I do miss the improvisation and setlist variation from night to night.  The one drawback to that is missing something that you REALLY wanted to see.  For example, seeing JP/MP/DL recently - I love Gemini and specifically the part that was replaced live to make room for improvs.  It was the one lowlight of the show, and only because I could listen to him play in that style for an entire album.  Seeing JP's post recently about the way the improvs in his show have evolved, and his excitement about it, I do hope some of that re-appears in DT shows going forward. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2022, 07:05:18 AM »
So as far as the improvisation, I can go either way. I thought the Solitary Shell '09 version, with MP coming out from behind the kit...I don't know. It just seemed so forced.

Playing to a click...I honestly don't care about that. At the end of the day, they are still playing their instruments. I don't care that it's at the same tempo as the album. It's not like I ever thought after a concert that "Gee, I really loved in the second verse of (whatever song) that they played it a bit slower (or faster)." Again, as long as they're still actually playing their instruments, I'm good at whatever tempo.

The rotating setlists...I think this really matters to the bootleggers. And I admit, I miss it too. It kept me way more engaged in a tour, even though I was only going to one show. Watching the different setlists was like waking up and looking at the sports scores from the night before. You'd have live versions of so many more songs from a tour. But as far as it impacted my ONE show, it really didn't matter unless the city before me got a bunch of songs that I would've preferred.
Personally, I think the JP led DT has underestimated the sneaky effective fan engagement of rotating setlists.

Yes, the video presentation HAS improved. The lighting, to me, is a wash.
The setlists from tour to tour has been excellent. They have been conscious of trying to not repeat songs from tour to tour, and the selection of songs played in the MM Era has been pretty expansive.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 07:28:28 AM by TAC »

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2022, 07:10:36 AM »
I just mostly miss their older songs. I wish they would play more songs from Awake and FII. I thought songs from those two albums are underrated and we need to hear them live more these days.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2022, 07:18:43 AM »
Awake has been largely represented in the MM Era.
Other than the TA, I&W&B, and the DoT tours, they've had an Awake song in there with 8 of the 11 songs represented.

Offline jbrum77634

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2022, 07:31:19 AM »
£115 for top priced seats at Hammersmith - not cheap.    Think I saw that even standing at the rear of the circle was £46.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2022, 07:39:08 AM »
£115 for top priced seats at Hammersmith - not cheap.    Think I saw that even standing at the rear of the circle was £46.

I got myself a pair of tickets just a few rows in front of the stage this morning, but yes, they are not cheap at all. They are £118 each all-in. Well, since I missed their last two tours, I thought it is alright to go for the expensive seats this time.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jbrum77634

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2022, 08:15:05 AM »

I got myself a pair of tickets just a few rows in front of the stage this morning, but yes, they are not cheap at all. They are £118 each all-in. Well, since I missed their last two tours, I thought it is alright to go for the expensive seats this time.

I did too for London, I'll go the Birmingham show too as thats local for me, not sure about Manchester now given the cost.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2022, 09:04:25 AM »
The setlists from tour to tour has been excellent. They have been conscious of trying to not repeat songs from tour to tour, and the selection of songs played in the MM Era has been pretty expansive.

With a few exceptions (AIA, PMU, TSCO), I agree, they've done a great job with that for the MM era.

As for the bolded, definitely. They've already played a little bit over half of the MP era tracks (50+) AND all but 9 of the songs from the last 5 albums.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2022, 11:55:30 AM »
They've already played a little bit over half of the MP era tracks (50+) AND all but 9 of the songs from the last 5 albums.

STR, R137, S2N, OOR, VK, ATC, SG, TT. What's the other song they haven't play?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2022, 12:07:46 PM »
They've already played a little bit over half of the MP era tracks (50+) AND all but 9 of the songs from the last 5 albums.

STR, R137, S2N, OOR, VK, ATC, SG, TT. What's the other song they haven't play?

I counted False Awakening Suite because it's a full band instrumental that hasn't been played, but I don't think they'll ever do it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2022, 12:41:25 PM »
Gotcha, yeah I guess technically, it hasn't been played lived even though it the intro to the self titled tour.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2022, 02:01:18 PM »
I don't think anyone here is really complaining about not going either, maybe due to the setlist but not because of the lights/video show.
...and this is *exactly* my point. If the reason why setlists aren't be rotated is largely because the production makes it too difficult to swap out some songs from show to show, then cut back on the production and switch out the songs.

The rotating setlists...I think this really matters to the bootleggers. And I admit, I miss it too. It kept me way more engaged in a tour, even though I was only going to one show.
Wat. Since when have you only gone to one show per tour? While I know you didn't roadtrip the way I did, I was under the impression you'd hit at least a couple of shows that were in your area on each tour.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2022, 02:06:30 PM »
I don't think anyone here is really complaining about not going either, maybe due to the setlist but not because of the lights/video show.
...and this is *exactly* my point. If the reason why setlists aren't be rotated is largely because the production makes it too difficult to swap out some songs from show to show, then cut back on the production and switch out the songs.

Yup, that was part of my initial point regarding this.  I have no issue with the production.  I don't think it's top of the line, but the effort is there and it's a nice addition to the show.  But if the production is the reason they aren't able to swap songs, then I think it should be cut back too.  That's just me though, I prefer the song rotations and randomness over the stage show. 

Having said that, I saw AFI last week.  They do completely different sets each night and already played ~50 different songs on their current tour.  They don't have a stage show besides lighting.  But I noticed, all the songs still seemed to have unique lighting.  nothing special or over the top, but they played a rare song at my show that had lighting designed for it.  Maybe some get away with having 50 songs prepped for low level lighting instead of paying for high quality lighting for 10 songs?  I'm sure there's a trade off here with different lighting rigs and set ups, plus a dedicated lighting crew to bring on tour.