Author Topic: Top Of The World Tour 2023  (Read 69824 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Top Of The World Tour 2023
« Reply #315 on: January 14, 2023, 06:08:56 PM »
very happy with SG and ATC though!
:tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: January 14, 2023, 06:09:36 PM »
No Train Of Thought at all.
I was expecting ITNOG as an encore.

Agreed,,,,very weak! :tdwn

Wait.....unless you agree and I misinterpreted your thumbs down? lol.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #317 on: January 14, 2023, 06:10:23 PM »

JP loves himself some Caught In A Web. No idea why they'd play that AND 6:00.

:tdwn :tdwn :tdwn

Are you agreeing with me or giving me the thumbs down for my opinion? I can't tell! :lol :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2023, 06:10:36 PM »
Was it the whole ending of Six Degrees or just SS and ATC?

SS, about to crash (reprise), losing time.
This alone is worth the ticket price. Thank you very much for the update!

:tup

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2023, 06:12:09 PM »

JP loves himself some Caught In A Web. No idea why they'd play that AND 6:00.

:tdwn :tdwn :tdwn

Are you agreeing with me or giving me the thumbs down for my opinion? I can't tell! :lol :lol

:rollin Agreeing with you. Should have just replaced 6:00 with CIAW

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2023, 06:15:32 PM »

I have always wanted to see CIAW live, so I hope it remains in the setlist when they come back to the USA.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2023, 07:18:45 PM »
I LOVE the set list.

I could do without ever seeing PMU again, but it always slays live.  BITS seems like something that ought to have been swapped out, but no biggie.  I still love the song.  The SDOIT pieces are AWESOME.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2023, 07:21:30 PM »

I'm going to make an ambitious prediction - some shows will swap BITS for Endless Sacrifice, and Answering the Call for Transcending Time.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2023, 07:24:44 PM »
If you're right, I really hope they to TT at whatever LA area show they play.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #324 on: January 14, 2023, 07:34:22 PM »
Dream Theater do a great job with concert set-lists. Since I discovered them 7 years ago, I have seen 64 different songs live by DT. And I missed the Images, Words and Beyond tour. Granted The Asonishing is 34 songs, but still. How fantastic is that!!  There will always be songs I wish they would play and others maybe not as much, but really nothing at a DT concert disappoints.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #325 on: January 14, 2023, 07:55:35 PM »

I'm curious - for those who consider Six Degrees to be one single song, do you think DT added three songs to their set tonight with Solitary Shell, About to Crash Reprise, and Losing Time the Grand Finale? If not, how would you define these additions to the set?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #326 on: January 14, 2023, 08:02:16 PM »
They added three songs to the set to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #327 on: January 14, 2023, 08:08:50 PM »

I'm going to make an ambitious prediction - some shows will swap BITS for Endless Sacrifice, and Answering the Call for Transcending Time.

Eh. I hope not. I prefer BiTS and Answering The Call.
But that's just me. 🙂

JP loves himself some Caught In A Web.

...and Six Degrees disc 2. Seems like Disc 1 has been blacklisted since "The Great Debate" didn't go over in the US on the Dramatic tour.

As far as having both 6:00 and CiAW in the set, I have no complaints at all there. The more Awake, the better.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 08:19:15 PM by sfam2112 »
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #328 on: January 14, 2023, 08:14:08 PM »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #329 on: January 14, 2023, 10:38:54 PM »
The new setlist is both good and not good at the same time :huh: :lol

The good: the SDOIT sections, ATC and SG.

The not so good: CIAW, Bridges, PMU again?

I think they nailed it with most of the new additions, but it's some of the stuff that stayed that doesn't quite work for me.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #330 on: January 15, 2023, 03:59:27 AM »
I'm really excited to see this setlist live!
The sections from SDOIT have me very excited, especially Solitary Shell. I love that piece a LOT.
A little disappointed they kept 6:00 and ditched Ministry. In my now 5 times seeing DT I think 6:00 has been on the setlist for 3 of them... Ministry was the highlight for me on the first leg of the tour.
Maybe controversial but I'm very excited for CiaW, and I am yet to actually catch PMU live, so I'm pretty happy with that being added.
Was hoping the encore would have changed, I was really hoping for ACOS or Octavarium, as much as that was a longshot

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #331 on: January 15, 2023, 07:10:55 AM »
Also, why is CIAW controversial? Is it because it has been played a lot? In many ways, I always considered it a quintessential Dream Theater song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2023, 07:16:02 AM »
Also, why is CIAW controversial? Is it because it has been played a lot? In many ways, I always considered it a quintessential Dream Theater song.

Personally, I consider it a below average DT song, not that I don't like it. I'm fine I guess with them playing it, but I don't understand why it's being played AND 6:00 is being played. Plus they have played it on a couple of tours already with Mangini. Both songs, actually.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #333 on: January 15, 2023, 07:39:51 AM »
Here's the now controversial BITS from last night's show: https://youtu.be/E-UuM2hZ2L0

They removed all pre-recorded backing vocals and actually turned up JP's mic volume for the first time in many years. It definitely sounds better, more organic and "live", but it also exposes James' struggles a lot more.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #334 on: January 15, 2023, 07:47:43 AM »
Here's the now controversial BITS from last night's show: https://youtu.be/E-UuM2hZ2L0

They removed all pre-recorded backing vocals and actually turned up JP's mic volume for the first time in many years. It definitely sounds better, more organic and "live", but it also exposes James' struggles a lot more.

James sounds like he's really struggling here... one of the comments mentions microphone issues. I hope that is the case, combined with first night of the tour. It is very nice to hear JP's actual backing vocals again. His voice sounds good here!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #335 on: January 15, 2023, 08:00:17 AM »
Facebook and youtube comments mostly mention about James' mic issue. I hope it's really mic issue because watching BITS is painful.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #336 on: January 15, 2023, 08:17:08 AM »
Facebook and youtube comments mostly mention about James' mic issue. I hope it's really mic issue because watching BITS is painful.

There's definitely mic issues because it keeps cutting out but it sounds like either he can't hear himself or maybe he's sick. When he jumped down an octave...ouch. 😖
I feel for him. That's a tough gig.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2023, 09:41:14 AM »

:omg:
 :tdwn :facepalm:

Offline Trav86

« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2023, 10:46:15 AM »
I have a feeling the people that acted like using those vocal tracks was so awful are going to miss them.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2023, 11:13:09 AM »
They really didn't need to remove them. They just had to turn them down a bit in the mix.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2023, 11:18:21 AM »
Well, it certainly sounds live now. And that's good.

But James. Crikey.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2023, 11:38:03 AM »
I have a feeling the people that acted like using those vocal tracks was so awful are going to miss them.

"the fabric of reality is tearing apart"  :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2023, 11:38:23 AM »
I really just don’t understand why they keep trotting songs out that they know James is going to have a tough time singing. Grand finale? caught in a web? Pull Me Under? and he was already struggling a bit with 6:00 and Bridges but they kept those as well. They have so many songs they could play that would be much easier on him (or maybe throw in an instrumental or two to give him a break).

Actually the latest Lost Not Forgotten release from 2010 is a great example of a set list that James could probably sing pretty well. 4 pretty easy songs, 1 more difficult(home) and one difficult (pull me under). A good balance.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #343 on: January 15, 2023, 11:42:18 AM »

There's definitely mic issues because it keeps cutting out but it sounds like either he can't hear himself or maybe he's sick. When he jumped down an octave...ouch. 😖
I feel for him. That's a tough gig.

That jump down an Octave is what he has been singing this entire tour. Without the backing tracks, it's more noticable now what part of that harmony he was actually singing. And with those backing tracks so high in the mix, those lower vocals were drowned out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #344 on: January 15, 2023, 11:51:50 AM »
I really just don’t understand why they keep trotting songs out that they know James is going to have a tough time singing. Grand finale? caught in a web? Pull Me Under? and he was already struggling a bit with 6:00 and Bridges but they kept those as well. They have so many songs they could play that would be much easier on him (or maybe throw in an instrumental or two to give him a break).

Actually the latest Lost Not Forgotten release from 2010 is a great example of a set list that James could probably sing pretty well. 4 pretty easy songs, 1 more difficult(home) and one difficult (pull me under). A good balance.

I think we have to consider the very real possibility that the songs they are picking ARE the ones James is least likely to struggle with these days, which is worrisome for their live performances future going forward.  I wouldn't think the verses to Bridges in the Sky would be that difficult, but even those in the clip from last night sounded...not good.  I couldn't make it through the whole song, to be honest.

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2023, 11:59:09 AM »

I think we have to consider the very real possibility that the songs they are picking ARE the ones James is least likely to struggle with these days, which is worrisome for their live performances future going forward.  I wouldn't think the verses to Bridges in the Sky would be that difficult, but even those in the clip from last night sounded...not good.  I couldn't make it through the whole song, to be honest.

So here’s a couple examples. 6:00 and Caught in a web are very difficult songs to sing. They could maybe do Panic Attack and Hollow Years which are much easier. Bridges is a difficult song to sing. Outcry/Lost Not forgotten/Breaking all Illusions are songs that are easier to sing. Grand Finale is very difficult to sing - maybe do Along for the Ride or The Looking Glass instead. It might not be the best setlist for everyone, but they are songs that are easier to sing and the live show would be much better for it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #346 on: January 15, 2023, 12:15:17 PM »
Well, personally, I am not there just for LaBrie. I am at their shows because I love the music of Dream Theater.  I am glad they're not picky with their sets and will include whatever they feel like. That's what I love about their sets now.

With that said, when I am there, I am not just listening and analyzing the band, I am there to enjoy the songs and that includes singing along to the lyrics, because those lyrics at times, speak to me.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #347 on: January 15, 2023, 12:58:10 PM »
mic issues are still there with answering the call, though james sounds to handle it better in that song

Offline Trav86

« Reply #348 on: January 15, 2023, 01:27:27 PM »
mic issues are still there with answering the call, though james sounds to handle it better in that song

From that video of ATC, it sounds like his mic going in and out. But also like his monitors weren’t working well. It really sounded like he couldn’t hear himself or parts of the music. There’s a point where he and John are not lining up their vocals at all and James is just staring at him. Almost like trying to follow. It’s not as much struggling to sing, he’s struggling to find his place. Which seems more of a technical issue.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

« Reply #349 on: January 15, 2023, 01:31:27 PM »

I think for me this is partially down to the fact that over the past couple of albums his voice seems to have shifted somewhat, tonally. With songs like Bridges, not only is he struggling to sing, but his voice has different textures to it that just makes it sound more off in comparison to the studio track. With songs from DoT / View, that won't be quite so persistent.