Author Topic: Top Of The World Tour 2023  (Read 69833 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Top Of The World Tour 2023
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2022, 01:49:03 PM »
Current Setlist:

The Alien
6:00
Awaken The Master
Endless Sacrifice
Bridges In The Sky
Invisible Monster
About To Crash
The Ministry of Lost Souls
A View From The Top of The World
-------------------------
The Count of Tuscany

Significantly Changed Setlist:
The Glass Prison
Answering The Call
The Alien
S2N
Endless Sacrifice
Sleeping Giant
Transcending Time
Hollow Years
AVFTTOTW
-------------
Octavarium

He did say "Significant changes and additions". My list is only if they decide to keep similar song lengths, If not, then who knows what other songs will be included, especially if those longer songs like BITS/TMOLS/ES are replaced with other shorter length songs.

What I think will happen is they'll get rid of BITS/TMOLS/6:00 for sure and swap those out with either more new album songs or something else entirely. I definitely wouldn't mind them taking out Invisible Monster and Awaken The Master to include Answering The Call/Transcending Time/Sleeping Giant into the set. I actually think that TGP would transition quite well into Answering The Call, so that is the only reason why I have it at that spot in the set.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2022, 01:53:32 PM »
That would, IMO, be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade/improvement (although I'd hope they'd also swap out Endless Sacrifice for...??).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2022, 02:10:41 PM »
That would, IMO, be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade/improvement (although I'd hope they'd also swap out Endless Sacrifice for...??).

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that and would prefer it. But, I also think Endless Sacrifice is the one non-new album song that feels like it belongs in the set this tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2022, 02:25:39 PM »

Systematic Chaos has gotten a lot of love in recent setlists. Anyone think that will continue next year?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: December 22, 2022, 02:44:38 PM »
Current Setlist:

The Alien
6:00
Awaken The Master
Endless Sacrifice
Bridges In The Sky
Invisible Monster
About To Crash
The Ministry of Lost Souls
A View From The Top of The World
-------------------------
The Count of Tuscany

Significantly Changed Setlist:
The Glass Prison
Answering The Call
The Alien
S2N
Endless Sacrifice
Sleeping Giant
Transcending Time
Hollow Years
AVFTTOTW
-------------
Octavarium

He did say "Significant changes and additions". My list is only if they decide to keep similar song lengths, If not, then who knows what other songs will be included, especially if those longer songs like BITS/TMOLS/ES are replaced with other shorter length songs.

What I think will happen is they'll get rid of BITS/TMOLS/6:00 for sure and swap those out with either more new album songs or something else entirely. I definitely wouldn't mind them taking out Invisible Monster and Awaken The Master to include Answering The Call/Transcending Time/Sleeping Giant into the set. I actually think that TGP would transition quite well into Answering The Call, so that is the only reason why I have it at that spot in the set.

That's pretty good but don't bring back 8V, TCOT is superior live IMO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: December 22, 2022, 02:49:58 PM »
Yeah, for a variety of reasons, my interest in Dream Theater as a live band has dropped off severely, but I will take as many studio albums as we can get from now till whenever they call it a day.

I agree. The two to three year tour cycles blow. I saw them last February. I'm ready for a new album. They'll come around with basically the same show this spring, and then it's wait another year.

I'm glad the LNF stuff has been coming though, but even that seems so half assed.

I've been ready for a new album since about November last year.  ;D

:lol I hear ya. Man I miss the days of my youth when your favorite bands put out a killer album EVERY YEAR. Can you imagine.

That's not what I meant...... :lol

Yeah I know that's why I had the laughing face, I got the joke.

Oh of course, silly me.  I should have picked up on that from you also.  :loser:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: December 22, 2022, 02:51:25 PM »
I wonder if the changes are happening to finally help James out a little and take into consideration his situation?  Maybe a few song selections to ease some of the load on him?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #217 on: December 22, 2022, 03:06:53 PM »
I'd honestly drop anything that isn't from A View from this year's setlist, except maybe the ATC/TMOLS duo. Please replace 6:00, Endless Sacrifice, Bridges and maybe even TCOT, as we already have official live versions of those with this lineup.

I'm assuming set times will be the same, since it seems they're still bringing an opening act, but I think they might replace some of those with more songs that are shorter.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline dodido253

« Reply #218 on: December 22, 2022, 04:53:02 PM »
My wild guess is they’d play ITNOG as a tribute to TOT

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: December 22, 2022, 07:01:37 PM »

TDS!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #220 on: December 22, 2022, 07:02:38 PM »

TDS!  :metal

We can only hope.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #221 on: December 22, 2022, 11:48:45 PM »
According to James LaBrie, they will be touring North America this spring!

https://blabbermouth.net/news/james-labrie-doesnt-think-dream-theater-will-begin-recording-next-album-before-early-2024

"And then the plan is that we're supposed to do something in the spring throughout North America. And then we'll finally get over to Asia, because we haven't been there… That was supposed to be our next leg when we finished in Glasgow in February 2020, just before the pandemic. We were supposed to be in Asia in April [2020]. That never happened. So we have to get to Asia, go through Asia. And then I think that's it."

When he refers to planned Asia dates in spring 2020, isn't that when the cancelled Australia dates were supposed to happen?  If so, this sounds like he's lumping Australia with Asia, so it may be good news for DT fans down under.

Please. Very very please. I don’t want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I’m alive!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: December 23, 2022, 12:21:13 AM »
A bit worried about what is happening to the Stockolm concert on thee 6th of February.
The promotor TADC has filed for bancruptcy a while ago and all concerts for 2022 were cancelled

They were looking into solving the 2023 concerts somehow but still no word on how that goes.

I would like to think that the fact that tickets are still sold is a good sign....

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: December 23, 2022, 04:51:41 AM »
So..... I just got a mail that FKP Scorpio will arrange the concert in Stockholm instead of TADC..... great news

On another note. We also got to know the support (at lrast for Stockholm) will be finnish band Arion.

Offline JohnR

« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2022, 12:07:13 AM »
Damn. ATC and SG are hinted at, yet I'd enjoy Transcending time the most.

By the way, do we have anyone from Naples to keep us up to date on the set list during the first night?

They will start in Tel Aviv (my hometown). I’ll update post show :)

Is there a website in English where I can book tickets to Tel Aviv?

Offline dodido253

« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2022, 01:33:52 AM »
Damn. ATC and SG are hinted at, yet I'd enjoy Transcending time the most.

By the way, do we have anyone from Naples to keep us up to date on the set list during the first night?

They will start in Tel Aviv (my hometown). I’ll update post show :)

Is there a website in English where I can book tickets to Tel Aviv?

I'm not aware of any English website. You can use this link with google translate (the funnel for purchasing a ticket is quite simple):
https://www.kupat.co.il/he-IL/events/dream%20theater/2023-1-14_22.00/האנגר%2011%20-%20תל%20אביב?hallmap

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2022, 12:31:27 PM »
I mostly love that hypothetical set list.  But I have no idea why on earth anyone would add Hollow Years to a set list.  That would just make me angry and not even want to go to the show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2022, 12:45:12 PM »
  But I have no idea why on earth anyone would add Hollow Years to a set list.  That would just make me angry and not even want to go to the show.

Sure, but they could play the Budokan version of it and all would be right with the world.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #228 on: December 31, 2022, 12:55:12 PM »
No.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #229 on: December 31, 2022, 01:17:22 PM »
I mostly love that hypothetical set list.  But I have no idea why on earth anyone would add Hollow Years to a set list.  That would just make me angry and not even want to go to the show.

That's just my hopeful wish that I would get to see it one day. I also actually think it'd be a good transition from Transcending Time.

I was going to put Chosen there instead.  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #230 on: December 31, 2022, 01:21:02 PM »

That's just my hopeful wish that I would get to see it one day. I also actually think it'd be a good transition from Transcending Time.

I guess I can respect that and suppress my gag reflex for the benefit of folks that like it and have never seen it.

And I would be perfectly fine with Chosen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2022, 01:24:29 PM »

Speaking of gag reflex...

Offline Trav86

« Reply #232 on: December 31, 2022, 01:29:00 PM »

Because it’s a great song. And if they play it live next year, it’ll win you over!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #233 on: December 31, 2022, 01:30:27 PM »
I've seen it live more than once, and have seen/hard the L@B version.  That only cemented it as a bottom 5 DT song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: January 01, 2023, 04:22:18 AM »

I guess I can respect that and suppress my gag reflex for the benefit of folks that like it and have never seen it.

I actually had to google the song Chosen.  I figured it must have been an Astonishing song.  They can just not play anything from that album and they are off to a good start.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #235 on: January 01, 2023, 08:46:13 AM »

Hollow Years is fantastic - one of my favorites from FII and I even got to see them preform the demo version live (which I don't care for as much). I would be totally down to see that one live again.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #236 on: January 01, 2023, 10:02:10 AM »
i'd prefer Disappear to be added to the setlist

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #237 on: January 01, 2023, 10:06:48 AM »

I 100% would love this.

On another note.  When do you think the US leg of the tour will be announced?

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #238 on: January 01, 2023, 11:09:13 AM »
I hope they add an old pearl from Myung's pen to the setlist, Learning to Live or Lifting Shadows Off a Dream. If The Count of Tuscany is getting replaced, then to my honest opinion that could only be by Octavarium or Illumination Theory. Both would be a fantastic choice.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #239 on: January 01, 2023, 11:20:34 AM »

I would be astonished if they played that one. I would also likely cry because of how much I enjoy this songs lyrics.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #240 on: January 01, 2023, 12:19:59 PM »

I 100% would love this.

On another note.  When do you think the US leg of the tour will be announced?
That's what I'm waiting for, and hopefully there will be a date in the Pacific Northwest.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #241 on: January 01, 2023, 07:33:07 PM »
If The Count of Tuscany is getting replaced, then to my honest opinion that could only be by Octavarium or Illumination Theory. Both would be a fantastic choice.

Unfortunately, I’m not so sure the band would share that belief.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2023, 12:17:14 PM »
I’m very surprised Panic Attack has not been a part of any major tour the last 10+ years (besides the 2015 festivals obviously). It’s consistently in the top 5 streamed songs on Spotify (currently #2) with more than double the plays of As I Am, solid length, great heavy concert song, and seems relatively easy for the band to play (especially JLB). It sounds great on the Wacken LNG album. And as far as I can recall, they’ve still only played 2/8 songs off of 8VM (globally) with Mangini so far. I’d love to see it make an appearance soon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2023, 12:32:18 PM »
I’m very surprised Panic Attack has not been a part of any major tour the last 10+ years (besides the 2015 festivals obviously). It’s consistently in the top 5 streamed songs on Spotify (currently #2) with more than double the plays of As I Am, solid length, great heavy concert song, and seems relatively easy for the band to play (especially JLB). It sounds great on the Wacken LNG album. And as far as I can recall, they’ve still only played 2/8 songs off of 8VM (globally) with Mangini so far. I’d love to see it make an appearance soon.

I didn't realize it was that popular on spotify. (I don't use the app)  I would have never considered it a "top DT hit" although I admit, it was one of the first songs to really capture my interest in DT.  (Octavarium was their newest release when I discovered them).

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2023, 04:09:33 PM »

I didn't realize it was that popular on spotify. (I don't use the app)  I would have never considered it a "top DT hit" although I admit, it was one of the first songs to really capture my interest in DT.  (Octavarium was their newest release when I discovered them).

It was in Rock Band 2 as one of the hardest songs in the game. As a challenging song in a rhythm game during the peak of those types of games’ popularity, it gained some attention. That’s how I discovered the band actually.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask