Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33618 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X
« Reply #630 on: July 27, 2023, 09:33:39 PM »
making the rounds... :D

[Snip - Rule 1 still applies]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 01:04:45 AM by XJDenton »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: July 27, 2023, 11:47:56 PM »
I wonder what he'll do with [Snip - Rule 1]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 04:55:08 AM by XJDenton »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #632 on: July 28, 2023, 01:50:57 AM »
Twitter has too many addicts that need the site for this to really impact the site negatively, but I think the X sounds and looks terrible. For me, I haven't used it outside looking at some tweets. Can't read comments anymore, but all is well, as it basically helps me cutting a (to me) timewasting habit.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #633 on: July 28, 2023, 04:55:29 AM »
A gentle reminder to everyone that rule 1 still applies.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: July 28, 2023, 07:33:57 AM »
And now the app has been rebranded. Stupid. Doesn't look good.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #635 on: July 31, 2023, 12:09:41 PM »
X rebranding is supposedly complete - but the app is still called Twitter on the Apple App Store.  Apple has a rule that prohibits one-character apps.   :tup Elon.

Also, the new massive physical signage of the X logo on the roof of Twitter HQ was constructed/built without a permit.  City of San Fran is investigating.   :tup :tup Elon.

Also, jingle.son told me last week that the font used for the new logo is open sourced, so he can't trademark it.  Anyone can start merchandising that logo apparently.   :tup :tup :tup Elon.

Like, is he a stupid guy who pretends to be smart, or a smart guy who pretends to be stupid.  I'm truly baffled.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #636 on: July 31, 2023, 02:28:31 PM »
X rebranding is supposedly complete - but the app is still called Twitter on the Apple App Store.  Apple has a rule that prohibits one-character apps.   :tup Elon.

Also, the new massive physical signage of the X logo on the roof of Twitter HQ was constructed/built without a permit.  City of San Fran is investigating.   :tup :tup Elon.

Also, jingle.son told me last week that the font used for the new logo is open sourced, so he can't trademark it.  Anyone can start merchandising that logo apparently.   :tup :tup :tup Elon.

Like, is he a stupid guy who pretends to be smart, or a smart guy who pretends to be stupid.  I'm truly baffled.

Look, it's fun to bag on him because that's the way we are these days, but not ALL of that is on him, and in fact probably not most of it.   MAYBE the first one, I don't know (but I didn't know the Apple store had that rule), DEFINITELY not the second one (just by coincidence, when I was Counsel for GE, I was actually dual report with the group that WOULD have been responsible for that work) and PROBABLY not the third one.

And not so much you, personally, but I'd think that all the anti-corporate folks - you know, the "BIG Whatever Industry" folks - would celebrate that he wasn't trying to lock out all comers with the logo and trademarks.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: July 31, 2023, 02:42:31 PM »
While I can see Elon himself not knowing the rule, I'd be shocked if he wasn't consulted as I have to imagine someone at Twitter understands the rules of the Apple store. But who knows, that person may not be working there anymore who would have known that.

I personally think it's more of his ego being super inflated lately that is the root issue a lot of these gaffs.

And as much as I recently stated I was starting to think of leaving, here I still am actively using X.  I just can't get those interactions anywhere else.  Like Night Ranger retweeted (re-xed?) my video highlights recently, how cool is that.  It can't be replicated on facebook/instagram/tiktok.  (maybe threads? but I won't be signing up for that anytime soon)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: July 31, 2023, 02:44:44 PM »
While I can see Elon himself not knowing the rule, I'd be shocked if he wasn't consulted as I have to imagine someone at Twitter understands the rules of the Apple store. But who knows, that person may not be working there anymore who would have known that.

I personally think it's more of his ego being super inflated lately that is the root issue a lot of these gaffs.

And as much as I recently stated I was starting to think of leaving, here I still am actively using X.  I just can't get those interactions anywhere else.  Like Night Ranger retweeted (re-xed?) my video highlights recently, how cool is that.  It can't be replicated on facebook/instagram/tiktok.  (maybe threads? but I won't be signing up for that anytime soon)

Did you just see Night Ranger?  They are an extremely underrated band live. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #639 on: July 31, 2023, 02:58:53 PM »

Actually I'd say they were one of the worst shows I ever saw...completely bland especially following Eddie Money.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #640 on: July 31, 2023, 03:05:45 PM »
The change just happened to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: July 31, 2023, 03:06:40 PM »

Actually I'd say they were one of the worst shows I ever saw...completely bland especially following Eddie Money.

Yeah, saw them for the first time a couple weeks ago.  Thought they were good, and Eddie Trunk was there to introduce them as they are "real live music".  Honestly, though, I thought Jefferson Starship who were before them were better, song wise at least.  Night Ranger has all the guitar chops, but not all the songs connected with me the way I felt Jefferson Starship did. (and they both were before Bret Michaels who headlined).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #642 on: July 31, 2023, 03:09:52 PM »
Cram, you must really like going to concerts to see that smorgasbord of shit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: July 31, 2023, 03:12:40 PM »
Nah, I enjoyed Night Ranger. Weird for a short set to play 2 Damn Yankees tunes, though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #644 on: July 31, 2023, 03:14:50 PM »
Nah, I enjoyed Night Ranger. Weird for a short set to play 2 Damn Yankees tunes, though.
Because as overrated as Damn Yankees was, it's still better than Night Ranger.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: July 31, 2023, 03:17:56 PM »
Because as overrated as Damn Yankees was, it's still better than Night Ranger.

Nah.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: July 31, 2023, 03:34:03 PM »

Look, it's fun to bag on him because that's the way we are these days, but not ALL of that is on him, and in fact probably not most of it.   MAYBE the first one, I don't know (but I didn't know the Apple store had that rule), DEFINITELY not the second one (just by coincidence, when I was Counsel for GE, I was actually dual report with the group that WOULD have been responsible for that work) and PROBABLY not the third one.

And not so much you, personally, but I'd think that all the anti-corporate folks - you know, the "BIG Whatever Industry" folks - would celebrate that he wasn't trying to lock out all comers with the logo and trademarks.

For as much as Musk has positioned himself over the last X number of months as "the guy" that is steering the ship, yes, the blunders also deserve to get tied around his neck - whether he was actively or directly involved in the issue or not.  If he fancies himself as parade master, when it goes off the rails, he "owns" it.

And do you honestly think for 1 second he chose an open source font to not "lock out all comers with logos and trademarks"?  Why must you be so contrarian that you seemingly seem obtuse?  Musk is such an attention whore that if that was his intent, he'd have shouted it from the rooftops - right beside his illegally built logo.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #647 on: July 31, 2023, 06:50:56 PM »
If X goes down because of strategic blunders (like rebranding itself to X and throwing away years of goodwill in the Twitter name) then that is 100% Musk given his ownership. If it turns out that he overpaid/got the valuation way wrong and now can't pay the debt he took out to finance the purchase, that is 100% him.

Example of something that would not be the new owner's fault: a lightning strike or earthquake demolishes HQ and the company cannot operate any longer

If X gets turned around and becomes a 4x better business, he'll get all the credit. If it goes bankrupt there is next to no scenario in which it is not predominately his fault.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: August 01, 2023, 06:35:34 AM »
Unapologetically LOVE Night Ranger.   I do agree about the sets though; they only play about an hour and a half - even when headlining - and they do two Damn Yankees songs and then there are little snippets of covers (Brad will sometimes start off an Ozzy song; they will sometimes do a snippet of an Alice Cooper song for Kerry Kelli or whatever his name is). 

I just think they're fun.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: August 01, 2023, 08:15:38 AM »
Cram, you must really like going to concerts to see that smorgasbord of shit.

smorgasbord isn't a bad way to describe the concerts I attend (Snoop Dogg tomorrow  :lol) but shit? well, for the most part, I'll disagree.  Night Ranger were solid.  Definitely worth the 0$ I paid to attend.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: August 01, 2023, 08:49:25 AM »

For as much as Musk has positioned himself over the last X number of months as "the guy" that is steering the ship, yes, the blunders also deserve to get tied around his neck - whether he was actively or directly involved in the issue or not.  If he fancies himself as parade master, when it goes off the rails, he "owns" it.

That's fine; just as long as we own that this isn't a reflection of reality, it's a reflection of our view of some vague "moral" justice, vengeance for behavior we don't like.  The problem with that is, you have to KNOW the rules before you can BREAK the rules, and most people don't understand how companies (or governments) actually work.  In other words, I think there really ARE people that think he sat there and did all this himself (and fucked it up).

And do you honestly think for 1 second he chose an open source font to not "lock out all comers with logos and trademarks"?  Why must you be so contrarian that you seemingly seem obtuse?  Musk is such an attention whore that if that was his intent, he'd have shouted it from the rooftops - right beside his illegally built logo.   :lol

It's not being obtuse or contrarian. It's being open-minded and tolerant that not everything is either sheer genius or profound buffoonery that fits nicely into our narrative of heroes and villains.   You weren't in the room.  You weren't there.  That you hate this guy, or think he's a massive tool, whatever, my version isn't "contrarian", it's just as valid (and in fact, maybe MORE valid given how most companies work) than yours, it just doesn't fit nicely into the cartoon narrative that many have adopted for Musk.   

Maybe instead of pounding on me, we ought to look in the mirror and ask why we're so hungry, so thirsty for these high profile people to be so absolutely evil and bad and stupid that we can't even consider that maybe there's a shade of grey in there.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #651 on: August 01, 2023, 09:13:54 AM »

It's weird...except for the fact that Jack Blades is immensely proud of those songs (as he should be), and with Ted Nugent and Styx not playing them, he wants them to continue to be out there, and I don't blame him. Everyone remembers them, and they are crowd pleasers. I've seen Night Ranger 2x. Once was a casino-club show, and they did two. The next was opening for Styx at a casino outdoor amphitheater and Tommy Shaw came out and they did "High Enough." (That was four years ago, and the only DY song that Night Ranger did that evening.) Here's the vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvAu802z6cg (vid was tough to take, so apologies if it makes you seasick. people were swaying all around me - lol)

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: August 01, 2023, 09:26:40 AM »
This was the setlist last time I saw them:

Touch of Madness
Four in the Morning
Sing Me Away
Coming of Age (Damn Yankees cover)
Somehow Someway
Sweet Child o' Mine (Guns N’ Roses cover)
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (Journey cover)
Hey Jude (The Beatles cover)
The Secret of My Success
Sentimental Street
School's Out (Alice Cooper cover)
Crazy Train (Ozzy Osbourne cover)
High Enough (Damn Yankees cover)
Goodbye
When You Close Your Eyes
Don't Tell Me You Love Me
Sister Christian
(You Can Still) Rock in America

The only covers played complete were the Damn Yankees songs; the first three were snippets (and if memory serves, just vocal, though I won't die on that hill) and the second two (Alice and Ozzy) were part of the introduction/solo spot for Brad and Kelli.

It was a great show.  The only annoying part - and it was minor - was Jack playing like it was all off the cuff improv when the setlist is exactly the same night after night.  Don't say "you know, you're a special audience, fuck it, we're going to try to play Crazy Train for you as a treat!" when you've done it for the past 100 dates.  :) :) :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: August 01, 2023, 09:45:24 AM »
The problem with that is, you have to KNOW the rules before you can BREAK the rules, and most people don't understand how companies (or governments) actually work.  In other words, I think there really ARE people that think he sat there and did all this himself (and fucked it up).

I'm not sure I understand the first point - one can absolutely break the rules without knowing them.  And secondly, I don't think that, but he is ultimately the one that deserves to be held accountable ... being the owner and all.  I'd chastise the individual that gave the go-ahead to build the big X, but at some point, the decision to do that came from Musk.

It's not being obtuse or contrarian. It's being open-minded and tolerant that not everything is either sheer genius or profound buffoonery that fits nicely into our narrative of heroes and villains.   You weren't in the room.  You weren't there.  That you hate this guy, or think he's a massive tool, whatever, my version isn't "contrarian", it's just as valid (and in fact, maybe MORE valid given how most companies work) than yours, it just doesn't fit nicely into the cartoon narrative that many have adopted for Musk.

First, neither of us were in the room, so you don't know what his intent or purpose was in choosing an open-source logo. I made no more assumptions than you did. Second, you choose to use the baseline of "given how most big companies work" (though, I would disagree that most big companies operate with the level of benevolence as your comment suggests ie, allowing the market to monetize the use of their company logo); I use the baseline of Musk's history of very strange decision making and actions of how he has run Twitter/X.

Maybe instead of pounding on me, we ought to look in the mirror and ask why we're so hungry, so thirsty for these high profile people to be so absolutely evil and bad and stupid that we can't even consider that maybe there's a shade of grey in there.

Wasn't really pounding on you anymore than you were pounding on me.   :biggrin:

There could very well be a shade of grey, but I don't know.  I was only pointing out actions and consequences/outcomes.

A) App store - he wants to rebrand as X, but can't rebrand that way with a very integral business partner.  Doesn't seem like a wise business move.
B) You'd think any company would have their facilities people know the bylaws of the city their HQ resides in.  Now there's a potential consequence of penalties being issued against the company.  Doesn't seem like a wise business move.
C) I'm curious how many other multi-billion dollar publicly held companies haven't trademarked their logo or company name.  Doesn't seem like a wise business move.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #654 on: August 01, 2023, 10:43:23 AM »
Not sure if anyone saw, but the giant X was dismantled yesterday. The company's statement is it was for a brief event or something.

Right.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: August 01, 2023, 10:51:49 AM »
Not sure if anyone saw, but the giant X was dismantled yesterday. The company's statement is it was for a brief event or something.

Right.

The event was public criticism  :lol

Some things like that I just laugh at and don't put too much stock into.  I'm pretty sure most companies have had blunders with local building code.

The thing about X and the Apple store however is a significant core business decision that is baffling.  Unless they have some deal with Apple in the works, it's actually a bit of a disaster to not be able to rebrand the app on Apple phones.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: August 01, 2023, 11:16:57 AM »

It's weird...except for the fact that Jack Blades is immensely proud of those songs (as he should be), and with Ted Nugent and Styx not playing them, he wants them to continue to be out there, and I don't blame him. Everyone remembers them, and they are crowd pleasers. I've seen Night Ranger 2x. Once was a casino-club show, and they did two. The next was opening for Styx at a casino outdoor amphitheater and Tommy Shaw came out and they did "High Enough." (That was four years ago, and the only DY song that Night Ranger did that evening.) Here's the vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvAu802z6cg (vid was tough to take, so apologies if it makes you seasick. people were swaying all around me - lol)

I get that.  I like Damn Yankees.  It's just that they have a big catalog to pull from and in a short 8 song setlist, you could cut those 2 songs and add some big hit's that they had.  I enjoyed the 2 Damn Yankees songs they played, I just would of rather hear their songs.

Online HOF

« Reply #657 on: August 01, 2023, 11:38:46 AM »
I went and saw Eddie Money and Loverboy at the state fair, over 15 years ago now. It only cost whatever it cost to get into the fair (probably less than $10), but it was not worth the potential hearing loss I’ll tell you that. And I like Eddie Money.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: August 01, 2023, 12:37:13 PM »
First, neither of us were in the room, so you don't know what his intent or purpose was in choosing an open-source logo. I made no more assumptions than you did. Second, you choose to use the baseline of "given how most big companies work" (though, I would disagree that most big companies operate with the level of benevolence as your comment suggests ie, allowing the market to monetize the use of their company logo); I use the baseline of Musk's history of very strange decision making and actions of how he has run Twitter/X.

Well, I point this out not to argue with you, but because it happens to me more often than not, so it's with saying again:  You're arguing it's HIS fault.  That's an assumption. You're using his past record ASSUMING future decisions will be made the same way.   I'm saying "you have no idea whose fault it is".  I'm steadfastly refusing to make ANY assumption.  It COULD be his, it could not be.  You're right; not many companies do put their intellectual property out there for everyone to use, but this is San Francisco, and this is tech, so who knows what those hippies are doing.  Again, I'm not going to assume.   :) :)

Wasn't really pounding on you anymore than you were pounding on me.   :biggrin:[/quote]

Well I'm glad you are grinning; it was meant far more tongue in cheek that it came across after second reading!!! :) :) :) :)

There could very well be a shade of grey, but I don't know.  I was only pointing out actions and consequences/outcomes.

A) App store - he wants to rebrand as X, but can't rebrand that way with a very integral business partner.  Doesn't seem like a wise business move.
B) You'd think any company would have their facilities people know the bylaws of the city their HQ resides in.  Now there's a potential consequence of penalties being issued against the company.  Doesn't seem like a wise business move.
C) I'm curious how many other multi-billion dollar publicly held companies haven't trademarked their logo or company name.  Doesn't seem like a wise business move.

None of it is wise; don't get me wrong.  If I was Musk, someone would be fired.  Not because I'm a whacko making insane business decisions, but because you (the employee) have one job:  I tell you "brand", you make it happen.  If you can't, I'll get someone that will.   Again, don't misunderstand me; that "X" on the building is a major mistake; I just don't think it's his personally.  If I made that level mistake while at GE, I would expect to be let go, or at least be kept on a very short leash.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #659 on: August 01, 2023, 01:28:23 PM »
I absolutely think all of this falls at the personal feet of Musk himself.  He has gone to great lengths to make sure that the employees still employed there are devotees of his "my way or the highway" stance.  He bought Twitter and signed off on all the decisions that people bitch about. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JLa

« Reply #660 on: August 01, 2023, 01:50:19 PM »
There's so much to this rebrand that doesn't make any sense. Twitter is a strong enough brand name that the common term for using the service became a verb in everyday language. You don't just throw something like that away for an X?!

I wasn't aware of the Apple store restrictions, but you would assume a large company would have checked something like that, before changing their name? Apparently not.

The platform URL still is Twitter.com. The button for posting still says "Tweet". If you look at the pages for terms and conditions etc, it's all Twitter.

It's all so incredibly half-baked.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #661 on: August 01, 2023, 01:56:12 PM »
Lead singer for BAND-MAID Saiki tweeted that she doesn't recognize her feed anymore... If Elon fucks up my primary lifeline to communication with my beloved J-metal musicians, I'll fucking kneecap him myself.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: August 01, 2023, 02:18:02 PM »
I'm steadfastly refusing to make ANY assumption.  It COULD be his, it could not be.  You're right; not many companies do put their intellectual property out there for everyone to use, but this is San Francisco, and this is tech, so who knows what those hippies are doing.  Again, I'm not going to assume.   :) :)

Well, I have an BA. Economics ... My field relies on assumptions!  :lol

I absolutely think all of this falls at the personal feet of Musk himself.  He has gone to great lengths to make sure that the employees still employed there are devotees of his "my way or the highway" stance.  He bought Twitter and signed off on all the decisions that people bitch about.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: August 01, 2023, 02:20:08 PM »
There's so much to this rebrand that doesn't make any sense. Twitter is a strong enough brand name that the common term for using the service became a verb in everyday language. You don't just throw something like that away for an X?!

I honestly wonder if their accounting auditor will suggest (require?) a Goodwill write down at some point.  Maybe that's part of his plan - I'm not versed well enough on their accounting situation to know if that's a net benefit or detriment to the company financially.

Lead singer for BAND-MAID Saiki tweeted that she doesn't recognize her feed anymore... If Elon fucks up my primary lifeline to communication with my beloved J-metal musicians, I'll fucking kneecap him myself.

:lol :lol

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #664 on: August 01, 2023, 02:27:57 PM »

...fuck. Serve him up.