Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33628 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: The downfall of Twitter
« Reply #560 on: April 25, 2023, 09:12:47 AM »
I'm reading this, and you are, of course, factually correct.   But I'm also reading this and thinking - since I'm not a fan of social media AT ALL, and think at best it's only neutral on a value scale - this IS social media. Social media IS all about having "some kind of status".  You're focusing on the positive aspects, but maybe not Stephen King, but people who are famous for being famous - who count their "likes" - the blue check IS status.   Twitter, except for the most basic of information regarding concert dates and the like, ISN'T trustworthy.   Don't try to tell me that the "Paid Democratic Operatives" and the "MAGA Russian Bots" are furthering any discourse in America at this time.  They are not.

Regardless of whether the information itself is "trustworthy" (and to dismiss all information on Twitter as unreliable is IMO just as fallacious as accepting all information as true uncritically), I could at least be ensured in the past that that an account calling itself BBC News with a blue check was in fact BBC News, or that a bloke with a blue tick with the title "Middle East correspondent for Deutsche Welle" does in fact hold that position, rather than them being some crypto bell-end in Russia putting out fake press releases to grift people.

By an large, the people who got blue ticks weren't people who were "famous for being famous". If they were, I would hold a greater degree of agreement with you.

We can debate whether this is short-sighted or not, and I understand the argument as to why it is, but I reckon that, like El Barto has pointed out a couple times now, Musk is doing this in real time.  He's got better data than you, me or Xe has, by a long shot.

He's also demonstrated that he is capable of extremely bad judgement and can be driven by ego and "memes" rather than data when he prefers.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 09:23:32 AM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #561 on: April 25, 2023, 09:13:58 AM »
By an large, the people who got blue ticks weren't people who were "famous for being famous".
Right.  Most of those people make their home on Instagram.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #562 on: June 30, 2023, 08:50:24 AM »
So, I have never created a twitter account, but every so often to check the page for some of the artists I'm interested in just to see if they have any updates. Well, turns out I cannot do that anymore, because unless I'm logged into an account, any twitter link redirects you to a log in/sign up page  :tdwn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #563 on: June 30, 2023, 02:30:06 PM »
So, I have never created a twitter account, but every so often to check the page for some of the artists I'm interested in just to see if they have any updates. Well, turns out I cannot do that anymore, because unless I'm logged into an account, any twitter link redirects you to a log in/sign up page  :tdwn

I saw this post this morning, and you're right. WTF? I usually check out the twitters of some of the hockey writers, which would come in handy tomorrow as Free Agency begins.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #564 on: June 30, 2023, 02:45:23 PM »
You would have to create burner accounts on Twitter using those 10 min. email thingamabob if you really want to look at Twitter posts, but not partake in it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #565 on: June 30, 2023, 02:47:55 PM »
You would have to create burner accounts on Twitter using those 10 min. email thingamabob if you really want to look at Twitter posts, but not partake in it.

Yeah, nah, I'm good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #566 on: June 30, 2023, 04:04:58 PM »

Yeah I have a throwaway email I use for all my socials and whatever sites just ask for them (including DTF lol)... occasionally I check the inbox because things like Fandango and Livenation are tied to it and I sometimes need tix or whatever, and that inbox looks like the opening scene of Wall-E  :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #567 on: July 01, 2023, 05:40:32 AM »
I saw this post this morning, and you're right. WTF? I usually check out the twitters of some of the hockey writers, which would come in handy tomorrow as Free Agency begins.

Apparently Elon implemented it to stop orgs scraping the data.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: July 01, 2023, 01:11:04 PM »

Apparently Elon implemented it to stop orgs scraping the data.

and a post view limit? wtf this new change is getting ripped on twitter right now

Online HOF

« Reply #569 on: July 01, 2023, 01:31:16 PM »
Yep, this is going to push most of us elsewhere. I’d give it a half a day until he reversed this policy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2023/07/01/elon-musk-twitter-tweet-reading-limits/70375995007/

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #570 on: July 01, 2023, 10:34:45 PM »
There's word that Muskrat's post about limits is a ruse. They apparently created a DDOS on themselves when they implemented that new policy. Someone posted the reciepts out there showing the kind of traffic he was creating towards Twitter when trying to access a post while not logged in. It's pretty hilarious.

https://www.dexerto.com/tech/twitter-users-claim-elon-musks-recent-changes-may-be-self-ddosing-the-platform-2196413/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #571 on: July 02, 2023, 08:15:15 AM »
I've also seen reports that this might be tied to them not paying Google their cloud services bill. Given how much money the site seems to be haemorrhaging atm, could well be plausible.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: July 02, 2023, 09:37:55 AM »
Maybe Elon is taking a note from the school of Trump and just not paying bills

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #573 on: July 06, 2023, 05:06:29 PM »
Elon is threatening to sue Zuck over Threads... This will be interesting.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #574 on: July 06, 2023, 05:31:52 PM »
I think my life is better not knowing the nonsense between 2 rich assholes.  :lol

I have other stupid stuff to argue about online.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #575 on: July 06, 2023, 05:40:22 PM »

I thought these guys agreed that they were going to fight each other somewhere.  Can they just rent a barn out in the middle of nowhere and they can just beat the crap out of each other and then make peace?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #576 on: July 06, 2023, 06:18:18 PM »

I thought these guys agreed that they were going to fight each other somewhere.  Can they just rent a barn out in the middle of nowhere and they can just beat the crap out of each other and then make peace?

They were supposed to and then Elon's mom wouldn't sign his permission slip  :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #577 on: July 07, 2023, 03:46:44 AM »

::)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #578 on: July 07, 2023, 04:53:07 AM »
I think my life is better not knowing the nonsense between 2 rich assholes being being on twitter

Fix'd for me
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #579 on: July 07, 2023, 05:35:52 AM »
Lol

It's weird that people just can't scroll on by anymore. People have lost the ability to do that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #580 on: July 07, 2023, 05:51:41 AM »
Musk's eccentricity aside, the minute you start criticizing your boss and/or place of employment on social media (not to mention the social media for whom you work!!), you are asking to get fired.  I never feel sorry for anyone in those scenarios.  Play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #581 on: July 07, 2023, 07:41:23 AM »
Musk's eccentricity aside, the minute you start criticizing your boss and/or place of employment on social media (not to mention the social media for whom you work!!), you are asking to get fired.  I never feel sorry for anyone in those scenarios.  Play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Related, but not, but sort of... I clicked on one of those "click bait" sites for "10 best interview fails" or something like that, and every single one was some one bragging about how they went into an interview and "handed it" to the interviewer, smart-mouthing back to questions they felt were stupid, criticizing them for not offering water or coffee...

I get wanting to see if a company is a good fit.   I get that an interview is a two-way street of sorts.  I get that most people don't have the first f------g clue on how to interview someone.  But not everything is a battle, not everything needs to be reduced to a twitter validation or affirmation.  My goodness; I've been arguing that people are insecure for some time now, but are they THAT insecure that that have to feel like they're getting one over on someone that is actively trying to HELP them (by potentially giving them a job)?   We're bordering on pathetic now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #582 on: July 07, 2023, 12:25:07 PM »

Related, but not, but sort of... I clicked on one of those "click bait" sites for "10 best interview fails" or something like that, and every single one was some one bragging about how they went into an interview and "handed it" to the interviewer, smart-mouthing back to questions they felt were stupid, criticizing them for not offering water or coffee...

I get wanting to see if a company is a good fit.   I get that an interview is a two-way street of sorts.  I get that most people don't have the first f------g clue on how to interview someone.  But not everything is a battle, not everything needs to be reduced to a twitter validation or affirmation.  My goodness; I've been arguing that people are insecure for some time now, but are they THAT insecure that that have to feel like they're getting one over on someone that is actively trying to HELP them (by potentially giving them a job)?   We're bordering on pathetic now.

I cannot remember where I read it (it might have been here :lol), but I recall the blurb about someone doing a facetime interview and then getting upset and offended when they were asked to come into the office to do an in-person interview. :facepalm: :facepalm:  Probably one of those "I am awesome, and you should just take my word for it and hire me immediately" people who are becoming more and more common.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #583 on: July 07, 2023, 03:26:35 PM »

I cannot remember where I read it (it might have been here :lol), but I recall the blurb about someone doing a facetime interview and then getting upset and offended when they were asked to come into the office to do an in-person interview. :facepalm: :facepalm:  Probably one of those "I am awesome, and you should just take my word for it and hire me immediately" people who are becoming more and more common.

That's why I love kitchens and how we do 'Stages' (try outs), can find out in a 4 hour shift for sure if someone knows what the fuck they're doing

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #584 on: July 07, 2023, 04:58:48 PM »

That's why I love kitchens and how we do 'Stages' (try outs), can find out in a 4 hour shift for sure if someone knows what the fuck they're doing

In college, I interviewed for a management position with Taco Bell, and they had me come out and do a "Realistic". It was like 2 or 3 hours. After the first hour, I was literally the best worker they had on that shift. :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #585 on: July 07, 2023, 07:15:48 PM »

In college, I interviewed for a management position with Taco Bell, and they had me come out and do a "Realistic". It was like 2 or 3 hours. After the first hour, I was literally the best worker they had on that shift. :lol

For general linecooks, we just have them work part of or a whole shift, you can easily tell if they're up to snuff or not in that amount of time. At my level, it usually involves a full tasting. My last gig I had to do a salad, an entree, a fish entree, a passed app and a plated app. Then basically the whole hotel management team came and critiqued it, it's hella nervewraking. My current gig the boss already knew my skills so I just did a day in the kitchen more to see if I was interested in their operation, that's the difference between applying and being pursued in my business.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #586 on: July 07, 2023, 07:17:01 PM »

For general linecooks, we just have them work part of or a whole shift, you can easily tell if they're up to snuff or not in that amount of time. At my level, it usually involves a full tasting. My last gig I had to do a salad, an entree, a fish entree, a passed app and a plated app. Then basically the whole hotel management team came and critiqued it, it's hella nervewraking. My current gig the boss already knew my skills so I just did a day in the kitchen more to see if I was interested in their operation, that's the difference between applying and being pursued in my business.

That's all very interesting.  :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: July 08, 2023, 07:37:05 AM »

Yea it really is! How many kitchen staff do you work alongside?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #588 on: July 08, 2023, 09:57:23 AM »

Yea it really is! How many kitchen staff do you work alongside?

Just 3 of us... My current account is very small, a top tier law firm with their own private bistro, I serve around 40 people a day.

My company has much larger accounts though, including Facebook, Lyft, and Marvell, all of which have brigades of up to 100 people.

I'll take my tiny kitchen though, love the hands on feel of it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: July 13, 2023, 05:09:27 AM »
I just deactivated my Twitter account. Feels good, although I never really used it much honestly.

So a heads up for those few of you DTFers who follows me there. Whenever Threads become availabile in the EU/Sweden I'll check it out.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #590 on: July 13, 2023, 06:42:22 AM »
I just deactivated my Twitter account. Feels good, although I never really used it much honestly.

So a heads up for those few of you DTFers who follows me there. Whenever Threads become availabile in the EU/Sweden I'll check it out.

Would if I could... it's amazing how invested the Japanese musicians still are on that platform. They're slowly migrating to IG, so hopefully one day I can ditch it as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: July 13, 2023, 08:06:14 AM »
I won't be using threads.  It seems you can't delete your account there unless you delete your instagram account.

It's weird because for awhile I was anti-facebook mostly because I don't like Mark Zuckerburg.  So I got big into using twitter instead.  Of course now it's owned by Elon and it's like well, I don't want to support him either, but I certainly don't want to support Zuckerburg still too. 

I guess the option is to not use it at all, but I enjoy it still.  I have a lot of fun tweeting and interacting with others over there.  It is what it is I guess, but I'm not doubling down on Threads. 

I'm also not buying into the hype of the millions of installs last week.  Let's see how it plays out in the long run vs. initial installs because they already had a huge base of people to pull from making that stat a bit less impressive for me.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #592 on: July 13, 2023, 08:07:54 AM »
Meta and anything Meta-related is a non-started for me. So no Threads.
I'll stay on the sinking Twitter ship, or maybe check out BlueSky if that sticks.

Online HOF

« Reply #593 on: July 14, 2023, 11:07:58 PM »
I think the tweet limit has been quietly lifted (and was apparently something to do with Elon not paying his hosting bill or something like that). I haven't had any issues since the first weekend it was announced. Also, Threads from what I've heard is pointless and will likely disappear in a few weeks/months.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #594 on: July 23, 2023, 04:50:06 PM »
so are they for real with this « X » business? Seems too stupid but here we are https://www.axios.com/2023/07/23/twitter-x-logo-elon-musk