Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33434 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The downfall of Twitter
« Reply #490 on: December 20, 2022, 11:24:24 AM »
And also very much not a topic for P/R. I moved the discussion with regards to recuperation to a new thread.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57987.0

Stads, I will reply over there at some point.

I can't wait till Musk buys DTF and exposes how you've suppressed our free speech here.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #491 on: December 20, 2022, 11:31:37 AM »
And also very much not a topic for P/R. I moved the discussion with regards to recuperation to a new thread.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57987.0

Stads, I will reply over there at some point.

I can't wait till Musk buys DTF and exposes how you've suppressed our free speech here.

HAHA

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #492 on: December 20, 2022, 11:45:27 AM »
 :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #493 on: December 20, 2022, 11:46:54 AM »
Your speech would be freer if you could learn to keep your damned mouths shut once in a while. :P
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: December 20, 2022, 11:48:45 AM »
DTF should implement the 8$ a month blue check mark

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #495 on: December 20, 2022, 11:51:48 AM »

You mean the green stars?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: December 20, 2022, 11:53:35 AM »

That's a one time donation! I need my blue check mark so my posts are above others and my speech won't be censored by XJ  :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #497 on: December 20, 2022, 11:53:49 AM »
DTF.org Alumni - They may or may not be notable.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #498 on: December 20, 2022, 11:56:05 AM »

That's a one time donation! I need my blue check mark so my posts are above others and my speech won't be censored by XJ  :lol

Oh, you mean the purple stars the VIPs get.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: December 23, 2022, 05:52:56 AM »
So I've just signed up for Post.News. It's supposed to be the next thing after Twitter. We'll see how it turns out...

https://post.news/hakaneinarsson
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: December 23, 2022, 06:52:07 AM »
So I've just signed up for Post.News. It's supposed to be the next thing after Twitter. We'll see how it turns out...

https://post.news/hakaneinarsson

I'm on the waiting list but once I get an account I'll give you a follow.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #501 on: December 27, 2022, 08:52:20 AM »
Tesla shareholders must be loving me of time and focus their CEO is giving Twitter right now!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #502 on: December 27, 2022, 08:57:31 AM »
If you think its bad for them, imagine the hypothetical scenario whereby you leveraged that stock to buy a non-profitable company significantly above the asking price. Would be enough to send someone into a bit of a spiral.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #503 on: February 03, 2023, 04:48:00 PM »
Ok - I recently discovered something on Twitter that has made my experience there somewhat more enjoyable.  I'm still spending less and less time there generally, but still.

I'm a little bit embarrassed that I never noticed this before but I'm going to put it out here in case others likewise were not aware.

Go on your feed.  Underneath the word "Home" you will see 2 choices.  "For you" and "Following"

Twitter defaults to "For You" and what I have noticed since EM took over, Twitter tends to push things onto my feed that are things would be the antithesis of things I post about or accounts that I follow.  Like the whole point is to get followers angry about something enough to post a rebuttal or snark or what have you.

Once I clicked over to "Following" I get none of that.  I pretty much get content only from accounts I like and follow with none of the annoying bait.

Please tell me I am not the last person on Earth to figure this out!   :blush
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: February 03, 2023, 04:57:23 PM »
I think it's a new feature

"for you" is a rip off of tiktok's feed called the same thing

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: February 04, 2023, 08:47:02 PM »
Instagram has the same thing, you can click on top left on "Instagram" and hit following.

Online HOF

« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2023, 03:32:16 PM »
Twitter appears to be down at the moment.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #507 on: February 08, 2023, 04:42:58 PM »
Twitter appears to be down at the moment.

It's up for me.

But, related to that, it seems the Turkish govt was getting all butthurt about people criticizing their disaster response, and shut down Twitter, even though it's also a main way disaster response communication was being handled. I got a few friends in Turkey who are absolutely livid right now about it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: February 09, 2023, 09:04:48 AM »
Ok - I recently discovered something on Twitter that has made my experience there somewhat more enjoyable.  I'm still spending less and less time there generally, but still.

I'm a little bit embarrassed that I never noticed this before but I'm going to put it out here in case others likewise were not aware.

Go on your feed.  Underneath the word "Home" you will see 2 choices.  "For you" and "Following"

Twitter defaults to "For You" and what I have noticed since EM took over, Twitter tends to push things onto my feed that are things would be the antithesis of things I post about or accounts that I follow.  Like the whole point is to get followers angry about something enough to post a rebuttal or snark or what have you.

Once I clicked over to "Following" I get none of that.  I pretty much get content only from accounts I like and follow with none of the annoying bait.

Please tell me I am not the last person on Earth to figure this out!   :blush

You are absolutely not.  I might be, but you are not.  :) :) :)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: February 09, 2023, 03:11:00 PM »
https://www.platformer.news/p/elon-musk-fires-a-top-twitter-engineer?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Hmmm.

Oof, just gives more to my theory that this guy cares wayyyy too much about getting attention.  And that engineers response seems likely too because I know for myself, I've just scrolled on past anything he has said lately.  I'm not interested in him running twitter anymore.  Twitter has been chugging along and for most people, now that his over taken has died down, have moved on to either not using the platform or using it as they did before the take over.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #511 on: March 08, 2023, 08:10:15 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/07/elon-musk-twitter-employee-feud-haraldur-thorleifsson

Ugly conduct of Chairman Musk aside, firing a guy who agreed to take a salary instead of a 100 million dollar pay-out, at a time when you are supremely overleveraged already is a bold move.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #512 on: March 08, 2023, 08:18:25 AM »
https://www.platformer.news/p/elon-musk-fires-a-top-twitter-engineer?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Hmmm.
Does that page use some sort of weird font, or are the symbols for letters their way of pay-walling it?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: March 08, 2023, 08:24:58 AM »

Hmmm.
Does that page use some sort of weird font, or are the symbols for letters their way of pay-walling it?

I didn't see any weird font when I clicked.  I do wish they'd stop using that picture of him, though.  Like something from Metropolis. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #514 on: March 08, 2023, 08:33:39 AM »

Hmmm.

I didn't see any weird font when I clicked.  I do wish they'd stop using that picture of him, though.  Like something from Metropolis.
Firefox is substituting the font on my end with gibberish. C/Ping it elsewhere resolves the issue though. Maybe he should buy out Mozilla and kill off Firefox once and for all.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #515 on: March 08, 2023, 08:38:40 AM »
I have to admit I did laugh more than I thought I would at Chris Rock skewering Musk in his Netflix special.  "Elon has negative cum.  That's why he looks so weird."   :lol
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #516 on: March 08, 2023, 08:41:51 AM »
I do wish they'd stop using that picture of him, though.  Like something from Metropolis.
That's what he actually looks like.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #517 on: March 08, 2023, 08:42:36 AM »

Hmmm.
Twitter has become a parody of a parody.

Why are my numbers tanking?
er, em, uh, uh, SPLUNGE!
You're fired!

It really is a carbon copy.

https://vimeo.com/617393744
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: March 08, 2023, 11:56:36 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/07/elon-musk-twitter-employee-feud-haraldur-thorleifsson

Ugly conduct of Chairman Musk aside, firing a guy who agreed to take a salary instead of a 100 million dollar pay-out, at a time when you are supremely overleveraged already is a bold move.

This comes off as a "gotcha" moment from this guy. Like he threw the bait out to Elon and he bit. He just comes off really bad here by responding publicly and just made it worse and worse as he kept going. I can't help but keep feeling like Elon is an attention whore.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #519 on: March 09, 2023, 08:23:11 AM »

This comes off as a "gotcha" moment from this guy. Like he threw the bait out to Elon and he bit. He just comes off really bad here by responding publicly and just made it worse and worse as he kept going. I can't help but keep feeling like Elon is an attention whore.
Of course he is.  It's his defining characteristic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2023, 08:06:33 AM »
Not going to blow up the funny thread, since it is, well, funny, but since the three examples are all Twitter I'll post here:

It makes me sad how many people are seemingly so insecure they have to troll for compliments from strangers on the interwebs.  Of course that's their prerogative, and it's a better outcome than some of them, but it's still a sign that something is desperately, tragically wrong.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2023, 08:07:15 AM »
Not going to blow up the funny thread, since it is, well, funny, but since the three examples are all Twitter I'll post here:

It makes me sad how many people are seemingly so insecure they have to troll for compliments from strangers on the interwebs.  Of course that's their prerogative, and it's a better outcome than some of them, but it's still a sign that something is desperately, tragically wrong.

Like.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: March 10, 2023, 08:12:14 AM »

Like.

I get what you did there!!    Believe me, though, if that was your message, if I was looking for arbitrary self-assurance and affirmation that I was the bomb-diddly, I wouldn't be posting what I post on DTF.   ::)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #523 on: March 10, 2023, 08:17:39 AM »
Speaking of twitter, I read this article yesterday and I get that it is within his rights to do this, but it is a D*** move IMO:

No one knows who’s next for the chop. Managers were recently told to provide a list of people who ought to be promoted...many of those managers were subsequently fired and replaced by those they’d recommended, as part of a cost-cutting drive.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: March 10, 2023, 04:42:58 PM »

Well, I'll go a bit further and just general trolling on the internet.  It's sad. Like on my youtube channel people sometimes say really mean things.  And I just have to ask, why? And the only thing I can think of is it's for the attention.